Search:

SIYE Time:15:12 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


After
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Asylum Challenge (2013-3), Asylum Challenge (2013-3)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, All, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 105
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall, Best Drama and the People’s Choice Award in the Asylum Challenge ***
*Nominated for 2014 April/May and November/December DSTA for Best Romance and Best Drama* *Nominated for 2016 January/February DSTA for Best Drama and Best Completed*

Ginny's plans for the weekend were just perfect: a day out in Hogsmeade with her girlfriends. Spend the morning window shopping and wishing, then lunch at the Three Broomsticks, and then to the local theater for a production of the Scottish Play (Macbeth).


Unfortunately, the bad luck of the Scottish Play strikes before it even starts. The village is invaded by Death Eaters, Dementors, and a man she had hoped to never see again in her life.


And in the middle of the battle, Ginny sees something she'd never thought she'd see. Voldemort and one of her greatest friends dueling; Harry Potter and Voldemort fighting so fiercely, she lost focus on her own battle. Harry Potter, crying out, falling, and hitting the ground. Dead.

And then, someone she never expected to help her saves her from Voldemort’s wrath.
Hitcount: Story Total: 167870; Chapter Total: 6941







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Two

The After World


“If you try anything, I swear to God, I will show no mercy,” I growled, pointing my wand at Lucius Malfoy’s chest.

“I do not wish to harm you. If I wanted you dead, I would have left you with the Dark Lord.”

“Where I am, and what do you want?”

“We’re inside the Forbidden Forest, about three miles to Hogwarts. As to what I want, I want protection. For me, and my family,” Malfoy gestured to the woman standing on his left, and to Draco Malfoy, standing on his right.

I blinked in confusion. I didn’t lower my wand. “You- what?”

“I want protection for my family from the Dark Lord.”

“But, but I thought you were his greatest supporters?”

“We were,” Mrs. Malfoy said. “We thought he had the right idea, putting pureblood’s in charge. But then he started killing everyone who stood in his way, even his own servants. We were relieved when Potter defeated him. But when he came back, we had bow to him. We were afraid he’d kill us if we didn’t.”

“But now, we have a way out. And you are it,” Mr. Malfoy said.

“What makes you think I can help you?”

“You’re close to Potter, therefore you’re close to Dumbledore.”

“Harry’s dead,” I said. Tears filled my eyes as the words left my lips. But there was nothing I could do to change that.

“I can do something about that.”

“What? Bury him? Fund a memorial project? Create a monument? That won’t change the fact that he’s dead!” I shouted. My gaze fell to his face. Terror still twisted his features.

“Not completely.”

I looked up. Draco was looking at me with such determination in his eyes.

“What the hell does that mean?”

“I mean he’s still anchored to this world. He hasn’t crossed to the next one.”

“What?”

“He’s stuck in limbo,” Lucius said. “Stuck between this world, and the next world.”

“He’s still gone!”

“But we can bring him back!” Lucius said. “All you have to do is promise we’ll be granted asylum.”

“No magic can raise the dead,” I said.

“No magic can pull a soul from the After-World, to this one. But Potter isn’t in the After-World.”

“The what?”

“The After-World. Where souls go after all their ties to this world have been severed. Where they go to be judged.”

“And Harry’s soul is there?”

“He’s between our world and the After-World,” Draco said.

“Why?”

“Because he’s still tied to this world,” Lucius said.

“How do you know?”

“Promise us asylum, and we’ll tell you how to get him back.”

“I can’t promise you anything,” I said. “I’m not close to Dumbledore. I wasn’t even close to Harry!”

“You have more influence than you believe, Miss Weasley,” Mrs. Malfoy said.

I gulped, and looked down at Harry’s body. The look of terror on his face twisted my heart, broke it. He died because of me.

“How can I trust you?”

“I swear, we are not deceiving you,” Malfoy said. I clenched my jaw.

“Swear on your magic you won’t harm me, any of my allies, or relay information about the Order of the Phoenix to Voldemort. Swear that you will bring Harry back.”

The Malfoy’s flinched at the name, but Lucius nodded.

“I swear on my magic.”

I closed my eyes. The weight of Harry’s body suddenly increased. I felt like the weight Harry had shouldered had suddenly dropped into my lap.

“I’ll do my best,” I said finally, looking up. The Malfoy’s visibly relaxed.

“We’d better start walking,” Mr. Malfoy said. I stood up. The weightless charm I had put on Harry’s body had worn off. I grunted, and quickly replaced the charm. I pulled one of Harry’s arms around my shoulders. He was still heavy. Cursing under my breath, I cast another weightless charm. He was still too heavy.

Draco, obviously sensing my frustration, moved forward, and draped Harry’s other limp arm over his shoulder. He gave me a tight smile. I did not return it. I still didn’t trust them, no matter how strong a swear Malfoy gave me. But the possibility that they could bring Harry back was too tempting, too alluring.

Doubts chased each other around my head. No magic could re-awaken the dead. But if Harry wasn’t truly dead, then maybe he could come back. But how? I had heard of necromancy, but it was a dark and dangerous branch of magic. How could I bring Harry back without compromising my morals?

The walk to Hogwarts was long, and dominated with a tense silence. I kept my eyes ahead, but Draco’s presence, aiding me with Harry’s body, was strong. I didn’t need to look around to know that he was watching me.

Mrs. Malfoy stayed on my other side, head held erect and proud. Lucius brought up the rear. I kept my wand out, ready to fight off anything that dared pose a threat to me. Soon, I lit its tip to cast a glow over the ground, for no light pierced the tightly laced branches of the trees.

Once the trees thinned out, I saw that the sky was dark. No moon was out, but the stars lit up the sky. Hogwarts gleamed with lights despite the hour of night. I glanced around. Hagrid’s hut was dark.

“He must be up at the castle,” I muttered to myself. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Draco glance over at his hut too. His expression was unreadable.

“We should hurry,” Malfoy said. “The Dark Lord is surely attacking Hogwarts defenses as we speak.”

I nodded, but said nothing. I lengthened my stride, and Draco hastened to match me. His parents crossed in front, half walking, half running. We reached the steps soon. I let Draco take the full weight of Harry’s body, and hurried to the door. I tried the handle, but it would not give. I grabbed the heavy brass knocker, and banged it against the wood three times. I stepped back, waiting for someone to hear me.

Seconds passed, with no one answering. I knocked again. I could now hear voices on the other side of the thick oak.

“Who’s there?”

My heart leapt. That was my mother’s voice.

“Ginny Weasley!” I called, then glancing at my companions, “With some others.”

“Ginny!” Mum cried. The door opened a crack, but then it slammed. I could hear someone else speaking hurriedly.

“… could be an imposter,” they said.

“I know my daughter’s voice!”

“Still, ask her a question only she could answer.”

“Fine!” my mother spat. “Ginny?”

“Yes?”

“At your seventh birthday, what did your brother Bill give you?”

“A book of muggle fairy tales.”

The door opened. Mum crossed the threshold and grabbed my in a tight hug. Tears that I had been holding back all day fell as I buried my face in her shoulder.

“Oh, my baby,” Mum crooned. “We thought you were dead!”

“I almost was,” I whispered. She let go. A man I did not recognize stepped forward.

“How-“ then Mum’s eyes found Malfoy. She drew her wand, and pushed me behind her.

“Mum, it’s all right!” I said quickly.

“They’re Death Eaters!”

“They’re the reason I’m alive!”

Mum glanced back at me. Malfoy nodded.

“Molly,” Mrs. Malfoy started forward, “we intend you no harm.”

“How did you get inside Hogwarts grounds?”

“We pose no threats,” Lucius said. “The enchantments allowed us safe passage.”

Mum searched their faces, and her gaze settled on Harry’s body. She let out a gasp.

“What happened to him?”

“He’s dead,” I said.

“What?”

“Voldemort killed him. But Mr. Malfoy says he can bring him back.”

Mum looked back at me with a look of terror on her face.

“No magic can raise the dead.”

I turned. The unknown man spoke in a deep, enchanting voice. He moved into the light.

“No magic can call a soul back from the After-World,” Malfoy corrected. “The Potter boy’s soul is not in the After-World. Thus, he can be recalled to this world.”

“How?”

“I will tell you how, and help you bring him back on one condition. That you grant myself, my wife, and my son a safe asylum from the Dark Lord.”

Mum and the man glanced at each other.

“We’ll bring you to Dumbledore,” Mum said. Mum took my hand and led me inside. The Entrance Hall was packed, it looked like Madam Pomfrey had turned it into a hospital.

I glanced back at the Malfoy’s. Draco looked strained under Harry’s weight. I let go of Mum’s hand, and resumed my place supporting Harry’s body. Draco smiled in appreciation.

“This way,” the man said. He led us up the stairs to the fourth floor. Mum stayed behind. The corridors were empty. It looked like everyone was in the Entrance Hall. We walked to Dumbledore’s office. The gargoyle guarding the entrance to his office leapt aside as we approached.

Draco and I awkwardly traveled the narrow staircase up to Dumbledore’s office.

Inside his office, the heads of all the houses were talking in hushed voices to the Headmaster, who sat in his chair behind his desk. The man cleared his throat. The professors turned.

“The Malfoy’s have requested asylum,” he said.

“Have they?” Professor McGonagall said. “And why have they done that?”

“We dislike the Dark Lord’s methods,” Malfoy started.

“We all do,” McGonagall snapped.

“We want freedom from him.”

“Why should we give you protection? How do we know you are not going to turn on us?”

“He swore to me that he was not lying, Professor,” I said. Professor McGonagall turned to me, and her face paled as she saw Harry’s head lolling onto his chest.

“What- Potter- is he?”

“Dead,” I confirmed. “By Voldemort’s hand.”

Dumbledore, who had said nothing since we entered the office, pressed the tips of his fingers together, and closed his eyes. He seemed tired, and windblown.

“Professor?” the man said.

“I grant them asylum,” Dumbledore said. Professor McGonagall made a sound as if to argue, but held her tongue.

“Thank you, Professor,” Lucius said.

“Professor Dumbledore?” I said in a quiet voice.

“Yes, my dear?”

I glanced at Malfoy, then said in a rushed voice, “Professor, Mr. Malfoy said that he can bring Harry back.”

Dumbledore’s eyes flew open.

“He said what?”

“I can bring Potter’s soul back to this world.”

Dumbledore stood up, and he moved out from behind the desk. He crossed the room to stand before Malfoy.

“How?” he said.

“When a person dies, their soul crosses from this world to the Waiting Realm, the realm between our world and the After-World,” Lucius said. “Usually, the soul goes onto the After-World immediately. But sometimes, the soul is tied to this world and cannot cross over until all ties are severed. In Potter’s case, his tie to this world is that the entirety of his soul is not in the Waiting Realm.”

“How do you know?” Dumbledore asked.

“Before I married Narcissa, I worked for the Ministry as a Magical Genealogist. I studied family trees and their magical abilities. As a hobby, I studied death and souls. In my studies, I discovered a book written by the Founders of Hogwarts on the subject. I learned that a person’s affinity with magic depends on one thing: their soul match.

“Normally, a soul has seven potential soul matches. On a rare occasion, there is only one match for a soul, or there is no match. The Founders called the first type of soul a Magis Compar Anima. The second a Fidelis Anima. The third Impares Anima. Fidelis Anima’s are the strongest of the three types, and from what my research shows, all Fidelis Animas are wizards and witches. The Potter family tree is full of Fidelis Animas, and when a person’s parents are Fidelis Animas, then that person is most likely to be a Fidelis Anima. From what I know of Lily and James Potter, I conclude that they were Fidelis Animas. Also, the stronger a person’s magic is, the stronger the possibility they are one of the two rarer kinds of souls. And so my research shows that Potter is a Fidelis Anima.”

“But how does that affect his soul?” I asked.

“When a Fidelis Anima is born, a part of their soul detaches from the rest, and goes to their match, and they receive a part of their match’s soul. So a part of Potter’s soul is still in this world, inside his match.”

“But what if Harry isn’t a Fidelis Anima?” I said.

“Then he is lost.”

“How can we bring him back?” Dumbledore asked.

“We must find his match. Once we do, we can use the part of Potter’s soul that is inside her to pull Potter back.”

Dumbledore let out his breath, and crossed back to his desk.

“If what you say is true, then we have a chance of defeating Voldemort.”
Reviews 105
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear