Search:

SIYE Time:18:27 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Beast Within
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 272
Summary: Two pivotal things happen the night of October 31, 1981. They will change the course of Harry's life. Forever.





Posting issue resolved. For the moment at least and hopefully permanently.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152332; Chapter Total: 6876
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Hope you like this chapter. You'll notice my "wolves" are different, more like regular wolves. There's a reason for that later.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


There are beings out there, some good, some bad, that claim to know me, and yet they also know nothing of me.



The next morning, Harry awoke after a fitful night's sleep. Rolling over, he groaned at the aches and pains protesting the movement. Rubbing his eyes, he seriously contemplated not going to class. He was just so tired and it was only the beginning. He still had no clue how his uncle had lived like this for so long. Determination filled him with that thought. If Uncle Remus could do it, so could he. Gingerly, he crawled out of bed, wincing slightly, grabbed some clothes and headed off to the showers.

Harry feared waking the others up if he tried to get his school books so he left them. Creeping down the tower stairs and out the common room, he shuffled his way to the Hospital Wing. Upon entering, he saw his uncle already there and gave the man a tired grin. Apparently he'd been waiting for Harry since two smoking goblets were waiting on a tray in front of the older man.

“Hey, Pup, are you ready?” Remus asked, slight humor in his voice.

“Not really but do I have a choice?” Harry replied through a yawn.

“Not really,” Remus answered with a faint smile.

They tended to have this conversation a lot and, indeed it was almost a joking routine between them. Each picked up a goblet and clinked them together.

“Bottoms up,” Remus said.

Before either could take a drink, the hospital doors opened.

“Madame Pomfrey, I wanted to ask if you needed any...Wolfsbane Potion...for next month.”

Severus Snape came to a jerking halt and stared at the two people holding goblets of what was obviously Wolfsbane Potion. Lupin he'd been prepared to see. It was the other who had completely thrown him. Harry Potter, Lily's son, stood alongside Lupin. He'd known, of course, but it still took him off-guard. For only an instant, the bitter man felt sadness at the life Lily's son led. She would be devastated to know her son had been attacked by a werewolf. Guilt at being the reason she would never know threatened to overtake him so he pushed it brutally down as usual.

“Well, well, well,” Snape spoke in his flat voice with a hint of a sneer on his face. “You've finally gone and done it, haven't you, Lupin? Infected your best friend's son. Pity.”

Both Remus and Harry set their goblets back on the tray. Harry shook with his anger, barely biting back the words that begged to spill forth. Remus, on the other hand, contrasted with the youth. He calmly stared at his childhood rival and stepped away from Harry.

“Severus, I ask that you not make an issue of this with Harry,” he said, completely ignoring the barb about having infected Harry. “Also, you need to speak with young Malfoy. In two different classes, he's brought up werewolves and linked Harry to the subject. Surely you can see why the boy must stop.”

Severus sighed with a put-upon air. “Fine. I'll protect precious Potter's secret and have a talk with Draco. What reason should I give him?”

“It doesn't matter to me what reason you give so long as this talk works.”

“Fine,” Severus spat out the word. “Anything else?”

“Yes, actually,” Remus replied with a hard edge to his voice, his gray eyes flashing. “If Harry correctly brews his potion, he gets full credit. No more knocking samples from his hand just so you can have the perverse pleasure of marking him down. I know you have to have samples to test but that Shrinking Solution was obviously done properly. If he doesn't start getting the grades he deserves, I'm talking to Albus. Am I clear?”

Severus' black eyes gave nothing away. His clenched jaw, however, showed the turmoil he was experiencing inside.

“Fine,” he said between clenched teeth. “So you don't need me to brew the potion, then?”

“No,” Remus said with a twinkle in his eyes. “Harry brews a perfect potion.”

Snape's eyes flew to Harry who appeared to stand a little straighter under the praise. Potter brewed it? He had a hard time believing that. He supposed it was possible the brat had inherited something else from his mother. Severus had a very hard time looking at the whelp. Lily's eyes in James' body was a disturbing sight. No, not Lily's eyes so much now. Currently, they held a distinct yellow tinge that, in this case, betrayed the wolf within. Without saying another word, he turned and strode out the hospital doors, his cloak billowing out behind him.

“Alright, Harry,” Remus said upon turning back to his nephew, “drink up. It's getting late.”

Harry took his goblet, breathed deeply in preparation then guzzled the nasty stuff as quickly as he could. Shuddering, he replaced the goblet back on the tray and looked up at his guardian, puzzled.

“I didn't brew the potion this time. Why did you tell him I did?”

“Because, Harry,” Remus said with a smile and wink. “He needed to know you're very competent at Potions so any undeserved marks will be challenged.”

Harry smiled in return and hurried out of the hospital wing and back to his dorm to grab his bag before heading down for breakfast. He entered the Great Hall dismayed at the crowd of students present. Since there really wasn't anything he could do about it, Harry sat in a spot that was at least somewhat separate from the others.

He sat down to a bowl of cereal and was happily ignoring everyone when someone sat across from him. Shocked that someone actually chose to sit near him, he looked up into the smiling face of that redheaded girl he'd talked to yesterday, Ginny. Not sure how to react, he turned back to his cereal.

“Good morning,” she said, brightly.

Harry ignored her but that didn't seem to bother her as she continued. “I wanted to thank you for what you said yesterday. You never gave me the chance.”

Harry merely shrugged, keeping his eyes on his breakfast. Great what had he done? Now, he'd never be left alone. A small part of him, one Harry didn't want to acknowledge, cheered at that thought. Scowling into his cereal, he was determined not to talk to the girl.

“So what class do you have first?” she asked between bites of her breakfast. “You already know I have Potions first.”

Done with his cereal, he grabbed his bag and stood to leave. She looked up at him and smiled. Confused by her actions, he walked away. Why did she sit across from him? Why talk to him? He never said a word but she didn't seem to care about that. Actually, he was downright rude to her. She was only being polite. Uncle Remus did say he wanted him to try to make friends. What's the point? She's bound to figure out his secret and then she'd drop him, just like everyone else. Determined to keep his distance, he headed down towards Hagrid's hut for class.

0000000000



Glad to be done with that class, Harry hurried back up to the castle. The Augurey was such a depressing bird. Harry felt bad enough with his impending transformation, he really didn't need to listen to that low throbbing cry very long. Hagrid had explained that the birds sang when rain was coming and mentioned that some people kept them as pets. To Harry's way of thinking, keeping one of those for a pet ranked right up there with keeping a hippogriff around–extremely mental.

Heading down to the dungeons, a voice called out to him. “Hey, Harry! Good luck in Potions. I think I may have warmed him up for you.”

Harry's gaze swept the area and finally found Ginny as she was passing by him, another smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye. A tiny bubble of joy burst, spreading its warmth throughout his system. Against his will, the corner of his mouth twitched upward in response. He didn't comment but kept heading down the stairs. Nervous didn't even begin to describe how he was feeling at coming face to face with the professor after that morning's meeting. Breathing deeply–he seemed to be doing a lot of that lately–he walked into the room.

Black eyes met green ones for an eternity, or so it seemed, but nothing was said. Harry quietly sat at his table and prepared for class. The blonde git, Malfoy, came in soon after and scowled at Harry the instant the boy saw him. Professor Snape must have had that little talk with Draco, after all. Anything that upset the smarmy little git amused Harry. He couldn't help it. Draco Malfoy epitomized all the past 'friends' who had looked down upon him after his secret came out, not to mention those who just plain bullied him because of his tattered apparel. They sneered at him, made fun of him, called him things no one should.

Snape set the assignment and Harry got to work, making absolutely sure he checked the directions more than once even though it was another potion he knew by heart. He sliced his ingredients with particular care before adding them to the boiling solution. He accomplished this all the while Snape hovered, watching like a hawk for any misstep.

When it was time to bottle samples for grading, Harry bottled two at one time, slipping one into his robe pocket. Snape may have said he wouldn't deliberately sabotage Harry's grades but Harry still wouldn't put it past the man. Besides, accidents really did happen. On his way up to the professor's desk, someone tripped him sending him sprawling, the vial in his hand breaking upon impact with the floor. Laughter rang loudly in his ears.

“What is the meaning of this, Potter?” Snape acerbically asked. “Can't even get a sample to me without making a scene? Just can't stand the fact that no one here is impressed with your fame? Twenty points from Gryffindor. And no grade...again.”

Harry wanted so badly to argue but knew it would only lead to detention and probably even more points taken from his House. Instead, he pulled the miraculously still intact vial from his pocket and deliberately placed it on Severus' desk. The man scowled at the appearance of the vial.

“Perhaps you'll get some kind of grade, after all.”

Obviously dismissed, Harry gathered up his belongings and left. As he passed by the exasperating brunette, Hermione Harry thought her name was, she gave him an odd look. It seemed a little sympathetic but also held some jealousy and annoyance. Harry didn't bother trying to figure it out. He was just happy to be done for the morning. No essays had been set yet so he had a free hour. It was a little early for lunch so he took to doing what he usually did...wandering.

0000000000


Sitting down at the Gryffindor table, he filled himself a plate, as usual ignoring everyone else. He'd only eaten a few bites when a full plate was set down across from him. Looking up to see who had joined him, a mix of joy and irritation filled him. Ginny had come over again. Why? Why did she even bother? It's not like he chatted with her at breakfast. A genuine smile graced her features. She didn't say anything, just started eating. Mentally shrugging, he continued his own lunch.

After several silent minutes, Ginny spoke up. “I hope Snape wasn't in too much of a mood when you got there.”

Harry shrugged in answer. He just couldn't find it within himself to ignore her completely and he wasn't sure why.

“I'm afraid I really set him off Gryffindors,” Ginny explained. “Not that it takes all that much anyway. I had a little accident. Nothing serious, more messy than anything else. Of course, he doesn't like me in particular anyway because of Fred and George.”

Harry remained silent but it didn't bother Ginny one bit. She kept up her one-sided conversation.

“Fred and George are my twin brothers. They're pranksters, you see.”

Harry's interest was piqued despite his determination to remain aloof. He didn't let on he was listening but he took in every word she said. His father, his Uncle Remus, and his lost godfather had all been pranksters at school.

“They've pranked Snape lots of times which explains why Snape can't stand me. Thinks I'm just like them. For once, he's close to being right. I like a good prank now and then but not to the extent they do.”

She chatted a little here and there all during the meal. When he'd finished, he grabbed his bag and made to leave. Ginny gave him another smile.

“Bye, Harry. Hope your next class goes okay.”

Harry paused a second before walking away. Having already switched out his school books for his upcoming classes, Harry headed over to the greenhouse his year was working in and sat outside the door. He seriously hoped they weren't still working with defensive plants. He wasn't looking forward to getting poked, bitten or poisoned.

After a short while, a shadow fell over him. A dark-haired, pudgy boy stood over him. He looked anxious about something. Harry watched as the boy's gaze flitted to Harry's face and away several times while the boy's mouth opened and closed like a fish. The boy shuffled from side to side in a nervous dance while obviously trying to gather the courage to speak.

“Y-You're Harry Potter, right? The Harry Potter?”

Irritated, Harry looked away from him. What was with these people? Why did it matter who he was? Having heard that too many times already, Harry clenched his jaw shut against the reply he wanted to make.

“My name is Neville–Neville Longbottom. I haven't really seen you around much or I would have said 'hi' sooner.”

Harry remained quiet. Inside, he wished the kid would just go away or shut up. Harry didn't want to get to know them. Down that road was more heartache which was on the top of Harry's list of things to avoid.

“Um, well,” Neville stammered. “If you, um, have any trouble during class, you can, um, ask me if you'd like. I'm decent enough at it.”

Harry snorted in disagreement with that statement. Neville wasn't decent at Herbology. He was excellent at it. The plants they worked with previously didn't even try to attack Neville.

Mistaking Harry's reaction, Neville said, embarrassment coloring his voice, “Um, well, I'm just going to go over here and, er, leave you be, now.”

Others gathered outside the greenhouse and before long, the door opened to admit them.

0000000000


“So, Harry,” Remus began, amusement evident in his voice, “tell me about this girl I've seen you sitting with at meals.”

It was just after Defense class, Tuesday afternoon. Class had let out a little early due to injury which left Remus some time to tease his nephew. He chuckled at the glare Harry shot him.

“She's been sitting near me, that's all. I don't know why. You'd think she'd have given up by now since I don't talk to her.”

“She's quite talented. All the Weasleys are, for that matter, but she, in particular, is impressive. She's the first female Weasley in several generations, did you know?”

When Harry just stood there, arms folded across his chest, Remus sighed.

“Harry, she obviously wants to be your friend. Why don't you let her?”

“You know why,” Harry all but shouted. Then he lowered his voice to just above a whisper. “Once she discovers what I am, she won't want anything to do with me so why bother?”

Remus watched his nephew in silence, saddened the boy had become so jaded at such a young age. He couldn't deny the past circumstances which had brought Harry to that conclusion but he also knew the Weasley family by reputation. If there was anyone in the wizarding world who would accept Harry and his issues, it would be the Weasleys. Harry needed the love of a family. No doubt, Remus loved the boy as if Harry was his own but a family like the Weasleys could give Harry the kind of love and experiences Remus could not.

“You can't go through life alone, Harry,” Remus advised softly.

“You're one to talk,” Harry shot back. “When was the last time you were out making friends?”

At Remus' guilty silence, Harry nodded. “That's what I thought. You can't tell me what to do when you haven't even done it.”

Harry shouldered his bag. “I've got to go. Astronomy's coming up in a little while.”

Remus laid a hand on Harry's shoulder, stopping him briefly. “Someone once told me it was our choices that showed us who we really are. Let her choices show you who she really is.”

“Bye, Uncle Remus,” Harry muttered before walking out of the room.

Remus watched Harry leave, his heart heavy in his chest. He'd hoped Harry would have liked it enough here to overcome his prejudices. Granted, it had only been a little under a month. With the full moon coming, Harry would likely be more closed-off than usual. At least the full moon hadn't come earlier in the month. He sincerely hoped little Ginny Weasley could get through Harry's tough outer shell. Perhaps a chat with the girl wouldn't be out of line.

0000000000


The week passed fairly uneventfully. The minor accidents in Defense class were the only excitement. Thankfully, it was now Friday morning. After receiving this week's daily dose of Wolfsbane potion, Harry sat in the common room with his Charms text open to the current chapter. Yawning, Harry folded his arms over his book and rested his head on his arms. Surely a short nap wouldn't hurt.

Next thing Harry knew, he was being shaken. His head shot up off his book, almost colliding with Ginny's, which had been close to his as she shook him. He watched as she studied him critically. He couldn't help feeling embarrassed at being caught sleeping at the study table.

“Are you okay, Harry?” she asked, concern filling her voice. “You're looking a little peaky.” Ginny sat in the chair beside him, dropping her book bag onto the floor. “Even your eyes are looking paler than usual. They were such a lovely emerald color but now, they're more of a yellow-green, like my birthstone, peridot.”

Frowning, Harry closed his book and stuffed it into his bag. Her mentioning his eyes set him on edge. Just what he needed–another reminder of his coming transformation. Wincing only slightly when he stood, he slowly hobbled his way to the portrait door.

“Are you sure you're okay, Harry?”

Sighing, he gave in. “I'm fine.”

“You don't look it.”

“Gee, thanks,” Harry sarcastically replied.

The entire way down to breakfast, silence reigned. By the time they'd sat down to eat, the wordless trek had him sighing, for some reason feeling a bit guilty.

“Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you.”

“That's okay,” she said with an even brighter smile, as if his talking to her had made her day.

Harry fixed himself some breakfast and slowly ate. He could feel his uncle's eyes on him from the Staff Table but Harry refused to give the man any opportunity to smirk at him. Ginny ate in silence a little while but then began telling him about her family. Her voice seemed to weave a spell on him for he listened raptly to her stories. She even got a few chuckles from him.

“Oh! There was this one time Fred and George pranked Snape,” she excitedly continued, her whole face lighting up with mischief. “I wasn't here when they did it but they told me about it. See, they managed to put some kind of spell on Snape's goblet before breakfast. The instant he drank from it, there was a loud farting noise.”

Enjoying the story, Harry quit eating, a half-grin on his face. Absently, he reached for his goblet and raised it to his lips. Then he remembered what story she'd been telling and he looked the goblet over critically.

Guessing his thoughts, she laughed. “Don't worry, it's safe.”

Harry stared at her a minute, trying to gauge whether she was being truthful. Well, only one way to find out. He took the slightest of sips. When nothing happened, he let out the breath he'd been holding and took a larger drink.

“Anyway,” Ginny went on with her story. “Right after the farting sound, red and gold bubbles shot out from behind him. You can probably visualize exactly what I mean.”

He had just taken a mouthful of juice when she'd continued and, getting the picture in his head, he nearly spewed his drink everywhere. Luckily, he got his free hand up in time. He choked and laughed and choked some more. He couldn't help it. The image of Snape farting Gryffindor bubbles was just too much. Harry nearly howled with laughter, drawing the attention of everyone around him but he didn't care. He laughed until he could hardly breathe. He laughed until his sides ached.

After several minutes of shared laughter, Harry finally managed to laugh himself out. Wiping the moisture from his eyes, he studied his companion. She really didn't seem all that bad. True, neither did any of the others who had turned on him. He hadn't laughed like that, though, in a long time. Maybe, just maybe, Ginny was someone he could get to know a little. She made him feel...connected...to everything. The loneliness wasn't as strong when she was around.

Harry noticed the twinkle in her eyes. “What?” he asked apprehensively.

“That prank lasted for two days.”

“Merlin, I wish I could have seen that,” Harry said, still snickering. “I'd love to be able to pull something on him. He's such a git.”

Ginny tilted her head and studied him a second before smiling again. “That could be arranged, you know.”

“I wish. But I'm not so sure I should cause any trouble because of my uncle.”

“I'm sure he wouldn't care if he knew what a git Snape is.”

“Oh, he knows,” Harry assured her. “They were in the same year at school.”

“Well, just tell him we're not planning anything harmful. He's got to understand.”

Harry shook his head. “It wouldn't look good. He is a professor after all.”

“Oh?”

Ginny turned to the Staff Table and noticed one of the professors watching them with a teasing smile on his face. Turning back to Harry, she watched him eat a moment before commenting.

“Professor Lupin is your uncle?”

Harry glanced up at Remus, noticed the teasing expression and returned his attention to Ginny.

“Well, kind of. I mean, he's not really my uncle but when my parents were–well, he raised me.”

Sobering instantly, Ginny reached out and squeezed his wrist. “I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean to bring up a bad subject.”

Acutely aware of her hand on his arm and acutely aware of the fact that it didn't bother him in the slightest, he shrugged.

“I know. It's okay.”

The bell rang for the first class and Ginny scurried off, throwing a good-bye over her shoulder.

“Bye, Harry! Wish me luck with Snape, would you?”

Harry stayed put a little longer musing over the last bit of time. Ginny really did seem to brighten her surroundings. Now that she was gone, however, everything seemed dull, and loneliness crept back into his heart. A hand landed on his shoulder.

“It's good to see you laugh, Pup,” whispered a voice in Harry's ear.

Harry turned to face his guardian. “It was...well, fun. She was telling me about a prank her brothers pulled on Snape.”

Professor Snape, Harry, and I'd like to hear about it. Those two brothers of hers are a lot like some other pranksters I know. From what I hear, that is.”

Remus patted Harry on his shoulder. “I'll see you after lunch, Harry.”

Remus strode out the Great Hall doors on his way to class. He'd stayed behind to get a chance to talk to his nephew a moment, to see what had made the boy laugh so hard. Remus' heart had lifted at the sight of Harry finally enjoying himself. His laughter had rung out across the room but, for once, the boy hadn't cared how much attention he drew. Yes, Ginny Weasley was definitely good for Harry.

0000000000


The rest of Friday rushed by. Supper had been kind of fun since he actually spoke to Ginny. She'd even introduced him to her brothers, Fred and George. Harry shook his head as he lay in bed, thinking of those two. The twins were ingenious, their ideas for inventions amazing. He couldn't help but think his dad would have loved them. Yawning, he rolled over and fell into an exhausted sleep, for once having pleasant dreams.

“Hey, Harry,” said a voice gently, “time to wake up.”

Harry moaned and mumbled something in his sleep before rolling away from the hand shaking him.

“Come on, Pup, you need to wake up so you can get your potion taken.”

Harry blearily opened his eyes. “Uncle Remus? What are you doing in here?”

“I'm trying to wake you up. That's what I'm doing in here,” Remus replied with a smile.

Harry yawned, sat up and reached for his glasses. Catching a glimpse of the sun well up, his eyes bugged.

“Is it really that late?”

“It is,” Remus confirmed with amusement lacing his voice. “Little Miss Weasley waited for you to come down before going to breakfast but, when you didn't show, she went on ahead. She'd thought you'd already come down and was going to try to find you when she overheard some of your dorm mates talking about you still sleeping. She got worried and found me.”

“Oh.” Harry could feel heat suffusing his face so he refused to look Remus in the eye.

“Harry, don't be embarrassed. She was being a friend.”

Remus walked over to the water pitcher in the room, filled a goblet with water and walked back to Harry, offering the water. He conjured another goblet before pulling a flask from his robe pocket. A quick twist of his wand had the door locking. Then he poured out the dose of potion and handed it to Harry.

“Here, drink this before anyone comes up expecting to get in.”

Dutifully, Harry downed the smoking potion and then quickly chased it with the water. Remus stuffed the flask back into his pocket and banished the goblet he'd conjured before unlocking the door. He patted Harry affectionately on the knee before standing.

“You'd better get up and get around. You have a friend downstairs who seems rather worried about you.”

“What do I tell her?” Harry asked, worry written all over him.

“Tell her you haven't been feeling well. It would be the truth.”

“She's going to catch on sooner or later, Uncle Remus. You said she was very smart.”

“We'll worry about that when it comes. For now, just enjoy the friendship she's offering you.”

Remus headed for the door and turned back to Harry one last time.

“Oh and I'll see you tonight after dinner.” In a lower voice he said, “We'll go through the passage to the Shrieking Shack from the Whomping Willow. Maybe we'll take a run through the Forest.”

Harry nodded. Just as he always did before the full moon, he felt jittery. Anxious to go exploring, especially with a wolf's senses and yet dreading the price he had to pay in order to do so. Sighing, he got up, got dressed and headed downstairs.

“Harry!” Ginny called and ran over to him. “Are you feeling okay? You look worse than you did yesterday. Do you need to see Madame Pomfrey?”

“I'm okay, Ginny. I just haven't been feeling very spectacular lately.”

“Are you hungry? We can go to the kitchens and get you something.”

Harry stared at her in surprise. Not even he knew how to get into the kitchens. Just then his stomach let out a loud protest at its emptiness causing them both to laugh.

“I'll take that as a yes.”

“You know where the kitchens are?”

“Of course, I do,” she said, a mischievous light in her brown eyes. “You're forgetting who two of my brothers are, what they're capable of.”

Conceding the point, he nodded. “Lead the way.”

After a quick breakfast of cereal, fruit and toast, Ginny declared he needed some fresh air and sun so she led him out of the castle onto the grounds. Harry had to admit the sun's modest heat felt quite comforting, the slight breeze in his hair cooling. He loved being outside. The sights, the sounds, the scents, the feeling of it, all combined to put him at ease. When he was young, on more than one occasion, he'd gone to play out in his yard and had actually fallen asleep there.

“Knut for your thoughts.”

Ginny's voice brought Harry back from his musings. He blushed when he realized he'd been lost in thoughts of the past. She'd probably been talking to him and he hadn't paid her any attention whatsoever.

“Sorry, I was just thinking about some times when I was little.”

“Good, I hope.”

Harry shrugged. “Good enough.” And they had been if you just counted the times with his uncle and himself.

Ginny glanced out the corner of her eye at him. There had been a slight edge to his voice just then. She'd also noticed a hint of–pain, was it? Loneliness, perhaps? There was obviously something there that he didn't want to talk about. She understood that better than most. With the whole Chamber incident, she had things she didn't want to talk about either.

“Knut for your thoughts.”

Ginny startled out of her thoughts at that amused voice. Glancing around, she noticed they'd walked almost down to the Black Lake.

“Sorry, didn't mean to space out on you.” Ginny blushed but laughed.

“It's okay. I don't mind the silence. It can be peaceful, soothing, you know?”

“Oh, trust me,” she joked. “With six older brothers, I know.” The smile vanished from her face. “Seriously, though, sometimes I just need to go somewhere and just be.”

Harry was so stunned he actually stopped walking. She actually got it. She actually understood the need to just exist for a while. He'd never thought he'd find someone who could understand how that need felt. Everyone else he'd ever met seemed to always need to be doing something. Quickly, he caught back up with her.

They continued their walk in silence, each appreciating the moment for what it was. This close to the Forbidden Forest, the pull on Harry was strong. To keep himself from giving in, he sat on a boulder by the lake's shore. Ginny perched upon another sitting nearby. The pair sat in silence, eyes closed, faces upturned to the sun, relaxing.

Voices and footsteps came and went but Harry ignored them. Giggling and outright laughter also floated on the breeze. He was sure he and Ginny were getting some odd looks and were probably being ridiculed but Mother Nature was just too soothing to care. For once, he decided to just let them talk, laugh, whatever. He was enjoying himself, something that hadn't happened often in the past. To think it was all down to a petite redheaded girl. Not in a million years would Harry have guessed he'd be friends with a girl, especially one younger than himself. Oh, he'd gotten along with the occasional girl whom his uncle had tutored but it never went beyond acquaintances.

“Harry, have you ever skipped rocks?”

Opening his eyes, he saw Ginny watching him. He felt his cheeks heat and was thankful for the sun having already flushed his skin.

“Er, no, not really. I mean, I've tried but never got the hang of it.”

Hopping off her rock, she motioned him over to the lake and began looking for the appropriate kind of rocks. She gathered a handful as Harry came near.

“These are the kind that work best. You have to have something fairly flat.”

Ginny handed him several of the ones she'd collected then demonstrated the best way to hold and throw it. Stepping away from him, she side-armed the rock over the lake's surface. It contacted and bounced five times before falling into the water. She turned back to Harry, smiling proudly.

“Wow, Ginny, that was brilliant!”

“Now, you try.”

Harry swung his arm in a flattened arc but the rock impacted with the water and sunk immediately. His second attempt wasn't any better. Nor was his third. Frustrated that something so simple seemed beyond him, he threw the next one with a slight growl. That one bounced twice before plummeting beneath the water's surface. Shocked, he stood motionless.

“You did it!” Ginny exclaimed, jumping up and down and clapping.

In her exuberance, she gave him a hug but backed away, blushing, when she realized what she was doing. An awkward silence ensued and she quickly tossed a few rocks in quick succession, watching them bounce their way along. After a few minutes, when Harry hadn't said or done anything to call attention to the hug, Ginny began to relax again.

For Harry, the hug had definitely taken him by surprise. He'd never been hugged by a girl before and he discovered it was kind of nice. He didn't understand how or why but this little slip of a girl made him happy. She chased away the normal gloom he lived under. She was the shining sun after a vicious rainstorm. Laughing at himself, he mentally shook his head. He was waxing poetic. What was she doing to him? Shoving that thought aside, he enjoyed the rest of the morning.

00000000



All afternoon, the pair passed the time flying. Harry borrowed Remus' broom again and Ginny used one of the school brooms. To Harry's continued surprise, she could fly rather well. He did manage to teach her some quidditch moves that Remus had taught him. In fact, Remus, himself joined the two at the pitch and silently watched them fly together. He watched as Harry patiently explained a particular move and then slowly demonstrated it step by step. It struck him, at that moment, how very much like Harry's parents Harry and Ginny were. Harry looked more like James with every passing year and, with her red hair, Ginny could easily pass as Lily from a distance. What if those two ended up together? Wouldn't that just be fitting? Remus chuckled to himself at the thought.

After watching the two fly for a long while, Remus noticed that it was getting close to dinnertime. He called the kids down from the air and walked with them up to the castle.

“Miss Weasley, I'm afraid I'm going have to borrow Harry after dinner,” he apologized. He met Harry's eyes briefly before continuing. “There's something he and I have to do.”

“Oh, okay,” Ginny happily replied. “I'll just catch back up to you after then?”

“Well, actually,” Remus interjected before Harry could say anything, “we're going to be really late so he'll just stay with me for the night. Don't worry. I won't take him away from you for long.”

Remus grunted at the sudden backhanded punch to his gut he received from Harry at that statement. He had to work hard not to laugh at the glare the kid threw at him. Upon reaching the castle, he left the two of them to talk and entered the Great Hall.

Harry hesitated before going into the Great Hall. Ginny knew he was keeping something from her and he was afraid she was mad. Taking a deep steadying breath, he turned to her.

“I hope you don't mind. About tonight, I mean. It's just something I have to do and I'm not really comfortable talking about it.”

Seeing he was really anxious by the way he bounced from foot to foot, practically chewing his thumbnail, Ginny gently pulled his hand away from his mouth and smiled.

“It's okay, Harry. I understand. Some things are personal. It would take a lot more than that to scare me off.”

Harry briefly wondered if telling her he was a werewolf would do the trick. Not wanting to think about that, he flashed her a brief smile as they continued to their table.

0000000000



After dinner, Harry retrieved an overnight bag from his dorm, said good-bye to Ginny, and hurried off to his guardian's private quarters. As the sun began to set, the pair headed out of the castle. Harry stared at the wildly swinging branches of the Whomping Willow. Remus had described the tree to him of course but the reality was so much more...threatening.

Remus glanced around for anyone watching, cast a quick Confundus Charm, just in case, then immobilized the tree.
“That charm won't last long, Harry, so get going.”

Remus waited for Harry to scramble through the opening at the base of the tree before following. They walked a great distance before coming to a set of stairs that led to a trapdoor. Up the stairs, through the trapdoor and Harry found himself on the ground level of the Shrieking Shack.

“There's a room there for you to use,” Remus said as he pointed over to Harry's left.

Harry entered the dust-filled, ramshackle room. A mattress lay on the floor but it looked as if it had played host to mice for years. A lopsided table stood next to the mattress. Across the room, a shattered mirror hung on the wall. Harry approached the mirror and stood there, studying his reflection. It wouldn't be long now. His nerves tingled in that way they did before a change. Harry considered it an early warning system. That and his eyes. Now, his eyes bore no resemblance whatsoever to his mother's eyes. The green had completely gone leaving them the yellow associated with a wolf.

A knock on the open door drew Harry's attention away from his reflection.

“Do you want me to stay with you?”

Harry shook his head. “I've been changing on my own for awhile now, Uncle Remus. I'm not a little kid anymore.”

“I know,” Remus said quietly. “A lot of things have changed for you in the last few weeks. I just thought I'd ask. I know it's still quite painful for you.”

“It's alright. I get through it.”

Remus silently watched his nephew. He could feel the change was just about upon them, like reaching for something barely beyond his reach. Just one look told him that Harry knew it too. The boy always trembled before the transformation. His completely yellow eyes were the other tell-tale sign.

Remus smiled, sadly. “Yes, you do,” he said before walking away.

Harry hurried over and closed the door most of the way, leaving just enough space to get a muzzle through. He didn't want to run the risk of tearing his clothes so he began disrobing. He'd gotten his shirt off when the first spasm of pain hit, doubling him over and stealing his breath. Stumbling his way to the little rickety table, Harry placed his glasses upon the tabletop. Another burst of pain sent him to his knees with a cry. Breathing heavily, sweating profusely, Harry fumbled with his trousers, finally managing to remove them.

He cried out again as every nerve ending burned. He lay on the floor, unable to move any further. The change was fully beginning. Pressure in his spine as it shortened became unbearable, forcing another cry from Harry. His ribcage became deeper. Shoulders and hips curved to accommodate the new spine, shoving muscles and ligaments aside, eliciting screams almost constantly now from the young teen. His leg bones shrank and thickened. Arm bones did the same, curving inward toward his chest. Hands and feet disappeared as paws formed. More pressure in his skull marked the beginning of its conversion from human to wolf. Teeth grew and sharpened. Muscles and ligaments reformed to fit the new bones. Black fur sprouted over every inch of him. One final tortured yell, a strangling sound then a loud canine yelp echoed through the empty building accompanied by the howl of another wolf.

A smallish black wolf lay panting where Harry had been. It struggled to rise but couldn't. A whine at the door drew the black wolf's attention and it returned the sound, still breathing heavily. The door opened fully to reveal a large gray wolf. This wolf padded to the small one and nudged it. The small wolf pawed playfully at the large wolf in return. It then rose unsteadily to all fours. The gray wolf led the black one to the open trapdoor and turned to its companion as if asking whether it wanted to go down. In response, the small black wolf jumped the short distance to the floor of the tunnel and waited. The gray wolf followed and, together, the two headed for the Whomping Willow entrance.

Remus, in his gray wolf form, exited the tunnel first, peering all around for prying eyes. Timing his departure, he ran to just beyond the reach of the deadly tree's limbs. Turning back, he encouraged his nephew to come out with a quick bark and whine.

A black head poked through the entrance and warily eyed the thrashing limbs. Another sharp bark had Harry's black wolf zigzagging around the limbs, barely missing being hit by inches. Excitement coursing through him at his near misses, he playfully lunged at the bigger wolf, which easily rolled and pinned Harry. Harry whined his defeat and the gray wolf let him up.

Together, the two ran down to the lake, frolicking along the shore, sniffing trails. The Forbidden Forest called to something within Harry and he stealthily headed in that direction, Remus following closely behind. Thanks to the Wolfsbane Potion, Harry retained his human mind while in wolf form and the sights, sounds, and smells of the forest astounded him. The scurrying of nocturnal creatures tempted his wolf side to give chase but Harry resisted.

Suddenly, the ground shook under Harry's paws. The rhythmic thundering of hooves piqued his interest. A herd of centaurs galloped toward him. Shocked at seeing them in the Forbidden Forest, Harry froze. Then Remus' gray wolf was there, standing between him and the fast moving group. Like water around a boulder, the herd parted. One of them stopped, studied the two, then spoke.

“Safety is relative.” He nodded as if he'd imparted some very important message before catching up to the rest of his herd.

Harry, legs quivering, sank to the ground with a sigh. Now that the danger had passed, relief at being in one piece overcame him. A whine of concern had Harry opening his eyes and he half-growled, half-snuffled in reply to let his guardian know he was fine. He suddenly felt very tired, though, and yawned. Remus nosed him, looked back in the general direction of the Whomping Willow and turned back to his companion. Harry, getting the message, stood and the two returned to the dangerous tree that hid their tunnel entrance.

After barely escaping being whacked by the flailing branches and their long trek back to the Shack, the pair curled up on a ratty old carpet and fell asleep.

0000000000


The familiar tingling woke Harry just before sunrise. Wearily, he entered his room. He stumbled as the pain hit, an agony-filled yelp escaping his mouth. He lay down to wait and it didn't take long. First, the burning of his nerve endings came. Then the incredible pressure in his spine as it lengthened, eliciting more yelps of pain. Shoulders and hips became human followed quickly by his arms and legs, hands and feet reappearing. Teeth shrank and pressure in his skull as it changed back threatened to burst his head apart. All during the change, canine cries accompanied the morphing form until the very last. As his skull became human, Harry's howl turned to a human's tortured scream.

Finally, it was over and Harry lay shivering, temporarily immobile, on the floor. Exhausted, all he wanted was to sleep but he knew he had to make it back to his uncle's quarters. A tentative knock on the door pulled him from those thoughts.

“Harry?” Remus called quietly.

“ 'M okay,” slurred Harry, breathless.

Remus entered the room and gathered the hastily discarded clothes from the night before then Harry's glasses from the bedside table. His motions were slow and hesitant, weariness evident on his face, and in the way he carried himself. He wished he could make the transformation easier on Harry. No one understood why, even with the Wolfsbane Potion, it hurt so much more the younger the person was. He had a theory so he'd been studying everything he could get his hands on to try to find a way to solve the problem but as of yet, he'd had no luck.

Gently, Remus helped Harry sit up and put on the shirt. After helping him to the bed, Remus handed over Harry's trousers and socks. Once those were on, he gave Harry his glasses and shoes. Remus could see the boy's energy was totally spent so they sat on the bed a few minutes before tackling the tunnel back to school.

0000000000


Uncle and nephew were just entering the castle when a surprised voice stopped them.

“Harry!”

Ginny ran over to them, engulfing Harry in a large hug. Feeling his flinch, she pulled back in time to see a pained expression on his face, one he tried to hide behind a tired smile. She took the time to truly study her friend. He looked awful. He was horribly pale with puffy red circles under his eyes. Then she noticed the eyes themselves and gasped. They were no longer the yellow-green they'd been the day before. Now, they were the dark emerald green she remembered first seeing. He yawned and swayed slightly where he stood.

“Sorry, Miss Weasley, but I need to get Harry to my rooms before he falls asleep. He'll be along after a good nap.”

Ginny turned to the professor, planning to give him a piece of her mind for keeping Harry out so late but she saw the same worn out look in the man's countenance though he hid it well.

“Sure, sorry to hold you up.”

“No, no,” Remus disagreed, “it's always nice to talk with friends. Your concern for Harry means a lot.”

Harry yawned again. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

“Bye, Harry,” Ginny said, softly. “I'll catch up to you later. Sleep well.”

Ginny gave a quick wave and left them alone.

“Come on, Harry. Let's get you to bed.”

Harry gave a noncommittal reply and forced one foot in front of the other until, at last, they were inside Remus' quarters. Harry trudged toward the couch but Remus redirected Harry to the spare bedroom where the youth immediately collapsed on the bed, out like a light.

Remus lightly covered Harry, removed the boy's glasses and stood, watching him a minute. Sighing, he entered his own bedroom, covered up and fell asleep, as well.

0000000000


Ginny hadn't been the only one to notice the pair entering the castle looking for all the world like they'd gone a few rounds with a herd of hippogriffs.

“Well, well. What do you know? Lupin and Potter looking as if they've been out all night. What could they have possibly been doing?”





















Reviews 272
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear