Search:

SIYE Time:19:33 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Time for Family
By luukjn

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/PM
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Rape, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 18
Summary: After his father died, James abandoned his family. Only when Albus is dying does James realise what happened. By accident, James travels back in time and is given a second chance to save his family.
This story is part of my 'Family of Harry Potter' series.
Hitcount: Story Total: 36197; Chapter Total: 1920







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 9: Professor Popov

The rest of the holidays go by quickly, and before I know it we are back at Hogwarts. Before I'm even able to see the ceiling of the Great Hall, I'm being cornered by Lorcan.

"James, could I talk to you for a moment? Alone?" Lorcan asks urgently. I have never seen him this urgent before. Normally nothing seems to faze him.

"What is it, Lorcan?" I ask warily once we are in a classroom away from prying ears.

"It is about Lily," Lorcan says abruptly.

Instantly I'm on my guard, remembering the conversation I overheard between Lorcan and Lysander earlier in the year.

"What about Lily?" I ask harshly.

Lorcan sighs and shakes his head.

"I heard about your suspicions, James, but they are not true. You only heard what Lysander said," Lorcan says sadly.

"That's it?" I ask warily.

"No, I spoke about my concerns to Lysander, that is probably the conversation you overheard, but he dismissed them," Lorcan says.

"Get to the point then," I say.

"There is a dark aura around Lily and just now I saw it again; it was a lot darker than I had seen it before the holidays," Lorcan says in a low whisper.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, confused. Dark Auras?

"I always could see 'auras.' Mum can do it too. She always explained it away as 'wrackspurts' and what not, but in truth, they are auras. Lily's aura is usually very bright, but lately, ever since Mr. Potter died, well, it has become steadily darker. I have never seen anything like it," Lorcan explains.

Nothing of what Lorcan just said makes any sense to me, except for the part were Lily is becoming dark.

"And you know how this is happening, don't you?" I ask threateningly.

"Just that I noticed that her aura has become rapidly darker ever since she started hanging out with Scorpius Malfoy," Lorcan says seriously.

"Not you too! First Albus, now you? What do you guys have against Scorpius?" I ask. This is starting to get ridiculous. Lorcan and Lysander had always been quite receptive of Scorpius.

"Scorpius too, has a dark aura around him, though, not as dark as Lily" Lorcan says simply before he leaves the classroom, leaving me behind to wonder what it was all about. After thinking about it for a while, I decide to disregard Lorcan's ramblings. If Lysander doesn't think there is a problem, then there probably isn't.

But then I remember what happened in the bathroom of Weasels' Keep and I shudder. Now I hope that Lorcan is wrong and it will all just work out.

~O~

The term goes by just like the last, except that I'm noticing that Scorpius is acting more and more nervous as the term progresses. For some reason he has been hanging back after Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons. Lily is getting more irritated, and Popov has stopped trying to put Lily, Albus and me in detention. Instead Popov has taken to trying to keep Albus and Lily after classes. But with Scorpius hanging around Popov always lets them go without a word.

The one noticeable event during the term is a letter I receive at the beginning of April, announcing the birth of Remus Harry Lupin, and stating that I would meet my godson as soon as I left school for the summer holidays.

I try to keep an eye on everything, but my NEWTS are approaching and more often than not I have to study instead of keeping an eye on things.

And before I know it, my NEWTS are upon me. It is the first day of NEWTS, and I'm clearing out my trunk to look for a book I have lost and need for some last minute revision. It is then that I find Lily's locket in my trunk, I had completely forgotten that I even had it.

Picking it up, I'm reminded that I'm failing in the mission Albus has given me. Heavily I sit down on my bed, trying to figure out how to fix everything. Lorcan had said that Lily's aura was going dark. At the time I had dismissed it, but what if it was the truth? What if Scorpius was the cause of it all? Albus is right, I'm responsible for that. I always defended Scorpius this year, despite what everyone was saying. But why did I?

While looking at the locket I remember the nightmares I have been having ever since going back in time. Scorpius had been in most of them, also as a prisoner of the Dark Dryad. Was that all just an illusion?

Deciding to try and see what Scorpius is up to, I put the locket in my pocket and go back to my trunk and quickly find the Marauders Map and check it to find Scorpius.

It takes me a while, but then I find Scorpius in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. I stand up to go and confront Scorpius when my eyes fall on the person Scorpius is with. At first I have to double check if I'm sure, cause it is impossible, but it is right there, in the black ink of the Marauders Map.

Scorpius Malfoy is in the same room as Harry Potter.

"James, aren't you supposed to go down to do NEWT exams?" Someone asks from behind me.

I jump and see Albus standing there.

"Merlin, Al, you scared me," I say distractedly.

"Didn't mean to, just wondering," Albus says, keeping up his hands.

"Yeah, but Al, look at this," I say, pushing the Marauders Map under his nose.

"What am I supposed to look at?" Albus asks warily.

"Look at the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom," I say.

Albus looks at the map, and lets out a deep sigh.

"It is as I thought then," Albus says sadly.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"I have been suspecting this since after Christmas. It all makes sense!" Albus says, suddenly excited.

"What? No, it doesn't!" I shout out.

"Come on, James, don't you think it is time we confronted our dear Professor Popov?" Albus asks, his eyes glinting.

"Al, what?" I ask, thoroughly confused now.

Albus doesn't wait for an answer, but takes the map and leaves the dormitory. I quickly follow. It is only when we have left the portrait hole that Albus starts talking.

"It all makes sense, it is the only way that Dad could have disguised himself so successfully. It is quite brilliant actually," Albus says.

"What are you talking about?" I ask annoyed.

"Come on, you saw the proof, Professor Popov is actually Dad!" Albus says excitedly.

"Al, you heard Ron, Dad can't disguise himself that well! And last time I checked Popov didn't have much hair, and his eyes are grey, he doesn't have any glasses!" I point out.

"That is why it is so brilliant! He is not using Polyjuice, he is using an ageing solution! Remember that new product George came out with about a year ago? That made you look like fifty years older? I'm betting Dad has been using that the whole year!" Albus explains.

"But the hair," I begin.

"The hair he has is quite messy, right?" Albus says. I have to say he has a point there.

"The scar?" I ask, starting to see what Albus is getting at.

"He is always wearing that headband, I would bet it is not as much used to keep the hair he has back, but to hide a scar," Albus says wisely.

"And his eyes?" I ask, unable to see how Albus can get round that one.

"What is the difference between me and Dad?" Albus asks instead.

"Dad has glasses, you don't," I say at once.

"Exactly, I use contact lenses! I have been trying to convince Dad to use them for a long time now, but he stubbornly stays with glasses all the time. Contact lenses are perfect to change eye colour!" Albus explains smugly.

By the time Albus is done with his explanation, we arrive outside the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. Scorpius is just leaving it and does not seem to notice us when he quickly walks past.

Not taking notice of him, Albus and I enter the room to see Popov cleaning up his desk.

"Mr and Mr Potter," Popov says, sounding surprised.

"You can drop the act now, Dad," Albus says impatiently, holding up the Marauders Map.

"You figured it out then," Popov says, sounding relieved. He waves his wand and before my eyes he grows younger. His hair becomes jet black, he even stands straighter.

And before I know it, I'm looking at my father. The only difference is that this version has grey eyes instead of green.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to keep these contacts in, they are a nightmare to put in!" Dad says, smiling at Albus.

I stare dumbly at Dad, my brain still not processing what I'm seeing.

"It is good to see you again Dad!" Albus says, and before I know it Albus is embracing Dad and welcoming him as though he just only came back from some long Auror mission, instead of being dead all this time.

"I saw you die," I say. I am horrified to feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, James," Dad says sincerely.

"You couldn't have told us that you were alive?" I ask.

"I tried, remember? But I taught you too well," Dad says, smiling.

"You didn't try hard enough then!" I shout angrily, swiping at my eyes, which seem to have decided to stream.

"Like I said at the beginning of term, there are eyes and ears everywhere, except here," Dad says warily.

"Then why didn't you tell us at Christmas?" I ask.

"I tried, but Ron rightfully threw me out, remember? And you didn't make it any easier either," Dad says.

"Yeah, well, you didn't make it easy for me to trust you!" I say harshly.

"True, we both have been fools," Dad says, finally letting go of Albus, who is looking warily between Dad and me.

"Don't call me a fool!" I shout. But somewhere I know that Dad is telling the truth.

"I admit, I made some mistakes this year. I should have tried harder, I maybe should have told Neville, Ron and Teddy what I was up to," Dad says sadly.

"What about mum?" I ask.

"She knew from the beginning, she even helped me with the disguise," Dad confesses.

"She knew?!" I shout.

"Don't hold it against her, she played her part brilliantly. It has always been my secret to tell," Dad says sadly.

"Why is it that I only saw you on the Marauders Map now? I have been checking it regularly this year," I say finally calming down somewhat

"I did not know where the Marauders Map was. I did not know it was still in Potter hands. I found a spell in some old books of my Dad's, a spell that could be used to hide from the map. I have been using it all year. I must have forgotten it this morning," Dad explains.

"Why the secrecy? Why go through all this trouble?" I ask.

Dad stands up and looks out of the window. The window is looking out over the Lake. In the distance you can see Dumbledore's Tomb.

"It is about the Elder Wand. Someone is after it," Dad says.

"The Elder Wand?" I ask dumbly. Were Lorcan and Lysander right again?

"I had to 'die' so that I could trap the person who is after it. He had to believe he is the master. Meanwhile I set a trap for him here," Dad explains.

"Scorpius?" Albus asks.

"No, I don't know who actually, I have my suspicions, but I'm not sure," Dad says sadly.

"Lorcan and Lysander?" I ask.

"No, certainly not them!" Dad says, laughing.

Dad turns around looking from Albus to me.

"Aren't you supposed to be in NEWT exams James? And where is Lily?" Dad asks suddenly.

I look at my watch and see that I'm way too late for my NEWT exams now, while Albus checks the Marauders Map.

"She is near the lake with Scorpius," Albus informs us.

"What?!" Dad shouts as he runs towards Albus to look at the map.

"Oh, no! We don't have a moment to loose!" Dad says urgently while he reapplies his disguise and walks swiftly out of the room.

I look over at Albus who gives me a nod and then he follows Dad out. I quickly follow as well.

"What did Scorpius want with you?" I hear Albus ask when I come in hearing range.

"He had some information for me," Dad says shortly.

"What kind of information?" Albus asks.

"That is betveen me and Mr. Malfoy!" Dad says. I realise he has fallen back in his Popov persona now that we are walking through the halls of Hogwarts.

"Do you have to...?" Albus asks.

"Yes, the valls have eyes and ears," Dad says simply.

"Give it up Al, you know how he can get," I say when I catch up with them.

"You should be in your NEVTS Mr. Potter!" Dad says sternly, but he does not stop walking.

"I'm way to late for them now, there is no way I'm going to be able to do them," I say shrugging.

Dad gives me a look that clearly says that we will talk about that later, but he does not say anything more on the subject.

"Where are we going?" I ask after a while.

Dad sighs and rubs one of his hands over his now bald head.

"Dumbledore's Tomb, ze trap has been set off," Dad says, now hurrying up.

Dumbledore's Tomb? Trap? It is happening now? I know Dad well enough that he will try to keep Albus and me out of it. But I also realise I'm not going to allow him to. This affects us too now.

At the Entrance Hall Dad stops suddenly and turns towards Albus and me.

"The tvo of you should go to your Common Room," Dad says.

"You can't stop us from coming with you now!" Albus whispers urgently

"I don't want either of you involved in this!" Dad whispers urgently back.

"Well, it is too late for that now, we are involved, whether you like it or not!" I whisper heatedly.

"I don't have time for this," Dad mumbles under his breath and he turns sharply around and marches across the grounds. Before we can make it out of the front doors, Dad flicks his wand and the great doors close before our very noses.

"Well, Dad doesn't know us very well if he thinks that these doors are going to stop us," Albus says, glaring at the doors. Before I can wonder what Albus is up to, he turns around and walks into one of the few classrooms that are actually on the Ground Floor. Albus quickly pries the window open and sneaks outside. I quickly follow him.

We both run in the direction of Dumbledore's Tomb. When we arrive we see Lily and Scorpius standing near the lake. Dad is facing off with none other then Draco Malfoy.

Albus and I join Scorpius and Lily just when Draco holds up a wand. When we come closer we see that Dumbledore's Tomb is open.

"You lost, I have the Elder Wand now!" Draco says threateningly.

"Are you okay?" I whisper when we get close to Scorpius and Lily.

"Yeah, no thanks to you or Scorpius here," Lily says scathingly.

"Hey, Mr. Popov came just in time, you were going to get yourself killed otherwise!" Scorpius says exasperated.

"I had it under control, Scorp!" Lily nearly shouts.

"An Elder Vand that does not vork for you?" Dad asks.

"What do you know about it? I killed Potter! Potter was the master of the Elder Wand, Now I'm the master, there is nothing else to it!" Draco says loudly.

"So you admit it?" Dad asks, his wand pointed straight at Draco.

"Yes, it doesn't matter anyway, you will be dead soon!" Draco says, his eyes filled with hatred.

"I'm afraid I'm not quite dead yet," Dad says, as he cancels his disguise.

"Bloody Hell," Scorpius mutters under his breath, I look strangely at him and see that he has gone deadly pale for some reason.

Lily gasps and looks at Dad as though she can't believe her eyes. I know how she feels, I still feel like that when I look at Dad. Dully I hear something drop.

"What? How?" Draco asks astonished.

"You did not kill me at the duel, you killed Viktor Krum, your former accomplice I take it?" Dad asks calmly. I'm feeling someone move beside me and when I look I see that Albus is pocketing something.

"It doesn't matter, Viktor defeated you! That is how you said it worked when you killed Voldemort remember? Either way I'm the master of the Elder Wand now!" Draco says threateningly.

"Viktor defeated me in a friendly duel, it is all about intent, dare to wager on it?" Dad asks, still infuriatingly calm.

"Fine! Avada Kedavra!" Draco shouts, just as Dad shouts "Expelliarmus!"

A deadly looking green light comes from Draco's wand while a bright red light comes from Dad's wand. The two beams meet in the middle and there is a loud explosion. We are all thrown to the ground.

Draco is the first to come to and stand up, but before he can do something I hear someone shout "Expelliarmus!" from beside me and see Draco's wand flying towards Albus who is just getting up from the ground. Albus deftly catches the wand. Meanwhile Dad has gotten up from the ground and has Draco bound. When he walks back to us, he is looking at his wand wonderingly.

"That shouldn't have happened," he says, tapping his wand in his hand as though testing it.

"Al, careful with that wand," Dad says, but before he can say any more Uncle Ron comes running from the direction of the castle.

"Neville said I could find you three here," Ron says as soon as he is in range. But he stops still as soon as he notices Dad.

"Harry," Ron says coldly.

"Ron," Dad says warily.

"You know I should thump you after what you have done, and I would if Ginny didn't need you now," Ron says harshly.

"Ginny? What is wrong with her?" Dad asks sharply.

"She is at St. Mungo's, she just vomited black," Ron says, before turning around and marching back to the castle.

Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear