Search:

SIYE Time:4:39 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Love Enough for Both
By Manwe Valarian

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: General
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 356
Summary: Harry heard a goblin speaking and he came out of temporary stupor. He was surrounded by witches and wizards all staring at him. The most shocking thing was he had his arms around someone. Who was she and how did they get here?
Hitcount: Story Total: 215240; Chapter Total: 5878
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
WE get a look at what life is like for Ministry employees. In particular Arthur Weasley and anyone opposed to pureblood ideals.
Big thank you for seekers destiny for catching all my mistakes with this chapter.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Were the Wards Ministry compliant?” asked the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge.

Arthur Weasley was sitting in the chair in front of the entire Wizengamot. He thought this would be a simple trial. Six wizards Apparated onto his property and tried to kill his friends who came to help him. Yet, he has been the only one being questioned.

Not just questioned but interrogated. Fudge had been asking him questions for nearly thirty minutes now. Did he know the attackers? Did he have any dealings with the attackers? Why would anyone want to do what the attackers did? Where is his son-in-law?

It wasn’t only he that was getting tired of this interrogation, about half of the Wizengamot were acting like nine year-olds squirming in their seats and occasionally rolling their eyes at the questions that Fudge was asking.

“Arthur Weasley, you must answer the question,” demanded the Minister of Magic. “Were the Wards Ministry compliant.”

“I do not know Cornelius,” answered Arthur.

“You will address the Minister of Magic with more respect,” said the simpering voice of Dolores Umbridge.

“Thank you Under-secretary Umbridge,” replied Fudge with an oily voice. “Answer the question!”

“I did not know that Ministry required Wards to meet any particular criteria,” Arthur answered honestly.

Under-secretary Dolores Umbridge let out a girly little laugh. Fudge seemed to puff himself up with self-importance at Umbridge’s giggle. “The Ministry must be sure that people are not using Dark Magic to create Wards,” explained Umbridge. “Our Minister signed a decree last week making it official that all Wards set up within the jurisdiction of the British Ministry of Magic must meet this criterion and also be inspected.”

“When was that decree voted on by the Wizengamot?” asked Albus Dumbledore.

“Why was I not made aware of that decree?” asked Madam Amelia Bones, Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

“The Minister is busy man,” said Umbridge as though that was all the explanation that was necessary.

“The Minister must be a very forgetful man to forget that any decree isn’t official until voted on by the Wizengamot,” stated Albus forcefully.

“Now Dumbledore, I was going to present it at the next meeting,” said Fudge as though the procedures were an annoyance to him.

“You will address me properly. I am the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, Albus Percival Brian Wulfric Dumbledore.”

“As the Head of Magical Law Enforcement, that Decree will not be presented to the Wizengamot until I have had a chance to read it,” stated Amelia Bones.

“Yes, yes, the proper procedures will be followed. Let’s get back to the trial. Arthur Weasley, why exactly did you think you needed a Ward to protect your family. Certainly with our esteemed colleague Madam Bones in charge of Magical Law Enforcement, we should all be able to feel safe in our homes.”

Arthur took a deep breath. If he wasn’t such a patient man, he would be going to Azkaban for murdering the Minister of Magic in front of the entire Wizengamot.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur walked back through the Auror Department to his little office. He just spent four hours in the Wizengamot trial. Almost the entire time he was on the stand answering useless questions from the Ministry’s useless leader. He used to feel safe going to work and living in his home. Now he wasn’t so sure. It seemed that Fudge was putting him on trial, instead of the six future Death Eaters.

It was an open and shut case. Hit-wizards had done a Prior Incantato on the wizards’ wands and they all had cast a Killing Curse, which was a life sentence in Azkaban. Fudge seemed to believe that he had provoked the six to try to kill him.

It just didn’t make any sense. Unless the rumors he had been hearing were all true. Fudge was just the puppet of the Death Eaters. He wanted only one thing and that was to remain as the Minister of Magic.

Stepping into his little office, he smiled at the sleeping Perkins leaning against a wall while sitting in a chair. His wrinkled face stretched against the wall with his white hair sticking out in all directions. He can’t remember how many times he found him in that exact spot.

“Good Morning, Perkins,” said Arthur brightly as he walked past Perkins and sat behind his desk. “How did everything go last week?”

“Wotcher, Arthur,” said Perkins in a very feminine voice.

Arthur looked at his sleeping friend and saw a flash of pink form on the hair nearest the wall. Arthur stood there gobsmacked for several seconds before closing the door with his wand.

“Tonks? What are you doing here?”

“I am your guard,” she said while yawning and stretching. “At least for this week.”

“Are you taking off work?”

“No, I am working the graveyard shift. I figure I could take Perkins’ place. After all, he mostly sleeps all the day,” she said with a wink.

Arthur laughed at her comment. Perkins did spend most of his time asleep. “You are going to be a great bodyguard if you sleep all day.”

“Hey, I am a light sleeper, and I also wake up very angry. Any git who tries to mess with you had better watch out,” she stretched and looked at her watch. “Blimey, is it after noon?”

“Yes, the trial went on forever,” he said miserably.

“Why? We had their wands with a Killing Curse as their last spell.”

“Albus stepped aside, since he was at the scene, and let Fudge lead the Wizengamot. That man tried to get me to say that it was my fault they attacked us because we created the Ward in the first place. He tried to get their sentences reduced.”

Tonks transformed back to her normal self. “That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Were they finally convicted?”

“Yes, they should be leaving for Azkaban by Portkey as we speak,” Arthur said as he looked at his watch.

There was a knocking at his door. He looked at Tonks and she transformed to look like Perkins. He hoped that Perkins didn’t come into work this week. He had agreed to take vacation this week, so he doubted it was him. Flicking his wand, the door creaked open. A blue memo flew into his office and landed on his desk. He looked at it without opening it. He didn’t know why. It was just a memo. However, after the treatment he received from Fudge, he was sure he couldn’t trust anything related to the Ministry.

“What is that Arty?” asked Tonks, but she sounded just like Perkins.

“It’s just a memo, but…,” replied Arthur.

“Well Arty, you should open it. Be careful, but open it.”

Arthur cautiously prodded it with his wand and the memo opened just like it was supposed to do. He glanced up at Tonks, before reaching for the memo.

Arthur,
Please meet me at the Three Broomsticks for lunch. Madam Rosmerta will be looking for you.
Madam Bones
Please destroy this after reading it.


The memo disappeared in a flash of flame and ash.

“I have been asked to go to lunch.”

“Anyone we can trust?” asked Tonks in Perkins reedy voice.

“If you accompany me, we can talk about it.”

Arthur stood up and walked slowly through the Ministry to the Atrium. He offered his arm to Perkins at the Apparition area. They appeared on High Street in Hogsmeade. He was amazed that Tonks didn’t revert back to her old appearance during Apparition. She made only one mistake.

“Perkins almost always stumbles when we Apparate,” he whispered to Tonks.

“I’ll work on that,” softly laughed Tonks. “Who are you meeting?”

“Madam Bones.”

“Have you ever met her for lunch before?”

“I have barely spoken to her in all my years at the Ministry. The fact that she wanted me to burn the memo probably leads me to believe she doesn’t want to be seen with me. While I am meeting with Madam Bones, you always have the corned beef sandwich and tea at the Three Broomsticks.”

“Hmm, sounds delicious. I’ll have to rethink this surveillance business,” muttered Tonks.

“I’ll see you later Perkins. You take care,” Arthur said, as they entered the Three Broomsticks. He looked across the pub and saw the owner talking with several of the patrons. She looked up and smiled at Arthur. With a gentle twitch of her head, she directed his line of sight to a door near the back of the pub.

Arthur walked across the pub trying not to look at anyone directly. With his height and red hair, it would be difficult to blend in with the other patrons. Luckily no one seemed to notice him, and he didn’t recognize anyone at the tables. The place was only a quarter filled with patrons. He reached the door Madam Rosmerta had indicated. He looked back at her across the pub. She nodded once more.

He opened the door and found a staircase behind it. He ascended the steps and found another door. Knocking, he waited for someone to answer. He knocked a second time. When the door opened, it was Madam Rosmerta.

“Hello Arthur, don’t look so surprised,” she said jovially. “This room has two entrances. I came up the other one.”

“I asked her to do that Arthur,” said Madam Bones. “I wanted this meeting to be secret.”

Arthur looked across the small cluttered room and saw Madam Bones sitting with Albus Dumbledore at a small scrubbed table. He was taken aback by the Headmaster’s presence for a moment. He quickly realized what this might be about, but he wanted to be sure.

“To what do I owe this pleasure?” asked Arthur.

Albus smiled at him. “I think you know. Please sit down and have some soup and tea.”

“If you want anything else, just ring the bell,” the Matron said indicating a pull cord on the wall. She left down the back set of steps.

“I have been talking to Albus about the lack of proper leadership at the Ministry,” stated Madam Bones. Her tone was matter-of-fact.

“Do you think he actually feels he is doing the magical community a service by his leadership?” asked Arthur. He ladled a bowl of soup from the tureen. It was more of a beef stew than an actual soup.

“I think he believes it,” stated Albus.

“Not to mention that toad, Umbridge,” said Madam Bones with scorn.

Arthur had to hold a spoonful of soup away from his mouth as he tried not to laugh too loud at Amelia’s comment about Umbridge. He took a bite of the soup and thought about what to say to them. He felt he was in over his head with the present company. He was only a minor player in the Ministry. They were two of the three most important people in Magical Britain.

“Arthur, Albus said there was a reason why you had such strong wards around your house,” said Amelia Bones.

He stared at her trying to read her intentions from her face. He had never seen her close before. She was a strong jawed woman, but she was still feminine in appearance. He saw a different look in her eyes. It looked like fear and concern. With her reddish-brown hair, she reminded him of Molly. He looked at Albus. He wasn’t sure what to say.

“Tell her the truth Arthur, or would you prefer if I did?” Albus asked him.

“No, I’ll tell her.” He took a breath to organize his thoughts. “There was a ceremony at my home for my daughter and Harry Potter. They were officially married when they formed the soul bond two years ago. They wanted to have an actual ceremony with family and friends of the family present. I had made arrangements for a Ministry Official to preside over it. We were attacked by a group of Death Eaters. They were stopped before they could hurt anyone, and they fled.

“I went with my son-in-law on vacation for a week and when we returned, we have six other Slytherins Apparate onto my property. When Albus and several friends come to help, they all tried to kill Albus and our friends. They were Stunned and captured in the fight.”

Amelia looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Albus smiled at him, as if he was a student who hadn’t completely answered a question at Hogwarts.

“Is that all?” She asked him.

“There could possibly be more, but to be honest I don’t know why you are so interested in what happened at my house,” he said plainly and stared her in the eye.

“In the last war, my brother and his entire family were killed by Death Eaters. The only members of the Bones family left are me, my sister-in-law, and my niece. If Death Eaters are getting organized again to strike out at magical society, then regardless of whether you-know-who has returned or not, I need to know.”

Arthur felt ashamed of being so short with Amelia. He remembered her taking the death of family members hard and needing over a week off work because of it.

“Of the initial group of Death Eaters that attacked us a week ago, Judson, Savage, and Lucius Malfoy were among them,” stated Arthur.

Judson and Savage were among the Death Eaters; an Auror and an expert on Wards who both work for the Ministry. Amelia Bones looked at Arthur for several seconds. “I shouldn’t be surprised. Lucius has always had been able to escape blame relating to various events of other Death Eaters. Judson and Savage were never caught and brought in for questioning, but that doesn’t make them more or less guilty of what they had done.

“I am going to assign an Auror to watch you over the next two weeks,” stated Madam Bones.

“There is already an Order of Phoenix member watching him,” stated Albus Dumbledore.

“Who might that be, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Nymphadora Tonks.”

“The clumsy Auror?” asked a shocked Madam Bones. She seemed to realize what she said in front of Arthur and tried to reassure him. “She is competent and all,” she added.

“She will provide adequate protection for Arthur and Harry,” stated Albus Dumbledore.

“Why would you include Harry?” Arthur asked Dumbledore.

“He is critical in all of this.”

“Harry doesn’t need any extra protection. He has Bill, Remus and Sirius to protect him along with my daughter. Don’t forget, he is quite formidable himself, and if he wanted to disappear, we would never find him again.”

“Is that so,” said Dumbledore as he leaned back and stared into Arthur’s eyes.

Arthur quickly turned away. He didn’t trust staring at the Headmaster. He had been warned that Dumbledore could perform Leglimency.

“What about your family?” asked Madam Bones.

“What about my family?” replied Arthur. It didn’t sound like a threat, but he couldn’t be sure.

“If Harry and Ginny disappear, who will protect your family?”

Arthur looked at Madam Bones. He couldn’t figure out why she would be asking such a thing. “We would be protected too.”

“By Potter and the Order,” pressed Madam Bones.

“By Harry and his family’s protections.”

“Would your entire family be protected?”

Arthur had stopped eating, but he was quite uncomfortable at the line of questioning. “Why do you want to know?” he questioned her suspiciously.

Madam Bones, one of the most powerful women in magical Britain, started to tear up. She looked at Arthur and her strong and proud jaw started to quiver.

“I am probably one of the top five or ten targets, if the Death Eaters try to overthrow the Ministry. There is also a good possibility that my sister-in-law won’t survive the next attempted coup. I would like to ask if you could look after my niece Susan if neither one of us are around. She is a good girl, and deserves a chance to grow up.

“I realize this must come as a shock to you, as we only know each other on a professional level. I have found you to be a person of the highest character and dedication. It is obvious that you love children. You also are fighting on the right side of this war.

“Please, Arthur talk this over with Molly, and let me know what your decision is. If you do not want to be burdened with another mouth to feed, I will understand.”

Arthur didn’t say anything for several seconds. He couldn’t believe the request he just heard. He never figured someone as influential as the Bones would want to be bothered by someone like him. He may have even thought it was a gesture conceived out of a lack of respect for him, by suggesting his family would be useful as baby sitters. The tears in Madam Bones eyes and pleading of her voice convinced him otherwise.

“We will take your niece in if you want, and don’t worry about another mouth to feed. We will just make Ron eat like a normal human being and there will be plenty for everyone.”

Madam Bones let out a chuckle at his comment about Ron.

“Is he a young teenager?” asked Madam Bones.

Arthur started to reply, but the pounding of feet coming up the back steps made him stop talking. Madam Rosmerta appeared at the top of the steps.

“Madam Bones, there is someone here to see you,” she said between heavy breaths.

“I thought I said I didn’t want to be disturbed,” growled the Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

“It’s Baxter, he said it is most imperative that he speaks with you. He wants to come up here.”

“No! I will be down. Go and tell him, now,” she ordered the Matron.

Madam Bones stood up. She started to put on an appearance of a person in charge. The fragile women who was concerned for her niece’s safety was now gone. The Head of Magical Law Enforcement was now standing in front of Arthur.

“Please, keep this conversation to just your family; the fewer people, who realize that Susan may be living with you, the better.”

“I will tell Molly and the family, but Amelia, don’t give up hope yet. You may be able to get through this upcoming war and not have to worry about subjecting your niece to my twins.”

“I just want to ensure my loved ones are cared for,” she said before turning and marching down the stairs.

Arthur finished his beef stew and laid the spoon down. “Did you know she was going to ask that of my family?”

“No, I didn’t,” replied Albus. “I think she made a very wise choice.”

The sound of footsteps running up the backstairs preceded Madam Bones’ face appearing above the top step. It almost appeared that her head was sitting on the floor without a body.

“They escaped. The ones that attacked your home, Arthur, have escaped. The Portkey took them to a field in Scotland where someone was waiting. Their wands are gone from the Ministry.”

“Was it an accident they were transported to another location?” asked Albus.

“No it can’t be. The person making the Portkey must pass a rigorous test. I must get back to the Ministry and do some damage control.”

Arthur watched her leave. “Do you think the person making the Portkey was a Death Eater?” he asked Albus.

“No, it wouldn’t make any sense. He was going to get questioned no matter what the circumstances. He would be the first person everyone would suspect.”

“Hmm, I wonder who is behind this,” Arthur asked a rhetorical question.

“Does it really matter?” sighed Albus. He looked very old at this moment. “It appears our greatest fears are true, the Ministry is compromised.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Gabriel Brandenburg sat in a cold cell in the bottom of the Ministry. His life was virtually over, and he doesn’t know how it happened. All he knew was he had just been sentenced to spend the rest of his life in Azkaban for allowing six people convicted of using Unforgivable Curses to escape.

Ever since hearing about the Portkey landing the six in a field in Scotland rather than Azkaban’s receiving area, he had been trying to remember how it happened. He couldn’t remember actually programming the Portkey, when he made it.

Auror Savage had entered his office with an official order for an Azkaban Portkey for six people. He turned and grabbed a bicycle tire. That was the last thing he remembered until he handed Savage the active Portkey and signed Portkey order.

He pleaded with Minister Fudge that something must have happened since he can’t actually remember making the Portkey. The Minister made him drink Veritaserum. He was questioned about the incident, but the only thing they asked if he made the bicycle tire Portkey that the prisoners used. When he answered yes, the questioning was done. He was convicted to spend the rest of his life in Azkaban.

They even contemplated having him kissed by a Dementor. That decision still hadn’t been made.

How could his life end up like this? What would he ever say to his wife, Constance, and six year old daughter, Ashley? He would not even get a chance to say goodbye to them. In another hour, he would be getting a Portkey to Azkaban, where there would be no escape.

It was now six o’clock in the evening. When he left his home this morning, he had planned on being home thirty minutes ago. He should be sitting down to his dinner and telling Ashley to sit still and be patient until her Mummy gets dinner on the table. Instead he was sitting in this cell facing the living hell of Azkaban.

There was a clatter of steel moving against steel as Aurors opened the metal door to gain access to the cells. Several Aurors shuffled through the door. Savage was leading the group.

“Time to go and pay for your deeds, you scum,” Savage taunted him.

“I didn’t do anything wrong,” he pleaded.

With a flick of his wand Savage tossed him against the stone wall. “Shut your mouth,” Savage yelled. He started to laugh. “Yeah that would be bloody good advice for you.”

“Get in there and check him before sending him off to his fate,” Savage ordered two Aurors who accompanied him. The one was a heavy set man, that he seemed to remember was called Proudfoot. The other was a woman, he couldn’t remember her name. She was short squat and had a hard look on her round face.

She held the Portkey while Proudfoot clamped manacles and shackles on him. He stepped back and took the Portkey, a thick porcelain tea cup, from the short woman. He placed in Gabriel’s hands. Stepping back Proudfoot touched his wand to the Portkey activating it. Just before the world starting spinning he could swear that Proudfoot winked at him.

The intense spinning was making him sick. It had always been ironic that he was one of the best at making Portkeys but he also almost always got sick when traveling by them. He slammed onto the stone floor of a room. The surroundings were dark and grey. There was the feeling of desperation and cold that seemed to overwhelm and take control of his senses. He could feel strong hands grab his arms and lift him up off the floor.

“Stand him up so he can be kissed,” a nasty nasal voice ordered the hands that held him.

They roughly stood him up and tried to release their grip from his arms, but he just collapsed onto the floor again. It seemed that his body had no strength left in it. They grabbed him again and held him up.

“Pull his head back,” ordered nasty nasal voice.

A hand grabbed his hair and pulled so he was staring straight forward. A Dementor floated in front of him. Beside it stood a hawkish looking man with a huge beak of a nose. He stepped forward and grabbed the Portkey out of his hands.

Gabriel felt a pull behind his navel, and the world started to spin again with the two guards still holding onto him. He could hear them shouting. It was obvious even in his present state of mind that this wasn’t planned.

They landed with a thud on a grassy field. There was a flash of spell fire and the hands that held him were gone. He couldn’t look up. He was too afraid of what might be waiting for him. He was confused as to what this last Portkey was.

“Mr. Brandenburg, you need to stand up so we can get out of here,” said a familiar kind voice.

Lifting his head he saw the Headmaster of Hogwarts standing over him. He couldn’t understand what he was doing here.

“Headmaster, what — what is happening?”

“We are doing what is right, not what is easy,” said the Headmaster.

Gabriel stared at him confused.

“Can you stand up? We must Apparate away, before the Aurors arrive.”

The Headmaster offered Gabriel his hand. Grabbing the Headmaster’s hand Gabriel was able to stand up. He was in some random field, and the two guards were unconscious on the ground.

“Hold on tight,” said the Headmaster.

The feeling of being squeezed though a keyhole gripped him; the next thing he saw was an old beaten up wood door with peeling paint and a snake for a knocker. The Headmaster kept a hold on him and opened the door to a beaten up and dirty entrance hall.

Gabriel tried to walk into the house, but the shackles made walking nearly impossible.

“Let me rid you of those.” The Headmaster tapped the manacles and shackles. They fell off his wrists and ankles with a loud clatter on the floor. “We need to talk. I am sure you have many questions and so do I.”

The Headmaster grabbed his elbow and moved towards and an archway in the entrance hall. When Gabriel stepped around the corner, he heard the squeal of his daughter Ashley. She had been kneeling on the floor petting a large black dog. She jumped up, ran to him, and wrapped her arms around his legs.

“Daddy, where have you been? Can I keep the doggie?” she asked excited.

Gabriel ignored her. He looked over at his wife sitting on the large couch by the fireplace. There were unshed tears in her grey eyes. Her face was drawn with deep creases in her forehead. He saw she was wringing her hands in her lap. It was a sign that she was nervous, scared, or possible both.

“Please, have a seat,” said the Headmaster indicating a space beside his wife.

Gabriel moved slowly over and sat beside Constance. She looked so scared that he put an arm around her shoulder. He could feel her shaking from fear or was it him that was shaking? Ashley didn’t join them. She sat down beside the black dog and started petting it.

“I know you have many questions, but I need a few answers before I can answer all of them,” said the Headmaster. “First, I know you made the Portkey, but I also believe that you were probably Imperioused and then Obliviated by the Auror Savage. Do remember the interrogation with Fudge?”

“I just remember him asking me to answer a few questions.”

“You were under the influence of Veritaserum, so I believe you would not be able to remember very much. Madam Bones was able to extract a memory from you. We looked at it and noticed a gap in it. This can only happen when someone is Obliviated. The gap was from when you reached for the tire until after you made the Potkey. The only other person in your office was Savage. Even if there was someone else, he should have reported it.

“I am not guilty, then. I can go free,” He said excitedly.

“I wish it was that easy. Fudge, the Minister, needs you to be guilty. It is easier to explain that a person in the magical transportation department is corrupt rather than explaining that an Auror is.”

“But he Imperioused me,” pleaded Gabriel.

“Yes, I believe so, but can you prove it,” said the Headmaster.

Gabriel realized that was the truth. He couldn’t prove that he actually was Imperioused unless Savage confessed to doing it. “I’ll never be able to show myself in Britain or Europe again without being arrested.”

The realization of his fate overwhelmed him. He was now a fugitive from the law. He could never go out without fearing he could be arrested. He didn’t want to spend the rest of his life running from the law. He couldn’t ask Constance and Ashley to run with him. His wife must have sensed his distress and gently took his hand. It was good to feel her hand again. The only bright spot he found was he hadn’t been kissed by a Dementor.

“I have a proposition for you and your family,” said the Headmaster. “I believe that Cornelius Fudge is taking advice from Death Eaters. He may not be one, or even believe that he is aiding them in implementing their agenda, but everything he does seems to support them and work against people who would oppose them. When Voldemort comes back into power, I believe he will have complete control of the Ministry.”

Gabriel felt Constance stiffen at the mention of the Dark Lord’s name.

“I thought he was dead. Harry Potter killed him,” Gabriel said.

“Harry stopped him before, but alas he isn’t dead only weakened. I have reliable sources that believe he is back in Britain and regaining power.”

“No!” Constance almost shouted, “Does that mean he will attack half-bloods and Mudbloods?” she asked. Her eyes were wide with fear. She was a Muggle born, which made Ashley a Half-blood.

“I am afraid he will continue with his old prejudices,” said the Headmaster. He stopped talking and stared at Constance for several seconds. “Constance Williams, is that your maiden name?”

“Yes, Headmaster, Hufflepuff graduated in 1985,” replied Constance. “I am a Mudblood.”

The Headmaster frowned at her. “Please don’t use that term in my presence. You were born to Muggle parents, but that doesn’t make you any less worthy of being a member of our society.”

Gabriel realized that even if he hadn’t been wrongly convicted of setting prisoners free, he would still have to leave Britain to protect his wife.

“We have no choice but to leave Britain,” he sadly told his wife.

“Where will we go, dear?” She asked him. She was pale as tears leaked from her eyes.

“If you want to leave, North America would be your best place,” stated the Headmaster. “Or, you could help us fight against Voldemort and the Death Eaters.”

Gabriel couldn’t help himself. The thought of him battling someone like Lord Voldemort or Bellatrix Lestrange was so ridiculous that he laughed aloud. “I am no great dueler.”

“You don’t have to be,” replied the Headmaster. “I understand that you are the best in the Ministry at making Portkeys.”

“Yes, I am,” he stated without boasting. He had been regarded as such for several years.

“Having Portkeys available to transport injured or trapped people would be helpful,” The Headmaster said quietly. He turned his attention to Constance. “I remember that you wanted to be a healer.”

“Yes, I did,” she replied gobsmacked that someone as important as Albus Dumbledore would remember her. “I was in my second year of training when we found out about Ashley. I was thinking about going back and completing the training now that Ashley is older.”

Gabriel could feel her disappointment, so he put an arm around her shoulders.

“We could use the two of you and also your child can stay with us. You will be safe, but you will not be able to freely roam around Britain. This house you are in is protected by a Fidelius Charm. If you leave, you will never be able to find it. We have other homes that are just as well protected. Eventually we will be able to have access to these homes.

“Unfortunately, you must stay here at the present time. The house needs a great deal of cleaning, but we have a large and energetic family coming over to take care of those things. We will gladly allow you to stay here, but we will expect you to pitch in and help clean the house up.

“I do not expect your answer right this minute, but I will need to know tonight.” The Headmaster stood up and looked around the room. “I am rather hungry. Would you like for me to send up some food for you?”

“Yes, please,” said Constance. “Headmaster, would we ever need to fight?”

“If things get bad, you may be faced with that dilemma. You will need to make your decision then. Remember, that there is more to any army than just the fighters.”

Gabriel hugged his wife as he watched the Headmaster walk out of the room. He stopped by the archway and stared at the large dog that was curled up on the floor with Ashley draped over top of his back. The dog seemed to know that the Headmaster was leaving. The great big black dog slowly stood up and allowed Ashley who was half asleep to slide off his back. It calmly padded it way out of the room and after the Headmaster.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore had started up the stairs to the dining/communication room when Sirius changed from a dog to his human form. They walked for several feet before speaking.

“If he wasn’t the best at making Portkeys would you still have saved them?” asked Sirius.

“Yes, we will have use for all types of people before long. You realize Sirius that we may not be able to keep everyone unjustly sentenced to Azkaban out of that horrid place. Once Voldemort returns the Ministry will quickly fall, and then we may be powerless to save any innocent person from going there.”

Sirius grunted at his statement. “Thank you for saving him and his family,” Sirius said respectfully to him.

“You’re welcome,” he replied with a smile. “I have a question for your group. I need a Professor for Defense classes. Would you or Remus be interested in teaching it? There are some things that I need to communicate with your group and it would be best if you were all at Hogwarts. Talk it over with them. I need your answer very soon. The Hogwarts letters have already been sent out. I don’t want the board of Governors to pick someone. They might give me some Ministry crony.”

“I’ll talk it over with them. Will we be able to leave and return to the school to work on our mission?” asked Sirius

“I was hoping to join you on a few of these missions. So yes, that was part of my plan.” He stared at Sirius to try to determine if he liked the idea. He knew not to use Leglimency, because they all seemed to suspect him of violating their thoughts. “Shall we see the newest members of the Order of the Phoenix?

They walked into the communication room. Francis Proudfoot and Madam Bones were both there.

“Thank you Francis for helping that young man escape a terrible fate,” he said to the large Auror.

“Once I found out that he had been processed so quickly and scheduled to be kissed, I knew he had been set up. Besides, I never liked that pure blood fanatic Savage. Are you sure I can’t go back to the Department? I could find out more information for you.”

“No, Francis that won’t be necessary,” replied Madam Bones. “We have another source for information, and Savage will be able to figure out you had helped them escape. What you did was very brave.”

The old Auror blushed at her comment. He bowed slightly. “Thank you Madam Bones.”
Reviews 356
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear