Search:

SIYE Time:14:13 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Thorny Rose 2: A Bustle In Your Hedgerow
By Brennus

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Intimate Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 213
Summary: Sequel to (amazingly) The Thorny Rose. The Triwizard Tournament is over and Harry and Ginny are together. What has Ginny got planned for her new boyfriend next?
Hitcount: Story Total: 70580; Chapter Total: 6031
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Oh, weren’t you lot unhappy at me making Ron a prefect in the last chapter? I could hear the howls of fury from here in soggy Wiltshire. Snigger. This chapter is (largely) Ron free, you’ll all be pleased to know (although he is a git in the small appearance he does make). Hopefully that will ensure that I don’t get any pitchforks lobbed at me this time…

As always, thanks to Arnel for her keen eye and shrewd suggestions. The woman is a jewel, I tell you!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 7 — Meetings and More Confessions



“Well, this place is interesting,” Ginny commented with distaste as she looked around. She could barely believe the café was allowed to serve food, such was the state it was in.

“Yeah, I don’t think we’ll be eating here,” Harry said in agreement as they headed up to the counter.

This run-down, greasy-spoon was the place that Percy had decided they should meet. In some ways, it was the perfect choice as no self-respecting wizard would ever be seen dead in such an establishment. Ginny was just amazed that Percy even knew that such a place even existed.

While Harry ordered a couple of cans of fizzy drink, she scanned the booths to see if her brother had already arrived. If he was here, she concluded, he was expertly disguised. Once Harry had made his purchases, they headed over to one of the more secluded side-booths and sat down, after carefully wiping down the seats first, of course.

“Here you go, Ginny,” Harry said offering her one of the cans. “This is called Coca-Cola. You might find it a bit sweet and bubbly.”

“Harry, I live right next to a Muggle village; I’ve had cans of coke before,” she muttered in exasperation.

“Ah, sorry,” Harry said contritely. “I thought this might have been your first time.”

“It’s my first time for visiting a pigsty disguised as a café,” she admitted. “Are all Muggle places in London like this?”

“No,” he replied adamantly. “Trust me, your average Muggle would be as appalled as you are.”

“Then why did… oh, hang on. Percy’s just walked in,” Ginny noted, “and he’s not alone.”

“What?” Harry exclaimed, his head snapping round towards the door.

“Relax, he’s just with some girl,” Ginny advised, “although why he’s brought his latest bit of fluff is a mystery.”

They watched as Percy and his mysterious friend walked up to the counter and bought a couple of cans of drink and some chocolate bars. Clearly, they too were avoiding anything that needed any form of preparation by the owner. Casually, Percy ambled down the aisle and sat himself down next to Ginny. The mousy-looking girl took a seat next to Harry.

“Ginevra, Harry; nice to see you both,” Percy said stiffly.

“Yes, hello, Percy. Nice place you picked for us to meet,” Ginny said acidly. “Who’s your friend, by the way?”

“May I introduce Audrey Rankin,” Percy said, smiling at the girl. “My fiancé.”

“What!” Ginny gasped. “Mum’s going to have a bloody fit when she hears about this!”

“Well, I trust that you will keep my secret a while longer, then” Percy said coolly. “There’s no reason for mother to know anything at this stage, is there?”

“It’s your funeral,” Ginny shrugged. “Very nice to meet you, Audrey, and I don’t mean to be rude, but why are you here?”

“We thought it would be better cover if I accompanied Percy,” Audrey replied in a surprisingly firm voice. “If anyone asks, Percy is just taking me to be introduced to his sister and her boyfriend. Nothing unusual about that, is there?”

“No, it’s a good cover, but we and Percy have some important things to discuss and we can’t do that with you here,” Ginny replied, matching the girls tone.

“On the contrary, Ginevra, Audrey is privy to all the information I have to give you and, indeed, helped collect a large proportion of it,” Percy interrupted.

“You told your girlfriend what we’re doing?” Harry asked with a hint of anger in his voice.

“I assure you, Audrey is completely discrete, and, in fact, is an extremely willing participant in your little project,” Percy said calmly. “You see, Audrey here works at the Ministry in the Finance Section. More specifically, she looks after the ledgers and accounts of the Minister’s private office.”

Ginny saw where Percy was going with this immediately. “You mean…” she began.

“In the two years I’ve worked in the Ministry, I’ve seen more underhand and criminal behaviour then I ever believed possible,” Audrey interrupted. “The bribery and corruption is completely out of control and, as soon as Percy explained what he was doing, I saw this was my chance to expose some of the wrong-doings I have to deal with on a daily basis.”

“If you’re so upset about it, why don’t you go to the Daily Prophet, or something?” Harry asked.

“Because that paper is practically run by the Ministry. They wouldn’t print anything that made the Minister look bad,” she sniffed. “Besides, if they even got a hint I was spilling their secrets I’m sure I’d meet with an unfortunate ‘accident’. Either that, or my family would be made to suffer in some way.”

“Audrey has been keeping secret records of all the bribes the Minister has accepted. The fool has routed all the money through his personal expenses account, so it was all easy to trace,” Percy explained.

Ginny stared at the mousey brown-haired girl intently. If what Percy was saying was true, this could be the ticket to either control Fudge or dispose of him completely. It just all seemed a bit convenient to her.

“And totally by coincidence, it just so happens your girlfriend works in the one place that can supply all this information?” Harry asked suspiciously, obviously thinking along the same lines as her.

“Look, you can check my story, if you like,” Audrey said in exasperation. “I’ve been going out with Percy for months, long before you approached him to supply information. I’ve been working in the Finance Section continually since I joined the Ministry and have risen through the ranks gradually. This isn’t some set up.”

“You can see why we’re so sceptical, though,” Ginny pointed out.

“Yes, I can,” Audrey admitted, “but, trust me, I’ve been waiting for an opportunity like this for ages. One of the things that drew me to Percy in the first place was his honesty. He stood out like a sore thumb in the cesspool that’s the Ministry.”

“Honesty?” Ginny snorted. “He did tell you how we dragged him into this, didn’t he?”

“Oh, grow up, you stupid little girl,” Audrey snapped. “Everyone in the whole bloody Ministry takes bribes. Percy, however, has never done anything that would endanger life or discredit the Ministry, which is a damn sight more than ninety per cent of people there. Most Ministry workers are out to make some quick and easy cash and don’t care who gets hurt by them doing it.”

“Don’t make it sound like it’s a universal thing,” Ginny retorted. “There’s still some good people in the Ministry. My father has never taken a bribe in his life!”

“Which is why he still works in a minor and unimportant office after all his years of service,” Percy pointed out mildly. “I respect his honest, Ginevra, I really do, but he’s really just hurting himself by doing it.”

“How can you say that?” Ginny gasped. “You think that he should have compromised his ideals just to make a few Galleons on the side, do you?”

“No, what I’m saying is that his gesture is futile. Do you really think that by refusing to play the game he’s made the slightest bit of difference to how the Ministry is run? No, he’s achieved nothing other than hurt himself and the rest of our family,” Percy retorted with surprising heat. “Did you ever wonder why Dad had to work on so many Christmas Days? Why he always seemed to be given weekend duties? Didn’t you ever stop to think why all the other kids whose fathers worked at the Ministry got new clothes and books, and we had to make do with second-hand items? Didn’t you ever hear Mum cry herself to sleep at night because she was so worried about making ends meet? Dad’s ethical stance might have been commendable, but it was also bloody stupid.”

Ginny stared at her brother in shock. Suddenly all the arguments that Percy and her dad had had in the last few years became understandable. For the first time, she began to wonder if Percy didn’t actually have a point.

“Is the Ministry really so bad?” Harry asked in a shocked voice. “Can it really not function at all without bribes and backhanders?”

“I’m sorry to say, Mr Potter, that it can’t,” Audrey said sympathetically. “To stamp it out you’d literally have to rebuild the whole Ministry from the ground up. But tell me, do you really think the Muggle Government is any better?”

“Maybe a bit better,” Harry shrugged. “I don’t know; they’re certainly less blatant about it.”

“So, you’re criticising the Ministry of Magic for being a bit more transparent about these things?” Audrey asked with a sad smile.

Harry sighed. “I guess it would be a bit stupid,” he replied. “It doesn’t make it right, though.”

“No, no it doesn’t,” Audrey agreed. “Which is why I’m trying to do something about the worst of it. The documents I’ve brought with me today prove that Cornelius Fudge is virtually in the pocket of Lucius Malfoy.”

Percy nodded. “I know a lot of people are suspicious of Malfoy, despite the Minister declaring him innocent of all charges after the last war. I must confess that I believed the man was acting under duress previously, but our findings have completely changed my mind.”

“The man is basically pushing You-Know-Who’s philosophy via the back door,” Audrey continued. “While no one single act would cause suspicion by itself, if you put everything together it’s clear Malfoy wholeheartedly believes in the Dark Lord’s ideas and practices.”

“It was pretty easy to tie together the bribes that were paid with specific bits of legislation that happened to be approved at around the same time. The size of the payments even matched the importance of the regulation that was effected. The Minister must have been insane if he thought that the links wouldn’t be discovered by a thorough investigation,” Percy said, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Or that he was just too arrogant to believe anyone would question him,” Ginny speculated. “So, exactly what sort of ‘favours’ has Fudgy been doing for Malfoy?”

“Basically, anything that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named would approve of,” Audrey snorted. “Pardons for former Death Eaters, additional rights for pure-bloods, restrictions on Magical Creatures, laws allowing the Ministry to bypass statutory legal rights. Hell, I bet they would have made Muggle-hunting legal if they thought they could get away with it!”

“If You-Know-Who was still alive, he would be immensely pleased with Lucius Malfoy,” Percy spat.

“He’s not dead,” Harry said automatically.

“What?” Audrey exclaimed.

“I said, he’s not dead,” Harry repeated. “He exists in spirit-form at present, but he’s trying to get his body back. Sooner or later, he’s going to succeed, and when he does, things are going to get nasty pretty quickly.”

“But he… oh, Merlin! What Dumbledore was saying about him returning at the end of the Triwizard Tournament was true, wasn’t it!” Percy gasped.

“No, not exactly,” Harry disagreed. “Voldemort tried to get his body back, but failed. It’s not the first time he’s attempted it, either.”

“But why did you disagree with Dumbledore, then? If you knew this was happening, why didn’t you try and warn people when you have the chance?” Audrey asked accusingly.

“Because it would have made no difference,” Ginny leapt in angrily. “If the Wizarding world knew Voldemort wasn’t really dead and was seeking to return, what do you think they would do? I’ll tell you: nothing! They would stick their heads in the sand and pretended it wasn’t true.”

“They would have accused me of being a delusional liar, too,” Harry added. “I know first-hand how quick people are to believe any made-up crap about the Boy Who Lived. Just look at what’s happening to Dumbledore now, and he was a popular figure. I’d have been crucified if I’d suggested Voldemort was coming back.”

“And what happens if Voldemort does come back?” Audrey demanded.

“Then hopefully we’ll be ready for him by that point,” Ginny said calmly.

Percy and Audrey looked at each other solemnly for a second. It looked like some sort of silent argument was raging between the two of them. Evidently, it was an argument that Audrey won because Percy broke eye-contact first and looked over at Ginny with a slight flush to his cheeks.

“Okay, we’re in,” Percy declared. “Whatever you need us to do, we’ll help.”

“Thank you, both,” Ginny said warmly. “If you can supply those documents detailing the bribes Fudge has accepted, then you’ll already have made a massive difference.”

Audrey reached into her coat and withdrew a thick wodge of parchment which she handed to Ginny.

“One word of advice, though,” Audrey said as she passed the documents to her. “No matter how tempting it is, do not use this evidence to go after Malfoy directly. It won’t work.”

“Why?” Harry asked curiously.

“Malfoy has too much support within the Ministry and, frankly, the vast majority of the Wizengamot wouldn’t think he’d done anything wrong by offering these bribes,” Percy explained. “Oh, they might be upset at the size and purpose of them, but far too many of them use monetary means to get what they want themselves. They might not like Malfoy, but they’d defend his methods to the hilt.”

“If you’re going to use this information, go after Fudge,” Audrey advised, “no Minister should be completely owned by one paymaster and if the Wizengamot got wind of just how much he’s accepted over the years from Malfoy, they’ll hang him out to dry.”

“Okay, I see we’re going to have to give this some thought,” Ginny mused. “We’ll probably sit on this stuff until the right moment. It would serve little purpose to get Fudge kicked out now, only to have someone else equally bad replace him.”

“You have a promising career in politics ahead of you, Ginevra,” Percy said, smiling affectionately at his sister. “Right, if that’s all for the moment, Audrey and I had better go. When you need to speak to me again send a message to our flat.”

“Percy,” Ginny called as her brother and his fiancé stood to leave.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Don’t lose that girl,” Ginny said pointing to Audrey. “She’s definitely a keeper.”

“I don’t intend to,” Percy said smiling widely. “Until later, Ginevra, Harry.”

After they left, Harry turned to Ginny. “What do you think?” he asked.

“I think we’d be best served by keeping this information in reserve until we need it, “she replied thoughtfully. “But right now I think I need to get out of this filthy place and take a bath.”

“Need someone to scrub your back?” Harry asked hopefully.

“Pervert!” Ginny laughed, slapping him on the arm. She didn’t turn down his offer of help, however.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“So, shouldn’t we make a start?” Harry asked nervously.

Ginny looked around the table at the small assembled group. This would be their last chance to get together before the next term started, and they needed to make plans. Unfortunately, their usual leader seemed a bit distracted.

“I said, shall we get started, Sirius?” Harry repeated loudly.

“What? Oh, yes. Carry on, Harry,” Sirius replied absently.

“Are you okay?” Tonks asked her cousin. “You seem a bit… out of it.”

“No, I’m fine,” he replied. “I just haven’t been sleeping too well in the last few days. But really, I’m okay. Let’s crack on.”

“Alright,” Harry said, giving his godfather a strange look. “Who wants to kick off, then?”

“I might as well start,” Remus piped up. “I’m still concerned about this Umbridge woman who’ll be teaching at Hogwarts next year. If half of what Sirius has found out about her is true then she’s a nasty piece of work.”

“I know most of the Administration witches at the Ministry are terrified of her,” Tonks agreed. “I couldn’t get anyone to talk about her and normally that bunch will gossip about anything.”

“I don’t think we have to worry too much,” Ginny ventured. “After our little visit to her a few weeks ago, I think Dolores thinks Harry and I are a godsend. I’m more worried about what she’ll do to any other pupils that step out of line.”

“Yeah, I’d put money on her having a nasty streak,” Harry agreed. “There was just something about her that gave me the willies.”

“Well, if we’re going to follow the plan we’ll need her at Hogwarts,” Ginny pointed out. “We need Umbridge to start reeling in Dumbledore and limiting his powers. I don’t want our esteemed Headmaster being able to convince the Ministry that he should take over guardianship of Harry or something. If the name Albus Dumbledore becomes a dirty word it will be that much harder for him to play his stupid games.”

“With all the ammunition we handed Umbridge, I’m sure Albus will be too busy fighting her off to have time to mess with you two,” Sirius ventured. “Still, I think we could do with a bit of dirt on her, just so we can be sure she stays in line.”

“I’m sure Percy and Audrey will be happy to help,” Ginny said brightly. “I’ll send them an owl as soon as we’re finished here.”

“I’d certainly feel a lot happier if we had a contingency plan to deal with her if she becomes unruly,” Remus agreed. “If your brother can come up anything half as incriminating as the evidence he found against Fudge I’ll be happy.”

“Okay, while we are discussing contingency plans, what do we do if Dumbledore starts making a pain of himself?” Harry asked.

“I’m still your legal guardian, Harry, and nothing Dumbledore can do will change that,” Sirius insisted. “Just make sure you have your communication mirror with you at all times and if Albus looks like he’s about to pull something give me a shout.”

“Remember, Harry, Albus no longer has any legal rights over you, at all. The only authority he has over you is that of Headmaster which means he can only legislate to you on matters regarding your education. He might try and suggest otherwise, but if he tries to make you do anything not related to school activities, politely refuse and walk away,” Remus advised.

“And even his authority on school matters is limited,” Sirius added. “He still has to obey the same rules as everyone else. If he does anything you think is out of line, contact me and I can always bring the matter to the attention of the school governors. Word has it that they are already pretty pissed-off at Dumbledore to start with. It wouldn’t take much for them to come down on him like a ton of bricks.”

“And if he does step out of line, we can always suggest to the governors that Dumbledore is angry at Harry for not backing him up in the press at the end of last term,” Ginny pointed out. “He’ll just look like he’s being petty and vindictive.”

“Nice touch,” Tonks said appreciatively.

“Why, thank you,” Ginny said with a grin. “I do try.”

“And with such style, as well,” Tonks said, winking at the younger girl. “So, with Albus side-lined, do you two think you’ll have any trouble keeping up your training next term?”

“The only problem I foresee is location,” Harry mused. “Even if I could persuade Professor McGonagall to let us keep using that abandoned classroom, I don’t think it’s up to the job anymore. Our spells have come on a lot since we started last year and we need somewhere we can effectively shield. Somewhere a bit more private would be a good idea, too.”

“Sorry, is this for training or for snogging?” Tonks teased.

“I can multi-task,” Ginny smirked.

“Oh! Oh! Master Harry Potter, Sir!” Dobby interrupted enthusiastically. “You’s can use the Come and Go room!”

“The what?” Harry asked in confusion.

“The Come and Go Room,” the little elf repeated. “It is a secret room that only a fews people is knowing about. It is a very clever place and can become anything you needs. Dobby can come back to Hogwarts and show you, sir.”

“Sounds promising,” Ginny acknowledged. “That would be great. Will you have any problem getting back into Hogwarts next term, Dobby?”

“No, Miss Ginny,” The elf said confidently. “The other elves know Dobby. They have no problems with him visiting.”

“Sounds like that little problem is taken care of,” Harry acknowledged. “But I can name another one I don’t think will be sorted so easily: Horcruxes.”

The assembled group collectively sighed in frustration. Harry had been extremely insistent that they start researching possible locations for the vile objects and had driven them to start working on the project. While none of them would deny the importance of the task, the sheer difficulty of the problem tended to put them off. Harry had cracked the whip, however, and they had begun to compile a list of objects and locations to be investigated. Most of their ideas, however, were pure guess work.

“I know we didn’t achieve as much as you hoped…” Ginny began.

“As much as I hoped? We didn’t achieve anything!” Harry protested.

“We’ve made a start,” Remus disagreed, “and while you and Ginny are back at Hogwarts the rest of us will continue the work. Hopefully, we’ll be able to start scouting out locations, soon.”

“I just think this is the most important task ahead of us and we should give it more priority,” Harry insisted.

“Our most important task was making sure we could defend ourselves,” Ginny argued, “and that meant defending our minds as well as our bodies. The training in Occlumency was our first priority and increasing our duelling skills was a close second.”

“I’m not saying that stuff wasn’t important, I just think we should have spent more time looking into the Horcruxes,” he maintained.

“Harry, our summer holidays were just over two months long. In that time you’ve learnt Occlumency, been trained in duelling by a qualified Auror, learnt over a dozen new spells and hexes, have been tutored in Transfiguration and Charms by an actual Professor, kept up your fitness regime and started to learn how to Apparate. In addition to that lot, we’ve put together a plan to reduce Dumbledore’s influence over you, obtained spies in the Ministry and in the Order, not to mention accidentally rid the world of the vilest journalist ever know. Now, unless you’ve got a Time-Turner in your pocket, I don’t see how you could possibly have achieved anymore in that time!” Ginny said in exasperation.

“Yeah, and not to mention you got yourself a load of snazzy new clothes and got to snog your beautiful girlfriend loads,” Tonks pointed out. “Really, Harry, I think you’re expecting miracles here.”

“Maybe,” Harry acknowledged meekly. “As daft as it sounds, I almost resent having to go back to Hogwarts. I sort of feel like I don’t have time for it, you know?”

“You need a rounded education, Harry,” Remus insisted. “What we’ve taught you here was pretty specialised and mainly combat orientated. You need to learn all branches of magic, not just those that will help you in a fight.”

“Remember, Harry, it took years for Voldemort to gather the strength to return after he lost his body the first time. You don’t have to do everything overnight,” Ginny reminded him.

“I guess,” Harry admitted in defeat. “It’s just hard to be patient when I know he’s still out there somewhere. I just wish I had the tools to defeat him right now.”

“A lot of things have to happen before we get to that stage,” Ginny pointed out meaningfully.

Harry looked at her for a moment before understanding flooded into his eyes. “Oh, yeah, I guess you’re right,” he murmured. “It’s not all going to happen overnight, is it?”

“No, but don’t worry. We’ll get it all sorted,” Ginny assured him.

“Okay, anything anyone else wants to bring up? Sirius, how about you?” Harry asked. “Sirius?”

“Hmm? Oh, no, I’ve got nothing else to add,” Sirius said, slightly shamefaced.

“Right, in that case I guess we’ll all get together again at Christmas,” Harry announced. “Merlin, that sounds a long time away.”

“It’s only about four months away,” Tonks pointed out. “Just enough time for you to shop for all the expensive prezzies you’re going to buy me!”

“Was that a subtle hint?” Harry laughed. “Sorry, Tonks, my lovely girlfriend would get jealous if I showered anyone else with gifts other than her.”

“Nah, as long as it was cool stuff I could borrow,” Ginny smirked.

“Sirius, how much did you say I had left in my vault at Gringotts? I have a feeling it’s going to be an expensive Christmas,” Harry lamented.

Ginny and Tonks just grinned evilly.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Exc ellent, I haven’t been able to enter your mind all morning. I think you’ve just about mastered this skill,” Eva praised Harry.

“Thanks, Eva. I must admit I’ve been sleeping a lot better lately, thanks to you. Learning Occlumency has to be about the best thing I’ve ever done,” Harry admitted gratefully.

“It’s what I’m paid for,” Eva said dismissively. “But it’s been a pleasure teaching such wonderful students as Ginny and yourself. I’m just glad that your new-found skills have been successful in keeping You-Know-Who out of your mind.”

Ginny watched her intimidating teacher with a mixture of gratitude and apprehension. There was no denying that the woman was a talented instructor and, once you got to know her, she was a wonderful person, too. But ever since the incident where she and Harry had witnessed the woman seducing Sirius, Ginny had been distinctly uncomfortable in her presence. The fact that Madam Eva kept trying to break into her mind and view her memories definitely didn’t help. Ginny shuddered to think what would happen if Eva discovered that she and Harry had been in the bedroom that afternoon.

“So, does this mean we won’t be seeing you anymore?” Harry asked sadly. Out of the pair of them, he had definitely taken to Madam Hagen the most.

“Actually, I was discussing this with your godfather the other day and we both agree that you should continue with your training. If it’s agreeable with Ginny and yourself, I will return during the Christmas holidays to test your shields and to start teaching you Legilimency,” Eva explained.

“Legilimency? Wow, that would be great!” Harry said enthusiastically. “That would be brilliant, don’t you think, Ginny?”

“Yeah, that would be really useful,” Ginny agreed.

“I’m glad you agree… Legilimens!” Eva yelled without warning.

She had been springing surprise tests like this on the pair of them all week. Generally, Ginny had held up well under their teacher’s unexpected attacks, but this time she was caught completely unaware. Eva slipped neatly through her unprepared shields and into her recent memories and, sadly, there was one thing that Ginny was generally reminded of in Eva’s presence these days.

“Oh, crap,” Ginny moaned as Eva ransacked her memories. She could almost feel her teacher flinch as she encountered THAT memory.

Madam Eva’s wand dropped from her suddenly numb fingers and she stared at Ginny in horror. Ginny couldn’t meet the woman’s gaze and quickly lowered her eyes.

“Oh, shit,” exclaimed Harry, who had obviously realised what had happened.

“Indeed,” Madam Eva agreed in a trembling voice. She staggered a few steps and sat down on a nearby chair heavily. She then put her hands over her face and began to sob.

Ginny stared at the woman in shock. This was most certainly not the reaction she had expected from her imposing teacher and it rather alarmed her. Harry was looking at the crying woman in consternation.

“Eva… are you alright?” he asked hesitantly. Eva didn’t answer however and just continued to weep.

“We didn’t mean to spy on you,” Ginny said earnestly. “Honestly, we had no idea you were going to come into that room.”

Eva drew a rasping breath and sniffled. She wiped at her eyes with the cuff of her blouse and looked up at them.

“I’m sorry,” she moaned. “I know I shouldn’t have done it. Please don’t report me; I’ll lose everything if they take my license away.”

Harry glanced over at Ginny with a frown on his face. Ginny could only shrug in confusion. Why was Eva apologising? Surely, it should be them apologising to her for inadvertently spying on her. Unless…

“Madam Eva, was Sirius really having fantasies about you, or did you just say that to make him think he was?” Ginny asked shrewdly.

“He was thinking a little about me,” Eva said hopefully, before her face crumbled, “but not what I would call fantasising, exactly. I admit that I just planted the notion in his mind that he desired me.”

“Madam Eva!” Harry exclaimed in shock.

“Please do not judge me too harshly, I beg of you, Harry,” Eva sobbed. “For a woman like me to attract a handsome lover like your godfather is unheard of, and I confess I lusted after Sirius the moment I set eyes on him. I wanted him so badly I… I… cheated.”

“Oh, Eva,” Ginny said in disappointment.

“I didn’t think I was doing any harm,” Eva said hastily. “Sirius did genuinely have a problem performing after his time in Azkaban. I could see in his mind his acute embarrassment and worry at his failure to perform with that wench he picked up a couple of months ago. I thought that I could help him gain his confidence back and get what I wanted at the same time. Unfortunately, it seems to have backfired on me.”

“Why?” Ginny asked curiously.

“Because I have stupidly gone and fallen in love with Sirius,” Eva explained.

“Blimey,” Harry exclaimed.

“Have you told Sirius this?” Ginny asked.

“No, he… he has been avoiding me. Even when we are in the same room together it’s like I’m not there. I obviously revolt him,” Eva wailed.

“I don’t know about that,” Harry said dubiously. “He seems to be treating everyone like that at present. It’s like he’s a million miles away half the time. Whatever his reaction is to you at the moment, I don’t think it revulsion.”

“You’re just saying that,” Eva sobbed. “Why would a man like him ever look twice at a brute of a woman like me?”

“Because if there is one thing my godfather is, it’s a non-conformist,” Harry said sternly. “Eva, you did a terrible thing by deceiving him, but I do understand that your heart was in the right place.”

Ginny felt a sudden stab of guilt. Harry could well have been describing the early days of their relationship when she had tried to manipulate him. True, she’d only had Harry’s best interests at heart, but she had still been less than truthful.

“Go to Sirius and tell him what you did and why,” Harry insisted. “Be truthful about your feelings. He’ll probably be angry at you for tricking him, but I suspect he’ll forgive you pretty soon.”

“And what about my relationship with your godfather?” Eva asked. “Do you think there is any chance he might want me?”

“I don’t know,” Harry admitted. “But I do know you’re a wonderful person and from what little I reluctantly saw the other night, you two certainly seemed to be enjoying yourselves. I will tell you one thing, though, Eva: he’s lonely. He desperately needs a woman in his life and personally I’d love it if it was you.”

Eva broke down in tears again but this time she stood and flung her arms around Harry.

“Thank you, you sweet, sweet, boy,” she gasped through her tears. “I have no right to hope for anything, but I would love to be a part of your little family, Harry.”

Harry hugged the large woman back. “Me, too,” he told her.

Ginny watched the pair with her eyes glistening. Once again, Harry had pulled his old trick of completely surprising her. To him, it didn’t matter a jot what Eva looked like. She had shown him kindness and proved to him that she was a good person, and to Harry that was all that mattered. At that moment, Ginny felt herself falling in love with him all over again.

After a while, Eva’s crying stopped and she pulled herself together. She accepted the offer of Harry’s handkerchief and wiped her eyes. Squaring her shoulders, she looked down on the young man.

“Thank you, Harry,” she said earnestly. “I will take your advice and go and talk to Sirius. Even if he says he never wants to see me again at least we will both know the truth. But I must say this to you, Harry; I know you have a hard road ahead of you and must face a terrible foe, but I’m behind you completely. Whenever you or Ginny need my help, just ask and I will do whatever I can. You have my word on this.”

“Thank you, Eva,” Harry said affectionately.

“You’re welcome,” she replied. “Right, there is no point putting this off. I will go and seek Sirius immediately.”

And with that Eva strode towards the door purposely. Just as she was about to leave the room she momentarily looked back.

“Wish me luck,” she said hopefully.

“Definitely,” Harry assured her.

“Yeah, I hope it goes well,” Ginny added.

The German woman nodded gratefully and hurried out the room. Ginny looked over at Harry who was stood looking apprehensive.

“Do you think she has a hope?” Ginny asked him.

“I hope so,” Harry replied. “But, truthfully, I haven’t got a clue how Sirius will react. I hope he gives Eva a chance, I really do.”

Ginny walked over to her boyfriend and pulled him into a passionate kiss. By the time their lips parted they were both gasping for breath.

“Wow! What was that for?” Harry asked with a wide smile on his face.

“For being you,” Ginny replied and hugged him even tighter.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Flourish and Blotts? Why would I want to go there? I’ve got all my books for next year. Can’t I go to Quality Quidditch Supplies instead?” Ron moaned.

Ginny gritted her teeth and she suspected she wasn’t the only Weasley to have that reaction at that moment. Ron had been a complete pain from the moment he’d woken up that morning. His constant stream of complaints and abuse had put everyone on edge, which had probably been his intention all along. The twins were glaring at their younger brother with murder in their eyes and even their mother seemed to be contemplating drawing her wand.

“Yes, alright, Ronald,” Molly Weasley agreed, to everyone’s relief. “But be back at the Leaky Cauldron before twelve, understand?”

“Yeah, I heard,” Ron shrugged and wandered off in the general direction of the Quidditch shop. There was a collective sigh of relief from his remaining family members.

“Actually, Mum, we don’t really need any new books, either,” George said. “Between Charlie and Percy’s old ones, we’re sorted.”

“We do need new robes, though,” Fred reminded their mother. “Mine are nearly above my knees, now.”

“Oh, well, it can’t be avoided,” Molly sighed. “We’ll head over to Madam Malkin’s next.”

“Why don’t I go and get my books while you’re buying robes?” Ginny asked. “I promised I won’t leave Flourish and Blotts.”

For a second, Molly looked conflicted but fortunately she was saved from making a decision by the cries of an enthusiastic young woman.

“Ginny! There you are! I’ve been looking all over for you!” said a bushy-haired young witch who appeared out of nowhere and threw her arms around Ginny.

“Hermione! I should have guessed you’d be somewhere near a bookshop,” Ginny laughed.

“You know me too well,” Hermione agreed. “Hello, Mrs Weasley. How are you?”

“Hello, Hermione dear, I’m very well. Oh, and your parents are here, too, I see,” Molly said, indicating to the nervous pair of Muggles who were loitering near the entrance to the bookshop and observing their daughter guardedly.

“Mum, if Mr and Mrs Granger are here, surely you can leave me here for a bit, can’t you?” Ginny pointed out.

“I suppose so,” Molly acknowledged. “But don’t go wandering off anywhere else, alright?”

“No problems,” Ginny agreed. “If you run into Harry and Sirius tell them where we are, okay?”

“Naturally,” Molly smirked before heading off with the twins in tow.

“So, you haven’t seen Harry yet?” Hermione asked as they started walking towards the bookshop.

“Nah, but it’s still a bit early for Sirius to be up and about,” Ginny said. “I’m sure he only does it to annoy Harry.”

“Probably,” Hermione sniggered as they approached her parents. “That does sound like something Sirius would do.”

“Hi, Mr and Mrs Granger,” Ginny greeted her friend’s parents warmly. She almost sighed audibly as she as in turn received frosty glares.

“Ginny said hello,” Hermione told her parents forcibly. “It would be polite if you replied to her.”

“Don’t take that tone with me, young lady,” Jane Granger scolded her daughter.

“Well, stop acting like a pair of five-year-olds,” Hermione raged. “This has been going on all summer and I’m sick of it!”

“You watch your tongue, Hermione Jean!” John Granger warned her. “You show some respect for your mother.”

“I’ll show respect when you start listening to me and stop treating me like some lovesick little puppy,” Hermione snapped back.

“Hermione, do you mind if I speak to your parents alone for five minutes?” Ginny asked.

“What?” Hermione exclaimed in surprise. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I think it would be for the best,” Ginny assured her.

“Alright, I’ll just be inside,” Hermione agreed, evidently to her parents’ great surprise. “I’ll see you in a few minutes.

As soon as Hermione had vanished inside Flourish and Blotts, Ginny turned to face the Grangers. They stared back at her with unfriendly expressions on their faces.

“Why don’t you trust your daughter?” Ginny asked abruptly.

“What are you talking about?” John Granger barked. “Of course we trust our daughter. It’s some of her friends we’re not so sure about.”

“So, you don’t actually trust Hermione to pick her own friends, then?” Ginny retorted.

“Hermione is still a young girl and not very worldly,” Jane Granger replied in a cold voice. “As her parents, it’s up to us to protect her from those that would take advantage of her or hurt her.”

“Really? And how do you know anyone is trying to hurt her? What evidence do you have of that? The only way you know what’s going on in Hermione’s life during school time is via her letters, in other words, what she tells you. So, when she tells you that she and Harry were never romantically interested in each other, why don’t you believe her?” Ginny asked coolly.

“Don’t give me that!” snapped Jane Granger. “I think I know my own daughter, thank you very much, and I can tell she’s been heartbroken all summer. I don’t need some little tart coming up to me and telling me otherwise.”

“And why do you assume its Harry she’s heartbroken about?” Ginny asked, ignoring the older woman’s insult for the moment.

“Well… it’s obvious, isn’t it?” Jane replied, although she suddenly sounded a little less certain of herself.

“Really, is it?” Ginny said, letting a little sarcasm creep into her voice. “Tell me, have you noticed that Hermione hasn’t had any letters from her other best friend, my brother Ron? Don’t you think that’s a bit unusual?”

“I assumed they’d had a fight,” Jane replied. “They’re always fighting.”

“They certainly used to,” Ginny confirmed, “when they were still friends, anyway. Let me put something to you; imagine that Hermione really liked a boy, but he’d never shown her any affection, despite that fact that she knew fairly certainly that he liked her back. How do you think she’d treat him?”

“Why, she’d probably tell the foolish boy exactly what she thought of him,” John told her. “She speaks her mind, does my Hermione.”

“She does at that,” Ginny agreed. “But as you said earlier, she’s not exactly worldly, is she? So imagine she’s too unsure of herself to come out and tell this boy exactly how she felt about him. How would she treat him then?”

Jane Granger groaned and her shoulders slumped. Her husband looked at her in alarm.

“Jane? What’s the matter dear” he asked.

“Oh, John, we’ve made a massive mistake,” she moaned.

“What?” John exclaimed in confusion.

“It wasn’t Harry that Hermione has been pining over, it was that Weasley boy,” Jane told him in a resigned voice.

“Ron Weasley?” John gasped. “But in her letters Hermione’s always criticising that boy. She’s always saying how frustrated and annoying he is and… oh.”

The penny dropped and John Granger’s expression suddenly matched his wife’s.

“Hermione thinks of Harry as a brother,” Ginny told them gently. “She really loves him, but only as a sibling would. It was my brother that she’s been carrying a torch for. Sadly, Ron did something very stupid last year and it completely destroyed the relationship between them. Hermione had always hoped that Ron would grow up a bit and mature into the boy of her dreams, but his actions proved that’s just never going to happen. That’s why Hermione’s been upset.”

“And we’ve been keeping her away from her friends when she’s needed them the most,” Jane gasped. “Oh, she must hate us.”

“Hermione has a great heart,” Ginny assured them. “Just apologise to her for not believing her and I’m sure things will settle down eventually. That was probably the thing that hurt her the most, I imagine; that her parents wouldn’t trust her when she told them what was going on.”

“What about that foreign lad?” John asked frowning. “What was all that about, then?”

“Oh, Viktor? He just really liked Hermione and I think she was quite intrigued by him,” Ginny explained. “Sadly, I don’t think it would ever work, though. Viktor is a bit old for her and, of course, lives in Bulgaria. I don’t think any relationship would survive that separation.”

“So, Hermione didn’t just go out with this boy just to make Ron or Harry jealous?” John asked cautiously.

“John!” Jane exclaimed in horror. “How can you accuse our daughter of that?”

“I’m just worried about her,” John admitted. “Hermione’s changed so much since she started attending that school that sometimes I barely recognise my little girl.”

“She’s growing up, Mr Granger,” Ginny told him. “That would happen no matter what school she went to. But trust me; Hermione is the last person you want to worry about having loose morals. She’s a kind, considerate person, but she has her head screwed on, too. I’m not saying she won’t make mistakes, she yearned after Ron for long enough for example, but that’s all part of growing up. You need to learn to trust her.”

John and Jane Granger looked at each other in consternation.

“Ginny!” a voice called suddenly, making them all jump.

“Harry,” Ginny called back as soon as she caught sight of her raven-haired boyfriend hurrying towards her.

As soon as he reached her, he threw his arms around her and pulled her into a kiss. She giggled at his enthusiastic welcome.

“Harry, it’s only been a couple of days since you saw me,” she laughed, “you’re acting like it was years!”

“It’s been too long for me, anyway,” he grinned, before suddenly sobering as he caught sight of Hermione’s parents. “Oh, hello, Mr and Mrs Granger. Is Hermione about?”

“Hello, Harry,” Jane Granger replied. “Yes, she’s in the bookshop. I think she’s looking forward to seeing you.”

“Oh, good,” Harry replied uncertainly, evidently surprised at the friendly welcome he was receiving. “I’ll just go in and find her, then.”

“Yes, that’s a good idea,” John replied. “We’ll wait out here so you two can catch-up”

“Err… thanks,” Harry replied, even more confused. “Coming, Ginny?”

“Yeah, I need to pick up a few books and no doubt Hermione will need a hand in carrying all her purchases,” Ginny said smiling.

“You’re probably right,” Harry said, grinning back. He took her hand and began to lead her into the shop. Just as they were entering a voice called to them.

“Ginny?” Jane Granger called.

“Yes, Mrs Granger?” she replied, turning to face the woman.

“Thank you,” Jane said earnestly.

“No problems,” Ginny replied, before she and Harry entered the book shop in search of their bushy-haired friend.








Reviews 213
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear