Search:

SIYE Time:18:42 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Time War
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Intimate Sexual Situations, Mental Abuse, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use
Rating: R
Reviews: 15
Summary: REPUBLISHED 5/2014
The final story in the Continuum/Ranimer/Growing Up with Mum and Dad arc. Can the Marauders and their children stop time from spiraling out of control or unleashing a fate worse than Voldemort in time? Please read the previous stories first so the time-travel aspects make sense.
Hitcount: Story Total: 64707; Chapter Total: 2682







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 9:
Christmas Revelations

December 21, 1976
Potter Manor


“Why do I always find you in libraries?” Sirius quizzed Anwen as he strode into the Potter library. Anwen had been awaiting Sirius and James’ return from school since early this morning, and she was thrilled now that they’d finally come home for the Christmas holiday. The last three days had moved at a snails pace. She enjoyed the company of her new Aunt Julia and Uncle Andrew, but she really wanted the company of her...well of her Sirius.

The mahogany barrel chair scraped against the floor as Anwen pushed herself away from the huge centre table and quickly rose to skip-jump-dance her way over to her best friend and soulmate. “Because I love books!” she answered enthusiastically before leaping into his open and waiting arms. They both breathed an audible sigh of relief to feel the other, and Sirius held her so tightly he lifted her up, creating several inches of air between her feet and the floor. The height difference between them was growing daily, and Anwen was somewhat unhappy at it. Aunt Julia had told her it was likely they’d always have close to a foot between, given what she knew of his family and hers.

Sirius pulled his face back just inches, and looked deeply into her eyes before he set her down on her feet, kept his hold on her waist, leaned down and kissed her. Kissing was something Sirius was well acquainted with, as he was with the full frontal snog and everything else which led up to sex. It wasn’t exactly something he was proud of, but it was a fact of his life. Olivia Nott had gotten her hands on him the summer before his fourth year, only a year after his father had taken him to a brothel and given him a nymph for his thirteenth birthday. Those two encounters damned him to have a rotten and twisted view of anything sexual, and he was notorious in ways he felt ashamed of deep within his soul. He also knew he was kissing someone who was as innocent as he was experienced. He only wished he’d known she was to be his sooner, he might have denied the longings of the flesh and the demented use of sex his family had taught him.

Anwen had only kissed one boy before Sirius had put his lips on hers three days ago. It was the summer after her first year, and she was cast in a West End musical production through her singing school. The boy who played her older brother kissed her, he was thirteen to her twelve. He sort of lunged at her, made contact and then backed away. The entire event might have lasted ten seconds, before he ran off. Kissing Sirius was wholly different. As his lips moved over hers, she felt as if she knew exactly what to do, how to slide along his mouth, how to twist her head. If you were to ask her, this was more magical than the Transfigurations she’d been reading about moments ago. Something in Anwen stirred, something ancient yet timeless. It was as if her heart and soul, no the very cells of her body remembered some previous intimacy with his heart and soul.

Anwen’s entire body felt supercharged with magic, frantically trying to find a way out. When he moved his mouth away from her, so they could breathe, she let need overtake her and pulled him back to her, her small arms going around him to anchor them together. His lips needed to be on hers; she was incomplete without him.

Sirius was surprised by Anwen’s enthusiasm, but wasn’t going to argue. When he barely touched her lips on Sunday, something stirred deeply within, something he had sworn was dead; his heart. Kissing her wasn’t like anything he’d been acquainted with; she was like air or food. She was a necessity. Never had an encounter with a girl made his heart race, Anwen made his entire being feel alive. The two were lost in their own world, their kisses were gentle and innocent, but insistent and needy. When the two finally did stop, their depleted lungs causing them to gasp, he noticed something rather strange; they were floating three feet off the ground.

“Anwen, did you do this?” he asked while panting much like his animagus alter-ego did after running around the Forbidden Forest.

“Do what?” she replied dreamily, taking deep breaths to overcome the prolonged moments her mouth had been otherwise occupied.

“Er, this,” he said, pointing down with one hand, the other caressing her cheek. The couple were surrounded by a giant bubble which had them floating well above the floor. They’d moved from the doorway to the windows, halfway across the large room.

“Oh, crap!” Anwen’s bright laughter combined with Sirius’ just before the bubble burst and they both fell. He did what he could to protect her, but unfortunately most of his weight ended up on her small frame. A crunching noise came from her lower leg. Their crash into the chairs alerted the others and soon the door was pulled open and Mrs Potter rushed in.

“What in the blazes happened in here? Why are you two in a heap on the floor?” It was only then that she noticed Anwen was holding her ankle. “Are you alright, dear?”

“I came in to tell her we’d arrived,” Sirius said rather sheepishly. “And, well, as I was greeting her, she sort of made a bubble thing and we were floating around the room.” He was nervously rubbing his neck, avoiding making eye contact with either James or his father. “I think I hurt her when we fell.”

“What exactly were you doing to welcome her, Padfoot?” Prongs teased. The young couple shot their friend nasty looks.

Mrs Potter knelt down to look at Anwen’s ankle, which the girl was still rubbing. Sirius stayed next to his girl, his hands protectively on her shoulders. He wanted to make sure she was fine, but more than that, he didn’t want to break the physical connection with her.

“So what you’re saying, Sirius,” Mr Potter began. “Is that while you were embracing Anwen, she created a bubble and you two were floating?” He sounded amused and interested, but not in a rude way. James conversely continued to snigger in the background.

“Yes, sir, I’d say we were three feet or so off the ground,” Sirius answered.

“Astounding! Anwen, if you do not mind telling me, what exactly were you thinking about when this happened?” the old man asked.

Anwen turned six shades of red before answering. “I was thinking about how nice it felt, and how I wished we could just stay alone in our little bubble.” The words were spoken quickly and rather quietly.

“I bet it felt good,” James mumbled under his breath.

“James Andrew Potter,” Mrs Potter said quickly in her ‘strict mum’ voice, “so help me if you tease your new sister or best mate about this...I do not need to let you invite your friends over for New Years. Am I understood?”

“Yes, Mum.”

“Anwen, dear, your grandmother warned us about this. Just like a small child, you’re going to experience some accidental magic. Now that you have started your lessons with her, I suspect the stronger the emotion you feel, the more dramatic the representation will be,” Mr Potter explained.

“So, this was just the beginning?”

“I suspect so,” he answered. The man offered her a hand up, which she took. “Do not fret though, I promise that your aunt and I will always make sure you are safe. This house can stand up to quite a bit of magic without damage. It was built that way,” he explained before hugging her.

“Thank you, Uncle Andrew. Thanks too, Aunt Julia, my ankle feels better.”

“Next time you are going to snog, do it while you are seated, please.” Mrs Potter turned and left the young trio, glaring at her son as she left. Her husband left also, but only after lifting Anwen’s face by the chin and tapping her nose with his finger, which made her smile.

“Remind me not to be in the house the first time you shag,” James said and Anwen looked at him, horrified and her face turning even a deeper shade of red before she ran off toward the stairs.

Sirius punched his friend in the shoulder. “Why’d you do that to her? Take the mickey out of me all you want, but leave her out of this. We’ve only kissed, Prongs!”

“Yeah, from what I hear you’re quite skilled at it,” the fellow Marauder joked.

“Don’t remind me,” Sirius said sorrowfully. “Can you imagine what those girls are going to do to her when we go back? They’ll devour her alive!”

“You’re going to have to tell her, everything,” James concurred as he rubbed his shoulder.

“I know, but I was hoping to at least get a week of happiness before I had to bring it up.  I don’t want it to fuck us up. It’s not like I’m proud of my behaviour.”

“I’m glad to hear that. I was really getting sick of being around you and your potion-needing, come-and-fetch-me self.” Sirius was surprised to hear what his mate said. He’d never realised how it bothered James.

“Let’s get our trunks upstairs, and then I’ll check on her,” Sirius said. “We still going shopping this afternoon?” James nodded as he lifted his trunk and trudged up the stairs with it. Sirius, however, by nature of his being of age, simply levitated it before grabbing it by the handle and Disapparating to his room.

TW TW TW TW TW

“So, what are you thinking you’d like for Christmas,” Sirius asked Anwen as they strolled down Diagon Alley?

“Hmmm.” She had a glint in her eye. “You, chocolate, your kisses tasting like chocolate?”

“I think I can definitely take care of all three,” he whispered before leaning down to gently press his lips against hers. “Maybe we’ll have time to go over to my flat before the Potters come to collect us?” he said while his face was just inches from hers, their noses nearly touching in the cold. “I love kissing you breathless,” he whispered even more softly in her ear before kissing just behind her earlobe. She sucked in breath suddenly, eyes going wide.

“We could just scrap --”

“Padfoot, Prongs, over here,” a high, nasal voice beckoned. Sirius lifted his face away from Anwen’s to see Peter just coming through the passage from the Leaky Cauldron. He jogged over to where James was standing with Remus, several feet from the happy couple, at least attempting to give them some privacy. While they had every intention of teasing him relentlessly about it, James and Remus were thrilled their mate had finally gotten his head out of his arse and admitted he had romantic feelings for Anwen. They were happy for her, too, as they’d watched her suffer in silence for years. Peter was obviously not as courteous.

“Guess not,” Anwen said sadly. “Come on, I’ve never had money to shop with before, or at least not as much as I have today. I need gifts for James and Aunt Julia and Uncle Andrew, my grandmother and you. We can work together on the family ones, and then when Aunt Julia gets here I can get you something. We’ve also got to pick up my dress robes for the Twenty Families Ball.”

“Well, I will have the prettiest date in the entire room. Even better than Prongs here,” he joked as they joined the rest of the Marauders. Remus greeted Anwen, as did Peter, although his greeting was far less joyful. Sirius teased James that he was forced into taking his third cousin, twice removed, Calliope Crouch. She too was sixteen, and was also being presented this year. James considered it a family obligation, for while he really didn’t like the Ravenclaw, he wouldn’t treat her disrespectfully. There were quite a few young men who had no scruples about manhandling their young dates.

The five began their shopping, and it wasn’t long before Eva and Lily ‘accidentally’ ran into the quintet. The accident had been arranged by Eva and Remus, who immediately twined their fingers and smiled happily at each other. James, taking a cue from Anwen’s suggestion a few days before, acted less like a prat and more like a gentleman in Lily’s presence. The redhead was surprised by his behavior, and was no longer upset at being ‘set-up’ for the afternoon.

The group stayed together for a long while, Anwen and Sirius both selecting gifts for Mr and Mrs Potter, as well as for James. They’d used Lily to distract him while in Quality Quidditch Supplies which facilitated their purchases. After that, the group split up as the guys wanted to go into Gambol and Japes to get pranking supplies. The girls decided to go into one of the upscale accessories shops to look for shoes for Anwen to wear with her fancy robes for the ball.

“I can’t believe you’re going to the Twenty Families Ball,” Eva said. “I went with James a few years ago, and it was beautiful. You’re going to have so much fun. I’m assuming Sirius is going to be your escort?”

Anwen bit her lip and nodded. “He is. His dress robes are lined in the same peacock blue of my gown-robe-thing. Thank goodness my family has such pretty colours. Some of the families just have downright ugly configurations. Tan and puce? Bright green and orange? Can you imagine having to wear an orange gown?”

“No,” Eva said. “Even with your earthy colouring, it would look horrible on you.”

“Can you imagine what it would look like with my hair?” Lily asked and they all broke out laughing. “Please tell me the Potter' colours are better.”

“They are,” Anwen confirmed. “Navy blue and dark red. Why are you so worried, Lily? Planning to wear Potter colours somewhere?”

“I was, er, I didn’t mean, er, never mind,” she stuttered and the other girls laughed. It didn’t take long for Anwen to find a pair of iridescent blue-green shoes with an insanely high heel. The others were shocked she could walk easily in them.

“They’ve got them with a shorter heel, why don’t you get those?” Eva wondered aloud.

“My, er, Sirius,” she said, still unsure how to classify their relationship, “is so much taller than I am. This will help with the difference.”

“I saw him kiss you before they went into the joke shop,” Eva stated. “What’s going on with you two?” Anwen screwed up her lips and looked away, the same face she made when attempting to suss out an Arithmancy question.

“We haven’t discussed a name for whatever we are,” the youngest witch answered. “Let me pay for these and then how about we get some cocoa and I’ll tell you about it?”

“Sounds perfect,” Lily answered and Anwen quickly paid for her shoes. The trio headed to the small coffee shop three doors down and went inside. Anwen used the mirror James had given her that morning to alert the guys where they were. She only had another hour before the Potters would arrive.

Once each of the girls had her drink they sat at a table in the back. “Okay, Anwen, spill,” Eva directed.

Anwen told them everything, from the visit of the ‘older versions of James and herself’ and their revelations to Sirius’ bad reaction to it and their fight, to her leaving. Anwen explained his arrival at the Potter’s and the difficult conversation that followed. She even told them about their kisses and her accidentally making the bubble they floated in.

“That’s all so romantic,” Eva said with a sigh. “I can barely get Remus to hold my hand half the time.”

“That’s huge for him,” Anwen reminded her. “You’re the first girl he’s gone with since I came to Hogwarts, and believe me, many have tried. He’s a gentleman, and he’s treating you with respect.”

“True, but I need a good weak-in-the-knees, breathless snog, for Merlin’s sake.”  They continued to gossip and giggle, even going so far as to give Anwen some snogging tips before the guys joined them for  a very ruckus time. As she sat on his lap and laid her head on Sirius’ chest, Anwen thought this was perhaps the best Christmastime she’d ever had.

TW TW TW TW TW

Late on Christmas Day, the family was getting ready to leave for the Twenty Families Ball, and Anwen was incredibly nervous. The Potters had been able to wrestle her guardianship away from Dumbledore, but he was quite unhappy about it. As of late afternoon yesterday she was Anwen Llyn Hodgson Potter-Parker. The name would be her official moniker until she turned seventeen, at which time she could chose between Hodgson, Parker or Potter, or any combination she wanted as her last name. The three teens spent the better part of an hour the previous night coming up with ridiculous combinations to break the tension after Dumbledore left the house. She and Sirius had continued the fun by adding the name Black in as well. These were her favourite combinations.

Tonight, however, she was nervous for a different reason: she’d never been to a ball or on a date before. There was a knock on Anwen’s bedroom door and she opened it,  happy to find her escort standing outside her room. She stepped aside and let Sirius come into her room, his mouth agape as he shut the door behind him.

“You are so pretty, Anwen,” he told her before kissing her. They’d spent hours kissing over the last few days, so much so that their lips were sore and swollen through most of Christmas gift exchanging this morning. Anwen was wearing the special dress robes in her Parker family colours. She was thankful for the peacock blue and pine green colours, as they made her green eyes truly pop and her pale skin look luminous.

Her robes consisted of an under dress and separate outer robes. The dark blue-green dress was a taffeta halter, very modestly cut across her bodice, with a velvet sash dropping from just below her bosom to the floor with the Parker family crest embroidered on it. Over the dress she wore a fitted floor length jacket in a deep green, almost black-looking crushed velvet. To complete her outfit were the shoes she’d purchased with the girls, a strand of black cultured pearls, along with the matching earrings the Potters had given her for Christmas and the charm bracelet Sirius had given her for her twelfth birthday. He’d continued adding to it, commemorating special occasions, and it now had fifteen charms.

“You’re very handsome as well,” she replied. He was wearing black dress robes, the inside of his jacket lined in the same blue-green of her dress. The Black family crest was over his chest. With her heels on, there was a much smaller height difference, and she only needed to stand on her tip-toes to reach his lips. Her simple greeting kiss quickly escalated so that arms were wrapped around torsos and soft moaning was heard. Their breathing was deep and rapid when they did finally break apart.

“We’re doing that far too often,” she remarked, turning to the mirror by the door to check her make-up.

“I say we’re not doing it often enough,” he whispered as he stood behind her, his arms circling her waist. “I have something for you, I didn’t want to give it to you this morning in front of everyone.”

“I have something for you too,” she confessed and turned from the mirror and went to her vanity drawer and pulled out a small box.

“Ladies first,” Sirius said and Anwen nodded, handing him a small black velvet box, ‘Tiffany’s’ emblazoned in gold letters on the top. “You got me something from a girl’s shop?”

“No, silly,” she answered, giving his shoulder a shove. “It’s a Muggle jeweller. I got Mr Potter to take me out into Muggle London when we were at the Ministry yesterday. I felt like a bit of a fool in there.”

“Why?” he asked, his hands caressing her cheeks as she bit her lip.

“It’s a very famous place, known for it’s remarkable jewels. It’s also very expensive. I felt a bit overwhelmed for spending so much, but Mr Potter insisted that if I was going to spend it on anyone besides myself, it should be on you. I’m still working on this idea that I’m not a poor farm girl anymore.”

“Nope, you’re the heir to the Parker family line and fortune. In the Wizarding world, you’re just short of being a princess.” She blushed and laughed nervously. The Potters had explained it to her, but Anwen still couldn’t quite believe it all. Sirius leaned in and snogged her again, wanting to remind her he’d be at her side through it all.

“Please, open it,” she breathlessly prompted.

Sirius nodded and opened the box. Inside was a sterling silver identification bracelet, his name in a strong Roman typeface; a tiny silver key was attached at one end. “Anwen, I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said, picking it up and undoing the latch. Anwen took it between her delicate fingers and attached it to his left wrist.

“It’s a Muggle tradition for a girl to give her boyfriend an Identification or ID bracelet, well, at least the girls at the Opera School did. I made sure it was good and manly looking,” she teased, knowing he’d called men’s jewellery ‘sissy-ish’ in the past.

“What’s the key for?”

She looked away, biting her bottom lip. “It’s the key to my heart.” The words were barely out of her mouth before he’d pulled her against him in a passionate embrace, walking them backwards until her legs hit her bed and they lay down. He’d yet to truly deepen their kisses until now. Hungrily he let his tongue slide past her lips and into her mouth. He was surprised when she opened wider and let hers dance with his.

Yesterday, when the Potters collected Anwen and Sirius remained with the group, Eva had let it slip that she and Lily had given Anwen some snogging tips. He definitely needed to give the older girls a gift, to thank them for their lesson. Anwen might be a novice at this, but she was a well-prepared novice. Luxurious moments passed with the couple in a full on snogging embrace. They were forced apart by Andrew Potter’s voice booming through the house, reminding James he needed to be leaving to pick up his date. The young lovers wouldn’t have long before Julia would be calling them to leave as well.

“Here, before we get called away, I have something for you too. Close your eyes,” he said and she obeyed. He lifted her right hand and slid a ring onto the ring finger. “Open them, little one.” The ring was a simple band, silver on the outside, a floating gold centre. On the centre part were two intricately intertwined lines. Sirius spun the gold part, showing her how it moved.

“Sirius, it’s beautiful. What does it mean?”

“It’s a handfasting ring. Handfasting is the first part of an old rite wedding. From what you’ve explained to me, we’re Bound in all these futures. If we’re Bound, it means we marry by the old rite. This ring says I have asked to court you formally, even though you’re not of age yet, and your guardian has said yes.”

“Oh, Sirius,” she said through misty eyes while leaping into his embrace, “thank you.” They kissed until Julia did call them to leave only minutes later. Anwen checked her lipstick in the mirror, applying more as she left the room. In her head she wondered why, seeing how she was sure they’d just kiss it off.

Their arrival at the ball was quite spectacular. Mrs Potter side-along Apparated Anwen while Sirius took care of himself. They waited for Andrew, James and his date, Calliope Crouch. When they arrived and all their cloaks had been checked, James, Sirius and Calliope went in together, each announced individually. Just before Anwen was to follow Julia and Andrew, they pulled her aside and Julia set a small tiara on her head.

“I would have given this to you earlier, but I had to wait for my sister-in-law, Claire, to find it. No one has worn it since Alice was presented when she was sixteen,” Julia explained. Anwen’s hand went up to feel the diamond, aquamarine and emerald tiara, her eyes wide.

“Holy cheese and crackers,” she said as her fingers worked along the top filigree. Her new guardians laughed at her response.

“Anwen, eventually you will understand exactly who you are and your standing in the Wizarding world,” Andrew said. “When you do, I would ask you keep your sweet and genuine personality. Our world needs more people who are respectful, but not full of themselves.”

“I’ll do my best, Uncle Andrew. I promise.” He kissed her cheek.

“Come on, I would not be surprised if Sirius is in there worried you have run off without him,” Julia remarked. “I have never seen him so happy, Anwen. Thank you for making him so.”

“He’s my heart, Aunt Julia. I know we’re young, but...he’s everything to me.” The older couple looked at one another as they remembered similar words from their youth.

Andrew Potter put his bent finger under Anwen’s chin to lift her eyes to his. “Hold onto that, regardless of what happens or what you face. If you do, you shall have a magnificent life, child.”

“I will, Uncle Andrew.” The trio moved to the door, the adults flanking young Anwen, and were introduced. The music stopped, those who were dancing stood still and turned to the door. Seeing how this was her first wizarding society event, Anwen took a small step forward and curtsied deeply, tucking her head under and averting her eyes. After a brief moment, Andrew offered Anwen his hand and she stood. He offered his other to his wife, and together they walked down the stairs. Just as Julia had suggested, Sirius was indeed waiting and looking a bit anxious. Her took her hand and tucked it into the crook of his elbow, and graciously accompanied her as she was walked about the room by her new guardians and introduced to the other families. Andrew had chosen to avoid the large Black family entourageon. Neither he nor Sirius knew how Orion would take to his relationship with Anwen.

Once the introductions were completed, Anwen had a lovely time. Her dance card filled up quickly; she was surprised such an antiquated custom was still used by wizards. She danced with Sirius, James, Uncle Andrew, and another cousin, Jeffery Nighman, Aunt Julia’s brother. His daughter, Alice, was marrying Frank Longbottom this summer and Anwen danced with him as well, as well as Frank’s father, Neville and Neville’s brother, Algie.  She also met Frank’s mother, Augusta, who openly sized her up and pronounced her a suitable heir to the Parker line.

Anwen and Alice immediately hit it off, andit didn’t escape Anwen’s attention that her family and their in-laws had circled her and kept quite a few young men away from her; Julia, Claire and Alice ensured she didn’t even go to the loo alone. Late in the evening she understood why.

The other couples were dancing, and Sirius had stepped away from her to get them some drinks when Anwen was approached by a tall, blonde man she was certain she’d seen standing with Sirius’ parents earlier tonight. Mr and Mrs Black were easy to pick out, Sirius looked like their son -- only better looking than either one alone -- and they were glaring at him. This tall man caught her against the wall and a table, leaving her no easy way to slip past him.

“So, you’re the long lost Parker princess that everyone’s been speaking about,” he said haughtily.

Anwen took in a deep breath before speaking, “I suppose that’s one way to put it. I prefer to simply be called Anwen.” She stuck out her right hand for him to shake, hoping it wasn't shaking too badly, betraying her fear. There was something telling her to be wary of this man.

“You’re quite enchanting, young Anwen,” the man said, taking her hand, but rather than shaking it, he brought it to his lips and kissed her knuckle. Her stomach lurched at his touch. Just before he released her hand, he noticed her new handfasting ring.

“I didn’t realise you were of an age to have a courtship set,” the man said.

"I'm not, though I will be handfasted." Anwen wished she could see Sirius or James, or even Alice's rather dull fiancé, Frank.

“Andrew Potter isn’t known for his appreciation of the traditional rules of marriage," the odd man said with a sneer. "I've been told he and his wife selected each other.”

Anwen pulled her hand back, not liking the tone the man, who had yet to share his name, had used when speaking of her family. She was no longer frightened, she was incensed. “My Uncle Andrew wasn’t responsible for my courtship, although he’s given his permission and blessing.”

“I see,” he said, oozing an attitude that made Anwen’s skin crawl. She tried to look past the man, but he was doing an excellent job blocking her view.

“Sir, since you haven’t seen fit to share your name with me, and you’ve spoken rudely about my kin, I would kindly ask you let me pass,” Anwen said as politely as she could, given the circumstances.

The man shook his head, then leaned down to whisper in her ear. “Whomever this gentleman is, he’s very lucky. Just remember, there are others who would be quite interested in someone of your...beauty and social stature.” Anwen was utterly uncomfortable, and silently wished something would drop on this man to make him back off. Forgetting that she could turn her thoughts into reality, one of the floating glass balls that made up part of a chandelier, dropped on his shoulder, distracting him and allowing Anwen to slip past.

The crashing of glass and the man losing his balance and falling over several chairs caused most of those in the room to turn in his direction. Anwen quickly flitted away, escaping the crowd’s scrutiny, making the man even angrier. She was no more than ten steps away when James came and wrapped his arm around her.

“Are you okay? I saw Lucius talking with you, and I was on my way to rescue you. Did you make that thing fall on him?”

“I think I might have, and I’m fine. I just feel a bit icky. Who is he?”

“Lucius Malfoy, he’s married to Sirius’ cousin, Narcissa.”

“He’s married?” Anwen said, shocked. “I could swear he asked to court me. That’s just, oh, yuck. Now I really feel gross!”

“Anwen, you’re not even old enough to court yet,” James stated as he pulled her toward a small, private alcove. “What would give him the impression you were?”

“He saw the ring Sirius gave me,” she explained, lifting her right hand to show him.

“Merlin’s plaid undershorts, he gave you a courting ring. I knew he cared but--you think you know someone, and then they surprise you.” Anwen shrugged and James chuckled. “Speaking of the old dog, where the hell is he?”

“I don’t know. He went to get us some drinks and I haven’t seen him since.”

“Come on, we’ll go waltz and see if we find him,” James said as he tugged his new sister forward and spun her into the dancing throng. It didn’t take long to find Sirius, who was cornered by his father. Sirius’ eyes were dark with anger, even as his posture was curled in onto himself. Anwen knew enough of what Orion had done to his eldest to understand the conflicting signals. Orion was yelling, although she couldn’t make out the words over the orchestra, which had switched from a waltz to a more upbeat dance, sounding a bit like a polka.

Anwen attempted to escape from James’ hold, but he refused to let her go. “Anwen, don’t. He’s holding his temper in right now, but if Mr Black were to insult you, I don’t know what Sirius might do. This is why we check our wands with our cloaks. Family disputes have turned into duels in the past.”

“Really? My, what fine manners the wizarding world has,” she replied sarcastically. The couple slid off the dance floor when they could, the polka wasn’t really their dance. Frank and Alice joined them, Frank reaching into his breast pocket for his wand.

“Why are you allowed a wand?” Anwen asked, surprised.

“Frank’s an Auror; they’re allowed to keep theirs,” Alice answered. “I’m in my second year of training. We’re hoping Jimmy will join us next year.”

“That’s my plan,” he confirmed. “Sirius too, maybe even Remus. The one you really want is Anwen here, Frank. She’s already got some mad skills.” Anwen playfully elbowed James.

“I’ll remember that,” Frank said with a smile.

“I’ve got a few things I need to take care of still, Jimmy.” James was about to rebuke her for using his childhood nickname, something he utterly loathed. A quiet conversation started between the two couples, their eyes on Sirius and his father, and eventually his mother as well.

A second woman, much older than Walburga Black, came up behind Sirius and drew her concealed wand and pointed it at the back of Sirius’ head. Frank moved before the other three had even processed the action. Even with his quick reflexes, Frank didn’t get to Sirius in time. Whoever this woman was had already begun cursing the young man. Sirius fell to his knees, his face contorted in agony. While it appeared he was screaming, he was silent. Someone had cast a spell to keep unwanted attention at bay.

“Crazy Auntie Cassie,” James muttered. “She’s our …” his words fell off as he watched Anwen take off in a sprint for Sirius. James was well aware this was something which she needed to stay out of. Her age would create problems; her bloodline would create more. James knew the family histories, as did Sirius; Anwen was still clueless.

He saw when her ‘accidental’ magic kicked in, as Sirius was suddenly on the floor, panting. Aunt Cassie still had her wand out, but she was unable to continue her curses, although not for a lack of trying. Frank was upon her first, taking her wand away and quickly immobilizing her. Andrew Potter arrived next, with his wife. Julia knelt down to comfort Sirius while Andrew and Orion squared off. James wouldn’t let Anwen get involved; the ring on her hand could complicate matters. He was silently thankful for her slight size as he grabbed her and quickly carried her from the main room and into the hallway.

“James Potter, you put me down right now!” She squirmed attempting to free herself. “They’re hurting him!”

James held her tightly against him, even as he slipped out into the night air. “No, Anwen, you can’t go in there, doing wandless magic and wearing Sirius’s ring. You’d likely set off a battle to end all battles.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” she angrily questioned. “Why does it matter if they know I plan to marry Sirius someday?”

“Anwen, you’re the heir to the Parker family line and a ward of the Potter family. We can trace our roots back to Godric Gryffindor. The Black’s aren’t quite as old, although they can trace themselves back to the founders as well; but it’s only through marriage. You tip your hand on the strength of the relationship between you and Sirius too soon and they will truly disown him. He needs those titles in the future, remember?”

She looked at him with frustration and fear, and James wanted to see neither of his cousin’s face. “Why does it matter if they know I do special magic? Shouldn’t I use it to keep the one person who is more important to me than anything else safe?”

“Merlin, Anwen, don’t you get it?” James asked as he raked his hands frustratedly through his hair. “They figure it out and you’ll be at the feet of Voldemort before any of us can even blink. Dad explained this, I was there. We’ve got to keep your secret, just like they tried with your grandmother.”

Anwen defeatedly sighed before nodding, tears gathering along the lower lids, only falling when she closed her eyes, willing her emotions to stop. The door to the hall opened, and the pair saw Andrew carrying Sirius out into the night, Disapparating from the walkway without a word.

“Come on you two,” Julia said as she handed them their cloaks. “That man should be in Azkaban,” she said with venom in her voice. “What sort of father arranges for their son to be cursed?” Neither had an answer, so they stayed quiet and took her hands to be transported home.

TW TW TW TW TW

Anwen lay on her bed with Sirius’ head in her lap. They were both changed out of their formal wear and she was gently running her fingers through his hair, comforting him in his potion-induced sleep. Julia Potter knocked to announce herself before slipping into the room.

“We should move him when he wakes up,” she told Anwen. It was already half past two in the morning.

“Aunt Julia, he’s not moving anywhere tonight. We both know he has nightmares every night, sometimes he screams so loudly he has no voice in the morning,” she very plainly stated. “He doesn’t have them when he’s with me.”

“Anwen, dear, I’m not sure it’s proper --”

“Aunt Julia, with all due respect, Sirius and I have been sleeping with one another -- in a completely non-sexual way -- since my first night at Hogwarts. This past summer we shared a bed every night for nearly six weeks, and in those weeks he never awoke.”

“Really?”

“Absolutely. If you don’t believe me, ask James about the nights I’ve spent in their room.  Sirius knows it’s me there with him and he doesn’t awake.”

“How are you sure?”

“Did you hear him last night?” Anwen asked and Julia nodded. “I immediately awoke when it started and went up and slid into bed with him. He didn’t awaken fully, but he knew it was me. He wrapped himself around me and held me, and he slept through the night.”

“Anwen,” she said softly as she came to sit on the bed. She took the girl’s free hand between hers. “You must understand why having our seventeen-year-old permanent houseguest share a bed with our thirteen-year-old ward is somewhat morally precarious.”

“Aunt Julia, this isn’t about sex, it’s about comfort. I will do what I can to keep those monsters away from him, even if I can only do it in his sleep.” The older woman could see the girl’s conviction, but she still had concerns.

“Anwen, before you weren’t involved with Sirius, now you are. I know you’re wearing his ring, and while it’s innocent now, passions can be stirred and things happen quicker --”

“If this is about sex, would it help if I swore to you that wouldn’t happen? At least not for two more years.”

“What do you mean?”

“I have to do this super spell in two years, using magic I didn’t know I could do until a few days ago and that I don’t even understand. This has to be my focus, there’s so much at stake,” Anwen vehemently explained.

“You say that now, but Anwen, Sirius has been intimate, and once young men and women have been so, they often desire it more.”

“Yes, which is why this waiting plan came from Sirius. He said sex messed him up, and he doesn’t want it to screw up my head too. Physical intimacy like that has consequences, some of which would completely bugger up my being able to do this spell. For the time being, we’re going to focus on my magic and our bond,” Anwen explained, sounding far beyond her years.

“Well, since the two of you discussed this, I see no reason to stop your sharing a bed. However, if at any time I feel we need to revisit this topic, we will. I truly do only have your best interests at heart, dear,” Julia said as she rose and leaned over to hug the girl. “If you need me tonight, just holler, we’re right down the hall.” Anwen didn’t miss the promise and threat in her words, but smiled anyway.


Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear