Search:

SIYE Time:14:39 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


September First
By melodylaner

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 10
Summary: Ginny Weasley used to look forward to that day every year. Now she wishes it would never come.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5269



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
It's been a year since I last wrote anything. I'm out of practice, but I hope you like it.
A big thank you to sanidad, who beta-read this. I can't thank him enough.




ChapterPrinter



September 1st







“I can't believe he's really going,” muttered Ginny.

Harry pulled her closer and sighed against her hair. “I know. He's so excited, though. It's the only thing that keeps me from locking him up in his room and sending Marauder to Hogwarts in his place,” he whispered.

Ginny laughed.

They'd been through this countless times in the past few hours, while their oldest son paraded around the house wearing his brand new school robes. James was going to Hogwarts. The idea terrified her beyond belief. It was not as if he would be in any danger - she knew that. The days when Death Eaters taught at Hogwarts were long gone. But that still did not lessen her worry and the dread she felt when she thought of her first child, who was still a child after all, being away from home. She just was not ready to let him go yet.

However, every time she got paranoid, she remembered the look of elation on James' face when he received his letter. In that moment, she realised that, no matter how much she wanted to, she could never take that away from him, not when he had been counting down the days since he turned eleven.

It was only a week ago that they had gone to Diagon Alley, but Ginny was sure that she would never forget that day. Her nephew, Fred, was starting Hogwarts this year along with James. Seeing as the two boys had been inseparable since they were born and George had told her that he would be really busy at the shop, she and Harry had somehow agreed to take his troublemaker of a son with them to shop for school supplies. Needless to say, it did not take them long to regret their decision.

James and Fred had nearly blown up Ollivander's shop while trying to find a wand. Now, it would have been totally understandable if they had not kept experimenting even after they had been chosen by a wand, just for the fun of it. She had had to drag them out of the shop, while Harry had held a frightened Lily, whom they had teased all the way to Flourish and Blotts. When they discovered how boring book shopping was, they had kept themselves occupied by trying to find a way to snatch their new wands from her handbag. After many failed attempts and a lecture that could rival her Mum's, they quit and things were pretty quiet for a while - that is, until they went to buy pets.

They conveniently ignored her warnings that only frogs, rats and owls were allowed at Hogwarts, and went through every single creature in the shop. Only when a snake they had accidentally unleashed nearly strangled Al did they finally choose two frogs under Harry's unusually stern gaze. James had named his Marauder, and he had had lots of fun setting him free and chasing him down the length of Diagon Alley. They continually bumped into unsuspecting bypassers until Ginny threatened to feed Marauder to the family owl.

It had been so easy to get hung up in the rush of shopping and packing and forget that her son was actually leaving. It was only when she woke up this morning that it hit her that this would be the last time James came bursting into their bedroom to wake them up with his laughter. Now they barely had one hour before he boarded the Hogwarts Express and left his family behind.

“In which house exactly would a frog be sorted into?”, she asked half-heartedly, returning to reality.

“He's not just any frog. He's Marauder. He'd be in Gryffindor, of course.” Harry pulled back slightly to look at her.

“Yeah, I bet he'd make great friends with Trevor,” she said avoiding his eyes.

“Ginny, look at me,” he said caressing her hair gently.

She looked stubbornly around the kitchen, wishing they could just keep talking about frogs and ignore the loud sounds from upstairs that indicated that James was trying to lift his trunk.

Harry tilted her chin up with his hand, looking straight into her eyes. “He's going to be okay.”

“I know,” she sighed, leaning into his touch. “It's me I'm worried about. I'm going to miss him so much. Who's going to wake me up by jumping up and down on our bed?”

“I could do that,” Harry said with a smile.

“Harry, if you jumped on our bed, there would be no up and down. It would collapse on the spot,” she said, a little grin forming on her face.

“Are you calling me fat?” he asked amusedly.

Ginny took in Harry's tall frame. At thirty-six, he looked even better than he did when they first got together at sixteen. Being an Auror had turned him from a skinny teenager into a fully grown man over a couple of years. Now he stood over six feet, though still shorter than Ron, and was built enough to make her heart beat faster every time they were alone.

“No, I'm just saying that you're much heavier than an eleven-year-old,” she answered, running her hands through his hair.

“Fair enough,” he whispered and brushed her lips with his.

“You're not going to distract me,” she breathed, though his face was too close and she knew it was a lost battle.

“I can try,” he murmured.

Then he crushed her lips in a deep kiss and she was lost. It was funny how after all these years, she still lost all coherent thought when Harry kissed her. She moaned as their tongues danced and her hands trailed down his back. He started kissing down her neck, and she wrapped her legs around his waist, helping him lift her on the counter.

“Mum! Dad! Ew! Gross!”

Ginny pulled back unwillingly and looked over Harry's shoulder. James was standing in the doorway, arms crossed in front of his chest, glaring at them.

“You won't think it's that gross when you're older,” Harry muttered, blushing spectacularly.

Ginny hopped off the counter and straightened her clothes. James had a gift for interrupting them at the most embarrassing moments. That was one thing she was not going to miss.

“Of course I will. Girls are freaky,” he said, grimacing.

“Right,” Ginny huffed. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yup.” He ran a hand through his jet black hair and raised one finger at them threateningly. “I'm gonna go fetch Al and Lily. You two - don't touch each other!” he said through narrowed eyes and bolted up the stairs.

Harry raised his eyebrows pointedly. “When did he start ordering us around?”

Ginny shrugged. “When he saw that we obeyed, I guess.”

Harry smiled. “Right. Are you ready to go?”

“I'll never be ready.”

“Okay. Promise not to run after the Hogwarts Express?”

Ginny knew that Harry was no less worried than she was. If anything, he had spent more nights than her lying awake worrying himself silly, while pretending to be asleep. However, he had pushed his own fears aside so that he could be there for her and she loved him for it. She would be strong for him too. She owed him that much.

“Promise.”
Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear