Search:

SIYE Time:8:53 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Butterfly Effect
By Brennus

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Rape, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 733
Summary: Minor events can have repercussions far beyond their size and importance. When one of these minor events occurs to a ten year-old Harry Potter he finds his world turned upside-down and it starts him down a very different path than the one he expected to follow.
Hitcount: Story Total: 199431; Chapter Total: 9650
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 28 — Death and Other Comforts



He wasn’t sure what it was that he first became aware of. Maybe it was the feeling of lying on something soft and damp, or perhaps the familiar sound of the waves crashing against the shore. Either way, he was filled with an overwhelming sense of comfort. He breathed in and, yes there it was: the tang of salt air in his nostrils. He’d gotten used to that smell, waking up in his comfortable bed in Nick and Perry’s house back in Cornwall.

It was then that Harry realised something was wrong. He wasn’t in his bed at all. If he wasn’t mistaken, he was lying on the beach, judging by the damp sand pressed against his face. He lifted his head, and he saw that he was indeed on the beach near his adopted Grandparents' home.

But things were not right. He realised he could see nothing beyond a few hundred yards in any direction. The beach and sea seemed to disappear into a white hazy mist his eyes could not penetrate. The familiar rock outcrop that he and Lisa had spent so much time around was indistinct and ethereal. He had a distinct feeling of unreality about everything. Then he remembered.

He was dead.

So this was the afterlife? Or maybe it was just the first part of it? He stood and raised his hand to wipe the sand from his face, only to realise there was none. The damp sand was completely smooth and unmarked where he had lain. He also realised he was naked, yet he felt neither cold nor warm. His body was returning to the earth; clothes were not necessary.

Not knowing what to do next, Harry started to walk towards the rocks. He felt the cool sand under his toes, but his feet left no impression. As he neared the large, flat rock he always used to sit on, he remembered bringing Ginny to this place. He suddenly felt the pain of their separation, and he desperately hoped the Voldemort would allow her to return to Hogwarts unmolested. Would he ever find out what happened to her, he wondered?

He sat on his rock and watched the sea rolling into the shore, like he’d done a hundred times before in his youth. He could almost hear Lisa chattering away happily by his side, or Perry talking about potion ingredients on one of the days they decided to move their lessons down to the beach. This place was the only real home he’d ever known, and he was grateful to return to it.

Slowly, Harry realised he was not alone. A whimpering noise was coming from behind one of the rocks. Standing, he carefully made his way round the formation until he could see who was making the sound. There, lying on the sand was a small, naked child. It was horribly misshapen, however, and its rough, red body looked like it had been flayed. It clutched at itself and made pathetic crying noises.

Harry didn’t know whether to try to help the child or turn and run. It revolted him and he felt a strange fear of the tiny infant. Surely, he should do something, shouldn’t he?

“You can’t help it, Harry,” a voice said.

He spun rapidly. Standing before him was a beautiful woman with long red hair and shining green eyes. She wore a flimsy, white slip which seemed to shimmer in the non-existent wind. Her skin was pale and unblemished and seemed to shine in the white haze. Her breasts were full, and her long legs were shapely. She was, quite simply, one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen. And he remembered he had seen her, once before, in his vision back in Japan. He fought to keep the tears from his eyes as he approached her.

“Mother,” he said simply.

“My son,” she replied, opening her arms. He ran to her and caught her in a crushing embrace. He felt her warm kisses on his check as she held him. Eventually, she pulled away slightly and held his face in her hands. They stared into each other’s eyes.

“Harry, my darling boy, I’ve missed you so much,” she told him. They were both openly crying now.

“You too, Mum. You don’t know what it’s been like, growing up without you,” he said. Suddenly, he had a million things he wanted to tell her.

“I do, Harry. You father and I have watched you as you grew. We’ve seen the wrongs that have been done to you. All your pain and suffering. But we’ve seen your joy and happiness, too. Your dad cheered when you first kissed Lisa, you know.”

Harry laughed. He nearly cheered himself as he recalled that happy moment.

“And Sirius and Remus are here. I knew you’d grow to love those two. Sirius has been babbling about what a wonderful girl Ginny is and how lucky you are.”

“How lucky I was,” Harry corrected.

“Ah, well. That’s the thing, Harry. You’re not dead. You can go back to her,” Lily said.

“What? But what… how… I don’t understand,” he said, shaking his head in confusion.

“Voldemort’s curse did not kill you, my love. The protections I gave you when I died were still in place, and Voldemort taking your blood to create his body only strengthened them. The curse therefore destroyed the only other living thing it could find.”

The wretched child wailed loudly at that point, causing them both to look back at it.

“I was a Horcrux, wasn’t I?” Harry asked hesitantly.

“Yes, but that part of Voldemort’s soul that was in you is gone now, destroyed by his own spell. He is mortal again,” she told him, her eyes shining.

A thought occurred to Harry.

“Dumbledore knew, didn’t he? He knew I was a Horcrux,” he said, his anger mounting.

“Yes, he knew, my darling. Of all the people who have hurt you, I think he has been the worst in many ways. You will discover he has betrayed many others, Harry, and his crimes are numerous. His pride has led him to believe only he can decide the course of events, and he manipulated and plotted until things are the way he feels is best. He is, of course, completely wrong and has caused countless misery in his efforts to control things for ‘the greater good’. You will have to confront him about this eventually.”

Harry stared at his mother. “Confront him? You mean I’m going back?”

“The choice is yours. There are many here who are waiting to see you: your father, Sirius, Remus, Tonks, Nicholas and Perenelle. Oh, Perry’s desperate to see you! But I don’t think it’s your time yet, Harry,” Lily said sadly. “I’d be so happy if you stayed with me. We could move on together to the next phase of life. But other people need you, and I want you and Ginny to make me a grandmother someday.”

“So I have a choice?” Harry clarified. “I can stay with you and see everyone else, or I can go back and face both Voldemort and Dumbledore?” It didn’t sound much of a choice.

“Could you live with yourself knowing you had the chance to finish Voldemort and you didn’t take it?” Lily asked. “Or that you let Dumbledore continue to wreck innocent people’s lives just because he felt it was the right way to do things? Would you leave Ginny alone in a world like that?”

Harry gazed sadly at his mother. Of course he couldn’t. He would have to go back and fight. “No, I’ll go back,” he confirmed.

“We’ll see each other again,” Lily told him, her hand caressing his cheek, “but not for a good long while yet, I hope. I love you, Harry, and I’m so proud of you.” She stood on tip-toes and softly kissed his forehead.

“I love you, Mum,” he replied. He had no other words.

With one last, sad embrace, Lily turned and began to slowly walk away. After a few yards she stopped and turned to face him, a mischievous smile on her face.

“Oh, and Harry? If you’re going to be standing around on a wind-swept beach, you really should wear a robe, you know. You’ll catch your death of cold running around with nothing on.”

And with a surprisingly girlish giggle, she was gone, leaving a highly embarrassed Harry standing there with his cheeks flaming. He was so mortified that he didn’t notice the beach starting to dissolve into nothingness.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Was it raining?

That was the first thing that Harry thought. He could feel raindrops gently hitting his face. He then became aware of other things: a pair of arms wrapped around him tightly, someone’s body shaking against him, and voices in the background. He strained to listen and realised he could hear the voice of Lucius Malfoy talking in a concerned manner.

“That will do, Lucius,” came Voldemort’s voice. He sounded angry and upset.

With his enemies so close, Harry dared not move. Only then did it occur to him that the arms wrapped around him were Ginny’s, and the raindrops he felt were her tears.

“You, child!” Voldemort snapped. “Is he dead?”

“OF COURSE HE’S DEAD, YOU BASTARD!” Ginny screamed, nearly causing Harry to flinch. Fortunately, he just managed to catch himself and remained deathly still.

A strange sound began to fill the forest clearing. At first Harry had no idea what it was and became quite alarmed. He longed to open his eyes and look around, but knew that would be to invite disaster. The strange high pitched noise continued until Harry managed to figure out what he was hearing.

Voldemort was laughing.

It was the most dreadful sound Harry had ever heard. It sounded like the ravings of a madman and could only have come from the lips of someone who delighted in pain and death. If Harry had ever doubted what effect splitting his soul had on Voldemort, that awful screeching laugh dispelled any illusions. Voldemort was insane.

Mercifully, the laughter subsided and silence fell once again. What would Voldemort do now, he wondered? Would he try to find a way round the magical oath? Harry wasn’t sure where his wand was, but should Voldemort try anything he would have no option to throw himself forward and hope it lay nearby. He didn’t fancy his chances.

“Come, Lucius, we must be away. We have plans to make,” Voldemort said at last.

“What about the girl?” Lucius asked. Harry could feel Ginny stiffen in fear beside him.

“We gave our oaths that she would not be touched, did we not?” Voldemort said mockingly. “No, the girl can be my messenger. Who better than Potter’s lover to take the news of his death to Dumbledore. Oh, how I wish I could be there to see his face when he realises that he’s lost! How sweet that would be.”

There was a pause and Harry could hear footsteps approaching. Despite Voldemort’s words, Harry prepared himself to move if need be. His whole body ached and he was exhausted, but he was damned if he’d give up without a fight.

“Return to the castle, girl,” Voldemort said from nearby. Harry heard something hit the ground. “Take your wand and carry the body of Potter before you. Let all see what happens to those who defy Lord Voldemort. Oh, and don’t think you have escaped punishment, little girl. It is merely postponed. I will be catching up with you and your disgusting family soon. Goodbye for now, Ginevra Weasley.”

Ginny started crying again and held onto Harry even tighter. Irrationally, he was annoyed at her, as he was trying to listen to what Voldemort and Malfoy were doing. Then, he heard two distinct pops and he knew they had Apparated away. He allowed himself to take a deep breath.

“Have they gone, Ginny?” he whispered. Ginny’s shaking body was abruptly still, her tears instantly halted.

“Harry?” she asked hesitantly.

Harry opened his eyes and found himself staring directly into his girlfriend’s rich brown ones. They were puffy and red from crying, but were still the most beautiful things he’d ever seen in his life.

“Hi, babe,” he murmured. “That’s twice that bastard has done that to me. You’d think I’d be used to it by now.”

“HARRY!” Ginny screamed and flung herself on top of him. He gingerly tried to move his body so the sore area where the curse had hit him wasn’t in direct contact with her. She clung to him so tightly that his efforts were in vain, however.

“Oh, Harry. I thought you were dead!” she sobbed. “I’m so sorry. I was stupid and nearly got you killed!”

“How did Voldemort manage to catch you?” he asked. He was genuinely intrigued as to how Ginny had been lured out of the castle.

“A couple of Hufflepuff girls, Susan Bones and Hannah Abbott, came and told me you wanted me. I never thought in a million years those two would be traitors. Both of them have had family killed by Voldemort!” Ginny snapped.

“Perhaps they were under the Imperius Curse,” Harry speculated.

“We’ll sort it out when we get back to the castle. I want Madam Pomfrey to look you over,” Ginny said decisively.

“Hold up, Ginny,” Harry said. A plan was beginning to form in his mind. “We might be able to use this situation to our advantage. Voldemort thinks I’m dead, right? Why don’t we keep letting him think that? I trust Dumbledore about as far as I could throw him; it might be a good idea if he thinks I’m gone, too.”

“What?” Ginny exclaimed. “Why?”

“Obviously, Voldemort won’t be trying to kill me if he thinks I’m already dead. I’m pretty sure now that Dumbledore knew I was a Horcrux and…” Harry stopped as Ginny gasped. “Yeah, sorry, Ginny. I only just worked this out. When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. I reckon he was planning on making a Horcrux when he tried to kill me when I was a baby. Instead of going into whatever object he was planning to use, the piece of his soul that he had detached went into me. That’s why I can speak Parseltongue and can feel his emotions at times. Hitting me with the Killing Curse again just destroyed the piece of his soul in me. I’m going to make it a point of not getting hit by that curse again.” He gently rubbed the sore spot where the curse had hit him.

“Okay,” Ginny acknowledged in a shaky voice. “So you think Dumbledore knew about this?”

“I’m sure of it. That old bastard has been trying to control me for years, and I think he was just waiting for the right moment, so I could be sacrificed for the greater good!” he growled.

“So what do we do now?” Ginny asked.

“I want to you to go up to the castle, crying your eyes out, and tell everyone I’m dead. Tell Dumbledore that Voldemort took my body with him. Offer to show him a Pensieve memory of my death, but make sure you end it just as I apparently die. And, whatever you do, don’t look directly into his eyes.”

“But what will you do?” she asked.

“Not sure just yet, but I need to start thinking of a plan. I’ll head to the Shrieking Shack for now, so I’m close by if you need me. Contact me via the two-way mirror tonight and we’ll decide what to do next. Oh, I nearly forgot.” He reached into his pocket and withdrew Ginny’s locket. “I’m afraid you’ll have to get the chain repaired. Try and keep it with you anyway.”

“You will be careful, won’t you?” she begged. “Thinking I’d lost you nearly killed me.”

Harry slipped his arms around her and kissed her passionately. “I promise, Ginny,” he assured her. “I’m going to finish Voldemort and give Dumbledore a good kicking, then I’m going to come back and we’ll be together. Forever, if I can manage it. Now, go back to Hogwarts and use whatever actress skills you have. Convince them I’m dead.”

“I will,” she agreed. “But remember, I’m holding you to that promise. Trust me; if you go off and get yourself killed, I’ll make you wish you’d never been born!”

Harry burst out laughing. You just couldn’t argue with logic like that.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Four hours later

Severus Snape sat and slowly digested the latest bad news. He’d never made any secret of his hatred for the Potter boy, or his opinion that his skills were overrated. But even so, the news was a massive shock. He was stunned that the Dark Lord had not mentioned his plan to kill Potter to him, but the Weasley girl had confirmed beyond doubt that it had happened. Harry Potter was dead.

What of the prophecy? Did his demise signal their defeat? Severus brushed away such thoughts and tried to concentrate on the Headmaster’s words.

“It’s been confirmed that both Abbott and Bones were placed under the Imperius Curse, so no blame can be apportioned to either girl,” Dumbledore said.

Severus came to his senses.

“The question is surely, Albus: who placed the curse on the girls in the first place?” he asked.

“It appears to be the work of Lucius Malfoy,” Dumbledore confirmed. “Although it is far from clear how he managed to get the two girls beyond the protective wards to perform the curse. Unfortunately, they have been partially Obliviated, so we may never know.”

“This represents a major security breech, Albus,” Severus said with concern. “If Malfoy was able to gain access to students in this manner, who knows what other havoc he could wreak in future.”

“I will investigate the matter fully, I promise,” the Headmaster said in a dismissive tone. “Unfortunately, we have another problem and one that affects you personally.”

“Explain,” Snape demanded. He suddenly had a very bad feeling.

“I have learnt through other sources that Voldemort has discovered that you have been acting for the Order as a spy,” Dumbledore informed him calmly.

“WHAT!” Severus yelled. “How was I discovered? Albus, I’m a dead man!”

“Calm down, my friend,” Albus said soothingly.

“How can I calm down?” he snapped. “I’ve seen how Voldemort deals with traitors! Now he has eliminated Potter he will devote all his energy to destroying me!”

“I think you’re getting a little carried away,” Albus chastised him. “Indeed, you are due to meet with Voldemort tonight, are you not? I suggest you attend that meeting as planned.”

“Are you insane?” Severus asked in shock.

“There are many who would say that I am, but in this matter I believe I am correct.” Dumbledore looked at Severus intently. “I suspect that Voldemort has been aware of your activities for some time now, but has done nothing about it.”

“But… why?” Severus asked, now completely confused.

“To put it simply; you’re still useful to him,” Dumbledore explained. “Voldemort is unaware that we know that he knows you are a spy. As long as he is unaware of this he will continue to use you to disseminate misinformation.”

“Simply put!” Severus snorted sarcastically. But now he thought about it, it made sense. Voldemort could continue to use him to feed lies and half-truths to the Order. If the Dark Lord was careful, that would be a valuable tool.

“Nevertheless, I believe this to be the reason Voldemort has kept you safe,” Dumbledore said confidently.

“But will it continue to keep me safe?” Severus demanded. “With Potter dead Voldemort may well decide my usefulness is at an end.”

“On the contrary, you have never been more useful to him.” Dumbledore stood and gazed out of a nearby window. “Poor young Harry has fulfilled his part in the Prophecy, and his death has removed Voldemort’s last protection against death. The time when Voldemort and I must confront each other approaches. You, Severus, hold a position uniquely close to me and as such are a vital asset to him. That almost certainly guarantees your safety.”

“Almost!” Severus repeated in a derisory tone.

“If you are still concerned, arrange to change the location of your meeting tonight. Say you cannot get away for long, and request that you meet Voldemort at the Shrieking Shack. That way, if anything should go wrong, help will be close by, as will be a means of escape,” Dumbledore suggested.

Snape nodded, realising this was as much comfort as the Headmaster could provide. He couldn’t help but feel, however, the steel jaws of a trap closing around him. With fear building inside him, he stood and left the office.

Dumbledore silently watched Snape leave. It was nearly all over now, and he savoured the calm before the coming storm. While he sat there he took the opportunity to examine his chess board. Very few pieces remained on the board now, and more would be removed shortly. Now Harry Potter had met his end, it was time to remove another piece.

Albus let his hand linger over the board. He imagined what most of the Order would be thinking at this moment; that with Potter’s demise they had suffered a major blow and that they had lost an important figure in their battle against Voldemort. Dumbledore snorted at the thought. The truth was that by dying and inadvertently destroying the final Horcrux within him, Potter had served his purpose and fulfilled his place within the prophecy.

Dumbledore removed a single white pawn from the board. That was all Potter had ever been.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Later that night

“Poor Susan was sobbing her heart out when she’d learnt what she’d done. Madam Pomfrey had to sedate her. I knew she couldn’t have willingly done anything to harm you.” Ginny’s face filled the small mirror in Harry’s hand and her voice sounded strangely distorted as she described what had happened after he had left.

Since taking refuge at the Shrieking Shack, Harry had desperately been trying to come up with a plan of action. Unfortunately, inspiration eluded him, and he could not decide what to do next. In the end, he decided to simply wait for Ginny to call him at the pre-arranged time to see if she had any more information.

“I’m more worried that neither she nor Hannah had any idea how they were put under the Imperius Curse,” Harry mused. “It could mean an agent of Voldemort’s is in the castle. Please watch your back, Ginny. Try and stay with either Hermione or Luna at all times.”

“Okay, Harry, I’ll try,” Ginny replied sounding a bit annoyed. “Dumbledore seemed to think that they were lured out of the castle somehow.”

“Excuse me if I don’t take his word for that,” Harry grumbled.

“So what are you going to do now?” Ginny wanted to know.

“I’m not sure,” he said frowning. “It’s not like I had this planned out. The lack of information is going to be the real problem. Unless I can find a source within the Order, or within the Death Eaters, I’m working blind. I can only react to events, assuming I find out about them at all, that is.”

“Do you think this is the right decision?” Ginny asked. “You pretending you’re dead, I mean.”

“Yeah, I’m convinced this is for the best. I just wish I’d had a bit of notice so I could get a plan in place. You know, I think if… wait!” A faint warbling sound interrupted him.

“What is it?” Ginny cried in alarm.

“Someone has triggered one of the Warning Charms I put out,” he informed her. “I’m going to have to go. I’ll call you as soon as I can.”

“Okay. I love you,” Ginny said before her image vanished.

Stuffing the mirror into a pocket, Harry considered his options. The alarm that had been set off was in the tunnel leading from the shack to the Whomping Willow just outside Hogwarts, so he couldn’t go back that way. Deciding it was his best option, he grabbed his Invisibility Cloak and started to throw it over his head. As the cloak twirled around him, Harry noticed it giving off a strange silvery shine. Gripping it tightly, he held it in front of him and he could see it giving off a weak reflection from the pale light inside the shack. Cursing that now of all times the cloak should fail him, he threw it into a corner and changed into his Animagus form. Quickly, he flew up through a large hole in the ceiling and perched on one of the rafters. It was a perfect spot, cloaked in shadows but affording him a clear view of the room below.

A short while later, the trap door in the room opened and Severus Snape entered. Harry watched him with in fascination, wondering what the man was up to. Snape appeared to be waiting for someone, and was pacing restlessly backwards and forwards.

After about ten minutes, Harry was startled by three people Apparating directly into the shack. Two of them Harry thought he recognised as Death Eaters named Macnair and Rowle. The third person was instantly recognisable: Voldemort.

“My Lord,” Snape said, bowing low before Voldemort, “congratulations on your victory over that brat, Potter. Dumbledore is in despair over his death.”

Voldemort stood perfectly still and stared at Snape. He continued to look at the man silently until Snape started to fidget, clearly unnerved by the Dark Lord’s examination of him. Eventually, Voldemort spoke.

“Tell me, Severus, what is your opinion of Dumbledore?” he asked in a quiet voice.

“My Lord?” Snape seemed confused by the question. “I have told you everything I know about him. I have kept nothing from you!”

“I did not say that you had, Severus. I merely asked your opinion of the man,” Voldemort responded.

“He’s a powerful wizard, as you know, my Lord,” Severus said hesitantly. He appeared to have been caught completely on the hop by being asked his own opinion.

“I didn’t ask for a description of him. I wanted your opinion.” Anger started to creep into Voldemort’s voice.

“I think he has a number of flaws in his character,” Snape offered. “He is far too trusting and forgiving. He can be easily deceived, and he is far too ready to forgive people for their crimes. He wastes the opportunities his position of power offers him.”

Voldemort nodded, but remained silent. From his hiding place Harry could practically feel Snape’s discomfort.

“Do you know why I like Albus Dumbledore?” Voldemort asked after a while.

“My Lord?” Snape asked in bewilderment.

“I’ll tell you why,” Voldemort said, ignoring Snape. “I like the man because he knows how to play the game. He knows when to protect someone, and he knows when it is beneficial to sacrifice that person. While he and I have vastly different views on how the world should be run, we both know what needs to be done to achieve that vision.”

Snape stared at Voldemort in disbelief.

“Answer me another question if you will, Severus,” Voldemort asked with something approaching a smile on his face.

“Anything, my Lord!” Snape said at once.

“Did you really believe that you could keep your thoughts hidden from me, the greatest master of Legilimency the world has ever seen?” Voldemort asked.

Snape’s legs buckled and nearly collapsed beneath him. He felt his stomach cramp with fear and a cold sweat appeared on his brow. He had been uncovered, and all he could expect now was a slow, painful death.

“Despite my earlier words, there is one major difference between Dumbledore and myself,” Voldemort continued conversationally. “You see, he never likes to get his hands dirty. If a person needs to be killed, he would much rather someone else takes care of it for him, which is why he has given you to me; I like dealing with these little matters personally.”

Snape’s jaw dropped. “He knew?”

“Of course Albus Dumbledore knew that I was aware of your treachery,” Voldemort laughed. “You thought you could deceive both of us, but in truth we have been playing with you like some little puppet on a string.”

“If you knew I was spying for Dumbledore, why did you permit me to continue?” Snape asked, his voice sick with despair.

“Because at times it has been necessary for me to pass information to Dumbledore and vice versa. It has almost become a game between us, deciding what information is true and what are lies. To those skilled at the game, even a lie can give an indication as to your opponent’s intentions,” Voldemort explained, the amusement clear in the Dark Lord’s voice. “The final battle approaches and your usefulness is at an end.”

“So that was all I was? A go-between and a toy for your amusement?” he snarled. Severus realised his whole life had been a lie. From the moment he had stepped into Hogwarts, he had been manipulated and used by powers much greater than himself.

“Oh, you’ve always been nothing more than a toy, Severus. You presumed to try to walk amongst giants, and now you will be squashed like the insignificant insect that you are.”

Without warning Voldemort drew his wand and cast a Cutting Charm at Snape. It hit him in the stomach and slit him open right across his belly. Snape screamed and fell back against the wall, clutching at his midriff in an attempt to prevent his innards spilling out onto the floor. Voldemort stood over the fallen man with a look of glee on his face.

“I regret that I do not have the time to deal with you in the manner you deserve, so I will leave you to the tender care of Macnair and Rowle here.” Voldemort gestured at the two Death Eaters who were waiting eagerly. “I am quite busy, you see. My final confrontation with Dumbledore approaches and I must prepare. In two days’ time I shall assault Hogwarts and kill all who refuse to bow before me. Dumbledore may think himself safe, lurking within the castle; but he is unaware that I have discovered a method of bringing down the protective wards. It is a shame that you will not be around to see my final triumph. Goodbye, Severus.”

With that, Voldemort turned and Apparated away. Harry looked on in horror. Despite his distrust of Dumbledore, he couldn’t believe that the old man had so callously arranged for Snape to walk into a trap. He felt panic rising in him at the knowledge that Hogwarts would be attacked and Voldemort was confident that he could breach its defences. He needed to get Ginny out of there immediately.

His thoughts were disrupted by Macnair. The big Death Eater had approached Snape who was looking up at him with a mix of fear and anger on his face. Macnair only laughed.

“You have no idea how much I’m looking forward to this, Snape. Crucio!” Macnair aimed his wand at the fallen man and cackled as Snape’s body convulsed under his curse. Harry knew he has to do something. He glided down from his hiding place and landed behind the two Death Eaters. He silently reverted to human form and aimed his wand.

“Confringo! Confringo!” Harry sent a Blasting Curse into the back of each of the Death Eaters. They were blown off their feet and they landed heavily. A quick glance at them told Harry that neither of them would be getting up ever again.

Pausing only to retrieve his discarded Invisibility Cloak from the corner and stuffing it into a pocket, he hurried over to where Snape lay. It only took one look for Harry to realise the man was beyond help. The deep cut to his stomach had been ripped open by the Cruciatus Curse, and a large pool of blood had formed around his body. He was convulsing and making gagging noises. Harry knelt beside him but had no idea how to offer comfort to someone so grievously injured.

Seeing him, Snape grabbed the front of his robes. With a superhuman effort he managed to whisper to him.

“Take… it,” Snape gasped.

A strange white wisp of light had started to seep from the dying man’s eyes. Recognising what it was, Harry quickly conjured a small glass vial and, using his wand, gathered the memory that Snape was trying to give him. Once he had the memory safely secured, he looked back at the man he had hated for years.

Snape stared at him with wide, panicky eyes, and it was clear the man knew he had moments left to live. His lips moved and it looked like he was trying to say something. Harry gripped Snape’s arms, trying to comfort him. He could no longer hate the man and only wished for his suffering to end. Then, as if in answer to Harry’s silent prayer, the Professor’s body stiffened and his eyes glazed over. He was dead.

Harry sat back and shuddered. He was sitting in a pool of blood surrounded by corpses. Desperately, he tried to arrange his thoughts into some sort of order. Looking around, he realised the first thing he needed to do was get rid of the bodies of the Death Eaters. If they were found here it would alert either Dumbledore or Voldemort that someone had witnessed Snape’s final moments. After that he would need access to a Pensieve.

Forcing his body to move, he grabbed the legs of the two dead Death Eaters and Apparated to the Forbidden Forest. There were plenty of animals within the woods that would appreciate the extra food. After that he decided he would return to Cornwall. Nick’s Pensieve should still be in his study where he left it.

With his mind reeling at the revelations he had just witnessed, Harry made ready to Apparate to the Flamels' old house. Secretly, he began to dread what new surprises he would discover in the memories of Severus Snape.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Dumb ledore stood by the window staring out into the night. It was over two hours since Snape had left for his meeting with Voldemort. It should all be over by now.

Of all of the recent actions he’d had to take, this was the one that hurt the most. Severus had become more than an ally; he’d been a friend he could confide in. While Albus had many acquaintances, he had virtually no friends any more. The burden of command was indeed a lonely thing.

As much as he regretted the passing of Severus, it was an unavoidable necessity. The man was a loose cannon who simply knew too much. Dumbledore had a very clear vision of the how the magical world should be after Voldemort was dealt with, and the likes of Severus Snape had no place in it. Snape had a vast knowledge of dark magic, and, for someone as damaged as he was, it would only be a matter of time before he made use of it.

Sighing, Dumbledore made his way to his chess board. With a heavy heart he removed both a white and black bishop from it, Snape having represented both sides in the conflict, after all. There were very few pieces left now; only a scattering of pawns and both kings. It was nearly time for those kings to enter the battle.

Sitting himself at his desk, Dumbledore went through his plan one more time. Things had become far too rushed for his liking. Haste always left room for mistakes or deprived one of the ability to react to changes, but hopefully that wouldn’t matter now. All he needed was Voldemort to remain inactive for another week, and everything would be in place. Albus was planning a trap, and he just needed a little more time to bait it properly. Fortunately, Hogwarts and its impenetrable wards gave him that time. As long as he didn’t venture beyond its walls for the next seven days, Voldemort would have no opportunity to launch the first strike.

Dumbledore sat back, pleased with the way things were going and completely unaware of the impending disaster about to befall him.


AN

The first part doesn’t come over as too Freudian, does it? I didn’t intend to give Harry an Oedipus complex. Well, not too much of one, anyway.

Hopefully, I’ve made Dumbledore’s motivation for betraying Snape clear. This version of Albus is much more ruthless than the canon one, and has a very clear vision of how the magical world should be. Snape is a damaged soul, who displays signs of neurosis and mental instability. The transference of his issues with a dead man to his enemy’s son is an obvious sign of non-rational thinking. Add to that the fact that he has a vast knowledge and general fascination with dark magic and you can begin to see why Albus didn’t see a place for Severus in his magical utopia. Besides, Snape knows too many of Dumbledore’s dirty little secrets.

Thanks to the wonderful Arnel for beta’ing this, despite battling technology issues at the same time.
Reviews 733
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear