Search:

SIYE Time:13:48 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


After
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Asylum Challenge (2013-3), Asylum Challenge (2013-3)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, All, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 105
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall, Best Drama and the People’s Choice Award in the Asylum Challenge ***
*Nominated for 2014 April/May and November/December DSTA for Best Romance and Best Drama* *Nominated for 2016 January/February DSTA for Best Drama and Best Completed*

Ginny's plans for the weekend were just perfect: a day out in Hogsmeade with her girlfriends. Spend the morning window shopping and wishing, then lunch at the Three Broomsticks, and then to the local theater for a production of the Scottish Play (Macbeth).


Unfortunately, the bad luck of the Scottish Play strikes before it even starts. The village is invaded by Death Eaters, Dementors, and a man she had hoped to never see again in her life.


And in the middle of the battle, Ginny sees something she'd never thought she'd see. Voldemort and one of her greatest friends dueling; Harry Potter and Voldemort fighting so fiercely, she lost focus on her own battle. Harry Potter, crying out, falling, and hitting the ground. Dead.

And then, someone she never expected to help her saves her from Voldemort’s wrath.
Hitcount: Story Total: 167868; Chapter Total: 5080







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Nineteen

Rising Storm


I pushed myself gingerly off the ground. I raised my wand in the air, casting a pool of light over the dank and dusty ground. I did not recognize this room. I raised my wand high in the air, and my light fell on a large square stone, taking up most of the room. I stepped forward, and prodded the stone with my wand. It did nothing. I didn't want to assume it wasn't dangerous, even if it looked harmless.

“Specialis Revelio,” I said, waving my wand over the stone area. The dust stirred, but otherwise nothing happened. I furrowed my brow. I poked it with one finger.

Out of the corner of my eye, I picked up a glimmer of light. I turned, wand raised to defend myself.

The glimmer turned into a transparent figure. A ghost. The figure's lines were blurred, but I could tell it was a woman. Another glimmer appeared next to her, clearing up more quickly than she had. A man this time, with a kind, old face, graying hair, and a brilliant smile. The woman next to him face cleared, to show large eyes, prominent cheekbones, and a smaller, but more impressed smile.

“You did well,” said the man.

“Better than I expected you to do,” said the woman. Her voice was brash and condescending. I recognized it.

“You're the person who tested me,” I said. She nodded.

“I fully expected you to fail,” she said. “But perhaps the Lord of Death was right; your bond might very well be stronger than mine.”

“Yours?”

She nodded again. “Can you piece it together now?”

I frowned. Her bond, what had the Lord of Death said? “I doubt even Gryffindor and Cyfareddyc were as strong as this one.” I stood in Gryffindor's tomb. I glanced at the wide stone beside me.

“You're Airis,” I said. “Airis Cy- Cyfar-”

“Cyfareddyc,” she corrected, her smile twitching towards a scowl.

“Then you're Godric Gryffindor,” I said, turning to the man.

“I am,” he said, giving me a small bow. “I knew you would succeed,” he added, straightening. “My wife, though, has always been, ah, what is the word? Pessimistic.”

She shrugged. “Better than being optimistic. Good grief, can you imagine how annoying that would be?”

Gryffindor smiled at her. “You could never annoy me, my love.”

Airis smiled brilliantly at him. I suddenly felt like I was intruding on a private moment. Gryffindor took her hand, still beaming at her. I wondered how my cranky and insulting instructor could have a sweet side.

I cleared my throat. The two ghosts turned back to me. Airis looked cross, Gryffindor had his eyebrows raised.

“Was there something you wanted to tell me?” I asked. “Anything?”

“Yes, there was,” Gryffindor said. “What was it?” he muttered, more to himself than to me or Airis.

“About the demon?” Airis said, looking at him.

“Oh, yes, that was it!” Gryffindor said, letting out a little laugh. “Funny how death can make you forgetful.”

“You were forgetful before you died, sweetheart,” Airis said.

“Oh yeah,” Gryffindor muttered. I fought the urge to laugh at his befuddled expression.

Airis rolled her eyes at him, and turned to me. “What my husband wished to tell you is that the demon is growing stronger.”

“I knew that.”

“Yes, but did you know that he grows stronger in our castle's glorified basement?”

“What?”

“There is a portal,” Gryffindor said, “created by Salazar Slytherin in a hidden chamber beneath the school.”

My blood chilled. “The Chamber of Secrets?”

Gryffindor blinked at me. “Yes, how did you know?”

“I was possessed by one of Voldemort's Horcruxes and forced to open the Chamber four years ago,” I said.

“Oh, did Salazar's idea of Horcruxes make it into your time?” Airis asked innocently.

“Yes,” I said.

“How did you survive?” Gryffindor asked, a look of concern and interest on his face.

“I fought him for as long as I could,” I said, “and when I couldn't anymore, Harry saved me.”

“Yes, I see what the Lord of Death meant,” Gryffindor said. “They are stronger than us.”

Airis huffed. “We'll see,” she said noncommittally. “Back to our point: Salazar created the Chamber as a workspace for his dark experiments. One of them was Horcruxes. He used Godric, Helga, and Rowena's work on connecting to the Realms to create a portal. The demon he connected to has been imprisoned since the beginning of time, and he tricked Salazar into allowing the portal to be open all the time. It wasn't enough to release him, but it was enough to let his essence out of the prison, and to corrupt Salazar.”

“It drove him mad,” Gryffindor said. “The demon's influence was too much on his mind. Salazar succeeded in creating a Horcrux, but not long after he snapped. I- I'm afraid he became a danger to everyone around him, including himself. I saw no way to heal his mind, and the only way to end his suffering was to- to put him out of his misery.”

“You killed him?” I asked. Gryffindor nodded.

“I created a spell, one that would kill him quickly and without pain. But I could not close the portal. I did my best, and I managed to seal the chamber containing it, and I strengthened the wards surrounding Salazar's chamber tenfold. I left a creature to guard the Chamber, along with the beast Salazar hatched in his madness.”

“The Basilisk,” I said. Gryffindor looked confused again.

“Salazar didn't hatch the Basilisk,” he said. “I did.”

Unlike what had happened when Lily showed up, I was startled. “What?”

“The Basilisk has an aura that suppresses the power of portals,” Gryffindor said. “I released one into the Chamber so it would guard the portal and keep it weak. Salazar created a different monster.”

If I had been worried before, it was nothing to what I felt now. “The Basilisk is dead,” I said. “Harry killed it four years ago. We thought it was Slytherin’s monster, and it seemed happy to petrify all the Muggleborns in the school.”

“It was never to leave the Chamber,” Gryffindor said. “I raised the beast, and I left it orders to guard the portal no matter what.”

“Voldemort opened the chamber about fifty years ago,” I said. “He used the Basilisk to kill a Muggleborn girl.”

Gryffindor looked shocked. “I trained him,” he said. “I trained that snake to never leave the Chamber.”

“Maybe the demon's essence corrupted the snake like it corrupted Salazar,” Airis suggested lightly, resting a hand on Gryffindor's arm. He nodded his transparent head vaguely.

“Yes, that must be what happened,” he mumbled. “Yes.”

“What was really Slytherin’s monster?” I asked, dreading the answer.

Gryffindor turned to me with a sad sorry look I his eyes. “A monster from the depths of the Untamed Realms. A beast so terrifying, it shames even my Basilisk.”

Airis rolled her eyes, but stayed silent. I guesses she was only letting him be dramatic because he was her husband.

“What is it though?” I asked. I half-wished Airis would just interrupt and throw the truth at me. I'd rather have the answer thrown like a knife than handed to me on a silver platter like a time bomb.

Gryffindor let out a slow breath. “A demon by the name of Echidna.”

The name sparked a memory in my head. “Wasn't she a Greek legend or something?”

Airis nodded. “The Greeks believed Echidna to be the mother of all monsters. In their legends, she was a woman with a snake's body for legs.”

“What's the truth?”

“She is a snake with a woman's upper body for a head.”

“What's the difference?”

“The difference is,” Gryffindor said, his voice grave, “that she is a demon with tremendous power. The Echidna in the legends was more of a bad-tempered child. I only ever caught a glimpse of her, but even that glimpse caused night terrors until my death, and even now I shudder at the thought of her.

“Echidna is terrible in the myths,” he continued. “She is worse by a hundredfold, unspeakable horrifying in truth.”

I gulped. “Do I have to destroy her or something?”

Airis shrugged her shoulders. “You should only be wary of her. She could have returned to the Untamed Realms by now, but I doubt it. It's more likely she will want to help the demon to escape his prison.”

“Why didn't you destroy her?” I asked.

Gryffindor sighed. “I was afraid,” he admitted. “Echidna is the most terrible demon I have ever met besides the demon locked away, and I knew I could not defeat her. I would die trying.”

I bit my lip. Gryffindor was supposed to fear nothing. If this demon scared him, I was screwed.

“But she might be gone,” Gryffindor said hastily. “Or weakened. We cannot be sure of anything at this point.”

I nodded. “So my 'To Do' list has expanded from bringing Harry back from the dead to defeating a demon so scary no wants to say his name, not even him, to possibly having to fight the mother of all monsters to defeat said unnamed demon.”

“Have fun,” Airis said.

I scowled. “Is there anything else I should know?”

“The spell you have to use,” Gryffindor said, pointing to the book in my hand, will be at the very end. The title of it is 'Rising Fire.'”

“Rising Fire? Do you mean the returning spell?”

“Yes, the name probably isn't in English, so you should see Returning Spell near the title. I named it Rising Fire because the spell, when performed, looks as though creating a fire storm.”

“Okay.” Again, I had run out of things to be surprised at.

“You will no longer need the stained glass. Leave it here,” Airis said. I nodded, and set the glass onto the stone, which, I now realized must have been the actual tomb part of the tomb, where Gryffindor and Airis's bodies rested.

Gryffindor reached out a hand to touch my arm, but it passed right through me, leaving me shivering.

“Sorry,” he said. “I forgot I couldn't touch you. I'm not usually this forgetful,” he added, looking worried. Airis smiled, and patted his shoulder.

“Yes you are,” she said without looking at him.

“No I'm not!”

I rubbed my arm where he had touched it, trying to calm the goosebumps. “I'm inclined to believe Airis,” I said.

And Airis smiled at me. “You know, I'm starting to like you,” she said.

Gryffindor looked affronted. “It took me three years for her to even talk nicely to me,” he grumbled.

“Oh, but that was because I loved you,” Airis said, laughing. “From the very moment I saw you.”

Gryffindor seemed to brighten. He leaned down- he had to because he was half a foot taller than her- and kissed her. I held a hand over my eyes. I wasn't interested in watching them snog.

“You can look now,” Airis called. I dropped my hand.

“Was there anything else you wanted to tell me?” I asked.

Gryffindor frowned, and scratched his chin. Airis seemed to force her face into an innocent expression.

“There was something,” he mumbled. “What was it?”

“Could it have anything to do with Malfoy?” Airis asked simply.

“Yes that was it!” Gryffindor said, snapping his fingers. Airis rolled her eyes.

“What about Malfoy?” I asked.

“You should ask him how exactly Tom Riddle found his way out of Rowena's diadem,” Gryffindor said.

Airis sniffed in annoyance. “I still can't believe Helena stole her diadem,” she said in a soft voice. “Let alone give it away!”

“We were all disappointed,” Gryffindor said.

Airis shook her head sadly.

“Wait, what?” I said.

“My niece stole Rowena's diadem in a fit of jealousy,” Airis said. “And then later she told Tom Riddle where to find it and he befouled it by turning it into a Horcrux.”

“Niece? Diadem?”

“Rowena had a diadem that filtered all distractions from the mind,” Gryffindor said. “And Airis is Rowena's half sister.”

“Right,” I said. “Oh, and let me guess, Helena was Slytherin's half sister!”

“No,” Gryffindor said, smiling slightly. “Salazar was her uncle.”

“Of course. What else do I need to know about your strange family?” I said.

“Helena was engaged to marry Baron Malfoy,” Airis said, “but she ran off with the diadem before they were married. They haunt Hogwarts now, as the Baron killed Helena when she refused him, and then killed himself when he realized what he had done.”

“The Bloody Baron and The Gray Lady?” I said.

“That would be them,” Airis said.

“We're getting off track,” Gryffindor said, “I would love to explain to you the whole story, but we do not have time right now. You must leave our tomb quickly, have Lucius Malfoy explain what he did, and why. You will understand later, but you must trust him,” Gryffindor said.

“Why?”

“He has the answers,” Gryffindor assure her. “You will understand later.”

“Recap,” Airis said, “Slytherin created Horcruxes, and a portal in the Chamber. He summoned Echidna and she prowls the Chamber now. Godric sealed the Chamber and placed the Basilisk in it to sap the strength of the portal, not Salazar. The Rising Fire spell is in the very back of the Book. You need to trust Lucius Malfoy, even if you don't want to after he admits what he did. Now get out. We have to get back to the Realm of Kings.”

“The Realm of what?”

“Kings,” Gryffindor said. “It's one of the places for souls like ours to go to after they die.”

“Right,” I said, glancing around. “How do I get out?”

Airis raised a hand, pointing to a spot behind me. I turned, and saw a ball of light floating in mid air.

“Follow it,” she ordered. “And, Ginny?”

I turned back to her. She was looking at me like I was a lost child.

“Be strong,” she said. I nodded, and followed the ball of light out of the tomb.

Bright sunlight greeted me as I exited the tomb, hitting my retinas like knives. I blinked rapidly, and held a hand over my brow to shield my eyes for the bright light. I looked around for Bill, Alasdair, and Lucius. The bright countryside was deserted.

A flicker of fear tightened my chest. I thought of the moment I exited the Realm of Memories, when the demon paid me a visit. I prayed that was not what was happening right now.

But then there was a shimmer of movement, and a tent appeared out of nowhere. The front flap opened and Bill climbed out. He saw me and his face broke into a broad grin.

“Ginny!” he called, bounding forward. I let a smile break my stiff face, as Bill's arms gathered me into a bear hug.

“Hi Bill,” I choked. “I can't breathe.”

Bill released me, still grinning. “How'd you do?”

I held up the Book and the glass. “I'm getting him back.”

“Really? That was the final test?”

“Yes. How's Ron?”

“Better, but not healed fully.”

The tent flap opened again and Lucius exited. He waved to me, and Bill and I started towards him.

“Weasley,” he said, once we reached the tent. “How was it?”

“Good,” I said. “I was told to ask you how Tom Riddle got out of the diadem.”

Lucius's reaction was instantaneous. What little color he had in his face was drained. He sucked in a breath, and his eyes widened with fear.

“How-” he croaked, “how did you-”

My eyes narrowed. “You did it, didn't you?”

Lucius swallowed nervously. “I- I didn't mean t-too-”

My wand was out and pressing in on his sternum within seconds. Bill had his wand out too and was holding it between Lucius's eyebrows. Lucius's already scared face looked terrified.

“What did you do?”

“I- I found the- the Book,” he stammered, his eyes darting between Bill's wand and mine. “I t-took it to the D-dark Lord and he- he told me to use the R-rising F-fire spell to- to- to raise one of his Hor- Horcruxes. I hadn't planned on turning on him until he... he...”

Lucius gulped again. “I never meant- I didn't want- I wanted to say no-”

I pressed my wand harder into his sternum. He winced. “What did you do?”

“I raised the Horcrux,” he gasped. “But only because he said he would kill Narcissa!”

I drew back. “Voldemort forced you to do it,” I said.

“Yes,” Lucius squeaked.

I pushed my wand into my pocket. “They told me to trust you even if I didn't want to,” I said. “So I believe you.”

Bill looked at me incredulously. “You do?”

I nodded. “Godric Gryffindor himself said I should. I believe him.”

“You spoke to Gryffindor?” Bill said.

“His ghost,” I said. “I'll explain it all later. Right now, we have to get back to Hogwarts.”

Lucius was still pale, but he nodded and ducked back into the tent. Seconds later, he reappeared with Alasdair. Alasdair gave me a stiff nod. His hair was messed up, and it stuck up on one side.

“What time is it?” I asked Bill. He looked startled a moment, and then checked his watch.

“Half past seven,” he said.

“Was I gone long?”

“Only a day.”

“We should hurry,” Lucius said; he waved his wand and the tent deflated instantly, folding in on itself until it was the size of a cracker. Lucius picked it up and slipped it into his pocket. “We have a fair ways to walk before we reach the Apparition point.”

“Why can't we Apparate here?” I asked, confused.

“It has wards around it,” he replied. His voice was still shaky. “Like at Hogwarts, you can't Apparate within the boundaries around it. It's what keeps it out of sight of the Muggles.”

And so we walked. Bill kept his arm around my shoulders, Lucius walked ahead of us, and Alasdair in the back. I kept my head down, and I clutched the book to my chest. I tried to keep my thoughts clear, but things kept popping up in my mind. A half hour into our walk, a random wave of fear hit me so hard I stumbled. It passed quickly, but Bill kept asking me what was wrong. Another half hour later, I lost all feeling in my legs. I collapsed on the green hillside, somehow convinced that someone had cut me in half. I didn't voice my fears, fortunately, because my legs were still attached to my body and Bill and Alasdair were already worried out of their minds. After that, Bill insisted he carry me. I wanted to protest, but my voice vanished. I didn't want them to know, so I gave Lucius the book, let Bill heave me onto his back, and carry me the rest of the way. My voice returned a few minutes later, much to my relief, but it wasn't over. The rhythm of Bill's long, loping gate lulled my brain into a stupor. It lulled my guard down.

As we reached the crest of yet another hill, I saw a huge, hulking figure, leering down at us. A ten foot tall wolf, standing on its hind paws. Blood dripped from it's wide, disturbing smile, and its yellow eyes gleamed like headlights.

I screamed.

Bill stopped immediately and lowered me to the ground. Alasdair's wand came out in a flash, and he was looking around for the source of my fright. Lucius drew his wand as well, and was looking around, fear in his eyes. The huge wolf man let out a bark-like laugh, and vanished.

“What is it?” Bill asked me, touching a hand to my flushed cheek, like Mum did when someone was upset. “What did you see?”

“I... It.. it was nothing,” I said, my breath coming in heaves. “Nothing.”

Bill frowned at me. “It wasn't nothing,” he insisted. “You've been on edge ever since we left Israel. What happened there?”

I gulped in air. “Nothing,” I lied.

Bill frowned at me. “Ginny, I know something happened, and it's scaring the hell out of you. Tell me, I can help.”

Tears prickled my eyes and made my vision blur.

“No, you can't,” I said softly; my voice was pained. “We should keep going. We have to get to Hogwarts.”

Bill still looked concerned, but Alasdair laid a hand on Bill's shoulder.

“Let her be,” he said.

I had never felt so grateful for Alasdair's presence on our trip.

Bill lifted me onto his back again.

“I can walk,” I said, but linked my arms around his neck. I protested weakly, and knew that Bill would win any argument I forced to happen. I was too weak to argue.

Finally, Lucius stopped. “Here,” he said. “See you at the gates.” With that, he Disapparated.

Bill twisted on the spot and I felt the breath knocked out of me again. But after all the other unpleasant things I had gone through, Apparating felt like a breath of fresh air.

When I could breathe again, Bill stood outside the Hogwarts gates, and Lucius was standing with his hands behind his back, looking up at the castle. Something inside me flickered with excitement and impatience. I slipped off Bill's back, and closed one hand over a single bar of the gate.

I was almost done. In just a few hours, I would have my match back with me.

Alasdair appeared in a flurry of dust and robes. He drew his wand, and tapped the lock with it. The chains clinked aside, and the gates swung open, the hinges creaking. He turned to me, and bowed.

“After you,” he said. I was too tired and too stressed to be amused. I stepped through the gates, and then, ran full out towards the front doors, gleaming in the afternoon sun.

“Ginny, slow down!” Bill called.

“You hurry up!” I shouted over my shoulder. I was close, too close to slow down for anything.

I bounded up the front steps. I threw my arms out in front of me and slammed into one of the wide oak doors. My breath came in gasps, blood roared in my ears, my heart pounded. My hands shaking, I grasped the metal handle. Bill and Alasdair skidded to halts beside me, I glanced over my shoulder to see Lucius hobbling up the steps, wheezing.

“I'm too old for this,” he said, gasping, leaning on his knees.

“Come on,” I urged, and I opened the door.

The Entrance Hall was empty. I stepped into the hall, my footsteps echoing in the vast chamber, looking around. Even now, Hogwarts sent a sense of awe through me.

“Ron's still in the hospital wing?” I asked Bill. He nodded. I started up the stairs, taking them two at a time. I ran down the fourth floor and I pushed open the Hospital Wing doors.

It was much more empty than when I had seen it last. Most of the beds were empty, and only a few people were awake to look up sharply when I burst through the doors. The matron, Madam Pomfrey, appeared in the doorway to her office, looking startled. Then her eyes found me, and relief settled on her face.

“He's there,” she said, pointing down the wing. I crossed the room quickly to the bed she had directed me to. Ron lay still, snoring softly. He was still pale, but a small amount of color had entered his cheeks. Mum was there, sleeping in a chair, and Hermione was lying across Ron's knees, her hair thrown everywhere.

Madam Pomfrey came up behind me. “He's doing much better. He should be awake any minute now,” she said. I nodded. Suddenly, I didn't want him to wake up now. It would be cruel to him, to wake up and be happy and healed and whole to have the news that Harry, his best friend, was dead and I had traveled to three other Realms to bring him back and was now facing a demon, possibly two so quickly and harshly. No, better he sleep for a while longer. My eyes moved from Ron to my mother.

“How's Mum holding up?” I asked in a low voice. Madam Pomfrey sighed.

“She's been at his side constantly,” she said. “I had to trick her and Miss Granger into drinking Dreamless Sleep Potions. They'll wake in a few hours.”

I couldn't think of what to say, so I only nodded. Bill laid a hand on my shoulder.

“Harry's waiting,” he said.

“He's still in the dormitory?”

Bill nodded. “Dumbledore put spells on the body, so he hasn't, you know...” he trailed off. I was grateful that he had not said the word I was thinking. 'Decayed.'

I looked back at Ron, and clapped my hands over my mouth. Where Ron had been was a dead body, a decayed skeletal figure that looked like it had been dead for several months. I blinked, and it was gone. Ron was Ron again.

“Are you all right, Miss Weasley?” Madam Pomfrey asked, frowning at me.

I was seeing things. A demon was threatening to break loose in the very place I had almost had the life drained out of me and Harry and almost died to stop it. My only soul match was lying on a bed upstairs, dead.

“I'm fine,” I said in a hollow voice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

She's weary. I can tell. She's on her knees before me, her head bowed and her shoulders slumped. She has been for a while. I can't tell exactly how long. Time is difficult. Her light is flickering, like a candle in a wind storm. She's exhausted, worn down to the core. I worry if she will be able to make it through whatever test she is facing now. She's bent, so far I pray she does not break. She is shaken to her roots, hit with a new terrifying thing every minute.

But then, still on her knees, she looks up. Not at me, but just, up. She's had enough of whatever is testing her, I know somehow. Her light pulses brighter, growing stronger. She's reached the point where she is so afraid, that she cannot be afraid any longer. I see strength and anger replace the fear. She pushes off the ground, and stands.

She is determined. She is strong. She is beautiful, and I know that whatever is opposing her is cowering in fear. She is holding me steady while keeping herself alive. In that moment, I know, she is my everything.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I stood outside the door to Harry's dorm, my fingers gripping the handle so hard my knuckles were white.

“Are you going to go in?” Bill asked.

I nodded, my jaw clenched. Bill put an arm around my shoulders, and his fingers encased mine. Together, we turned the handle of the door. It swung open, and I stepped inside.

My eyes found him instantly. He was deathly pale, limp and quiet. Of course he was. He was dead.

I had crossed the room and my hands had grasped his ice cold fingers before I realized what I was doing. A warm, wet tear glided down my cheek. Bill came up behind me, and Lucius walked to the other side of the bed.

“We should start,” Lucius said softly. I nodded again, and wiped away the tear. With one hand still holding on to Harry's limp hand for dear life, I reached out to take the book. He gave it to me, and I opened it to the very back.

The final page was written in perfect English but for a few words in the middle, which I guessed to be the incantation. I was glad. At the top, it read 'Rising Fire, the returning spell.' A warm feeling spread through me. Just a little longer, and I would have him back.

My eyes skimmed the page. I found the incantation, the instructions, the descriptions of what would happen, and the end result.

“You should back away,” I said, setting the book on the night table and drawing my wand. Bill and Lucius backed up a few steps. I glanced at them. “Farther,” I said. “To the other wall.”

Lucius raised and eyebrow, but Bill grabbed his sleeve and tugged him to the far wall. I glanced back at the book, raised my wand, and inhaled deeply through my nose.

“Death release your hold,” I said, my voice steady despite the pounding of my heart. “Send my match back. I send out my soul to find my match's. I call upon you, I have done all that was asked of me. I have passed your tests. I have faced my fears and more. I have asked your servant's permission and it has been granted. Lord of Death, open your gates. Fill my soul again.”

I glanced back at the book, and read aloud the only words that were not in English. “Cohmlanaigh m'anam le mo an grha le cohmacht Amor's ar.”

From my wand came, at first, what looked to be a gentle stream of bright fire. Then, the fire became fierce, and changed from the gentle stream to a torrent. Fire gushed from the end of my wand, forming a wall around me and the bed where Harry lay. I saw what Gryffindor had meant, as the fire storm around me became wilder and fiercer with each second. Despite all I had seen, heard, and done, I could not help but be amazed by this magic. It was beautiful in the way only a storm can be: Wild, unbridled, free. Whatever magic this was, I could see that it was an untamed magic.

The fire licked at my feet, but did not burn me. The flames danced around the curtains and feet of the bed, but they did not consume it. While the fire from Hermione's nightmare had done a deadly dance, this fire danced harmlessly, but I knew that if Bill or Lucius were to try and touch it, they would burn instantly.

The gleam of the fire brought color to Harry's face. But then, I realized that the color was actually returning to his face. A fierce wind erupted around us, catching my hair and throwing it back. It messed up Harry's already messy hair. Harry's icy fingers in mine were slowly gaining warmth.

He was coming back.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*


A man appears before me. Unlike her, he is clearly defined. He is unnaturally tall. He has dark hair, high cheekbones, and a regal expression. His hands are behind his back. And then, another figure appears. I am growing alarmed. I have never seen anyone here but her, and only felt and heard the force that kept me from her. This figure is smaller, slighter, but I can not tell if it is a woman or a man. This figure is made of something other than myself or her, but of something like metal. There are no details to this figure, not even a face.

“Your match calls you,” says the man.

“My match?”

“Your love,” a voice came from the smaller form.

“The Angel of Death has granted her permission,” the man says. “I will let you go free.”

Free?

“Stand, Storm Runner,” the smaller figure orders.

“What is a Storm Runner?”

“You,” the smaller figure says simply. “Now stand.”

I stand. The smaller figure reaches out a finger and presses the tip of it to my chest, to a spot just over my heart. I feel warmth spread through me, and the area around me dims. The man fades from sight, and the smaller figure blends into the blackness. All I see is her. Her light glows bright. She comes towards me, and stretches out her arms. I pull her into my embrace, and then, she becomes less solid. I have no time to be worried, as her light darts into me. I feel as though something has sucked all the breath from me. But then, heat spreads through me, from my chest to my fingers and toes. My eyes fall shut. I breathe in, and with the air inflating my lungs comes a sudden rush of information. My name is Harry Potter. I am sixteen years old. I am falling deeper in love with Ginny Weasley every day, and I am trying to deny it just as hard. My best friend is Ron Weasley. My other best friend is Hermione Granger. My parents died when I was a year old. I had been raised by my aunt and uncle, who mistreat me. I am dead. I died fighting Lord Voldemort, I died protecting Ginny.

The girl, the figure of light that has been with me this whole time is a part of her.

I open my eyes, to see a roof of fire over my head, and a girl silhouetted against the flames.
Reviews 105
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear