Search:

SIYE Time:13:39 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Exploring Summer
By Dorothy

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/PM
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: When the Weasley and Potter families visit the beach, Harry is reluctant to let his sons try dangerous Muggle sports.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4180



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Written as a gift in hg_seasonfest community in LJ.
The theme was Summer; My giftee requested: Lot of Weasleys and Potters, watching clouds, walking on beach.





ChapterPrinter


Exploring Summer


Harry Potter Apparated to the boundary of the Weasley property. The sight of the crooked house held together with magic warmed his heart. With a soft smile he started walking toward the Burrow. The faint hum of conversation coming from it grew louder with every step he took. Harry almost sprinted the last few steps, eager to become a part of the friendly chaos.

When he entered the house, he saw Ron and Al hunched over a board of Wizarding chess in a corner and Percy standing next to them, watching. In the other corner a loud group of George, Hugo, Lily and Charlie sat playing exploding snap. Harry poked his head into the kitchen and found Molly directing something to Ginny. His gaze followed Molly’s hand and found Ginny was trying to retrieve fine china from the top shelf. Harry walked to Molly and greeted her with a kiss on her cheek and she pulled him into a tight hug. Ginny placed the china on the kitchen table and gave Harry a chaste kiss on his lips.

“Where is James? He said he’d come with you,” said Ginny looking towards the door.

“He's still at that Muggle swimming pool. He'll come here via Floo,” said Harry.
He summoned a bottle of butterbeer from the icebox, and said, “I’ll be in the backyard.” and walked out of the kitchen.

He clapped Ron on the back and nodded to Percy. Ron, who was concentrating on the chess board in front of him, raised his arm and greeted him without looking away from the game. Harry hovered there for couple of minutes and then went to the backyard. He saw a group of girls with Rose in the middle trying to do something.

Hermione was laying a tablecloth. Harry waved and walked towards her.

“Hello Harry!” said Hermione and hugged him. He said the same after spluttering few bushy hair hairs from his mouth.

“What’s Rose doing?” asked Harry.

“She is trying to solve a puzzle I brought her as a gift," Hermione said with a smile. “Where is James? Ginny said he was at the swimming pool.”

“Yeah, he's trying a Muggle sport.”

“Is it scuba diving?”

But, before he could answer he caught a waft of flowery scent and knew instantly that Ginny had joined them.

“Yes, it is scuba diving,” answered Harry as he helped Ginny with the china.

“Oh! I have heard it’s wonderful, but I haven’t tried it,” said Hermione, almost amused at the news.

“Harry doesn’t approve of it,” said Ginny, now glancing sideways at him.

Harry’s jaw set. After a minute or so he spoke, “It’s not that I disapprove. I just don’t want him to do anything dangerous. We have done enough of that--- we didn’t have a choice, but he does.”

“I know that, Harry,” said Ginny as she placed a hand over his. “But our children are growing and they want to explore things. We should be glad that he informed us about this. Another year and he will be of age. We won’t have any say in his decisions then.”

Harry concentrated on the water droplets on the butterbeer bottle.

To ease the situation Hermione spoke, “I have booked us a cottage on a Muggle beach for a week.”

“I think Ron will go berserk this time,” said Ginny smiling, “It’s the third time you've done that in a row.”

“He already has.”

Just then, the back door opened. Al and Ron spilled out, clutching bottles of butterbeer, and made their way towards Harry, Hermione and Ginny.

“Who won the game?” asked Harry.

Ron stretched his arms above his head in a victory sign and announced, “Me!”

Harry grinned at him. “Looking forward to the trip to the beach?”

“Hermione has booked a cottage on a Muggle beach. Muggle Harry --- no magic, we have to live like Muggles for a week,” said Ron and gave a foul look towards Hermione.

Seeing Ron’s expression Hermione and Ginny started giggling. Ron directed his glare at Ginny, and this made them giggle harder.

“Don’t you remember how hard it is without magic?” asked Ron.

“This way we will appreciate magic more, otherwise we take it for granted,” said Hermione.

“I always appreciate it,” said Ron.

“But there is no harm in exposing yourself to Muggle ways now and then. Rose knows more about Muggles than you do. You are stuck with ‘felly’ and ‘telly’,” said Hermione.

Ginny caught Harry’s eyes and grinned.

“Rose already knows and so there is no point in exposing them to Muggle style, and by the way what’s wrong with ‘felly’ and ‘telly’ works---”

“OI, if you two don’t stop then I’m going to snog Harry senseless,” said Ginny.

“I like that idea,” suggested Harry and pulled Ginny close for a kiss.

“Stop it, you two! I get your point,” said Ron, looking utterly disgusted.
Somehow even after these many years he had not grown comfortable watching that particular scene.

Harry grinned at him and let go of Ginny. He turned to Hermione and asked, “What have you planned for Rose and Hugo this summer?”

“Rose wants to study computers,” said Hermione with a glint of pride in her face, “and Hugo wants to play football--- actually he wants to try out for a goal keeper, like his dad.”

“My son takes after me,” said Ron puffing his chest.

“Have you noticed that all our kids have a passion for Muggle sports?” asked Ginny.

“So I did,” said Hermione.

“What does Al want to do?” asked Ron taking a sip of butterbeer.

Ginny looked at Al who was now trying to solve the puzzle with Rose. When she looked back she found three pairs of eyes looking at her.

“What?”

“Usually he confides in you,” said Hermione.

“I don’t know, but he keeps talking about parachutes...” said Ginny.

“Does he want to paraglide?” asked Hermione.

“Something like that,” said Ginny.

“What is parathingy?” asked Ron.

“It’s a free flying, foot launched aircraft,” said Hermione.

“Blimey, without a broom?” asked Ron.

“Yes.”

“Merlin’s beard!”

At that moment Molly poked her head out from the kitchen and called out to Ginny for help.

“Mum must be ready to put out the food.”

Everybody walked towards the house.

***

“Dad, scuba diving is not as dangerous as you think. Besides, I’m diving with a buddy---a scuba dive instructor,” said James, trying to convince Harry.

“If James gets to dive, then I want to paraglide,” said Al softly, who was sitting beside James.

Harry took his glasses off, and wiped them with the tail of his shirt. “When have you taken a lesson, Al?” asked Harry.

Al slowly replied, “It just takes couple of hours to learn. There is an association near the beach where we are going. And I’ll be having instructions given out over the radio, by the instructor until I land.”

“How do you know this?” asked Harry.

“Rose, showed me the details on her computer,” said Al.

“Dad, we will be safe,” said James.

“We both know that's not entirely true. If you are so interested, then James join the swim team or the dive team at your swimming pool, and Al, join some other Muggle sport like basketball or something,” said Harry.

“No, Dad, it’s not the same!” said James.

“My answer is still ‘no’ and it’s final,” said Harry. He then summoned his broom. “I’m going out for a bit of flying,” he informed Ginny before walking away.

Lily looked between James and Al with her magazine on her lap, forgotten.

Ginny, who was also witnessing the whole scene, sat down with a big sigh.

James clenched his jaw and started pacing back and forth. “Why should he be so overbearing? Didn’t he get into loads of trouble when he was at Hogwarts? Why doesn’t he let us do anything?” asked James.

“Most of the troubles he got into were forced on him. All he wants is for you to be safe,” said Ginny.

James stopped pacing and sat down beside his mother and put his head in his hands. “I want to do this so much, Mum,” said James.

“Yeah, I want to have a different flying experience,” said Al as he sat at Ginny’s foot.

“Give your dad some time. He’ll come around,” said Ginny patting both James’s and Al’s back.

“You think so?” asked Al, and Ginny nodded.

***

Harry circled their house a few times. His thoughts lingered on James’s comment. All, Harry wanted was, for his children to enjoy their teenage years in a risk free environment. He and his friends had taken care that their children were free of the dangers their parents had lived through. But his sons wanted to try something new, and he wasn’t sure of it. Sometimes he felt that he was not doing his job as a father in the right way, but Ginny had assured him that he was a great dad.

He flew to the ground and Apparated to the pub nearby. He ordered a firewhiskey and as it settled down, his thoughts settled too. He figured he’d ask Hermione about the dangers of scuba diving and paragliding.

When he reached home, everyone had gone to bed except Ginny. She was in their study and writing something. She looked up at him and smiled. His stress seemed to ebb away as he saw her face.

“What’re you doing?” asked Harry as he sat across her.

“I went to the library and collected some information on scuba diving and paragliding. I was just making notes,” said Ginny as she shoved her notes to Harry.

Harry picked up the sheaf of papers and started reading.

“The risk is very minimal when you are doing things with a professional,” said Ginny.

Harry put the notes down. “You’re on their side?” he asked, annoyed.

Ginny shook her head and put her hand on his.

Harry concentrated on her wedding ring.

“I’m on nobody’s side, just trying to do the right thing...” She paused a little and when Harry still didn’t look up, she continued, “Follow your instincts Harry, they have rarely failed you.”

With this, she got up, whispered, “Good Night.” and she was gone.

Harry spent a long time reading her notes.

***

Next day, at the dinner table, James and Al were trying to convince Harry once again.

“Please, Dad, let us do it.”

“Yes, please,” pleaded Al.

Harry put his fork down and said, “Let me think.”
He fell silent, deep in thought. Finally he sighed and looked at Ginny. She instantly knew what Harry’s dilemma was, but gave him a tiny bit of nod. Harry lifted the dish of treacle tart and served everyone and said, “You both will get your wishes, but on one condition. We’ll all be there to watch.”

James looked at Harry and grinned. “Deal!”

Al looked at both Harry and Ginny and said, “Thanks!”

As they all happily dug into their treacle tart, little did they know that Harry had back up plans for both the events, although he hoped he wouldn't have to use either of them.

***

It was late evening when everybody arrived at the cottage on the beach front. The sun was setting and the entire landscape was bathed in its light. The copper coloured reflection on the sea shimmered. Birds flew across the sky. The beauty of it had transfixed everyone.

As per Harry’s request, Hermione had made appointments for James’s scuba dive and Al’s paragliding. The day after they arrived at the cottage was James’s dive day.

Next morning, Harry woke up and walked to the kitchen and found Ginny and James making breakfast. Sunlight was spilling into the cottage.

“Up already?” asked Harry as he kissed Ginny.

James rolled his eyes.

“All ready for the big event?” asked Harry to James.

James placed a plate of bacon and eggs in front of Harry and sat in front of him with his plate. Ginny poured tea for everybody and sat beside Harry.

“Yeah, excited,” replied James.

They ate in silence, enjoying the calm morning except for the crashing of waves.

Ron strolled into the kitchen and sat beside James.

“Smell of bacon woke me up,” said Ron and yawned widely.

“We were expecting you ages ago,” said Ginny, with a mischievous smile on her face.

Harry, who had finished his breakfast, got up and made a plate for Ron.

“They only have a Muggle newspaper here," complained Ron.

“There is nothing wrong with knowing the Muggle world affairs,” said Ginny, sipping her own tea.

Ron took a mouthful of his breakfast and said, “So, James, what time is your dive?”

“At ten,” replied James.

“How long will you be gone?”

“For forty minutes,” answered James.

Ron took few more spoons of his eggs and said, “You realise that on the forty-first minute your dad will dive into the water looking for you.”

“Mate, give me some credit for being supportive,” said Harry with a glare, from where he was making a cup of tea for Ron.

Ron grinned at him. “I still don’t understand diving into water without gillyweed,” said Ron as he finished his breakfast.

***

Harry and Ginny introduced themselves to the scuba instructor with whom James would dive. He was taller than James and seemed professional. After James had his wetsuit on with his oxygen tank, goggles and his foot fins, they were ready to dive. At the count of three James and his buddy dove into the sea from the boat. Harry held on to Ginny’s hand so tightly that his hands were shaking. Ginny winced but didn’t say a word.

Harry shoved his other hand into his pocket and felt the gillyweed and prayed that he didn’t have to use it.

Lily and Hugo were leaning over the boat's railing, staring at the spot where James had gone under water and trying to see what was going on.

Rose and Al were in a corner of the boat, and Rose was explaining, “SCUBA actually means ‘Self Contained Under-water Breathing Apparatus’.”

Hermione put her hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Harry, relax. James is in good hands.”

Harry nodded and relaxed a bit but, not quite.

Ron joined them, still mumbling about gillyweed.

“Hermione, did you know about scuba diving in our fourth year?” asked Ron.

"Yes, of course," said Hermione.

“Why didn’t you let Harry use it when he was in Tri-Wizard Tournament?”

“Because, that tournament, was to show his magical skills. Scuba diving is a Muggle invention and we can’t claim credit for it,” said Hermione.

“He could have said he learnt it in Muggle studies,” said Ron.

“That doesn’t qualify it,” replied Hermione shaking her head.

The argument soon turned to bickering and continued for ten more minutes.

“Please, stop!” said Harry, “I can’t take it anymore.”

“If it keeps your mind off James then we will continue bickering,” said Ron and everybody laughed including Harry.

Forty minutes later on the dot, James and his buddy surfaced on the water. James climbed into the boat. The look on his face made Harry’s heart swell with pride. He went and hugged James and Ginny did the same. Later she kissed James on his cheek and her face mirrored Harry’s.

Later, Harry and Ginny thanked the dive instructor and left the scene with a happy James.

The next three days, they spent lazily enjoying the sea. They went swimming, strolling on the beach, flying kites, collecting sea shells and many more things.

Now that Harry had seen the accomplished look on James’s face he wanted to see a similar thing on Al’s face.

When the day of Al’s paragliding arrived, Harry woke up with the same feeling of anticipation. They drove to the place where the instructor said that the participants would be taking off. It was a hilly region and from that point there was a panoramic view of the entire countryside, leading down to the sea.

“Blimey Harry, I’m really curious to watch these Muggles fly without brooms,” said Ron glancing around where few more people were getting ready to fly. There were all kinds of people from young boys to adults, from men to women, getting their harnesses, straps and wings ready.

“It’s a paraglide, Dad,” corrected Rose who was carrying a huge book.

Ginny’s eyebrows rose and she gestured towards the book.

“Oh! I travel with two mobile libraries now,” said Ron grinning.

Hermione rolled her eyes and punched him gently in the arm.

When it was time Harry and Ginny watched through binoculars until Al was so far away that they could no longer pick him out of the crowd of brightly-coloured parachutes. All the time Hermione and Rose chatted about how the velocity of wind and altitude affected the flight.

Harry was nervous again, and he patted his pocket where he felt the broom which he had shrunk, just in case he needed it. Ginny slipped her hands into his and squeezed. When Al had landed, the instructor informed them of his graceful landing and Harry’s heart which was thumping in his chest eased a little. The instructor also mentioned that Al would be meeting him in another half hour.

When Harry met Al, he felt his chest would explode with joy and he hugged Al a second longer than he had planned. The same happiness and joy which Harry had seen on James’s face reflected on Al’s.

The next two days passed exploring the seashore, and then it was their last night’s stay in the cottage.

Everyone had gone to bed and the cottage was quiet. Moonlight streamed into their bedroom. Harry sat at the small desk, writing on a piece of paper. He finished it when the full moon was up in the sky. He wanted to wake Ginny up, but looking at her peaceful form, it felt wrong and he decided against it. As if Ginny heard or felt his thoughts she sat up and asked, “What’re you doing up so late?”

Her hair was mussed and she still looked groggy from her sleep. Her soft green pajamas had ridden up her legs, yet to Harry she looked stunning.

His lips formed a soft smile. “Fancy a walk with me?”

Ginny looked at him for a long minute with sleepy eyes. She shook off her slumber and asked, “Do I need to change?”

“No, you don’t,” said Harry and held out his hand.

And so they walked on the beach in their pajamas, with their hands laced together and on bare feet. The cool water made it all the more soothing. The beach was deserted except for the sea gulls. After they had walked for some time Harry gestured to a clean spot and they sat. The moonlight danced on Ginny’s features and her eyes were amused.

Everything seemed picture perfect and he felt calm wash over him. He brought Ginny’s hands to his lips and kissed them. Ginny looked at him and smiled.

“Thank you!” said Harry.

Ginny’s eyebrows rose and Harry continued, “Thanks for encouraging me to let our children carry out their dreams. The look on their faces was precious. My heart felt full with happiness. You helped me see it.”

Ginny kissed his lips and said, “Yeah, the look was priceless, and thank you for trusting your kids and not creating a scene, because...”

She started scribbling in the sand with her finger.

“Because...,” Harry provoked.

She looked up from where she was writing. “You had gillyweed ready in your pocket and a shrunken broom.”

She let out a big sigh. Harry looked in other direction, unable to meet her eyes. “Can’t hide much from you,” said Harry.

She raised one hand to grasp his chin, and turned his face gently.

“Are you angry with me?” asked Harry.

Ginny kissed him and shook her head.

“I know how you feel, Harry, and I appreciate it. You are such a good father. But, sometimes we have to just let them spread their wings. Believe me, I appreciate your readiness--- it’s who you are, it’s in your blood,” said Ginny. She gave him a radiant smile and Harry’s heart fluttered.

“Imagine what Lily’s dream will be?” said Harry.

“I think she is more interested in those sockets just like her grandpa, and besides, it’ll look like child’s play--- letting her pursue her passion for Muggle electric things when you are trying to keep those boys at bay who take an interest in her,” said Ginny and started laughing.

“Merlin, help me!” said Harry with shock on his face and this made Ginny laugh all the more and finally Harry joined her and both of them laughed until their sides hurt and tears ran down their cheeks.

Harry then removed a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to Ginny. He looked flushed even in the moonlight.

“What’s this?” asked Ginny almost surprised.

“Open it and you’ll find it for yourself.” He looked embarrassed now.

When she opened the paper the words glowed in the dark. “Did you use magic?” whispered Ginny.

Harry nodded, but nevertheless she started to read. It was a poem.

From my Heart

To Ginny,

When my life is in harsh sunlight,
You are the shade I crave.

If my life is a song,
Then you are the melody of it.

Your beauty mesmerizes me,
Your laughter takes my breath away.

With you,
My life is complete.

Harry

P.S: Most poems rhyme, but this one doesn’t.


Ginny was half laughing and half crying when she finished reading it. She fell on him and kissed him hard, and Harry held on to her as though his life depended on it.

***

It was the end of August and all the grandchildren were getting ready to go to Hogwarts for yet another year. Molly Weasley was hosting another send off party.

Harry Apparated to the boundaries of the Burrow. He walked in and as usual his eyes tried to take in his surroundings. He didn’t catch that flowery scent anywhere. He walked to the backyard and found George flying a magical kite which changed its shape from a Dragon to Hippogriff to a Phoenix to a broom and so on, every few seconds, and the boys huddled around him cheered every time.

Harry stood beside Ron and asked, “How was Hugo’s game? Sorry I couldn’t make it this time.”

Ron turned to him with a happy face. “It was fantastic. He saved four goals today. There is nothing like seeing your children doing something beautiful.”

Ron was now having the same look of pride which Harry had when he had seen his children’s success.

“Yeah, no argument there,” said Harry.

He looked around and found Ginny, laying flat on her back in the grass, along with Lily, Rose, Molly, Lucy and other nieces. He went and stood at her head and she looked up to him and said to others, “And that cloud looks like Harry.”

All the girls giggled.

“What’re you doing?” asked Harry following her gaze and looking up into the sky.

“We’re watching clouds,” said Lily, who was lying beside her mother.

“Ok, let me in, I want to join too,” said Harry and made a spot for himself between Lily and Ginny even when the other girls groaned.

“Look, that cloud looks like a rabbit,” said Lucy.

“I think it’s a dog,” said Rose.

Harry squinted his eyes and found that it looked like a bit of both.

After sometime of watching clouds and arguing whether it looked like a monkey eating an apple or a king sitting on his throne the girls had enough and they left one by one.

Harry and Ginny remained.

Ginny sat up and crossed her legs.

Harry rolled sideways and propped himself up on his elbow.

“When I was little, and wanted to wish you anything, I’d send my wishes through clouds, since I didn’t know where you lived,” said Ginny.

Harry smiled, rolled on his back and let out a big sigh.

“What?” asked Ginny concerned.

Harry looked at her and sat up. “I give you a poem that doesn’t even rhyme, and you do romantic things like sending me wishes through clouds.”

Ginny caressed his jaw with the back of her hand and said, “Harry, you know I’m not much into romantic gestures. What you wrote came from your heart and it means the world to me. I’ll cherish it forever.”

Harry smoothed her hair and pulled her on his lap and rocked gently.

After a while, Ginny said, “Those clouds look like two mountains. What do you see?”

Harry looked up and immediately his eyes lit up.

He looked down at Ginny with a smile which she associated with ‘something’s up’.

“What?” asked Ginny wide eyed.

“I see...” He gestured toward her chest and started laughing.

Ginny swatted his arms and blushed prettily. Harry pulled her in for a searing kiss.

“Ginny, dinner is ready!” called Molly.

“Come on, I’m hungry,” said Ginny.

Both walked towards the house where the chaos continued unabated. Life was good.
Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear