Search:

SIYE Time:14:47 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Butterfly Effect
By Brennus

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Rape, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 733
Summary: Minor events can have repercussions far beyond their size and importance. When one of these minor events occurs to a ten year-old Harry Potter he finds his world turned upside-down and it starts him down a very different path than the one he expected to follow.
Hitcount: Story Total: 199230; Chapter Total: 8986
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
A bit of a wordy chapter this one and unfortunately it does rehash quite a bit of the books, but it was necessary to show what exactly what the Flamels know about Dumbledore and why they are wary of him. Oh, and if anyone is upset about the character of Lisa just try and think of her as this stories Cho Chang - just a bit nicer. And with less emotional baggage. And a better kisser.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 5 — In Secrets We Drown



Monday, 25 July 1994

Days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. Harry continued to learn and grow under the Flamels' careful guidance. Before he knew it another year and a half had passed, and his fourteenth birthday was fast approaching. If asked, Harry would have said that he was the happiest he had ever been in his life.

Just before Christmas the previous year, he had returned to Hogwarts for a few days to sit his OWL’s. For some reason this had caused Nick and Perry a great deal of concern, and they had insisted that one of them be with him at all times. They had also been rather hostile to Professor Dumbledore while they were there. Harry gathered there had been something of a falling out between his adopted grandparents and the headmaster. He wasn’t too bothered about this, as he still hadn’t forgiven Dumbledore for allowing Lockhart anywhere near the Chamber of Secrets. The knowledge that the old man was also responsible for placing him with the Dursleys also burned in the back of his mind.

Fortunately, there were no major confrontations and Harry completed his exams without problems. He received the results a few weeks later and was amazed to have received outstanding grades across the board. Nicholas had told him that he had expected nothing less from him, but his guardian had still glowed with pride, nonetheless. A framed copy of his results now decorated his grandfather’s study, and secretly Harry was delighted at Nick’s reaction. Of course, the next day they had made a start on his NEWT-level studies.

But things were far from being all work. Harry flew his broom whenever he got the chance, and Perry told him he was a talented flyer. He just wished he got the opportunity to fly more often. He also continued his Taekwondo and had become quite skilled. He was now one of the best in the group and had taken part in a couple of county level competitions where he had done quite well. Lisa had even had to find a new sparring partner as Harry had just got too big and strong for her, much to her disgust.

Harry was a little confused about his relationship with the small, brown haired girl. Lately, she had taken to telling her friends that he was her boyfriend, and he hadn’t particularly felt the need to correct her. They certainly spent a lot of time together, the beach being their favourite place to hang out. In summer they swam in the sea or lay around on the sand, while in colder weather they just walked along the sea front or sheltered behind the rocks. Lately, however, there seemed to be some tension between them; and Lisa alternated between finding excuses to sit very close to him or to start picking fights with him. Harry strongly suspected that she was waiting for him to confirm that she was his girlfriend, but he hadn’t been able to work up the nerve to do that yet.

It was a week before his birthday that Nicholas called him into his study and told him he wanted to have a chat. With mounting curiosity he sat in one of the comfy leather chairs opposite his grandfather. He became slightly concerned when Perry entered behind him and firmly closed the door. She sat beside her husband and looked at Harry with an unreadable expression.

“Harry, Nicholas and I have had a long chat and we have decided that we have something we must tell you,” Perry began. For some reason a sense of dread came over Harry. “We debated when to tell you this information, but in the end felt that you had a right to know.”

“Professor Dumbledore rather pointedly told us that he didn’t want you to be told this information we are about to give you. We are ignoring him. Over the years our trust in Dumbledore’s judgement has diminished greatly, and we feel he does not necessarily have your best interests at heart,” Nick informed him. Harry felt a wave of irritation at the Hogwarts Headmaster. He was not surprised the old man had tried to keep information from him; it seemed exactly the sort of thing he would do.

“What we are about to tell you relates to why Voldemort attacked your parents and why he tried to kill you as a baby. It will also explain why we have tried to keep you hidden for so long, Harry,” Perry continued before Nick took up the story.

“Just before you were born, a prophecy was made by the Divination teacher at Hogwarts. While I generally think such things are hogwash, this one has proved surprisingly accurate. The prophecy is as follows.” Nicholas recited the prophecy exactly as he had heard it in Dumbledore’s Pensieve several years before.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies ... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

Harry sat stunned for a second while he tried to wrap his brain around the words. A thousand thoughts went through his mind as he tried to find some logical reason why the words could not relate to him. He failed.

“So, this ‘one with the power he knows not,’ that’s definitely me, is it?” he asked.

“Dumbledore is convinced of it and, after some research, so am I,” Nick informed him.

“And that bit about ‘neither shall live while the other survives’ that means I’ve got to kill him or he will kill me, doesn’t it?” Harry could hear the slight tremor in his voice.

Nick and Perry glanced at each other with a worried expression.

“Yes, Harry. We believe it does,” Perry confirmed quietly.

“But…I…why?” was all he managed to say.

“Now, Harry, we don’t want you to get too worked up about this just yet. As far as we understand it, Voldemort does not even have a corporeal form at present. Until he regains a body, he is no threat to you. Now that might happen in ten, twenty or even thirty years time. You have lots of time to learn and train. You’re already off to a wonderful start. You’re magically powerful and I expect by the end of the year you will be taking your NEWT exams. You’re already way ahead of anyone your age!” Nick assured him.

“Yes, and you have other talents. You’re wonderful on a broom and look how skilled you are becoming at that Muggle martial art you love. You’ve achieved all this and you’re not even fourteen yet,” Perry added enthusiastically.

“And once your NEWTS are finished, we’ll still have so much more to teach you. You are a powerful wizard, Harry, and there is no limit to what you could achieve. Learn as much as you can, but don’t forget to have fun too. Enjoy your childhood, my boy. It will be years before you have to worry about any of this; we made sure of that,” Nick smiled encouragingly.

“What do you mean, you made sure of it?” Harry asked. Nick’s face fell slightly as he realised what he had said. Harry’s feeling of dread increased. “What have you done?” he asked quietly. Nick looked him in the eyes.

“As you know, Harry, Perry and I have lived incredibly long lives due to the Philosopher's Stone. That’s all well and good, but there has always been a risk that if the stone fell into the wrong hands it could be used for great evil. Just before you came to us, we became aware that the agents of Voldemort were seeking to steal the stone. The vault in which it was kept at Gringotts was even broken into. Voldemort has long sought immortality, and the stone would give him just that. We could not allow that to happen,” he explained.

“What did you do?” Harry repeated.

“We destroyed the stone,” Perry told him flatly.

“But…you’ll die,” Harry stuttered, unable to keep the anguish out of his voice. Perry shot forward and flung her arms around him.

“Not for a good long while, Harry. When we learnt we would be looking after you we made sure we had a large supply of the elixir that should last us years yet. But, truthfully, I think our years were numbered even if we had kept the stone, my love. Both Nick and I, we’ve felt worn and tired for some time. I don’t think the stone was ever meant to permit anyone to live forever, just for a very long lifespan. And that is running out for us. But don’t worry, we still have lots of time left,” she said, hugging him fiercely.

“Promise,” Harry begged through his tears.

“I promise,” she whispered, kissing him on top of his head. “We still have so many wonderful things to show and teach to you, Harry.”

Harry said nothing further but continued hugging his adopted grandmother tightly. They stayed like that for nearly ten minutes before Harry managed to get his sobbing under control.

“So, I have an evil Dark Lord who wants to kill me, and you two could drop dead at any moment. Any other good news you want to give me?” Harry couldn’t quite keep the bitterness out of his voice.

“Don’t be like that,” Perry scolded lightly. “We have years together yet. And by the time we’re finished with you, Voldemort won’t stand a chance.”

Harry nodded and dried his remaining tears. In the space of a few minutes his world had been turned upside down. He dearly hoped that this would not be the start of more troubles, but somehow he didn’t think he would be that lucky.


Saturday, 27 August 1994

Harry took a bite out of his burger and looked thoughtfully round at the other party guests. He was currently sat in Lisa’s back garden with around twenty other kids celebrating her thirteenth birthday. Although he knew a few of the other guests from the Taekwondo group, most of them were Lisa’s school friends whom he had never met before. They seemed a fairly friendly bunch, although most of the girls were rather giggly. It had been a slightly strange party as Lisa had decided that now she was a teenager party games would be too childish. Instead, her parents had set up the family’s stereo system outside so everyone could dance. In reality, this resulted in the girls dancing and the boys standing around with their hands in their pockets looking lost. Much to his embarrassment, Lisa had grabbed him at one point and made him dance with her. Harry wasn’t at all sure if his efforts could actually be classified as dancing or not.

It was now early evening and the party, which had been going on all afternoon, was just breaking up. Harry had valiantly volunteered to help eat the last of the food while Lisa had teased him that he had hollow legs. He was a growing boy and needed his sustenance, he had insisted. Finishing the last of his burger he began to help Lisa’s parents tidy up. In truth, he was rather glad the party had finished as he had felt rather uncomfortable throughout it.

He’d never really felt that he was different from other children his age before, but for some reason today he’d been overwhelmed by the idea. Perhaps because he had been living as a Muggle before he came to live with the Flamels, he had felt perfectly at home amongst the other kids. But the more he studied magic, the more he came to realise he was different. He had incredible powers that these people would never understand, let alone duplicate. Somewhere along the line he had embraced his magical heritage and he could never again live like a Muggle. But now he had started to feel alienated and strange amongst the other teenagers. Memories of Vernon Dursley calling him a freak entered him mind and left a bad taste in his mouth. Suddenly, a voice from behind him jolted him out of his dark thoughts.

“Thanks for helping clean up, Harry,” said Lisa brightly. Harry turned and looked at the girl. She was still quite small, only coming up to his chin. She had, however, shed most of her puppy fat, and looked slim and attractive. Her brown hair shined and hung below her shoulder. Harry also liked her dark brown eyes which always seemed so full of amusement. He grinned at her.

“No problems, Lisa. Your parents fed me so much I thought I better do something to earn my keep,” he said.

“Yeah, just as well Dad got that extra packet of burgers out the freezer. How many did you eat? Five or six, was it?” She laughed and poked him in the tummy.

“Hey, I had three! And they were spaced out over the entire afternoon. Besides, your Dad cooked them so well it would have been rude to say no,” he countered.

“If you say so,” she laughed. A second later the smile left her face and she suddenly looked nervous. “Harry, I have something I want to show you. Can you come with me?” She reached out and took his hand and started to lead him to the rear of the garden. Like many houses on this side of the small village, the garden backed onto woodland. Lisa pulled him through a gap in the chain fence and out amongst the trees. They had gone a little way when Lisa stopped and turned to face Harry. He looked around him in confusion.

“What did you want to show me out here?” he asked.

“Well, I might have lied about that bit,” she confessed, chewing her bottom lip. “Really I brought you here because I think it’s time you gave me my birthday present.”

“But I already gave you your present,” Harry objected. The fact that Lisa was wearing the necklace he had given her rather emphasised that, he thought.

“No, not that one,” she said shyly. “I’m ready for my birthday kiss now.”

Harry gulped.

Although Lisa had been referring to him as her boyfriend for about a month now, they had never really done anything intimate. Not that Harry hadn’t thought about it. He had thought about it a lot. Probably more than was good for him, actually. But now Lisa was asking him to kiss her and he was terrified. Lisa took a step towards him until they were nearly touching, and Harry realised they were actually going to do this. With his pulse racing, he slowly bent down and brought his lips to hers.

Their first kiss was gentle and soft. Her lips were moist and he could taste her strawberry lip gloss. He slowly pulled away and looked at her in amazement. Although he had studied wondrous magic and had seen many unbelievable creatures, that kiss had to be the single most mind blowing thing he had ever experienced. Lisa seemed to agree and broke into a wide smile. Seconds later, she flung her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his again. Harry responded enthusiastically.

They ended up laying on a patch of grass behind a bush. With their arms wrapped around each other, they happily spent the next half an hour snogging like their lives depended on it. It was only when Lisa reluctantly informed him that she had better return home before her parents started to worry that they broke apart. They returned hand in hand and Harry no longer had any doubts that Lisa was indeed his girlfriend.

He kissed her once more before leaving via the side gate. He was pretty sure that he floated home rather than walked with his head swimming from her lavender scent that had rubbed off on him. Whatever thoughts he had earlier in the day of alienation vanished, and all he could think of was her bright brown eyes and her soft lips. He had never been so happy in his life and totally failed to notice Perry’s amused looks at him as he came into the house. He went upstairs and lay down on his bed, dreaming of his new girlfriend.


Friday, 9 June 1995

Life continued pretty much as it had done before for Harry. His fears about Nick and Perry dwindled in the face of this apparent normality. They looked the same as ever and, as they showed no signs of suddenly vanishing from his life, it was easy to forget his worries. As Nick had predicted, he was ready to sit his NEWT exams just before Christmas; and once again managed to get an outstanding rating in every subject. He’d even received a separate letter of commendation from the exam board congratulating him on some of the best results they had ever seen. A copy of the letter also went up on Nick’s study wall next to Harry’s framed exam results. Although he had long been aware of Nicholas’s teaching methods of implanting the information directly in his mind by a process called Legilimency, he didn’t feel it was cheating in any way. The method apparently wouldn’t have worked if his mind wasn’t receptive and, besides, he read all the reference material relating to the subjects. It just saved time, and time, they realised, might not be on their side.

After the NEWT-level material was finished, Nick began to teach him other things. He began to learn how to protect his mind from mental attack and how to read the thoughts of others. He started to learn how to Apparate even though he wouldn’t be allowed to hold a licence until he was seventeen. And all the while he learnt new and powerful spells, mainly from old, dusty tomes Nick dragged from the corners of his vast library. He even began to study animagus theory.

Of course there were other distractions to keep him busy. That February he achieved the tenth and final ranking in his junior Taekwondo group, and was awarded the red belt with a black strip that went with it. To celebrate, he demonstrated breaking three concrete paving bricks with his hand and received the applause of the rest of the group with Lisa clapping the loudest.

He spent as much time with his pretty girlfriend as he could. In good weather they wandered the woods and fields around their home, seeking the privacy they craved. Bad weather presented more of a challenge, but Harry did enjoy one very memorable Saturday afternoon when Lisa’s parents had gone out and she smuggled him up to her bedroom. Lisa had allowed him to put his hands in places he had never been allowed before, and he suspected that next time he practiced his Patronus spell he would have no problems coming up with some happy memories.

But not everything was perfect in the Flamel house. Returning from a date with Lisa one evening, he entered the house to hear shouting coming from the front room. He crept closer and tried to listen through the closed door, but only heard snatches of conversation.

“Won’t…to be…unacceptable…simply will not allow…” he heard Perry shout. He couldn’t hear the next part at all as the person was speaking in a much quieter voice. Whatever was said apparently infuriated his grandmother, however.

“How dare you say that, Albus!” she screamed. “You entrusted Harry’s welfare to us and I refuse to just turn him over to you whenever you see fit. I love that boy and I would never put him at risk!”

Harry stepped back. So the person Perry was arguing with was Albus Dumbledore. Clearly the Hogwarts Headmaster wanted Harry to do something and Perry had refused. He shuddered at the memory of what happened the last time had Dumbledore requested his help. He felt a surge of affection for Perry for protecting him and her declaration of love. Of course, she had told him she loved him many times before, but for her to proclaim it out loud like that warmed his heart.

He struggled to hear more, but the voices had returned to a more reasonable level. Fearing the conversation was coming to an end, Harry went and hid in the kitchen where he would be able to hear anyone leaving the front room. Sure enough, a minute later he heard a door snatched open and footsteps in the hall.

“Nicholas, Perenelle, I urge you to reconsider. There is more at stake than just one boy’s happiness. Hogwarts would be the best…” Dumbledore said before he was cut off.

“No. I won’t say it again, Dumbledore. There is nothing that you can teach Harry that I cannot. He has a good life here, he is learning at an amazing rate and above all he is safe! Hogwarts will only hold him back. Sweet Merlin, he’s already passed all his NEWT’s. You just want him somewhere you can keep an eye on him, don’t you?” Nick sounded as angry as Perry had been.

“That is simply not true, Nicholas. And while Harry may have finished his studies up to NEWT level, we have many fine teachers at Hogwarts who…” Again Dumbledore was cut off.

“Who can teach him nothing that Nicholas can’t!” Perry snapped. “We have bent to your will over many things in the past, Dumbledore, but not this time. In fact, I think it’s time for you to leave.”

Harry could hear no response, but as there was no further shouting he assumed the Professor had left.

“Harry, could you come in here, please,” called Perry a second later.

Harry was taken aback that his grandmother knew he was in there, but then remembered his bracelet through which Perry could track his movements. He suddenly had a wave of panic about his adventures in Lisa’s bedroom. Tentatively, he went into the front room.

Perry was sat on the sofa with an expression that would curdle milk, and Nick was pacing back and forth in front of the fire place. He stopped as Harry entered and gestured for him to sit.

“I’m sure that you heard part of our conversation with Professor Dumbledore, Harry,” he began.

Harry nodded his head guiltily.

“No matter, my boy. This is your home and we weren’t exactly making any pretence at secrecy.”

“As you might have gathered, we have had something of a disagreement with Albus,” said Perry, taking up the story. “He wishes you to attend Hogwarts this coming September. His arguments were that you would be safer there and that it would give you access to the expertise that the teaching staff would offer. Both points are ridiculous and we rejected them.”

“I do wonder, however, if there is a reason behind Albus’s sudden interest in your security. Perhaps he knows something we don’t. It would not be the first time he has kept information to himself,” pondered Nick.

“No, indeed. I suspect you are correct, love,” Perry agreed. “Harry, I think it’s time we told you a little of our past history with Dumbledore. It may explain why we are a little mistrustful of him.”

“It wasn’t always this way,” Nick explained. “We first met Albus in France at the turn of the last century. He was a brilliant young man and very keen to learn. I gathered from him that there had been some family tragedy in the past that had led him to travel and study to forget. He had some very interesting theories regarding Alchemy, and we did some work together. Not long after that he decided he wanted to teach and took a position at Hogwarts where he has been ever since. It was only some years later we discovered the details of this family tragedy he had not wanted to talk about.” Nick paused while Perry took up the story.

“Dumbledore came from a good wizarding family. His parents were well-off pure-bloods and he had a younger brother and sister. He was always the most gifted of the three, and from an early age it was clear he would go far. Unfortunately, things did not go to plan. While Albus and his brother were at Hogwarts, a group of Muggle boys spotted his sister performing accidental magic. They tried to force her to repeat what they had seen her do and, when she couldn’t, they became angry and attacked her. They got…rather carried away and the poor girl was never the same again. Dumbledore’s father, in a violent rage, hunted the boys down and killed them.”

“Sounds like they got what they deserved,” Harry commented. Perry’s implications as to what the boys had done were quite clear.

“Maybe, and maybe not. In any case, Dumbledore Senior had clearly taken things too far. He was arrested but refused to say why he had killed the Muggles because he wanted to keep his only daughter’s shame a secret. The girl had become mentally unbalanced and he was afraid she would be taken away and put in a home. He died in Azkaban some years later, having never spoken a word as to why he had committed those crimes,” Perry sighed.

Harry tried to sort out how he felt about Dumbledore Senior’s actions. What would he do, put in that position? What if someone hurt Lisa? It seemed only right that he would hunt the perpetrators down and make them suffer. You had to protect your loved ones, didn’t you?

“This left Dumbledore’s mother looking after the mentally ill, and quite dangerous, girl. Albus continued his education and achieved brilliant results, nearly as good as yours, Harry.” Nick grinned at him before continuing. “Just as Albus was about to graduate, his mother died. This left him as the head of the house and responsible for looking after his sister. To his credit, he didn’t shirk his responsibilities, at least not at first. Then one day a young man came to Godrick's Hollow where they lived and changed everything. That young man was called Gellert Grindelwald.”

Harry gasped out loud. He knew the name Grindelwald well from his history lessons. The man was evil and had caused the death of millions with his interference in Muggle politics. The Second World War started due to his influence with the Muggle dictator Hitler. Dumbledore had defeated the man, but not until 1945. He knew Grindelwald from an early age?

“Yes, I can see you are shocked, Harry. But you haven’t heard anything yet,” Perry said grimly. “In those days, Grindelwald was just a rather rash young man who had just been expelled from Durmstrang due to his radical ideas on how the Wizarding world should be run. He was, however, extremely intelligent and very handsome. Two things that appealed greatly to Dumbledore.” It took a second for Perry’s words to register in Harry’s mind.

“Hold on! You mean…is Dumbledore gay?” he asked in a shocked voice.

“Yes, he is,” Perry confirmed, “but frankly, I’m more concerned about his actual choice of partners rather than their gender. Grindelwald and Dumbledore became lovers and Grindelwald managed to convert his new friend to many of his ideas. Muggles are not capable of looking after themselves, he would argue. We wizards should take control so we can guide them, he would say. It’s all for the GREATER GOOD!” Perry spat the last words out in disgust.

“The ‘greater good’ is a term Albus is rather fond of,” Nick explained. “He believes that life resembles a game of chess and sometimes you have to sacrifice a few pawns to win the game. Unfortunately, he seems to think it’s his job to decide who the pawns are.”

“Anyway,” said Perry, getting the story back on track, “Dumbledore and Grindelwald started planning their conquest. They hoped to unite the Deathly Hallows to achieve this. Are you familiar with them, Harry?”

He shook his head.

“Well, you can look them up in the library later. While Dumbledore was busy plotting away with his boyfriend, he failed to notice his sister was not being taken care of properly. When his brother returned, he became enraged at the poor job Dumbledore was doing of looking after his sibling. This resulted in a confrontation between the brothers and Grindelwald. It quickly spun out of control and spells were exchanged. Then, suddenly, the poor girl dived into the fight. She may have been trying to help or maybe just stop the fighting, we will never know. She got in the way of a spell and was killed instantly. The thing is, no-one knows who cast the spell.”

“You mean, Dumbledore may have killed his own sister?” Harry gasped.

“It’s possible. Grindelwald fled the country and Albus was consumed with grief. He severed his links with Grindelwald and abandoned his previous plans. He took up a career in teaching so, he claims, he will never have the temptations of holding political power, which he feels is his weakness. Of course, Headmaster of Hogwarts is still a pretty influential position. And I’m not sure how being Supreme Mugwump and Chief Warlock doesn’t qualify as holding political power. In fact, the only position of power Albus has turned down is Minister for Magic, and I suspect that’s only because he likes to work in the background,” Perry complained.

Harry was beginning to realise just how much his grandmother disliked the Professor.

“Now, you will point out that Dumbledore did defeat Grindelwald in the end and helped stop the war. On the other side of the coin, it could be pointed out that he only confronted his former lover after he was virtually begged to do so by the Ministry. He could have confronted Grindelwald anytime in the Thirties or early Forties and could have saved thousands, if not millions of lives if he had acted sooner. So why didn’t he? There could be many reasons. It’s possible that it was the fear that the truth about what happened to his sister would come out. I suspect, however, that Albus still had feelings for Grindelwald and still sympathised with some of his beliefs. The only major difference I can see these days is that Dumbledore appears determined to control the Magical word ‘for the greater good’ rather than the Muggle one.”

“One of the main reasons Perry and I withdrew from the Wizarding world was the actions of Dumbledore and the Ministry during the war with Voldemort. This was another instance where many lives could have been saved if he had acted quicker. He knew Tom Riddle was evil, and yet he sat and watched him morph into Lord Voldemort and strike terror into the hearts of every witch and wizard in the country,” Nick explained while shaking his head in disbelief.

“Albus appears to have this thing about people redeeming themselves. He will permit people to commit the most hideous crimes without intervention if he believes there is even the smallest chance they will see the error of their ways. I suspect he had always hoped this was what Grindelwald would do so they could have been reunited. The only trouble with this is that he doesn’t seem too concerned with how many innocent people get hurt while he’s waiting for the evil-doer to repent! Why should the innocent suffer for the benefit of those that have made their choices and followed a dark path? It’s ridiculous!” Perry was inflamed now. “Did you know that even as we speak Dumbledore has an ex-Death Eater under his wing at Hogwarts? A man that overheard part of the prophecy about you and ran straight to Voldemort to report it.”

“What!” Harry exploded. “He did what? But that’s why Voldemort came after my parents in the first place! He as good as killed them himself!”

“My thoughts exactly,” Perry agreed. “Anyway, this Death Eater didn’t realise who the prophecy related to, and when he learnt your mother was involved he became racked with grief. He apparently was quite sweet on your mother when they were at school and begged Voldemort not to kill her. When that didn’t work, he went to Dumbledore and offered to become a spy in return for his help protecting Lilly. Of course, you know how well that worked out. While this Death Eater didn’t kill your parents directly like Voldemort or betray their location like Sirius Black, he’s still the one who made your parents targets in the first place.”

“What’s this man’s name?” Harry asked.

“Severus Snape,” Perry replied.

“Snape,” Harry repeated his voice as cold as ice. “I’ll remember that name. And one day I’ll kill him.”

“Now, Harry, don’t be so quick to start talking about killing. I haven’t put all this time and effort into raising you just for you to turn into a murderer.” Nick frowned at him. “While I agree the man deserves justice for his actions, everyone should at least receive a trial. Do not condemn him until you have heard the full story. You might find there are some unexpected twists in the tale.”

“Fair enough,” Harry sighed. In truth he didn’t want to kill anyone, not even Voldemort. Nick and Perry smiled at his apparent acceptance of the situation, but he felt uneasy. The conversation had left a bad taste in his mouth and he wondered what Dumbledore was up to. He had the distinct feeling that something bad was going to happen.

Sadly, he was proved right.


Reviews 733
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear