Search:

SIYE Time:11:43 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Ministry Six Uncovered
By Count Westwest

- Text Size +

Category: The Interview Challenge (2009-2)
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 23
Summary: ** Winner of Best Overall and Best Security in The Interview Challenge **
Two months after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries Harry and his friends set the record straight.
Hitcount: Story Total: 7530



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This story is mostly drawn from canon but it also incorporates some elements of the movie.




ChapterPrinter


The Ministry Six Uncovered
The Quibbler reveals what really happened at the Department of Mysteries
by special correspondent Rita Skeeter


I was mildly surprised when I was contacted by Hermione Granger, a longtime friend of Harry Potter, to arrange an interview with the six Hogwarts students that participated in the daring raid of the Ministry of Magic two months ago. She had previously arranged my exclusive interview with The-Boy-Who-Lived to discuss his assertion that He-Who-Must-Not Be-Named had returned despite the denials by the Ministry. As on that other occasion, strict rules were set as to what questions could be asked during the interview. It was also specified that no Quick Quote Quills could be used, as Mr. Potter seems to have developed an aversion to them. As a journalist such conditions are difficult to accept but Ms. Granger can be very persuasive. She advised me that Mr. Potter had become concerned about the wild rumors circulating in the semi-official, and tabloid press about the battle at the Ministry and that he had decided to set the record straight. All that was known with certainty up to this point was the Harry Potter was involved, that escaped convict Sirius Black had died as a result and that a major duel between He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and Albus Dumbledore had taken place at the Ministry Atrium. The resulting damage to the Atrium is still being repaired.

Those of us who have followed the adventures of Mr. Potter up to now, know that if he was at the Ministry, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, his inseparable best mates, could not be far behind. The identity of the three other students, however, has been the source of great speculation. The periodical Teen Witch Weekly has run photos and even interviews with present and former students claiming to have participated in the raid. The speculation generally centers on the most handsome boys of the Hogwarts student population, a fact that irritates Ms. Granger to no end. The first detail revealed to me by Ms. Granger about the raid was that two of the other three students present were in fact girls and most surprisingly, that they were only fourth-years at the time.

Another source of irritation for Potter and his friends has been the portrayal of the events in The Daily Prophet in a semi-official capacity. The students are invariably portrayed as reckless juvenile delinquents who caused great property damage throughout the Ministry. The Prophet also praises the generosity of Prime Minister Fudge for not pressing charges, for not demanding reparation payments and (this was the last straw for Mr. Potter) for his timely arrival at the scene to save the lives of Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and friends. In this interview the wizarding community will finally discover how six teenage Hogwarts students came to be at the Ministry and how they became involved in a running battle with a dozen Death Eaters. We'll also have details of their rescue by member of the reestablished Order of the Phoenix, the duel between Albus Dumbledore and He-Who-Must-Not-Be Named and the disgraceful security situation at the Ministry.

The day of the interview I was picked up at the offices of The Quibbler by former Hogwarts professor, Remus Lupin. He indicated that the "kids" were celebrating Harry Potter's birthday and that we would take a portkey to their location for security reasons. We landed in an alley behind a large Muggle establishment in London. It was not only a restaurant, but also some sort of indoor carnival where Muggles play billiards, darts, video games and other forms of Muggle entertainment. I questioned the wisdom of meeting in such a place to Mr. Lupin, who simply replied that Harry was hiding "in plain sight". We found Ms. Granger sitting at a table doing what she termed "light reading" and after a quick greeting, we set out to look for Potter and his friends in the noisy establishment.

We found him playing a strange Muggle table game in which a seemingly enchanted floating disc is pushed with paddles with the aim of introducing it into a slot defended by the opponent in order to score a point. Ms. Granger called the game "air hockey". Mr. Potter was playing against a small but very pretty redhead girl, and they were cheered on by three other teenagers. One of them I immediately recognized as Ron Weasley from my previous encounters with Mr. Potter. To my surprise Ms. Luna Lovegood, a blond Ravenclaw whom I'd met at The Quibbler offices during my previous interview with Mr. Potter, was also present and distractedly following the game. At this point it must be said the Ms. Lovegood is the daughter of the Editor in Chief of The Quibbler, Xenophilius Lovegood. After I greeted her, Ms. Granger introduced me to a plump, blond boy called Neville Longbottom, from Gryffindor. After my inquiry, Ms. Granger told me that Harry's opponent was Ginny Weasley, the sister of Ron Weasley. I was struck by the speed and skill with which both Mr. Potter and Ms. Weasley were playing, a fact attributed to their "seeker reflexes" by Ms. Granger. She also pointed out that Ms. Weasley had been the Gryffindor seeker after Mr. Potter's suspension (because of fighting) and that she had led the team to winning the House Cup. Even though both teens were laughing and teasing each other, one could tell neither of them wanted to lose. In the end Ms. Weasley won amid the wild cheers of the others. Mr. Potter jokingly protested that Ms. Weasley had cheated because she had distracted him by constantly leaning over the table and flashing him, a comment that earned him a friendly but rather hard punch to the arm by Ms. Weasley. It must be pointed out that Ms. Weasley was wearing a pair of blue jeans and a skimpy, green tank top that accentuated her figure.

After we all sat down at the table, we ordered dinner and Mr. Lupin cast a Muffliato spell. Our interview could finally start.

The Quibbler (TQ): Thank you for granting us this interview Mr. Potter. As you know, the identity of the so-called "Ministry Six" has been the fodder of a lot of speculation for the last couple of months. Would you please formally introduce the friends that went with you to the Ministry?

Harry Potter (HP): Certainly. Let me say publicly how grateful I am for having such brave and loyal friends. They were willing to literally go on a suicide mission with me, despite my objections and knowing they would have to face Death Eaters and possibly Voldemort himself. To my right is Ginny Weasley, next is her brother Ron Weasley, followed by Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom. They are all Gryffindors as am I, of course. Last, but certainly not least, you have Luna Lovegood, from Ravenclaw. I want to categorically deny that Blaise Zabini, Romilda Vane or Cormac McLaggen had any role or participation in the events at the Ministry as they have claimed to the press. In particular I want to deny that there is any sort of relationship between Romilda Vane and me, as a matter of fact I don't even know who she is.

TQ: Would you care to make a formal announcement as to who you are in a relationship with?

At this point the teenagers exchange knowing glances and smiles. Ms. Weasley looks down, her long red hair hiding her face as Mr. Potter takes some time to think before he answers.

HP: I'd like to discuss that with my girlfriend first. I don't know if a formal announcement is desirable or necessary.

TQ: So, you do have a girlfriend.

HP: We are here to discuss the Ministry, not my girlfriend.

TQ: OK. Could you tell us why you went there in the first place.

HP: There was a prophecy made about Voldemort and me when I was born. That prophecy was stored at the Hall of Prophecies. I was fooled by Voldemort into believing he had captured my godfather, Sirius Black and that he was torturing him at the Hall of Prophecies. He wanted me to get the prophecy and hand it over because only the person about whom the prophecy is made can retrieve it.

TQ: How did you get from Hogwarts to London? None of you are old enough to apparate and I understand that all the floo connections at Hogwarts were blocked.

HP: Actually, the floo connection at Mrs. Umbridge office, who was the headmaster at the time, was open but we got captured by Umbridge and her Inquisitorial Squad. We ended up in the Forbidden Forest and flew Thestrals to London.

(For details into the shocking happenings at Hogwarts during the tenure of Dolores Umbridge, see page 12.)

TQ: Thestrals! Aren't those creatures that only people who have seen death can see?

HP: Yes. Luna and I were the only ones that could see them. It was Luna's idea to fly to London with them.

Hermione Granger (HG): That was the worst experience in my life... flying suspended in the air. It was horrible.

Ron Weasley (RW): Worst than fighting Death Easters and almost getting killed?

HG: Yes!

Neville Longbottom (NL): I agree. I was expecting to fall off all the time.

TQ: What about you, Ms. Weasley?

Ginny Weasley (GW): I enjoyed it. I love flying.

TQ: How did you come up with the idea Ms. Lovegood?

Luna Lovegood (LL): I know a lot about magical creatures (she smiles dreamily). Thestrals are lovely animals, and they like to serve wizards in need. You can will them go anywhere once they trust you. I love Thestrals... everyone should own one.

TQ: What happened next Mr. Potter?

HP: We went into the Hall of Prophecies at the Department of Mysteries. We looked for Sirius but couldn't find him. We found the prophecy though. When I grabbed it a dozen Death Eaters led by Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange appeared. I realized I had been fooled and led everyone into a trap.

The-Boy-Who-Lived lowers his head, sadness evident in his face. Ms. Weasley gently rubs his back while Ms. Lovegood gets up and waves her arms wildly as if trying to shoo away some invisible flying insect. Mr. Potter starts to laugh silently and soon the entire table is laughing

HP: Did you get them all Luna?

LL: Yes, I did (she seems pleased with herself). Always beware of Umgubular Slashkilters between March and July. They are related to Dementors, you know, they make you sad.

TQ: Err... Your friend Luna is quite peculiar isn't she, Mr. Potter?

HP: She's extraordinary. If there is one thing, I learned that night, it's never to underestimate Luna or Ginny. Luna has the quickest draw of any of us and she is also cool under fire. She normally carries her wand over her ear which is really practical because it makes it quick and easy to draw. (Potter turns towards Ms. Lovegood who seems distracted) You'd make a great cowboy gunslinger, Luna.

Ms. Lovegood turns wide eyed and dreamily smiles at Mr. Potter as the others chuckle.

TQ: Right. So, the six of you are surrounded at the Hall of Prophecies by twelve Death Eaters. How did you get away?

HP: All of us fired Reducto curses at the shelves at the same time. (He grins widely,) Ginny's was a bit too powerful though, she almost got everyone killed.

TQ: How come?

HP: It started a chain reaction that completely destroyed the room. Everyone, including the Death Eaters, had to scramble for their lives. At this point we got separated. I found myself with Herminone and Neville and could not find the other three in our group. We finally got together again in the Thought Chamber.

TQ: What happened with your group Mr. Weasley?

RW: I was running away with Ginny and Luna but just as we were getting into one of the chambers I was hit by a curse, probably a Confundus charm, because it made me very confused. I don't recall much after that.

TQ: Can you continue the story Ms. Weasley?

GW: Yes. When Ron was hit by the curse, he started acting silly... sillier than usual anyway (the rest laugh). He developed an intense interest in Uranus...

TQ: What? (They laugh again and Ms. Weasley flashes a sly smile)

GW: He kept laughing saying "Uranus" over and over... it was rather annoying actually. Luna and I had to push him towards the other door while firing curses at the four Death Eaters that followed us into the chamber. There was a pretty intense exchange of curses, but we managed to avoid them or block them. I managed to put a full body bind on one Death Eater and Luna stunned another one. We made our way forward dragging Ron along but then we walked by the Moon and Ron started making silly jokes about Luna's "home planet". I felt like hexing him myself at that point. Luna and I had to stop to block the curses the two remaining Death Eaters were firing at us but one of their Reducto curses broke my ankle. Luna didn't like that at all, it's the only time I've ever seen her angry. She destroyed the planet Pluto right on the face of the Death Eater that hit me, and he started screaming and running around holding his face. He ran into his partner and knocked him to the floor. I took the opportunity to stun him while Luna petrified the one that was on the floor. I don't know how I got up or managed to walk, but somehow, we made it out of that chamber and ran into Harry's group in the Thought Chamber.

TQ: Why do you call it the Thought Chamber?

GW: There were giant brains floating on a tank full of green liquid.

LL: Those were not brains, Ginny. Those were Aquavirius Maggots. (Ms. Granger rolls her eyes.)

HG: There is no such thing as Aquavirius Maggots!

LL: Yes, there are. They feed on your thoughts. It has to be true. I read it in my dad's paper.

GW: Whatever they were, Ron had the brilliant idea to Accio one of them. So maybe he can tell us what they were.

RW: They looked like brains but did act like maggots, so maybe Luna is not too far off... I can't believe I just said that (he looks stunned) ... anyway, I felt like they were sucking my thoughts. They also tasted horrible.

GW: I told you not to touch it with your tongue!

RW: I was confounded! Why would I lick brains or maggots? I thought (his eyes flash to Ms. Granger as his ears turn red) it was... ice cream.

TQ: In the meantime, what was happening to your group Mr. Potter?

HP: Things were going even worse for us. We first ran into the Time Chamber where I managed to stun one Death Eater. Another one tried to AK (ed. note: Avada Kedavdra) Hermione but I managed to tackle the bastard. Neville disarmed the Death Eater but also accidentally disarmed me. Hermione stunned him and he was knocked into a bell jar. Then the weirdest thing I've ever seen happened. His head turned into the head of a baby and then started aging back to his adult head before turning back into a baby again and starting the process all over. When he had a baby head he acted like a baby and seemed to need his mommy and as he aged, he got meaner and meaner.

HG: It was definitely strange. He was coming towards me saying "I love you! Come closer! I want to kill you!"

HP: We got out of that chamber and ran into the next but were almost immediately hit by impediment jinxes by Dolohov and Jugson that knocked us down. Dolohov was about to alert the other Death Eaters when Hermione silenced him. I managed to put Jugson in a full body bind but Dolohov cursed Hermione with spell that almost killed her...

The-Boy-Who-Lived lowers his head and Ms. Weasley rubs his back again. Their hands seem to move under the table. Mr. Potter turns to smile at her and continues.

HP: I ran to help Hermione while Dolohov attacked Neville who was trying to get up from under a table. He broke Neville's wand and nose with a kick. Dolohov had his wand pointed at me when the baby head Death Eater burst into the room and distracted him. That gave me the chance to body bind him. Neville carried Hermione and we went into the next chamber, the Thought Chamber, where we ran into Ginny, Ron and Luna. That's when things started getting desperate. We were trying to seal the doors so the Death Eaters could not get in, but Luna was blasted away just as she was sealing the last one. She crashed into a table and lost consciousness although she was not too badly injured. Ginny was pale and in pain but still tried to fight. She was stunned by one of the Death Eaters that burst into the room. Ron was licking brains (Potter smiles at his friend who scowls back at him) and Hermione was almost dead, so it was just Neville and me at that point. The only thing that I could think of was that I needed to get the Death Eaters away from my friends, so I raised the prophecy high over my head knowing they would not dare risk destroying it. I ran out of that chamber, but Neville followed me and we found ourselves in the Death Chamber, where the Veil is. We were quickly surrounded by ten Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy demanded I hand over the prophecy and Bellatrix Lestrange put a Cruciatus curse on Neville to force me to give it to her. Just as I was to hand it over my godfather, Sirius Black and four other members of The Order of the Phoenix arrived, and the fighting started again.

TQ: Who were the new combatants?

HP: I can only identify one other person, Remus Lupin who you have already met. The other three are active-duty Ministry employees and need to remain nameless.

TQ: What happened next?

HP: Well, it was pandemonium. Somewhere along the line Walden McNair grabbed me from behind but Neville stabbed him in the eye with Hermione's wand. We tried to get away, but Dolohov hit Neville with a Tarantallegra jinx and then tried to use the same curse he had used on Hermione. Thank Merlin I managed to block most of it with a shield charm. I handed the prophecy to Neville so I could defend us better and attempted to get away, but Malfoy tried to stop us. Remus stepped in front of him and told us to run away. As we were making our way up the stairs out the Death Chamber Neville dropped the prophecy because his legs were still jinxed by the Tarantallegra.

TQ: Did it break?

At this point the waiters arrived with our meals. Mr. Lupin surreptitiously ended the Muffliato spell, and the meal was served. Mr. Potter had a hamburger with chips and a side of nachos. Some of the others had steaks, grilled chicken or fried shrimp.

RW: (He points to his Rib-eye steak.) The suspense is killing me, but I guess that's better than Aquavirius Maggots. (He immediately starts eating ignoring Ms. Granger's exasperated look.)

After the waiters leave and the Muffliato spell is restored, Mr. Potter continues the story.

HP: Yes it broke...

GW: Eat first, Harry. Your food is going to get cold.

HP: It's alright Ginny. I promise not to chew and talk at the same time.

TQ: So the prophecy is lost?

HP: No. I know what it said but I'm not telling.

TQ: What happened next?

HP: Dumbledore arrived and started rounding up the Death Eaters fairly quickly. At the same time Sirius and Bellatrix were duelling...a curse pushed him through the Veil...

Everyone on the table stops eating in silent solidarity with the visible shaken Boy-Who-Lived. Ms. Weasley leans into him and rests her head on his shoulder. Their hands disappear under the table. Ms. Lovegood gently puts her hand on his back.

LL: You will see him again Harry. (The tone of her voice leaves no doubt that she believes what she just said.)

The-Boy-Who-Lived composes himself and raises his head resolutely. He eats pensively for a while before he continues.

HP: Bellatrix tried to get away and I followed her into the Ministry Atrium. After I stopped her I wanted to hurt her, but couldn't. At that point Voldemort arrived and he tried to AK me. Dumbledore came into the Atrium and the two of them started duelling. It was scary and impressive at the same time. The power they radiated was palpable and both of them pretty much trashed the Atrium. Dumbledore was getting the upper hand so Voldemort tried to possess my body hoping that Dumbledore would kill me, which of course he never tried.

TQ: What a horrible experience! What was like having You-Know-Who possess you.

HP: I tried to fight it and it was very painful. I could feel he is full of hate and that deep down he is just a pathetic, insecure, mean, little bully who rules by fear and intimidation. Then I thought of my godfather and my friends and how bravely all of them had fought for me out of their own free will, without intimidation or fear and I felt a great surge of love and affection for all of them (his face turns red). Voldemort could not stand that feeling and he left my body screaming in pain. It was not until then that Fudge and the aurors showed up. They briefly saw Voldemort before he disapparated.

TQ: You are telling us all of this happened and no one from the Ministry was in sight until You-Know-Who disapparated?

HP: That's exactly what I'm saying. The six of us and later the six members from The Order fought twelve Death Eaters in a running battle over several hours and we never came across a single employee guarding the Ministry. It is shocking that the records and secrets of the wizarding world are so carelessly looked after by the present administration. Let me make clear that Prime Minister Fudge had no participation whatsoever in the battle at the Ministry. He just was a late witness to the events as were the aurors that arrived with him as part of his security detail. I challenge him to declare under Veritaserum as to the veracity of what I've just said, and I'd be willing to do the same. I would also like to point out that a close associate and contributor to the Prime Minister, Lucius Malfoy, was the leader of the Death Eaters that invaded the Ministry. Hopefully minister Fudge will choose his friends more carefully in the future.

TQ: I understand that under the stewardship of Dolores Umbridge there was only theoretical instruction in defense at Hogwarts. How was it possible for all of you to survive while being outnumbered 2 to 1 by Death Eaters? More specifically, how could two fourth-year girls take on four Death Eaters and defeat them?

GW: You're asking me? (She points to herself. After a brief pause, she answers.) As you know at the beginning of the school year The Ministry and more specifically, Fudge, was in denial about the fact that Tom (the given name of You-Know-Who) had returned. He sent that cow Umbridge to undermine Dumbledore and keep an eye on the school. She stopped all practical instruction in Defense Against the Dark Arts, so Hermione had the idea of Harry teaching students how to defend themselves. Harry, Hermione and Ron started a defense club that we named "Dumbledore's Army" just to irritate The Ministry and Umbridge. Harry is a great teacher. Luna and I learned everything we know about duelling from them.

HP: Ginny is being too modest; the brilliant name was her idea by the way. Dumbledore told me recently I have attracted the five most extraordinary witches and wizards of this generation to my side. (They all look surprised by his words. Mr. Longbottom's mouth is hanging open)

TQ: Those are strong words.

HP: I agree with his assessment though. It seems that Fate is finally going to start paying me back for all that she has taken from me.

A group of waiters approaches clapping and making a lot of noise. They hold a large chocolate birthday cake. Mr. Lupin once again undoes the Muffliato spell, and everyone starts singing 'Happy Birthday' to Mr. Potter who turns beet red. Muggles from the nearby tables join in the singing and clapping. After Mr. Potter blows out the sixteen candles Ms. Granger approaches and gives him a hug and a kiss on the cheek, followed by Ms. Lovegood that does the same. Ms. Weasley hesitates for a moment, eyeing this reporter warily, but then hugs and firmly kisses Mr. Potter on the lips. She beams at him, and he beams back... the game is over aspiring witches... Mr. Potter looks besotted and glows with happiness as all of them eat some cake.

HP: I think that will do for the interview. We need to get back to the games.

TQ: Thanks to all of you for granting The Quibbler this interview.

The teens noisily walk towards the Muggle games. The frightening and horrible events at The Ministry of Magic less than two months seem far away. The Ministry Six walk arm in arm with carefree confidence despite the challenges that wait ahead for them and disappear into the crowd.

Reviews 23
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear