Search:

SIYE Time:6:49 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Department of Mysteries
By Reducto44

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 17
Summary: How would the series be different if Harry would just a little bit more like his father and a certain department decided to step in. See how Harry and Ginny are trained by the mysterious Unspeakables and see what difference that would make in not only the war, but in their lives at Hogwarts and their friends. Note: the DOM is independent of the ministry in this story.

Hitcount: Story Total: 3464



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is an idea I pulled together. Thanks to my sister for being my Beta




ChapterPrinter


Dudley quickly marched back to the playground intent on bullying someone else leaving Harry alone for the next twenty or so minutes until recess was over. Harry turned around to relax when he came face to face with a man in black cloak. For some reason he couldn't see anything that was under his hood, it was like there was a hazy screen from the edge of the hood down that blocked his sight of the face. He could practically sense the power coming from the man and he could somehow tell that the man had great wisdom.

"Who are you?" Harry said backing up and preparing to run but an invisible wall stopped his progress and prevented him from moving back; and as he turned his head he saw that he couldn't see anything behind him except the trees. Fear coursed from his veins but he started back at the man defiantly.

"We have been watching you." The man suddenly ended the stare down.

"I know I have been seeing you every so often" Harry replied to the man’s comment, it hadn't been hard for him to spot them.

"You are very observant, but I don't think you were seeing us with your eyes," The man responded.

"How else could I see you?" Harry responded curiously.

"That is one of many things we have to teach you." The man's response was cryptic. A scroll suddenly appeared in his hand and he held out the parchment to him. Harry took the offered paper and opened it and read:

Dear Mr. Potter

On behalf of the International Department of Mysteries, I express my deepest sorrows at the treatment that has befallen you at your current residence. I am extremely disappointed that the honorable Professor Albus Dumbledore had insisted that you live with your relatives and that we were unable to do anything, but we are now in the position to change some things.

you have always been on the watch list of our recruitment committee because of the great talent that your parents had and the mysteries of your story. If you will accept, we would be honored for you to join our department as one of the youngest Unspeakables in history. There are further details and reasons for you recruitment, and will be discussed if and when you should accept.

We will send an agent tonight after your relatives go to sleep when no one will notice your absence. If you are willing he will take you to headquarters to discuss matters. This is of the up most importance and must not be disclosed to anyone.

We await your decision,

The Department of Mysteries

"What does all this mean?" Harry asked the man only to find that he was gone and only sign that the man was there was the note that he left.

The bell finally rang to end recess causing Dudley and his gang to quickly walk back inside. He followed the rest of his classmates into the classroom and sat down at his desk to prepare for 5th grade English.

"Hey Potter" His cousin said behind him, "I guess being small comes in handy, I didn’t even see you out there."

"Maybe you just need glasses too." Harry replied before burying his head in his book. He knew his cousin was getting ready to march over and rip the book from his hands but he had timed this well.

"Sit down Mr. Dursley." The teacher said as she walked into the room. "Unless you want to spend recess tomorrow cleaning the erasers." Harry watched in amusement as he cousin sat back down at his desk.

Class seem to go by a lot slower now that he was anxious to see what this department thing was about. He didn't know what half the stuff on the letter meant, but it sounded exciting. He automatically answered any questions that the teachers asked without really having to think.

After what seemed like an eternity, the bell finally rang. He picked up his bag and walked out of the room to go home.


That night his Aunt and Uncle were discussing something and something told him to listen in.

"He should get the letter this year" He heard his aunt say. 'Were they talking about the letter he got today?

"Nothing to worry about Petunia." His uncle sounded confident "There is no way those abnormal people can take him, we won't allow it."

"But what if they try?" Petunia said, "What if the neighbors saw them?"

"If they try anything they'll regret it."

"But can't they just use magic to escape?"

"Then they'll be a fugitive in England. Your sister was never the same after she went to that school and even worse after she got involved with that dumb department, the least we can do for the boy is to set him straight."

Harry moved away from the door as footsteps moved past So there was more to this than just that department, there was a school his parents went to it. He doubted his parents met at somewhere where Petunia was be involved, and the letter did say his dad was a part of it. Hopefully he would get his answers tonight.

For the next hour he thought of questions he wanted to ask whoever came. He finally heard his uncle's snore completing the three-part harmony and unlatched the cupboard, slipped out with a practiced ease and slithered into the family room. He sat down on the couch bringing the letter to make sure it was still there. As he relaxed, he heard a distant popping sound. It was far away and sounded like it was muffled. He dove behind the couch and cautiously looked at the door.

Outside of the window, he saw a brief flash of black before the object moved out of his sights. He relaxed a little recognizing the shape but stayed put.

"It is always good to be on alert my friend." A voice came from behind him. Before he could blink Harry snapped out his leg and struck the man. The man collapsed to the ground and Harry, letting his muscles and adrenaline take over, pounced on the man keeping him on the ground.

"Good job young one, it takes talent to be able to tackle an unspeakable." The man suddenly disappeared, reappearing right behind him. "But it is easier if it is an illusion."

"Who are you?" Harry was frightened, but he kept it on the inside "How did you do that?"

"I am Unspeakable Silver co-head of the recruitment services, and training the young recruits, but you can just call me Silver. It’s a great pleasure to meet you Harry Potter, many wizards would kill for the honor as to how I did it I used magic of course, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

"What do you mean magic?" Harry cried out suddenly thinking the man was crazy.

"That is a very excellent question Harry and remember, no matter what your relatives say, it is always best to ask if you have questions.” Silver seemed like a jolly man to Harry. He also seemed to have a habit of carrying on, not that he minded right now. The man bent down and he saw the same veil under the hood. "Have you ever made anything happen, anything at all, that you didn't understand. Did you ever do anything impossible when you were sacred, frightened, or angry? Have you ever been able to do something, like that kick, and tackle, that seemed natural, but you had no idea where it came from?"

"Yeah" Harry replied starting to drop his guard. Maybe he would finally get some answers to the questions in his life.

"You're a wizard Harry," Silver put a hand on his shoulder, "Like you mother and father before you."

Even more questions swarmed through his head. Part of his brain told him this was impossible, there was another explanation, but an even stronger part of his brain told him that this was logical, it felt like something he had known yet not known his whole life. There were so many questions rushing through his head he didn't know what to ask first.

"You knew my parents?" Harry was desperate for some real information on them.

"Aye, I did." Harry began to get excited. "She was my partner in the department before she died."

Finally someone who knows about them "What happened to them?"

"I wish I wasn't the one who had to tell you this, but you have a right to know. Dumbledore doesn't plan to tell you this for a few more years, but you deserve to know with every single magical child knows.

"Why would every magical kid know my story?" Harry interrupted.

"Because you are famous in our world."

"Famous, there is no way I could be famous, I'm just Harry." He objected.

"Haven't you ever wondered how you got your scare?" Silver asked.

"Do you know?" Harry responded. "I know most of it." Silver sat on the chair, motioning Harry to sit on the couch. "About twenty years ago, a wizard rose up, his name was Voldemort, though most people in our world don't say it they have silly pseudos that they use instead, he rose up to power and went as bad as it was possible to go. He went deep into the dark arts, and while it is go to know a bit of the dark arts, contrary to popular belief, he went farther than most do. Voldemort believed that the Pureblood's were the only ones who were fit to learn magic, and he created a reign of terror. He was killing people left and right. He began amassing followers, and it became a dark time, you didn't know who to trust in those days, sadly one of our own actually joined him."

Silver took a deep breath and Harry recognized the signs of anger. "They were incredibly dark times, no one ever lived once he had decided to kill them. Hundreds died, the effects still felt today." Silver turned to fully face Harry. "That is except for you."

"Me" He cried in shock "Why me?"

"A few months before you were born, a prophecy was delivered to the Department of Mysteries, and it brought great hope to all of us."

"Why" He was really getting into the story.

"Because in the prophecy it stated that a boy was about to be born that would have the power to defeat the Dark Lord. Unfortunately one of Voldemort's followers heard half of the prophecy and delivered it to his master. He found out who it was and went to kill him and his family to stop the prophecy from happening."

"Who was it?" Harry asked suddenly feeling a great weight in the air.

"You" The simple word came out of the man's mouth but Harry couldn't believe them. What was so special about him, he was just Harry, small, speckled, abuse, lonely Harry.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches." Silver began. "Born unto those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies, and the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal but he shall have power the Dark Lord does not. And either must die at the hands of another for neither can live while the other survives. The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches as the seventh month dies."

"That was the prophecy made about you, at the time, it could have applied to another, but Voldemort chose you and marked you, making you the only one who could defeat him."

"What happened to him?" Harry felt there was a part of him that knew this was true, and he was starting to believe that part more and more lately.

"On Halloween night about ten years ago, Voldemort appeared in Godric's Hallow. Your parent's had a special charm on the house to keep him away, but their secret keeper gave them up."

"Who gave them up?" Harry growled angry that anyone could betray his parent's trust like that.

"Most believe that it was Sirius Black, but Lily told us they chose Peter Pettigrew because no one would expect it."

"What happened to Peter?" Harry asked.

"He is believed to be dead and Sirius went to Azkaban for killing him, nearby muggles, and for supporting Death Eaters. He was also in the department and it was a big loss for us, but there was nothing we could do and there is nothing we can do until we somehow find proof of his innocence."

"Back to the story. He broke open the house and your mother rushed you upstairs. Your father was an auror or magic police man, and he held him back, he was one of the few he lasted against Voldemort for more than a few seconds, he duel with him for five minutes giving your mother time to protect you. After he defeated your father he killed him and made his way upstairs. Quickly breaking through your mother's protections and made his way into you room. Lily stood in front of you be refusing to move and then he killed her too. He then turned his wand on you and cast the killing curse and it rebounded. It hit him instead and he hasn't been seen since."

"Why couldn't he kill me?" Harry asked shaken up inside.

"My best guess is that when your mum died, she left a mark on you, not a physical mark, but a mark that protected you, and still protects you. That is why Dumbledore put you here, because he used that protection to make a blood ward around Privet Drive. As long as you and your aunt call this place home, no one meaning you harm can enter the property."

"You are very talented despite what your aunt and uncle led you to believe, you parents were top of their classes and they passed down that talent to you. That is why you have been chosen to join the Department of Mysteries. It is where we gather the best wizards from all over the world and train them. We research all about magic and give them extensive training. Dumbledore has plans for you, and while he means well, he often forgets the smaller things. He has no interest in you, but what you can do for him. We have guessed what would happen if we allowed him to be in control of the war and we don't like what we can see happening. Death and destruction and while it may turn out right in the end, the bad things don't need to happen."

"So you want to help me, give me training, give me every chance I have to protect everyone."

"Exactly, we want to give you what you need to succeed and not just settle for victory but truly enjoy it with your friends and comrades at your side. What do ya say kid, interest?"

"Definitely" Harry did not once doubt this decision. He was never surer of almost anything in his life. He reached out his hand to shake on it. The unspeakable gripped his hand and shook, and then both figures disappeared from the room leaving the house in silence except for the loud snores coming from above.


Nine-year-old Ginny Weasley sat down next to the big tree near the pond as her mother called out "Come help me with the laundry" She rolled her eyes as she forced herself to get up.

It was a few hours later that her mother finally let her go. She had to take down the laundry, put everything away, clean the bathroom, and tidy up her room. All the while Ron was sitting around reading a quidditch magazine. She couldn't wait until she went to Hogwarts and she didn't have to do all these chores.

When she went into her room and closed the door she prepared to relax for a few hours before she had to help with dinner. Standing in the middle of her room, was a man in a pure black cloak with a face concealing charm on it. She saw him move his wand in a complicated pattern and knew no one outside could hear or see anything going in her room. She started to prepare an escape plan when the figure began to laugh.

"There is no need for that young one." A soft feminine rang out. Ginny was startled that her first assessment of the woman was totally off, and then she suddenly recognized who was standing in front of her. She remembered seeing a pair walking through the Atrium in these same cloaks and remembered her dad telling her they were Unspeakables, the best of the best.

"We come baring an invitation for you." The woman said holding out a scroll. "I'm being invited to join?" Ginny squealed excitedly. The woman only pointed at the scroll. Quickly, she broke the seal and unraveled the parchment.

Dear Miss Ginevra Molly Weasley

On behalf of the International Department of Mysteries, we are pleased to inform you of your selection to be inducted into our ranks.

We know of your desire to do something with your life. How you don't want to be a simple housewife. You want to make a name for yourself, and to have some fun. We can guarantee anything with how wild the future can be, be we will give you every opportunity to make you dreams come true.

If you accept, Unspeakable Gold will bring you to the department tonight once your family has gone to sleep.

We await you decision

The Department of Mysteries

Ginny looked up with excitement only to see her empty room, she sighed in disappointment, but the letter said she would be back tonight. Her thoughts filled with questions. What she would learn? What she would now be able to accomplish? Who would her partner be? How will this work with her not even starting Hogwarts? Will they give her special training, would she still be allowed to go to Hogwarts?

"Hey what's that?" A voice came from behind her. She spun around to see a hand reaching for the letter on the bed.

"None of your business!" She shrieked grabbing the scroll before Ron could grab it.

"Come on let me see!" He cried reaching for the letter. Ginny moved out of his reach and rolled it up making sure he couldn't see any of the writing. She quickly tried to think of a way out of this. She quickly threw the letter into a drawer in her desk and slammed the door shut causing the lock to click.

"It personal stuff." Ginny told her brother

"Let me see or I'll time mum," Ron cried.

"Its none of your business." She shot back.

"Why don't you want me to see it?" He whined

"Because you're too old to see it." She changed one of his favorite phrases and used it against him.

"How can you be too old for something?" Ron asked confused. She rolled her eyes and began shoving him out of her room.

"The same way I can be too young for Quidditch even though you have played since you were four."


A Few Hours Later

The sky grew dark and everyone was asleep when a figure suddenly appeared in the second floor bedroom. The figure briefly laughed before she shook the girl in the bed awake. The girl yelped and launched into the air and onto the women pulling her down.

"Good reflexes, but they aren't necessary."

"Am really being recruited?" Ginny asked getting excited

"Yes." The unspeakable required with a laugh in her voice "Are you willing?"

"Absolutely." Ginny said bouncing in excitement. "But I don't know anything about magic. Mum says I don't need to learn until Hogwarts."

"While I may not agree with that philosophy it won't matter, we will teach you anything you need to know and don't worry, you will still be going to Hogwarts, that will be explained as well."

"How did you-" Ginny began but was interrupted.

"That is among the many things we have to teach you." She said holding out her hand. Ginny knew what she wanted and grabbed her hand. Both disappeared from the room.

Reviews 17
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear