Search:

SIYE Time:2:52 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Commoner Queen
By Pilargirl

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 238
Summary: AU. A 1000 years ago, a magical Plague extinguished three quarters of Britain's magical population, including three of the four founders; Godric Gryffindor remained and founded a new world, with a monarchy that would last for years and years to come.

Now, Ginny Weasley is the Holyhead Harpies' star Chaser and a simple commoner, but Harry James Potter of Evans and Gryffindor, Prince of Wales, has an eye on her.
Hitcount: Story Total: 109636; Chapter Total: 8217
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Well, I'm not sure how well this story was received but I'll keep trying to gain your attention. Hope you like it and please, REVIEW!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


29th June 2005 - 8 months later

"And Ginny Weasley grabs the Quaffle; only her flaming red hair can be seen as she speeds towards the goalposts, Wood looks slightly panicked...Weasley moves to the left, Wood copies her movement... she then moves to the right, the keeper tries to follow, but Ginny catches him half-way, the Quaffle hits the captain's arm and it rebounds straight into the middle goal post. Go, Ginny Weasley! What a Chaser this girl is..."

Harry smiled to himself as he listened to the wireless; in moments like this he wished the Wizarding world had televisions... he wished he could see her flying through the air.

She was amazing; Ginny Weasley was... the best Chaser he had ever seen. He'd only really seen her once, during the first quarter of a match that he'd been able to see while he was meeting up with his brother-in-law, the Magical King of Spain. Federico and he had been good friends in their youth. Funny enough, Federico had studied in Hogwarts, with Harry's sister, while Harry had studied in Monteconcha, a magical school situated in the south of Spain. They had both met in summer holidays, normally in France, and they were great friends, mainly because they were both in very similar situations, heirs to the throne and both sent out of their countries so they could get a better education that wouldn't be damaged by their fame and the risk of not being properly protected.

"Son, what are you listening to?" Lily Potter's voice erupted in the room.

Harry, a little startled, turned around and smiled at his mother.

"Just listening to the wireless, that Ginny Weasley is going to lead the Harpies to the final, I can just see it," Harry told her with optimism, an optimism that his mother hadn't seen in a while.

"Do you know her?" Lily asked, curiously.

Harry eyed his mother for a second and then answered. "Not yet," he spoke up. "But I will; I have got to ask her how she does that dive, she pulls it all so well, and I can barely..."

"Go on a broom," Lily finished sternly. "Right, Harry? You can barely go on a broom because it's dangerous and you're the heir to the throne."

Harry nodded. "Mum, I'm not fifteen anymore, I know what I can and can't do... When's Liz arriving?"

Lily rolled her eyes and the change of topic but answered the question. "In a week or two... Federico doesn't want to take the baby out of the country yet. I mean, she's only three months old, so I guess I understand, and Federico is busy. He doesn't want them to travel alone, that little girl is, after all, pretty important."

"And, Max, when's he coming home?" Harry inquired about his seventeen-year-old brother.

"Who knows?" Lily spoke with a laugh. "He loves Norway, he loves the 'Muggle' life... seriously, sometimes I think he must be a Squib with a wand that does magic on its own... It's lucky that he isn't you, Harry... I don't think he could deal with having to rule a magical kingdom like Britain."

Harry agreed with a quick nod and returned his attention to the game, but it was only a few minutes later that the royal protocol secretary came in.

"Your Highness, you have a meeting with the International and Warlike Affairs Ministers," the brunette announced kindly.

"Come on, call me Harry, Hermione," the man told her as he stood up. Hermione laughed. "Two years already and it's always 'your Highness... do I look any older than you? Do I look more intelligent? No, so just call me, Harry."

Hermione bit her lip. "I shouldn't, the rule 3.78 of the Magical Constitution declares that the royal family must be..."

"Hermione," Harry interrupted her. "You're a lot more intelligent, attractive and worthy than me, so, please, just call me Harry; because, prince or not, I'm still just a poor bloke who has to deal with being born, living and dying, just like anybody else."

Hermione offered him a small smile. "Were you listening to the Harpies match?"

Harry smiled and nodded. "You like Quidditch?"

Hermione laughed again. "No! Not really...but I married into a family who's very obsessed with it..."

Harry shot her a curious look as he realized he didn't know her married name. She had been single up to last year, but before Hermione could explain, her watch beeped and she told Harry that he was running late.

"Fine, but you have to tell me about your sporty in-laws some other time, Hermione!"


7th July 2005

"Floo-call me later on, okay?" Vicky told Ginny before walking out the door.

Ginny shouted a yes in reply and finished putting things in her bag. She grabbed two concert tickets and threw them in a bin, they were from months ago, for that concert that she and Lee had been about to go to before they decided that whatever they had going on wasn't really worth it.

The red-head was about to leave when she saw her brother in the lobby, seemingly waiting for her.

"Ron?" Ginny spoke up, causing the man to look up and smile at her.

Ron took a few steps forward and gave his sister a small hug. "Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah," Ginny told him. "Great... is anything up? What are you doing here?"

"Well, maybe I just came to see you," Ron teased her.

Ginny raised her eyebrows and answered sarcastically. "Sure, and maybe I don't play Quidditch. What's up?"

Ron sighed in defeat. "My boss, the Sports Minister," he started. "He's throwing a dinner tonight, but I can't go because Hermione and I have to go round her parents, so I thought maybe you could take my place... I mean, you know, Jerry... he might be the Minister but you guys get on well and there will be important people there, people that are worth knowing, so, you know...what do you think?"

"I don't know... until when will it go on? Because I've got an important match tomorrow," Ginny inquired.

"It'll go on until eleven maximum, really..." Ron told her.

"And, who'll be taking the place that Hermione won't be occupying?" Ginny asked.

Ron shook his head. "No idea. Jerry said he'd invited someone important; but he doesn't know if they're coming. It's a good opportunity and you'll enjoy hanging around these people. Besides, you'll be doing me a favour, I know they don't force Quidditch players to learn the protocol, but if you miss, someone must go in your place."

Ginny smiled. She and her brother had always been close, maybe a little less during Hogwarts and even less during the few months that her marriage lasted, when Ron didn't even speak to her, but they loved each other a lot. Maybe he got on better with Bill and she got on better with Charlie, but there was a bond between them, caused by the lack of a big age difference; that was too special to analyse.

"Fine, I'll do it, but if I turn out hating it, you're taking my place in the next Harpies investment meeting. I swear... I'll make you go through the whole five hours of money counting..."

Ron laughed and kissed his sister's cheek. "I'm sure you'll love it."


Ginny entered the lift and looked at herself in the mirror.

Her hair was a mess, completely loose and it was obvious that she had barely had time to deal with it; it curled on the ends like always and gave her a lion-like look. She also sighed at her clothes, she had tried her hardest to find a proper outfit, but the three dress robes she had were far too formal and everything else was too casual... she'd never really given that much thought to clothes. At Hogwarts she wore her uniform most of the time, and ,when she didn't, she wore jeans, a lot similar to now. In the end, she'd Flooed to Ron and Hermione's and taken the older girl's blue informal robe, which she hoped would fit in well enough.

She stepped out of the elevator and found herself facing a huge living room, decorated in light beige pastel tones but with a modern architectonic mix.

"The Red Flash!" Jerry Caporal's voice was heard approaching her.

Ginny smiled at the man in his fifties, who was being followed closely by his wife.

"It's Ginny, Mr. Caporal, no 'Red Flash' nonsense," Ginny greeted him as she shook his hand.

Jerry laughed. "No nonsense at all, it is a most brilliant name and describes you perfectly. And, Ginny, it's Jerry..."

Ginny smiled. "It's very good to see you, Jerry."

They both shared a small laugh before Jerry introduced his wife to Ginny, who greeted her politely.

"Please, feel free to go anywhere, there's appetizers on the centre table and we'll be eating in the garden when all the guests have arrived," the woman told Ginny kindly.

Ginny smiled and walked inside, greeting a few people on the way and stopping at one of her former Gryffindor roommates.

"Well, fancy seeing you here, Piper," Ginny laughed as she gave her old friend a hug.

Piper hugged her back tightly. "Well, I actually have a reason to be here, since I'm in the department; but, what's your excuse?"

"Well, my darling brother, whom you might also know as your thick ex-partner, couldn't make it... so, you know, protocol... he sent me instead," Ginny explained.

Piper gulped visibly at the mention on Ron but it only took her a second to regain her composure; then, looked around and leaned into Ginny's ear. "Have you heard?" she asked.

Ginny raised her eyebrows and shrugged. "Heard what?"

"That a certain very, very, very VIP is coming tonight," the girl told her with a mischievous expression on her face.

Ginny laughed, looking around. "Piper, there's three Ministers in this room, the lead singer from the Weird Sisters is standing in that corner, having a drink with Crowdwalk, the most famous writer of the last ten years and, apart from two or three family members, everyone in this room has been in the paper at least once a month...how more VIP does it get?"

Piper looked at Ginny with the same expression as before and then discreetly pointed at the elevator door, which had just opened.

Ginny's mouth fell a tiny bit.

"Okay," she admitted. "So maybe that does get a bit more VIP."

Piper laughed at the red-head, who was now looking at the latest guest. She had only really seen him once, at a match where she had flown near the royal box and he had been there with Federico of Bernanos, the King of Spain, who had attended Hogwarts as a Ravenclaw in Fred and George's year. That time was the only time she had seen him in flesh and blood but she, like every other British person, would recognise him immediately. Not only was he the future king of Britain, but he was also the only person known to survive the Killing Curse, using a protection granted to him by his paternal grandparents. The story was well known and heart warming, as was Albus Dumbledore's destruction of the tyrant, Voldemort, ten years ago, when he brought him back to life only to kill him once and for all. In that duel, the famous headmaster died, having been called crazy by half the world; nevertheless, he died with honour and respect.

The prince started greeting people and Ginny observed him with interest. He had always had a fringe that covered the famous lightning bolt scar, left behind by Voldemort, but Ginny had to admit that he looked taller now, more handsome, more manly...

She stood there thinking, almost missing the look that the prince gave her from the other side of the room. Ginny couldn't help the Weasley blush that flushed her face. Who hadn't ever dreamt of the prince? Who, when they were small, hadn't imagined themselves being the damsel in distress? It was all the fairy tales' fault, in Ginny's opinion.

Piper nudged her when the prince looked at her again.

"He's looked at you twice," Piper teased her.

Ginny hit her playfully on the back. "Hermione says he likes Quidditch, he probably recognises me."

Piper raised her eyebrows. "So the know-it-all is still working as a secretary?

Ginny frowned. "She's working as the royal protocol secretary...she works for all the royal family, identifies affairs, looks over things they have to sign, it's an important job."

Piper nodded in a careless sort of way and Ginny bit her lip, she knew that, for some reason, Piper had had a big crush on Ron in her Hogwarts years and also later on, when they had worked together for nearly three years; of course, Ron had only really ever had eyes for Hermione, even before he actually realized that he was head over arse in love with her.

"Good afternoon."

His voice was very clear and stable, not like on the wireless when he was doing the typical speeches. It was masculine but yet soft, and it had a sort of tune to it, but just from hearing those two words Ginny knew he wouldn't be able to sing to save his life.

Piper bowed slightly but Ginny didn't. She wasn't used to protocol; she had been brought up in a wild house, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by six brothers, her mum had taught them manners but no protocol, she probably had not thought it would be necessary.

"I'm Harry James," the prince spoke kindly. Ginny turned to see what Piper would say now, but, to her surprise and shock, the blonde had disappeared.

Ginny turned back to the prince and gave him an awkward smile. He wasn't very tall, but Ginny had inherited her mum's height, and with flat shoes, like the ones she wore today, she looked positively tiny next to him.

"Ginevra Weasley."

Since she had said her name the only thing Harry could think about was how royal it sounded. He continued repeating it in his head once and again: Ginevra, Ginevra, Ginevra...He knew the name came from 'Guinevere', King Arthur of Albion's wife.

"I go by Ginny thought," she added a little shyly.

Harry smiled. "I know," he told her. "I'm a big fan. You're the best Chaser I have ever seen... but don't tell my father I said that."

Ginny looked surprised. "The king was a Chaser?"

"My father," Harry spoke, accentuating the words, trying to blow away the title of 'king'. "Was and still is a great Chaser, he was taught by Julies Macronade himself."

Ginny looked even more stunned than before. "Macronade? He's the inventor of the Firebolt; he won the Best Chaser Award fifteen years consecutively. He played as a star until he was forty; he's the real legend. He was smart and a great flyer!"

The prince laughed at how quickly the red-head had started talking at ease, it was truly fascinating.

"And you, who taught you?" she asked quickly, but as she realized how loud and insistent it had seem she went back to being slightly shy. "I mean, if you do play."

"Of course I play," Harry answered with a smug smile. "Not as much as I would like, mind you, and with many more security accentuations, but...oh, do I play... duelling and flying are my escape. But to my father's shame, I am a seeker, and a natural one... the first time I jumped on a broom was with the Ki... a friend of mine, and he threw me a Quaffle so I could try and score, but he threw it badly and it was going to end up on a tree top; but I caught it... so, you know... yeah, I'm a seeker."

And just like that they started to talk about Quidditch, all kinds. And then they spoke about music. And after that they spoke about schools and places.


"I studied in the Costa del Sol; in the south of Spain... I went to the only Wizarding School there, Monteconcha. It's really amazing, it's in the middle of a huge valley just under this mountain top that they call 'La Concha', which means 'shell', and they call it like that because the top looks just like a shell, especially when it snows up there... which is pretty amazing because at ground level it's kind of warm, but up there it gets completely white. It's a beautiful place and Spanish people... well, they can be a little loud and impetuous, but they really grow on you, I really miss them...I always go back for a week or two in the holidays, if I can."

Ginny looked up at him with admiration. "It just seems so special... another country... I mean, it was hard enough being away for so long, you know, I missed my parents so much and, if something bad happened, they'd be beside me in a second... I just, I don't know; it's hard to think about it."

The night continued with more and more words and both of them acting like they were the only guests at the party. It was so easy, Harry thought; talking to her was a simple as breathing. The continued enjoying their time together until the time to leave came upon them, as did another subject.

"You went to Hogwarts, right? You probably know my brother and sister..." Harry inquired, handing a beer to Ginny.

"Yes," Ginny admitted. "Your sister, specially, a very strong Gryffindor, so strong and brave that I was surprised by the news of her wedding... I thought she'd want to explore the world, be free before tying the knot. She just had a daughter, right?"

"Annabel," Harry spoke proudly, thinking about his lovely niece. "She's a treasure."

"But the Princess... well, Queen now... she's so young, don't you think? I mean, we all make mistakes, marriage is the one that is committed the most, but having a child so early... it seems like we're in another era... I understand we are talking about monarchies, they're so old, so traditional but yet, they are so stopped in time, are they not? Don't you agree?" Ginny voiced out her opinion, but Harry remained silent.

"Who do you think the Quidditch final will be against? I think your team is a shoes' in, for sure..." the prince changed the subject as quickly as he could.

However, Ginny wasn't one to be played around with; anyone who spent more than a day with her would know that.

"You didn't answer my question," she interrupted him, sounding slightly angry.

He looked at her hardly. "I'm not going to answer that to someone who has journalist friends, which I'm sure you have..."

Ginny's lips formed a straight line as she looked up at him. Yes, it was true, she did have journalist friends, Colin being the best example; however, it made her angry to think that she couldn't talk to someone about what she wanted to, it didn't seem fair.

She gave him a court smile as she left the full glass of champagne on the closest table and took a step to the right, with her back to the prince and searching for other familiar faces.

Harry sighed and grabbed the glass, walking towards her and putting it in her hand again.

She turned and looked at him with a strange expression on her face.

"You tell yourself," she began to say. "He's the prince, but treat him like any other guest...but, you can't, can you? It's impossible."

"Not impossible," Harry argued. "As long as you don't mention politics, it's not impossible."

"So you can't have an opinion?" she asked, how could he be king if he didn't have an opinion?

"Oh, I have an opinion," he told her. "Who doesn't? And, I can have one, I just must not," he told her sincerely.

She looked at him for a second and then back down and her glass. The prince took the silence as his chance.

"Why don't we get out of here? We could have a drink someplace else..." Harry suggested, trying his luck.

Ginny looked up at him, but strangely enough, her face didn't show surprise, it showed a mixture between indifference and strength.

"What time is it?" her tone was indifferent, just like the expression on her face; Harry had the feeling that she was trying her hardest to sound like that.

He then looked at his watch, which had belonged to his great grandfather, King Thomas III, and then he looked back at Ginny.

"It's barely eleven," he told her, hope visible in her eyes.

She shook her head. "I can't," she told him. "I have to wake up early."

"What's early?" he asked casually.

She raised her eyebrows at his interest. "Six," she answered truthfully. "I go swimming, it helps my arms for the game and my back, I've never had the best back."

The prince sighed. "Then let me Apparate with you," he begged her. "To make sure you get home safe."

She shook her head again, but this time didn't say anything; she looked at him for a second.

"I really don't mind, once you get used to Apparating it really doesn't make a difference," the prince tried again but Ginny shook her head again.

"Do you live with your parents?" the prince insisted in asking. "Is that it?"

Ginny couldn't help the laugh that left her lips.

"Nope, I live in a tiny flat, eighty metres square, in the middle of London... I live alone," she confessed.

"Your flat fits in my bedroom," Harry commented, trying to make a funny joke, but he didn't really get there, it just made the moment a little more awkward. "But I live alone too," he added. "Still at the palace, it's the royal residence, but I live in a separate department."

There was a silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable, there was something to it that almost seemed special, safe.

"I'll probably regret this for a long time to come, but I have to go..." she finally spoke, looking up at the prince; she looked genuinely sad. "It's been a pleasure meeting you; it really has been a great evening..."

She put her hand out for him to shake, but instead he pressed his lips against her right cheek, a few second longer than necessary.

She pulled away politely and they shared one last look before she took a step back and headed towards the door.

Reviews 238
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear