Search:

SIYE Time:18:06 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Lazy Summer Days
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 18
Summary: Nominated for Nov. 2013 Best Romance, Best Comedy and Best New Story.


Summer is the best time of the year, no matter what those Christmas carols say. Because during summer, you can wear cut-off jeans, run around barefoot and cause a general ruckus. Summertime is the time of care-free fun, and summer nights elicit sudden feelings of warmth and romance. During summer the days are long and lazy, and the in a particular little village in Devon England, love is in the air. Summer is when my good friend Cupid runs rapid, not Valentine’s Day, ‘cause that’s just one day while summer has weeks and weeks of warm air and sweet kisses. Good ole Cupid enjoys a good summer fling, and he knows just who needs a good fling, with a kick in the pants to get there. Let’s just say that Harry and Ginny become fast friends, given Ron and Hermione’s peculiar behavior, and if I know Cupid, they’ll become fast more-than-friends too.
Hitcount: Story Total: 10142; Chapter Total: 3209





Author's Notes:
Another little thing that popped into my head and refused to go away. Enjoy it, y'all. And please, pretty pretty please review!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Lazy Summer Days
One: Summer Nights and Sweet Dreams

“Good afternoon, Harry!” Mr. Arthur Weasley said cheerfully as Harry Potter opened the door.

“Mr. Weasley,” Harry said, blinking in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

“Fetching you, of course,” Mr. Weasley replied with a wide grin. “Professor Dumbledore agreed with me and Molly that you deserve a good summer away from the Muggles. What do you say, eh?”

“Wow,” Harry stammered, “thank you, sir. Are we leaving now?”

“In just a moment, after I have a little chat with your aunt and uncle,” Mr. Weasley said. “So you go grab your stuff, and I’ll talk to them, okay?”

“Actually, my uncle isn’t here,” Harry said, “but my aunt is in the kitchen making dinner. It’s through that door there,” he added, pointing down the hallway.

“Thank you, my boy, I’ll be over with her soon, you go pack.”

Harry nodded, and, for the first time in days, he smiled.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Yes, those two are rather a cute couple,” said Cupid, twanging his bow as he sat in a park watching couples walk hand in hand and talking on his cell-phone. “I think they are my greatest accomplishment ever. They have been bickering since they first met, you know, and I didn’t even need to shoot them to get them to fall in love!”

“Well, Weasley and Granger aside, Cupe, I’ve got another proposition for you,” replied his ‘assistant’, Valentina. “And it’s not Taylor Swift. Honestly, you should just chuck the bow with her and use a shotgun.”

“Could it be that Hunter Hayes character? You know, in his last single, he said I didn’t even know what to do. He embarrassed me-”

“Nope, better than some music star. Harry Potter.”

“Oh?” Cupid sat up straighter in his seat. “And who might I be shooting along with him? Remember, if it’s a Potter man, his woman must have red hair.”

“Ron Weasley’s sister: Ginny.”

“Oh, yes, how perfect,” Cupid laughed. “Hold on, I see someone who needs an arrow.” He drew an arrow from his quiver, notched it to his bowstring, and let it fly. It whizzed through the air, and struck a young boy in the arm. He stumbled back, dropping his guitar, and said very loudly, “OW!”

“So, I don’t know what to do, eh?” Cupid chuckled, as the boy in front of him spotted his intended recipient. “Well, Hunter Hayes, meet Taylor Swift. You were saying, Valentina? Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley?”

“Yup, and to be honest with you, he’s a slippery one. You’ll have to use a shotgun.”

“What is it with you and shotguns?” Cupid sighed, as he rose from his seat and started down the path. “Ever since that Carrie Underwood song came out, you’ve been begging me to use a shotgun on someone. I’ve told you before, love doesn’t come from artillery!”

“Just get Potter, and shoot that Bill Weasley while you’re at it. That French girl is sooo perfect for him!”

“All right, all right!” Cupid sighed. “Now, if you don’t mind, I find talking on the phone while Apparating to be horrendously difficult.”

And thus, Cupid hung up the phone and stowed it in his jeans pocket. Glancing over his shoulder at the music video shoot, he smirked at Hayes and Swift flirting tentatively, while Hayes’ music partner and the rest of the music crew shrugged in confusion.

Cupid slung his bow over his shoulder, turned on the spot, and Disapparated from the park somewhere in America to England, specifically to Little Whinging, Surrey.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, Mr. Weasley, are you done?” Harry asked, setting Hedwig’s cage on top of his trunk. It was empty at the moment, as Hedwig had gone out hunting the night before hadn’t yet returned.

“Yes, I believe so,” Mr. Weasley said, running a hand through his thinning hair. “Are you sure she’s not a banshee, Harry?”

Harry gave a half smile, and shook his head. “Well, we should probably go before she changes her mind.”

“Yes, yes, let’s,” Mr. Weasley took out his wand and tapped Hedwig’s cage and Harry’s trunk with the tip. They vanished in a flash of blue light, and Mr. Weasley stowed his wand back in his pocket. “They’re waiting for us at the Burrow. We’ll Disapparate out there.”

Harry followed him out the door, and they walked along the sidewalk down the street, taking the route Harry so often took to the park. Once out of sight of the Muggle houses, Mr. Weasley held out his arm to Harry, who took it, and they vanished into thin air.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Darn it!” hissed Cupid as his arrow struck a tree just past the point where Harry Potter had just been standing. He uttered a few more foul words under his breath, in Greek of course. He would just have to hit him while he was at the Burrow.

“Don’t let me be lonely, while we’re young and alive. Take the keys to my car and the keys to my heart and just drive, oh, don’t let me be lonely,” sang the voice of Kimberly Perry from the Band Perry, coming from his pocket. He withdrew his phone to see Valentina’s picture, smiling seductively up at him. He answered the call.”

“Yes?” he said.

“Did you get him?”

“I’m afraid not. Arthur Weasley Disapparated with him just as I shot an arrow.”

“Really?” Valentina gasped. “You couldn’t get him?”

“I made an error, Val, I’ll get him soon. I’ll see you when I get home, all right?”

“Fine, but don’t be late, I’ve got P.F. Chang’s waiting for us. Oh, and I bought a little something red and lacy, so hurry up.”

Cupid’s lips curled in a smile, and he said, “You know what, I can get him tomorrow. I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Oooh, all right, see you soon babe.”

Cupid hung up, and Disapparated back to America. There would be plenty of time to shoot Potter, right now, his wife demanded his attention.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Harry, dear, welcome back!” Mrs. Weasley said, beaming, as she enfolded him into a bone-crushing hug. Harry patted her back awkwardly as best he could, with his arms pinned to his sides. Mr. Weasley had already left, having to go back to work.

“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” he said, his voice slightly strained. She must have sensed his currently difficult breathing, and let him go.

“Ron’s upstairs in his room with Hermione,” she said, still smiling. “I let everyone off of chores for today, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to help out with chores while you’re here. What with the twins gone, I’ve only got you, Ron, Hermione and Ginny.”

“That’s fine, Mrs. Weasley, I’d be glad to help,” Harry said. She smiled warmly, and patted his cheek.

“Such a sweet boy,” she said. “Go on up, supper will be ready in an hour or so.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said as he started towards the stairs. He climbed them up to the very top, where he opened the door to Ron’s room, and froze in the doorway.

“Harry!” Hermione squeaked, jumping up from the bed where she and Ron had been… kissing?

“Did- were- you-” Harry stuttered.

“Uh, that was nothing, mate,” Ron said, stammering just much as Harry.

“Ron and I were just… err,” Hermione trailed off, looking at Ron.

“Kissing,” Harry finished for her, “or I’m seeing things.”

“Harry, mate,” Ron started.

“No, no, it’s fine,” Harry said. “You two carry on. I’ll just… go.”

He turned away, shutting the door behind him. Rapidly blinking in an attempt to clear the image of his two best friends locking lips, Harry started back down the stairs. A few flights down, another door opened on his left. He turned, and was surprised to see Ginny, who looked just as surprised as he was.

“Hi,” he said.

“You saw them, then?” she said, forgoing a hello.

“Yeah,” Harry said, rubbing the back of his neck. “I’m going to try and forget that I ever saw them doing that.”

“Kissing, or worse?” Ginny asked.

Harry felt his face grow very warm. “Ginny!” he protested. She shrugged.

“It’s possible. They’ve been up there all day, all alone, with no interruptions.”

“No, they were just kissing and I don’t want to think about that, thanks,” he said, feeling rather annoyed.

Ginny shrugged again. “Suit yourself. I’m going out for a fly, you want to come?”

Harry glanced back up at the door to Ron’s room, and said, “Yeah, why not?”

Ten minutes later, Harry and Ginny were walking off to the apple orchard with their brooms, Ginny having nicked Ron’s Cleansweep.

“One a-side?” Harry asked as they reached the midst of the orchard.

“No, let’s race,” Ginny said, grinning.

Harry felt a smirk tug at the corners of his mouth. “It wouldn’t be fair, my broom’s faster than yours.”

“So?” Ginny said. “It won’t be a normal race, now will it?”

“How so?” Harry asked, now confused.

“What do you say to an obstacle course?”

*~*~*~*~*~*
Harry touched down panting. “I’ll say, Ginny, that’s some really cool magic.”

Ginny touched down beside him, and beamed at him, and flicked her wand. “Just don’t tell anyone I was using magic, okay?” Above them, the hoops and bars that Ginny had conjured for her obstacle course vanished.

“I still think I would have beaten you if we had time to finish,” Harry said.

Ginny smirked. “I made the course, Potter, I know how to best it.”

“I’m still faster,” countered Harry, dismounting. Ginny swung her leg off the broom, and started off back to the house.

“In your dreams Potter,” Ginny said.

“In YOUR dreams, Weasley,” Harry said, but there was a smile on his face.

“Do my ears hear a challenge?” Ginny asked, cupping a hand to her ear. “All right then, Potter,” she stepped in front of him, eyes sparkling with laughter and mischief. “Meet me back here at midnight, and we’ll see how you do without your precious Firebolt.”

“Challenge accepted,” Harry said. “Don’t go crying when I kick your butt.”

“Oh, Harry,” Ginny said, smiling sweetly. “I’ll be the one kicking ass.”

With that, she turned away, leaving Harry standing stock-still, rater stunned.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Are you sure we won’t get in trouble?” Harry asked, glancing around as he and Ginny crept away from the house to the apple orchard.

“Positive,” Ginny said. Harry glanced at her, and found his eyes glued to her. Her long red hair shimmered in the light of the moon and the stars, but her eyes put them all to shame with their impish light. Her long locks danced in the warm summer night breeze, and he couldn’t help but notice the way her hips swung ever so slightly as she walked. Her arm brushed against his, and he quickly averted his gaze before it strayed even further into this forbidden territory.

Ginny stopped at the broom shed, unlocked it with a tap of her wand, and withdrew from it two brooms.

“Here,” she said, handing him one. As he took it, his fingers brushed against hers, and a shiver went up his spine. He brushed it aside, and propped the broom on his shoulder.

“Come on,” Ginny said, mounting her broom. She kicked off the ground, and Harry watched her shoot into the air, soaring through the air to the orchard. Harry swung one leg over his broom, and chased after her.

The broom was a decent one, although he had to fight it to keep it from straying too far to the left. It was fast enough, not as fast as his Firebolt, but faster than most of Hogwarts’ brooms.

“Hurry up, slow poke!” Ginny called from the midst of the orchard. Harry leaned over the handle of his broom, and it shot through the air towards her.

“First one to touch that tree and get back to the ground wins. Loser does the winner’s chores,” Ginny said, pointing to a tall pine some fifty feet away.

“Ready?” Harry asked.

“Get set,” Ginny said, her eyes fixed on the treetop.

“Go!” they shouted together, and Harry surged forward, Ginny hot on his heels. Harry smirked, and leaned farther forward. He glanced behind him, and frowned. He looked up, and his jaw dropped.

“So, you’re faster, huh?” Ginny shouted over her shoulder as she reached out to touch the tree.

Harry growled a foul word under his breath and urged the broom to go faster, but Ginny had already touched the tree, and was already flying past him. Harry flung out a hand to touch a branch, made a sharp turn and, almost flat against his broom, he saw Ginny jump off her broom and land gracefully on the ground. Harry slowed in midair, scowling. But a moment went by, and his scowl was replaced by a look of awe and surprise. Where she stood, the wind gently buffeted at the wildflowers, spreading her hair out behind her and pressing her tee shirt close to her body. Harry blinked, and jerked his head side to side in an attempt to clear it. He flew down to where she stood and dismounted.

“So, who’s faster?” Ginny asked, smirking.

“You,” Harry grumbled, tossing his broom to the ground moodily.

“Don’t worry, I won’t make you do my chores,” Ginny said, her smirk turning into a warmer smile.

“No, I lost; I’ll do your chores tomorrow, but only tomorrow!” Harry said, adding this to ensure a short lived humiliation.

“Actually, you shouldn’t,” Ginny said, holding out her broom to him. He frowned a moment, and took it from her. His eyebrows rose as he read the name painted on the handle.

“Seriously?” he said, looking up. “You nicked my broom?”

Ginny laughed, and nodded. “You don’t have to do my chores,” she said again, her eyes sparkling with merriment.

“You little devil!” he gasped, but a grin spread across his face and he began to laugh too. “How did you do it?”

“Oh, a devil never reveals her secrets,” Ginny said, linking her arm through his. “But I will tell you that Fred and George did not help.”

Harry laughed, but his mind hadn’t really processed anything she had said after she took his arm. A warm sensation spread through him, but he felt rather confused.

“How about we go get you a Cleansweep and give it another try?”

“I’d say yes, but I just love riding your broom,” Ginny said, winking at him. Harry shrugged.

“How about a game of tag?” Ginny suggested. “You can ride your broom.”

“That sounds fun,” Harry said, nodding. “But shouldn’t we head back? It is late.”

“Don’t tell me you’ve never stayed up late having fun!” Ginny laughed. “Come on, Potter. Its summer, you won’t lose house points for staying out!”

“I’ve stayed up late before,” Harry insisted.

“Doing something fun?” Ginny asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Well, maybe not,” Harry said. Ginny smirked.

“Come on, then,” she said. She poked him in the shoulder, and added, “You’re it.”

Ginny jumped onto his Firebolt, and soared off into the sky. Harry quickly mounted the Cleansweep, and shot off after her.

“Catch me if you can!” Ginny called over her shoulder. Harry leaned over the handle of his broom, and chased after her. Vaguely, he heard a whizzing noise behind him, and speeded up to avoid whatever it was.

At around three o’clock, the two teenagers finally surrendered to the lingering desire for sleep in the back of their minds. Ginny gave Harry back his broom, and they walked back to the house, laughing when Ginny stumbled over something or Harry tripped over his own two feet. Ginny accused him of being a klutz, and Harry reminded her that he was only grudgingly forgiving her for stealing his broom.

At the door to Ginny’s room, Ginny laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder, stopping him for going up to Ron’s room.

“I just want to say that I had a great time,” she said, smiling at him. “I’m glad you chose to come with me instead of moping.”

Harry frowned for a moment, and then he remembered that he was supposed to be grieving Sirius’s death. He looked down at his shoes, feeling embarrassed.

“I had fun too,” he finally said. Ginny smiled again, and opened the door to her room. He caught a glimpse of cream colored carpet, strewn with papers and books, before she slipped inside and closed the door.

Harry stood in silence a moment, and then turned, and he too, headed up to bed.

As he slept, his dreams turned from their normal nightmarish events to replaying of that night, but with one addition. Though when he woke he did not remember it, he dreamt of taking his best friend’s little sister for a ride on his broom; he dreamt of holding her close, and in his dreams he kissed her soft sweet lips. When he woke up the next morning, he had a wide goofy grin on his face, and for the life of him, he could not remember why.
Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear