Search:

SIYE Time:13:33 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Memories & the Stone
By Ruth Ann

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Romance
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 82
Summary: First in the Memories Series

Harry Potter has never been normal. Ever since he can remember he has had dreams. Most of the time he can not remember them. Sometime when he's ten he starts to.


Hitcount: Story Total: 58022; Chapter Total: 2210







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Memories & the Stone


First Year Has Come to an End


June 1992


For Harry exams passed relatively quick and easy. Harry found he could remember everything he had learned this year rather easily and he wasn’t worried about his marks. Professor Flitwick made his students charm a pineapple to dance across their desks and Professor McGonagall had them transfigure a mouse into a snuffbox. Harry received the extra points for his Gryffindor House themed box.


It was the day of his final exam that Harry realized something he should have thought of earlier. Harry grabbed friends and practically dragged them down to see Hagrid so Harry could ask him some questions.


“Harry!” Hermione yelled when Harry finally dropped their hands when they arrived at Hagrid’s hut. Harry didn’t even bother responding as he knocked on Hagrid’s door.


“Hagrid, when you got Norberta,” Harry said to Hagrid when the door opened. “Do you know anything about the person who gave her to you?”


“Ello’ to you to ‘Arry.” Hagrid said, “To answer you’ question, no. The guy kept his face covered the entire time we ‘ere playin’ cards.”


Harry and his friends listened to Hagrid go on about the night he was given Norberta. He couldn’t figure out why but something about the story seemed just a bit coincidental. A stranger happened to be drinking in the same bar Hagrid struck up a conversation with him and they just so happed to have something Hagrid has always wanted and they were willing to just give it to him. It didn’t make any sense to Harry.


It finally hit Harry on his way back to the castle. Hermione tried to drag them to the library to get an early start on next year’s materials. Ron complained and Hermione gave in saying that she would just study extra hard over the summer.


“Hey guy,” Harry said on the way back to the common room. “I’m going to stop in and talk to Professor McGonagall.”


Hermione was about to open her mouth to ask why when Neville elbowed her in the side. “Sure Harry,” he said nodding his head. “We will see you in the common room when you are done.”


Harry soon knocked on his Head of Houses office door.


“Enter,” he heard McGonagall say from beyond the door.


Walking into the office Harry saw Professor McGonagall grading the years’ final exams. She looked up from the rolls of parchment and smiled at Harry. With a wave of her wand the exams rolled themselves up and disappeared into a drawer behind McGonagall’s desk.


“Mr. Potter,” She said with a fond smile. “What brings you here this afternoon?”


Harry shifted from one foot to the other. “Professor,” Harry said. “Hagrid was just telling my friends and I about how he came into possession of something he had wanted since he was just a child.”


“And what was the thing that Hagrid has?” Professor McGonagall questioned.


Harry shifted some more before answering. “It doesn’t matter really. He no longer has it. My friends and myself talked some sense into him a few weeks back.”


Professor McGonagall couldn’t keep the slight smirk that appeared on her face when she said, “you mean around the time of your detention.


Harry felt his cheeks heat up in a small blush. “well, yes anyway Hagrid had mentioned his pet and how one could calm him. I was wondering if Hagrid said that kind of stuff to a stranger if maybe he let a bit more slip, like what is beyond Fluffy?”


McGonagall looked thoughtful for a few moments before she smiled. “Well, Harry I believe that is completely possible. I do not believe that Hagrid intended any harm when he was speaking about his pet. However, it might be best to call Professor Dumbledore back to the castle and we will check on Fluffy and the object that he is guarding.


Harry could barely focus on anything the rest of the day. It was right before curfew when Percy approached Harry and told him that the Headmaster would like to see him along with a note with the password.


Now Harry stood in front of the Gargoyle that stood in front of the stairway to the Headmasters office and private quarters. Harry told the Gargoyle Red Licorice and it came to life and jumped to the side to reveal the stairway. He climbed the stairs and knocked on the door at the top.


“Come in, Mr. Potter.” The Headmasters said through the door.


Harry opened the door and on the other side was Professors McGonagall and Snape along with Headmaster Dumbledore. McGonagall gave Harry a reassuring smile as he walked into the Headmaster’s office. Snape however sneered and glared at Harry. Harry looked at Snape and soon enough felt a slight pressure on his head as if someone was pushing on it. Harry closed his eyes and held in a groan.


Dumbledore seemed to give Snape a sharp look before looking at Harry. “Harry, how are you my boy?”


Harry glanced at each the Professors before he answered. “I am all right, Professor.”


Dumbledore nodded and smiled at Harry. “Harry, I was wondering could you tell us what you all knew about what was hidden within the school’s walls?”


Harry looked away from Dumbledore, he wasn’t sure how to explain what was happening to him and how he knew the things he knew. He was about to try and explain it when he saw something. It was Dumbledore and he was speaking. “I had proven as a very young man, that power is my weakness and temptation. I was safer at Hogwarts. I think I was a good teacher.”


It was at that moment Harry decided not to tell Dumbledore because after all knowledge is power and if what he had just heard was even a bit correct it would not be such a good thing to provide Dumbledore with such powerful knowledge if he could prevent it. He decided an abridge version of this year’s events would have to do.


Harry could tell that his teachers didn’t quite believe him but he could also tell that they were not going to push him for more. Well, at least Dumbledore and McGonagall weren’t going to push him. He couldn’t say the same thing about Snape.


Snape was about to say something when Dumbledore motioned for Professor McGonagall to take Harry back to his dorm.


A few days later Harry helped the Gryffindor team take the Quidditch Cup for the Gryffindor Team. Taking the Quidditch Cup took Gryffindor into second place for the House Cup right behind Slytherin. Harry really wanted to bring McGonagall the House Cup to match the Quidditch Cup she now has in her office.


The Gryffindor’s just needed another fifty points put them a single ahead of Slytherin. Now all Harry had to do was figure out how to get those points before the End of Year Feast. He couldn’t help thinking about how much easier it would be if he were only a year older. If he were a second year he could go out of his way to some poor first year with something.


Then it hit him, he didn’t need to receive the points any Gryffindor could and he knew the perfect candidates to receive the needed points to thrust them straight into first place, Fred, and George Weasley. It was perfect because no one would expect them to do anything nice. Now he just had to convince them to do it and when they did it couldn’t be to another Gryffindor. It had to be someone from another house and not any house, Slytherin House.


It was later that day when Harry approached Fred and George with his idea and he hoped they would do it. To get the points needed the twins needed to perform some sort of an act of kindness without being prompt to do so by a teacher and a teacher needed to see it.


In the end Harry and the twins couldn’t get a first year Slytherin and the twins close enough together with a teacher besides Snape around so they didn’t get the points they had wanted. The end of the year feast was a grand affair, Harry couldn’t help but thinking the Great Hall would look better in scarlet and gold instead of the green and silver of the Slytherin House.


Thankfully, Harry didn’t have to spend much time thinking about the disappointment that was the house cup because Professor Dumbledore finally appeared in the hall.


The hall became quiet and Professor Dumbledore spoke, “Another year, has come to an end and what a year it has been. Hopefully, you find that your minds are just a bit fuller as you have the entire summer to get them nice and empty for us to fill next year. For those of you leaving us, moving on to a new stage in one’s life can be a challenging process. We wish you luck and success on all your future endeavors and would like you to know that you are always welcome to come and visit for Hogwarts will always be here if you ever need some help finding your way when you have lost.” The Seventh years all clapped their hands and nodded their heads in thanks.


“Now, I understand that the House cup still needs awarding. The point standings are as follows, in fourth place with three hundred and fifty-two points is Hufflepuff house. In third place, Ravenclaw house with four hundred and twenty-six. Gryffindor house has accumulated a total of four hundred and forty-seven which means the house cup goes to Slytherin house with four hundred and seventy-two points.” The Slytherin tale broke out in cheers while the rest of the houses politely clapped.


“Yes, congratulations to Slytherin house on all their accomplishments this year, however I do have a few extra points yet to be awarded.” Dumbledore waited a moment to let in sink in that if those some of those points were for Gryffindor they could overtake Slytherin and win. “To Mr. Harry Potter, intelligence and problem solving beyond your year I would like to award forty points.”


The Gryffindor table was silent for only a moment before it broke out into louder cheers than the Slytherin table had. Those points had just put them in first place it was a few moments later that Harry watched as Dumbledore told them they were in need of a change in decorations and magically the Great Hall went from a Slytherin theme to a Gryffindor theme. He couldn’t help smiling smugly because in his opinion he was right about the hall, it looked much better in scarlet and gold.


At the head table Harry could see Snape shaking hands with Professor McGonagall with a forced smile. It was a great end to a great year.



Harry had almost forgotten about the exam results. When they did come Harry was surprised about how well he did and when Hermione proudly showed her results to Ron, Neville, and himself he was glad that the results weren’t public knowledge because he had managed to score higher than Hermione in all but two subjects, History of Magic and Potions. Harry suspected that his potions grade was a direct result from Snape tampering with his potions. However, he had no proof he would just have to take his acceptable for what it was, a passing grade.


Soon it was time to head home and Harry was dreading every second. Ron had asked him to come and visit over the summer but Harry had told him it might be much later in the summer as Neville had invited him to stay with him, he had sent his Grandma an owl asking if it would be all right. Harry was excited about the prospect of meeting Mrs. Longbottom. He was curious as to where Neville parents were but figured something had happed to them like something had happened to his parents. Harry suspected that it was one of the reasons he bonded so well with Neville, a similar history.


The train ride back to platform nine and three quarters seemed to be quicker than ride to Hogwarts, Harry and Neville made plans for the summer. Neville and Harry had agreed to have Neville and Mrs. Longbottom meet his Aunt and Uncle at the station and inform them that Harry had been invited to spend the summer with them.


After passing through the gate from platform nine and three quarters Harry saw Ron head over to what looked like his family he remembered seeing them at the station on the way to Hogwarts. Harry smiled when the older woman pulled Ron into a crushing hug, he was almost jealous of the obvious love Ron’s mom had for her children. There was just something about the love between and mother and child something Harry could never experience beyond dreams. His family looked like a wonderful family and he would like to see them up close, perhaps he would see if Neville and he could visit later in the summer.


Neville grabbed Harry by the arm and pulled him over towards a severe looking woman wearing a hat that looked like it had a stuffed vulture on top of it and carrying a bright red handbag. She gave Neville a small stiff smile as he introduced her to Harry.


She held out a claw like hand for Harry to shake. She explained to Harry that if it was acceptable with his relatives she and Neville would call on him on the first of July and he could spend the rest of break with them if that was all right. Harry nodded his head excitedly and led her and Neville over the Dursley family.


“You must be young Harry’s family,” Mrs. Longbottom said. “I am Augusta Longbottom, Neville is my grandson. I briefly met young Harry’s father back when he was a school boy, James and my Frank were in the same year.”


Aunt Petunia let out a small shriek as Dudley hid behind his mother’s leg or tried to anyway. Vernon almost snared at Mrs. Longbottom but it either didn’t faze her or she refused to let it bother her, it was in that moment Harry decided that he liked Mrs. Longbottom no matter how she first seemed. It was a bonus that she knew even a bit about his parents.


“Neville has invited Harry to spend the summer with us and I have agreed. If it is agreeable I will come and collect Harry from your home on the first of July.” Mrs. Longbottom said looking directly at Vernon. Harry could tell Vernon was about to tell her off but before he could Mrs. Longbottom leaned in and said something to Vernon.


Harry watched as Vernon’s face lost some color and he agreed that they would be seeing her on the first.




Reviews 82
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear