Search:

SIYE Time:6:55 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


When You Are Bored And Miss Home
By Milarqui

- Text Size +

Category: Animagus Challenge (2013-1), Animagus Challenge (2013-1)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: Comedy
Warnings: None
Rating: G
Reviews: 20
Summary: When Harry complains to Sirius about being bored, the man gives him a box full of books, amongst them one about becoming an Animagus. After an accident, Harry finds himself stuck in his Animagus form, and then it will be an adventure until he finds someone willing to change him back!
Hitcount: Story Total: 8637; Chapter Total: 2397





Author's Notes:
For those of you that are expecting a new chapter of Prodigy: Born Again, or Harry Potter and the Unexpected Visitor, I am sorry, but I have been stuck for some time because of several factors, chiefly among them my job, which keeps me quite busy for more than half of my waking hours, and then my studies, which also keep me busy the rest of the time. Hopefully, this will help you get over it.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 1
Boredom


Harry was bored. Boredom had assaulted him since he arrive to Privet Drive. He had also taken to reread his books, hoping to see something in them that might help him in his fight against Voldemort. Anything to keep his mind off boredom, Voldemort's return, boredom, Cedric's death and boredom. And not necessarily in that order.

He was also fed up with being at Privet Drive, with being isolated from the magical world save for a few letters from his friends and his godfather. Their letters contained little information, but they were still a small reprieve for him. He also wondered what his friends were doing now. If he knew them well, they were probably either doing homework (in which case, it would be about Hermione hounding Ron to finish his homework soon, and Ron replying that he still had the entire summer) or perhaps snogging (which was quite likely, given that he was sure those two would end up together, although he hoped to never see that happening, because, you know, it would be like seeing someone kiss his sister. Eww).

Three weeks into the summer holidays, he received a small package carried by Pigwidgeon, Ron's owl. As soon as he took it off the owl, the package grew until it had the size of a small trunk.

Self-sizing charm? Harry thought. He had heard about it, but had never seen it in action. He wondered who had done the charm. Hermione was out, since they weren't allowed to use magic out of school. Remus, maybe? Sirius had mentioned the werewolf a few times, and Harry guessed that Remus was, if not staying with Sirius, visiting with certain frequency.

He opened the trunk and saw it was full of books to the top, save for a piece of parchment and another package wrapped up in more parchment. Harry had mentioned a couple of times in his letters to Sirius about wanting to get some reading material, and probably this was his answer. Taking the first parchment, he saw it was a short letter from Sirius.

Hello, Harry!

When you get this letter, open the package and say my name. I swear you will like it.

Snuffles.


Intrigued, Harry opened the package, and saw it was a hand mirror. Was Sirius telling him something about trying to keep himself tidy? Perhaps it was some kind of prank to make him laugh? He would not put it past his godfather to make such a joke. However, he decided to play along. He doubted anything would actually happen, Sirius knew better than to provoke something like that while he was at Privet Drive.

“Sirius?” he asked.

The mirror's surface rippled, and went black for a few seconds. Wondering what was going on, Harry held the mirror, and suddenly Sirius' face was in it.

“Harry, I see you got my present,” the Animagus said, smiling.

“Sirius,” Harry said, finally getting a smile after so much time. “What is this, exactly?”

“It's a two-way mirror. Something your father and I used at school. Helped us talk with each other when we were serving detention in separate rooms. I found it a couple of days ago, and realised that you could use with some actual conversation, instead of some letters. Also with some extra books for you to read, since you were so interested in those. Though, why reading? During your summer holidays?”

“It's not as if there is something better to do, Padfoot,” Harry said. “And even if I were there, I'd make sure to leave Ron and Hermione alone, wouldn't want to interrupt their time together.”

Sirius chuckled. “Yeah, I wouldn't want to do that either. They remind me a bit of your parents, you know. All that arguing and some name-calling each other, you'd swear they would never fit together, but then they started to go out together and it turned out to be that it was the way they dealt with their feelings before acknowledging them. So, anything you want to learn specially?”

“Yes. I want to see if I can learn how to become an Animagus, like you. Might be useful if Voldemort comes after me again. Imagine that I knock him a bit loose, transform into a lion and tear him into pieces.”

“You do know it is a lot of work, right? And that dealing with this and your O.W.L.s won't be easy?”

“You and Dad did it in your fifth year.”

“Yes, but only after two years of very hard work. It wasn't easy to control it, and we also had to be very careful, because any mistake we made would not be easy to fix without going to the healer, and seeing the healer meant we would get caught. Sure, James was a master of Transfiguration, but even he had his limits. Also, it is a dangerous thing, you risk losing yourself to your animal form, or getting stuck in your form.

“Though, I admit that the advantages are great, because, since you are merging yourself with the animal, you gain some of the animal's abilities, and that improves as you use your Animagus form. You won't believe how irritating it was when I got Padfoot's smell sense, I could barely get through Potions' classes after that.”

Harry snorted.

“Anyway, what I am telling you, is that you should not do this on your own, especially since you are there with no wizards around to reverse any possible changes. When you get here, why don't you try to do it with your friends? It might actually help you if you ever get in one of those adventures that tend to find you.”

“Sure. Why not? They'll probably like to try as well.”

~~~~Animagus~~~~Animagus~~~~An imagus~~~~Animagus~~~~

That night, Harry awoke from a nightmare. Bleary eyed, he looked at the repaired clock at his bedside, and saw it was 2 AM. Knowing it would take him some time to fall asleep again, and wishing to do something useful with his time before getting sleepy again, he decided to search in the trunk for a book. Finding the one about becoming an Animagus, he started to read it.

Apparently, there were several methods that could be used to become an Animagus, depending on how you wanted to do it or how powerful you were. One of the methods was to use a special potion, made of many ingredients, which forced your change into the animal form that best suited you. It was the easiest way, but making the potion was a very long term affair, and it prevented you from choosing any of the other possibilities that could suit you.

The second method was a combination of two charms. The first charm allowed you to see the possible animals you could become, and depending on how intense the image was, it told you how easy it would be to become that animal. The second charm was one you had to make yourself, consisting of a long sentence describing your animal and how it related to you. The main disadvantage of this was that it required you to have deep knowledge of Latin, which Harry did not have. He wondered why they didn't teach Latin at Hogwarts. It could be really useful to know it.

The third method seemed to be the most complicated, but certainly the most interesting. It consisted of meditating and allowing yourself to find all of your animals within you, from which you could choose the one you felt was more akin to you. There were even some tales about people who tried to do this, and ended up being a strange mixture of one or more animals (these were done to explain the existence of the hippogriff, the manticore and other magical creatures that looked like a mismatched mix of normal animals), a few of those tales even making it into the Muggle world before the Magicals did their best to prevent them from being told.

Also, the meditation method was said to have a few more advantages. For example, if you were powerful enough, you could actually have two Animagus forms, although this was something that had only happened thrice in thousands of years, one of them being Merlin himself. It was also good, because meditation happened to be one of the ways to train for something called Occlumency, a method to shield your mind from potential Legilimencers, people that could use a spell to “read” other people's minds (now that he read about it, he supposed that maybe this was how Snape always seemed to read his thoughts), which could also help to concentrate more and have a better capacity to retain memories.

“Might as well as try this thing,” Harry thought. If anything, it might actually help to calm down before trying to go to sleep again. It was not as if he was going to actually find his form (or forms) that day, much less transform.
Reviews 20
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear