Search:

SIYE Time:8:14 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Commoner Queen
By Pilargirl

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 238
Summary: AU. A 1000 years ago, a magical Plague extinguished three quarters of Britain's magical population, including three of the four founders; Godric Gryffindor remained and founded a new world, with a monarchy that would last for years and years to come.

Now, Ginny Weasley is the Holyhead Harpies' star Chaser and a simple commoner, but Harry James Potter of Evans and Gryffindor, Prince of Wales, has an eye on her.
Hitcount: Story Total: 109464; Chapter Total: 6842
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews and sorry for the delay. Here's the first part of Chapter 9




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


17th April 2006

"Nice of you to show up," Elizabeth judging tone greeted her brother, who had finally come to send her off properly, even if he was still in his pyjamas and his hair resembled a rat's nest.

Harry ignored the comment and moved towards one of Elizabeth's maids, who was holding his beautiful niece.

"I'm going to miss you, Annabel," he spoke into the baby's ear as he kissed her cheek. "You have to promise me you're going to be a good girl for mummy. Vale, pequeñaja?"

The little girl murmured something in Spanish as her dad picked her up. She should probably be speaking more by now, but the fact that each one of her parents and grandparents spoke to her in a different language, meant that it would take her a little longer to speak them all.

"I'm sorry I haven't been all that available in these weeks, hermano," the King of Spain spoke to his brother in law.

"No pasa nada, Fede. I get that you've been busy with all these diplomatic things. But I do want to talk to you...I'm thinking about taking Ginny to La Concha, so we'll definitely stop by in Madrid.

Both Hermione and Elizabeth looked at Harry in shock, but Harry simply laughed at them.

"I thought you and Ginny had..." Elizabeth started quietly, so as to stop their parent's from hearing. "I mean, you've been locked up in your room for days, I thought you were dealing with the separation."

Harry moved forward and hugged his sister. "I'm not letting her go, Liz, she knows that and I know that..."

"But Dad and Mum..." Liz tried to understand.

"I love Dad and Mum, and I love England, Elizabeth; but I can't stand the thought of any of them without Ginny by my side. I really don't care what I have to give up anymore," he told his sister sincerely.

"That's very brave of you, Harry," she told him. "And I'm really happy you've been able to find that, even if circumstances aren't in your favour."

Harry smiled and leaned in to whisper even quieter in his sister's ear. "You have that too, Lizzy...I remind you that every marriage goes through the terrible twos...I know everything would be much easier if we weren't who we are, but don't lie to yourself... you love Federico, you always have loved Federico and you don't regret marrying him or having Annabel. You know that just as well as I do."

Elizabeth pulled back, close to tears, and leaned in to give her brother one last big hug. She hugged Max too and finally said goodbye to her parents and Hermione before taking her leave.


"She's leaving, you know?" Hermione told Harry as he walked out of his room, now properly dressed.

He looked at her and arched an eyebrow. "What do you mean she's leaving?" he asked her, worry starting to build in him.

"She's decided to go off with Gwenog... Once her legs are okay to walk again, they both want to leave for Italy or Greece, to coach some lower division Quidditch teams.

Harry's jaw dropped a little and he felt the need to sit down in the closest chair.

"She's telling the family tonight, at dinner. I thought you deserved to know," Hermione told him. "Especially since you said you would be taking her to Spain and, I don't know... she seems to think that you two are over. She told me you talked it through and decided to part ways."

Harry couldn't help the ironic laugh that left his lips. "Yeah... more like she tricked me into thinking we were okay and then left before I woke up, with a simple note."

Hermione looked down. "She also said that she thought you'd try to get to her again, but since you didn't... she thought you understood."

"I was trying to give her time!" Harry retorted. "I just thought she'd appreciate my giving her a few days... I mean, I did stay at her apartment for hours after she left, hoping that she'd be back, but she didn't return, so I thought I'd just give her time to realize how stupid she was being."

"I wouldn't say she's being stupid," Max, who had just come in, retorted. "I would say she's being intelligent and noble... giving you up so you don't have to face problems."

"You're too young to understand, Max..." Harry snapped at his younger brother. However, the teenager was having none of it.

"No, Harry... You know what I'm really too young for? Being heir to the throne! And if you don't stop chasing this girl, it's going to fall on me," the younger boy almost shouted. "That wouldn't be fair on me, Harry... You can't do that to me!"

Harry sighed. "I can't let her leave, Max... you can't ask that of me. And if we all have to abdicate, let it be...I think Dad has a few cousins who wouldn't mind taking the throne off of our hands..."

There was a silence, followed by a strong voice that shocked them all. "Oh, indeed they'd love the throne... However, I really wouldn't like to see it go to them, Harry."

James Potter looked at his son steadily.

"Could you please leave us, Max, Hermione? I need to speak to the Prince alone."

The air was heavy and the conversation was not going to be pleasant.


"I'm worried about you, Ginny," Molly Weasley's voice resounded in the room, which she walked up to her daughter and kissed her cheek softly.

Ginny smiled as she continued washing the dishes magically from the kitchen chair. "I'm okay, Mum... it's just been a few hard days..."

Molly Weasley sat beside her daughter and took the girl's hands into her own, stopping her wand movements.

"Is this about the young man that you've been seeing? The one whom you won't talk about?" she asked her.

Ginny rolled her eyes.

"That's not an issue anymore, Mum, we're over...it was just too complicated..." Ginny spoke with a broken voice.

Molly caressed her daughter's cheek and smiled sympathetically. "I just hate seeing you like this, Ginny. I just want to see you happy, and I could swear that you were finally there a few months ago. I don't know who this man is, or why it's complicated but, sweetheart, if he makes you happy, isn't that worth the struggle?"

Suddenly Ginny couldn't deal with it anymore, so she looked down and tried hard to contain the tears. "Oh, God, Mum... I found him, you know? I found the one...I thought I didn't believe in those things, but now I know that there's no one like him out there, that he's the only one who matches me in a way I'd never felt before. And I've told Gwen, I've told Hermione, I've told him and now I'm telling you, but I don't know what to do because there really is no way for us to be together."

Ginny let her head fall into her mother's lap and the matriarch ran her fingers through the red hair. "Ginny, darling, I've told you before that I was apart from your dad for a while before we got married, remember? Do you remember how I told you that I almost got engaged to Jonathan Gerald and left your dad because, well... because he wasn't rich and your grandma just didn't approve of the Weasley family?"

"Yeah..." Ginny answered.

"I loved Jonathan, I can tell you that, and, if I'm not wrong, I think it must've been very similar to what you had with Dean... I felt safe, I felt loved and I felt like, if I just tried, everything would always be perfect. With your dad, though, it was so different... I felt like I couldn't go to sleep if he wasn't by my side, I wanted to tell him even the most stupid things and, when I tried to leave, because my mum threatened to put in a bad word at the Ministry for dad's father... I... he didn't let me; he wouldn't hear a word I would say. Your dad came to my parents' house and kissed me in front of them and told them he was going to marry me whether they liked it or not... lucky for us, they didn't have another option, since I was pregnant will Bill at the time."

Ginny smiled at the tale and for a second wondered what could have happened if she hadn't been on the potion these last few months, if she had allowed herself to get pregnant from that one night with Harry. If that had been the case she would probably be going crazy but, thinking about it, knowing that it hadn't happened, she almost wished she had all the crazy.

"I think that's the way I love Harry, Mum," Ginny let out before she could stop herself.

Her mother smiled. "So, Harry, huh? Am I getting anymore information?"

Ginny sighed with relief and shook her head. "Trust me Mum, it's better if you don't..."


"If you had had to give up Mum, what would you have done?" Harry shouted at his father. "Would you have really left her? Married some pure blood you didn't love?"

"Harry, come on... I know you, you're not in love with this girl... it's always the same, you always fall for the same trick and end up getting fed up of them a few weeks later..."

Harry tried to calm down, but found that he couldn't. "You know this time is different... You have to know this time is different. Mum knows this time is different; Max and Liz know... God, I think even the dog knows this time is different, so you must know it too. Ginny is not Cho, Dad."

"She's a divorced woman, Harry..."

"I don't care!"

A pregnant pause invaded the room as they both tried to breath.

"I kept your Mum at bay, told her not to worry and you promised me I wouldn't have to interfere..." James told his son.

"I told you I couldn't make any promises," was Harry's response.

"Harry James," the older man tried to reason. "You're the future king of England, and I know it's hard, but all I'm asking is for you to meet a few Princesses and I'm sure one of them will be perfect for you..."

Harry shook his head. "I've been with a lot of women, Dad, you know that... And that has made me see that there's one for me, just one... the one person that can make me happy with simply being there, who hates crying just as much as I hate seeing woman cry; who doesn't fear anything, who knows how to love with an open heart, and, especially, someone who can see past my crown, who has always conceived my title like a problem; who actually understands what I want and who, if the time came, would be willing to leave everything to be with me."

"Forget about it, Harry... We're not even talking about a normal commoner here...she's been with other men before you. Even more men that just her husband!"

"So have I been with several women... What's the difference? That she's a woman?" Harry retorted angrily.

James shook him. "No, the difference is that, once this thing comes out, no one's going to be scared of looking into every detail of her past and the people will lose their faith in the monarchy. We're not just a Muggle monarchy, Harry... we don't just rule as a representation of our country... we are born with power and with a wisdom that no one else has, no one else can rule England! You know that!"

"All I know, Dad, is that I love Ginny."

And with that, Harry left.

James took his hands to his head and sat down on the nearest chair, wondering what he could do about this. He had never heard Harry speak like that before, he couldn't deny that. His son had spoken almost the same words he had spoken to his father when the older man had been against his marriage with a Muggleborn; Harry had actually stated that Cho, a woman his son had never actually given up on, was nothing compared to Ginny... that meant something, and James wasn't going to deny that it did. However, he just didn't know how he was meant to go about this; Ginevra Weasley must be an amazing woman; after all, she was Molly and Arthur Weasley's daughter, and she had been able to capture his son's womanizing heart, but she was a divorced woman, who knew nothing of protocol and who wasn't made for life in a magical court.

"I can almost hear you thinking, James," Lily told her husband as she came into the room and placed her hands on her husband's shoulders. "Are you finally worried about this?"James huffed.

"Can you believe he'd consider abdicating for this girl? Abdicating! How could he do that? England's his country... the blood flowing through his veins is infiltrated with the magical strength of monarchy; does he not realise what it would feel like to lose that? He goes about life as if his power is nothing out of the ordinary, but abdicating would make him a normal, average wizard... he doesn't know what it's like to live like that..."

"Neither do you," Lily retorted.

"Yes, but my dad did and I lived my childhood seeing how it destroyed him. He used to tell me about it all the time. He used to talk about the moment that he was forced to abdicate and how the magic was sucked right out of him and into Voldemort ..." James spoke softly.

Lily smiled and sat on her husband's lap.

"And, yet, you were ready to abdicate to be with me..." she spoke into the king's ear.

James put a few strands of her loose hair behind her ear.

"No amount of pain could ever keep me away from you," James told her with as much love as the first day he told her he loved her. "But it's just hard for me to believe that Harry could feel the same for someone..."

"And don't you think that that might be because you still see him as the six-year-old who used to tell you he would become the world's best ice-cream maker?" The red-head laughed, caressing the man's cheek.

James smiled.

"Yes, I guess... but it's more than that. Can Harry really love Ginny as much as I love you? For me there's only ever been you, Lils. I never so much as looked at another woman; I knew I loved you from the moment I set my sight on your eleven-year-old innocent green eyes...Yet, Harry's been with Merlin knows how many women and he's claimed to be in love before, hasn't he? And, what about Ginny Weasley? She got married, for Godric's sake! Do you really think she loves Harry? Or is she only playing with him? What kind of woman gets divorced?"

Lily shook her head at her husband. "Stop thinking so much, James; it almost suits you less than it suits Sirius. You know I've been against this from a beginning because I see things before you do and I realised this time was different, but... he loves her, James, he looks at her the same way that you look at me and I can tell that he's come to the conclusion that he wants to be with her in the long run."

"But that can't be..." James insisted.

"Then, just like you, he'll rather suffer the pain of abdicating than lose her. I obviously don't know what it's like to lose the power, but I can remember how the magic invaded me when that crown was put on my head, and If it's half as intense as that, then I can say it must be horrible. Nevertheless, I'd go through it a million times over for you, just like I think Harry would do for Ginny..."


"You look great," Ginny told Angelina as they both stood in the corner of the kitchen, while Molly and George got the table ready for dinner. In the living room, Victoire was playing on the floor while all the other kids were upstairs, already sleeping. Her dad was down on the floor beside her while Fleur sat at the largest sofa, talking to Hermione and Audrey. On the further side of the room, Arthur stood with Bill, Fred, Percy and Ron.

"I'm feeling better," Angelina told her friend. "I mean, I'm completely healed; I was already healed before you even woke up, but it took a few weeks for me to feel normal again..."

Molly looked up and smiled sympathetically at the woman while George finished placing the last fork and walked up to his girlfriend, putting his arms around her and kissing the top of her head.

"That's only natural," Molly spoke. "You know, I went through a similar situation in between Charlie and Percy... and I was very close to another one while I was carrying Ginny."

George tried his best at a smile. "In the end, the important thing is that Angie's fine, all the rest really doesn't matter... we have all our lives to make thousands of babies."

Angelina looked at her boyfriend with raised eyebrows. "You're not getting more than two out of me, so you might have to find the other nine-hundred-and-ninety-eight elsewhere."

A similar laugh to George's resounded and Fred came towards them, resting his elbow on his sister's shoulder.

"He couldn't look elsewhere if he tried! But, you should make an honest man out of my brother, Angelina. He used to be very innocent before he met you..."

For a small second, George and Fred shared a look; it was one of their looks, those brief looks that only lasted about a second, but held deep, prolonged conversations in them. The twins still weren't on stable ground, but they were slowly getting there. Fred had already forgiven everything, he was ready as ever to jump back into their past relationship and forget that he ever held any feelings for Angelina. After all, since the accident and finding out Angie had been pregnant, she was no longer his first girlfriend, or his first time or his first anything... she was only his sister-in-law and he had accepted that faster than he had ever thought he could.

The real problem was George, because his brother had spent months without saying a word to him; he had avoided him at the shop, at home; he had ignored his explanations, he hadn't accepted that he loved Angelina and, when he had talked to him, all his words were cruel and hurtful. So, George wasn't as ready to forgive as his twin was, but he was getting there, especially because he knew that he was also to blame in this mess and that, in the end, he was nothing without his brother.

"I'd marry him in a second," Angie told the red-head she had once thought she might end up with. "But he refuses to elope."

At the word elope, Molly's eyes went wide. "Elope? Oh, you wouldn't, would you? You wouldn't rid me of my son's wedding. Besides, marriages that start with an elopement never end well, just look at Ginny..."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Mum, I'm right here..."

Molly raised her eyebrows. "Sweetheart, you eloped when you were 18, in a Muggle ceremony and were divorced months later...are you going to tell me you aren't the true image of what you shouldn't do with your marriage?"

Ginny stuck her tongue out in an immature way before becoming serious again.

"Talking about mistakes I've made," she said. "Can everyone listen to me for a second?" She said loudly while she made her way to the centre of the living room. "I need to tell you something..."

However, just as the chaser got ready to share the news with her family, the doorbell sounded through the house. The members that stood inside of The Burrow looked at each other, trying to see who was missing.

"You're sure Charlie wasn't coming, right Mum?" Ron asked Molly

"Yes, absolutely. Besides, if it was your brother, he wouldn't ring the doorbell, he'd burst in without knocking, like all of you brutes always do!"

Ginny laughed slightly and walked towards the door. For a second, she wondered if it was Luna and she smiled at the thought, but the smile disappeared as she opened the door and revealed Harry James Potter, dressed in a Muggle shirt and Muggle trousers. Quickly, she came to terms with the fact that the Prince of Wales was standing outside her house and she took a step outside, closing the door almost completely behind her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked quietly, trying her best to bring her Weasley fury out, but finding that it was contradicted with how happy she was to see him after these last few days. The night they had spent together had probably been the best night of her entire life and it had taken a lot of effort to get up and write him that note, but, what else could she do? They were both doomed from the start, weren't they?

Harry smiled nervously. "I bought Firewhiskey," he said, showing her an expensive bottle of the drink.

Ginny sighed. "Godric, Harry, why are you here? I thought you understood..."

With that, Harry became serious again. "Did you really think I was letting you go? I was giving you time!

"Well, in my dictionary, 'giving me time' does not mean showing up at my parents' on a family night!" Ginny reproached.

Harry shook his head. "Don't turn this on me. I was all for giving you another week, until I found out you were thinking about leaving with Gwen! What on Merlin is that about?"

At this point, all the Weasleys were looking towards the door, wondering who it was that Ginny was talking to.

"That's really none of you business, Harry," Ginny told him. "I thought we were both on the same page. This cannot be; it really is as simple as that."

Harry lifted an eyebrow. "And the best way to get that point through was sleeping with me and leaving me a note? Give me a break, Gin... I'm not leaving, I'm not giving up on you..."

Ginny started to say something, but was interrupted by her mother's voice.

"Ginny, who is it?" The motherly sound came, making Ginny gulp. She looked at Harry with a begging look, asking him please to leave, but he answered negatively, shaking his head.

"I'm not leaving, Gin," he told her in a whisper, as the sound of steps became louder and Molly Weasley opened the door, revealing her only daughter and, to her surprise, the future king of England.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley," Harry started with a charming smile. "I know we've seen each other before, but I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of meeting you properly, I'm Harry."

Molly's jaw was a little open and she had almost dropped the apron she was carrying in her hand, having taken it off on her way to the door. It was true, the woman had seen the prince before, but it had been from a distance and never somewhere as common as her own house.

"Harry was just leaving, Mum," Ginny quickly said, sending Harry a glare and, a second later, cursing herself for using his first name so casually.

"Your Highness," Molly began, leaning down slightly, but Harry stopped her quickly.

"Oh, there's no need for that, Mrs. Weasley, please... I should be the one bowing to you for raising such a wonderful daughter. I'm just Harry, really, and I've been dying to meet you for a long time; Ginny's told me so much about all of you," Harry once again continued with his charming attitude.

Ginny cursed inwardly as her mother eyed her for a second, obviously putting two and two together and realizing who 'Harry' really was and why it was complicated to be with him.

The matriarch smiled at Harry kindly and opened the door wide. "Well, I'd like to say the same but we all know how secretive Ginny is. The last person I ever thought 'Harry' was, was the Magical Prince of Wales."

Harry almost blushed as Ginny rolled her eyes. She knew this game, he always played it with his own mother when he was in trouble and he was using it now.

"Well, you must stay for dinner, I was about to serve and there's plenty. Unless, of course, you have important arrangements, in that case, I completely understand," Molly told the guest, slowly getting over her initial shock.

Ginny was about to give a negative answer for Harry when the young man smiled at her mother and started walking into her house as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

All Ginny could think as she followed Harry into the living room and a complete silence took hold of the house, was that this was most definitely trouble.


 

Reviews 238
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear