Search:

SIYE Time:14:08 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Beast Within
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 272
Summary: Two pivotal things happen the night of October 31, 1981. They will change the course of Harry's life. Forever.





Posting issue resolved. For the moment at least and hopefully permanently.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152518; Chapter Total: 5927
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
An early update. Just don't expect it to happen often.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Acceptance and tolerance and forgiveness,
those are life-altering lessons.
--Jessica Lange


“Harry, what's wrong?” Arthur struggled to catch Harry when he hissed again and collapsed.

“I have to go,” he gasped and cried out as his nerves began to burn.

Ginny, eyes wide, whipped around to a window. Sure enough, it was full dark and the moon–the full moon–was rising. They'd been so engrossed in the conversation, they'd lost track of what time it was and now... Now, her family was about to learn the truth Harry and she had been hiding.

“What's wrong, Harry?” Arthur asked again.

“Outside,” he panted, wincing.

Arthur looked at him as if he'd just gone mental. “Harry, it's freezing out there.”

“Albus?” Molly turned worried eyes to the Headmaster. “What's wrong with Harry?”

“Let him go, Arthur,” Albus instructed quietly, sorrowfully.

“What? But--”

A louder cry from Harry drew everyone's attention again. Harry struggled against Arthur's grasp, wracked with too much pain at the moment to use his superior strength. He still hadn't looked at anyone, afraid they'd notice his eyes. He was in too much pain to realize his eyes had actually changed several minutes ago and no one had noticed. Ginny ran to the back door and opened it wide. She ran back into the sitting room, tears clinging to her lashes.

“Daddy, please. You have to let him go.”

Harry gathered himself and, with one last effort, he was able to break free, the werewolf strength coming into play finally. He moaned and hit the floor but scrambled up. He had to get out before it got really bad. Ginny helped him to the door, accepting his glasses when he handed them over.

“I'll–be–okay, Ginny.”

“Just go, Harry,” she told him, tears falling freely. “Be safe. I'm so sorry.”

Harry started to reply but he ended up gasping and struggling to breathe instead. He gave her a final look, his yellow eyes nearly glowing before he staggered out into the night. Ginny closed the door and returned to her family. Needing the comfort, she burrowed into her mother's arms and wept. The closed door did nothing to block the agonized screams coming from the backyard with alarming frequency.

Arthur took a step in the kitchen's direction. Albus stopped him with a word. “Don't.”

“Why not?” he asked, astonished the man didn't want to do anything.
“There's nothing that can be done now. Once the transformation is complete, then we can act.”

“Trans...?”

The tortured yells continued to rend the air, each one more harrowing than the last, making those inside cringe. It was obvious when the truth dawned on the Weasley parents and the oldest siblings. They suddenly paled. Arthur drew his wand as did Bill and Charlie. Molly stepped back from Ginny to look into her eyes.

“Ginny, is Harry--?” She couldn't seem to even say it.

Ginny sobbed and nodded. Arthur actually cursed and and fearfully started handing out orders for Molly to take the kids and leave.

“Daddy, no.”

“Ginny, he's dangerous.”

“I told you!” Everyone turned toward the stairs. Ron stood there, pale and defiant. “I've been telling everyone! You just wouldn't listen! Well, I was right!”

“Ginny,” Albus urgently spoke, “he's had his potion, correct?”

“Every day, Professor. I personally saw him take it.”

Albus nodded. “Arthur, Harry isn't dangerous. He's had his potion. That potion lets him remain in control mentally. He's as tame as a family pet.”

“You're playing a dangerous game, Albus, letting him attend Hogwarts. One little slip, one missed potion and--”

“I realize that, Arthur, but there's more at stake here. Harry needed to come to Hogwarts; he needed to be safe.”

Something else occurred to Arthur and he turned to his daughter. “Ginny. You knew about this? About Harry?”

“Yes. It's a long story but I found out. Please don't be mad. I couldn't tell you. It was Harry's secret to tell. He's been so lonely, Daddy. Please don't make me stop being friends with him.”

Indecision clouded the man's features. Obviously, the desire to keep his family safe warred with the idea that a werewolf under a potion could be harmless. A scream, a gurgling sound and then a canine yelp made the hair on his arms stand up and gave him goosebumps.

“It's done,” Albus heavily informed them. “The transformation is complete.”

“We have to get him, Daddy. Please don't abandon him. Prove to him that we're not like all the magical people he grew up with who shoved him away when they found out. You're always telling us how we shouldn't judge people since we don't know what they've been through to make them the way they are. You've always said we should help anyone in need.”

A brief glance at her Headmaster and his answering nod told her he thought it a good idea to keep going.

“He was bitten when his parents were killed. From what Moony has said, Harry could have died going through his first change because he was so young.”

Fred and George perked up at the mention of the name and Ginny noticed. “That's right. I said Moony, as in Moony, Prongs and Padfoot. That map you found? It was created by Harry's dad, his uncle, his godfather and the traitor responsible for all this.”

“How do you know Moony, Gin?”

She gave them a watery smile. “You know him, too. He's Harry's uncle. You know him as Professor Lupin.”

Twin jaws dropped and it would have been comical if the situation hadn't been so dire. Ginny turned back to her father.

“I'll prove that Harry's okay. That he's still Harry.”

She lightly tossed Harry's glasses on the kitchen table, threw open the door and ran outside.

“Ginny!”

Arthur, Molly, Bill and Charlie ran outside after Ginny. The twins hovered at the door. Albus didn't move, giving the family a chance to sort things out, confident the youngest Weasley could convince them. Ginny found Harry lying on his side, breathing heavily still, trying to recuperate. He saw her and whimpered.

“I know, Harry, but you'll see. My parents won't care. We just have to show them.”

Mindless of the snow, Ginny plopped down next to the black wolf, shoving away the torn clothing and ran her hand along the side of its head and down its neck over and over. The wolf closed its eyes appearing to savor the contact. The crunch of footsteps drawing closer caught their attention. Ginny looked up at her father and oldest brother.

“See? He's fine. Just exhausted.”

“For the moment. What happens when he regains his strength?”

Heaving a sigh, the wolf struggled to its paws, wobbled, whimpered, made eye contact with the men, ducked its head and started to walk away toward some trees.

“Harry, don't go!” Ginny pleaded but the wolf continued to stumble away.

A great sigh came from Arthur. “Harry, wait!”

The black shape paused but didn't turn back. Arthur tried again.

“Son, wait. Come on into the house. You'll be a lot warmer, more comfortable there.” The black head turned to look at them. Encouraged, Arthur continued. “Ginny will stay with you in the sitting room.”

“You mean it, Daddy?”

“I do. You're right, Ginny. I've tried to teach you kids the right things. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't practice what I preached. What do you say, Harry?”

After a momentary hesitation, the wolf turned back toward the house, its steps a little more sure. Its head remained low, tail tucked, belly low to the ground, the epitome of subservience. When it reached Ginny, it collapsed and whimpered.

“What's wrong, Ginny?”

“He's tired and sore. The change takes a lot out of him.”

“Harry, is it alright if I carry you in?”

“Dad?” Bill finally spoke up.

“Bill, if he hasn't done anything to Ginny in all this time or to any of us out here, then he won't. Like I said, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't try to help.”

The black wolf had scooted forward to Arthur's feet while the man had been talking with his son. Arthur sadly smiled.

“I'm assuming you're giving your permission. I'll try not to hurt you.”

“Why not just levitate him, Dad?”

“Some things, Bill, need the personal touch.”

Very cautiously, Arthur knelt, slipped his arms underneath the wolf's abdomen and lifted, apologizing when it whimpered. Arthur made sure to meet each family member's eyes as he walked inside with his burden. Charlie grabbed the same blanket that had been used to cover Harry earlier and lay it in front of the hearth. Arthur thanked his son and awkwardly lowered the wolf to the floor. Ginny sat beside the blanket and stroked the black fur as the wolf curled up and sighed, its lupine eyes sliding shut. The family stood around the pair except for Percy who'd remained standing at the base of the stairs and Ron who had come down to stand behind Percy.

Arthur then turned to his daughter. “Is there anything else we should know? Anything you haven't told us?”

Albus responded before she could say too much. The attack on Harry was a one-time incident and nothing came of it. No one needed to know about it.

“Harry's uncle, Remus Lupin, is also a werewolf.”

Again, the twins were completely shocked. No one else showed any of what they were thinking or feeling.

“Ginny, is this why Harry has been looking pale and fell asleep earlier today?”

Ginny looked up at her second oldest brother and nodded. “Every month, the week before the full moon, he starts feeling bad, really bad. The closer the time comes, the worse he feels. I know you've all noticed how slowly he moves sometimes, especially in the mornings. It's because he's hurting. His muscles and joints all hurt the week before and for nearly a week after the transformation.”

Charlie cursed and ran a hand over his face. For once, Molly agreed with him.

“I thought Harry had been orphaned when his parents were killed,” Molly commented, going back to their earlier discussion.

“'Uncle' is an honorary title, Molly. Remus has raised Harry from the time Harry was a year old.”

“But if Remus is also a werewolf, who took care of Harry? I mean, Remus certainly couldn't help Harry through the transformations. Who was there to soothe the boy's fears?”

Albus sighed. “I probably shouldn't say. However, so much has already been revealed. I will need to first perform a Fidelius Charm on all this information. I'm sure you can understand why it's imperative for this to not get out.”

Albus, walked the border of the room chanting softly and waving his wand. After he'd made a complete circuit of the room, he stood in front of Ron, spoke some words and tapped Ron on his head lightly with his wand's tip. He repeated the action with everyone in the room.

“Now, I can speak freely. Everything you've just heard and what I'm about to tell you is protected. None of you can speak of it unless speaking to someone in this room or if the other person already knows. Please, let's sit down. This is going to be a long story.”

Once everyone was seated comfortably, the aging Headmaster began his story of how he and Madame Pomfrey had found Harry in his crib, blood pouring from the werewolf bite and how they'd taken Harry to Remus. He explained to them how Madame Pomfrey had volunteered to help Harry while he was young and scared, that she was there whenever Harry needed her.

“As I mentioned earlier, it was necessary for Harry to come to Hogwarts. You see, a prophecy was made shortly before Harry's birth that described the one who could defeat Voldemort once and for all. Only two couples were expecting babies during the time frame mentioned in the prophecy. Fearing for Harry's safety, James and Lily went into hiding. As you know, it ultimately didn't work.”

Here Albus paused, making eye contact with everyone. It was so quiet one could have heard a feather hit the floor.

“The prophecy states that the one destined to be the world's savior would be marked by Voldemort himself. That's exactly what happened the night of the attack.”

“You mean..?” Charlie started to ask. His eyes flew to the black wolf asleep on the floor. “Harry's...?”

“Yes. The scar that Harry bears is the mark Voldemort left and thereby fulfilled the prophecy. Voldemort unknowingly created his own vanquisher. Now that rumors are surfacing again and strange things are beginning to happen just like the last time, I talked with Remus and we both agreed Harry needed to be brought to Hogwarts to learn as much as he can and to train.”

A tearful Molly asked, “Does Harry know of this prophecy?”

“Yes, he does. Remus has told him, against my better judgment. I thought the news would break Harry entirely but he's proven to be stronger than I gave him credit for.”

“Oh that poor boy.”

Bill shook his head in disbelief. “He's known this and he can still laugh? I'm amazed. I don't think I would have been able to.”

“He can because he's found friends, he's found people who care about him, people other than Remus and Sirius. The worst you can do now is separate Harry from his friends.” He made a point of glancing at Ginny.

“One day,” Albus continued. “Harry will have to face his greatest challenge. Let him keep the reason to fight, the reason to live that he's found.”

Arthur and Molly had a silent conversation, turned to take in the picture of Ginny, hand soothingly running through the wolf's fur while it slept, then addressed their children.

“This has to be a family decision. If you have any concerns, now is the time to voice them.”

Ron having been the main voice against Harry, nearly every eye flew to him. He flushed at all the attention and cleared his throat.

“I'm not sure it's smart but I'll agree to hold judgment for now.”

“Alright,” Arthur acknowledged, knowing that was likely the best they'd get from him. “Fred? George? What do you think?”

The two brothers held their own silent conversation for a few seconds before shrugging. “Like you said, Dad, we should always try to help those who need it.”

George nodded. “Right. From the sounds of it, Harry is in the greatest need of all. If we can't make the effort to help the one who's going to save us all, then we're not worth saving to begin with.”

Both parents beamed with pride. Arthur nodded in their direction. “Thank you, boys. I'm glad some of our teachings have taken, at least.”

Percy volunteered his opinion. “I have to agree with Fred and George, for once.”

Chuckles went around the room as Fred and George dramatically pretended to faint. Bill spoke for himself and his brother.

“Charlie and I agree. We've gotten to know Harry a little while he's been here and you just can't fake that kind of honesty, that sincerity. We think he's okay.”

“Then it's settled,” Arthur said with finality. “Harry is welcome here any time. Ron, I suggest you try to find some common ground with Harry. Now that you know a little of what his life's been like, you can understand why he sometimes acts the way he does. You both enjoy Quidditch from what I'm told, use that.”

Ron ducked his head, nodding. “I'll try.”

“That's all we ask of you.”

“Excellent. I knew I could count on the Weasleys when I needed to.” Albus sighed. “I must get back to the castle and try to figure out what has happened to Remus and Sirius.”

“We'll take care of Harry, Albus.”

“Yes, he's in good hands.” A smile played at one corner of the man's lips as he gazed upon Ginny, still running her fingers through the black fur between the ears, as one would soothe a child.

Albus disappeared into the Floo and Molly roused herself enough to announce she was preparing something for supper.

“Thank you all,” Ginny said, another tear escaping. “I didn't want to have to disobey anyone.”

“Don't worry about that, now, Firelily,” Arthur said, using a nickname he hadn't used in some time. “Is there anything Harry needs now? Or later? I saw his clothes...”

Ginny blushed but met her father's eyes. “He will need a change of clothes, obviously. The transformation takes place just as the sun rises.”

Bill's eyes narrowed. “And you know all this how, again?”

“When I was there when he changed back in October, I was also around at sunup.” Noticing her brother's expression, she guessed exactly what he was thinking. “No, I didn't actually see anything.”

“Oh, well, that's good, then.”

Charlie also jumped in. “And you're leaving when the change starts in the morning?”

“Yes!” she exasperatedly said. Then her expression turned wicked. “It's not like I don't know what a boy looks like. I've seen enough of you lot having accidentally walked in on you. I highly doubt Harry would be any different. Seen one, seen them all.”

Arthur cleared his throat. “Yes, well, still. It wouldn't be proper for you to be here at that time.”

“I won't be. And when it does happen, don't watch. You'll only end up making Harry very uncomfortable when it's done. And not a word about what you hear, either. He feels ashamed that he screams. I've told him he shouldn't feel that way but...”
“We understand. We'll act like nothing even happened.”

“Well, don't totally avoid it. That might be worse. Just show him you don't care about his little problem.”

“Little problem?” Bill asked, brow cocked.

“Moony calls it their 'furry little problem'. It's a way to speak about it when in public.”

“Makes sense, I suppose.”

Arthur, Bill and Charlie left to join Molly in the kitchen. Percy went back up to his room. Fred looked at George.

“I knew there was a reason we thought Harry looked like a little lost puppy.”

“Yes, sometimes I'm amazed at our brilliance.”

“If you'll recall,” Ron put in a little petulantly. “I was the one saying something wasn't quite right about him.”

“Yes, you were, Ronnikins, but your instant dislike of our little puppy here made us not want to take you seriously.”

“Ron, you never even tried,” Ginny accused him. “Harry told me, that first night when you and Neville and the others came into the dorm, he heard you lot talking and it was you who said you weren't even going to bother because you thought he was a git.”

Ron's face burned at his sister's revelation. “Yeah, suppose I was the one being the git.”

“You still have a chance to make it up to him. You don't have to be best mates but at least be civil to him.”

“That's right,” Fred agreed, grinning. “because if Gin-Gin has her way, we'll be seeing a lot more of Harry during the school holidays.”

“And the summer, George. Don't forget the summer.”

“Oh, yes, too right you are, Fred. Somehow, I don't see Harry complaining.”

“No, certainly not.”

Bill stepped through the kitchen doorway and, on his way to retrieve Percy, said, “Alright, you lot, let's eat.”

Ginny was a little reluctant to leave. In the end, she did and was happy Harry hadn't been disturbed. After a quick meal of sandwiches and soup, Molly and Arthur retired to their room. Percy returned to his room as did the twins. Ron, feeling a bit awkward, headed upstairs, as well. Ginny ducked into her room to get her pillow and a blanket, stopped to get Harry's pillow then returned to the sitting room. Her brothers grinned when they noticed the two pillows.

“What? He's going to want it in the morning. He's going to be too tired to move. Trust me. He'll end up sleeping on the couch for awhile.”

Quiet footfalls on the stairs drew the three's attention. Ron came into view carrying some clothes.

“They might be a bit big but I thought he'd like something to wear since his others were torn. I didn't want to touch his bag again.”

Ginny beamed at her brother. “Thank you, Ron. He'll definitely appreciate having something to put on.”

Ron shrugged and practically leaped up the stairs to his room. Brothers and sister chatted a little longer before deciding to call it a night. Ginny lay her pillow on the floor next to Harry, covered up with the blanket and relaxed, letting sleep claim her.

0000000000


A loud whimper woke Bill. It took a moment but when he noticed the early light brightening the sky, he immediately sought out Harry. The wolf's legs spasmed, his entire body jerking. Charlie had just awakened and Bill looked to him for some idea of what to do. Ginny was gone, likely up in her room. As the canine cries became louder, Bill grabbed his wand and cast some well-placed silencing charms around the top of the stairs and ceiling. No need for everyone to be downstairs, especially if Harry was as bothered by his responses as Ginny had claimed.

As the wolf body began morphing into a more human shape, Bill winced at the sight and sounds, left the donated clothes on the blanket and he and Charlie made a quick escape into the kitchen. Bill prepared some tea. The two sat at the table and and cringed with every yelp. He couldn't help wishing he'd included the kitchen in those silencing charms, but then, they needed to know when they could return.

By the time the final scream came, both men had been reduced to covering their ears and doing their best to mentally block out the horrific sounds echoing in the lower part of the house. Then, blessed silence. Bill and Charlie locked eyes. Neither was really comfortable checking on Harry.

“Let's give him a few minutes,” Bill decided.

Charlie was all too eager to agree. “Good idea.”

Two minutes later, Bill peeked into the sitting room. Harry was sitting on the floor, chest bare, elbows on his thighs, head in his hands, eyes closed, breathing as if he'd just run all the way from Hogwarts, violently shaking. He'd managed to put the trousers on but he'd apparently run out of steam. Bill turned back to Charlie and nodded. Charlie grabbed a mug of tea and Harry's glasses while Bill went to help Harry.

“Would you like some help, Harry?” he softly asked.

Harry jumped at the sound of Bill's voice and wearily looked in his general direction. “Just give me a minute.” He looked to gather himself and picked up the shirt, struggled to get it over his head.

“Here, let me help.” With quick, impersonal movements, Bill slipped the shirt over Harry's head and got his arms through the holes.

“Thanks,” Harry rasped, his face burning.

“Not a problem, Harry–and I mean that. Come on. Let me help you to the couch.”

Bill stood behind Harry, slipped his hands under the boy's shoulders and lifted, apologizing when he heard Harry's quick intake of breath. It wasn't easy but the oldest Weasley sibling got Harry to the couch. Charlie handed Harry his glasses. Bill took the tea from his brother.

“Here, have a drink. It might help.”

Harry tried to take the mug but his hands were shaking so badly he couldn't hold it. Bill ended up holding the drink to Harry's lips.

“Thanks,” Harry said again, not meeting either man's gaze. “Sorry I woke you up. What a Christmas this turned out to be, right?”

“Harry, don't apologize.” Charlie gently put a hand on Harry's shoulder. “There's nothing you need to feel sorry for.”

Finally, Harry raised his emerald eyes to the blues watching him. “Why are you being so nice to me? I lied to your family. One missed potion and I could turn all of you. So why are you being nice to me?”

“True, all it would take would be one missed dose,” Charlie agreed and went on to say, “but considering how careful you've been with Ginny and what I know of you, having spent some time around you, that won't happen. I mean, even after you've been treated so terribly by wizardkind you're still worried about others. That says a lot about your character, Harry. And that's why we're being nice to you–because you deserve it.”

“And you're okay with me and Ginny? You know..with us...?”

“Yes,” Bill answered him. Harry's eyes began to droop. “Remind me sometime to tell you just why I'm okay with it. For now, get some sleep.”

Bill picked up the blanket by the fire while Charlie helped Harry lie down, tucking the pillow behind his head. Harry, yawning, slipped his glasses off and Charlie placed them on the table in front of him. Bill tucked Harry in just like Molly used to do for them, not like Harry noticed–he was already asleep.

“How does he do it, Bill? How does he handle it all?”

“I don't know, Charlie. I'll tell you one thing, I wish I had half the mental strength he has.”

Charlie suddenly shuddered. “Only once have I heard something so awful and it was a couple years ago when someone at the dragon reserve didn't heed a nesting mother's warning. The bloke screamed as he burned. It didn't last nearly as long as this.”

Bill nodded, still watching Harry. “Yeah, I know what you mean. Someone I used to work with was working in a tomb and failed to counter the correct curses. It was not a pretty sight–or sound.”

Footsteps bounding down the stairs had the two men looking in that direction. Ginny, anxiously clutching her book, stopped when she caught sight of Harry on the couch, her brothers hovering over him and looking grim.

“What's wrong?”

Then Bill smiled wearily. “Nothing, Firelily. Come on down here. Harry just fell asleep.”

“Everything go okay?” she asked as she joined them.

“I don't know about 'okay',” Bill said dryly. “Unless you call screaming like you've been permanently put under the Cruciatus Curse 'okay'.”

“I was not prepared for that,” Charlie grimly added, looking a little pale. “Last night was nothing compared to being practically in the same room.”

“I know, Charlie. That's what it was like for me when I found out the truth.”

“You never said how that came about. Care to share?”

The stairs creaked as another person came into view. Molly, looking every bit the concerned mother, came over to the couch.

“How is he?” she asked, taking in Harry's very pale complexion and trembling form.

The brothers deferred to their sister. “He'll be okay once he gets a little sleep. Give him a couple hours. He'll mostly be sore and tired and will probably want to take a nap later.”

Molly leaned over Harry, ran a gentle hand through his hair and sadly shook her head. “The poor dear. I can't imagine how hard things have been for him.” She looked up at her oldest son. “I didn't hear anything this morning. You put up silencing charms, didn't you?”

Bill shrugged. “I thought it best. No reason for everyone to hear. Maybe he'll be less bothered by it knowing Charlie and I were the only ones who heard him.”

Molly gave her oldest boy a tight hug. “That was very good thinking, very considerate of you to think of Harry's feelings.” She picked up the mug of now cold tea from the table. “I'm starting breakfast.”

She turned back to enlist her daughters help, but paused, seeing Ginny sitting on the floor in front of the couch, already reading.

“Mum, why don't I gather the eggs this morning?” Charlie volunteered.

Bill removed his spellwork from the top of the stairs and cringed when a door slammed shut and his youngest brother yelled.

“Happy Christmas!”

Another yell and a door slam. Ron's traditional Christmas greeting of going to everyone's bedroom and waking them up echoed. A quick glance at Harry showed the teen still sleeping soundly. Bill trotted over to the stairs and caught Ron before he could yell again, smacking a hand over his brother's mouth.

“Ssshhhh. Harry's asleep. Don't wake him up.”

Ron nodded solemnly. “Sorry,” he whispered. “Didn't think.”

Things fell into place for Ron like jigsaw puzzle pieces. Now that he had all the information, he could look back at certain days in the past and see them for what they were. He tiptoed over to Ginny.

“That's why he always seemed to be sleeping, isn't it?”

Ginny nodded at him. “Yes. The transformation takes more energy than you can imagine. He's always exhausted afterward. He sleeps to build up his energy whether before or after. Plus, as badly as he hurts, sleeping is a way he deals with it. He doesn't notice it so much then.”

Bill disappeared into the kitchen while Ron sat opposite Ginny, thinking. “And that time in the common room?”

Ginny knew exactly which time her brother was referring to. “Bad timing. He'd just gone through the change again that morning. Sometimes he wakes up disoriented. It's kind of a survival or instinctual reaction. Take care of the threat before it takes care of you. That's what happened.”

“Yeah, okay, I can understand that.” He sighed. “I'm sorry I've been so terrible. I guess I was kind of jealous of him. He shows up and suddenly everyone's talking about him. It didn't help that he didn't seem to want to be around anyone, which I understand now. And then there's the fact I didn't protect you last year. I guess I went overboard this year. I promise, Ginny, that I will be nicer to him.”

“Don't apologize to me, Ron. I'm not the one who needs to hear it.”

“Right. Will he forgive me?”

“Probably, but you're going to have to earn it.”

Ron nodded his understanding. He tilted his nose up and sniffed the air. “Smells like breakfast is almost done. You want me to bring you something?”

“That would be great. Thanks, Ron.” Ginny awkwardly hugged her brother over the table between them.

0000000000


A couple hours later, the Floo activated and a familiar voice called out. “Hello?”

Ron ran over to the fireplace. “Hermione! Happy Christmas!”

“Happy Christmas, Ron. How is everyone?”

“We're fine. Enjoying the time with your parents?”

“Of course. We're at the Leaky Cauldron this morning. I was hoping I could come by for a bit later?”

Hearing the question, Molly joined her son at the fireplace. “Absolutely you may. Bring your parents and come on now. We'd love to visit with them and most of the family is up.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Weasley. We'll be there in a few minutes.”

Hermione's head disappeared from the fire and Ron stood back. The fire turned green again and the Grangers appeared, one by one, with Hermione coming through first. She greeted Ron giving him a short and slightly awkward hug before greeting Ginny. The fireplace activated again with Mrs. Granger tripping into the sitting room. Ron caught her, blushing.

Hermione noticed Harry still sacked out on the couch and gasped, turning wide eyes to Ginny, who nodded.

“They know, Hermione. Harry's been with us since the start of the holidays.”

“Oh, that couldn't have been easy.”

“No, but they know he's as safe as can be.” Ginny glanced around, saw everyone greeting Hermione's parents and took the golden opportunity. Leaning close she urgently whispered, “They don't know anything about the attack on Harry so don't say anything.”

“Of course not.”

Ginny knelt beside Harry and lightly touched his shoulder. “Harry? You need to wake up for a bit. Hermione's here and she wants to wish you a Happy Christmas.”

At her touch, Harry woke instantly, brow furrowed as if trying to figure out where he was and why he was there. With jerky movements, he rubbed his eyes and made to sit up, wincing and hissing as he did so. He got his glasses back and slipped them on.

“Hey, Hermione,” he croaked, smiling a little, face flushed with sleep.

“Hey, Harry.” Leaning over and barely touching him, she gave him a hug.

“Happy Christmas.”

“And to you. I figured you'd be home, Harry.” Seeing the pained looks that passed across their faces, she grew concerned. “What? What happened?”

“Professor Lupin and Harry's godfather have both turned up missing,” Ron said lowly, coming over to join them.

“Oh, no! Oh, Harry, I'm so sorry.”

“Thanks. Dumbledore doesn't know what happened. Just suddenly they were gone.”

“They'll turn up soon,” Hermione said, lightly squeezing Harry's hand.

The Granger parents, Jean and Walter, were ushered into the sitting room. Ginny took Harry's blanket and pillow, putting them off to the side to make room. With Ginny's help, Harry gained his feet in order to greet Hermione's parents. Harry clenched his teeth to keep from moaning in pain when Mr. Granger shook his hand or when Mrs. Granger gave him a hug.

“It's so nice to meet you, Harry. Hermione has told us a lot about you.”

Harry smiled weakly. “Thank you, Sir.”

Looking around the room, Mrs. Granger noticed the presents under the tree. She turned back to the family. “Oh, you haven't opened your gifts yet. Maybe we should come back another time.”

“Nonsense,” Molly assured her. “We had planned to open them later today.”

Harry ducked his head. He knew he was the reason the Weasleys hadn't celebrated the holiday just yet. Ginny's small hand slipped into his and he gave her a faint smile. Hermione, observant girl that she was, noticed and her brows rose, a teasing grin spreading across her face. Everyone found a place to sit, the younger Weasley boys on the floor. Ginny sat beside Harry on the couch, Hermione sat on the floor in front of them. Hermione's parents filled the rest of the couch. Ron sat on the floor next to Hermione.

The four friends held a separate conversation from the others. Hermione did her best to keep Harry's spirits up regarding his missing guardians and, for the most part, it worked. She filled them in on the little bit of traveling she and her parents had already done and where they planned to go in another couple of days.

As she talked, Harry felt as if he was being watched and looked up to find Hermione's mother gazing at them, her eyes bouncing between the four of them. He looked away before she realized she'd been caught. He apparently hadn't been the only one to notice. Hermione gave him an apologetic look which he acknowledged with a slight nod to say all was fine. Several more times he caught the Grangers glancing his way, looking either puzzled or concerned. Needless to say, it made him a little uncomfortable but there wasn't anything he could do about it.

A little while later, Molly invited the Grangers to stay for lunch, was delighted when they agreed and bustled off to the kitchen, Hermione's mother following.

0000000000


“Is there anything I can do to help? You've got quite the crowd to feed.”

“Well, if you'd like, you can set the table.” Molly showed her where to find the dishes.

Jean counted the places at the table and did a quick count in her head. “We're not all going to fit.”

“Oh, not to worry. Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Harry can eat in the sitting room. It's probably best anyway.”

Molly gathered vegetables from the pantry and set them to slicing themselves, Mrs. Granger watching in fascination. Then Molly went to the cold storage and brought out a roast and began seasoning it.

“May I ask you something?”

Molly paused in her work at the hesitant question. “Sure.”

“I was wondering about...Harry. Is he...okay? He looks rather ill.”

Molly looked down at the hunk of meat before her, trying to decide what to tell the woman. Obviously, she couldn't say anything more than something general.

“I suppose you could say that he is,” she finally decided upon. “It's something that affects only a very small number of magical folk, though, so you have nothing to worry about.”

“There's no cure? I thought magic could take care of anything.”

“Sadly, no, there is no cure and even magic has its limits.”

“It's heartbreaking to see someone so young be so ill.”

“Yes, it is.”

“And he has no family?”

“He has an uncle and godfather but both have turned up missing.”

“Oh, no! How awful!”

Molly went back to work on the roast. “Yes. Harry's life hasn't been easy, to say the least. It will be a tremendous blow if they aren't found.”

Finished with the dishes, Jean took a seat and watched the Weasley matriarch command her kitchen.

“When Hermione first started writing to me about Harry, I thought she'd developed quite the crush on him, thinking perhaps there was more going on between them than I had known.”

Molly smiled, knowing all too well how that felt. “And now?”

“I know there isn't. She doesn't display any of the typical 13 year old girls' signs of a crush: no blushing, no giggling, no avoidance of eye contact or fleeting eye contact. It's just not there.”

“And if she had?” Molly asked, curious to see how much the woman had observed.

The other woman chuckled. “I would have said she was too late. It looked to me like his attention was elsewhere.”

Finished with the roast, Molly started it cooking. She washed her hands and wiped them on her apron. She began a pot of tea and sat at the table.

“Yes, it is,” she said with a smile. “Harry is a bit of a celebrity in our world. I don't know if Hermione said anything about that.” At the woman's nod, Molly continued. “Books have been written about the whole thing, children's books, speculating on what Harry's life was like growing up. At a young age, my daughter, Ginny, loved hearing the story. What wasn't to like? Good overcame evil. As she got older, she grew out of that kind of hero worship, as most children do. Harry just started Hogwarts this year, he'd been home schooled previously. Ginny quickly realized the book hero was a far cry from the real one. They eventually became friends, close friends. What's there now is a recent development.”

“Are you not concerned about their ages? They're really quite young.”

Molly nodded thoughtfully. “I was, at first, but there's much more involved than just ages. Because of the...illness...Harry has, he hadn't made a lot of friends growing up. Even now, his friends consist mainly of my boys, Ginny, Hermione and one other boy. Plus, both he and Ginny have been through unfortunate events that have matured them some. Neither are your typical twelve or thirteen year old. I observed them for an entire day. I can honestly tell you I have no reservations about it now.”

Arthur entered the kitchen carrying the remote controlled plane Harry had given him, Hermione's father following behind him, Bill and Charlie bring up the rear.

“We'll be outside for a little bit, Molly.”

“Oh, Arthur, really,” she said in response, exasperated. “I'm sure Mr. Granger isn't interested in that thing. Besides, it's cold out.”

“Warming charms, Molly,” Arthur said with a wink. “And he's the one who wanted to see it fly.”

Molly's entire face burned bright red. “Oh...well, then...I guess...Carry on.” She cleared her throat. “Well, I guess I'll get these vegetables to cooking now that the roast has a little head start.”

As she did so, laughter from the sitting room drifted into the kitchen. When she looked up, the twins were gesticulating wildly about something. Ron, too, appeared to be helping with the tale as he'd nod and move his hands. The laughter, especially Harry's, made her smile. She couldn't help but wish she'd known Harry while he was little. He desperately needed a mother figure in his life and while she had no doubt Poppy was a kind woman and was quite adequate, Molly felt the full-time love she could have given Harry would have done wonders for the boy.

“I've never really seen Hermione interact with her friends before,” Jean said, the realization having just dawned on her. “She seems more relaxed than she does at home.”

Molly looked sympathetic as she said, “I can't imagine how you must feel knowing there's another world to which you aren't a direct part of but your daughter is. That can't be easy.”

“No, it isn't,” she sighed. “She tries so hard to transition back to our way of doing things during the holidays and the summer, but I can see the frustration she thinks she hides. I know she's always felt out of place so I'm glad she's found somewhere she feels she belongs but...”

“But you feel left out, a little abandoned, maybe,” Molly guessed.

“Yes. We don't want to feel that way and most of the time we don't. It's just sometimes, when we know she's itching to come back to this world...”

“It's perfectly understandable. That doesn't make you bad parents.”

Molly prepared a few mugs of cocoa and set them on a tray. “Let's go find out what they're discussing. Would hate it to be something embarrassing.”

Walking into the sitting room carrying the tray, Mrs. Granger following behind, Molly asked, “Anyone like some cocoa?”

Ron and the twins jumped up, thanked their mother and took a mug. Hermione selected hers. Harry and Ginny went last.

“Thanks, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said, both hands wrapping around the hot cup.

“You're welcome, dear.” She gestured for the other woman to sit. “Now, what tales are being told in here and do I need to set any records straight?”

0000000000


After a while, the men returned and Molly made another batch of cocoa and checked on lunch. Upon announcing that it was ready, everyone got to their feet, Ginny helping Harry as usual. Harry took the opportunity to escape upstairs a moment. He returned to find most everyone around the table.

“We get to stay in the sitting room and eat,” Ginny told him.

“Oh, well I had wondered how we'd all fit.”

Harry very carefully stretched in an effort to relieve his sore muscles. The four of them filed into the kitchen to fill their plates.

“Oh, Harry, dear, reach behind you and pull out the candlesticks, would you, please? We may want them later.”

Setting his plate aside, Harry obligingly turned and opened the cupboard behind him. Two silvery candlesticks, each holding a single white tapered candle, stood right in front, waiting for their next use. Not giving it any thought, he reached in and wrapped a hand around the stem of each one and immediately sucked in a breath, making a hissing sound and yanked his hands back, the metallic clink from the candlesticks falling into each other barely audible over his gasp as he looked at his reddened hands.

“Harry?” Molly caught sight of Harry's hands and hustled over. “Oh, my goodness! Come here.” She led Harry by his elbow over to the sink and gently tucked his hands into a slow stream of cold water from the tap. “Now, don't move.”

Molly disappeared to get her burn paste. Ginny stood by Harry's side, looking concernedly at his slowly blistering hands. The remaining Weasleys exchanged looks of shock. Arthur retrieved the candlesticks from the cupboard and set them aside on the counter to study later. He winced at the painful looking blisters forming along Harry's fingers and palms.

Hermione, seeing the confusion on her parents' faces, walked over and lowly said the only thing she could think of that her parents would understand. “Harry has an allergy to silver. He blisters whenever he touches it, depending on how high the silver content is.”

Molly came rushing in carrying a jar of paste. “Sorry it took so long. It wasn't where it should have been.” She grabbed a hand towel, turned off the water and gently dried Harry's hands.

“I'm so sorry, Harry, dear. I had no idea. We've had those things for years. Never once did I think--”

“It's okay, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry assured her, trying to keep the grimace from his face.

“If I had known, I never would have--”

“I know.”

Molly, holding onto Harry's wrists, directed him into Arthur's abandoned chair. Opening the jar, she carefully began applying a thin layer of paste, doing her best not to put too much pressure on his hands.

“There,” she said once she was finished. “Give that a few minutes to work.

Harry nodded and squirmed a little under all the stares. Ginny took notice and decided Harry could use a little rescuing.

“Come on, Harry. Let's go back into the sitting room. We'll get our plates in a few minutes.”

Grateful, Harry tossed her a smile and followed her into the other room, hands held up in front of him like he'd once seen a doctor on a telly do. Once the four of them were seated, they stared at each other, no one really knowing what to say. Then Ron broke the silence.

“I can't believe we've had them for so long without knowing they were real.”

Hermione tossed an exasperated look his way before turning a concerned gaze to Harry. “I hope it's not too painful, Harry.”

Harry looked down at his hands. “Not anymore. Just a little tingling now. The blisters have all but gone. Even the redness is fading.”

A couple minutes went by before Molly entered, carrying two plates of food which she set before Harry and Ginny.

“Thanks, Mum.”

“Mrs. Weasley, you didn't have to--”

“I know but I wanted to. Now, let me see those hands.” She looked them over then nodded, satisfied. “Healing fine. Give it another minute and you should be good as new. By that time, the paste will have completely disappeared.”

Ron and Hermione followed Mrs. Weasley back into the kitchen to fill their own plates. Ginny leaned on Harry a bit, studying him.

“You sure you're okay, Harry?”

“Yeah, I'm fine.”

He smiled and looked down at her. His insides danced and he suddenly wanted to try that kiss experiment, the kiss on the lips one, again. He had the feeling he'd really like it now. Just as he started to lean forward, Hermione's voice, scolding Ron for something, sounded very close to the kitchen doorway and it brought Harry crashing back to where they were. They weren't alone. Shifting away from Ginny, he flexed his hands, checking to see if they were healed enough. When they didn't hurt, he picked up his plate and started in on his lunch. Harry thought he heard the slightest exhalation from beside him. Was she disappointed? Was she glad that he hadn't done it? Why did this have to be so difficult? He gave himself a mental slap. It wasn't as if he hadn't kissed her at all, but those seemed different for some reason. No matter. He'd have to be content with them.

0000000000


Ginny could have hexed Hermione. Harry had been about to kiss her, she was certain of it. And not on the cheek, either. She let out a little sigh and picked up her own plate. Maybe it was for the best. They weren't exactly alone and she'd much prefer to be alone with Harry when it did happen. She wondered how different it would be now compared to when the two of them had been at the top of the Astronomy tower. She really wanted to find out.

Once she was certain Hermione had finished her lunch, Ginny asked the girl up to her room under the pretense of giving the girl her gift. The instant she closed her bedroom door, Ginny let out a frustrated growl.

“Ginny?”

“I was so close, Hermione! So close! And then you ruined it!”

“I'm sorry?” the girl said though she had no clue what she was apologizing for.

Ginny sighed. “Harry almost kissed me a few minutes ago. He backed off when you started scolding Ron.”

“Oh. I'm really sorry, Ginny.” Her anxiety turned to mischief. “So tell me. When did all this start?”

“A couple days ago. I gave him his present since I thought he was going home before today and he gave me a hug and brushed my cheek with a kiss. I guess we're kind of dating now though he hasn't said anything about it, hasn't asked.”

“He probably doesn't realize he should, Ginny.”

“I suppose, but how do I find out? I can't just...ask him! Besides, we haven't even been alone all day, except those few minutes you and Ron got your lunch.”

“Well...I'm sure you'll get your chance. The day isn't over yet. My advice is to just take him aside and ask him. It's the only way you'll know for sure.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“May I say 'Congratulations'? I kind of thought this might happen.”

“Are you angry?”

Hermione's teasing expression turned puzzled. “Why would I be?”

“You were getting to be friends with Harry. I don't want you to think we won't want you around anymore or to feel uncomfortable being around us.”

“We'll always be friends, Ginny. Other things change but that never will.

Ginny nodded and gave the bushy-haired girl a hug. “Thanks. Oh! I should get your present since that's what I said we were doing to begin with.”

She picked up a skinny square package and held it out. “It's not much, I'm afraid.”

“You know I don't care about that, Ginny.”

Hermione carefully removed the Christmas paper and set it on Ginny's desk. Opening the box, she pulled out a bracelet made entirely of embroidery thread. The bulk of the bracelet was done in Gryffindor's scarlet red. Golden chevrons had been woven into it.

“It's a friendship bracelet!” Hermione excitedly looked it over. “It's really well done, Ginny. Thank you. I love it. How did you know about friendship bracelets?”

“Dad,” was all Ginny needed to say.

Hermione slipped the bracelet over her left wrist and pulled the adjustable knots to tighten it. She admired it a moment before leaning in and giving the younger girl a hug. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small gift.

“This is for you.”

Unwrapping the lightweight present, Ginny ahhhed. “It's so pretty.”

Nestled inside the box was a smooth, somewhat flat stone about the width of a Snitch with an indention on one side. The stone was reddish-brown with bands of varying shades of a lighter mahogany to cream running parallel around it. Like with Harry's gift, this one also came with a slip of parchment.

Sardonyx Worry Stone

The worry stone, when rubbed between thumb and forefinger, may bring peace of mind. The Sardonyx Worry Stone will also enhance friendship, fortune, luck, love, and happiness. It is protective of the young. It also increases the appreciation of nature's beauty and its wild inhabitants.


“Thank you, Hermione. I'll keep it with me always.”

Slipping it into her pocket, Ginny picked up the stone horse and parchment from her desk.

“Harry gave me this. Read the parchment card.”

Hermione read the card, smiling. “That's so sweet, Ginny. It's obvious you mean a lot to him. That horse is beautiful.”

“Isn't it?” Ginny agreed with Hermione's statements. “Who knew Harry would turn out to be so incredibly sweet? Did Harry get you anything?”

“Actually, he did and I was surprised. It came a couple days ago. He must have had it set to be delivered on that day. Not sure why, but anyway, he gave me a really nice quill, ink, and stationery set. The stationery is really pretty. It's lined with a border of books stacked haphazardly all around it. Now I don't have to use my school parchment for my letters.”

“That's really nice, Hermione.” Ginny laughed. “He knows you so well already.” The girls shared a laugh but then Ginny sobered. “Well, anyway, we should be getting back down there. Ron has called a truce in regards to Harry but I don't want them together alone for too long. Not until Ron starts behaving better.”

0000000000


That evening, after the Grangers left, Harry watched as the others opened gifts. He kept a smile on his face but, inside, he was missing his uncle and godfather. Granted he'd never had Sirius around for Christmas and the man hadn't been around much since they'd been reunited, but Harry had known he was at least there if he was needed. As for his uncle, he and Harry had never been apart. Ever.

While the family was hugging and thanking each other, Harry wrapped up in his cloak and slipped out the back door. It was cold and dark, fitting his current mood. Because it was so cold, Harry didn't leave the porch, but leaned on the rail with his elbows, staying out of the light streaming from the window.

A few minutes later, the door opened and Ginny stepped onto the porch, peering into the blackness beyond the porch. Harry didn't move but she must have sensed him for she turned his way. Letting the door swing closed behind her, she stood beside him at the rail.

“Do you mind if I join you?”

“No. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin anything.”

“What are you on about? You didn't ruin anything, Harry.”

“I was afraid I would have for sure if I'd stayed. I'm just not feeling all that festive right now.”

“I understand, Harry, and I don't blame you. I can't even begin to imagine how tough all this is for you.”

One of her arms snaked around his elbow and her head leaned on his shoulder. She didn't say anything else, just stood there with him, looking out into the inky darkness that was the night. It was what he really liked about Ginny. She didn't force him to talk, she didn't feel the need to fill the silence with words that really held no meaning. He studied the girl beside him, just enough light to see her shadowy form, still amazed he could call her a friend–and more. Well, they were kind of more, weren't they? He wanted “more” and he was pretty certain she did, too. He supposed he should just ask her, but how does one do that?

As if sensing his thoughts, she looked up at him and smiled. The urge to kiss her made him tremble with nerves. He fought it for half a second before he gave in and, after embarrassingly bumping noses, he closed his eyes and touched his lips to hers. Physically, it was the exact same kiss as the one they shared at Hogwarts. Emotionally, it was vastly different. Joy spread through him like a wildfire, warming him from head to toe. Through that single kiss, Harry found strength and comfort and something more profound he couldn't name. He found his place in the wizarding world, his true place.

Pulling back a few inches, Harry watched Ginny for a sign. He'd been right earlier. He thoroughly enjoyed the kiss and definitely would like to do it again. He cleared his throat.

“Ginny,” he croaked and cleared his throat again. “Would you,er, would you, you know, like to...” He took a huge breath and rushed out, “Wouldyoubemygirlfriend?”

He held that breath as he waited. At first she just looked at him, but then a huge smile lit her face, she gave a little laugh and threw her arms around his waist.

“Yes, Harry, I would like that.”

Then she stood on tiptoe and returned the favor, her lips lingering on his. The sound of the back door opening had her jumping back.

“Ginny? Harry?” Molly called into the darkness, sounding worried.

“Over here, Mum.”

“Is everything okay?”

Ginny tried hard to suppress her full smile but she failed and it showed in her voice. “It's fantastic, Mum. I mean, Harry's fine.”

“Come in out of the cold. You've been out there long enough. I'll make some cocoa.”

“Alright, Mum.”

The door closed again and Ginny turned back to Harry, taking his hands in hers.

“Do you think she knows what we were doing?”

Ginny shrugged. “Probably. I don't care though.”

Harry smiled sheepishly. “I don't either. Not this second anyway.”

“Good enough.” She pressed another kiss, a quick one, to his lips before letting go of one of Harry's hands. “Come on. We really don't want to press our luck.”

Holding tightly to the hand she still had, Ginny pulled Harry back into the house. They were met by a few raised brows. Molly, covering for them and letting them know it, patted Harry on the shoulder.

“It can't be easy being away from your family. They'll be found safe and sound. I just know it.”

Harry looked down at the floor a moment, schooling his features into one of sadness and longing, before looking up at her.

“Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.”

He hoped she understood he was thanking her not just for the words but the entire gesture. Her bright smile and slight nod told him she got his meaning.

“Now, off with those cloaks, sit down and warm up.”

Molly placed two mugs of steaming hot cocoa on the table. The two removed their cloaks, hung them on the back of their chairs for the moment and wrapped a hand around their warm cups, their free hands finding each other under the table.


0000000000


Elsewhere, a much maligned Seer fell into a trance and began prophesying for the second time in her life.

“The flame has awakened the wolf from its long slumber. The wolf and the flame no longer dance. The wolf has been engulfed by the flame but burns not. It glows with life, spreading light to all who sees. The gray has passed. It is time for the black. Woe unto the world if the wolf and flame are separated for without the flame, the wolf shall fall. Without the wolf, the flame shall burn, leaving behind a path of destruction. Together, they shall triumph over their foes. Together, they must always be. They are one.

The relevant ones know. Soon secrets will be revealed. Sides will be taken. It is the beginning...”


The woman suddenly blinked at her companions. “I'm sorry.” She looked around at the shocked expressions. “Was it something I said?”







Reviews 272
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear