Search:

SIYE Time:7:06 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


All Bad Things Must Come to an End
By MrsAlphardBlack

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 9
Summary: This is the story of the first good Halloween of Harry's life. Sure, Harry has enjoyed some uneventful Halloweens, but they haven't been enough to balance out the horrors which have plagued him on this day. Thankfully, Halloween will never be the same after today.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3437



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I've long thought that Harry deserved something good to happen on some Halloween Day, and my answer has always been the following. Just had to write it. Tis the season, and I was finally in the right mood. Hope you enjoy!




ChapterPrinter


Harry woke up early, but kept his eyes shut and willed himself to go back to sleep. He did not want to greet the day. He'd much rather hide under the covers and wake on the first of November. After a few unproductive minutes, he gave up the cause as lost. He focused on an internal pep talk instead, “All right, Harry. You've already lost your parents, survived the inaugural season of Harry hunting, faced a troll, thought you were going mad, been hunted by a madman, been thrown into a life-or-death struggle, been on the run from Voldemort, found yourself betrayed by a team member, nearly lost the Elder Wand, and almost died on the job, so what's the worst that can happen?” He opened his eyes and was met with the sight of his nearly nine months' pregnant wife. He paused, no longer liking his odds of a decent day, given what he knew of Ginny in late pregnancy from two previous births. At least James and Albus wouldn't be under foot today; they were spending the day at the Burrow with the rest of Molly and Arthur's grandchildren, under the guise of bonding time with the grandparents. Harry was eternally grateful to the couple for understanding his need to grieve and his hesitance in subjecting his children to his moodiness.

“Right, time to get out of bed and face the day,” Harry told himself. Not wishing to anger a possibly moody wife, he refrained from kissing Ginny's forehead, and instead slipped quietly out of bed and downstairs to the kitchen, where he found Kreacher preparing a tea tray.

“Mmm, just what I need. Think I'll have a cup before I start on breakfast. Kreacher, you don't mind if I make breakfast this morning, do you? I need to clear my head a bit.”

Kreacher, long used to the eccentricities of his master and well aware of the date, responded, “Of course not, Master Harry. Is there anything you will be needing? Or perhaps Kreacher should clean the Young Masters' room while they are away?”

“No, I won't need anything. That sounds good, Kreacher. And, thank you.”

Brow furrowed, Kreacher stared at his master for a moment, then turned and walked out of the room without offering his condolences. He didn't think that Master Harry would like the extra reminder on this sad day.

Harry stood for a minute, sipping his tea, then gave in to the need to busy himself. He rooted in the icebox for eggs, sausages and mushrooms, then grabbed a tomato from the windowsill. When he was done frying up breakfast, he poured some juice and settled silverware and full plates and glasses on one tray. On a second, he put a fresh pot of tea and all necessary trappings, then he levitated the two trays ahead of him up to the room he shared with Ginny. He hoped that breakfast would be a suitable peace offering for his very pregnant and potentially irritable wife.

When he pushed their bedroom door open, he was relieved to see Ginny sniffing hopefully at the air and attempting to prop herself up. Harry hurried to set the trays down and gave his wife a hand. She smiled up at him, “Thanks, dear. Smells heavenly. Are you going to climb back in for breakfast in bed?”

“That was the plan, if you're up for it.”

“Of course. Wouldn't have mentioned it, otherwise.”

Harry wisely chose not to respond that she had, in fact, seemingly suggested activities in which she had no intention of participating, only to blow up at him for forcing them upon her. On pregnancy number three, though, he was finally learning from past mistakes, even if he didn't think that he was particularly to blame. He halted this line of thinking, quickly shook his head, and slid into bed beside Ginny. After rearranging the trays, they ate in amicable silence.

When Harry was preparing to put his last bite of mushroom into his mouth, Ginny suddenly asked, “Did you remember to get a Portkey to Godric's Hollow for today?”

Harry looked down at the mushroom then up at his wife, then put the fork squarely down on his plate. “Yes and no. I requested it, but I still have to pick it up. I need to go into the office for a few hours, but I should be home by two.” He hesitated before asking, “Do you think you'll still want to go with me this afternoon?”

Ginny reached over and caressed his cheek, “Of course I do. I love that you visit them every year, and I'll always go with you if you want me there. Maybe soon we can start bringing the kids?”

Harry looked at her for a moment, then nodded. “I just like sharing the stories about my parents on happier days. Maybe next year ... maybe I'll be ready.”

“Next year you'll at least try, right?”

Harry turned and kissed the inside of the hand still cupping his cheek. “Yes, dear.” He sighed, glanced down at the almost empty plates, popped the remaining mushroom in his mouth, levitated the trays, and sprang from bed. “It's time for me to get ready for work. Are you going to be okay?”

“I will if you stop jumping from the bed like that.”

He turned to see her mock-glaring at him, as she finished righting herself. “Er, sorry, dear.”

Ginny shook her head, rolled her eyes, and let out a sigh, “Boys... . I'll be fine, Harry. You should go, else we'll never get to Godric's Hollow this afternoon.”

Harry grinned, came round the bed for a quick peck on her cheek, then shot out of the room with his trays in tow.

Ginny shook her head again at her husband's antics, but she was pleased to see him doing so well this morning. Halloween was always such a rough day on Harry. Really, too many horrible things had come to pass on this day. She shivered as she remembered her own Halloween at the age of 11, when she had been responsible for the petrification of Mrs. Norris. Then, two years ago, when she had almost lost Harry. She couldn't bear the thought of life without him, and thankfully he was willing to put a halt to much of his fieldwork and take on more paperwork. It had worked out well, since he quickly moved up the ranks in the Auror office, until he had reached his current post of Deputy Head. Apparently her brother wasn't as interested in field work without his best friend at his side, as Ron quickly followed him in his quest for more mundane tasks. Really, Ron's strengths had always lain in strategy anyway, so the move served both of them well.

Ginny's train of thought was abruptly derailed by a huge kick from her womb, which came dangerously close to her full bladder. It was time to get up and prevent any unnecessary torture.

----

Harry signed his missive to the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures , folded it into a paper aeroplane, and sighed. He pulled off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose, wishing he could forget about the nightmare that was the enlarged salamander currently taking up residence in an Auror safe house under the surface of Derwent Water. He thought that the solution was brilliant, giving the salamander's fire fuel and oxygen without giving it room to spread, but it was also temporary. Complications had come into play when it became necessary to warn all Aurors not to use that particular safe house. Harry sighed again and flicked his wand at his message, which he heard zooming toward the door on its way to Level four. Not a second later, he heard someone shout, "Oi! Watch where you shoot those things."

Knowing that voice well, Harry opened his eyes, grabbed his glasses, and smiled at his best friend. "Sorry, Ron. Long day."

"No worries, mate. Just giving you a hard time." He paused and cleared his throat. "Er, weren't you supposed to be out of here by now?"

Harry glanced at the clock, "Yeah, just finishing up. Didn't want to get called back in later." He stood and opened his desk drawer, scooping out two Portkeys, then went round the desk to retrieve his cloak from the back of the door. "Right, well, if you don't have anything, I should get going before Ginny starts worrying."

Harry looked at his friend, but Ron shook his head. "No, just wanted to stop by and see how you were. Also, Hermione wanted you to have this for your parents." At this, he removed a small wreath from one of his pockets and enlarged it.

Harry chuckled. "She always was better at those."

"What isn't she better at?"

Harry shrugged. "Anyway, tell her thanks for me, yeah?"

"Sure, mate. You going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine. Just need to get home and grab Ginny. See you tomorrow." With that, he waved and turned to the door.

----

When Harry stumbled out of the fireplace, Ginny was sitting on the couch.

She smiled at him. "Hi, love. I'm glad you're back. I was starting to worry."

He came over and bent to kiss her forehead. "Nothing to worry about. Just some wanker going to extremes in preparation for Bonfire Night. I'll tell you about it later." He paused and cleared his throat, "Anyway, are you ready to go?"

She grinned up at him. "I am. Come dear husband, give me a hand and let us away."

"You've been reading poetry again, haven't you?"

Without missing a beat, Ginny quipped, "What you have spoke, it may be so perchance."

Harry shook his head and leaned so as to leverage his wife out of her seat. When she was standing in front of him, eyes sparkling, he took a moment to bring his forehead to hers and whisper, "I do love you so, mad poetry and all." Then he reached into his pocket and withdrew the first of the Portkeys. Straightening up, he moved to her side, placing his wand arm around her waist. As she nestled into his side, he held out his left hand, palm up, to reveal a small medallion. As she linked her fingers with his over the coin, he activated the Portkey, whisking them away in a blur of colour.

Before their feet hit the ground, Harry braced himself for impact, so as to support both himself and Ginny. When they were stationary again, they looked around to find themselves in a stand of trees to the south of the town. Thankfully, this put them only a short way from the cemetery. Harry offered Ginny his hand, and they set off for the church.

When they came to the kissing gate, Harry waited as Ginny navigated her way through, then he joined her and reclaimed her hand as he led her on the familiar trek to his parents' tomb. A few rows away from his parents, Harry paused and withdrew his wand. Ginny looked questioningly at him until he removed his hand from hers, waved his wand, and deftly caught the pair of tulips he had conjured. He then bent to place them on the tomb of Kendra and Ariana Dumbledore. Ginny smiled and removed her own wand to place a minor preservation charm on the flowers. "That's better."

"Mm. Thanks." Harry bent to kiss Ginny's cheek. He straightened and looked down to find her taking his hand. "Right, well, onward?"

In answer, she took a step and pulled on his arm. With one long stride, he caught up to her and they walked in silence the few remaining paces to the final resting place of James and Lily Potter. Knowing her husband's routine, Ginny quickly performed a cushioning charm on the ground before he let go of her hand and dropped to his knees. From there, he reached up with both hands and sought the hand which she had placed on his shoulder.

"Mum, Dad," Harry began, "it's Halloween again. I can't believe another year has gone by. I wish you were here to see how much has changed." Harry paused to sniff and wipe a tear from his cheek. "Hermione sent another wreath." He reached into his cloak pocket and re-enlarged the gift. "I also wanted to give you these." He waved his wand, and a cluster of forget-me-nots sprung forth. He grabbed at them and tied the bouquet with a ribbon before placing it next to the wreath. Meanwhile, Ginny added a single lily to the mix.

Harry sat back on his heels and took his wife's hand again. "Ginny and I are talking about bringing the kids next year. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I promise to try. I've told the boys so many stories about you, and they love you. James especially lights up when I tell him about your pranks, Dad. He's going to be a handful."

Harry ran a hand through his hair. "This year has been ... crazy. Ginny's been writing for an international outfit. I'm so proud of her!"

"Don't forget your promotion. Your son is now the Deputy Head of the Auror Department."

"Yes, but, most important of all, Ginny and I are having another baby, this time a little girl! I hope she gets Ginny's eyes, even though I think they'll do me in every time she asks for something." He chuckled, "anyway, we're expecting her really soon, within the next few weeks."

Suddenly, Ginny tensed behind him, "Um, Harry, I think we might be meeting her a little sooner than that. I hate to cut this short, James and Lily, but you're about to be grandparents again. Harry, we need to get home, now!"

After Ginny's first sentence, Harry had sprung up and turned around to see his wife grimacing and grasping her belly in apparent discomfort. When the last words had left her mouth, he quickly fired off Patronuses to Molly, Andromeda, and Audrey, telling them that it was time. He knew that they would each get to Grimmauld Place immediately, so all he had to worry about was his wife. He cast a quick Notice-Me-Not charm over the both of them, put the return Portkey into Ginny's hand, and swept her into his arms. "Ginny, I need you to put the Portkey against my skin." When she put her hand against his cheek and he felt the cold bite of the metal, he held back a wince and whispered, " Good girl. We're going to be home in just a minute, then everything will be okay. Okay?" At her nod, he activated the Portkey. He was able to call out a quick, "Bye, Mum! Bye, Dad!" before he felt the familiar tug behind his navel.

Harry and Ginny appeared before the hearth just as Molly came hurrying out of the fireplace. "Oh, good! Ginny, honey, are you sure it's time?"

Ginny, biting her lip hard, could only nod furiously in her mother's direction.

"Harry, take her to the bedroom. I've got a granddaughter to meet!"

When they reached the bedroom, Harry saw that Audrey was already bustling about, ensuring the room's readiness. She indicated the bed, and he laid his wife down, taking care not to jostle her. He brushed the hair from Ginny's forehead and petted her head, whispering encouragement. Molly entered the room, smiling and nodding at her son-in-law's ministrations. Then, she rubbed her hands together, there was work to be done. She only hoped that Arthur was okay with the grandchildren, she hated rushing out on him so.

Just then, a shout was heard from the doorway, "I'm here! Came as soon as I could, but I had to bring Teddy with me." A red-faced Andromeda bustled into the room.

Harry smiled. He had never seen Andromeda look so flustered. "Where's Teddy?"

"Downstairs, in the parlour."

"Kreacher!" When the elf popped into existence, Harry hurriedly asked him, "Kreacher, can you please go the drawing room, find Teddy, and see that he's okay. Bring him some snacks or something."

Molly piped in, "Better yet, take him to Shell Cottage, then get Bill and Fleur to help Arthur with the kids. They can take Teddy with them. Then, please come back here, in case we need anything."

"As Master wishes." A soft crack, followed by an echo downstairs a moment later, and the room was quiet once more, except for the bustle centred about the bed.

Harry remained steadfastly at Ginny's side, gripping her left hand in his left. Alternately, he ran his fingers through her hair and cast cooling charms upon her. He let the professionals do their work around him. His job was Ginny's comfort, and he aimed to do his best.

----

A few hours later, Ginny lay spent and Audrey cradled a crying bundle. Harry stared, awed at the sight of his little girl, as Audrey came round the bed to deliver the baby to its mother. Harry belatedly reached down to help Ginny lever herself up, then took the opportunity to stuff a few extra pillows behind her. When she was propped up, Ginny reached out and took the little girl from her sister-in-law's arms. Harry continued to be amazed as Ginny gave off a warm glow, gazing lovingly down at her daughter for the first time. He thought he might just be the happiest wizard on the planet. "My beautiful girls. My gorgeous, gorgeous girls."

Ginny peeled her eyes away from her child to grin up at Harry. "You really are hopeless with words, Mr. Potter."

Harry attempted indignation, but his smile gave him away. "Well, I must have done something right, Mrs. Potter."

"Yes, I suppose I did marry you, you daft man."

She reached up to caress his cheek as he reached down to grab his daughter's pinky between two fingers. He was delighted when her tiny finger curled about his forefinger.

Chuckling, Molly shooed Andromeda and Audrey out of the room. "Come, now, ladies. Why don't we fetch a spot of tea and leave the lovebirds to their happy oblivion? Audrey, what were you thinking marrying into the Weasley family, and you a midwife? Is that eight of my grandchildren now you've delivered?"

"I think so, Molly. I believe I'm becoming a bit of a legend in the profession."

Ginny and Harry continued to pay them no mind as the door clicked shut behind the three women. Ginny pulled on her husband's arm until he joined her on the bed, then they sat cooing over their little girl.

Harry leaned back and smiled at his wife beside him. As he looked at his daughter, his mind started to catch up to the events of the afternoon. Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. Try though he might to stifle it, he couldn't stop the niggling feeling. He cleared his throat, "Ginny, love, we might have to reconsider her name."

Surprised, Ginny looked up at him. "What do you mean, Harry?"

"It's just that she was born today, of all days. And, we were visiting my parents' grave when it happened. I really think that Lily fits her. Do you think that Neville and Luna would mind?"

Ginny looked back at their daughter and tested it out. "Lily." The baby gurgled at them. "Well, I guess that settles it. Luna Adelise was a beautiful name, but I think our little girl thinks she's a Lily."

"What do we use for the middle name?"

"Hmm, Lily Adelise Potter? I don't know... . Lily Luna Potter?"

A huge smile spread over Harry's face. "Please? I love it."

Ginny chuckled. "What do you say, Lily Luna? Do you like your new name?" In response, the tiny girl gurgled again.

Looking around, Ginny noticed that she and Harry were alone. "I suppose we should get everyone in to introduce our daughter. The boys will want to meet their sister, and Luna and Neville definitely have to meet their goddaughter. I hope Neville doesn't mind us not using his mother's name."

"I'll go downstairs and get your mother, then Floo everyone else, shall I? Don't worry, I'm sure that Neville will understand, circumstances being what they are. He's a good bloke." He took a step away from the bed and turned back around. "Ginny, this is the best thing that's ever happened to me on Halloween. Thank you! Lily, I'm so happy that you decided to join us early." He stepped back to kiss them both and went on his merry way out the door to deliver the wonderful news. He grinned as he remembered his worries from this morning, knowing that he'd never wake with such dismal thoughts on this day again. He'd be far too worried about his daughter's birthday parties to consider such dark possibilities. This was by far the best Halloween of his life.

----

A/N: For the record, Ginny's "quotes" come from Matthew Arnold and William Shakespeare, respectively.
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear