Search:

SIYE Time:6:58 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Gods Bless Accidental Magic!
By Dopeydo

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 306
Summary: Everybody has their limits. As Harry finds his reason to live, he will break many of them… and not all intentionally. As Harry finds his reason to live, he will learn what it means to be broken in turn. There is a great power in friendship, but there is just as great a power in fear. (Crossover occurs late in the story.)

Note: Picks up from halfway through chapter six of PS. Abuse warnings are limited to pre-Hogwarts experiences. Rating is mainly for language.
Hitcount: Story Total: 200335; Chapter Total: 4056
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Apologies for the lateness, I had my end of year's and moving house and starting a new 9 to 5 etc. Yada yada, you don't care, have a new chapter! Thanks to BobVosh and Arnel as ever.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Tom Riddle, it turned out, was an old prefect at Hogwarts from the forties. Understandably, he was rather eager to learn what had happened since his time there. Riddle wanted to hear about them too, although he was very humble when it came to talking about himself. Still, they did learn such things as that he had grown up an orphan and had thought of Hogwarts as his only real home, and that in his time Dumbledore had been professor of transfiguration, with Armando Dippet being headmaster.


It had also, of course, been the height of the second world war, and the reign of Gellert Grindelwald. Gellert Grindelwald, the last significant dark lord before Voldemort, who had stricken fear in the hearts of men, women and children across all of Europe. Gellert Grindelwald, who had masterminded a plot to have all muggles under one banner, that he might more easily make them submit. Gellert Grindelwald, who fell at the hands of Albus Dumbledore, to be imprisoned in the fortress Grindelwald himself had built to hold his enemies - Nurmengard. Riddle didn’t have much to say about the dark lord, but he did mention that those were turbulent times. Many in Britain were worried that the man wasn’t finished with them, and would return to conquer them with the full strength of his armies once the continent was his.


Over the next couple of weeks, Harry and Ginny found themselves spending more and more time with the diary. Riddle was just such a friendly person, and he seemed so lonely, trapped inside a book that only they knew about. And only they knew about it. It was their little secret.




“Oi, midgets, hurry up!” Fred yelled up the stairs.


Everybody was rushing around in a blind panic doing last minute packing. It seemed like Ron had only started that morning, wolfing down his breakfast with exceptional speed as he fought for every minute. Ginny had done most of her packing already, and Harry was just adding his muggle clothes to his trunk when he noticed her holding the diary, a strange look on her face. He got the oddest sensation for a moment, like someone was whispering in his head.


“I don’t think we should...” said Ginny. Her jaw clenched.


“You’re right,” Harry said. His head was pounding... “What?”


“What?” Ginny frowned. Then she shrugged and put the diary in her trunk, locking it shut.


Harry absently closed his own and started lugging it downstairs when Mrs Weasley shooed him away and levitated it down for him. He wasn’t quite content with the summer being over, even though he was eager for the new year at Hogwarts to begin. They’d certainly had a good end-of-holiday dinner the previous night. Mrs Weasley had made a particularly sumptuous meal, and they’d stayed up with mugs of hot chocolate watching Dead Poets Society. But now, with the hustle and bustle as they all prepared to shuttle off to Kings Cross... Harry didn’t want to go.


As if sensing his mood, Ginny took his hand gently in hers, offering him a little smile. Harry took a little kiss, and Ginny’s cheeks turned slightly pink.


His therapy sessions with Madam Pomfrey were coming to a close as well. They’d been over pretty much all of Harry’s life that he could remember, and spent the longest time discussing the adventure beneath the trapdoor. And Harry hadn’t had a single incident for over a month. Not so much as a headache.


It was nearly ten o’clock by the time they were all gathered on the boundary of the wards, surrounded by trunks and owl cages and a Filibuster firework that had scared the living daylights out of Mrs Weasley and that the twins swore must have gone off by accident. Harry’s owl cage was empty - he knew Hedwig preferred to fly on her own than to travel cooped up in the train.


A few minutes later, Mrs Weasley had finally finished giving Fred and George their dressing-down. The firework was still happily bouncing around though.


And then Fred needed to run back for his broomstick. And Ron needed to grab the GameBoy. And by the time everyone was truly ready, it was just past a quarter past ten.


“Right,” Mr. Weasley sighed. “Percy?”


And with that, Mr. and Mrs Weasley began Apparating them to Kings Cross, one at a time. A few minutes later, they were all gathered outside the Apparition point on platform nine and three quarters. It was a large zone behind the buffers, monitored by a plethora of Ministry staff, whose job it was to make sure that people didn’t Apparate into each other. There were also a few people standing off to the side who might have been there in case of a splinching, but luckily it seemed their services had not been required.


“Always easier when they give me time off to help,” Mr. Weasley muttered. “Let’s find compartments for you, then.”


They made their way along the rapidly filling platform, until they found a likely-looking carriage a little ways down. Ginny hopped on lightly, turning a small smile on Harry, who followed. Only, he walked into a wall. He couldn’t see the wall, but it was most definitely there. His nose and knee were insisting on it.


Ginny frowned. Reaching out tenderly, she felt the barrier, solid as steel between them. Before anyone had time to do more than make a surprised noise, Ginny drew her hand back, the entire arm going up spectacularly in bright orange flames, and delivered a staggering punch to the unexpectedly thick air. There was a sound like smashing glass, and cracks spread through the air like a spider web, glowing faintly white. Harry didn’t notice, having leapt clear out of the way the moment Ginny’s arm burst into flames.


“Ginny!” Mrs Weasley cried indignantly.


“What on Earth?” said Mr. Weasley.


Ginny was just grinning arrogantly at the splintered barrier, her eyes aglow with magical energy. A few seconds later, the construct fell to the ground, disappearing as it did so. Percy offered Harry a hand, which Harry took gratefully, brushing himself off.


“A little more warning next time?” said Harry. “Please?”


Ginny smirked at him, but faltered at the look Mrs Weasley was giving her.


“Ginevra Molly Weasley, have you no regard for your wellbeing, to say nothing of ours?” Mrs Weasley raged. “What if you had caused an explosion, hmm? Or if that thing had disappeared as suddenly as it came and you struck Harry in the face? Did you not give a moment’s thought to the consequences of such a thing?”


“Sorry, Mum,” said Ginny, looking forlornly at her shoes.


“Now, Ginny, you know how proud I am of you,” said Mrs Weasley. “But you were tutored for good reason, and I hope you appreciate that.”


“Yes Mum,” said Ginny.


Mrs Weasley smiled at her daughter, who was looking a little more upbeat now. “You’re an eleven year old second year, Ginny. Be spectacular by all means, but please, for the love you bear me, be safe.”


Ginny didn’t say anything, simply hurtling off the train to hug her mother almost as tightly as she was being hugged in return. Most of the people whose attentions had been drawn by the incident or Mrs Weasley’s almost-yelling at Ginny were now drifting away. Just when Harry was sure their backs were about to give in, they began to release each other.


With that they all hurried to stow their trunks on-board, claiming a compartment for themselves, before returning for their final farewells. Harry grinned almost painfully when Mrs Weasley gave him a hug and handed him his own sandwich, which was corned beef like Percy and Ginny, while the twins and Ron got egg ones. Every little experience like this gave him a rush of emotion that was almost overwhelming.


“Hermione!” said Ginny, rushing over to give her a brief hug. The two of them were instantly locked into their own world, so after saying hello to a distracted Hermione and her parents, Harry went with Ron to look for Neville.


The platform was truly packed at this point, with about fifteen minutes left until the train was scheduled to leave. Harry had just managed to avoid tripping over a cat when Ron elbowed him in the ribs.


“Look,” said Ron, pointing. “Hey Neville!”


Neville turned, and they saw Dean and Seamus standing with him. Breaking out into a huge grin, he yelled back. “Hey guys!”


“How’re you doin’?” said Seamus.


Harry was about to reply when there was a distinct explosion from the direction they’d just come from. They turned as one to see that two of the windows two carriages down were flashing with bright coloured lights in time with the easily recognisable sound of a Filibuster firework.


“The twins,” said Ron, groaning in spite of his obvious amusement.


A shout of “Boys!” confirmed this suspicion. Moments later, a few older students staggered off the train looking utterly shell-shocked.


“Come on, let’s see what they’ve done,” Neville sighed.


It was difficult to make out what exactly was happening through the throng of onlookers, besides the very obvious fact that Mrs Weasley was shouting a lot, but Harry figured it out soon enough. The twins were field testing their little door sentinel devices and somebody had literally walked right into it. He’d almost forgotten about the little discs that spewed fireworks when somebody tried to walk through the wrong doorway. Perhaps he could plant one in the Slytherins’ bathroom. After all, he still had the one they’d given him last year...


“We’re not even there yet and they’ve already started,” said Dean.


“That’s the twins for you,” said Ron. “Everything is boring unless something’s exploding or whatever.”




Harry watched the countryside rush by. The dense mess of London had given way to towns which had given way to open green fields, by which point the twins had left to make mischief with Lee or something. Harry hadn’t cared. Instead, he was relishing the feel of Ginny reclining against him, wrapped comfortably in his arms. The sound of his friends talking and laughing was like a soothing balm for his mind. Ginny’s chest vibrated gently when she spoke, and she squirmed slightly whenever Harry responded by stroking absent, slow circles on her side.


He ate the corned beef sandwiches, which weren’t nearly as bad as Ron seemed to think, with one hand, refusing to let go of Ginny. She smirked up at him when she noticed. The smirk gave way to indignation when Harry tickled her lightly, his fingers dancing over her ribs.


Not even Mrs Weasley’s sandwiches could stop him from getting them a generous helping of sweets from the trolley when the lady came by, though.


And through all this, Luna said barely a word. She seemed perfectly content to watch and listen, a vague little smile on her face.


“So, Ginny,” said Hermione, a smirk playing at her lips. “This wand...”


“Eep!” said Ginny, jumping to her feet. Harry protested mildly, but was ignored. “I totally forgot!”


Popping the lock on her trunk, she withdrew the long box that held her new toy. Ginny opened it with great care. The wand within immediately showed signs of life like none Harry had seen before, the gold gleaming with its own light.


“Very nice,” said Neville.


“It is,” Ginny breathed. “Lumos.”


It started as a soft yellow glow, but within seconds Ginny was aiming a light of laser-like precision at the wall. And it was getting brighter. Seconds later, small wisps of smoke began curling upwards from the wood where the light was striking it.


“Bloody hell, Ginny!” said Ron.


And just like that, the spell was broken. Ginny let her arm drop to her side, the wand still glowing with restrained power. There was a clearly visible, albeit small scorch mark, blackened by raw throughput of energy. Hermione reached out to touch it tenderly with an index finger.


“That’s incredible,” Hermione whispered. “Try something else?”


“Ron, give me your wand,” said Ginny.


“Alright...” Ron said suspiciously.


Holding it aloft, and with an intense fire in her eyes, Ginny cried, “Reparo!


The old wand, battered and bruised and chipped to such an extent that unicorn hair was visible at the tip, seemed to lose a decade’s wear and tear in a few seconds. Wood almost grew across the surface to fill old wounds. It straightened out slightly as well, revealing a bend that Harry hadn’t noticed before. Ten seconds later, it seemed that Ginny had accomplished all she could. There were still some chips in places, but it no longer looked to be on its last legs.


“Hey, thanks Ginny!” Ron grinned.


Hermione was staring. All of a sudden, she scrambled for her trunk.


In their turn, everyone else stared at her. She gave up and levitated her trunk down, and retrieved a book. ‘Because what else could Hermione ever want?’


Flicking through feverishly, she made a contented noise when she found what she was looking for. Moments later came a protracted ‘ahhh’ of realisation. And a deer-in-the-headlights look when she saw that everyone else was watching her.


“I’d read something about repairing wands,” she said unnecessarily. “You can’t repair a wand magically. That is to say, if the wand is damaged to the point that it doesn’t work properly anymore, you can’t fix that. But Ron’s wand still worked so I suppose you can fix the physical wand and that’s okay.”


Ron shrugged at her, raising his newly-repaired wand and casting a quick Wand-Lighting Charm. The yellow glow answered him without hesitation.


“But Ginny...” said Hermione. “You didn’t have the bits of his wand that had broken off...”


“Details,” Ginny said airily. “The important question is...” She turned to Harry with a daring grin. “Who has the best Shock Jinx?”


“Woah woah woah,” said Neville. “I’d rather we kept this train in one piece. At least until we get there.”


“Oh no, I’m sure it’s perfectly safe,” said Harry.


Hermione snorted. “How about we all just sit down and nobody gets hurt, hmm?”


Over the following few hours until they reached Hogsmeade village, they generally followed Hermione’s wishes. That might not have been the case had Malfoy shown up, but it seemed he’d learned. Either that or he’d forgotten that they were on the train. Harry had learned to not put too much stock in the Slytherin’s intelligence. So they spent much of the rest of the journey playing Exploding Snap and chess, while Ginny experimented with her wand.


These experiments started to get a little out of hand after an hour or so. Until then, Ginny had been content with changing people’s hair colour or Vanishing and restoring the window. Then Ron and Hermione, who’d been playing chess, looked up at each other in mounting horror.


Luna snickered softly. Neville was biting at his fist. Harry and Ginny didn’t even bother to contain themselves.


Ginny had thoroughly Switched their hair.


Ron lifted his bushy brown locks with a finger, jumped backwards slightly, and turned a desperate, pleading look on his sister. Ginny, however, was too far gone to care.


“The looks on your faces!” said Ginny through breathless laughter.


Hermione huffed and folded her arms, but even her mouth was twitching.


With a little wave of her wand, Ginny finally restored their appearances, and both Ron and Hermione sighed with relief.


“Well I’m sure this will be an interesting year,” said Hermione.




“What a mission I was given
Over a millennium ere this day
To look at all new students
And decide where they should stay


“The Founders four once stood right here
To do the task I fulfill in their stead
Let me tell you of the qualities
They bade me look for in your heads


“To Gryffindor there could never be
A quality of greater worth
Than stout heart, unflinching valour
And a cast iron nerve


“Ravenclaw did not agree
Her belief was most sincere
That those of wisdom and intelligence
Were better suited to study here


“Slytherin’s idea of wisdom
Was not quite the same
He valued cunning and ambition
And a magical family name


“To Hufflepuff this selectivity
Was really quite inane
So long as her students had a will to work
She’d treat them all the same


“And thus did good old Hogwarts
Prosper under their care
Until Slytherin tired of their differences
And left to alls’ despair


“But now here I sit a-waiting
Come put me on your head
For Hogwarts still stands strong and true
I’ll Sort you where they would intend.”


The Hall burst into applause as the old hat fell still.


“Hmm...” Hermione frowned.


“What is it?” said Ginny.


“Still stands strong and true?” said Hermione. “What does he mean? In spite of everything Hogwarts is still here? Is he baiting someone?”


“Us,” Ginny grinned. Hermione squinted at her. “He’s commending us for last year.”


“Cheers Hat!” said Ron, ducking his head when nearly everyone in a ten metre radius turned to look at him.


Professor McGonagall spared Ron a withering look, somehow detecting the disturbance with her usual uncanny sharpness, before turning her attentions to the new group of students. As Harry too turned to them, he noticed that most of them were either throwing him frequent glances or flat out staring over at him.


“Wonderful,” Harry sighed, slumping slightly in his seat.


“Oh give over,” said Ginny.


“Yeah,” said Neville. “What’s a few adoring fans to You Know Who?”


“Another pain in my side I can’t seem to get rid of,” Harry said gloomily.


As the group was Sorted into their respective houses, the five of them sat impatiently in between bouts of raucous cheering. They found themselves waiting in equal parts for Luna to be called and for the whole thing to be over so they could fill their aching stomachs.


“Clemency Lancaster.”


A determined looking girl walked rigidly up to the stool. The Hat took a moment to consider, while the girl sat with her jaw clenched and her eyes closed.


“Gryffindor!”


The lions roared their approval, clapping and stomping as a relieved first year joined their ranks.


“Luna Lovegood.”


She stepped up daintily, as if she truly were as light as she appeared. Perching on the chair with the hat on her head, she had barely even sat down before the Hat yelled its decision.


“Ravenclaw!”


Ginny pouted a little, but at the contented smile Luna gave her, she burst into a happy grin. “We’ll still see her just as much, I suppose. And it’s what she always wanted.”


“Muhammad Najdi.”


Ron’s stomach rumbled loudly, eliciting a giggle from his sister. “This always takes so long...”


“You’ve been at one Sorting before,” said Hermione, exasperated.


“And it was bad enough the first time,” said Ron.


“Don’t worry Ron, just a few more minutes,” Ginny laughed.


Harry could appreciate Ron’s frustration though, for he too was starving, his stomach a gaping chasm that pulled and tore at him mercilessly. Unconsciously, Harry began to tap on his empty plate.


“Duncan Simmons.”


After what seemed like an eternity, the last kid wandered down to the Hufflepuff table and Professor McGonagall carried off the stool and Hat.


“Welcome!” said Dumbledore, smiling genially around at them all. “Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I am sure that you are all as eager as I to tuck in to our start of term feast, but allow me a moment to make a couple of announcements.”


“A couple’s kinda pushing it,” Ron groused.


Harry stifled his amusement to hear what Professor Dumbledore had to say.


“As most of you will be aware,” said the headmaster, “Professor Quirrell has gone into something of an early retirement. As such, we have found a new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor in Professor Lockhart.”


That was something Harry would sooner have forgotten. The man stood up and smiled with every one of his hundred teeth.


“Thank you, Professor Dumbledore,” said Lockhart. “It gives me great pleasure to take up this post, that I might share some of my prodigious talent with the next generation. I look forward to teaching each and every one of you.”


“Try not to swoon, Hermione,” Ron smirked.


Hermione turned very pink, but attempted a disaffected sniff. “I’m surprised you know the meaning of the word.”


Professor Dumbledore waited patiently for the applause to die down. “Yes, and a warm welcome to our newest professor. Furthermore, we have a returning professor this year in the form of Professor Fawley. A number of you have expressed an interest in studying for an Alchemy NEWT, and he is here to teach you. Should any additional sixth years wish to take up the subject, he tells me you must speak to him within the next two weeks.”


The man did not seem quite so old as Professor Dumbledore, if that was even a possibility. Still, he greeted them all with a slight bow and an easy smile.


“Finally, Professor Grubbly-Plank is standing in for Professor Kettleburgh as he is still recovering from the loss of his forearm in an accident last week,” said Professor Dumbledore. “He is expected to return to the Care of Magical Creatures post by the end of term.


“Alas, I seem to have taken a rather long moment,” said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling with amusement. Leaning forwards, he continued in a lower, conspiratorial voice. “Tuck in.”


Ron’s delight and relief were etched onto his face.


“Enjoying the meal, Ron?” Ginny giggled.


Harry paused in his own destruction of a steak to give her an accusing look. “And that pie is just eating itself, is it?”


He replied to her pout with a smirk. Ron, it seemed, hadn’t heard a word of what had been said.




“How’s she doing?” said Harry, as the prefects let them into the common room with a call of ‘wattlebird’.


Ginny had rushed over to the Ravenclaws as soon as Professor Dumbledore had dismissed them. It was more than wanting to spend time with Luna, Harry knew. The girl was not the most likely candidate for everyone’s favourite person. At least, not in a good way, she wasn’t. And little though he knew Luna, Harry couldn’t help but be a bit worried for her too.


“I think she’ll be fine,” said Ginny. “She’s obviously nervous, but nobody will screw with a friend of ours.”


“Nobody with a functioning brain in their head at any rate,” Hermione smirked.


“Hi Ginny!” said Lavender.


“Hey Harry,” said Parvati.


“Hey guys,” said Ginny, giving Harry a look that plainly said ‘this will take a while’.


He allowed himself to drift over to where Dean and Seamus were reacquainting themselves with Hogwarts life with a game of Exploding Snap. Neville and Ron soon joined him, bringing Fay and Rionach in their wake.


“Didn’t realise this was such a spectator sport,” Dean grinned.


“We’re just here to see Seamus blow his eyebrows off again,” Fay smirked.


“Oi, that’s only happened like, three times now, alright?” said Seamus.


“It’s the fire,” said Dean. “It calls to him.”


Seamus rolled his eyes, but he was grinning too. “How’s everyone’s holiday, alright?”


“Not terrible,” Fay grinned. “Saw some granian horses in Norway, and we were at the rally at the weekend.”


“Winged horses?” said Seamus.


“The Finland rally?” said Dean.


“And for the benefit of those of us who only recognise granians?” Neville grinned.


“Mostly young men driving cars much too fast on dirt tracks,” Hermione sniffed.


“I think you meant nearly fast enough,” said Dean.


Hermione gaped at him. “People die in those races!”


“People die driving cars normally,” Dean said dismissively. “At least they’re making the most of it.”


“Boys,” Hermione muttered.


“But yeah, pretty cool holiday,” said Fay.


“Well, I’m out,” said Neville.


“Me too,” said Dean.


Seamus grinned, looking up from the game. “Can’t compete with that.”


Bang!


“Well...” said Rionach. “Your eyebrows are fine.”


The same couldn’t be said of the hair on the side of his head. Small tendrils of smoke faded away to reveal a slightly blackened area.


“You should just go skinhead mate,” Dean laughed. “Save yourself the trouble.”


“Um... eww,” said Lavender. “Although if you’re trying to look hot Seamus this really isn’t working.”


“Ooooohhh!”


“Mate,” said Neville. “You just got burned.”


Seamus shook his head with a disappointed smile. “I feel so welcome back at school, thanks guys.”


“I’ll be right back,” Ginny whispered.


Harry turned to watch her head off up the girls’ staircase. He knew what she was looking for. In turn, he headed up to collect the invisibility cloak. The diary was theirs and nobody else’s. For their eyes only.

Reviews 306
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear