Search:

SIYE Time:10:50 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Heart of the Hero
By Jeograph

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Oliver Wood, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: General
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 206
Summary: Dumbledore is gone, or is he? Harry feels the weight of the world rests on his shoulders, but he is soon to learn that his brooding nature and desire to face his fate alone may be his greatest weakness. It is his emotions, or rather his capacity for emotion that makes him strong, and his relationships his greatest source of strength.

When the summer begins and he faces a fortnight with the Dursleys everything he knows, or rather thinks he knows comes into question. Can he... should he do this all alone? And is he anywhere near ready?

Hogwarts is to be re-opened, the Ministry officially endorsing it as the safest possible place to be. As his birthday approaches there are monumental surprises in store for Harry. Who is he really? And what about his family, who came before his mother and father? Why is the Potter name so famous, and yet so unknown?

Encouraged not to run off to face his fate he returns to Hogwarts for his final year, but surprises abound at the school as well.

Can Harry become the wizard he needs to be to face the Dark Lord? Will he let the people he respects and love really help him? And what of help from unexpected sources; sources he might never trust?


Hitcount: Story Total: 118361; Chapter Total: 3312
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Not much to say here, except a big thanks as always to my Beta readers, Arnel and SeekersDestiny. Unbelievable turn around time! Thank you so much!! Also, thanks to B. Hanzel for additional proof reading and further edits! You guys are the best!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twenty-Five
Summer's End



Following the successful destruction of the locket Horcrux, the mood at the Manor had improved considerably. Everyone seemed to be in high spirits and optimism seemed to pervade their thoughts. There had been some talk about the remaining Horcruxes. Harry had talked about finding the cup of Hufflepuff, which was the only additional Horcrux they knew exactly. There were of course two more beyond the cup, but they could only make educated guesses about what they were.

Dumbledore insisted that they were most likely objects which once belonged to the founders, something of Rowena Ravenclaw's, and something of Godric Griffyndor's but beyond that was mere guesswork.

Luna, after some thought, suggested two possibilities for something of Rowena Ravenclaw's. First, there was a jeweled peacock brooch which was present in several images of the founders. The brooch was kept in a secure display case near the entrance to the Ravenclaw common room, and therefore was a likely possibility. Dumbledore admitted that he had forgotten all about the brooch and had not checked it. He expressed doubt that Tom would choose something quite so obvious. The second was Rowena's lost diadem, an object which had gone missing many years ago, and would prove much more difficult to locate. Though, as it had been missing since before Tom Riddle's time at Hogwarts it seemed a less likely candidate.

Dumbledore had a theory that, since he had, in his own mind, ruled out any remaining artifacts of Godric Griffyndor, one of the remaining Horcruxes could be something else. He favored the idea that it could well be Nagini, as the snake seemed never to be too far apart from its master.

Harry didn't entirely like this theory; mostly, because it meant that at least one of the Horcruxes would have had to be created after Voldemort obtained his present form. Harry favored the idea that all intended Horcruxes were in place before Voldemort would have come for him on the night that his parents had been killed.

Whatever the case, any debate was set aside a few days later when Lupin and Tonks returned from their honeymoon in Muggle London. They had a wonderful time and returned laden with boxes and bags of mostly clothing that Tonks had spent much of the gifted money on. She had been particularly taken with the theatre and they had gone to several plays during their ten days away. Neither of them had ever spent so much time exploring Muggle London and they had lots and lots to share.

Remus was particularly keen on the number of Muggle restaurants they had visited and suggested that they should all begin to expand their palates to explore what was available outside the largely traditional Wizarding world. He specifically mentioned the wide influence of Indian cuisine on the present day Muggle palate, something almost completely missed in the Wizarding world, and he was absolutely exuberant over something he called pizza, which Harry had some understanding of, as it had been a particular favorite of his cousin Dudley's. It was some sort of Italian dinner pie with tomato sauce, meat and cheese. His aunt always kept a few frozen for Dudley to have, but Harry thought the flat frozen, sparsely topped concoction usually looked completely unappetizing, so he didn't fully understand Remus' excitement. Lupin promised that he would be doing some research and would recreate the item for them soon.

True to her word, Alex Burgestikoff departed the Manor the morning after the Lupins returned. She left an envelope with Remus, of instructions on how to contact her, for Charlie and Helena upon their return. Her goodbye was short and to the point. She expressed her great joy at being given the opportunity to work with Harry and company, thanked Harry specifically for his generous hospitality, handed him her false galleon, and wished them all well into the future. Then she stepped from Manor to Burrow, and was gone.

Lupin offered to continue the morning practice sessions, but Harry said it was time to just enjoy the summer for what remained of it. In just ten days they would be getting on the Hogwarts Express and returning to another term at school. While this was something to look forward to they also needed to do a bit of prep as well. Chiefly, if Harry was to be the captain of this year’s Gryffindor Quidditch team, and Ginny his vice-captain, then they needed to get in some practice and start doing some planning.

Ron was completely excited about spending his remaining days of summer on the pitch, and Hermione made no objection as several crates of books had arrived as the first shipment of her library orders. She had an entire research agenda set forth and relished undisturbed library time. For her part, Luna merely smiled and volunteered to assist Hermione with the book sorting.

Harry, Ron and Ginny spent that afternoon, mostly in the locker rooms unpacking and sorting the remaining, new Quidditch equipment. They used the delivery crates to repack the old equipment so that Harry could eventually donate it to the Quidditch Museum. They did manage a lively game of tag that lasted until the sun had dropped low in the sky and Ron's stomach absolutely insisted that it was past dinner time.

The next day passed much the same, with Harry, Ron and Ginny at the pitch, Hermione in the library, and Luna wandering about the Manor and surrounding grounds. She had even begun to wander off into the woods a bit, as she often did at Hogwarts.

Sunday, Molly Weasley insisted that they should all gather at the Burrow for a Sunday afternoon barbeque. Owing to the fact that there were only two Sundays remaining before the start of school, she was desperate to reinstate the traditional practice of a Weasley Sunday gathering. The twins made it, as did Percy and Penelope, but with the two older boys still away on honeymoon, Molly didn't seem quite as pleased as she might have been. Molly occupied the girls in the kitchen with preparation of side dishes and puddings, while Arthur managed steaks, chicken and vegetables on the grill.

Lupin strained the twins’ and Arthur's ears with his continuous talk about his discovery of pizza and his promises to recreate it, which Arthur seemed quite intrigued with, given his intense curiosity about all things Muggle. It also seemed to capture the twins’ curiosity. They enjoyed a wonderful meal, good conversation and an all over feeling of family. Harry and Ginny had even managed a cautious visit to see Kyne and Hedwig.

After dinner they were surprised when Percy and Penelope interrupted the gathering to announce their engagement. Percy had finally summoned the courage the night before to ask, and Penelope had unsurprisingly accepted. They explained that it was their intention to hold off any formal wedding until the next spring, or summer, but they would be taking the untraditional route of pre-wedding co-habitation. This made the traditionalist in Molly Weasley scoff just a little, until they also mentioned that they had now experienced the 'bonding', which somehow made it okay, even for Molly. Overall the announcement was met by all as a joyous reason to celebrate. As if the twins had needed any excuse to pull out the bottles of Firewhisky concealed in their robes.

Before the twins could un-stopper the bottles however, Remus and Tonks interrupted for an announcement of their own. "Excuse me, my friends," Remus began, "It pleases me more than I can tell you that you so fully include Nymphadora and myself as friends." The use of Tonks' proper name earned him an elbow to the ribs, though only lightly. "We consider you all our friends as well and we cannot thank you enough for all your encouragement, help and support in making it possible for us to come together and finally properly wed."

George interrupted, "You're welcome, Remus, glad to do it," he said genuinely.

Fred continued, "You're sounding a bit like Percy with that preamble, just get on with it, what's news?"

"I'm pregnant!" Tonks blurted out.

"Aw ha!" George exclaimed. "Now we have two very good reasons to raise a glass!" He pulled the stopper on his bottle and started to pour. They enjoyed a couple of shots to commemorate the evening’s news, and thereafter the twins had to manufacture additional things to drink to; which, wasn't difficult as the twins would drink to absolutely anything once they had gotten started.

As the evening progressed Harry was in his own way pleased to learn that Remus and Tonks intended to begin a search for a place of their own to live. They favored a location in or near London, but feared they would not be able to afford it especially since more space would be required by the addition of a baby.

As the evening wore on a fire was started and as always the Weasley clan and their guests had a wonderful time together deep into the evening. Sometime after sunset Percy and Penelope excused themselves to return to their now mutual home, and after that Remus and Tonks were the next to depart. Harry didn't care to depart, mostly because he knew when he returned to the Manor to sleep, Ginny would not be coming with him, and he was finding that notion harder and harder to bear.

Eventually however, Mrs. Weasley called an end to the gathering and shooed them all off to there respective abodes. Arthur accompanied the twins home to make sure they arrived safely owing to the state they were in. Harry, Ron and Hermione bid goodbye to everyone and made their short trek through the pantry door.

The very next day in the early afternoon, the honeymooners returned. They were excited and full of stories and there was an impromptu dinner in the manor sitting room to welcome them all back. Mrs. Weasley was very excited to have her sons back, even though they had only been away a short while. Fleur and Helena were now her daughters, and regardless of anything she had ever thought prior to the weddings, she had completely accepted this fact and was just as eager to see them, greeting them with the very same hugs reserved for her children.

It hit Harry in that moment that both he and Hermione were recipients of those very same hugs. The notion made him feel warm inside.

Harry smiled at Ginny who was curled next to him on the sofa with her hand in his, as she listened to her siblings tell them all about the Canary Islands. She returned Harry's smile in a casual way that was, to Harry, complex, deep, and in short, anything but casual. Something stirred in Harry and he suddenly found himself indulging a train of thought he normally preferred to actively avoid. It was an idea. An idea of after. That there would be an after, and in that after, there would be a Harry and Ginny, and from them there would be life, and happiness, and family. He saw, in his mind, the two of them, with an infant, a black haired infant with bright hazel eyes, a perfect blending of his green, with Ginny's light brown. And though the train of thought derailed quickly under the weight of reality, Harry indulged it nonetheless, daring to believe that it could be a possibility.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


On Wednesday several more crates arrived, filled with additional library books. Along with a sealed folder for Harry from Mr. Prächt, and a letter from Headmistress McGonagall, requesting that Harry and Hermione come to the school that noon. The letter explained that she would unlock the Floo connection between her office and the Burrow at the appropriate time.

During their morning practice, both Ron and Ginny seemed a little put out that they were not invited, but a good workout quieted them down considerably. Harry, was in a great mood and he put them through their paces, thoroughly proving that he could play Chaser any time as he darted and weaved and passed intentionally inaccurate Quaffles to force Ginny to adapt and push herself. Then he would wink and together they would rush the goal posts, keeping Ron on the edge of his broom. By eleven o'clock they were drenched and tired, and ready to hit the showers. Ron and Harry chose to shower in the locker room, but Ginny, by order of her mother, returned to the Burrow for her shower.

They all gathered at the Burrow for a quick lunch while waiting for Hermione and Harry's departure.

Promptly at noon, Harry and Hermione stepped to the Burrow fireplace and each gathering a pinch of Floo powder, one after the other called out, “Headmistress Office, Hogwarts.”

Headmistress McGonagall was there to greet them as they arrived, along with Deputy Headmistress Sprout and Stephen Cornfoot, the Ravenclaw seventh year who had been named Head Boy. Quick introductions were made, though that was merely formality, as they were all at least acquainted.

"Thank you both for coming on such short notice," the Headmistress began. "It has been a hectic summer. Far too much to accomplish and so little time."

"It has indeed," Harry agreed.

"Normally, the Head Boy and Girl would come for an entire day of orientation prior to the start of term," Pomona Sprout said. "But, if it is agreeable we will condense that into this afternoon."

Stephen and Hermione, both turned and nodded to the Professor.

"Very good," Sprout intoned, "Now if the two of you will kindly follow me." She turned, heading for the door. Hermione and Stephen both followed her. "We will begin with living quarters, as you may know the Head Boy and Girl each are afforded a private space..." She talked them out to the hallway and beyond. The office door swung closed behind them. Harry watched them as they left.

Harry turned back to Headmistress McGonagall, who had seated herself at the desk. The room had changed considerably, reflecting her new appointment. Many of the familiar devices had been replaced by new personal items, some of which Harry remembered from McGonagall's former office. Fawkes' perch was missing, and many of the portraits had been rearranged. A new portrait of Dumbledore was present on the wall behind the desk, but the figure within seemed to be sleeping soundly in its chair.

McGonagall took note of Harry's eyes scanning the room and landing finally on the former Headmaster's portrait. "Please sit, Mr. Potter," she said politely, gesturing to the chairs in front of the desk. Harry slipped quickly in to one of them. "Albus has been asleep as you see him ever since his portrait appeared. All attempts to wake him have been for naught," she gestured to the sleeping figure. "This concerned me greatly at first, as his council would be invaluable. Though, I have been informed, through my contacts in the Order, that there is a reason for this." She stated.

"Yes, Headmistress," Harry replied, "We anticipated your interest." Harry retrieved the Chocolate Frog Card Base from his jeans pocket and set it on the headmistress' desk. He then retrieved the card from his shirt pocket and handed it to the Headmistress.

McGonagall turned the card over in her hand examining it. One eyebrow raised in confusion.

"Place it in the base, Headmistress," Harry guided.

Understanding dawned as she spied the slot in the base and carefully dropped the card into it. The little image of Dumbledore on the card animated. "Minerva," Dumbledore said, "It is a distinct pleasure to see you once more."

"Likewise, Albus," McGonagall replied. "This is simply ingenious. However did you accomplish this magic?" She asked curiously.

"The how, can be saved for another time," Dumbledore said. "Suffice to say, I desired to continue to be present for young Harry's sake. Though, I hardly think 'young' is still an appropriate descriptive of our Mr. Potter."

Minerva cast an appraising look at Harry, and nodded to the card.

"I have asked Harry to leave me with you, at least until the new term begins in a few days," Dumbledore said. "I suspect there are many things you would like to discuss."

"Indeed," Minerva responded. "Now, however, I have school matters for Mr. Potter elsewhere in the castle. What is the protocol, do I leave this card in place when unattended, or remove it?" she asked.

"Best to remove it," Dumbledore answered.

"Very well," Minerva responded, "I look forward to speaking with you again very soon."

"I as well, Minerva," Dumbledore said congenially. She reached forward and plucked the card from the base, setting it gently on the desk.

She rose from her chair. "Now, Mr. Potter, you should join the others in the Great Hall." She stepped around the desk motioning for Harry to follow and stepped toward the door.

Once they were down the steps and heading toward the dining hall, Harry spoke up. "Others?" He questioned.

"Yes," the Headmistress replied as she continued walking briskly. "The other house Quidditch captains are waiting for us. As a group you have a number of matters to discuss and work out."

Harry shot her a questioning look as he increased his pace to keep up with the long legged Headmistress.

"As you are aware, during the summer, Beauxbatons Academy was destroyed." she cast him a sidelong glance which silently said, please keep up.

"Yes, Headmistress," Harry answered.

"As a consequence, Hogwarts has agreed to take on a large number of Beauxbatons' students this term," she said, "A new site has already been chosen for the Academy, and construction will begin shortly, but that is expected to take at least a couple of years. Under a special agreement, any Beauxbatons fifth thru seventh year students who attend Hogwarts will be accommodated by the temporary creation of a new Beauxbatons House, in an unused portion of the Eastern tower. Any younger students will be sorted into houses accordingly, by the Sorting Hat. Our staff will be joined by two Beauxbatons' instructors who will oversee educational concerns for these older students, and a number of Beauxbatons' house-elves have come to take care of the needs of the new house, and address the diet considerations of the French students," she paused. "I suspect meals will be a new adventure here at Hogwarts, Mr. Potter. I hope you enjoy French cuisine."

It was not really a question, but Harry answered anyway. "I do, actually," he said. "So, what has this got to do with me?" He probed carefully.

"Quidditch, Mr. Potter," she said as though it should have been obvious. "A fifth house, means a fifth Quidditch team, which means a new game schedule, as well as a new division of practice time. All of which I expect to be amicably worked out by the team captains."

They arrived at the Great Hall, and entered as the doors swung open for them. Awaiting them inside were the other four Quidditch captains, three of which, Harry was at least, acquainted with. Amanda Barrett, Hufflepuff; Aaron Cadwallader, Ravenclaw; and Maxwell Flint, Slytherin. Harry was not at all surprised by these choices. However, the French boy, was a complete unknown.

They were all huddled around a number of parchments laid out on a small round table set up at the far end of the hall. As Harry and McGonagall approached they all stood and faced them.

The Headmistress made quick introductions. "Mr. Potter, you know Miss Barrett, Mr. Cadwallader, and Mr. Flint. May I introduce you to Monsieur Jean-Pierre Lesauvage, Captain of the Beauxbatons Quidditch team," she gestured to the boy. "Monsieur Lesauvage, Mr. Harry James Potter."

The French boy stepped forward formally, and presented his hand. Harry shook the offered hand briskly, at the same time doing a visual appraisal. He was certain Lesauvage was doing the same.

Lesauvage was smaller than Harry, but he looked lean and wiry. He was half a head shorter, but, by his stance, clearly not lacking confidence. He wore his blonde hair cut short in back, but long in the front and swept to the side with the tips blackened. The angle of his hair accentuated his narrow, sharp face and his blue eyes made him look slightly unreal, like they too must have had color added. "So, I am given to understand yours is the team to beat," Lesauvage said evenly. He gave the clear impression he was unimpressed with his competition. His English was flawless with barely an accent.

Harry smiled slightly, tempted to say something snarky, but thought better of it. "Actually, this is a rebuilding year for each of the house teams, so which team will ultimately win is far from certain."

"Is it?" the French boy chided. He smirked as he stepped back from the handshake. "But, you like your chances?"

Harry saw arrogance in that smirk, and it was as though a clear challenge had been laid before him. "Yes," he said, responding with a barely noticeable edge to his voice, "I like our chances."

The boy locked eyes with Harry for just a moment. "I think I shall like you, Harry Potter."

Harry knew that was never going to happen.

The Headmistress interrupted. "Now that introductions have been made, I trust the five of you can work out a schedule." Harry recognized the tone. It was not a request, it was simple expectation. "The calendars on the table are marked with all available game dates and practice slots. As you know, I take Quidditch a bit more seriously than my predecessor, so this year I hope to achieve full regulation play. With a bit of luck I hope to secure a donor to provide all new brooms and equipment." She smiled a little in spite of herself. "So I will leave you five to agree on the details while I go and join the Head Boy and Girl in their orientation." She turned on her heel, not waiting for a response and strode to the door.

A couple of hours later they had hammered out a schedule and all seemed pleased with their slots. They each copied out the whole schedule for their own use and made one more to give to the Headmistress.

"Well, that wasn't too bad," Aaron Cadwallader said as he completed the last box of his schedule.

"And none too soon," Amanda Barrett, chimed in, "I really should be headed home." She was glancing at her Muggle style wrist watch.

Lesauvage, gathered up the extra set of schedules, "Shall we deliver these to the Headmistress together?" he asked, though it was directed at Harry.

"You all go ahead. I am going to wait for Hermione,” Harry said.

"Please yourself, Potter," Maxwell Flint said with typical Slytherin disdain. He was already headed for the doors. The others followed him. Only Amanda turned and gave a kindly wave. "Okay, good to see you, Harry, I'll look forward to seeing you again on Monday for start of term," she said brightly.

"Bye, Amanda," Harry said rather absently.

Realizing that Hermione could potentially be a few more hours, he pulled himself up from his chair and headed out of the Great Hall. He loitered in the Entrance Hall for a minute, deciding how he should fill his time as he waited for Hermione to finish.

A glint of light caught his eye and he turned toward the niches that contained the house point hour glasses. They all stood there polished and sparkling, ready for the beginning of term. Gryffindor, the upper bulb filled with glistening rubies, Ravenclaw with sapphires, Slytherin with emeralds and Huffelpuff with citrine. A fifth one had appeared, this one was filled with aquamarine, clearly to represent the powder blue of House Beauxbatons. Harry mused; having this fifth house at Hogwarts is certainly going to stir things up a bit, and well beyond the Quidditch pitch.

He turned after a moment and headed out the main doors into the sunlight. He thought at first he might head down to the pitch, but when he headed that direction he suddenly realized that he was coming very near the spot where Dumbledore's funeral had been held. Thoughts of that day flooded his mind. He had been so certain of his path at that time, certain he had to leave the school, certain he had to go it alone, and certain he had to give up his relationship with Ginny. So much had changed in just a few short months. How foolish he had been to not realize then how much stronger he could become by not giving up those very things. He smiled to himself.

He looked at the spot where the white tomb had manifested itself, and was not at all surprised that it was no longer present. Surely it had been moved to a more fitting location, perhaps one of the small islands just off the shore. Harry thought he would have to ask were it was. Then another thought occurred to him and he turned around, heading toward Hagrid's hut.

As he hurried his pace, he remembered that it had been burned to the ground and he began to jog with more urgency, needing suddenly to see that the structure had been rebuilt. As he approached over the slight rise his heart began to pound with anticipation until he reached the apex and could see down the slope that Hagrid's hut was indeed still present, rebuilt good as new with fresh timbers.

As he jogged across the field and found the path proper, he hailed the house. "Hagrid?" He called. "Hagrid?"

A large ugly boulder-like head appeared over the roof of the hut from the opposite side and blinked at him. Harry realized it was Grawp, and a moment later Hagrid appeared from behind the hut, a huge garden spade in hand, with Grawp stepping heavily behind him. "Harry? … Harry Potter? … Well, I'll be a short-haired Kneazel kit. Harry, it's so good ter see yer," Hagrid greeted him.

Harry ran up to him and embraced him in a light hug. Even at his full height of six feet Harry didn't come entirely up to his chest. "Good to see you too, Hagrid!" Harry exclaimed.

Harry stepped back and looked up at the scrunched face of the small giant, who was squinting at him and looked quite like his brain somehow hurt. Harry waved. "Hello, Grawp," Harry said.

Grawp blinked, several times. "Grawpy," Hagrid called loudly. "You remember Harry, don'cha? My good friend, Harry Potter?"

Recognition slowly showed in the giant's eyes. "Friend, 'Arry," Grawp said finally, his low booming voice vibrating through Harry.

"Tha's right Grawpy," Hagrid praised. "Harry is our friend."

There was a deep bark beyond the pumpkin patch and Harry turned in time to see Fang running at him. He braced himself as the great boarhound, tail wagging, leapt at him and nearly knocked him over in excited greeting. After several slobbery licks to the face Harry managed to get him to sit, and stroked his head calmingly. Hagrid produced a polka-dotted handkerchief from beneath his leather work apron and offered it to Harry to wipe his face and glasses. The poor dog showed a great number of burn spots in his coat, but it looked like the fur was beginning to grow back nicely.

"So, wha'cha doin' 'ere, Harry?" Hagrid asked, "Not that I ain't glad to see yer."

"Headmistress McGonagall asked me to come meet with the other Quidditch captains and set the game schedule," Harry explained. "Hermione is here as well. She is having Head Girl orientation, so I thought I would wait for her."

"Tha's grand. I always knew Hermione was Head Girl material, saw it right from the start," Hagrid said. "Le's get you something ter drink, ay? How 'bout a nice tankard of Butterbeer?" Hagrid moved toward the rear of the new hut where a pyramid of large oak barrels was neatly stacked. He scooped up a tin tankard, filled it from the tapped barrel and offered it to Harry. Then he filled a bucket sized tankard for himself. Finally he pulled the barrel down, pulled out the tap and picking up a mallet, tapped off the metal edge ring so he could remove the circular top. "Her yer go, Grawpy," he said. The giant reached for the barrel and raised the whole like a glass, swigging noisily. "Go easy with that, Grawpy," Hagrid cautioned. The giant belched loudly in reply and wiped at his enormous grin with his free arm. He stepped back and sat down against a tree, shaking the earth and causing the bough of the tree to groan against his weight.

They sat in the shade, sipping their Butterbeer and visiting.

After about an hour of rather aimless conversation, most of which centered around how improved Grawp's behavior had become, they did some lazy work in Hagrid's garden.

Just as Harry was beginning to think it might be time to leave, Hagrid came around to the topic of Quidditch and told Harry about the improvements to the pitch that the Headmistress had ordered in preparation for the new term.

Before Harry excused himself to return to the castle, he asked Hagrid if he might have a spare bit of parchment and a quill.

Hagrid retrieved the items from inside the hut and handed them to Harry.

Harry began to scrawl a quick note. Once he was satisfied with what he had written he rolled the note tightly.

"And, wha's this all this about?" Hagrid questioned.

"Just something the Headmistress said about needing some new Quidditch equipment," Harry replied. Hagrid smiled as though he didn't quite understand, but he didn't ask further.

Harry said his goodbyes and waving as he went, headed back toward the castle. He went back through the castle to the courtyard, crossed to the bridge, and headed off toward the Owlery.

Harry entered the Owlery from the narrow stairs and waved the parchment note. "Who wants to deliver a letter?" he asked. There was a small box with spare string and ribbons, and Harry chose a thin leather tie. There were only the Hogwarts owls present, and it seemed they were not particularly interested. "Hogwarts business," he said finally, and a large tawny owl leapt from its perch, swopping down to alight in the window. It offered its leg. Harry tied on the note and stroking the owl's breast feathers, whispered a destination to the bird.

With a great flapping of its wings the bird set off from the tower window.

Harry turned to leave and heard Hermione calling from the base of the steps.

He quickly descended the stairs and joined her.

"I saw you crossing the courtyard, Harry," Hermione said, "I tried to wave you down, but you didn't see me."

"Sorry, Hermione," Harry replied, "I guess I was intent on what I was doing."

"What were you doing?" Hermione asked curiously, "Who would you be sending a letter to from Hogwarts?"

"Oh, it was nothing, Hermione" Harry said, leading her back the way he had come. "Let's just say, I decided on a bit of anonymous generosity, and leave it at that."

Hermione shot him an odd look, but let the matter drop. Harry told Hermione about Hagrid's rebuilt hut and Grawp's new manners, as they returned to the Headmistress' office.

They said their goodbyes and were soon back at the Burrow.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


Harry came to breakfast the next morning carrying the leather folder from Mr. Prächt. Ginny and Luna came from the Burrow, and Tonks and Lupin joined them as well. After they all had their fill they came around to the topic of what to do for the day.

"I have an idea," Harry said a bit excitedly. He stood up from his seat and picked up the leather folder.

"Okay, let's hear it," Tonks said. "And, what's with the folder, Harry?"

"Oh, you'll find out soon enough," he said with a grin. "But first I have something to show you. If you will all follow me." He headed for the door toward the main hallway and led them all toward the closet used to cross to the Burrow.

When they arrived, Jarphred was standing at the open doorway, the blue lattice of the Portis Omnibus already present in the frame. Harry gestured them all to the door.

"What's with all the mystery?" Remus asked as he stepped over the threshold.

On the other side they emerged in to a bright hallway.

"Oh, Harry, have the elves finished?" Luna exclaimed.

"Yes, the last just during the night," Harry replied.

Lupin and Tonks looked confused as they took in the fresh white walls and immaculately refinished woodwork. "Where on earth are we, Harry?" Tonks questioned as she poked her head into one of the now empty rooms.

"What are you up to, Harry?" Remus questioned suspiciously. Harry just grinned.

Tonks stepped to the stairwell and looking up and down, said. "This is a gorgeous house, Harry, and a big one at that."

"Feel free to take a look around," Harry said. Remus continued to look at him dubiously.

They poked around in the bedrooms of the first floor as they made their way down to the ground level. In the bright entryway, Tonks did an excited turn on the restored stone tiled floor. She still hadn't figured out where they were, but it was clear on her face that she loved the space. Remus, however had finally put two and two together. "Harry, this isn't … Is this Grimmauld place?" He asked.

Tonks stopped dead at the mention of the address and turned frightfully toward the spot where the portrait of Walburga Black should have been. "It can't be!" she exclaimed in disbelief.

"Yes it is," Harry said with a Cheshire grin.

"How did you mange to remove the portrait?" Remus asked.

"That was easy once we found the anchor for the Permanent Sticking Charm," Harry replied. "I had the elves move it to the attic along with all the other remaining Black possessions."

Tonks headed for the back hall door. "This looks like a completely different house, Harry!" She said.

They followed her down to the basement where they discovered Kreacher puttering about, laying out trays of cakes and tea. The new stainless steel appliances had been installed and connected making the whole room look more-or-less like a modern upscale Muggle kitchen.

"Good morning, Master Harry," Kreacher intoned happily.

Ginny went to examine the Muggle appliances. She turned one of the knobs on the four burner gas cook top, and the burner burst to a controlled flame. Then she poked her head in to the doors of the side-by-side refrigerator/freezer. “How did you get these Muggle units to work Harry?”

"They come that way from the Wizarding shop that sells them. The charms that control the pilot light on the stove, and the temperature and lights of the fridge have to be renewed periodically, but there are instructions," He explained.

"Fridge?" Ron asked curiously.

"That's a Muggle sort of cold cupboard," Hermione explained patiently. Ron nodded as he took a seat at the table and reached for cake from the tray.

The others sat down as well, each taking a cup of tea, but mostly they were all still full from breakfast.

"You've given the whole place a new life, Harry," Remus said, "But what are you going to do with it?"

"When my godfather left me this house and all of the possessions of the Black Family, I suspect he did so because he thought I might need it to get on in life," Harry started. "But that was before we knew any different, before we knew of the Manor and of my inheritance from my own blood family," he paused. "Sirius did it in an attempt to protect and provide for me." A tear began to form in Harry's eye. "He didn't know it wasn't necessary – Had he known, I believe he would have left all this to a member of his own family, or simply let them fight over it, as one last barb." Harry slid the leather folder across the table in front of Tonks. "But, I like to think he might have left it all to you. To a blood relative."

Tonks opened the folder and drew out a sheaf of parchment, and a brass Gringotts vault key.

"Call it another wedding present if you want, but I believe all of this, and the wealth of the Black family is yours by right," Harry said as he watched Tonks finger through the parchments. "All you need do is sign the paperwork."

"You don't have to do this, Harry," Remus said.

"You're right, of course, I don't have to – But, I want to – And it is the right thing to do," Harry said.

With tears in her eyes, Tonks ran across the room and pulled Harry into a crushing hug.

"Thank you, Harry," she said through grateful tears.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


"This cannot possibly be correct!" Hermione exclaimed as she examined the balance in the little ledger book the Gringotts' goblin had just handed her. The goblin seemed momentarily offended by the very notion but remained composed.

"I assure you, Miss Granger, the amount is quite correct," The goblin said.

"How can that possibly be, I did not have nearly that much in Muggle funds, perhaps you could explain the difference?" Hermione questioned cautiously, not wanting to offend the goblin further.

The goblin reached for the master ledger book which corresponded to Hermione's account and opened the large tome searching for the appropriate entries. "Ah, that would explain it," he mumbled to himself.

"Explain what?" Hermione demanded in spite of herself.

"I am not certain it is my place to explain, Miss Granger," The goblin said politely. The look on Hermione's face told him that would not be acceptable.

"Though, I suppose, there's nothing actually preventing me from doing so," he said, finally.

"Well then?" Hermione insisted.

"Yes, Miss Granger," The goblin continued. “Your transferred Muggle funds came in at, two thousand seven hundred, fifty-four pounds, thirty-eight pence. Less a twenty Galleon exchange fee, that came to five hundred thirty-three Galleons, one Sickle and fourteen Knuts. A note here in my ledger says that two months ago you accepted the position of personal librarian to the House of Potter. The wage for that position is one hundred Galleons per month, which accounts for an additional two hundred Galleons. And finally a second note states that you have been awarded a full scholarship, under the corporate sponsorship of one 'Royal Hart, International.' This scholarship includes all school tuition and fees paid directly to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, as well as a fifty Galleon books and sundries award and an annual living expense award of four hundred fifty Galleons. That brings your current account total to one thousand two hundred thirty-three Galleons, one Sickle and fourteen Knuts."

Hermione was dumbfounded. She had received no notice of the award of any scholarship, nor had Harry mentioned anything about paying her for ordering books for the manor. She was both touched, and quite angry simultaneously.

Still, one of her greatest personal concerns was suddenly lifted and she left the bank some ten minutes later with a full money purse, completely reassessing her mental list of things she intended to buy in preparation for the new school year.

To her surprise, Mrs. Weasley was waiting for her on the steps of the bank. "Hermione dear," Mrs. Weasley began, "there is something that I forgot to give to you earlier." She opened her purse and retrieved a letter, which she handed to Hermione. "It arrived at the house a couple of days ago. Apparently, it was sent by Muggle post to your parents’ home, and your father was able to arrange to forward it via his local contact at the Muggle Relations Office. I am so sorry dear, but it does look important. It is not just anyone who receives a letter from the Royal Hart Corporation."

"Did you say, 'Royal Hart', Mrs. Weasley?" Hermione looked at the letter in her hand.

"Yes, dear," Mrs. Weasley confirmed.

The envelope was of a heavy linen paper. In the upper left corner was an embossed logo. It was an R.H. in a heavy modern san-serif font with the silhouetted head of a magnificent stag reversed out of the letters. It was followed by the abbreviation intl., and below that was a London return address. It was hand addressed to Hermione Jean Granger, at her parent's post address.

Hermione knew immediately that it was an award letter for the scholarship she had just been told about in the bank. She stared at it.

"Aren't you going to open it, Hermione?" Molly asked, obviously curious about its contents herself.

"Mrs. Weasley. What do you know about Royal Hart International?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, nothing more than anyone else I suppose," Molly began. "They are one of the oldest, if not the oldest, Wizarding corporation in existence. They do business both in the Wizard and Muggle world. Many years ago, I think sometime in the sixteen hundreds, they generously endowed Hogwarts. Beyond that, I am not at all sure what any international corporation does."

Hermione smiled vaguely at Mrs. Weasley as she opened the envelope and pulled out a type written formal letter on embossed letterhead.


14 August 1997
To: Miss. Hermione Jean Granger

Miss Granger,
It is my great honor to inform you that you have been nominated by Minerva McGonagall, Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and chosen by special committee as the recipient of the Royal Hart Scholarship for Academic Excellence.

The RHSAE is awarded annually by the Royal Hart Foundation to the most accomplished, nominated, seventh year student at Hogwarts School. Nomination for this award must be forwarded to the committee by a Hogwarts professor, and the recipient is chosen by the committee based on academic standing, service to the school and acts of good citizenship.

Through arrangement with Gringott's Wizard Bank, funds for the scholarship shall be released immediately in the amounts described in the enclosed disbursement summation. Please contact Gringotts directly if you need to create or identify an appropriate account to receive the funds. All awards should be available for your use one week prior to start of the new term.

Once again, congratulations, and on behalf of the whole committee, thank you for giving us the rare, genuine opportunity to award this scholarship to a Gryffindor. For too long it seems the level of academic achievement, along with other qualifying characteristics has eluded all but the members of Ravenclaw House. Thank you for being an example of excellence.

Our congratulations as well for being named Head Girl.

Yours Sincerely,

Ambrose P. Kirkwood
Chairman, Scholarship committee
Royal Hart Foundation
London, England


Hermione examined the second page, which listed the award amounts and disbursement exactly as had been described to her in the bank. She quickly read the letter a second time.

"Well, Hermione?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"It seems I have been awarded a scholarship for my final year at Hogwarts." She paused, distracted as if she were doing math in her head. "Isn't it a bit odd that I didn't receive this news earlier?"

"Well, it was lost in the post dear," Molly offered explanation. "Tricky stuff when Muggle post has to be intercepted and forwarded."

"I suppose," Hermione half heartedly agreed. "But I wonder if Harry, with his new found wealth and fancy barrister, didn't have something to do with this." She handed the letter and envelope to Mrs. Weasley. "Look at that corporate logo. A stag head. If that doesn't scream Potter, I don't know what does."

Molly was confused by Hermione's apparent anger at receiving such positive news and dumbfounded by the idea that Harry could be its source. She handed the letter back to Hermione. "Well, I am certain, Hermione, if by any chance Harry is somehow behind this, it is something he felt was needed and well deserved. But, personally I think it merely a coincidence."

Hermione did not seem at all convinced. She folded the letter and pushed it into her handbag.

"Well now, the others have gone ahead to Madam Malkin's for new robes. Why don't we hurry along and meet them there?" Molly urged.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


Harry, Ginny, Ron and Luna had left the bank quickly as only Luna, Hermione and Mrs. Weasley had needed to withdraw funds, and only Hermione had been called into an office for a private conversation. Luna finished quickly at the teller's window and was ready to go, so Ron seized the opportunity to urge them all toward an unscheduled stop. Mrs. Weasley volunteered to wait for Hermione and meet them at Madam Malkin's.

Ron had led them quickly to Peninnah Promise and hurried them in to the shop. Harry and Ginny assumed this was about the charm for Ginny's bracelet, so they stepped up to the counter and Ginny pulled her vice-captain badge from her clutch.

“Welcome to Peninnah Promise, Fine Jewelry. How may I help you?” came the greeting from the handsome sales woman.

"We are here to place a custom order," Harry said.

"Very good, Mister Potter," the sales woman responded, "would you like to speak directly with one of our jewelers?"

"If that would be of no trouble," Harry responded.

"No trouble at all," she said as she stepped momentarily into a back room through an open archway. Ginny removed her bracelet and laid it carefully on a velvet pad in preparation, placing her badge next to it. "Someone will be with you momentarily, Mister Potter," she said as she returned. "Now, may I do anything for you, Mr. Weasley?"

A moment later a goblin appeared from the back room and came directly to Harry and Ginny. There was obviously some sort of ledge for him to stand on as he rose to their height as he approached. They became so engrossed in explaining what they wanted done that neither noticed Ron handing the sales woman a small pouch of coins, and later receiving a slip of paper in exchange.

The jeweler easily grasped Harry and Ginny's request and explained that he would be happy to do such a simple job directly. He said he would be able to have it for them within three hours, so they could pick it up before their day's shopping was complete. Satisfied that their business there was concluded they hurried off to Madam Malkin's.

Upon entering the robe shop they were excited to see a number of changes had been made to the premises in the wake of recent reconstruction in the Alley. Madam Malkin's had expanded, adding a section of Muggle-made and Muggle-styled clothing, as well as additional seamstresses and fitting stations. They had also added an Army section offering supplementary items and alterations for Army issue uniforms. The customers ahead of them, a couple of Army recruits, were just finishing their fittings so Ron, Ginny and Luna hopped up onto the fitting platforms, while the seamstresses pulled forward the wheeled racks of appropriate house robes.

The spring bell on the shop door sounded as Hermione and Mrs. Weasley entered the shop, whereupon Mrs. Weasley hurried back to the fitting stations to direct the seamstress that her children would be getting new robes this year and to push back the second hand racks of alterable hand-me-downs.

Hermione headed directly for Harry. She had been stewing the entire walk over, running possibilities in her head and she was about to burst. "Harry, how could you treat me like an employee? And how dare you go behind my back to arrange for all my financial problems to go away in one fell swoop. I have never asked for money and I don't want you thinking I need your charity. Oh, you are very smart, knowing I wouldn't take your money directly, so instead, Mr. Incredibly Wealthy, you make arrangements to cover my expenses through an elaborate ruse!" She thrust out her hand clutching the award letter.

The outburst attracted everyone's attention until Madam Malkin herself cast a Silencing Charm around Harry and Hermione, and with a, "Tut, tut, none of our business people," she quickly directed her seamstresses back to their measuring.

Taken back by Hermione's fervor, Harry responded in kind. "Hermione!" he exclaimed, "I haven't the least idea what you're talking about. What ruse? Just what're you accusing me of?" Hermione shook the letter at him and he took it, unfolding it calmly and reading it. Hermione stood there fuming.

Harry handed the letter back to Hermione. "Well, I would say congratulations Hermione, except you obviously feel something is amiss. I don't understand why you think I had anything to do with this."

Hermione thrust the letter's envelope into his face. "Royal Hart International?" Hermione said accusingly, "Look at that logo and tell me your family has nothing to do with it!"

Harry examined the logo and smiled. "Well, Hermione, you've got me," Harry conceded. "You've discovered my great secret." His tone changed quickly from conciliatory to angry. "There is indeed a connection between myself and Royal Hart International, I own it. A fact I myself have only been aware of since my birthday. With all that is going on right now, do you honestly think I would create such an elaborate ruse to give you money? I have plenty! More than I'll ever need in fact, and if you asked for some of it, I would give it to you in a heartbeat. But I know you Hermione, you wouldn't ask, and so I've never offered. Yes, I happen to own Royal Hart, but I've nothing to do with any operations of the company at this point. Perhaps some day in the future, but not now."

"Well, what about your private meetings with Mr. Prächt and all the quiet arrangements you've been making lately without telling us, like the refurbishing of Grimmauld place, whatever it is you know about Alex Burgestikoff's new job, or the secret letter you sent from Hogwarts! What did you call it? 'Anonymous generosity?'" Hermione accused further.

Harry was now matching her volume for volume. "Technically, I don't know anything about Alex's new job. Yes, I have a guess, but since she expressly said she was not at liberty to say, I felt it better to keep my opinions to myself. I'm sorry if that offends you! And, my 'anonymous generosity' at Hogwarts was to donate new Quidditch equipment to the school, which I didn't care to mention because … 'anonymous.'" Harry made quotes in the air for emphases as he said the word. "That, and every time I spend any money people seem to get mad at me! Just like you are now!"

"Okay, but what about paying me to be your librarian, something I thought I was doing as your friend." Harry was obviously surprised by this. "What am I, just another servant of the great House of Potter?" Hermione screamed at him.

Harry stood for a moment blank-faced, slowly turning purple with rage. He didn't know anything about this last accusation. For him, this argument had nothing to do with money, and everything to do with trust and friendship. He lashed out. "How could you think that, Hermione? How could you think any of it? I thought you were my friend!" he yelled back at her. "I guess I was mistaken!" He tossed the now crumpled envelope at her feet and stormed from the shop.

Hermione stood shaking and watched him leave.

Ginny, seeing the altercation unfold, had quickly freed herself of the robe that was being pinned in the back, and bolted after Harry. She stopped for a moment and locked eyes with Hermione. In that instant the raging fire in Ginny's eyes caused Hermione's anger to turn to fear. As the shop door slammed behind Ginny, Hermione bent down and retrieved the envelope at her feet. The others had all gathered around her. She could barely speak, but managed a worried, "What have I done?" Ron drew her into a hug.

Molly turned to the seamstresses and Madam Malkin, and asked if they might have a few minutes of privacy. Madam Malkin nodded and directed her employees to the back room. "Now, how about you explain yourself, Hermione," Mrs. Weasley said calmly.

Hermione handed the letter to Mrs. Weasley and quickly explained what had happened and her reasoning for coming to her conclusions. When she was done, Ron was first to speak. He took Hermione's hands in his and looked in to her eyes. "Hermione, I love you," the simple statement caught her completely off guard and her mind went blank. "But, I have to say I think you're wrong about this. There has to be another explanation."

Hermione pulled her hands away and stepped back. "Really, well, what about this sudden scholarship from Royal Hart. I have never heard of such a thing. Have you?" She asked angrily.

Luna, who had been last to receive the passed letter began to chuckle, which cut through the anger quite effectively. "Hermione," she said calmly, "there's another explanation, and you've heard of this scholarship. I'm surprised that you, the smartest girl I know, couldn't put this together properly," she said. "Congratulations, you're this year’s recipient of what the whole school has come to call the Ravenclaw Award."

"The Ravenclaw Award?" Hermione said confused, "Everyone knows that the Ravenclaw Award is granted to a seventh year from your House. That's something else entirely. There is a plaque outside the Ravenclaw common room with the names of all the recipients for at least fifty years."

"Yes there is, and if you'd ever really looked at it you'd have seen that it clearly says on that plaque, The Royal Hart Scholarship for Academic Excellence, not the Ravenclaw Award. The annual scholarship has been given out for well over a hundred years. It's only come to be called the Ravenclaw Award, because it's not been given to anyone from another house in over fifty years. If you've been awarded this honor it's a great accomplishment. One I'm sure is based upon your own academic record and your service to the school. Most of that service, I might add, having been accomplished through your association with the very person you've just accused of arranging it." There was no tone of accusation in Luna's words, just a clear declaration of truth.

Hermione suddenly felt deflated, and tears began to form in her eyes. "But, what about paying me to be his librarian?" she said weakly.

"I'm certain there's an explanation for that as well," Ron said as he stepped forward and pulled her again in to his embrace. "Now, why don't we finish our fittings, so both you and Harry have a chance to calm down? Then we'll find Harry and straighten this whole mess out." Hermione nodded weakly, and Ron led her to the fitting stand.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


Harry burst out of Madam Malkin's and into a bustling Diagon Alley. He felt betrayed and that was making him angry. Immediately he could feel eyes on him and he felt the need to escape.

Ginny ran out from Madam Malkin's a second later. "Harry!" she called.

Harry turned at hearing her and the mere sight of Ginny was enough to calm him considerably.

Ginny took his arm and immediately set them in motion. They raced down the alley past its many other stores until they reached number ninety-three, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. The shop had been completely rebuilt and though it presently stood between two ruined buildings, the windows were filled with wondrous displays of colorful products. Above the windows several bright purple banners hung declaring the grand re-opening, in golden letters. Ginny had not let go of Harry’s hand the whole way, and she practically pulled him into the shop.

There was the familiar clatter of a spring bell as they entered, but their path was immediately blocked by the throngs a people inside. Fred and George were no doubt present, somewhere among the dizzying array of displays, but the chances of seeing them through the packed shop was unlikely. Terry Boot, however was present, just inside the door, wearing a shiny purple Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes robe.

"Hey you two," Terry said as they paused just inside the door.

"Hello, Terry," Harry greeted him extending his hand. "I thought you were working for Mrs. Scheffelgroober this summer?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, I was," Terry confirmed, "I finished that job about a week ago, so I would have a little time to myself, but Fred and George found me in the alley a few days ago and offered me a one day gig for their grand re-opening." He revealed that he had his wand in hand. "I'm to watch the door. Which is enchanted to give off an awful squeal if any unpaid goods cross the threshold. Then I just hit the crook with a Binding Charm, or a Stunning Spell if they bolt. We recover the goods and an Auror comes to deal with the criminal."

"Sounds fun, actually," Harry said. "Anyone tried it?"

"Yeah," Terry grinned, "We had a couple of attempts early in the day, but now word’s got out and I doubt we'll see anymore."

Just then a group attempted to come in behind them, so they quickly excused themselves from the conversation and pushed forward though the throng. Harry realized that Ginny not only had not let go of his hand, but was pulling him toward the back of the shop. They slipped through a curtain into a back hallway and from there snuck through a door into what Harry assumed was Fred and George’s new office, judging by the two desks and the general disarray.

Ginny released his hand finally, closed and locked the door behind her and turned to Harry. "Okay, Mr. Potter, please explain what just happened between you and Hermione," she said in a tone that Harry knew would brook no argument.

Harry explained, paraphrasing the letter and recounting Hermione's accusations leaving in as much detail as he could recall.

"And you know nothing about any of this," Ginny said.

Harry was overjoyed that it was a statement and not a question. Ginny didn't and wouldn't doubt him. He grabbed her up suddenly and kissed her hard. Ginny was momentarily surprised, but threw her arms around him nonetheless, not really caring what the kiss was for.

After a few minutes of sound snogging, Harry was totally over any lingering anger. They broke apart finally. "Had enough have you?" Ginny teased.

"Never," Harry proclaimed as he pulled her back into a toe curling kiss.

When they were finally done snogging, Ginny returned them to the topic at hand. "Well, as far as the scholarship goes, it is just like Hermione to think she hasn't done enough to earn it. That can be cleared up by asking Headmistress McGonagall, once we are back at school. And about being paid to be your librarian, we can just ask Jarphred, since he handles all the Manor’s day to day expenses, and he'll know what is going on there. I'm certain it is just a misunderstanding and can be cleared up quickly."

"I'm certain you're right, Ginny," Harry said. "But you know what? I haven't done anything wrong here and I don't feel it's my task to clear anything up. Hermione's betrayed our friendship by making accusations rather than seeking explanations, and it's her task to make things right," he smiled, though to Ginny, his pain was obvious. "Until then, we can just let her stew in her own broth for a bit."

"And you're not angry anymore?" Ginny questioned.

"No, not really," Harry admitted, "Just a bit disappointed."

"Well, Hermione really is a true friend, and I'm sure she'll come round soon enough," Ginny said, "In the meantime, let's not make too big a show of letting her think you're still angry. We don't want to keep her on her back foot."

There was a knock at the door and they could hear a key sliding into the lock. A second later George poked his head in. "Hey, you two are in here. Mum and they are out front asking after you. What gives?"

"Oh, Harry and Hermione are having a row. Hermione's all mucked up and holding the baby. Harry's already over it, but figures to send her to Coventry for a bit till she pulls the spanner from her own works," Ginny said in a single breath.

"Right you are, Harry, nods as good as a wink," George grinned. "How can I help?"

"Tell them you haven't seen us," Harry started, but George interrupted.

"Too late for that, Terry at the door already let slip you were here," George said.

"Okay, let us out the back and we'll head to Madam Malkin's to finish our fittings," Ginny said. "Give us a couple minutes, then go tell Mum that Harry was uncomfortable with the crowd so we slipped out the back. Tell her we're heading to Flourish & Blotts."

George opened the back door for them and let them out into the service alley. With a wave they were off.

The rest of the day, Harry and Ginny turned avoiding the others into a game. They methodically visited each necessary shop and managed to get everything on their Hogwarts lists and then some before stopping to pick up Ginny's new charm at Peninnah Promise. There had been a few close calls that required ducking into shops they didn't need to visit, and they even managed a nice visit with Mr. Eeylop at the Owl Emporium, before they returned to the Burrow using the public Floo.

Once they were back at the Manor, Harry asked Winky to find Mrs. Weasley and let her know that they were home and safe.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


"You are certain she's here? The beloved one?" Voldemort questioned again, impatient with waiting, especially on Muggles.

"Yes, my Lord," Snape replied, "She should be leaving from the rear of the hotel at any moment."

They were standing together on the roof of the building opposite the hotel, across the Rue Cambon; Voldemort, Snape and a handful of Death Eaters, all with brooms in hand and all ready to go at a moment’s notice.

"You have done well, Severus," Voldemort said in a rare moment of acknowledgement. "I asked for a statement, and you have exceeded my expectations. Her death will echo through the Muggles of Britain and beyond. It may well shake the world."

"Thank you, my Lord," Snape cautiously replied. "The timing is right. Tomorrow the students of Hogwarts will be boarding the Hogwarts Express at Kings' Cross, and every wizard will know that you are a threat to them all, wizard and Muggle alike." Snape paused, pulling out his pocket watch to check the time. It was 12:19a.m. "Of course the French and British Ministries for Magic will cover up the true cause and Muggles will cry conspiracy for years, but the Wizarding world will know the truth."

From across the rooftops a small splash of red light lit the sky at the front of the hotel.

"That is the signal, my Lord," one of the Death Eaters said, "The decoy car has departed from the front."

They all watched as below a blond woman and a dark man were escorted from the rear entrance and hurried into a waiting car. The escort hurried into the passenger seat and the car rolled away quickly. Not surprisingly a couple of motorcycles and a few cars also sprang from nearby alleys and drives to follow.

High above, Voldemort and his Death Eaters mounted their brooms. Voldemort directed Death Eaters to deal with the following cars and they all swooped from the rooftop in pursuit of the Muggle vehicles.

The black Mercedes-Benz turned onto Rue de Rivoli and crossed the Place de la Concorde, to the Cours la Reine. The Death Eaters broke off and swooped over the following paparazzi casting Confundus Charms, which caused the cars and one of the motorcycles to make wrong turns at the Place de la Concorde.

Voldemort and Snape dropped close to the car along the Cours Albert 1er, to visually confirm that they had the correct prey. The horrified faces through the rear window were confirmation enough.

With a bright flash, Snape cast a spell to confuse and disorient the following motorcycle and other traffic on the connected causeway.

As they were about to enter the Place de l'Alma underpass, Voldemort cast the Killing Curse on the driver. With a corpse at the wheel, and a sickening squeal of tires the car swerved to the left and slammed head-on into the 13th support pillar, crushing the front of the car in an explosion of plastic, glass and wrenching metal, before spinning from the force of the impact to crash against the stone wall of the tunnel and finally coming to a stop.

Voldemort dismounted his broom and stepped toward the wreck to inspect his handiwork, debris still chittering and settling across the pavement. Seeing no movement within the smashed and shattered vehicle he let slip a maniacal laugh, raised his wand, and cast the Dark Mark, through the roof of the tunnel to appear in the sky above.

Certainly, there would be a cover-up for the sake of the statute of Wizarding Secrecy, but the Wizarding world would know that it was He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, who deprived the Muggles of their precious Princess Diana.


____________________________ ___________
Please review - Thanks!

NEXT

Chapter Twenty-Six
The Hallowed Halls of Hogwarts
Reviews 206
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear