Search:

SIYE Time:10:54 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The List
By Brennus

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 277
Summary: A freak accident clears the name of Sirius Black who then takes over the welfare of a young Harry Potter. A hideous discovery convinces Sirius Hogwarts is too dangerous for the young boy. Years later a lonely, over-worked Harry meets a young lady who will change his life and actually allow him to have a little fun. If only his fellow Aurors could work out who he was dating.
Hitcount: Story Total: 153599; Chapter Total: 16178
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Down below




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 13 — The end of the list

Harry took a deep breath as he crested the slight rise in the ground and took in the beautiful Dorset scenery before him. The small holiday cottage that he and Ginny had chosen for their break lay just to his front and beyond it he could see the blue-grey sea spread out in front of him. The cottage was a single story building with a small garden in front, which was just showing signs of starting to come into bloom. The walls of the cottage were white washed, and the door and window frames were of wood construction with black metal fittings. The grey slate roof gave the building a hardy, practical appearance that never the less suggested warmth and comfort.

Being a magical dwelling, a number of Muggle-repelling charms were in place, and to the average person looking at the building they would only have seen a few rocks at the end of the cliff. To Harry’s eyes the place looked perfect. He was thoroughly looking forward to his week with Ginny. Although only early April, the sun was warm and it was one of those spring days were you could almost see the plants growing. He could smell the scent of new grass mixed in with the tang of the sea, and felt his cares and worries almost drain out of him. He looked over at Ginny and she returned his happy smile as they continued over to the cottage carrying their bags.

They had debated bringing the house elves along with them, but in the end decided against it. Dobby and Winky seemed quite happy with the idea of being left alone at Grimmauld Place, and Harry wondered if they would be hearing the patter of tiny elven feet around the place pretty soon. To compensate, the elves had packed a food bag for the week, complete with a cooling charm. As they entered the cottage Ginny immediate set off to explore, while Harry entered the small but charming kitchen to unload the food. He was not too surprised to find his elves had placed an extension charm on the bag, and it contained enough food and drink to last them a month, let alone a week. As he unloaded pies, cheeses, loaves of fresh bread and a frankly ridiculous number of bottles of wine amongst a multitude of other goodies, he reflected that they certainly wouldn’t go hungry this week. Just as he was finishing up, he heard Ginny call him from another room.

“Harry! Come in here, you have to see this,” her muffled voice called.

Responding to her call, he moved through the very cosy looking front room with its wide fireplace and deep sofa. The place was wood beamed and its windows looked towards the sea. Leading off the room was a small passage way which led to a number of doors. He headed to the one at the end which was slightly ajar, assuming that was from where he had heard Ginny’s voice coming.

He pushed the door open and entered what turned out to be the main bedroom. The room was surprisingly spacious and decorated in a warm yellow colour. The furniture, which included a wardrobe and a dresser, were all of a rich dark wood and a similarly framed large mirror hung on one wall. The bed was a large, black metal framed affair, with a thick, warm duvet and looked very comfortable. All these details were completely ignored by Harry, as found Ginny lying naked on the bed.

“I’m very disappointed, Harry,’ she informed him, “we’ve been in this house at least fifteen minutes and you haven’t tried to made love to me once.” She pouted slightly as Harry attempted to get his brain to function. He tried slapping his head which seemed to work.

“How stupid of me! Let me correct that immediately.” Harry pulled off his clothes in a near world record time and jumped onto the bed. The holiday was starting off marvellously!

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP


It was late morning before the couple decided to get out of bed, mainly driven by hunger. After washing and dressing, they had a delicious lunch of chicken and fresh bread with a salad before deciding to explore. Pulling on their walking boots, they left the cottage and headed along the cliff-top path.

The sun was warm and the air fresh as they walked hand in hand along the path, occasionally veering off to explore small woods or rambling rivers. Harry could feel all the pressures of his life slip away from him as he wandered along, the rolling sea to his left and fields of long grass swaying the breeze to his right. Whatever tensions he had brought with him seemed to just drain away from him, and he felt more relaxed than he had ever done in his life.

Deciding they had gone far enough, the contented couple turned around and headed back the way they had come. They had partially retraced their steps when Ginny noticed a path leading down to the sea. They followed it and walked back along the surprisingly empty beach. The cliff wall frequently featured small caves and rock outcrops which they explored with the enthusiasm of five year olds, chasing after each other and laughing as they hid amongst the rocks. Unfortunately, the sea wasn’t nearly warm enough to swim in but they played games seeing how close they could get to the surf before their feet got soaked. Neither of them was very successful and a few discrete drying charms were required. Eventually, tired but happy, they made their way back to the cottage, where Harry volunteered to make dinner.

The early evening sun was just warm enough that they could eat outside. Harry had prepared a steak dinner with chips and peas, knowing it was Ginny’s favourite. A bottle of delicious red wine accompanied the meal. After they had finished eating, they sat on the garden bench and watched the sun slowly setting in a pink haze.

“Today really was perfect,” Ginny mumbled happily, as she burrowed into Harry’s side. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

“Yes, it really was,” he agreed, “and we have the rest of the week to enjoy as well.”

“Ummm, fantastic. I’m so glad we decided to take the holiday. I love you, Harry,” she sighed contentedly. Suddenly, Harry knew the moment he had been waiting for had arrived. Although he had planned to wait until later in the week, he instinctively knew this was the perfect time. He fought down the mounting fear which had gripped and gently unfolded his arms from Ginny so he could turn to look at her.

“Ginny, I just want to say a few things. Before I met you I was a real mess. I was lonely and confused, hiding in my work and suffering from nightmares nearly every night. I didn’t know what I wanted or how to put my life back together. Then I met you, and everything seemed to change overnight.” He paused to gather his thoughts. Ginny was looking at him with wide shinning eyes and a gentle smile. She started to speak but Harry stopped her by pressing a figure to her lips lightly.

“Just let me get through this, okay? I want to say that the last eight months I have been with you have been the happiest of my life, and I just can’t imagine not having you with me now. I would just be...nothing without you. I love you, Ginny, and for that reason I want to ask you…” he dropped to one knee in front of her, while retrieving a small box from his pocket that he had picked up from his family vault at Gringotts some days before “...Ginny, will you marry me?”

Harry saw that he had achieved complete surprise. For a second, Ginny looked stunned as her eyes grew wider and her mouth dropped open. But he knew this girl was made of stronger stuff and it only took a moment for a blazing, determined look to come onto her face. She took a deep breath.

“Yes, Harry, I will,” she replied simply.

A second later they launched themselves into each other’s arms laughing and crying at the same time. Harry eventually pulled away sufficiently so he could place what had been his mother’s engagement ring on Ginny’s trembling finger, before he took off running around the garden yelling ‘Yes!’ at the top of his voice. Ginny collapsed laughing at his antics. Eventually, he calmed down enough to come and sweep her into his arms and kiss her soundly. He then picked her up, intending to carry her into the bedroom.

“Harry, when are we going to tell my family?” Ginny asked, as they passed into the house.

“Do you mind if we wait until after the holiday? They’re bound to want to congratulate you and I really just want this week to be for us,” he replied.

“That’s fine, Harry. How about we go straight to the Burrow on Saturday and give everyone the good news?” Harry nodded in reply before laying her on the bed. They celebrated the rest of the evening.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

The rest of the week flew by. They spent their time walking in the beautiful countryside or along the beach, eating the marvellous food the elves had provided or just lazing around the house and garden. Long lie-ins and early nights seemed to be the order of the day, as well.

On the Wednesday, they walked to the small coastal village situated about a mile and a half to the east. They poked around the small shops and walked along the harbour wall, before enjoying a pub lunch at a cosy little establishment near the waterfront. They lingered in the place longer than they intended and by late afternoon were feeling suitably…refreshed. Ginny repeatedly showed off her engagement ring to the highly amused landlady of the establishment, who joined them in a toast to their future marriage. Several times, in fact. It was around six o’clock before the rather unsteady couple left the pub and made their way back to the cottage, selecting an ‘interesting’ short cut that Harry insisted would save time, but in fact added around a mile to their route. By the time the giggling pair made it back they were both exhausted and collapsed fully clothed onto the bed.

Before they knew, it was time to pack up and leave. Ginny was even a little tearful to be leaving so soon and they agreed that they would definitely return in the future. After the bags were packed, Harry magically sent them back to Grimmauld Place, while they Apparated to the Burrow. By this point Ginny was practically dragging Harry through the door into the kitchen where they encountered a surprised Molly.

“Oh, hello you two! I didn’t think we would be seeing you until tomorrow,” she greeted them.

“I know, but we have some news we would like to share with you. Is Dad about?” Ginny asked, keeping her hands behind her back. Molly Weasley, being a highly efficient mother, immediately seemed to guess what the news would be. Her eyes went wide and she bit her bottom lip, before charging into the other room shouting for her husband to join them. Seconds later, a rather bemused Arthur walked into the room and eyed the couple for a second before breaking into a grin, he being just as canny as his wife. Not being able to restrain herself, and fearful her mother might explode with anticipation, Ginny thrust her hand out in front of her to display her ringed finger.

“We’re engaged!” she declared. Her simple words produced the anticipated explosion from Molly who screamed with joy and nearly flattened her daughter in her attempt to hug her. Arthur was somewhat more restrained, but vigorously shook Harry’s hand to the point his arm nearly severed, before Molly pulled them all into a group hug.

Miraculously, and Harry never did figure out how she did it, Molly within seconds managed to alert the rest of the Weasley family. First to arrive were Ron and Hermione, with the latter throwing herself at the happy couple with nearly as much energy as Molly had done. George and Angelina arrived next, with Bill and Fleur, plus their small child, following. Percy and Audrey also turned up and, incredibly, Charley Weasley managed to make it back from Rumania at short notice, finally giving Harry the chance to properly meet the man.

An impromptu celebration party was soon in full swing and via a floo call Harry managed to convince Andromeda to come over, bringing little Teddy with her. Teddy soon made friends with Bill and Fleur’s daughter, Victoire, and they chased each other round the house giggling as they ran.

Harry looked around the room at the happy faces and realised that finally, after so many years, he actually had a family. Deciding there was only one way to celebrate, he helped himself to another piece of Molly’s superb walnut cake and went to find his fiancé.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Harry walked into the Auror’s office on the following Monday morning a very happy man. The whole weekend had turned into a celebration party and he was touched at how warmly the Weasleys had accepted him into the family. He felt extremely close to all of them, even George (it was amazing how two men could bond by dancing like idiots in a nightclub). With a contented smile, he slid into his seat and looked over at the expectant faces of Suzie, Robbie and Malcolm.

“Got your next list for my rejection, then?” he teased. Robbie just looked sourly at him and handed over this week’s list. Harry glanced down at it and nearly burst out laughing. The timing was just perfect, after all these months there it was:

No7 Ginny Weasley

Harry paused a second, deciding how he wanted to play this. He definitely wanted everything wrapped up by the end of the week as he knew the marriage announcement would appear in the Daily Prophet on Friday. He looked up at his team who were all staring at him strangely.

“Okay, so the rules of the game have changed. This is how we are going to play it…” he began.

“Hold up there, Harry!” Robbie nearly shouted. “As you haven’t thrown the list back at me in a crumpled little ball, am I to assume…” his voice trailed off.

“Her name’s on the list,” Harry confirmed. Pandemonium broke out. It was sometime before order was restored, and by then half the office was gathered round the desk. Harry held up his hand for quiet.

“Right. Clearly, your number one guess is wrong, so that still leaves you nine other candidates,” he continued. “Now, I’m going to give you three guesses. Submit a list to me tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. If you haven’t got the right name by that point there will be a forfeit.”

Suzie looked up worriedly. “What kind of forfeit?”

“Oh, nothing too bad. Good luck!” With that he picked up a folder and headed to a meeting that was scheduled. He kept his fingers crossed that he would get three wrong guesses.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPsauceHPHPHPHP



Harry enjoyed the rest of the week. He had discussed his plans with Ginny and she had agreed to supply the materials required if the forfeit was triggered. Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s lists were presented to him with the names that had appeared as number two and three on Monday’s list in the number one slot. With joy in his heart, he had crumpled the parchment up and gracefully tossed it at his colleagues.

Thursday morning dawned and Harry cheerfully wandered into the office. He was only moderately surprised to see what looked like half the entire Auror force gather around his desk, although the presence of his boss, Gawain Robards, was something of a shock. Feeling a little self-conscious, he slid into his seat. Suzie stood in front of him and solemnly handed him the final version of the list. Harry struggled not to burst out laughing at the seriousness of it all.

Unfolding the parchment he looked at the list his eyes seeking one name only. There it was, Ginny Weasley…at number two! He pondered for a moment why her name had moved up the list, but really it was irrelevant. He and Ginny had won!

Slowly and carefully he straightened in his seat and held the parchment out before him…..before quick-as-lightning screwing it up into a ball and throwing it at Suzie. The whole room exploded in noise and Harry saw Robbie sink his face into his hands. Malcolm sat where he was just shaking his head sadly and Suzie remained stock still with a face like thunder, obviously not keen at have balls of parchment bounce off her nose. Harry was also amused to see quite a bit of money changing hands and guessed quite a few side bets had been placed on the result. He resisted laughing as he saw Gawain Robards handing over a stack of galleons with a sour look on his face. Eventually, as the noise levels dropped, Suzie addressed him.

“Well then, Harry, which of the remaining six was it? Who is the mystery woman?’ she almost snarled. Harry looked around at the expectant faces.

“Not telling!” he shouted to universal protest. He again raised his hands for quiet. “But I can assure you that you will find out tomorrow,” he promised. After much muttering everyone returned to their seats. Harry grinned; he would need to speak to Ginny tonight.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Next morning Suzie, Robbie and Malcolm entered the office to find a box on each of their desks. A further, larger box was placed in the middle of their desks and there were notes attached to each of them. The three smaller boxes all had identical notes which read:

Good Morning.

Here is your forfeit. You must wear all the items in this box for the entire working day. At no point can any of these items be removed or you will attract another, greater forfeit.

See you later,

Harry

The larger box had a similar note addressed to all three of them stating that the items in the box must be clearly displayed around their desks for the entire working day again with a threat of punishment for removal. Robbie opened his box and looked in.

“At least we know she is a Harpy now,” he sighed.

As the rest of the office filed in they were greeted by an unusual sight. Normally Aurors wear rather formal, officious-looking green robes. Today, however, three Aurors appeared to have been kitted out with more informal wear. Suzie, Robbie and Malcolm were all dressed in matching Holyhead Harpy jersey’s, shorts and socks. Sat on their heads were oversized Harpy hats and round their necks were Harpy scarves. Scattered around their desks were a collection of posters, flags, mugs, calendars, miniature figurines and novelty pen holders all relating to the Harpies. There was so much merchandise that the whole area looked like one huge green and yellow blur.

Of course, their fellow Aurors were extremely sympathetic and didn’t stand too long at their desks laughing. Only a few pictures were taken of the rather grumpy trio with the promise that distribution would be limited to only official Ministry departments. Their temper was not helped by the absence of their glorious leader, who appeared to have done a bunk that day. It was approaching lunch time and Harry had still not appeared when Suzie spoke out in frustration.

“Where the bloody hell is Harry! He was supposed to be here! If nothing else, he was meant to reveal his bloody mystery women to us today,” she moaned.

“And so he will!” cried a voice behind them. They turned to find Harry approaching their desk, dressed in casual clothes and a mile-wide grin on his face. Their interest was immediately piqued by the presence of a small figure beside him wearing robes with the hood up.

“Once again, you have failed as investigators!” Harry said solemnly as he reached them. “A brief glance at the holiday board would have revealed that I took the day off. I only popped in early this morning to leave you your wonderful new uniforms.” A small snort issued from underneath the hood of the robed figure and the team all glared.

“So, do we get to meet your mystery lady then?” Suzie asked a little abruptly. Harry turned to the robbed figure questioningly. The figure shrugged and cast off the robes revealing a small, red haired woman. Robbie and Malcolm both groaned while Suzie, not the world’s greatest Quidditch fan, looked confused.

“Ginny Weasley!” Robbie groaned. “Your girlfriend’s Ginny Weasley!” Harry sighed dramatically. Ginny just gave a little wave of her hand.

“See, Robbie, you’re still getting it wrong,” Harry complained.

“What do you mean? Is she or is she not the girl from the list?” Robbie asked, looking increasingly flustered.

“Yes, she is the girl from the list. No, she is no longer just my girlfriend.” Harry reached into his jacket and withdrew a carefully folded newspaper which he threw onto the desk in front of him. The three Aurors crowded round to read it before looking up with a stunned look on their faces.

“Engaged?” cried Suzie, looking distraught. Ginny chose this moment to speak up.

“Yup, engaged. Well, it was lovely meeting you all, especially after having to wait so long.” Harry chuckled at the emphasis Ginny placed on the last two words. “But me and my fiancé have a table booked for lunch and we don’t want to be late. Nice outfits by the way. Bye!” With that, she took Harry’s arm and led him out towards the door.

Harry sneaked a quick look back at his team and he left the office and was delighted to see their stunned looks. As he passed the through the door he saw Robbie pick up the newspaper containing their engagement notice and throw it in the bin. He giggled to himself.

The game was definitely over.


AN

And that’s your lot, boys and girls. You didn’t seriously think I’d have Ginny say no, or Suzie get in the way, did you? I always said that this was a happy little story.

I really have mixed feelings about finishing this story. On one hand I’m quite proud of my first ever attempt at writing, but on the other hand I’m really sad it’s all over. I have, however, enjoyed it immensely.

HUGE thanks to my beta MinistryMalcontent. Tom, you’ve been wonderful and very educational. Without you this story would have been an unreadable mass of compound sentences and misplaced commas. Also thanks to anyone who reviewed - we had some great banter, guys.

For anyone interested there will be a sequel (five and a bit chapters already written and the ending all worked out) and I have a short story which might make an appearance at some point as well.

Thank you, SIYE, and goodnight.
















Reviews 277
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear