Search:

SIYE Time:23:41 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Beast Within
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 272
Summary: Two pivotal things happen the night of October 31, 1981. They will change the course of Harry's life. Forever.





Posting issue resolved. For the moment at least and hopefully permanently.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152509; Chapter Total: 5525
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.
― Rumi


Sirius raised his wand just in case. “Remus? Is that you?”

“Sirius!” The man hissed in pain as he forced himself to stand. “How did you know to find me here?”

“How do I know it's really you and not some Death Eater in disguise?”

“Good thinking,” Albus commented as he and the Weasleys, all with wands half-raised, joined Sirius just outside the stone circle. “Tell us something only the real Remus Lupin would know.”

“Alright.” Remus thought for a moment, shivering with cold. “Sirius, when Harry was barely old enough to stand, James would put him on Padfoot's back to ride around and Harry loved it.”

“Not good enough. Peter was around on some of those occasions. He could have easily mentioned it to his fellow Death Eater friends.”

“Okay, how about this? Those first few years Harry came to live with me, Poppy sat with Harry during the transformations, to give him the comfort I couldn't.”

Albus nodded. “It's really him, Sirius.”

Remus lay his hand flat against the nearest stone. “Rwy'n ddiogel nawr. Diolch yn fawr.”

The stones hummed, glowed for a moment then the light faded away. The power seemed to have left the circle. Sirius ran up to Remus and caught him as his friend started to fall.

“What did you just say?”

Remus grinned wearily. “I told the stones I was safe and thanked them for protecting me.” He gave a little laugh at Sirius' expression. “I told you learning the old languages would come in handy one day.”

“Yeah, yeah. Come on, let's get you to the Burrow. I know of a certain kiddo who would be really happy to see you.”

“How badly are you hurt, Remus?”

Remus shrugged. “Nothing major. Some bumps, bruises, scrapes, cuts, that sort of thing. I think I sprained my ankle, too.”

Albus conjured his Patronus, whispered to it and sent it off. The others stared in disbelief. It was Charlie who broke the stunned silence.

“I didn't know you could use your Patronus as a messenger.”

“It's a very reliable method when security is important. I sent it to Molly so she can gather the necessities to patch up Remus.”

Arthur stepped forward. “Here. Hold on to me.”

Arthur wrapped his right arm around Remus' waist as Remus draped his arm over Arthur's shoulders. Between Arthur and Sirius, with a little help from Bill and Charlie, Remus managed to get up the slope and onto level ground. The men waited until they were a few yards away from the circle of stones before heading back to the Weasleys' home.

0000000000


Several cracks came from the front yard and caused everyone to jump to their feet, Harry more anxious than the others. He had no clue what was going on. Just minutes earlier, what he assumed to be Dumbledore's phoenix patronus glided through the wall on silent wings, spoke softly in Mrs. Weasley's ear and then faded away. Mrs. Weasley hustled around gathering medicinal potions, salves and bandages, which obviously meant someone was hurt.

“I'm sure Sirius is fine, Harry,” Ginny said from beside him, one hand gripped in his, her other clutching his arm at his elbow.

“Yeah, well, then that would mean one of your family is hurt and I don't like that thought, either.”

“It could be Dumbledore.” When Harry merely stared at her, she sighed. “Not helping, I get it.”

Before anything else could be said, the front door flew open admitting Arthur, turned sideways, then...

“Uncle Remus!”

Harry rushed forward. Arthur relinquished his hold on Remus and moved away to allow Harry to take his place. Together, Harry and Sirius helped Remus settle sideways onto the couch. Sirius slid around to the back of the couch so Harry could stay close to Remus while Molly assessed the man's injuries, waving her wand and healing what cuts she could find. All the while, Harry looked on anxiously.

“Any others I haven't found, Remus? We'll need Poppy for your ankle, I'm afraid.”

“No, you got them all. Thank you.” Molly left to call Madame Pomfrey. Remus turned his attention to Harry, who appeared to barely be holding himself together. “I'm alright, Pup.”

Remus reached out and pulled Harry close. He said nothing as the boy who'd, for so long refused to cry in his presence, silently wept on Remus' shoulder. Remus continued to reassure Harry he was fine, one hand rubbing Harry's back before sliding up and gripping Harry's shoulder.

For a few seconds, no one moved or said a thing. Then the Floo activated signaling Madame Pomfrey's arrival. All the commotion finally brought the twins, blinking blearily, down the stairs. Percy, too, joined the family downstairs. Ron continued to snore loudly in his room. Being just below the attic with its noisy ghoul, he'd learned to sleep through most anything.

“What's going on, Father?”

“You'll see, Percy.”

Molly enlisted Ginny's help in preparing some tea, cocoa, and some spice biscuits on a tray, doing as much by hand as possible to give Harry and Remus some time. Albus and Arthur set about conjuring more chairs for everyone and arranging them in a roughly circular manner. Poppy set to work examining Remus for any hidden injuries, working around Harry, who hadn't moved. She wasn't about to force Harry to back away. Remus meant the world to Harry, she knew. She couldn't even imagine the relief Harry felt at having Remus back. She may not be as skilled in the mental aspect of healing but she knew enough to know that Harry needed to stay exactly where he was.

“Well, you look to be mostly alright. Let me take a look at that ankle.”

Gently, Madame Pomfrey removed the shoe from Remus' left foot, apologizing when the man twitched from the pain. She waved her wand. Reading the results from her test, she reached into her bag of potions and salves and pulled out a small empty vial and a fairly large bottle resembling human bones.

Catching sight of the bottle, Remus actually winced. “Great. Another smoking potion,” he muttered.

“Be glad you only need about a mouthful. I don't know how you did it but you managed to get a hairline fracture to the lateral distal end of your fibula. In other words, you somehow cracked the bone where it connects to your foot.”

“I tripped over a tree root while running.”

“That might do it if your ankle turns just the right way.” She poured out a small dose of the clear potion and handed it over. “Take this and then elevate your ankle for an hour. After that, it'll be good as new.”

Keeping one arm around a calmer Harry, Remus took the vial and downed it, coughing and gasping at the taste. “Why can't they make that stuff taste better? If I wanted my mouth and throat to burn I'd drink some firewhiskey instead. At least Ogden's firewhiskey tastes better.”

Poppy regarded Harry still clinging to Remus although he seemed to have settled. She raised questioning eyes to her patient and received a slight shake of his head in answer. Nodding her acknowledgment, the matron put away the bottle of Skele-Gro, washed the vial and put it into her bag.

“Well,” she said, standing. “If you need me for anything else, let me know.”

“Thanks, Poppy.”

As the nurse disappeared back through the Floo, Molly entered carrying a tray, Ginny following behind her with another one. Both worked the room, starting at opposite sides. As refreshments were passed out, Sirius picked up a couple of small pillows and situated them under Remus' ankle then sat on a conjured chair next to his best friend's feet. Ginny sat in a chair at the other end of the couch eyeing Harry worriedly. Molly sat beside her husband.

When Harry still hadn't moved, Albus grew concerned. “Remus, is Harry--”

Remus held up a finger to stall the aged wizard. “Sirius.” He pointed to Harry. “Muffling charm. I lost my wand.”

In no more than a second, a sort of soundproof bubble enveloped Harry. Now they could talk freely. Remus nodded his thanks and noticed the questioning and worried expressions around him.

“He's fallen asleep,” Remus explained and the others relaxed.

“Remus, his room is just upstairs. We could--”

“No, but thank you.” He smiled to soften his refusal. “He's fine where he is.”

“It's no wonder he fell asleep,” Molly said softly. “He's been so worried.”

“And then with what happened tonight...” Sirius added.

“So what exactly did happen? How did you know where to find me?”

“That's how,” Sirius said, pointing to Harry. “He woke up in a cold sweat saying he just had a bizarre dream. He dreamed he was running through some trees, fell and injured his ankle. In the dream, he eventually came upon a ring of stones. He described the circle and Albus figured out the location. We went there and found you.”

Remus wasn't the only one shocked at this. The three Weasleys who hadn't been downstairs earlier were just as astounded. It was Remus who found his voice first.

“He...dreamed...about me?” Remus looked to Albus. “How is that even possible?”

“Sometimes Seers have--”

“Harry's not a Seer,” Remus interjected. “He's never shown that talent and you know as well as I do that one is born with it.”

The Headmaster pinned Remus with his blue gaze over the rims of his half-moon glasses. “Yes–and no. There have been the rare occasions where the talent has developed later due to some traumatic magical event. I do believe, however, that something else is at work here. You and Harry share a very close connection.”

Albus counted off on his fingers as he listed them. “You have raised him and loved him as if he were your own. You share the same affliction. And you were very close with his parents.” He held up his three fingers. “Three is a powerful number; almost as powerful as seven. Many believe it represents the unity of body, mind and spirit. Others believe it represents the past, present, and future. Even the Muggles believe in a Holy Trinity.”

“So what are you saying, Albus?”

“I'm saying that it appears the number three has seen fit to intervene and lend some of its magic to Harry. The three things I mentioned are a part of his past, so to speak. His present is also influenced by the number three.”

Remus rubbed his eyes. “Were you in Ravenclaw when you attended Hogwarts? If not, you should have been. You certainly love your riddles.”

Ignoring him, Dumbledore asked instead, “You do not see it, Sirius?” He hadn't expected Remus to understand since he didn't know of the apparent relationship between Harry and Ginny. Sirius did, though.

Bill was the first to get it and drew in a sharp breath. “I do.” He looked around at the others. “How many really important people does Harry have in his life now?”

Several pairs of eyes widened as the realization hit them and they turned to stare at the three. Remus stared back, confused and a little annoyed. There was obviously something he didn't know. Ginny had a little color staining her cheeks as she avoided everyone's eyes.

“Will someone please just tell me?” Remus asked, looking around.

Sirius grinned. “Oh, come on, Remus. Use that intellect you were known for in school. Who else in this room besides us is Harry close enough to in order to be considered important?”

It didn't take but a second to get who Sirius meant. He turned to the blushing girl. “You've been an amazing friend to Harry.”

Sirius actually snickered. “It's a little more than that now, Remus.”

“What?”

Sirius nodded. Remus looked around and found similarly amused expressions watching him and the girl beside him. Again, he turned to Ginny.

“Really?” At her shy nod, he grinned. “That's fantastic,” he said, earning him a relieved smile from the girl. “It's about time he figured it out.”

“I believe it is this trinity that has allowed Harry to connect to you once you entered the ring of stones.” Dumbledore continued explaining. “I might add that there are three rings of stones in that location. A temporary mental connection opened so Harry could find you.”

Remus gasped. “So that's what that was. Right after I activated the stones I felt something, like I was being watched and the feeling came from the center of the stone ring. When I looked, I...well, I thought I saw James. I couldn't see him very well, as if he was standing behind a gauzy curtain. It was really Harry that I saw?”

“I do believe so.”

“Well, however it happened, I'm glad it did.”

“Are you up to telling us what happened to you?”

“Oh, Albus, can't it wait until morning? I'm sure Remus is exhausted and poor Harry...”

“Yes, you're right, of course, Molly. Forgive me. I shall return right after the noon meal. Would that be agreeable to everyone?”

After getting the requisite affirmative nods, Dumbledore returned to Hogwarts. The twins and Percy returned to their rooms. Arthur banished the conjured chairs while Molly gathered blankets and a pillow for Remus.

“What do you want to do about him?” Sirius asked, pointing to Harry. “I can take him upstairs.”

“Yeah, he'd be more comfortable.”

Sirius removed the soundproofing bubble from around Harry. Remus tried to wake his nephew by gently shaking him and calling his name but got no response. Sirius worked his arms around Harry's middle and started to lift him until Harry let out a whimper and tightened his grip.

“It's okay, Harry,” Remus whispered. “I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. I promise. You'd just be more comfortable lying down instead of kneeling there like you are.”

Molly brought over several blankets and another pillow. “I have some extra blankets here. Let him sleep on the floor tonight. He'll feel better being close to you, I'm sure.”

As Molly set up the blankets and added a Cushioning Charm for comfort, Remus tried again to rouse Harry.

“Harry, Mrs. Weasley is setting up a bed for you down here next to the couch. Why don't you lie down? I'll be right next to you the entire time.”

“Promise?” Harry anxiously slurred the question, more asleep than awake.

“I promise.”

Harry's grip slackened. Sirius lifted Harry and settled him on the waiting bedding then removed Harry's glasses. Remus covered Harry with another blanket and tucked him in like he'd done so many times before. The teen rolled onto his side facing the couch and curled up, snuggling into the blankets.

“Alright,” Sirius said tiredly, then yawned. “Now that he's down, I'm going to bed. I'll see you tomorrow, Moony.”

“Yeah, good night.”

Sirius yawned again and wearily climbed the stairs to his room.

“I'm glad you're okay, Moony,” Ginny's soft voice whispered. “It would have devastated Harry if something happened to you.”

“Thank you, Ginny.” Remus reached out and squeezed the girl's hand. “You've done so much for him. I can never thank you enough.”

“Alright, Ginny, to bed with you,” Molly called softly.

0000000000


When Harry next opened his eyes, the dawn's light was just beginning to light the room. At first, he hadn't a clue where he was. Then the middle of the night's events came back to him and he bolted upright. This close, he could see enough to know it really was his uncle sleeping on the couch. Adrenaline gave way to relief. For several minutes, Harry just studied the man, reassuring himself that his uncle was fine. That had been something Harry never wanted to experience again. He didn't understand how it all happened but at that moment he didn't care. He had his uncle back. Still feeling tired, he lay back down and was soon sleeping again.

0000000000


“You stupid, filthy Muggle!”

“I'm not a Muggle! Don't call me that!”

“You might as well be. You let Lupin go, didn't you?”

“I didn't let him go.”

“He managed to get away on your watch and then you couldn't even chase him down! You let him get to the stones!”

“Well, how was I to know those stones would do that? It's your fault for keeping him within distance of that stupid circle to begin with!”

“What is going on here?” asked a third man.

The newcomer bore the air of aristocracy. It was in his clothes, his mannerisms, his bored yet hard voice. He looked very much out of place in the stone hovel where he now stood and it was obvious by the disdainful expression on his face that he felt he didn't belong there.

“Perkins let Lupin get away,” one man rushed to say.

Cold gray eyes flicked to Perkins. “Is that so?”

Perkins gulped and stammered, “T-Thomas l-left me al-lone with him. I-It's not m-my fault.”

Lucius pulled his wand from his ornate walking stick and Perkins' eyes widened. “I warned you both what would happen if you let me down,” he said, his voice soft but hard as steel. “Lupin was our link to the Potter brat. We were one step away from having Potter in our hands.”

Lucius pointed his wand at the now trembling Perkins. “Crucio!” After a minute of agonizing screams, Lucius lifted the curse. “Do not fail me again if you want to live.”

“We won't. Just remember our bargain.”

“I do not believe you are in any position to make demands, Thomas. Crucio!”

The one called Thomas fell to the ground, writhing and screaming. A few moments later, the curse was lifted from him.

“The next time you'd better hold him. And don't think you can just disappear. I'll find you.”

Neither man was in any condition to talk so Lucius turned on his heel and left, slipping his wand back into place, none too happy about having to revert back to his original plan of exposing the brat for the filthy creature that he was.

0000000000


Remus awoke to the sounds of soft conversation and sizzling bacon, both coming from the kitchen. The first thing he noticed was Harry, still sound asleep, and grinned. He had a hard time accepting the fact that he'd been found thanks to Harry's dream. Shoving that thought aside, he took in the folksy look of the Weasley house and immediately felt his decision to let Harry stay here was the right one. He hoped to get to know the Weasleys better, especially now that Harry and Ginny were more than just friends. He felt he needed to apologize to Molly and Arthur. They had to have been put in a very awkward situation with Harry's transformation.

Remus sat up and moved his foot around, testing his ankle. It didn't hurt anymore and was only mildly stiff. Carefully, he stood, stepped over Harry and made for the kitchen. Molly was cooking a huge breakfast. Arthur, Sirius, Bill and Charlie were sitting at the table.

“Good morning, Remus,” Molly greeted him. “Sit down and have some breakfast. Would you like some tea?”

“Yes, thank you. Sirius, would you mind getting some clothes from Hogwarts for me?”

“Now?”

“Yes, now. I'm not sure how much longer these clothes are going to last. I'd like to be clean at some point today.”

Bill eyed Remus a moment then said, “You look to be about my size. I don't mind lending you something.”

“I appreciate the gesture but I'd prefer it if Sirius did this for me.”

“Yeah, okay. I can see when I'm not wanted,” the former Marauder grumbled good-naturedly.

Once his friend was gone, Remus met the eyes of each of the Weasleys. “I feel I need to apologize to you all. I put you in an awkward position with Harry and I shouldn't have.”

The four exchanged puzzled glances. Molly brought over some bacon and dropped the rashers onto Remus' plate.

“I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about.”

“I'm talking about you discovering Harry's and my secret. That couldn't have been easy for you. I'm sorry I didn't say anything. I know I should have but I thought I'd be back in plenty of time. I--”

“Remus,” Arthur cut in. “You don't need to apologize. I can understand why you didn't say anything. Merlin knows, our society hasn't exactly been kind to werewolves in the past. I'll admit I panicked when I realized what was happening.” He then gave a little chuckle. “Cooler heads prevailed, my own daughter being one of them, and reminded me to practice what I preach. Ginny made sure to show us all just how safe it was to be around Harry. We, as a family, accept him as he is and that goes for you, as well.”

“Dumbledore didn't tell you, either?”

“No. He came over late Christmas Eve and told us you and Sirius were missing then tried to take Harry back to the castle.”

“I wouldn't let him,” Molly took up the story, stirring a big frying pan of eggs. “I yelled at him for dumping that news on Harry and then trying to take him away to a place that was cold and empty. I didn't realize he was trying to keep your secret.”

“Then it was too late to take Harry anywhere.”

“I'm sorry. He should have told you the instant it appeared Sirius or I wasn't going to get back in time.”

Bill shuddered. “Sorry,” he said when he realized Remus had noticed. “I don't think I'll ever get that out of my head and that was with Harry being outside.”

Charlie grimly nodded. “Yeah. Christmas morning was worse since Harry was in the sitting room for that change. I'm telling you, I nearly walked out of the house.” Just the memory turned Charlie's naturally pale complexion even paler.

Bill shook his head in disbelief. “I still don't know how you handle it. I would have gone insane.”

Remus shrugged. “We handle it because we have no other choice. I just wish there was a way to lessen the pain for Harry. I can honestly tell you that my transformations are nothing compared to his. Some try to put it on the same level as the Cruciatus, but having endured both, I can tell you that not even the Cruciatus matches how it feels to transform when you're young.”

“No one has figured out a way yet?”

“No, and it tears at me every full moon to hear him, knowing exactly what he's feeling and also knowing there's nothing I can do about it. I've never felt more inadequate, more helpless, than I do at those times.”

Mentally, he shook himself out of the melancholy mood. “Anyway, I wanted to say thank you for allowing Harry to stay and for treating him like you would anyone else. Harry hasn't known much acceptance, I'm sad to say, so it means a lot to hear you say that you're okay with him.” He cleared his throat a little before continuing. “And you're okay with Harry and Ginny, er, well, you know...?”

Molly slid some eggs onto Remus plate and then added toast. “Arthur and I talked about it and we came to the conclusion that since Harry had been so careful about taking that potion, we'd allow them to continue as long as it stayed innocent. I'm glad we've gotten to know him. He's a wonderful boy. So polite.”

“He even gave us Christmas gifts,” Arthur added. “It certainly wasn't necessary.”

Remus' brows rose. “He did? He never mentioned to me he was doing that.” Remus looked a little apprehensive. “Did he do okay?”

“Absolutely!” Arthur beamed and started to stand.

“Later, Arthur,” Molly told her husband, a little exasperated but more amused. “He gave Arthur some kind of specially controlled airplane and gave me a cookbook for my recipes. Very thoughtful gifts.”

“Good. So. When did Harry finally figure things out in regards to Ginny? He's fancied her since Halloween, I think, but just didn't realize it.”

“Just before Christmas, I believe.” Molly smiled and joined the others at the table.

“I wish I could have been here to see it. Whenever I see him with Ginny, I think of James and Lily. Harry looks just like his father and Ginny bears a passing resemblance to Lily except Lily's hair was a deeper red. Here, let me show you.” Remus dug into his pocket and pulled out his pocketwatch. “I managed to grab this before I escaped. I wish I knew what they'd done with my wand. Anyway, take a look.”

Remus opened the watch to show the picture he kept on the inside opposite the watch face. It was a photograph of James, Lily, Sirius and himself in their seventh year. Peter had been off doing something else at the time and Remus now wondered if the rat had been contacting some Death Eaters.

“That's incredible.”

It was quite obvious, even though Harry and his father were of different ages, that Harry greatly resembled his dad. Arthur passed the watch over to his wife.

“Oh my goodness!” Molly handed the watch to Bill, who whistled and passed the watch to Charlie.

“That's just...weird. Ginny does resemble Harry's mum a little.”

“You should see the picture album Moony has with photos of Harry and his dad at the same age,” Ginny said, wandering into the kitchen and plopping down at her usual spot.

“Good idea, Ginny.” Remus conjured his Patronus, spoke to it and sent it away. Grinning at Ginny, he explained. “I told Sirius to grab it while he was getting me some clothes.”

Remus took his watch back from Charlie. “Harry is very much like James and not just in looks. He's stubborn, he's mischievous when he wants to be, can be a little reckless, quick to temper and is moody, but he also is a lot like Lily. As Ginny already knows, he'll defend others. I've seen him do it with total strangers on the street. He's very smart and enjoys reading, much like Lily did. You know, it's funny. Sometimes his temper is a quick flash and it's done. Other times it's a slow simmer and that's when you need to get out of the way because once it explodes it's not pretty.”

Charlie laughed. “Sounds like Ginny.” He instantly sobered at the mischievous gleam in her eyes.

Remus grinned. “I guess it depends on what irritated him.”

He thought of his and Sirius' conversation with Harry before Christmas and laughed. He almost didn't say anything with Ginny present but he couldn't pass up the opportunity to tease both his nephew and Ginny at the same time.

“Nearly every male Potter in Harry's ancestry has ended up with a redhead. Sirius and I call it the Potter Curse. What's even funnier is that Harry told us that it wouldn't get him.”

“You're not suggesting--”

“Of course not, Molly.” He grinned at Ginny's blush and gave her a wink. “I'm just saying that a redhead has caught the eye of ninety-nine percent of the male Potters. Although, don't be too surprised if it did one day become a reality.”

“Well, that's far off into the future. They're way too young to be thinking like that.” Molly either missed or ignored Ginny's rolling eyes and the shake of her head.

Remus sighed. “About that. How much do you know? In regards to Harry, I mean. Did Dumbledore say anything to you about what he's facing?”

“You mean the prophecy?” Bill asked quietly.

“So he did tell you about it. Did he tell you what it said?”

Molly slid a glance in Ginny's direction. “Maybe that conversation is best left for another time.”

“I already know what it says, Mum. Harry told me on Halloween.”

“Oh. Well...”

“Dumbledore told us that Harry is the one we're all depending on, yes,” Arthur replied. He shook his head. “I hate the idea of him having to bear that responsibility. No one person should have to and especially not someone so young.”

“I agree but there's nothing that can be done. Voldemort sealed Harry's fate with the attack that Halloween night. All we can do now is support Harry and train him. I expect Dumbledore will be wanting to begin that soon.”

“What of Ginny? Will she be in any danger? I'm sure everyone at school knows how close the two of them are.”

Ginny looked up from her breakfast, her chin tilting, ready to adamantly refuse to stop being around Harry.

Remus noted the girl's tensed posture, the stubborn chin and knew exactly what she was thinking.

“Would you be opposed to Ginny being trained with Harry?”

That stubborn chin dropped a little in surprise, her amber eyes widening.

“Oh, I don't know.” Molly obviously didn't think much of that idea.

“It would make sense, Mum,” Bill said, also having seen the defiant posture his sister had taken. “I get the feeling if Harry thinks he's putting her in danger, he'll let her go, effectively making them both unhappy. Is that what you'd prefer?”

“Well, of course not, but--”

“Talk to Albus and see if he is willing to train Ginny, too,” Arthur said, cutting off her response. “We'll make our decision based on what he says.”

Ginny beamed at her father for not rejecting the idea immediately. He noticed and sent her a smile and quick wink.

“Fair enough,” Remus replied.

The sound of Apparition made them all jump a little. Sirius came in through the front door, bypassed Harry and entered the kitchen.

“Took you long enough,” Remus said with a drop of sarcasm in his voice.

“Here, oh master.” Sirius dropped some clothes and the requested album into Remus' arms. “Anything else the master wants?”

Remus laughed and gave his friend a shove. “Shut it, Padfoot.” Remus finished his breakfast and stood. “Here's the pictures Ginny mentioned. I'm going to get a shower while I still can.”

0000000000


Ginny took the album and turned to the first of the three pages that displayed the father and son resemblance. “There's only three pages right now that have photos of both of them. Moony has it set up for future photos to be added. Take a look.”

Arthur took the album and studied the first set of photos. “Simply amazing. I'd almost swear it was the same boy in both photos. The eyes, of course, give away the fact that it isn't.”

“Oh, isn't he the cutest? And yes, that's absolutely remarkable. I don't think I've ever seen a resemblance like that before.”

Bill studied the photos in the album. “It's not just the color of his eyes that are different though. It's the look in them. James' eyes were full of life and merriment but in Harry's all you can see is numbness, a distance. He may be smiling in the picture but you'd never know it just by looking at his eyes.”

“Hmmm. Yeah,” Charlie agreed, getting his turn to peruse the photographs. “I agree. There's an aloofness there that isn't present in his dad's pictures.” Charlie flipped through some of the earlier pictures. “She was really pretty,” he said softly after finding a wedding photo of Harry's parents.

Sirius took the album and flipped to a few later pages and snickered. “Harry will probably hate me for showing you any of these but...”

He handed the album directly to Molly and waited for the usual gushing. The wait wasn't a long one.

“Oh my goodness! Oh, he was such an adorable little thing. How old was he in this picture?”

A quick glance at the photo confirmed which one she was looking at. It was a picture of himself as Padfoot lying on his side on the floor with Harry sound asleep on his tiny knees, stretched over the dog's chest, one arm across Padfoot's back, the other arm draped over Padfoot's shoulder.

“He was about a year old if I remember correctly.” He smiled fondly at the memory. “Harry didn't want to lie down for his nap so I played with him until he couldn't stay awake any longer.”

You played?” Charlie asked, brows raised.

“I'm an animagus.” Sirius pointed to the picture. “That's my form–Padfoot.”

“Ah, so that's why Remus called you that. I had wondered what kind of nickname it was.”

“It hearkens back to our Hogwarts days. The four of us, Remus, myself, James and Peter, called ourselves The Marauders and pulled some great pranks in our day. Oh, that reminds me. Fred and George are trying to prank me so be forewarned.”

At that moment, Harry, rubbing an eye and yawning, stumbled into the kitchen and dropped into “his” chair beside Ginny.

“Hey, kiddo. No more weird dreams I take it.”

“Nope,” Harry said, suppressing another yawn. “Nothing at all.” His eyes landed on the familiar bound book and he groaned. “Oh, you didn't. Please tell me you didn't.”

At Sirius' barking laughter, Harry felt the heat creep up his neck, into his cheeks and even into his ears. There were terribly embarrassing pictures of himself in there.

“I didn't,” Sirius said, still grinning wickedly. “Moony did.”

Harry groaned again and buried his head in his hands, elbows on the table. He got nudged in the side and a gently laughing Ginny spoke.

“Oh, come on, Harry. You were adorable when you were little.”

Harry's head flew up and he stared at Ginny, horror on his face. “You saw them, too?”

“Actually, I saw them a long time ago.” She shrugged and grinned.

“Where is he?”

“Safe for the moment. He's taking a shower.”

A wicked grin slowly spread across Harry's face, his eyes suddenly glittering like jewels. “Oh, you think he's safe do you?”

“I feel a prank coming on,” Bill muttered to his brother.

“Sirius, does he still have his wand? I don't remember seeing him with one.”

“No, he doesn't.”

Harry's grin grew wider. “Even better.”

Very calmly, Harry left the table. Standing at the foot of the stairs, he summoned Remus' clothes. Carrying them back to the table, he sat down and began to eat, completely ignoring the gazes of all those assembled at the table. It wasn't long before the sound of water rushing through the pipes stopped. Then the bathroom door opened.

“Harry! Sirius! Which one of you did it?”

Sirius got up to stand by the stairs and yell up at his friend. “What makes you think one of us did it? It could have been Fred or George, you know.”

Neither man was concerned about noise as thumps and pops had previously come from the twins' room masking the men's raised voices–at first. By the time Sirius mentioned the twins by name the sounds had stopped. A bedroom door opened and Fred stuck his head out.

“What have I or my esteemed brother supposedly done?”

Fred walked out to the landing and looked up and fought hard to contain his laughter. George joined his brother at the railing but didn't have much success keeping the delight from showing on his face. Remus stood at the top of the stairs on the third floor, hands tightly clutching a towel around his waist, water pooling at his feet.

“Where are my clothes?” Remus demanded of the twins.

Fred shrugged. “How should we know? We were in our room minding our own business until Sirius woke up so we could get down to business.”

“Right,” George agreed and looked down at Sirius. “Rather poor form throwing our names out there. He's our professor. Do we look stupid to you?”

“No,” Sirius shot back. “But I also know neither of you care about your grades all that much and I thought you two would be brilliant enough to try to use the 'he's our professor' defense to throw suspicion off you.”

George turned to his brother. “He's got a point there, Freddie.”

“Hmmm. Yes, so he does.”

Remus sighed. “I'd really like to get my clothes back.”

“Well, let's see,” Sirius pondered a moment, stroking his chin, only his gray eyes giving away the fact he was very much enjoying himself. “Did you do something someone would think deserving of a prank?”

There was a pause and then... “Harry! Give them back!”

“Come and get them if you want them that badly,” Harry yelled back.

“I can't and you know it!”

“You're no fun,” Harry said appearing next to Sirius.

Harry took out his wand again and sent the stolen clothing shooting up to his uncle then put his wand away.

“Harry, what did you do?!”

Remus struggled to hold on with one hand to the towel currently keeping him modest while his other hand flailed around trying to catch the clothes floating around him, teasing him by jumping out of his reach any time he got close.

“What did you do?” Harry countered.

“I'm sorry for bringing out the album, alright?”

“No, you're not,” Harry responded with a laugh. “But here, I'll take pity on you.”

Harry waved his wand and the clothes fell to the floor, except for one sock that landed on Remus' head. The man stood there for a moment, sock hanging in front of his face, staring at his nephew. He wasn't really upset. He'd expected this. After all, it was how Harry often responded in the past to overwhelming emotions. Many a time, Harry had cried in his arms and then, Remus guessed, to hide his embarrassment at having done so, not to mention just from the sheer elation following such an emotional purging, Harry had pulled some practical joke on him. More than likely there would be more to come.

“Thank you.”

Remus gathered up his clothes and disappeared back into the loo. The twins fell over themselves laughing.

“Harry, that was great! Anytime you want to join us, just let us know.”

“Oh, the show isn't over yet,” Harry cheekily responded. With a mysterious smile, he returned to the kitchen.

“What did you do now?” Sirius asked, following his godson, a huge smile on his face.

“You'll see.”

“Harry James Potter!” Remus' voice grew louder as he flew down the stairs. “Prepare for retaliation, Pup, because I have a wand and I very much plan to use it!”

Harry's eyes widened. “Uh-oh. Where did he...? Never mind. Gotta go!”

Grabbing his cloak and gloves from beside the back door, Harry tore out into the yard throwing on his winter gear as he did so, looking back only once to see Remus stalking him, wand in hand and a smirk on his face, his clothes puffed out from his body as if blown up like a balloon, his now black hair long and stringy with a white stripe down the center like a skunk.

“You really think you can outrun me, Pup? By all means, try.”

And try Harry did, but it didn't matter. A well-placed jinx had him tripping and landing spectacularly in the snow. Another direct hit from the borrowed wand sent him into fits of laughter. Harry rolled around on the ground, holding his stomach, laughing so hard tears leaked from his eyes. When he absolutely couldn't stand it any more, he begged for mercy.

“Alright! Alright!” Harry managed in between laughs. “I give up! Now make it stop! Please!”

Instantly, the tickling sensation vanished. Harry lay on the snowy ground, icy water seeping through his cloak and trousers, wetting his hair, panting and smiling.

“You just never learn do you?” Remus asked, grinning madly.

He offered Harry a hand up, which Harry clasped and then yanked hard enough to unbalance Remus. He laughed when Remus hit the frozen ground beside him.

“Apparently I'm not the only one.”

Harry sat up and leaned on his hands snickering as his uncle sputtered and wiped the snow out of his face. Remus sat up and looked over at Harry.

“So, you and Ginny, huh?”

Harry's face turned such a deep red he was surprised the snow didn't melt from the heat radiating off him but he laughed sheepishly.

“I told you,” Remus said, humor in his voice. “Potters and redheads.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah.” Then a thought struck him. “What about you?”

“What do you mean 'what about me'?”

“When are you going to find a girl?”

“Hmmm. You know what? It's getting rather cold. Let's get inside.”

“Yeah, okay.” His tone of voice made it plain he knew Remus was dodging the question. “Er, Uncle Remus, the Map...well, Ginny's brothers had stolen it from Filch and gave it her. She gave it to me for Christmas but, er, well... It got torn in two. I'm so sorry. Please tell me you can fix it.”

“Of course it can be fixed, Harry. Bring it to me and I'll take care of it.”

Harry let out a relieved breath. “Good. Okay.”

On the back porch, Remus used his borrowed wand to dry their clothes so they didn't track water into the Weasleys' house.

“Where did you get that?”

“Fred gave it to me to use.”

“Figures. They're supposed to be trying for Sirius, not me.”

“He said he couldn't resist.” Remus shrugged. “Who am I to turn down the chance for retaliation?”

They stepped inside and Molly greeted them with steaming mugs of cocoa. Each thanked her and sat at the table, Harry removing his cloak and gloves. When Remus asked about Harry's homework, Harry filled him in on what he'd managed to accomplish.

“I can't get it again, though, no matter how hard I try.”

“Well, Harry, the Silencing Charm is a fifth year spell. The fact you got it to work at all is something to be proud of. And, obviously, your Summoning Charm has improved a lot, as well. You've done well.”

Harry shrugged. “The distance to the loo wasn't all that great. I'm still having trouble with greater distances.”

“It'll come, Harry. Don't worry.”

Ron finally stumbled into the kitchen and was a bit taken aback seeing his Defense professor and another strange man at their table. Taking his place, his gaze skittered around him. His mum was already in the process of getting things prepared for lunch even though it was still a couple hours away. His dad sat at his customary spot at the head of the table. Both his oldest brothers sat in their spots talking to the stranger. Harry sat next to the professor–well, Harry's uncle–and Ginny sat next to Harry. He watched as his professor handed over Fred's wand and thanked him for its use. Ron figured Percy had come down already and was back in his room.

“Professor,” Ron mumbled his greeting.

Remus felt Harry's tension with the appearance of the youngest Weasley brother. He'd known from what he'd observed at school that Harry and Ron didn't get along well, he just didn't realize their interactions were so frosty. Molly came over and put a filled plate in front of Ron.

“Anything else I can get you, Remus? Harry?”

Because he'd been watching, he noticed the narrowing of Ron's eyes. The boy clearly wasn't happy. Or maybe it was just that he wasn't comfortable being around werewolves, not that Remus blamed him. Considering how awful werewolves were made out to be, it somewhat surprised him that anyone would look past that and see who they truly were.

“No, Mrs. Weasley, I'm fine. Thank you.”

Harry's response shook him out of his reverie. “No, thank you, Molly. As a matter of fact, we should go.” To Harry he said, “Go get your bag, Harry.”

Reluctantly, Harry left the kitchen, Ginny following behind him.

“Go? Go where?”

“Back to Hogwarts. We've intruded long enough, I think. You've had Harry way longer than you'd planned and–“

“Oh, nonsense. I told you before we've enjoyed having Harry with us. Besides, it'll be lunchtime soon and Albus was coming by soon after that.”

“We could always come back for that.”

“No. I won't hear of it,” Molly declared, hands on her hips. “ Alone in that drafty old castle during the holidays is no place for any of you, especially not Harry. Stay until the day the kids go back to school. It's only a couple more days.”

Across from Remus, Ron's face began turning red and the boy gripped his fork in a white knuckled grip.

“I just don't want to wear out our welcome. It's not going to hurt us to go back to Hogwarts. Like you said, it's only a couple of days.”

“Remus,” Sirius quietly got his friend's attention. “Would it really hurt to stay here?”

“I'm not interested in your prank war, Sirius,” Remus sharply retorted.

“That's not why I ask. I'm thinking of Harry,” Sirius snapped back. He took a breath and continued more calmly. “Being here has done wonders for him. His friends are here. Give him a little longer with them. Harry wouldn't say anything but I know he'd rather stay here with Ginny.”

“Sirius–“ Remus started to respond, getting more irritated by the second at having his decision questioned by someone who thought he knew best.

Hearing that note of irritation, Sirius jumped in. “Oh, come on, Remus. Young love. You remember what's it's like, don't you? Hmm. Well, maybe you don't. You didn't really date anyone but I remember what's it's like. When it's new like that, all you want is to be together. Are you seriously going to deny him that?”

Ron abruptly stood up, mouth full, and nearly stomped out of the room. Arthur, apparently putting together Remus' reluctance with Ron's behavior also weighed in.

“Remus, I apologize for my son's behavior. He's confused and unsettled, but please don't let him run you off. Molly and I would love to have the three of you stay until term starts again.”

Remus looked around at those remaining in the kitchen. They all either wore beseeching expressions or ones of cautious hope. He sighed, reigning in his irritation.

“Alright, I suppose.”

“Yes!” the twins said simultaneously. Both ran out of the room, presumably to let Harry know the good news.

“It really is best for Harry,” Sirius reassured his friend. “He'll be with his friends without the hassle of school demands.”

“You can stop laying it on so thick, Sirius. I get it.” To Molly he asked, “Is there anything I can do to help you? You've quite the crowd to prepare for.”

“Absolutely not,” she said, turning to him and smiling. “I'll tell you the same thing I told Harry when he asked. You're a guest in this house. I don't put guests to work.”

“Are you sure? Because I don't mind.”

“Remus, you're better off just letting her go,” joked Arthur. “The kitchen has always been her domain and she prefers to keep it to herself.”

“Okay, then. I just thought I'd offer. I do need to go back to Hogwarts and get Harry's present and some more clothes since Sirius didn't get but one set of clothing for me. I'll be back.”

Remus was nearly to the front door when Harry stopped him.

“Are we not staying?”

Remus turned back and nearly grinned. Harry had just descended the stairs, his Firebolt in one hand and Ginny's hand clasped in his other one.

“Just going to get some more clothes. I can't keep wearing these. Do you want me to pick up another set of clothes for you?”

“Oh, sure. By the way, your Christmas present is in my trunk. Sirius' too.”

“Alright. That was another thing I was planning on bringing back. I'll try not to be gone too long. I need to stop by Ollivander's shop since my other wand is lost.”

“Is Sirius going with you?”

“No. I'm not fond of the idea of the both of us being gone at the same time again.” Remus nodded towards the broom. “Going flying?”

“Ginny is. She's playing in Gryffindor's next game so she wanted to get some practice in. Maybe we can get a little game going.”

“Sounds good. I hope I get back in time to see it.”

“Be careful.”

Hearing the anxiety behind the words, Remus walked over and put his hands on Harry's shoulders, looked in straight in the eye. “I will be. I promise.”

“Go to Ollivander's shop first. Please?”

Remus cupped Harry's face and smiled sadly. “Alright. I'd say that it was my place to worry about you but, after what's already happened, saying it would probably be pointless.” He forced a happier expression on his face as he mussed Harry's hair. “I'll be back soon.”

“Do you want my wand again?” Fred asked, coming up behind Harry and Ginny. “Don't you need one to Apparate?”

“A wand helps but if you can concentrate well enough then one isn't necessary. I've apparated many times without one. Thank you, though.”

As Remus reached the front door he heard Ginny softly coaxing Harry outside and this time a genuine smile tilted a corner of his mouth upward. Just like Lily.

0000000000


While Ginny was getting in some flying practice, big fat snowflakes fell furiously to ground, effectively cutting short her flight. She didn't let that dampen her spirits. Taking Harry's hand, she led him to her favorite spot. The crystal clear water continued to gurgle along, the snowflakes making tiny ripples in the river's surface before they faded into the water.

Finding a flat rock to sit on, Harry cleared away the snow then lowered himself carefully onto it, setting his broom aside, his feet dangling a few inches above the water. Despite his uncle's reassurances, Harry was worried something would happen. Somehow someone had found out about the relationship between them. Harry supposed it wouldn't be too hard to find out his parents had been close friends with Remus and then make the assumption Harry would be close with Remus, as well. He stared at the water, feeling guilty for putting his uncle in danger no matter how irrational it was to feel that way.

Kneeling slightly behind him on Harry's left side, Ginny folded her arms onto his shoulder.

“He'll be okay, Harry. I know he will be. He agreed to get a wand first before doing anything else.”

Harry looked up at his friend. She seemed so certain she was right. Her conviction illuminated her cinnamon eyes. Her mouth turned upward in an encouraging smile. With her ruddy cheeks, tiny freckles and that fiery hair making such a sharp contrast to to the world around them, Harry didn't think he'd ever seen her so pretty. Her optimism warmed him, changing his sullen mood.

“Thanks.”

Closing the small space between them, Harry pressed his lips to hers, lingering there. A loud throat clearing separated the two. Harry sighed in frustration and tried to glare at his godfather, who clearly found it amusing to interrupt them.

“Sorry,” he said, though he had a huge grin on his face. “Molly felt you'd been out in the cold long enough and since you two had disappeared–alone–I thought I'd best be the one to find you.”

“Yeah, right,” Harry muttered. “Jumped at the chance to find us is more like.”

Ginny carefully stood and swiped at the wetness and dirt on her knees. With his first step onto a flat rock at the river's edge, Harry's foot slid on a thin coating of ice right out from under him sending him falling backward toward the river. Ginny caught him but his momentum kept him falling so he pushed her away, hoping she'd stay dry, and splashed into the freezing water. Thankfully, it wasn't deep because as soon as he hit and submerged, he reflexively gasped in shock and immediately choked.

Standing, the water came almost to his chest. Violently shivering, Harry waded the few steps necessary to take Sirius' offered hand and scaled the riverbank, hacking and coughing. Sirius was all over Harry the instant Harry was clear of the river.

“Are you okay? We need to get you back to the house–and fast.” Spying Harry's broom, Sirius picked it up. “Here, take this.” As Harry continued to try to clear his lungs, Sirius changed his mind. “On second thought, that might freeze you more, all that wind and everything. Come on, let's just go. Are you sure you're okay, Harry? I can carry you if I need to. I really wish I had my wand right now. I shouldn't have left it inside. Remus will kill me if you end up sick again.”

“I'll be fine,” Harry croaked. His teeth started chattering.

Taking Harry by the arm, Sirius quickly led him back to the house, Ginny practically running to keep up.

“Molly! Help!” Sirius called out when they were close to the back door.

“Sirius? What's wro–?” One look at Harry told her exactly what was wrong. “Oh, my goodness! You poor thing!”

A quick wave of her wand and Harry's clothes went from sopping wet and frosty to dry and toasty warm. Another wave of the wand dried his hair. Sirius pushed Harry into the sitting room and sat him right in front of the fire. Molly soon came bustling in carrying a mug of steaming liquid which Harry assumed was hot chocolate. To his surprise, it wasn't. It was an orange-brown frothy liquid.

“This will warm you up inside faster than just about anything else,” Molly explained after noting Harry's surprise.

“Thanks.”

Cupping the mug with both hands, Harry took a sip of the butterbeer and sighed as it blazed a path down his throat and into his stomach, blessed heat beginning the thawing process. Molly, hands on her hips, turned on Sirius.

“And how exactly did Harry come to be dripping wet?”

After another sip, Harry defended his godfather. “It was an accident. I slipped, lost my balance and fell into the river.”

“Well...alright then,” Molly said though she sounded very reluctant to let Sirius off the hook. “Harry, finish the entire cup and you'll feel much better.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.” Molly returned to the kitchen to finish lunch preparations. Noticing Sirius watching him anxiously, Harry joked, “Don't worry. I have no intention of joining the Polar Bear Swim Club.”

Ginny gave him a look that clearly said she thought he'd lost his mind and he laughed. “It's an American thing. In the dead of winter, people jump into freezing water for no other reason than to be weird and usually wearing a lot less than I am now.”

“How do you know about it?”

“Someone Uncle Remus used to work for was from America and the guy used to do the swims.”

“Sounds utterly ridiculous to me,” Ginny declared.

“And what would that be?” Fred asked as he and George came down the stairs.

“Harry, do you need a blanket?” Sirius didn't wait for answer. He grabbed one and draped it around Harry's shoulders.

“Something happen to Harry?” George asked.

“Fell in the river,” Harry said with a shudder. He flexed and shook one hand then the other as the pins and needles sensation of blood flowing back into them hit.

“We always miss the good stuff, brother of mine.”

“Yes, we do. A shame.”

The butterbeer half gone, Harry was finally starting to feel toasty. His muscles relaxed and he suddenly had the urge to curl up in the blanket and sleep, barely suppressing a yawn. A few swallows later and his cup was empty. As he tried really hard not to yawn again, Ginny took his cup into the kitchen then took the Firebolt up to his room. She was returning to the sitting room when the crack of apparition echoed in the front yard. Sirius rushed over to one of the windows, his tense stance relaxing.

“Remus is back.”

Remus stepped into the house and handed his wand to Sirius. “Double check and make sure I'm me.”

“What?”

“Someone knows of my relationship with Harry. You need to know for certain I really am Remus Lupin.”

Harry, still draped in the blanket, stood and asked, “What was in your office when Ginny and I first went there to talk to you?”

Remus turned his attention to Harry and frowned. “Why are you all covered up? Did something happen? Are you okay?”

Remus took a step toward Harry but Sirius blocked his path. “Answer the question first.”

“What? Oh. Harry, there was a tank in my office with a grindylow from the Black Lake in it. I had to reassure Miss Weasley they weren't near the shore.”

Sirius got verification from Harry before he let Remus move any farther. Remus immediately went to see how Harry was doing, looking worried.

“It's nothing, really. I just slipped and fell into the river is all. I'm actually feeling warm again.”

Harry made to remove the blanket but Remus shoved it back onto Harry's shoulders. “Keep it. I don't want you getting sick again.” His hand came up and felt Harry's forehead.

Harry fought really hard not to sigh in exasperation. “I'm fine. I'm not going to get sick again. The only reason I got sick before is because I was stuck out in that horrible weather for so long. You know I only get sick once a year.”

“Yes, well, there's always a first and this year has been full of them already.”

Harry had to concede that point. After all, one of the 'firsts' was standing right next to him doing her best not to laugh. The sound of Apparition set everyone's nerves on edge. Remus and Sirius checked out the windows but relaxed. Remus opened the door to Dumbledore. After verifying he was indeed, Albus Dumbledore, Molly invited him inside. One look at the wizened man made everyone present tense again.

“I have some news,” the Headmaster said gravely.





















Reviews 272
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear