Search:

SIYE Time:12:14 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Beast Within
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 272
Summary: Two pivotal things happen the night of October 31, 1981. They will change the course of Harry's life. Forever.





Posting issue resolved. For the moment at least and hopefully permanently.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152339; Chapter Total: 5733
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
oh look, another chapter! Enjoy!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“from a child in danger to a dangerous child” 
― Edward Humes, No Matter How Loud I Shout: A Year in the Life of Juvenile Court


“What news? What's happened?”

Albus sat heavily on one of the chairs. “The first part of the news concerns Remus and Harry.” He looked around the room. “Please. May we have a few minutes?”

Molly obliged by shuffling the twins off into the kitchen then yelled up the stairs that if either Percy or Ron wanted anything to eat or drink, they needed to come down immediately. Ron thundered down the stairs and dashed into the kitchen. Percy primly descended into the sitting room, nodded to the Headmaster and entered the other room. Molly shoo-ed Bill and Charlie through the door, as well. She turned back to admonish Ginny for not having moved yet, but upon noticing how tightly Harry clutched her hand, she kept silent and joined her family so only Remus, Harry, Sirius and Ginny remained with Albus.

“Greyback is dead,” Albus said bluntly. “He was found with a stab wound in the vicinity of his heart. However, that's not what killed him. He died of silver poisoning.”

The news hit Harry like a punch to the stomach, the air whooshing right out of his lungs. A tiny distressed sound left his throat. Immediately, Remus was on Harry's other side gripping Harry's elbow. Harry looked up at his uncle, not sure what to think, how to feel. The man didn't look as if he knew how to react, either. Without any thought, Harry let himself be led to the couch, uncle on one side, Ginny on his other, her hand still caught in his.

“Who did it?” Sirius asked, his voice scratchy. “I won't bother with the 'why'.”

“We don't know, Sirius. That's not all. Several werewolves were found dead–all of silver poisoning, all with the same stab wound.”

“How do you know all this?” the head of the Black family asked.

“I have many contacts. I've been trying to get many of the werewolf communities to our side of the coming conflict, as Remus now knows.”

“Albus,” Remus spoke softly, reluctantly, as if voicing his question would make it be true. “Do you think someone is...hunting...werewolves?”

“I'm afraid it looks that way at the moment. Everything that could possibly be done to find the culprit is being done.”

“That's not good enough, Professor.” All eyes turned to Ginny and she blushed slightly, but her eyes held determination. “Harry and Moony haven't even been at Hogwarts for very long and their secret has already been threatened. Harry's been attacked once already. What are you going to do to make sure they stay safe at school?”

Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing. Albus Dumbledore was a wizard everyone revered and here was Ginny practically telling him off. Her defense sent little fireworks of pleasure shooting through him and actually brought tears to his eyes. Sure, Remus had defended him before and Sirius probably had too, but it was different with Ginny. He wasn't sure how it was different, he just knew that it was. He squeezed her hand to show his appreciation and received a smile in return.

“Well, that is something I hope to discuss with your brother Bill. Perhaps between the two of us we can come up with a good system in place.”

The Floo activated and moments later, Arthur stepped through looking grim. “Hello all.”

“Let's get everyone in here and I'll share the other bit of news I have.”

Arthur poked his head into the kitchen, murmured something then withdrew, the rest of the family following behind. Once everyone was situated, Albus sent a questioning look to Remus who gave a single slight nod. The Headmaster took a few minutes filling the others in on the werewolf situation.

“You think someone is targeting werewolves?”

“I do, Bill, though I'm not sure why. Two explanations could be possible, both of which are disconcerting. One being that someone else out there knows of the prophecy and Harry's role in it and also knows he's a werewolf. It's possible this person is trying to send Harry back into hiding, making him afraid to venture out amongst others.”

“But wouldn't it make more sense if the person knows the prophecy that they would want to get rid of Harry?”

Bill turned to Harry. “I don't mean to sound so callous.”

“I understand, Bill. You have a good point. That would make more sense.”

“Not if this person doesn't want any harm to come to Harry.”

“Okay, I'm confused now,” Charlie said shaking his head. “If this person is willing to kill, then he'd be on You-Know-Who's side, wouldn't he? Why wouldn't he want harm to come to Harry?”

Too, Charlie turned to Harry. “Sorry. I know how that sounds.” Harry nodded in acknowledgment.

“This brings us to my other thought on the situation. It is possible this person has had a family member turned and is seeking revenge on werewolves in general.”

“Meaning it has nothing to do with Harry at all,” Remus said.

Albus nodded. “It is hard to say without having more information.”

“Albus,” Remus now asked, speaking very deliberately. “I need the absolute truth, your very honest opinion. Is Harry still safe at Hogwarts or would it be best to hide him?”

“Uncle Remus--” Harry started to protest but Remus cut him off.

“Harry, I'm not taking any chances with your life. I lost your parents. I'm not losing you.”

“Do I not get a say in this?” Harry asked, his irritation building. “I mean, it is my life, after all. You said yourself I needed to learn from experts in their fields. How am I going to do that if I'm not at Hogwarts?”

“Harry, this is not open for discussion.”

Stunned silent, everyone's gaze jumped between the two.

“Well, too bad because I want to discuss it!” Harry was well and truly angry now. He stood, arms crossed over his chest and looked down upon his uncle. “You pushed me into going to Hogwarts, you pushed me into making friends and now you want to take it away because things have gotten complicated? You know as well as I do that I need to stay at school. I need to be ready for when Voldemort does finally come back.”

Remus stood, too, facing Harry, his voice low and firm, a warning tone evident. “Harry, this is not the time–“

“This is exactly the time!”

“Harry if you're not safe,” Remus' voice began to rise in conjunction with his anger, “you will be taken out of Hogwarts until it blows over! I will not lose–“

“This isn't about you anymore! This is about what I want and what I need! It stopped being about you the moment you convinced me to go to Hogwarts in the first place!”

“Don't take that attitude with me, Harry. I am your guardian and I will do as I see fit.”

My attitude? What about yours? You're the one refusing to even listen to a word I'm saying!”

“Harry, you're being disrespectful and I won't stand for it.”

“Well, if that's what it takes to make you listen...”

Remus reached out to grab Harry but Sirius jumped between them. “Moony, go cool off and think about what you're doing.” He turned to Harry. “Take some time up in your room.”

At first, Harry wanted to argue with Sirius but thought better of it. His godfather didn't deserve to have any anger taken out on him. He threw a glare at his uncle before stalking off, taking the stairs two at a time, muttering under his breath.

Sirius turned back to Remus. “You're still here? Go! Now! I don't care if is cold outside. It'll do you some good. Maybe then, you'll start thinking a little more clearly.”

Remus' eyes narrowed a bit before turning and quickly leaving the room. Seconds later, the back door shut forcefully. Sirius returned his attention the those in the room and cleared his throat.

“I'm sorry you had to see that. It's nothing to worry about. I've seen it lots of times.”

“It's not been like this before,” Ginny said anxiously.

Sirius gave her a reassuring smile. “No, it hasn't.” He gave a single laugh and muttered, “I had wondered when it would start.” To the others, he explained, “If you know anything about wolves, you know there's a hierarchy in the pack–the Alpha, or leader, and the others who are subservient. At some point in time, a younger wolf tries to challenge the Alpha for dominance. Remus has always been the Alpha. What you just witnessed was a young wolf making his challenge.” Sirius shrugged. “Give them a few minutes and they'll realize that themselves.”

Sure enough, five minutes later Remus came back in and headed straight for the stairs, all anger now gone. A knock on a door, a door opening, some quiet conversation and then the sound of a door closing drifted down to those in the sitting room.

Sirius grinned. “See? All is already forgiven.”

Another five minutes later, Remus and Harry returned to the sitting room, Remus' hand resting lightly on Harry's shoulder, Harry's hands in his pockets.

“Sorry about that,” Remus apologized. “I don't know what Sirius has told you–“

“I explained, Moony,” Sirius informed him.

Remus nodded. “Good.” To Albus, he said, “Harry's right. He needs to stay at Hogwarts.”

As the two of them retook their seats, Albus nodded. “I'm glad you have come to that conclusion. It makes it easy telling you the other bit of news I have.” He looked around at all the pale faces before returning his blue eyes to Remus and Harry. “There's been another prophecy.”

Harry grabbed Remus' arm to help steady himself. “What?”

“The flame has awakened the wolf from its long slumber. The wolf and the flame no longer dance. The wolf has been engulfed by the flame but burns not. It glows with life, spreading light to all who sees. The gray has passed. It is time for the black. Woe unto the world if the wolf and flame are separated for without the flame, the wolf shall fall. Without the wolf, the flame shall burn, leaving behind a path of destruction. Together, they shall triumph over their foes. Together, they must always be. They are one.

The relevant ones know. Soon secrets will be revealed. Sides will be taken. It is the beginning...”


Albus looked around the room. Not a single face had any real color.

“What,” Arthur croaked and cleared his throat. “What does it mean?”

Harry looked at Ginny and found her eyes already on him. He could tell she already understood. He swallowed with difficulty, not sure how she felt about being a part of it all, not even sure how he felt about her being included in a prophecy. As he watched, her chin lifted, determination shining from her eyes, she took his hand in hers, squeezing it and gave him a reassuring smile.

Harry turned to Mr. Weasley. “I think I know what part of it means but you're not going to like it.” To Albus he asked for confirmation. “It's about Ginny and me, isn't it?”

“What? No!” Molly nearly yelled her denial.

Albus sighed. “I'm afraid, Molly, that it is.”

Harry wished he could disappear when eleven pairs of eyes, some seeming to glare, others looking with interest, settled onto himself and Ginny.

“Prophecies are notorious for being vague, though,” argued Bill.

“I understand your hesitancy to believe it but I assure you, taken as a whole, there can be no one else to whom it refers.”

“Well, let's not take it as a whole, then. Let's take it line by line.” Molly sounded desperate for any chance her daughter was not involved in anything dangerous.

Albus ducked his head in agreement. “Alright then. The first line: The flame has awakened the wolf from its long slumber...”

After dissecting the prophecy line by line, everyone agreed it pertained to Harry and Ginny much to Mrs. Weasley's dismay. Harry felt he should apologize for dragging Ginny down into the mess that was his life but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Too big a part of him was glad she was going to remain a part of his life.

The one line Molly struggled with was the one regarding the separation. “What exactly does that mean? Surely it isn't meaning physical separation. I mean, they've been physically apart from each other and nothing has happened. Maybe none of it will come true.”

“Molly--”

“Arthur, I'm sorry,” she snapped. “but I've just been told my daughter's destiny has been linked with Harry's, who's apparently going to be the biggest target of all if we go to war again. I'm not going to let my innocent twelve year old daughter be dragged into something she isn't ready for.”

Remus didn't like what he was hearing. When he spoke, his voice was sharp. “Now wait a minute. I won't sit here and let you blame Harry for this. You make it sound like he intentionally trapped her and planned to do something...obscene...with her. He's thirteen for Merlin's sake! Harry isn't some--”

Albus tried to speak but couldn't get a word in. Bill and Charlie had argued, though not as violently, with Sirius but even they began to feel their mum was going a little far.

“Mum--” Bill went ignored.

“You think I don't know what thirteen year old boys think about?” Molly hotly asked, irrational now. “I have more experience than you do with this. You're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.”

“Molly--” Arthur tried again to get through to his wife but Remus interrupted him.

“So now you're insulting Harry and myself?” Remus' green eyes flashed, his jaw set. “I can assure you I've taught Harry better than that.”

“Shut up! Just shut up!”

Whatever else was about to be said died away at Ginny's desperate and angry scream. She stood, shaking with raw emotion, her blazing eyes on her mum, arms rigid at her sides. Only a few could see Harry's hunched form but, now that it was quiet, everyone could hear his soft sniffles.

“I can't believe you, Mum! How can you even think, for one second, that Harry's to blame for this? He didn't ask for this new prophecy. I'm sure if you'd bother to ask him he'd tell you he'd prefer there not be one at all. But if you think I'm going to stand by and not do my part, well, then you're deluding yourself. Why you're so insistent on turning this around to something it isn't, I haven't a clue but I made a promise to Harry and I intend to keep it.”

Her scornful gaze took in all of her family. “I'm so disappointed to be a Weasley right now. You all say the right things but when it comes time to put actions to words again you fail to act and succeed in telling Harry he's okay as long as his troubles don't bleed over into your own lives. Some friends you are, especially you, Fred and George. You're all as worthless as leprechaun gold. How any of you got into Gryffindor is beyond me.”

Ginny turned back to her mother. “You may not like it, Mum, but it's my life that prophecy is referring to. Not yours, not Dad's, not Bill's or Ron's, but mine. And once you're capable of understanding that and accepting it and are willing to talk civilly about it, then we can continue this conversation.”

Whirling around, she grabbed Harry's hand, pulled him to his feet and led him up into his bedroom, slamming the door behind them.

Molly jumped out of her seat, obviously intent on following her daughter but, suddenly, her arms and legs locked to her sides. She toppled but Arthur caught her and propped her against her chair.

“I'm sorry, Molly,” Albus said as he put away his wand. “Remus–and your daughter–are right. You can't take this out on Harry. He's just as innocent in all this as Ginny and, if you'd just take a moment to think upon it, you'd realize that.”

After a moment, Albus flicked his wand and Molly collapsed into her chair. “Now. Let us discuss this calmly and rationally...”

0000000000


In Harry's room, the two teens sat side by side on Harry's bed, one of Ginny's arms encircling Harry's waist, her head on his shoulder.

“I'm so sorry about my mum, Harry. She gets so emotional sometimes and all her common sense flies out the window.”

“It's okay.”

“No, it's not okay, Harry,” Ginny retorted, her irritation coming to the fore again. “She's being horrible about all this. She needs to understand that I'm not her innocent little girl anymore. I haven't been since the Chamber. She and Dad have always taught us to stand up for what's right and that's exactly what I'm doing now. If my involvement has some bearing on the outcome of this coming war, then so be it. I want to be involved. I want to help.” Ginny threaded their fingers together. “I want to help you.”

“Thanks, Ginny. I don't know what to feel. I'm not fond of the idea of your future and life being linked to mine like that but I'm also glad you won't be disappearing, either. You've been such a great friend to me. You've helped me more than you'll ever know.”

“Well, I'm not going anywhere, Harry, no matter what Mum says. I'll leave here if it comes to it.”

“Ginny--”

“Harry, don't. I know what you're going to say so just don't. That prophecy said I have an important role to play in all this. If it takes me leaving here so that you can do what needs to be done, then I will and there's nothing you can say to change my mind.”

“Let's hope it doesn't come to that.”

The two leaned against the wall, sitting quietly together, anxiously awaiting the knock signaling the others were ready to talk. It took twenty minutes but it came nevertheless. Harry raised his head from where it had fallen onto Ginny's shoulder and she got up to see who stood on the door's other side.

“May we talk, Ginny?”

“As long as you don't start yelling again.”

“We won't and that's a promise.”

Ginny stepped back and allowed Molly and Remus to enter the room. The two adults sat on the empty bed. Ginny returned to her place beside Harry. Molly exchanged glances with Remus before sighing and turning her gaze to the teens opposite her.

“I want to apologize to you both. I reacted out of fear and helplessness–and temper. It's no excuse but...” She shrugged. “Harry, I want to apologize for insinuating you had something to do with this mess. I know, in my heart, that you would never do something like that. I also want to apologize for twisting your relationship into something it isn't. Even as I said it, I knew I was wrong. However, I'm an adult and should have behaved as one. I hope to one day restore your trust in me. I know it won't be a quick process but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get that trust back.”

“Harry,” Remus started. “I also want to apologize to you. I wasn't exactly the best of role models, either. I let my emotions override my logical thinking and my temper got away from me–again. I failed you, Harry. I should have noticed how my argument with Molly was affecting you. Definitely not one of my shining moments as your guardian. I ask that you forgive me for it.”

“Uncle Remus, there's nothing to forgive. You didn't fail me as my guardian. You defended me and that's part of your job. Would I have preferred there not be an argument? Yes. But in my opinion, you did more right than wrong.”

Remus stood and Harry did, as well. After a lengthy embrace, Harry pulled back. “Remember what you told me after my little tantrum over you taking the teaching position? I asked you if we were okay and you said...” He trailed off to let Remus fill in the rest.

“I said that we'd have our arguments and that no matter how much shouting or arguing we did, I'd always love you.”

“Right. Well, the same goes for me.”

Emotional, Remus' smile trembled. “Thank you, Harry.” He shook his head, cupping Harry's cheek. “You've grown up so much already. It won't be long before you won't be needing me anymore.”

“I'll always need you so don't go getting yourself hurt or worse.”

Harry's attempt at humor worked. Remus actually laughed. “I'll try not to.”

Then Harry turned his attention to the other adult in the room. “Mrs. Weasley, I was once told not to judge others by what I would have done so I won't. Besides, I can understand–rather well–lashing out in fear, anger and helplessness for I've done it, too.”

Ginny made an agreeing sound. Over his shoulder, he flashed her a mock glare. “Shut it, you.” She merely grinned at him.

“Anyway, Mrs. Weasley, I'd like to start over again. We need to work together, now more than ever. “

“I'd like that very much, Harry. Remus is right. You are very much more grown up than some of the adults in this house. If Ginny's future had to be linked to someone, I'm glad it's you. In spite of what I said downstairs, I know how much you care for her and will do your best to keep her safe.”

“Thank you. I will do everything I can but you have to understand she'll likely be targeted. I don't want to have to go through all of this again because, to be honest, if we do, I'm not sure who'll be left standing.”

“I will do my best to keep my temper in check, Harry, but I can't make any guarantees. I fiercely defend those I care about. That's just who I am. That's not to say I don't care about you but--”

“It's okay, I get it.” And he did, really. She was a mother. He would have been more upset if she hadn't defended her daughter. He could have done without the insinuations but that was done now.

Molly gave him a brilliant smile and made a hesitant move to hug Harry. Harry returned the gesture and the two embraced, awkwardly at first then more naturally. Seconds later, Harry stepped back and Ginny took his place.

“Thanks, Mum,” she whispered, secure in the knowledge she wouldn't have to choose between her mother and her boyfriend. “Thanks for not making me choose between you.”

“Shall we go back downstairs?” Remus asked after a moment. “Albus has some other things he'd like to discuss with us.”

“Yeah, okay.”

Harry was a little nervous about returning to the sitting room, everyone staring at them. That is, he was nervous until he felt Ginny's hand slip into his. Her touch brought him such comfort. How was that even possible? How did she know he even needed her reassurance? Harry gave himself a mental shake. Who really cared how she did it or how she knew? She could, she did and he instantly felt more positive about joining the others because of it. Smiling gratefully down at her, Harry waited until her mother and his uncle were away from the door before placing a quick kiss on her lips.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

Ginny smiled but shrugged. “You looked like you were facing the full Wizengamot. I couldn't have you panicking on me.”

Wryly, Harry grinned. “Yeah, because that would go over well.”

Ginny actually laughed. “Come on. If we don't start moving, they'll come back up here.”

To prove her point, footsteps were coming back up the stairs. Harry rushed over to the open doorway, Ginny's hand still in his, and met Remus at the door. Harry fought hard not to blush at his uncle's raised brows and overly innocent expression. Remus merely grinned and turned back toward the stairs, making sure the two were following him this time.

Reaching the sitting room, Remus retook his seat on the couch. Ginny remained standing and glared at each of her brothers, her arms crossed over her chest.

“Do any of you have anything you feel the need to say? If you do, say it now because this is the only time you'll get a free pass. After this, you'll likely get some bat bogies for your trouble.”

The twins immediately stood up. Fred spoke for them both. “Harry, George and I apologize for not being the friends we should have been. We hope you can forgive us.”

Harry figured this was the most serious he'd ever seen them. There hadn't been a single joke, pun or twinkling eye at all in that declaration.

“Right, Harry,” George agreed. “We do hereby solemnly swear to be better friends in the future.”

And there it was. Harry didn't mind, really. He thought it more disconcerting when those two weren't making a joke. It was just their way and Harry had a feeling the twins' jokes would be very much needed at some point in the future.

“Thanks, guys.”

The oldest Weasley boys stood next while the twins took their seats. “Harry, like I said before, you haven't exactly seen the best of this family. Again, don't judge us too harshly. We're a bit thick at times but once something gets through our heads we embrace it entirely. Like any family, we have our ups and downs. Just know that when we yell, it's nothing personal, no matter what words we use.”

“Thanks, Bill, but I have to disagree with you a little. I've seen flashes of the greatness of this family. At Christmas, you all agreed to let me stay when you didn't have to.” A small smile curved one corner of Harry's mouth. “It seems to me that you just got a little sidetracked is all.”

Charlie shook his head in disbelief. “Harry, I don't know that I could be so forgiving if I were standing in your place but thank you. We don't deserve it but thank you just the same.”

“Harry,” Percy started in and the two others sat. “I apologize for not being a better person, for not being a better Head Boy. I now understand why you acted the way you did at the beginning of term and I'm ashamed of myself for not trying harder to get to know you for that is supposedly my job. I hope you can forgive me, as well.”

Out of the Weasley brothers, Percy had always struck Harry as a bit pompous, strict, unyielding, and even during his apology, the uptight propriety was present. While Harry had no doubt Percy was sincere, the middle Weasley brother still sounded haughty and that put Harry off him a little. There was just no way the two of them would be anything other than civil to each other. Ultimately, Harry was okay with that.

“Percy, I didn't give you the chance to do your job so don't let that color your perception. You've been fine as Head Boy.”

Percy nodded his head once in acknowledgment. Ron cleared his throat and paused. Harry wondered if the youngest Weasley male was trying to gather his courage. Then Ron stood and Harry thought perhaps Ron belonged in Gryffindor after all. Ron stuffed his hands deep into his pockets, took a deep breath, gathered his courage some more and looked Harry in the eye.

“Harry, I've been a foul git to you and I know I don't deserve any forgiveness but I ask for it anyway. I don't expect to be best mates or anything but I hope we can be some kind of friends. I'll admit that an uncomfortably large part of me was jealous when you showed up at school. After my first two years,” Ron shrugged. “I kind of got used to being the center of attention, the one everyone talked about and I liked it–a little too much. Then you came and everyone was talking about you. On top of that, I couldn't help but feel something wasn't right about you. I just couldn't figure out what. I didn't protect my sister when I should have so I was trying to make up for it I just went too far with it. I know that's no excuse but that's how I was feeling and what I was thinking.”

For Harry, this one was the hardest. Ron had instantly decided Harry wasn't worth getting to know. No, Harry's actions and attitude hadn't helped, either. Ron had disliked Harry from the beginning, but now knowing where some of it came from, Harry could sort of understand. Obviously, he didn't know any specific details of what happened those years but he knew of the major events that occurred. It sounded as if Ron had a hand in the victories. Perhaps now would be a good time for starting over. It was the new year, after all. An “out with old, in with the new” kind of thing seemed warranted.

“I think we can get there, Ron. It will just take some time.”

Ron nodded once and returned to the floor where he'd been sitting. Seemingly satisfied with her brothers' declarations, Ginny pulled Harry back to their side of the couch. Sirius winked at her and grinned as if to say 'well done'. Remus, too, smiled appreciatively. Dumbledore clearing his throat drew everyone's attention in that direction.

“Now that things have settled once more, I'd like to propose my thoughts on where we should go from here.”

“What are you thinking, Albus?” Arthur asked, clutching his wife's hand.

Albus turned his attention to the two young teens. “If you could drop one of your classes, which would it be?”

With no hesitation, and sounding like Fred and George, both said simultaneously, “History of Magic.”

Surprised, the two looked at each other, shared a smile, then turned back to their Headmaster, whose blue eyes twinkled with merriment. A few others chuckled and Fred and George looked rather proud, as if the two of them were responsible for Harry's and Ginny's synchronous response.

“Yes, I guess I'm not too surprised by that answer. Miss Weasley, when do you have History of Magic?”

“In the afternoons. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at four o'clock.”

“And Harry?”

“Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, Professor. Four o'clock on Monday and three o'clock on Wednesday and Friday.”

“Miss Weasley, what do you have at three o'clock on Fridays?”

“Nothing, Professor. It's a free period.”

The old man's face lit up. “Ah! Perfect! Consider the class dropped. Instead, on Fridays, I want you both to come to my office at three o'clock starting the first week of the new term. There's much we need to do. Use that class time the other days for homework, independent study or any time that I may need to see you in addition to Fridays.”

Irritation at the man's vague comment mixed with excitement at dropping a class and doing something special–and with Dumbledore, no less, filled the young teens.

“Like what would we be doing, Professor?”

“We'll discuss that when you return. Suffice it to say that it's important knowledge.” Before he could be questioned further, he turned his blue eyes on the other Weasleys still at school. “Harry and Ginny will be needing your help. I'm certain it won't take long for the others to realize they aren't in class anymore and things will likely be said. I–and they–will be counting on you boys to put a stop to any harmful rumors that might arise. The truth cannot be mentioned. Is that understood?”

“Of course, Headmaster,” Percy instantly replied with a stiff nod of his head.

“Aye, aye, Professor,” Fred and George said, saluting sharply, eyes dancing.

“Sure, Professor,” Ron agreed.

“Professor, what about Hermione?” Ginny asked, looking anxious. “Harry can attest to how she can be when she knows there's a puzzle to solve.” Harry nodded vigorously. “I don't want to hurt her feelings and you know it will if she learns that Ron knows, as well. We might even could use her help. She knows the library like no one else, I'm sure.”

Dumbledore slowly nodded, thinking. “Yes, I have to agree. Miss Granger apparently has a role in what is coming.”

“Thanks, Professor.”

“Sir, I'd like to include Neville. My destiny could have been his and, well, he's tried to be nice to me. And considering what happened to his parents...”

“Yes, Harry,” Albus kindly agreed. “Mr. Longbottom will have his own role to play, as well. He certainly deserves to know.”

Painstakingly, Albus rose to his feet and did his best to shake out the kinks of having sat for so long. “Now, I must go. Harry, Ginny, we'll talk more on your first visit. When telling the others, be absolutely sure no one else is around.”

“Of course, Professor,” came the Weasleys' and Harry's replies.

“Oh! I almost forgot.” Albus patted around his robe then pulled out a brown paper-wrapped package from an inner pocket. It was tiny but enlarged to its original size once free of its confines. “This once belonged to your father, Harry. I had borrowed it and then...well...”

Twins gasps behind Harry had him turning. Both Remus' and Sirius' gazes were locked onto the package Albus held out.

“Albus,” Remus nearly whispered. “Is that...?”

“Yes, Remus, it is. I should have handed this over years ago and for not doing so I apologize. Harry, use it well.”

Harry could have sworn he saw a mad twinkling in his headmaster's eyes but it disappeared so quickly he couldn't be sure. Reverently, he took the package and stared at it, a little dazed. Harry continued staring at it even as the professor vanished through the Floo. His gaze eventually rose from the lightweight bundle in his hands to his uncle and godfather. While both were a little pale, they were smiling, though Sirius' grin was more mischievous.

“Go ahead and open it, Harry. I had no idea Albus had it or I would have asked for it back a long time ago. I thought it had been lost.”

“It was Dad's?”

Harry didn't know why but he had a hard time comprehending the fact that here was another item that belonged to his father. He'd gone his entire life without much of either of his parents and, suddenly, now he had two things, things his dad had touched, had used.

“Yes, Harry,” Remus answered softly with a sad smile. “It belonged to James, solely to James.”

Harry's eyes drifted back to the item he still gingerly held. He tried to swallow the lump lodged in his throat with little success. As he stood, unable to do anything, his vision blurred with threatening tears. So many emotions competed for dominance inside him: joy, sadness, a little anger at not getting it sooner, a healthy dose of disbelief. The second the first tear escaped his control, Harry dashed up the stairs, holding the brown package against his chest, his bedroom door shutting rather loudly warning everyone to stay away.

Molly wiped her eyes and sniffled. “Well, I think we could all use a little tea and some soup. Ginny, come help me.”

“Actually, Mum, I was going to go check on Harry.”

“Nonsense. Remus and Sirius are here. They can see to him if they feel they need to.”

Remus braced himself for the disapproving glare he was likely to get with his next words. “Molly, Harry would probably prefer Ginny's company. I have a pretty good idea what he's thinking and how he's feeling right now. For the last several years now, he's refused to cry in front of me, that time after my kidnapping being an exception.”

Catching on to the direction Remus was heading, Ginny added, “But he's not with me. We cried on each other's shoulders when he told me what he's facing. And then on Halloween after visiting his parents' graves...”

By this time Molly's face had softened. “Alright, Ginny, go on.”

Ginny hugged her mother tightly. “Thanks, Mum.”

A quick kiss on her mother's cheek later, Ginny raced up the stairs. Molly watched her daughter, worry slightly furrowing her brow.

“I promise, Molly,” Remus said in response to the woman's obvious concern. “He'd probably feel more comfortable with her than with Sirius or myself. Just give them a little bit of time. Sometimes it's easier to let yourself go when in the company of a friend rather than a parent or guardian.”

“We'll check on them in a few minutes,” Sirius added.

0000000000


Ginny knocked but didn't get a response. That didn't bother her as she hadn't really expected one. Opening the door, she slipped in and softly closed it behind her. Harry hadn't moved from his bed, sitting on the edge of it, hunched over and still clutching the wrapped gift against his chest. Even from where she stood, it was easy to see he was fighting tears.

Not saying a word, Ginny sat next to Harry and wrapped her arms around him, her heart breaking a little when Harry's arms held her close and he allowed the tears to come. At some point, the bedroom door opened to reveal Molly but she took in the scene, heard Harry's quiet sobs, and silently backed out, closing the door.

Several minutes later, Harry took a steadying breath and pulled back from Ginny. Sniffling, he swiped at his wet cheeks and cleaned his glasses on his shirttail. A hand gently took his glasses from him and traded them for a tissue. He looked up at the girl beside him. This close, she was only a little blurred.

“Thanks,” he said, his voice rather hoarse. “again.”

“No problem. Here, take a few minutes and I'll get your glasses properly cleaned. I won't be gone long.” Because she suddenly had the urge to, Ginny leaned forward and very quickly kissed him. Then, not giving him any time to react, she was out the door and heading down the stairs.

A soothing comfort flowed through him starting where her lips had touched his. He gave a little laugh. She always managed to do that, to calm him. He shouldn't have been surprised that she'd done so this time, too, and he supposed, deep down, that he really wasn't surprised at all. Honestly, he had sort of hoped Ginny would come upstairs after him. He could cry in front of her without worrying about what she thought of him. He felt he couldn't do that with his uncle or with Sirius. Oh, it wasn't due to either of their actions or anything like that, Harry just felt more comfortable with Ginny. He still hadn't a clue why that was but he quit questioning it.

True to her word, Ginny reappeared a few minutes later. In one hand, she held his glasses. The other hand held a steaming mug of something. Putting his glasses on, he looked at the cup she held. Hot chocolate.

“Mum thought you might like some. She had it waiting for you.”

“Thanks.” After a short pause, he confessed, “I feel like such a wimp. I've cried more in the last few months than I have in I don't know how long.”

“Harry, you're not a wimp. You're one of the strongest people I know. Crying doesn't make you weak. It just allows strength and determination to take pain's place. Now drink your hot chocolate.”

Harry took a sip and let the heat lift his spirits even further like it always somehow did. After a few more sips, he handed the cup to Ginny, who placed it on the bedside table. While Ginny did that, he picked up the squarish package Dumbledore had given him. It hardly had any weight to it and Harry could tell by feel that it was something made of cloth. He looked up at Ginny.

“Why does having this make me feel so overwhelmed? I mean, I didn't react like this when you gave me the Map. Yes, it affected me but not like this.”

“I don't know, Harry. Maybe this belonging strictly to your dad has something to do with it.”

“Yeah. That makes sense, I guess.”

Harry fingered the string holding the brown paper around whatever was inside then pulled an end. The string easily untied and fell away. Shoving the ends of the paper back, Harry stared at what was revealed. A silvery something lay there. He pulled it out of the wrapping and marveled at the feel of it. It was silky and light and it appeared to flow like water.

“What is this, Ginny? Feel it.”

She did and she gasped. “That is so weird. It looks really long. Stand up and hold it up. Maybe we can figure it out that way.”

Harry did as she suggested and Ginny thought out loud. “It kind of looks like a cloak.” She ran her hand along the cloak and discovered the hood. “Harry, it is a cloak!” She held the hood away from the rest of it. “Look!”

“I didn't even see that. It blended in so well with the rest of it.”

“Well, put it on. Let's see how it looks.”

Harry threw the cloak around his shoulders and gasped when his body became invisible. He was so startled, he dropped the cloak and stared as it pooled at his feet with barely a whisper. His gaze flew to Ginny, whose own eyes were huge. Then she laughed.

“Merlin, Harry. I know exactly what that is! It's an invisibility cloak! I've heard Mum and Dad talking about them. They're not very common–at all.” Ginny laughed again, her eyes dancing with mischief. “Imagine all the things you can do with that! Dumbledore, himself, said to 'use it well'. It's like he was giving you permission to be out after curfew.”

“Imagine all the things we can do, Ginny. We can be out after curfew. If I'm going to be out having fun, I want you there with me.”

“Really?”

“Of course. You're my best friend, Ginny, and...well...more. I'd have a lot more fun with you.”

Harry was rewarded with a brilliant smile and a tight hug. When he pulled back, he kissed her quickly and turned his attention back to his cloak.

“Should we tell the others about this?”

After a moment of thought, Ginny shook her head. “I don't think so, Harry. It probably wouldn't be a good idea for it get out that you have one. If my brothers mentioned it, someone might try to take it from you. Besides, can you imagine beating the twins at their own game? Doing some prank and watching them try to convince everyone it wasn't them?”

Harry laughed outright. “That will be fantastic. I can't wait to start planning something. Speaking of planning and pranks, do you know what Fred and George are going to do to try to get Sirius? They haven't tried anything yet, that I know of.”

“I don't know but it should be soon. They won't be going down without a fight and they don't have much time left.”

Neither spoke for a minute. Harry sighed. “I guess we should go back down.”

“Yeah, probably so. I don't know that even Moony and Sirius can keep Mum away for much longer.”

Harry nodded reluctantly at that. Rolling the Cloak up, Harry slipped it into his bag under his clothes. Satisfied it was well hidden, Harry dropped the bag onto the floor beside his bed. Ginny picked up the cup of now lukewarm chocolate.

“I'll take this down if you'd like to step into the loo for a moment. Or I can wait for you and we can go down together.”

“I think I'll be okay, Ginny, go ahead.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I'm sure.”

“Alright, but if you're not down in a reasonable amount of time, I'm coming back up.”

Harry smiled. “Of course.”

The two parted ways just outside the bedroom door. As Ginny headed down to face everyone, Harry headed up to the loo. Once inside, he critically checked his reflection and grimaced. His puffy eyes were very red along with his cheeks and nose. Tears had made streaking tracks through the redness. Harry knew he couldn't entirely get rid of the evidence as he didn't want to use too much magic unlawfully but he figured he could reduce it a little and, after slipping off his glasses, splashed cold water on his face over and over.

Ten splashings later, the redness in his face had diminished enough to satisfy him. Toweling dry, Harry grabbed his glasses and left the loo. While he'd been preoccupied, everyone had moved on to the kitchen but Remus stood in the doorway, apparently waiting. Spying Harry, Remus came over.

“Alright, Pup?”

“Yeah, I'm okay. Ginny thinks I reacted the way I did because the cloak belonged only to Dad.”

“So it was the Cloak, then. I mean, Albus had pretty much said as much but...” Remus mussed Harry's hair with a grin before wrapping an arm around Harry's shoulders in a one-armed hug. “That Ginny's a smart girl. You'd do well to listen to her.” Remus' smile faded. “I'm glad you have it now. I was so upset when I couldn't find it. It's a family heirloom and I thought it was lost forever.”

“You wouldn't be too disappointed in me if I used it for a little harmless fun, would you?”

“I'll admit I'd be disappointed if you didn't.” A huge smile blossomed on Harry's face. Remus held up a finger to caution him. “Just don't get caught. And, please, do not tell me about it. I want some deniability.”

Mischief made Harry's green eyes sparkle. “Ginny is hoping to hit the twins first.”

“What did I just say, Harry? I don't want to know this.” His grin and the amusement in his voice betrayed how he truly felt. “Now, shall we get into the kitchen? I have a feeling those brothers of Ginny's are planning something for Sirius and I don't want to miss the show.”

Together, they walked into the kitchen, Harry taking his seat beside Ginny and Remus taking his next to Sirius. Using her wand, Molly levitated a sliced loaf a bread, butter and two pots of soup onto the table. From what Harry could tell, one soup was vegetable and the other was onion. Tea and pumpkin juice also landed softly on the table.

As everyone began serving themselves, chuckling as Sirius made a big deal of using Finite Incantatem on everything before he began eating, Ron looked over to Harry. “So what was it that Dumbledore gave you?”

“Ronald, I did not raise you to be nosy,” Molly immediately admonished him, giving him a stern look.

Thinking fast, Harry answered as vaguely as possible. “Just an old family heirloom.”

Harry caught his uncle's and godfather's gazes and minutely shrugged. Sirius opened his mouth but slammed it shut when something completely unexpected came out of it. After a moment, he tried again.

“Meow.”

Sirius slapped a hand over his mouth but it only muted the sound of a cat's hissing. His startled gaze met Remus' eyes and Sirius hissed through his hand again. The same thing happened when he looked at Harry. No one else elicited the hissing but Sirius did meow quite plaintively at Ginny. Twin peals of laughter broke the otherwise stunned silence.

“Fred! George! What have you two done now?”

Fred fell off his chair and George followed him. Their faces red and tears streaming, the two continued to howl for several minutes. Each time they started to settle, Sirius opened his mouth and another meow would escape starting the twins back up again. Harry snickered but quickly covered it with a cough when Sirius glared at him. Sirius made the mistake of opening his mouth again causing Ginny to lose her control which led to Harry losing his again. Seconds later, Remus and the others, except Percy, joined in the laughter.

Remembering Sirius had challenged her sons, Molly sighed. “Well, Sirius, you brought it on yourself.” To Fred and George she continued, “Alright boys, you've made your point. Undo whatever it is you did so he can eat.”

Still chuckling, Fred stood. “Alright, Mum. Be back in a second.” He left the room and seconds later could be heard going upstairs, presumably to his and George's bedroom.

“Congratulations, George,” Remus said, sounding impressed. “It's not easy to get Sirius. How did you do it without using magic?”

“Thanks, Professor. It was Fred's idea, really. We used a potion on his clothes.” George smiled as Sirius began patting himself and scanning his clothing. “Not much. Just a few drops sprinkled here and there.” He sighed. “It didn't work as planned, though.”

“It didn't?” Harry asked, snickering, no matter that Sirius was trying to glare at him.

“What do you mean?” Remus asked, chuckling, knowing full well that Sirius wasn't upset at Harry in the least. “What was it supposed to do?”

“It was supposed to actually change him into a cat the instant he got dressed,” Fred answered upon returning to the kitchen, carrying a small vial of a dark, shimmery liquid, topped with a small, flat stopper. He shrugged. “I reckon it needs tweaking.”

“I still say it's brilliant.” Harry laughed outright. When Sirius made a strangled noise in his throat, Harry quipped, “What's wrong, Sirius? Hairball?”

After much chuckling over that, Molly forced Fred to give Sirius the antidote. Fred stood behind Sirius and began flicking droplets of the liquid randomly all over Sirius' clothing. When finished, he lay the vial on the table.

“That should do it.” He pointed to the vial. “You might want to use that on the rest of your clothes. We didn't know what you'd choose to wear today so we tainted them all.”

Before Sirius could even move, Harry reached over and snatched up the vial and studied the stopper.

“Hey!” Sirius cried. “Give it back!” He paused and a grin spread across his face. “I'm not meowing anymore!”

Harry tipped the vial expecting the liquid to drip but it didn't. He raised questioning eyes to the twins. “How does this stay in?”

“Special stopper,” George answered. “The holes only open with the flicking motion. You can get the stoppers at any apothecary.”

“Interesting. Now, can I have that back please? I don't feel like returning to Hogwarts meowing like a kitten.”

Harry handed the small bottle over and Sirius immediately checked for any surprises. Finding none, he placed an unbreakable charm on it and stuffed it in his pocket. The rest of the meal was finished in typical Weasley style: lots of various conversations and much laughter.

0000000000


“This is perfect.” Lucius lowered his copy of the Daily Prophet and, grinning smugly, stared at his son. “I never really cared for that Greyback anyway. I have no idea what the Dark Lord was thinking allying with such filthy beasts. However, we can use this to our advantage. We can completely destroy that Potter brat so the Dark Lord will have an easy time of it when he returns. And best of all, it won't even be our hands getting dirty.”

“Father, the Dark Lord is dead. He's not coming back.”

Lucius' smug expression turned dark, his voice low and menacing. He leaned to within inches of his son's face, his eyes cold as stone and glinting with madness. “Don't you ever say that to me again. The Dark Lord will return and we will be ready. You will be ready. You'll need to prove your loyalty before he'll let you take the Dark Mark. That is why I've had you practice that spell. You've only been successful once and that's not good enough. However you do it, expose Potter for what he is. Then we'll let society and that werewolf hunter do the rest.”

“Yes, Father, but if I'm seen around Potter each time there's an attack, won't someone get suspicious?”

Irritated, Lucius sighed. “Think, boy! Are you the only Slytherin at school? Be resourceful!”

Draco ducked his head. “Yes, Father. I won't let you down.”

“See that you don't. The Dark Lord can be very unforgiving–and so can I.”







Reviews 272
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear