Search:

SIYE Time:8:42 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Aurors and Schoolgirls
By Northumbrian

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts, Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language
Rating: PG
Reviews: 151
Summary:
The Wizarding War is over.

For some Auror training has begun; their lives are centred round London, and the Ministry of Magic. For others, there is the inevitable return to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; their lives are centred around schooling in Scotland. Do these parted pairings, these divided duos, have different destinations and divergent destinies? When, where, and how can these separated souls meet? Holidays, Hogsmeade and Quidditch.

Hitcount: Story Total: 89051; Chapter Total: 7332





Author's Notes:
Thanks again to my insightful beta's Andrea and AmelĂ­e. Constructive criticism is always gratefully received.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


3. Hogsmeade: Miscommunication

Ron took a step backwards and drew his wand. He was fast, a lot faster than Ginny had expected. Auror training was obviously doing him good. Ron was watching her warily, and Hermione was staring angrily at her. Ginny, still fuming at the interruption, considered her options.

Behind her, Harry spoke, ‘C’mon, Ginny,’ he suggested quietly. She heard the chair move and felt his hand, a soft and gentle pressure on her shoulder. ‘We should really start work. We need to get these decorations put up.’ She lowered her wand and turned to face him. Her boyfriend held up some streamers and looked at her hopefully. Her anger faded. This had been Harry’s idea. He had organised everything himself. She was not going to be the one to spoil it for him. She smiled and kissed him.

‘Good idea,’ she said, smiling at her brother. ‘Come on, Ron, what are you waiting for?’

The Hog’s Head was soon unrecognisable; streamers, banners and balloons were hanging everywhere. Aberforth Dumbledore scowled and grumbled as the four worked, though, just for a second, Ginny thought that she caught a twinkle in his eye. It wasn’t long before the walls of the dingy old pub were hidden behind a riot of colourful decorations. The largest banner read “Dumbledore’s Army, 3rd Anniversary Party.”

Ginny and Hermione were still busy decorating the tablecloth when Luna and Dean arrived, hand-in-hand. A solemn Dennis Creevey followed closely behind. Luna and Dean, at Ginny’s suggestion, added the Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff crests to the cloth. They worked well together, and produced an impressive and colourful table decoration. Justin, the last of the students, arrived ten minutes before noon; he was sporting a black eye.

‘Raveena’s brother doesn’t like me,’ he explained, as Hermione treated his bruise.

‘He can’t go around punching people,’ said Hermione crossly. ‘Especially not you, Justin, you’re Head Boy. You should report him to the Headmistress.’

‘I was giving his sister a goodbye kiss; he took offence at my behaviour,’ Justin explained, shrugging off the injury. ‘Raveena didn’t tell me that she was only fifteen, but I should have realised. We’re not in school now, Hermione, and he thought that I deserved it.’

‘Was it worth it?’ asked Ginny, grinning. ‘Did the kiss make up for the black eye?’

‘No,’ Justin said sadly, ‘not really. It was rather disappointing, in fact. It doesn’t matter, though. There are plenty of other pretty girls in the school, and a lot of them are closer to my age.’ He winked at Ginny as he spoke. She simply laughed at him.

By noon, the room was ready. They were finished just in time, as almost everyone arrived within the following ten minutes. The original Dumbledore’s Army came into the pub in a confusing and good-natured rush, and the bar was suddenly filled with gossip and banter.

George Weasley had been one of the first to arrive. Before greeting his brother and sister, he strode over to Dennis Creevey,and slapped him on the back, almost flattening the tiny fifth year. George was followed in by three Hufflepuffs. Justin hugged Susan Bones, who responded with no more than a prim and polite nod, and then shook Ernie Macmillan’s hand. He greeted Hannah Abbott rather awkwardly, shaking his ex-girlfriend’s hand embarrassedly before moving away.

Katie Bell strolled into the room chatting animatedly to Angelina Johnson. Alicia Spinnet, and Lee Jordan, who were arm-in-arm followed immediately behind.

Lavender Brown was next, she arrived with the Patil twins and Seamus Finnegan. Lavender was still in her wheelchair. Her face, framed by her dark brown curls, was pale: her cheeks were hollow and her violet eyes were sunken and dark-rimmed.. Harry and Ginny immediately made their way across to speak to her. The Healers’ latest prognosis wasn’t good; “unlikely ever to walk again,” Lavender told them. She was understandably bitter and uncharacteristically bad tempered and snappy, especially with poor, doting Seamus.

Ginny watched the four latest arrivals carefully Seamus, Lavender and Parvati had, with Neville, been the only four seventh-years in Gryffindor last year; Seamus and Lavender had become close, and Ginny had watched their relationship develop until her sudden departure at Easter. Now, Seamus considered it his duty to stick by his injured girlfriend as she’d stuck by him after the beatings he’d received from the Carrows.

Half an hour later, after everyone had complimented Harry and expressed their surprise at the party, various groups had formed. Harry was talking to the trio of young women he still thought of as “the Chasers”, and also to Lee. Katie was trying to persuade Harry to attend another charity ball. He was, as Ginny expected, bringing up dozens of objections. In different circumstances, she might have tried to persuade her boyfriend, but the ball was during term time, and as she would not be able to attend she selfishly left them to it and instead did a head count. There were twenty-three people in the bar, not counting Aberforth. Two people hadn’t arrived. She quickly identified the two missing people. Neither Cho nor Neville had arrived. Bloody Cho, bloody Romilda, Ginny thought.

She continued her observations, glancing from group to group and observing the changing relationships with interest. Lavender, she noticed, was sitting alone, looking lost and miserable. The Patil twins were both talking to the Ravenclaw boys. Seamus, unusually absent from Lavender’s side, was relaxed and laughing alongside Dean and Luna. Ginny strolled over to Lavender, pulled up a chair and tried to cheer up the wheelchair-bound witch.

‘He doesn’t laugh often these days,’ grumbled Lavender, nodding towards Seamus. ‘And never when he’s with me. He needs a girl he can dance with.’

‘Perhaps he needs you,’ suggested Ginny. Lavender shook her head.

‘We were on the verge of splitting up when Harry arrived in May,’ said Lavender in a confidential whisper. ‘If Seamus hadn’t been so badly beaten the week before Harry arrived, and if I hadn’t been crippled in the battle, we’d both be unattached. He thinks he’s being noble, but he’s not; he’s being stupid. I’ve told him, but he just tells me that I’m not thinking straight and blames it on the lack of painkillers. He needs to get a life.’

‘Would you like me to talk to him?’ asked Ginny.

‘No point,’ said Lavender. ‘Parvati and Padma have both tried.’ She shrugged her shoulders and turned to Ginny. ‘Oh, sod him!’ she said, grinning conspiratorially. ‘Tell me about school. I hear that the Head Girl is a complete pain in the backside, and the Head Boy snogs fifteen-year-olds.’

‘At least you’re keeping up with the gossip,’ said Ginny. ‘What else do you know?’

Lavender managed a giggle, and then frowned. ‘Even laughing hurts,’ she grumbled.

She was, as usual, full of juicy gossip. Ginny discovered that both Padma and Michael were working in the Department of Mysteries. In return, she told Lavender that Katie had refused an offer of a place as Chaser for Puddlemere United in order to continue her charity work. Katie had been signed up the previous year, but the Muggle-born Registration Commission had put a stop to that and Muggle-born Katie had been forced to go on the run instead of following a promising Quidditch career.

Parvati, Ginny was surprised to discover, was training to be a Healer. Lavender had just asked Ginny about Harry when Cho Chang finally arrived. She looked flustered, but glamorous, in a smart Muggle suit.

Harry’s former girlfriend burst through the door, offering extravagant apologies for her late arrival. She made a conversation stopping entrance. She always did. Ginny scowled — then, realising what she was doing, tried to set her expression into one of disinterested neutrality. The pretty, dark haired girl was still smiling at everyone and saying hello when the pub door opened again.

‘Sorry I’m late,’ Neville Longbottom peered apologetically around the door. ‘I can’t stay, sorry.’ Everyone turned to see the last arrival. Ginny smiled at him; brave, clever, wonderful, noble, hopeless Neville.

‘Bloody Romilda,’ muttered Lavender. Ginny nodded.

‘Of course you can stay, Nev,’ Ginny told him, dashing to the door. She grabbed his arm and pulled him unto the room. ‘Harry’s organised a surprise party for us all.’ Neville looked around the room, taking in all of the smiling faces; he looked worried.

‘But, Romilda,’ Neville began, ‘she’s outside, she’s waiting for me.’

‘Didn’t you tell her about the meeting, Nev?’ Lavender asked, wheeling herself over to join them.

‘Yes, but …’ Neville looked at Lavender in confusion. ‘She, er…’

Ginny smiled grimly. ‘I think that I need to have a word with Romilda! You can’t be the only one missing, Nev. Not after everything you did last year.’

‘I’m coming, too, Ginny,’ announced Lavender loudly. ‘Will you help me to get outside, please? Come on, girls.’

As Ginny began to push Lavender towards the door, Luna broke free from Dean, who had an arm around her waist. Ignoring his protests, Luna too moved towards the door. Susan, Padma, Parvati, and also, for some reason, Hannah Abbott followed.

All but Hannah had been at Hogwarts last year when Neville, Ginny, and Luna had taken charge of the DA. Ginny looked at the determined expressions on the girls’ faces; they certainly weren’t going to let Neville leave. When the scar-faced trainee Auror moved to follow them, Hannah stepped between him and the door and put a hand on his arm. Neville stopped instantly, terrified. Ginny smiled ruefully as she wheeled Lavender outside. Neville could face Death Eaters and even Voldemort with grim determination. Girls, on the other hand … he was almost as bad as Harry.

When the six girls stepped outside, they discovered a small crowd. Romilda Vane stood in the centre of the cluster of curious onlookers. Neville’s girlfriend was wearing very low-cut robes, which were attracting a lot of attention from most of the males in the crowd.

‘What’s going on?’ someone shouted.

‘Private party,’ said Ginny, dismissively, ‘can’t you read?’

‘Romilda,’ called Lavender ‘Find something else to do. Nev’s staying.’

‘How dare you…’ Romilda began, striding towards the pub.

‘Easily,’ snapped Lavender angrily. ‘I’d dare pretty much anything these days. Want to try me?’

While Lavender was sniping at Romilda, Susan and Padma walked over to the Gryffindor sixth-year. Padma put a hand on Romilda’s bare shoulder and whispered something in her ear.

‘What?’ squealed Romilda.

‘You heard,’ Padma said quietly. ‘Do you want me to repeat it, or are you leaving?’

Romilda blushed scarlet, turned on her heels, and stormed off. ‘Keep him! I’ll find something better to do!’ she snapped.

‘What on earth did you say to her?’ Lavender demanded. Ginny was curious, too. Perhaps those rumours about the Prefects catching Romilda in a compromising position with a Slytherin boy last year were true. Susan shook her head, refusing to speak. Padma glanced at Susan, then at her twin before speaking.

‘We know things about Romilda, things that we suspect she hasn’t told Nev. She obviously hasn’t,’ Padma told Lavender.

‘Tell me,’ Lavender pleaded as the six young women returned to the bar, ignoring the questions from the crowds. Padma shook her head, but Parvati winked at her friend. ‘Later,’ she whispered.

‘Romilda’s gone,’ Lavender told Neville smugly.

‘She says that you can stay, Neville,’ Padma added. ‘And that she’ll find something else to do.’

Neville nodded uncertainly.

Ginny looked around the room, trying to find Harry. It took her some time to find him. He was in a corner at the opposite side of the table and was talking to Cho. She had her arm on Harry’s shoulder, and she was gazing intently up into his eyes. Ginny hadn’t been outside for more than three or four minutes!

‘Hot in here, isn’t it?’ Ginny asked, and pulled off her jumper. The silence was sudden and absolute. No-one spoke, no-one moved. All of the boys were looking at her chest, she realised. Most of the girls were staring at her, too. Ernie Macmillan’s mouth was hanging open. Michael Corner simply stared. Dean gave a wink and a wolf-whistle. Ron looked at her in astonishment, and began to blush. Hermione shook her head in disapproval.

George rolled his eyes and shook his head in disbelief. ‘Did you paint that on?’ he asked.

‘It is rather tight,’ Luna confirmed.

Ginny glanced down at her vest top. It was very tight; tighter than it had looked when she’d checked herself in the mirror in the dorm, and a lot tighter than she’d intended. By pure force of will she did not blush, but determinedly tried to brazen her way out of the situation.

‘If you don’t approve, you don’t have to look,’ she announced. She glanced towards Harry, hoping to see his appreciation. She was disappointed; Harry had turned his back on her and returned to his discussion with Cho. As the conversation level slowly rose to a low muttering, Ginny heard her name on several people’s lips. She, it seemed, was going to be the new topic of conversation.

She stared at Harry in disbelief; he continued to ignore her, talking quietly to Cho. She had made him uncomfortable. More than that, she’d embarrassed him, she realised. She could tell that much by his stance, even from behind.

Her stubborn streak took over. She couldn’t simply put the jumper back on again, not immediately; that would be an obvious capitulation. There was only one alternative, she would have to pretend that she was perfectly at ease.

Several boys were moving towards her, Michael and Justin were at the fore. Looking for an escape route, she spotted Neville. She strolled over to him and rescued him from an earnest and surprisingly nervous sounding Hannah Abbot. Neville was hesitantly telling Hannah about his last year at Hogwarts. Ignoring Hannah’s protests and pretending not to notice the smile from Anthony Goldstein, who was also smiling at her, Ginny grabbed Neville by the arm.

‘Tell me about Romilda,’ she asked the boy who was her best male friend, apart from Harry. Linking her arm through his, she began to drag him through the room. She hauled him closer to both Harry and Cho as she tried to hear what Harry was talking about.

‘There’s not much to tell, Ginny,’ Neville blushed. ‘I … sort of … asked her out, she said yes, and we’ve been together for four months, since just before my eighteenth birthday.’

‘What’s she like?’ Ginny asked as they walked. She kept Neville in a tight grip, desperate to make sure that he didn’t try to escape. Her vest was making him nervous. She linked her arm through his and pulled him in closer.

‘She’s …’ Neville paused uncertainly, ‘… I think that she’s nice, although Gran doesn’t like her for some reason. She’s a bit bossy sometimes, but she knows what she wants, and she works to get it.’

‘Like a hero of Hogwarts?’ suggested Ginny acidly as she continued to drag Neville closer to Harry and Cho. There was a sudden lull in the conversation.

‘…ten weeks, that should be plenty of time.’ Ginny heard Cho tell Harry, ‘I’ll see you on Wednesday.’

The volume of conversation rose as suddenly as it had fallen. Ginny heard no more. But those few words were enough. No longer interested in what Neville was saying, she stopped listening to him, interrupted his reply, excused herself, and left him bewildered and alone. She strode determinedly towards Harry and Cho. Ten weeks, Cho had said: it was ten weeks until the end of term. She was furious, and desperate to discover what they had been talking about.

Ginny found her route to Harry suddenly blocked by young men. She seemed to be surrounded by blokes. All were much taller than she was. That was nothing unusual, most people were. She was smaller than everyone in the room apart from Dennis, and even he would soon pass her. She could no longer see Harry past the guys. Anthony Goldstein smiled shyly at her, Justin grinned, Michael loomed, and Ernie hovered nervously in the background.

‘Hi, Ginny …’ Michael began. Ginny growled.

‘Out of my way all of you, or you’ll regret it,’ she ordered through clenched teeth. She glared angrily at them. They moved, but not far. She could reach Harry, but only by walking through the very narrow gap they’d created, she would have to brush past them. She wasn’t going to give in; she rudely elbowed her way between Anthony and Justin, who made no effort to move aside, but simply grinned at her. Anthony certainly seemed to enjoy the contact.

Harry still had his back to her. Cho, however, had gone. The cow!. Harry was now, once again, talking to Katie.

‘Hi, Ginny,’ Katie said, warning Harry of her approach. Ginny glared at her.

‘When’s your next Charity Ball, Katie?’ asked Ginny sharply.

‘Halloween.’ Katie sounded surprised at the question.

‘Are you going?’ Ginny quizzed Harry. He looked puzzled.

‘Do … do you want me to?’ he stammered, ‘I wasn’t going to go, not without you.’

‘You could always take someone else,’ suggested Ginny, her emotions in turmoil. She stared into his face and tried to decide whether he could be lying, whether he was going, if he was taking Cho. She waited for his reaction.

‘You want me to take someone else?’ asked Harry.

He didn’t look guilty, Ginny realised. He was confused, horrified, and suddenly very worried. As Katie watched the exchange, she looked more and more uncomfortable.

‘I think that you two need to talk,’ suggested Katie firmly, ‘I’ll leave you to persuade Harry to attend the ball, shall I?’ She left rapidly. Harry and Ginny glanced at each other. Harry looked away, and then down.

Ginny recalled her final heated argument with Dean. It had been over nothing and, as she remembered, her anger ebbed away. Suddenly worried, she examined her boyfriend carefully; he was slumped and sad. His head was down, his shoulders drooped. He was looking intently at his feet, at his shining black boots.

‘Harry,’ Ginny spoke his name softly and he lifted his head slightly. He was looking at her body, but not in the way she’d hoped and expected. He still wouldn’t look into her eyes. She began to panic. Had she pushed him too far, or was he trying to find a way to finish with her?

‘Are you all right, Harry?’ Ginny asked hesitantly. ‘Are we all right?’

Harry looked up. Ginny stepped closer and gazed up into his eyes. He looked almost frightened; his wonderful green eyes were clouded and sad. ‘I don’t know,’ he asked. ‘Are we?’

‘What’s the matter?’ she asked. ‘Have I… I thought you’d like the vest…’

Harry shrugged non-committally. She reached out an arm towards him, but he stepped back, avoiding her touch. This was serious. She remained silent, waiting.

‘I don’t like the way most of the other guys are looking at you,’ he finally admitted. She was relieved. Was that all?

‘Jealous?’ she teased huskily. His face fell, so did hers. Judging by his expression, that one word had been another mistake. He was supposed to be turned on, not upset; this was not going according to plan. The day was turning into a disaster. Before she could apologise, he spoke.

‘Should I be?’ he asked. His voice was a husky croak which caught in his throat. He sounded extremely worried, almost desperate. ‘Do you want to finish with me? Have I done something wrong?’ he asked, his voice was barely more than a whisper.

‘NO!’ In her panic, Ginny almost shouted her answer. She had not intended to say the word so loudly. The room fell silent and everyone stared at them. Harry took a step backwards, and another, his back hit the wall.

Their stance, their attitude towards each other, everything about them was wrong; it had been almost since they’d met. She had teased him in Honeydukes; but she’d teased him before, often. What had happened? He was again looking at her chest, not her eyes; Harry was worried and unhappy. She looked down — the vest was almost obscenely tight. She had definitely overdone it. She again tried to catch his eyes with hers, she couldn’t.

He was embarrassed to be with her.
Reviews 151
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear