Search:

SIYE Time:6:22 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Shared Encounters
By ginnyweasley777

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 34
Summary: ***ABANDONED***Shared encounters can bring people together and overcome the most powerful things. Shared encounters can lead to friendship and then so much more. A story of how Harry and Ginny learn that they need each in order to survive.
Hitcount: Story Total: 16029; Chapter Total: 4489





Author's Notes:
I'm hoping to update every 3-4 weeks, depending on how hectic Real Life gets. The warning and rating are for later chapters. All main events in canon (at least to the end of OotP) still occur, unless I state otherwise in the A/N.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 1: The Start of Something New


Okay, so I guess my story really starts at the beginning of my second year, after everything with the Chamber of Secrets and Tom Riddle’s diary had seemingly come to an end - if only that could be true for me.

As you probably know, I started my first year with an incredibly large and embarrassing little-girl crush on Harry Potter. I’d had this crush for years, having been told the bedtime stories about The-Boy-Who-Lived. That was when I dreamed that I would fall in love with Harry Potter, marry him, and everything would be happily-ever-after perfect. My first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry changed all of this for good. Harry Potter saved me, foolish little Ginny Weasley who had been tricked by a diary and a memory.

It was at the beginning of my second year that I actually started to look at Harry as a real person and, more importantly, as a friend. I suppose you’re wondering what made me start to look at Harry as a friend and not just a hero. This was a conversation that I had with Harry later that night, after the feast had finished and Ron and Hermione and everyone else had gone to bed. I was curled up on a couch near to the fire in the Gryffindor Common Room, unwilling to go to bed because I knew what my mind had in store for me, when Harry came over and sat down next to me. I peered at him from behind my curtain of long red hair.

“Are you okay?” asked Harry quietly.

I shrugged; I didn’t want to lie, nor did I want to admit to him that I was actually scared to go to sleep.

Harry was silent for a moment before he spoke again. “On the train, when the Dementors came, were you remembering the Chamber?” he asked carefully.

I was stunned. I had never once imagined that Harry would bring up the subject of last year. Since the start of the summer holidays, everyone else around me had just avoided any mention of the Chamber and instead pretended that last year never happened; if only I could be so lucky.

“Yes,” I replied, staring at the fire as the flames leaped and crackled merrily.

“Do you want to talk about it?” asked Harry quietly.

I sat for several minutes without answering, trying to decide if I wanted to talk about it or not. Harry was just about to get up and leave when I replied, “Yeah.” He just looked at me, waiting for me to continue so I opened my mouth and the words just started to pour out. “I can’t get him out of my head. I mean the sound of his voice,” I said in reply to Harry's questioning look. “Everytime I close my eyes to go to sleep, I can hear his voice again. It was worse on the train; it was almost as if I could see him coming out of the diary again.”

“I could hear things on the train too,” said Harry, “Not from the Chamber though.”

“What did you hear?” I asked.

“My mum,” replied Harry, frowning, “just before she was killed.”

I gasped with horror; it made my ordeal seem tame by comparison. “I’m sorry, Harry,” I said sincerely.

Harry smiled sadly at me and that’s when it really hit me. Harry wasn’t just ‘The-Boy-Who-Lived’; he was Harry Potter, a person who had real feelings and worries just like anyone else. He didn’t have to come over to talk to me that night and ask if I was okay and wanted to talk about the Chamber. He had his own problems to deal with, but he still came to me - just like in the Chamber.

“Has it been happening over the summer?” asked Harry.

“What?” I asked, my problem temporarily forgotten as I imagined how awful it must have been for Harry to hear his own mother‘s last words when the Dementor came onto the train. It was no wonder that he passed out.

“Riddle,” replied Harry. “Have you been hearing him over the summer as well?”

“Yes,” I replied, “Nearly every night. It’s awful. He’s always telling me how stupid and foolish I am, like I need telling again.”

“You’re not stupid or foolish,” said Harry firmly.

“Yes, I am,” I replied quietly. “I was stupid enough to keep writing in that diary after he started writing back, and foolish enough to tell him everything about-” I trailed off. I couldn’t bring myself to say to Harry that I can been foolish enough to tell Riddle everything about him. I think he knew anyway, but I still didn’t want to put it into words and say it out loud to him. I felt bad enough about it as it was.

“Ginny, you fought him off on your own for nearly a whole year!” exclaimed Harry.

“I should have told someone about it once I knew what was happening, but I didn’t,” I replied, swiping at my eyes with my hand as tears started to form there.

“You tried to get rid of the diary,” said Harry.

“And I took it back,” I countered angrily.

“You could have just given in to him and allowed him to kill all the Muggle-borns in the school, but you didn’t, you stayed strong. Ginny, don’t let him win,” said Harry.

“What do you mean?” I asked, sniffing slightly.

“He’s still hurting you now by making you afraid of going to sleep. Don’t let him do this to you.”

We lapsed into silence again for several minutes while I contemplated what Harry had said. Finally, as the fire started to burn low, I turned to Harry. “Thanks,” I said, “I think I understand what you mean, about not letting him win, anyway. I still say that I was stupid and foolish last year.”

Harry smiled. “I think we can agree to disagree on that one for now,” he said. “Ginny, you don‘t have to cope with this alone. You know that you can always talk to me, right?”

“Yeah,” I replied. “Right, well I’m going to bed now,” I said determinedly, getting up off the couch.

“Night,” said Harry as I made my way over to the girls' staircase.

My nightmares weren’t as bad after that night. I still got them, and they were still horrible, but I didn’t let them frighten me as much. I mean, they were only dreams, right? Anyway, it was better than what I lived with the summer after my first year.

So you see, just that one conversation made me start to see Harry in a different light. Don’t get me wrong, I still had my crush on him, and would have for a long time, although I’d deny what I was feeling. But I didn’t let it stop me from being able to talk to Harry from then on. After all, Harry didn’t ask to have all the Boy-Who-Lived stuff placed onto him. He didn’t ask for any of it, but it happened, and he deals with it as best as he can.
Reviews 34
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear