Search:

SIYE Time:19:22 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Time for Family
By luukjn

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/PM
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Rape, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 18
Summary: After his father died, James abandoned his family. Only when Albus is dying does James realise what happened. By accident, James travels back in time and is given a second chance to save his family.
This story is part of my 'Family of Harry Potter' series.
Hitcount: Story Total: 36112; Chapter Total: 1942







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 12: Smothered

Quidditch.

< p>"THOMAS, TURNER, CORNER, MCLAGGEN. MCLAGGEN THROWS AND MISSES!"

I miss it.

"AND MCLAGGEN GRABS THE QUAFFLE, AND GETS HIT BY A BLUDGER IN THE BACK, THUS DROPPING THE QUAFFLE!"

The feeling of the wind blowing through my hair.

"O'HARE GRABS THE QUAFFLE AND SCORES! 20 — 0 FOR THE KESTRELS"

The thrill of chasing after the opposition.

"WOOD THROWS TO MCLAGGEN. TURNER, MCLAGGEN, CORNER, MCLAGGEN AND MCLAGGEN THROWS AND MISSES!"

The feel of the Quaffle under my arms.

"PUDDLEMERE UNITED IS GETTING SLAUGHTERED BY THE KENMARE KESTRELS IN THIS GAME!"

The thrill of competition.

"AND MCLAGGEN MISSES YET AGAIN!"

The thrill of scoring.

"WILKINS IS DIVING. HAS HE SEEN THE SNITCH? FINNIGAN HAS SEEN IT TOO, AND THE TWO SEEKERS RACE FOR THE VICTORY!"

The thrill of victory.

"AND FINNIGAN CATCHES THE SNITCH. THE KENMARE KETRELS WIN WITH 190 — 30!"

Disgusted, I turn off the wireless. I don't even know why I torture myself by listening to how badly Puddlemere United is doing. Obviously, I'm a better player then this McLaggen guy. No, instead of flying in the air, I am cleaning Olivander's shop, chopping sticks in various lengths, and hollowing out said sticks so they can be turned into wands.

The work is tedious and boring. Albus seems to enjoy it however.

It has been a year since mum and dad died. Olivander made it quite clear that Albus and I were to do some work in the shop if we wanted to stay and live in the flat above it. Albus quite enthusiastically accepted, while I just accepted so I would not be thrown out.

Over the past year Albus and I have been doing everything we can to keep the damage Lily can do as small as possible. During this time there has been no sign of Scorpius. Meanwhile Albus is working hard on the time travel potion.

Quite often Albus and Olivander lock themselves in a room in the back of the shop, discussing Merlin knows what. I think they are examining the Elder Wand that I found out Albus had also picked up at Dumbledore's Tomb.

I put away the broom I have been using to sweep the floor, knowing that my work for the day is finally done. I wonder how far Albus is with the potion. It has been nearly two years since I have been sent back in time and all this started.

I check my pocket and find I still have Lily's locket. Over the last year I have kept it safely there. Warily I walk into the flat I share with Albus, to once again see Albus leaning on the counter top. This time a full vial of potion is sitting on the kitchen counter next to him. A cauldron is slowly boiling at the back of the kitchen.

"The potion is ready?" I ask as I enter the flat.

Albus looks warily at me before he nods.

"I still think I should do this alone, James," Albus says after some time, continuing an argument we have been having over the past month. I'm at least glad Albus did not go on without me, as he had threatened to do once.

"Why? You know how I was back then," I point out.

"Yes exactly, this is my burden, not yours," Albus says pointedly.

"And that is where you are wrong! This became my burden the moment I was sent back in time! Whatever might have happened between us in the past, I'm still your brother, Al. You don't have to do this alone!" I shout.

"Yes I do! You don't get it, do you, James? This is my mess, and I'm going to fix it!" Albus shouts angrily.

"Your mess? Don't go and play the martyr here, Albus Severus Potter! If it is anyone's mess, it is mine; but you don't see me going all mighty and powerful that only I should go back! We are in this together, have been for the past year. You can't shut me out now! Besides, what James do you expect when you go back alone? The one who would abandon the family at the slightest bit of trouble? Or the one that will turn the house into a prison and breathe down your neck all the time?" I say angrily.

Albus looks at me long and hard and grabs the locket he has in his hands tightly. But he doesn't say anything.

"Neither James would be very helpful to you. The first would be out of your way, yes; but is it guaranteed you get that one? If I go back with you, you are guaranteed that I will help you in anyway I can! You have to understand, Al, that I'm just as deep in this as you are from the moment you told me to 'save her'," I say calmly and determined.

"You have changed over the last two years, James," Albus says after some minutes of uncomfortable silence.

"Will you accept my help then?" I ask.

"Yeah, I guess," Albus says, sighing.

Albus puts the locket on the counter top, grabs another vial and walks to the back of the kitchen where a cauldron is simmering and gets another vial of the potion inside. And then vanishes the rest of the potion with his wand.

"This will kill you in about half a hour. Then it will send you back in time," Albus says, handing the potion to me.

"To our health," I say holding the vial up while Albus does the same. We drown the potion in one gulp.

"So, do you have a plan?" I ask, sitting down against the counter.

"Get mum into St. Mungo's after the duel. We will see after that," Albus says.

"That is going to be difficult," I say, shaking my head.

"Probably yes," Albus says.

Albus and I spend the rest of our time discussing ideas and plans on what to do once we arrive back in the past, we both grow weaker and weaker as time passes, until finally Albus collapses.

Just then the door opens and Lily enters. Just before I collapse I see Lily picking up the locket Albus has left on the kitchen counter.

"The two of you made this way to easy for me," Lily says. And then I know no more.

Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear