Search:

SIYE Time:19:23 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Breathe In, Breathe Out
By elizabeth dixon

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Rating: G
Reviews: 5
Summary: Ginny's thoughts after the final battle.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4163



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
A HUGE thanks to Spenser Hemmingway for helping me with Breathe In, Breathe Out.




ChapterPrinter


Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

Despite the smell of the smoke and the smell of the battle clinging to all of our clothing, I could smell Mum's shampoo. It's the same shampoo she has always used and the citrus smell is a reminder of safety and better times than this moment. I was concentrating on just breathing, so I don't totally break down. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. How long I focused on that, I don't know; it could have been moments; hours; days. I slept some but mostly...I just tried to breathe.

The sun was sinking in a sky of golds and pinks when I felt it. It was as if a Cooling Charm had been cast on me. All that breathing I was working so hard on caught in my throat and my heart seemed to stop. I had known it all along, but at that moment I had never been surer of anything in my life.

I loved Harry with every fiber of my being, and not because he was Harry Potter. I loved him because he was my Harry. Every ounce of him, from the parts that were amazing to the parts that were annoying; I loved all of him.

Mum must have felt the change and looked at me. She smiled despite the dried tears on her face. She kissed me on the forehead and held me tightly for a few moments. "Ginny, Harry will need someone to watch out for him, and I have a feeling that Ron and Hermione might be distracted for a bit." I followed her gaze across the room and saw Ron come in hand-in-hand with Hermione. Both looked tired and were still very dirty, but each was beaming as they greeted Neville and Luna. "Go find him. Take care of him Ginny."

She looked at me with tears in her eyes, and I realized two things at that moment. One was that even though she would always see me as her baby, she recognized that I was not a little girl anymore. The other was that my Mum loved Harry as much as she loved any of us. She had said many times that Harry was as good as one of hers, now I could see in her eyes that it was true. I kissed Mum's cheek and ran to my brother.

"Ron;" he smiled and scooped me up in a huge hug, "Gryffindor boys’ dorm. Hermione put a password protection on the door."

I look at Hermione questioningly and she smiled softly at me. "The password is Ginny." I hugged her tightly and raced for the door.

I was out of breath when I reached the Fat Lady, panting and frustrated that I didn't know the stupid password. "Damn," I swore softly.

The Fat Lady looked at me and smiled. "Hello dear. The Granger girl told me to let you right in, but no one else." Stunned, I managed a "Thanks" as I slipped in the opening. The common room didn't seem to have suffered too much damage. The windows were blown out and debris was on the floor, but overall, it looked like it always had. I turned toward the boys' staircase and began to climb up. I realized I was wringing my hands and forced them down to my sides. I walked to the seventh year boys' dorm and put my hand on the door and said softly. "Ginny." It opened and I stepped in.

The room was dim and quiet and peaceful. I could hear Harry breathe before I could see him. My knees gave out and I sank to the floor. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. He was alive. I felt the tears on my face. Before I realized it, I was crying quietly with relief. He was alive. How long I sat there on the floor, I had no idea. I cried for Harry and all he never had and all he had lost. I cried because of Fred and how much I was going to miss his laugh. I cried for Colin and Remus and Tonks and for Baby Teddy who was now an orphan. I cried for myself and I cried for us all. I cried until I had no tears left.

I stood up on shaky legs and walked to where he was, on the last bed, the one that should have been his all year. Sleeping on his stomach, one arm was under the cover, and the other one was on the pillow. I could see dried blood and a deep scratch on his arm. His glasses were on the night stand and his hair was longer then I had ever seen it. His face was dirty and bruised, and he was beautiful and breathing.

I reached over and grabbed a robe someone had left on the foot of the next bed and wrapped it around me. Using my wand, I conjured a chair and curled up in it. I watched Harry and tried to sync my breathing with his–breathe in, breathe out–until I fell asleep.

I woke later with the feeling I was being watched. I opened my eyes and Harry was sitting on the floor. His back was against the bed, his knees pulled up to his chest and his eyes watching mine. We didn't say anything. I don't know what he was thinking, but I was drinking him in. He had taken a shower when I was asleep and was clean. He was still covered with scrapes and bruises, but his eyes were shining with something I had never seen before. I tried hard to place the look and then it hit me. Harry had hope. I smiled at him and he grinned foolishly back at me. We had the future wide open for us. I knew some days were going to be hard but most of them would be full of joy. He slowly uncurled and knelt beside my chair. He reached out and touched my hair and took a deep breath.

"Ginny," he looked in my eyes again and cupped my cheek, "I've missed you. I have so much I want to tell you..."

I leaned forward and took his words with a kiss. I looked in those beautiful green eyes, took a deep breath and said, "I missed you too and I am listening.”
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear