Search:

SIYE Time:4:01 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Beast Within
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 272
Summary: Two pivotal things happen the night of October 31, 1981. They will change the course of Harry's life. Forever.





Posting issue resolved. For the moment at least and hopefully permanently.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152504; Chapter Total: 6322
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Well, here's the next installment. Hope you like it. Hermione has gotten her head back on straight.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“No person, trying to take responsibility for her or his identity, should have to be so alone. There must be those among whom we can sit down and weep, and still be counted as warriors.” 
― Adrienne Rich


Saturday morning, Ginny found herself awakened by Hermione. “What's the matter?”

“We need to talk. Privately.”

Ginny knew exactly what the older girl wanted to talk about. The same thing she'd been wanting to talk about since the morning after the full moon.

She gave a frustrated sigh at having been awakened so early. “Alright. Let's go.”

She threw on her dressing gown and followed Hermione down the stairs. She sat in the same chair Harry had curled up in that day, subconsciously declaring her allegiance.

Hermione sat on the couch, took a deep calming breath, then looked up. “Ginny, I know,” she said softly. “About Harry. I know what he is. I know why you both were so exhausted that morning. Harry displays all the signs; to be honest, I'm surprised no one else knows.”

“Hermione, I don't--”

“Ginny, you don't have to deny it. You don't have to protect him from me. You've probably made him a promise and I can respect that. I'm so sorry for how I've acted, Ginny. Professor McGonagall and I had a nice little chat and it made me realize how awful I've been. I hope you can forgive me. Just know that he has nothing to fear from me.”

“I appreciate that.”

Both girls startled at Harry's voice by the boys' stairs. Hermione spun around, hand to her heart. “Harry, you scared me. You move so quietly.”

Harry shrugged. “A perk, I guess.”

“Anyway, I know you and I haven't gotten off to a good start so you have no reason to believe me but your secret is safe with me.”

Harry looked to Ginny for how to respond. She seemed to study her friend a moment. Hermione turned back around to Ginny, not flinching from the younger girl's gaze. Ginny returned her gaze to Harry and smiled with a single nod. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

“Okay. Not that I have much choice anyway.”

Ginny beamed at him and motioned him over. That smile made him feel special, like he just did something fantastic. It wasn't an altogether foreign sensation as Uncle Remus had always gone out of his way to make sure he felt that way, but coming from Ginny, it seemed a little extra special. He couldn't figure out why so he put it out of his head to ponder another day. He took a seat on the couch.

“Harry, I'm really sorry about those things I did and for acting the way I have. I haven't been very welcoming. Sometimes I have such a one-track mind that I don't really think about how others are affected by what I do and say. And yes, sometimes I come across as...well, a not-so-nice word that rhymes with witch. I hope you can forgive me. I'd like to be a friend.”

“Er, okay, I guess. I can try. No guarantees, though.”

“Understood. Thank you, Harry.”

Footsteps skipped down the boys' stairs. “Ah, Harry and Ginny! Just the ones I was hoping to see. Come down to breakfast. Impromptu practice in 20 minutes.”

“Alright, We'll be down soon.”

Oliver nodded and headed out. Harry scowled. “Why does he have to make practice so early?”

Ginny giggled. “Oliver is a bit obsessive, if you haven't noticed. It's his last year and he wants to win. I can't fault him for that.”

“Well, I can't either but it's still way too early.”

“I thought you enjoyed flying,” Ginny teased.

“I do! It's just he has a knack for taking all the fun out of it.”

The two girls laughed at that. Once she'd settled down, Hermione hesitantly asked her question. “How are you, Harry? Really? You look a little better than you did a few days ago.”

“I am better. The day after a full moon I'm pretty much rubbish. If I can sleep, I don't notice the aches so much. It takes a few days to get back to normal. It's the opposite when the full moon approaches. The aches come on and get worse as it gets closer. And I get all edgy, jittery. I can get moody, too, so if I snap at you, try not to take it personally.”

“I get it. May I ask about the--,” she paused when some girls came down the stairs, giggling. Once they'd left, she continued. “--the Wolfsbane Potion? I mean, how does it work? How does it help?”

Harry squirmed a bit. He wasn't really all that comfortable talking about it. The bushy-haired girl must have picked up on it.

“It's okay, Harry. You don't have to talk about it.”

“Besides, Harry and I should probably be getting down to the Great Hall before Oliver comes up and frog marches us down.”

“Oh, true.” Hermione stood and rushed upstairs. Within minutes she was back with her rucksack. “I'm going to the library after breakfast.”

“Surprise, surprise,” Ginny cheekily joked.

0000000000


“Are we ever going to just get out there and fly?”

“Yeah, we're never going to remember all of this anyway.”

Oliver glared at the twins. “We'll do it until you're doing it in your dreams.”

Harry groaned. Angelina smacked Fred, Alicia got George. Katie dropped her head into her hands.

“Look, this is important. We're playing Slytherin first and we know how dirty they can play. We need to be ready for every contingency.”

“We already are,” quipped Fred.

“Yeah, we have Harry,” added George, throwing Harry a wink.

Harry blushed at the praise. For them to treat him so favorably touched him. He discovered he liked being around the twins. They were loads of fun. They were kind of how he imagined his dad, Uncle Remus and Sirius had been.

“Thanks, guys, but I'm nothing without the rest of you.”

“Spoken like a true team player,” Oliver said, nodding and smiling.

Fred faked a look of distaste. “That's most Hufflepuff of you, Harry. Are you sure you're in the right House?”

Angelina cut in. “I thought that was quite noble. So, yes, he's in the right House.”

“Besides,” Alicia added, laughing. “we're not giving him up.”

“Never,” George agreed.

“You haven't even seen me play. I could be total rubbish. I haven't actually played before.”

“Harry, if you fly half as well as Oliver says you do...”

“...not to mention what we saw during tryouts...”

“...we have nothing to worry about.”

“Alright, well, let's get out there and get some practice in.”

0000000000


“Hermione! What are you doing here? I thought you were going to the library.”

“I did for a little bit but I thought I ought to be here. You know, to cheer Harry on. What are you doing up here?”

“Oh, I'm only getting to play in a game or two, to get some experience so I'm up here. It'll mean a lot to Harry to see you up here, too. You and I, and to a lesser extent Fred and George, are pretty much the only friends he has.”

“I'm not surprised considering...everything.” Hermione glanced around. They were alone in their little section. “Does he talk about...it?”

“No, but he doesn't have to.” Ginny felt her eyes tear up. “Oh, Hermione, it was so awful.” She swiped at an escaping tear. “The pain he was in. I'll never get the sounds out of my head.” A shudder ran through her.

Hermione draped her arm over the younger girl's shoulders. “I'm sorry, Ginny. I didn't mean to upset you. I shouldn't have brought it up.”

Ginny sniffed. “It's okay. I'm glad I can talk to you about this. I certainly can't talk to Harry; he'd push me away and shut down again.”

“It was that bad?”

“Imagine the worst pain you've ever felt and multiply it times a thousand.” Hermione paled. “It was probably even worse than that. It's what it sounded like anyway.”

“That's terrible.”

“And it's worse for Harry because he's young. Professor Lupin said it affects the young the worst. He thinks it has something to do with the human mind fighting the physical transformation, trying to take control or something like that.” She gave a sarcastic laugh. “And can you believe Harry was embarrassed and ashamed that I heard him screaming?”

“What? That's just silly. He shouldn't be ashamed of that.”

“Yeah, that's what I told him. I guess he's been alone for so long, hasn't had that acceptance before that...well, I don't know how to explain it.”

“I think I know what you mean. And yes, the way he's been forced to live, with no real friends, it explains a lot, especially his initial resentment for being here. So many magical people probably turned away from him. I can't say that I blame him for not wanting to be in the magical world. I know my attitude before didn't help any. Ginny, how is it that no one knows of Harry's little problem? I mean, if he's been around magical people, surely someone would have noticed his scar and would have seen the...signs.”

“I asked Professor Lupin why they didn't hide Harry's eyes and he said the charm some use dulls the eye color, blends it kind of, so the change isn't as obvious and Harry didn't want to hide anymore the one feature he got from his mum. They'd tried using those things muggles use in their eyes but they irritated Harry's eyes too much. Harry told me that when he was little his scar had been hidden and he went by his uncle's last name Sometimes they even changed his eye color a little.”

“Oh,” Hermione nodded thoughtfully. “Yeah, his eyes are kind of distinctive, when they're his normal color, I mean. There's something I've been wondering. How could Harry handle that Sickle I gave him? It's pure silver. Why didn't it hurt him?”

“Because Sickles have a charm on them, kind of like an Impervious Charm. The charm provides a barrier between the silver and the skin. No contact, no burns.”

“Brilliant. Why didn't I read about that somewhere?”

“Because it's not widely known. And it isn't written down. It's just passed down from one to another.” Ginny suddenly jumped up. “Oh, look! There they are!”

0000000000


The practice lasted nearly to lunchtime. It was a rather tired Harry who flew over to the stands to join the girls. Dismounting his broom, he plopped onto the bench next to Ginny and sighed.

“I'm going to have to hurt Oliver.”

“You might want to choose your words a little more carefully,” came a cold voice behind them. “Especially after what you did to me in the common room.”

“Ron!” Hermione jumped up, spinning to face the redhead behind them. Her cheeks burned as her temper rose. “That was an accident and you know it. Besides, I've heard Angelina and Alicia threaten Oliver with worse. If you're worried about a threat from somewhere, worry about it coming from them.”

“Hermione, I can't believe you're okay with him being here. You saw what he did.”

“And he apologized for it. I don't hold grudges.” She crossed her arms over her chest and looked a little sad. “I'm disappointed to find that you do, though I guess I should have seen it.”

“Mark my words, Hermione. He's going to hurt someone someday. Maybe a little first year. What are you going to say then? How are you going to defend him then?”

“Is there a problem here?”

With Ginny busy trying to convince Harry her brother was wrong and with Hermione and Ron's loud argument, none of them heard Remus join them in the stands. They all jumped when he spoke.

“Oh, hi, Professor.”

“Yeah, something's wrong, alright,” Ron said, hoping to show up Hermione. “I believe someone's in danger of being hurt.”

“Oh? Who might that be?”

“I don't know yet. It hasn't happened yet but I'm certain it will.”

“Hmmm. This sounds important. Come with me and we'll discuss it.” Remus looked down at the long package he held, as if he'd forgotten he had it. “Oh, Mr. Potter, this came for you this morning. You'd already left to come down here so I volunteered to bring it to you.”

“Oh!”

As Harry walked over to retrieve it, Remus turned to Ron. “Head on up to the castle. I'll meet you there.”

“Alright.” Ron threw a smirk in Hermione's direction before taking off.

Remus waited until the boy's footfalls faded before speaking again. “Don't worry, Harry, it'll work itself out.”

“But he's right. I could hurt someone. I didn't even realize I'd tackled Ron. What if some first year comes along next?”

“Harry, Minerva informed me as to what happened. You know as well as I do what happened had to do with timing. The running that Madame Pomfrey prescribed will help work off that edginess, I think. You start doing that and I think the issue will be less problematic. Just let me know before you start. Alright?”

“Alright.”

Remus smiled gave Harry a quick hug. “Now, as for this,” he held up the long package, “it's from Sirius. I believe his exact words were 'I want him to show up those Slytherins and prove who deserves to be on his team.'”

Harry laughed. “That sounds like Sirius.”

He took the package and lay it on a bench so he could start unwrapping it. It wasn't until he'd gotten half the broom handle unwrapped that he froze, mouth hanging open.

“Oh, no way!” In a flurry of movement, the rest of the paper came off. “Brilliant!”

Ginny's eyes were round with awe. “A Firebolt,” she whispered. “Wicked!”

“A racing broom?” Hermione asked, sounded less than thrilled. “What do you need with a racing broom?

Ginny shook her head, pity in her eyes. “It's the perfect broom, Hermione. Its unsurpassable balance and pinpoint precision, not to mention its aerodynamic perfection makes it the perfect broom for Quidditch. Then there's the unbreakable Braking Charm. And it's fast, nought to one hundred and fifty miles per hour in ten seconds. The handle is ash with birch or hazel twigs depending on personal preference and the ironwork is goblin made.”

Remus grinned, Harry's brows rose in surprise and Hermione stared at the girl, impressed. Ginny blushed, laughed a little.

“Yeah, okay, so I memorized the ad in Quality Quidditch Supplies. It's a beautiful broom, Harry. You'll fly even more circles around Malfoy.”

“One little correction, Miss Weasley. It's actually made of polished ebony. This one has birch twigs as birch gives it a little more 'oomph' when ascending.”

“Ebony? Really?” Ginny shrugged. “Oh, well. Still. Try it out, Harry.”

Harry wanted to try it out but he felt a little weird doing so. It was a terribly expensive broom and riding it in front of Ginny, whose family had very little money, seemed to him as if he was showing off. He looked up to Remus to hopefully get some advice but the man merely smiled.

“I should get back to the castle. I'm sure Mr. Weasley is wondering where I am.” He leaned close. “Sirius is out there keeping watch but don't be out too long.”

The man walked away and Harry stared after him. What should he do now? What was the appropriate action to take? Uggh, this was frustrating.

“What are you waiting for, Harry? Come on, take it out.”

Harry turned to Hermione. She knew about a lot of stuff, maybe she could signal him as to what he should do. Nope. She seemed to be waiting for him to do something. He turned his gaze to Ginny. Her brow furrowed in puzzlement, her amber eyes searching his. Then her expression cleared.

“Harry,” she said softly, “you don't have to feel bad. So you have access to money. Big deal. Money isn't everything. What my family lacks in our vault, we more than make up for at home. So go fly that awesome broom. I want to watch.”

How did she know? How did she know that was exactly how he'd been feeling? He searched for any sign that she was being untruthful and found none. She truly was happy for him and wanted to see him fly it. He thought about how she'd had the ad in the store memorized. How often had she even been able to get to Diagon Alley? Probably not often and she'd still managed to memorize it. An idea came to him and he acted on it.

“You first.” He held the broom out to her.

Ginny just looked at him. “What?”

“You first. I'm guessing you didn't make that many trips to Diagon Alley and yet you still managed to commit all that to memory. You can go first.”

“Harry, I'm not going to be the first one to ride your gift. I'll make a deal with you. You ride it first, then I will, okay?”

Harry gave her a smile. “Deal.”

Mounting the broom, he kicked off and shot upward. He put the broom through its paces performing dives, barrel rolls, corkscrews, quick turns. He raced from one end of the pitch to the other. Done for the moment, he headed back to Ginny.

“Merlin, Harry, that thing is fast!”

Harry had to laugh at the picture she made. She was practically jumping up and down, she was so excited. Her eyes danced and her cheeks were flushed. Her smile nearly blinded him with its brilliance. He got this unfamiliar sensation in his stomach. Unfamiliar but not altogether unpleasant. .

“Here. Your turn.”

She took off, a whoop of joy splitting the air.

“That was nice of you, Harry,” Hermione commented.

Harry shrugged. “She loves to fly as much as I do. Why shouldn't she get to experience it?”

Hermione looked over to him. “You're amazing, Harry. Others wouldn't have given it a second thought and just gotten out there, but you, you were actually embarrassed.”

Harry shrugged a second time, keeping his eyes on Ginny's petite form. “I know what it's like to not have money. I felt unworthy, envious when others flaunted their expensive things in front of me. I didn't want to do that. Ginny's been a great friend and I didn't want to do anything to muck it up.”

The girl's mouth curved upward slightly. “I don't think you can. She's already accepted you as you are.”

Harry tore his gaze away from the pitch to look into the other girl's blue eyes. “That's exactly why I'm afraid of mucking it up. I mean, how many more Ginnys are out there?”

The girl in question chose that moment to return. “Oh, that was so wicked, Harry. I can't wait to see Malfoy's face. He's going to faint.”

“It would certainly help me catch the Snitch if he did so.”

“Oh, you won't have any trouble. You fly way better than he does.” Harry's stomach let out a loud growl making Ginny laugh. “Come on. It's probably lunchtime.”

The pair had taken a few steps before Ginny realized Hermione hadn't come with them. She stopped and turned back to find Hermione watching them, a small smile on her face.

“You coming, Hermione?”

“Actually,” she said, an idea having just occurred to her. “I'll catch up to you. There's something I want to do first.”

“We can wait.”

“No, Ginny, don't. It's okay.”

The pair exchanged a glance, both thinking the same thing. “Actually, I'd rather you weren't out here alone, Hermione.” Harry countered.

“Why not?”

“I'd just feel better if you weren't, okay?”

“Alright. I'm not all that hungry yet so I think I'll work on some homework before I go to lunch.”

“Suit yourself,” Ginny said with a shrug.

0000000000


Hermione said good-bye to her friends and watched them enter the Great Hall, Harry still carrying his Firebolt. Inwardly, she smiled at her cleverness. Unless she missed her guess, Ginny was harboring a little crush on Harry. She'd seen the way the girl had blushed when she first started talking about him. And her eyes lit up, too. She'd be good for Harry, Hermione was sure of it, and Merlin knew Harry hadn't had many good things so far in his life. What he'd said touched her greatly. He obviously cherished his friendship with Ginny. It kind of made her sad that someone with such a tender heart and soul had been forced by society to live separate and alone from everyone. Hermione recalled the way he'd looked at the petite redhead after he'd ridden his broom. Maybe he was starting to feel a bit of something toward Ginny. Hermione figured she could play matchmaker a little.

0000000000


Once lunch was eaten, Harry pulled Ginny into a classroom that looked to have been abandoned for years. By one wall, he let go of his broom and let it hover there. They found some old pillows and cleaned them off a little before settling onto the floor, leaning against the wall opposite of Harry's broom. Ginny appeared puzzled but remained silent and he was grateful for the chance to figure out how to say what he wanted to tell her.

He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. Staring at his hands, he decided to just say it. “Ginny, remember I told you I had another reason to accept being a werwolf?” Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her nod. “Before I was born, there was a prophecy made that described the person who'd be able to get rid of Riddle–for good. It's why my parents were in hiding and it's why they were killed.”

“Someone predicted Riddle's defeat?” Harry nodded. “Do you want to share what it said? Can you share what it said?”

“I shouldn't but I don't want to keep any secrets from you. Not anymore. You've been too good of a friend to me.”

“I appreciate that, Harry, but if you feel you shouldn't share it, then maybe--”

“No, this is important. Uncle Remus knows I'm telling you and he's okay with it. You just can't tell anyone else.”

“Of course I won't, Harry.”

“Before I tell you that, though, I need to say something else, something I should have told you a long time ago.”

“Okay,” she said, drawing the word out.

“I'm a parselmouth.”

“What?”

“I can talk to snakes. I just wanted you to know because of, you know, your previous experience.”

Ginny paused a moment then drew in a deep breath. “It doesn't change who you are. So, tell me about this prophecy.”

Harry pulled his knees up to his chest and propped his arms on them, fingers entwined, the thumb of one hand nervously rubbing the palm of his other hand. Keeping his eyes locked on his knees, he shared his destined mission.

“It's me, Ginny. I'm the one who has to do it.” One hand lifted his fringe, revealing his scar. “He marked me, Ginny. My scar is the proof that it's me.”

Ginny sat, stunned, just staring at her friend. Then she slowly shook her head, vision beginning to blur. “No. No way. No, Harry. There must be some mistake. There has to be some mistake.”

“There's isn't. The Chosen One was to be born at the end of July, which I was, born to parents who had defied Riddle three times, which mine had, and would be marked as Riddle's equal, which I obviously have been.”

A tear escaped and she let it fall. “But surely there's someone else who--”

“Only two babies were born at that time who fit the first two descriptions. I was one of them. Riddle himself fulfilled the last requirement when he tried to kill me.”

Another tear escaped but she ignored it. “Is that why you didn't come to Hogwarts when you were eleven? Because of Riddle?”

“Not really. It's more that I wanted nothing to do with the wizarding world. They wanted nothing to do with me, after all. But then Uncle Remus heard what happened with that Stone and decided I was safer where I was. He had to have work, though, so he took the teaching position this year. My parents had left him a little money when they died so we'd been living off that and what little he made tutoring but it finally ran out. I wasn't happy that he'd taken the job without talking to me first. I felt so betrayed I ended up not speaking to him for two days.”

“Oh, Harry. I'm sorry.” Ginny lay her head on Harry's shoulder.

“It's okay. I got over it. What I've told you of the prophecy so far isn't the worst part.”

“Tell me.” Her voice quivered but it held a note of determination.

Harry's throat closed up. He'd rarely spoken of it, even to his uncle so he found it extremely difficult to do so now.

In a bit of a rasp, he quoted, “One must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.”

Ginny buried her face in Harry's shoulder and cried, holding nothing back. He felt her arm slide around his back and he turned and pulled her closer. Her other arm slipped around his waist, her tears soaked the front of his shirt. He hated making her cry but he still felt she needed to know. He believed she needed to know what could be in store for her if she wanted to be his friend.

“It's not fair,” she said through her tears. “You have enough to deal with. Why that, too?”

“Fairness hasn't exactly been the theme of my life, Ginny. I learned to accept my role in what was to come. Don't get me wrong, I denied it at first, didn't want to believe it but in the end, I realized I was better off meeting it head on. At least, I'd be more prepared that way.” He grew quiet a few minutes. “I wish I'd been here last year. I could have helped you and you wouldn't have had to go through all that.”

Ginny's head jerked off his chest and she pulled away from him. Though red and puffy, her eyes were fierce. “I'm glad you weren't. You could have gotten hurt or worse. I'd go through it again if it meant you stayed safe.”

“But Ginny--”

“No, Harry. I would have hated myself if you'd been here and had gotten hurt or killed because of me. You're too important. And I'm not just talking about that prophecy. The world needs more people like you.”

“More werewolves?”

Her blazing glare made him instantly sorry he'd been flippant.

“I meant people who were kind and sincere but you know, now that I think about, your status as a werewolf could be put to use, too.”

“How's that?”

“To show people that not all werewolves are the evil creatures they're made out to be, that most of you are just like everyone else, having the same needs and wants.”

“Maybe. I'm just not comfortable with everyone knowing what I am.”

“Think about it before deciding. If it ever did come out, you could use it then.”

“Granted.”

“Is this why you're doing extra work for Charms?”

“Yeah. I'm kind of bored, too, so Professor Flitwick agreed to let me work ahead.”

“So what are you working on now?”

“It's a fifth year spell that silences whatever you use it on.”

“Really? That's brilliant! Have you had any success?”

“None at all.”

“Why did they put you in third year if you're so advanced?”

“I'm only that advanced in Charms, Defense and Potions. The other classes I'm between third and fourth year so they put me in third figuring I could work ahead when needed.”

“Makes sense.”

The two sat in comfortable silence awhile before Harry spoke.

“Are you okay?”

Ginny looked up at him incredulously. “You tell me you have to rid the world of Riddle and you're asking me if I'm okay?”

Harry shrugged, a little embarrassed. “I've had time to accept it.” He paused and looked away. “I'm going to end up a target. I'd understand if you'd rather not--”

Ginny pulled his his face back around, looked him straight in the eye. “I'm not going anywhere, Harry. I'm not like all those others who let you down. I'm sticking by you and don't you forget it. You're my best friend. You're not alone anymore.”

A strange mix of joy and something else made his stomach do cartwheels before sliding up his chest to his heart. He'd been so afraid the news would have been one revelation too many and she'd cut her losses, give him up as a bad job. His vision blurred and he tried to fight the tears but Ginny gathered him into a hug, told him it was okay to cry, which he did, his head on her shoulder, his sniffles the only sounds in the room.

A while later, Harry finally pulled away, swiped at his tears, sniffled a few more times. “Sorry about that.”

“About what? About crying? Merlin, Harry, you're entitled.”

“I messed up your shirt.”

Ginny looked down at the damp spot covering her shoulder then looked back up at Harry. “I'll consider it a badge of honor. Besides, I cried all over your shoulder. I'm happy to return the favor.”

“Thanks, Ginny.”

“Anytime, Harry.” She elbowed him playfully. “That's what friends are for.”

0000000000


The last day of the month was the first Hogsmeade visitation day. Although Harry could go since Remus had signed a permission form, he didn't want to go and leave Ginny behind. Hermione was going with Ron and had invited Harry but Harry didn't feel like being glared at all day so he declined. He and Ginny stood in the Entrance Hall, Ginny doing her best to convince Harry to go ahead.

“But why? Hermione's going with Ron. I'd just be by myself. I don't see how that would be any fun.”

“I have a few Sickles I've saved. Get me something from Honeydukes, preferably a sugar quill or chocolate frog.”

Harry continued to protest but Ginny was adamant, even giving him a little shove towards towards the open doors.

“Oh, and here.”

Reaching in her pocket, she pulled out 5 sickles and attempted to hand them to Harry. In the end, she had to open his hand, drop the coins into it and close his fingers around them.

“Are you absolutely sure, Ginny?”

“Of course, I'm sure, Harry. Now go. You're wasting time.”

“Alright, but I won't be gone long.”

“Take as long as you want. More importantly, enjoy yourself.”

“I would if you were with me.”

That made Ginny smile and it brightened her eyes. “Thanks, Harry. That's sweet of you. Now go.”

Harry waved half-heartedly and joined the others spilling through the doors. His hands stuffed in his pockets, head down, he trudged his way along, sedately following the crowds of students. Some passed him by without saying a word; some just gave him an odd look. Harry didn't care. He didn't feel much like talking to them, either. At least the weather was holding up, chilly but sunny.

“Hey! Harry!”

Harry looked up and saw Neville standing with Dean and Seamus, waving him over to The Three Broomsticks. Neville was usually nice to him. Sometimes, Harry envied the slightly pudgy boy's blissful ignorance of what could have been his destiny, envied the boy's unfettered life. He ambled over to see what Neville wanted.

“Harry, why are you by yourself? Stay with us. It's not much fun to be here alone.”

The looks on the other boys' faces gave away their thoughts on Harry joining them. Harry wondered if Ron had been talking to them and convinced them to stay as far away as possible. Neville didn't seem to notice.

“That's okay, Neville. I'm just here long enough to pick up something for Ginny. Thanks, anyway.”

“Oh, okay. Well, talk to you later then.”

“Yeah.”

Harry continued on, looking for Honeydukes. Off a little ways away to his left, sat the Shrieking Shack, looming over the picturesque village just as the prophecy and his lycanthropy loomed over his life. A little farther down the lane he found Honeydukes. Packed with students, he wasn't sure there was room to even get in the door. He did manage to squeeze in and discovered the barely controlled chaos of the shop. He looked around at all the brightly colored displays. Ice Mice, Cauldron Cakes, Chocolate Frogs, Honeydukes' Best Chocolate, No-Melt Ice Cream, Pixie Puffs, Pumpkin Fizz, Pumpkin Pasties, Sugar Quills, Treacle Fudge and so much more, stuff he couldn't see for students crowding in front of the displays.

“Harry!”

“Oh, hey, Alicia.”

“You look a little overwhelmed.” The Gryffindor Chaser looked around the shop trying to remember how it felt when she saw it the first time. “Yeah, I guess it can be a bit dizzying. Maybe I can help. Looking for anything in particular?”

“I promised Ginny I'd pick her up some chocolate frogs and sugar quills. I'll probably get myself something, as well. Any suggestions?”

“Well, I'd suggest staying away from Bertie Botts' Beans. They're not kidding about the 'Every Flavor' part. Unless you want a hole burned into your tongue, stay away from the Acid Pops. The Bat's Blood Soup and Blood flavored lollipops are obvious ones to stay away from. Other than that, it depends on your personal preference in sweets.”

“I like chocolate pretty well and am kind of partial to treacle tart.”

“Then I'd suggest some of Honeydukes' Best Chocolate and the Treacle Fudge.” She pointed out the locations of each sweet. “Anything else I can help with?”

“I don't think so, but thanks.”

She nodded and moved off to catch up to her friends. Harry squeezed next to the rows of chocolate and picked up a few chocolate frogs and a couple of bars of Honeydukes' Best chocolate. He had to squeeze back out to get across the room to the Sugar Quills. He picked three of them, then turned to the line at the counter. After waiting a few more minutes, he got his Treacle Fudge, paid for everything and made his escape.

Outside, he took a deep breath of the crisp air. Harry wandered a little more to see what other shops the village had.

“Well, what do you know, it's Potter. Didn't recognize you at first, Potter, without your little sidekick. She didn't want to be seen in public with you? Maybe she has more common sense than I thought.”

“Shut up, Malfoy.”

“Oh, that's right, she's only a second year. Too bad, Potter.”
Harry's temper tried to get him to strike back but he knew better. Draco and his goons laughed. The blonde looked Harry up and down.

“You're pathetic, Potter.”

The Slytherin trio laughed again and shoved by Harry. Harry continued his walk. On down he found a very busy Zonkos Joke Shop. Not wanting to experience another hectic shop, he stayed away. Hogsmede boasted a clothing shop, herbology shop, music shop, bookstore, a quill store, cauldron shop and, surprisingly enough, a greengrocer and the headquarters to the Wizarding Wireless Network. There were a few shops down side streets but he had no interest in seeing what they were. Figuring he'd seen enough of Hogsmede, he headed back the way he'd come. With the sack dangling from his wrist, he stuffed his hands deep into his pockets. He was missing Ginny's infectious laughter.

He missed his parents, too. The pain of not knowing them was always stronger on the anniversary of their deaths. Usually he and Remus took a little time to visit the graves in Godric's Hollow but Harry doubted they'd go this year. And if they didn't, it would be the first time in a long time that they missed it.

“Harry, mate, you look like a--”

“--little lost puppy.”

Harry looked up and realized he'd reached Zonkos and the twins had just exited the shop. If he'd been happier, he'd have thought their comment quite funny seeing as they had no clue how accurate it was. He did feel lost when Ginny wasn't around. How in Merlin's name did she ever come to mean so much to him so quickly? He pushed the thought away and tried to smile.

“Hey. How are you two?”

“We're fine but you--”

“--obviously are not.”

Harry merely shrugged. Fred came over and draped an arm across Harry's shoulders. George also came over.

“Heading back so soon?”

“But, of course, Gred. Little Gin-Gin couldn't come out to play.” Fred waggled his eyebrows.

“Ah, quite right, Forge.”

Harry's entire face burned. He wanted to deny it was anything like how they were thinking but was afraid saying anything would just egg them on. Besides, the twins were alright. They hadn't kept their distance, didn't let his less than stellar attitude bother them. A lot like Ginny, in fact. Or maybe she was a lot like them. Either way, Harry liked the twins and could endure a little teasing from them.

“We're just taking the mickey a little, Harry,” Fred said after a few moments of silence.

“Right, Harry. We know you and Ginny are good friends again. Have to tell you, though, if you hadn't made up, we'd have been forced to do something ourselves.”

“So how did you do it? Usually when Ginny's mad, she holds a terrible grudge.”

“I confessed one of my secrets to her,” Harry quipped.

“Secrets?” Fred perked up.

“And what might that be, oh scrawny Gryffindor Seeker?”

Harry made a big deal of checking for eavesdroppers then pulled the two down a side street. Not a single person walked along the street so Harry felt safe enough. He thought about telling them the truth, knowing they wouldn't take him seriously, but if they said anything and the wrong person overheard, it could be a disaster. So instead he made something up.

“So what's the secret?”

With as straight a face he could manage, he said, “I told her that at every fourth new moon I become a merman and have to spend the night in water or I'll die.”

The twins stared blankly at Harry a moment before busting out laughing. Fred patted Harry on the back.

“Good one, there, Harry.”

“Didn't know you had it in you,” George said, mussing Harry's hair.

“Alright, Harry, keep your secrets. Just glad you and Ginny are speaking to each other again.”

“Believe me, I am too. She's the only real friend I've ever had. See you, guys.”

Harry hurried off, turned the corner and disappeared. Fred looked over to George, all joviality gone.

“That's just sad.”

“Yes, it is. Who'd have thought, right?”

“Right. He looked so down. Like you said, a little lost puppy.”

“Brother mine, I think it can be arranged so Harry wouldn't have to be a little lost puppy the next time.”

“Dear brother, I like how you think. We really don't need it anymore, at any rate.”

“What do you think?” Fred asked after they had turned onto the village's main street. “Do you think Ginny may just have a little crush on her friend?”

George grinned. “I'd say it was likely.”

“Now, here's the bigger question. Do you think Harry feels anything besides friendship for little Gin-Gin?”

George shrugged. “Maybe. The way he looked when he said he was glad they were friends again–I kind of wonder. It could just be gratitude, but it seemed there might be something there whether he knew it or not. I have to say I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if he did start to like her.”

“I agree. He's loosened up a lot.”

“Uh-huh. That's our Gin-Gin. Able to poke her way through any carefully constructed walls.”

“Maybe some observation of our little lost puppy is in order. Can't make a move without knowing for sure what the move should be.”

“Naturally.”

0000000000


Harry caught up to Ginny in the common room. Tipping the sack upside down, he let the sweets rain down in front of her.

“Harry!” Ginny jumped in surprise. She'd had her back to the portrait entrance so had no idea he'd come in. “Back already? What's all this?”

“I was bored so I came back.”

Harry separated two chocolate frogs, one bar of Honeydukes chocolate, a sugar quill and the treacle fudge from the pile and scooted the rest towards Ginny. Her eyes widened at the small stack of sweets.

“Harry, I only asked for a chocolate frog or a sugar quill.”

“I know but I wanted to get you more. You deserve it.” She narrowed her eyes and opened her mouth to speak but Harry cut her off. “I used your money to pay for what you asked for. The rest I bought.”

“You don't have to spend your money on me, Harry.”

“I know.” Harry gave her a shrug. “If you don't want the extra stuff, just hand it back.”

“Not a chance, Potter,” Ginny shot back, gathering the sweets closer to her. “You know I have a weakness for chocolate.”

Harry grinned. “I know.”

“That's so unfair, you know, to use my weakness against me.”

Ginny turned big puppy eyes on Harry then ruined it by laughing. Her laughter made him feel as if his stomach was being tickled–from the inside.

“All's fair in–” He blushed and ducked his head, nervously toying with one of his sweets. “Anyway, er, just take it.” He scrounged around for a change in subject. “Let's go see Professor Lupin. He said something about getting a new creature in for us. Well, not for you. I mean, it's only for third years.” Inwardly, Harry cringed at his prattling. “So, you want to go?”

Ginny knew exactly what he'd been about to say. She'd heard both her parents use the phrase before. It made her giddy inside to think that Harry just might be starting to like her. His awkwardness was so endearing. She grinned and took pity on him.

“Sure. Let me put this away first.”

While she was gone, Harry gave himself a mental slap. What was wrong with him? Why that choice of words? Why had he gotten so flustered? He was only talking to Ginny, for Merlin's sake. Ginny's his best friend. And, seriously, what was up with that little odd feeling? He looked up just as Ginny came back into the common room, smiling. An answering grin spread across his face. Feeling comfortable again, he met her at the portrait hole.

On their way down, once they were alone enough to have a private conversation, Ginny broke the silence.

“It must be weird having to call him Professor.”

Harry nodded. “I've almost slipped up a few times. Thankfully, his lesson of thinking before I speak has saved me.” He muttered, “Or it usually has.”

Again he felt the heat in his face and refused to meet her gaze. He relaxed when she said no more about what he'd almost said in the common room.

“If either of my oldest brothers came to teach while I was here, I don't think I could ever call them Professor.”

“Exactly how many brothers do you have?”

“I have six.”

Harry's brows shot up and he whistled. “Wow.”

“Yeah. I love each one of them but they can seriously annoy me, especially when I was little. My two oldest brothers, Bill and Charlie, still sometimes treat me as if I was five.”

“That's unfair.”

Ginny nodded. “Tell me about it. Still, if I needed them, I know they'd be there for me.”

“That's good. That's the way it should be.”

Ginny continued speaking of her brothers, telling favorite stories that involved them. That took them all the way to Remus' office door. Harry knocked, opened the door enough to poke his head in.

“Hi.” he called to his uncle.

“Harry?” Remus turned toward the door. “Come on in.”

Harry entered the room, Ginny behind him. The two joined Remus in one of the corners of the office where a fairly good-sized tank stood filled with somewhat murky water and some kind of water grass that undulated with every pass the creature made.

“What is that thing?” Harry looked at the green, sharp toothed, horned, spindly fingered creature with distaste.

“That, Harry, is a grindylow.”

“Where did you get it?” Ginny asked, apparently agreeing with Harry's opinion.

“This is actually a local specimen. It came from the Black Lake.”

Ginny turned rounded eyes on her professor. “The Black Lake? Those things are in the Black Lake?”

Remus chuckled. “Yes, but not anywhere close to shore so you need not worry.”

“If you say so.”

Harry turned away from the hideous thing swimming around and around and wandered the office. Remus, too, turned from the tank, knowing Harry was thinking about their normal activities this day every year.

“Harry, are you up for a little trip?”

Harry whirled back around. Were they actually going to get to...? “Can we?”

“I've got it all arranged with Albus. He wasn't keen on letting you go, but I convinced him. We'll go after lunch.”

Weak with relief, Harry nodded his acceptance. He had been afraid they'd be forced to miss their trip to Godric's Hollow this year. He enjoyed going to his parents' graves to “talk” to them, to tell them everything that happened to him in the past year. Morbid? Perhaps, but Harry didn't care. It was one of the few things that made him feel close to them, at least for awhile. He always looked forward to going and had an extremely hard time leaving afterward.

“Miss Weasley, would you care to join us?”

“What?”

“Ginny can come, too?”

Remus gave an affirmative nod. “It took a little more convincing, but I managed. It's up to her.” Remus turned to one confused Weasley. “Every year, on this day, I take Harry to visit his parents' graves. We stay for a bit, have supper out somewhere, then go home. Would you like to join us?”

“Oh.” Ginny didn't know what to say. Did they want her to go or were they just being polite? “Well, I don't want to intrude on anything personal.”

“You wouldn't be.” Remus watched Harry wander over to one of the windows. He said softly to Ginny, “Harry could really use a friend's support. When it's time to leave the cemetery, he has a hard time letting go of them again. Sometimes I wonder if I should even take him there each year.”

“Of course I'll go. I'm honored. And Professor, I don't think it's a bad thing to take him.”

Remus smiled. “Thank you for that. I knew I could count on you to help him.”

Half an hour later, Sirius joined them. Remus closed the door and put up anti-eavesdropping wards.

“Sirius!” Harry greeted his godfather enthusiastically. “How did you get inside the castle?”

Sirius shrugged. “They still have the main doors wide open. I just walked in–as Padfoot, of course.”

The light in Harry's eyes dimmed slightly. “I wish you didn't have to hide. You didn't do anything wrong.”

“I know, kiddo, I wish I didn't have to, either, but until I find Peter, I'll always be viewed as the one responsible for your parents' deaths.”

“Well, so what? What does it matter what they think?”

“I need my status as the last remaining Black restored. In order to have that done, I need to find Peter.”

“What does your status matter?”

“Because, Harry, even though Remus has raised you, I am your godfather and if anything were to ever happen to him, I want to be able to step in and take care of you. I can't do that if my status isn't restored.”

“But why hide?”

Sirius looked over to Harry's seemingly constant companion and smiled. “Because Peter's animagus form is a rat and I don't want to tip him off that I'm around before I find him.”

Her eyes grew wide. “Is he here?”

“I'm not saying that. I'm just speaking in general.”

“Oh.”

The four chatted until lunchtime. Remus, Harry and Ginny stepped into the Great Hall while Sirius went in the opposite direction. To Harry, it looked weird to see the Hall so empty this time of day. Since their table was mostly empty, he and Ginny picked a spot where both could easily reach their favorite foods. Neither talked much; neither felt the need to fill the silence. Thirty minutes later they were meeting Remus at the main gate.

“How are we getting there?”

“By specially sanctioned Portkey so we have to leave the castle grounds before we can activate it.”

“Sirius isn't coming?” Ginny asked softly.

“No, he decided with that other threat still lurking around, he'd best stay behind.”

“Well, surely Professor Dumbledore can handle it.”

“Yes, but Sirius could give Dumbledore time to react. He'd be an early warning system, if you will.”

Harry grew scornful. “Probably doesn't want to face them. Too much of a coward.”

“Harry,” Remus said firmly, “Sirius may be a lot of things but he's no coward. This day isn't any easier for him than it is for you. We all grieve in our own ways. Don't judge him by what you would or wouldn't do.”

Harry hung his head, properly chastised. “You're right. I didn't mean it. Do you think he's ever been to their graves?”

Remus cupped the back of Harry's head and pulled him into a quick hug. “I don't know if he has or not. For some, doing so is just more than they can handle.”

Harry nodded and the three of them stepped outside the wards, touched the quill portkey and disappeared.













Reviews 272
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear