Search:

SIYE Time:5:34 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Lord of Immortality
By Awakening5

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, All, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Mild Sexual Situations, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 69
Summary: The war is beginning, and Voldemort seeks to cast fear into the hearts of the wizarding world as reality hits: he is immortal. Harry Potter struggles to accept his new role in the war and find a way to destroy the man who can't die. AU 6th year. Canon ships, especially HG.
Hitcount: Story Total: 49620; Chapter Total: 2861
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Thanks to the great reviews! Sorry this update took a little longer. Vacations make it tough to post. This chapter will be one of the last to seriously detail Harry’s training. The war will start to take a more prominent role and be the plot driving device after this chapter, with short allusions to his training. But as I started writing this story, I felt the need to give a glimpse into Harry’s training, so it was understood how he is progressing in power and wisdom. Harry doesn’t just become powerful overnight. It’s a process, and a painful one at that. That said, no one wants to read 25 chapters of training. This chapter will be vital as you look back on the story over the next couple months and see where Harry learned the things that help him in the future. It also marks the beginning of a little Remus and Tonks, which has been VERY fun for me to write in the coming chapters.

Also, I would like to hear some feedback, both regarding my own story and thoughts on canon Harry. I love JK’s Harry, but felt he was never powerful enough to defeat Voldemort. We are supposed to believe Voldemort is brilliant and evil, yet he still attacks Harry with a potentially inferior wand after not checking personally to ensure Harry is dead after the killing curse did not behave normally in the forest?

Anyway, enjoy the chapter, and give me your thoughts on canon and my story. Thanks!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“It is time for Harry to start branching out.”

“We’ll need to bring in a few different teachers. I don’t want him just learning to duel like me.”

“I agree, Sirius. No disrespect to your dueling ability, of course.”

“No, he needs to be better than I ever could.”

“And he will.”

-0-0-0-

Harry grimaced, holding his left arm painfully. He was sure his shoulder had been dislocated. He made a mental note to learn a spell that would either fix the problem or at least numb the pain temporarily so he could continue to fight without the distraction. As it was, he would have to rely on adrenaline to keep him in the fight.

Harry dashed into an alleyway to give himself a moment to collect himself. He moved his arm gingerly, and knew it would be useless. He conjured cloth to quickly sling his arm–hoping to decrease any unnecessary pain by keeping it against his chest. He knew he didn’t have much time, however. Soon, the Dumbledore-skilled Death Eater would be following him into the alleyway.

Harry had yet to beat the Death Eater in any scenario. A couple of times, he had gotten some good hits off. In fact, he had just broken the Death Eater’s leg by bending a street lamp in the Hogsmeade battle scenario that he fought in. Unfortunately, by injuring the Death Eater, his skill level increased immediately and he got a powerful twisting hex through Harry’s shield that pulled his arm out of its socket.

But, Harry was always emboldened whenever he got a hit off, and it encouraged him to think outside the box more. With that in mind, Harry glanced around the alley, hoping to find inspiration in his surroundings. He knew with only one arm, he would need to keep the Death Eater on the defensive as his mobility was limited.

Well, my physical mobility is limited…not my magical mobility.

Then, seeing the window ledges, roofs, and dumpsters in the darkened alley, Harry got an idea. He reached into his pocket to pull out a silence grenade–one that Fred and George had given him for his birthday. Hiding behind a dumpster, Harry waited until he saw the shadow of the Death Eater, creeping into the alleyway. Then he pulled the pin and tossed the grenade into the alley, grabbing his wand once more now that his one hand was free again.

Harry leaned out from behind the dumpster in time to see the Death Eater put up a shield. It would do no good against a silence grenade, but Harry didn’t fault his enemy the action. Harry would put up a shield if a grenade landed near him as well.

No bang ever sounded, however. Instead a wave of silence blew past Harry, and while Harry’s hearing came back at once, he knew the Death Eater wasn’t so lucky. The Death Eater was only temporarily deterred by this, however, and turned his attention on Harry, raising his wand to attack.

Harry turned on the spot, and disapparated with a crack that the Death Eater wouldn’t hear. In fact, the Death Eater didn’t hear the second crack when Harry appeared directly behind him, either. Harry launched a stunner that headed right for the Death Eater.

As soon as the Death Eater saw Harry disappear, however, he began turning around immediately to find him. He was able to get a shield up immediately. Before he could raise his wand to make another attack, however, Harry was gone again.

Harry appeared on a window balcony above the Death Eater and fired a few more spells, then turned and disappeared before a bludgeoning curse blasted the balcony to pieces.

Beginning to feel the drain of quick apparitions, Harry fought through the fatigue and continued to launch spells. With every apparition, his spells were getting closer to hitting their mark. Meanwhile, the Death Eater was trying to go on the offensive and was shooting spells all around him as he turned wildly on the spot.

After nearly two minutes of this battle, with sweat pouring down his face from magical exertion, Harry found himself on the roof above the Death Eater. He tried a very weak, but nearly imperceptible stunner that took a lot of energy to cast. The moment the clear energy left his wand and rippled towards the Death Eater on the street below, Harry began to see spots in his vision and his legs grew weak.

Harry fell from the roof, unable to support himself longer and fell fifteen feet onto the very dumpster where he began the fight. He hit painfully on his back and rolled to the ground where his arm cried out in pain, now free of its sling. Harry moaned painfully, now sure he had injured his back in addition to his shoulder. His vision slowly started to clear, however, now that he was lying still for a moment. He glanced around the dumpster and a smile slowly crossed his features. The Death Eater lay motionless just twenty feet away from him.

Accio wand,” Harry managed, out of his very dry throat. Feeling his vision fade briefly yet again, Harry managed to keep hold of his consciousness as the Death Eater’s wand clattered on the ground next to him. Harry gave himself a minute to rest before pulling himself to his feet weakly.

Body moaning with every movement, Harry slowly limped towards the unconscious Death Eater and held out his wand, shakily.

Ropes issued forth, binding the Death Eater. Unconscious and bound–Harry’s first victory against the solo Death Eater simulation. Harry grinned to himself as the alley dissolved away, and he sat again in the basement of Grimmauld Place.

When Harry had entered the simulation, only Sirius had been present. Therefore, Harry suspected that he would have been the lone observer of his first victory. However, to Harry’s surprise, Dumbledore, Remus, and Tonks had joined Sirius at some point during the fight to observe Harry in action.

Sirius began a slow clap, smiling broadly at his godson’s performance. Remus was grinning widely, himself, shaking his head somewhat. Tonks had a very impressed smirk on her face as she appraised Harry. And finally, Dumbledore looked…sad?

“Alas, beaten after just a month of training…what am I to do now?”

And with that comment, he beamed at Harry, a twinkle in his eye. Harry knew he had not beaten Dumbledore. As had been explained to him on the first day, the Death Eater he fought had the knowledge and power of Dumbledore, but was unable to replicate his intuition. In addition, the Death Eater only used as much knowledge and power as would be necessary to fight Harry. Not Dumbledore’s entire strength. It is likely that the wise Professor would have come up with a plan more quickly than the Death Eater had, and would have defeated Harry rather quickly. Nevertheless, Harry knew from his victory that he had fought in a way Dumbledore had never experienced before, and had caught his magical creation by surprise. This gave Harry much confidence and excitement about his future.

“Harry, that was…amazing,” Moony managed. “I knew when you managed a Patronus at thirteen that you’d be a great wizard…but…”

Moony trailed off and Harry felt his face heat up. Not that it had been cool beforehand. Harry was panting, and sweat covered his face and body from the magical exertion. He was exhausted, but felt his energy returning by the minute.

Tonks, who was holding onto Moony’s arm–likely from the intensity of the duel–nodded her agreement. “That was bloody fantastic, Harry. I’ve never seen a fight like that–apparition dueling. Genius. And with a dislocated shoulder to boot!”

Harry’s flush did not go away at this praise. He did subconsciously move his arm, though–grateful again that physical injuries did not carry over from the simulation. “Well, thanks…I knew I couldn’t move around with my feet all that easily, so I used the only other means of travel I had. Exhausting though…”

“Oh don’t worry about that, Harry,” Tonks reassured, finally letting go of Moony, who looked a little relieved, and then saddened, by the motion. “You learned to apparate, what, two weeks ago?”

Harry nodded. “Have you been working out as well?” the pretty woman asked him, with a raised eyebrow as she looked him up and down.

With all of his might, Harry fought down another blush. He was on to her–she liked to see him squirm. Well, he wouldn’t give the satisfaction. He smirked. “Sure have…you like what you see?”

Tonks matched his smirk as Moony’s jaw dropped in shock. Sirius gave a bark of laughter. Harry had seen his godfather in action a few times over the summer with a couple members of the Order, and was starting to get a hang of a little banter. “Sure do,” Tonks responded, waggling her eyebrows suggestively. At this, Harry felt a small amount of heat enter his face, but didn’t comment further. Instead, Tonks pushed on. “And just as you–and most gratefully, I–have noticed, with each workout your muscles have grown, your body more toned.”

Remus cleared his throat. “And what does this have to do with anything?” he asked, a little more annoyed than Harry would’ve expected.

Tonks smiled at Moony as Harry let out a chuckle. He was flattered, and a little embarrassed. But like Moony, Harry wasn’t sure what Tonks was leading up to either. “My point,” Tonks said gleefully. “Is that young Harry here doesn’t need to worry about how exhausting apparating is right now. Like a muscle, he needs to build it up, slowly and steadily.”

Harry thought about it for a moment. At the beginning of the summer, his running had also exhausted him, and quickly. But after over a month of it, this morning he and Ginny could not only run for an hour at high speeds, but they could carry on a conversation while doing so. And, just as he had found his magical core to be growing with every day he spent learning with Sirius or Dumbledore, he could expect the same with his apparition ability.

“Indeed,” Dumbledore said, his face pondering something. “I suggest that you make apparition dueling a common exercise in the coming weeks. It is a unique fighting style that will take enemies by surprise, and it would be wise for you to be able to perform it without falling off of buildings with fatigue.”

Sirius nodded. “We’ll add it to the list.”

“List?” Harry asked.

“Sure, pup. After all, we’ve been blowing through our initial goals, it’s time we set some new ones–which is why we’ve invited two more instructors. They’ll be able to teach you things that I can’t.”

“So I’ll learn loads, then?” Harry said with a grin.

Eyes narrowed, Sirius shook his head slowly. “Oh, you’ll pay for that one…”

And pay, Harry did.

What followed was a very full, very grueling day. If Harry had thought Sirius had been hard on him before, this day–his first victory over the Death Eater–marked the beginning of hell for Harry. Already near his magical limit for the moment, Dumbledore took over the training.

Occlumency had been progressing nicely for Harry. Dumbledore was a phenomenal teacher, and while Harry usually ended each session with a light headache, he was always emboldened by his progress. His classes with Snape just seemed like a distant nightmare now, and Harry even thought he might be able to withstand his hated professor for all of his improvement.

Sirius, Remus, and Tonks left the training room and left Harry with Dumbledore. Harry felt a pull at his navel and the room changed before them and they sat in comfortable chairs, a desk between them. Other than this, there were no distinguishable qualities about the room they sat in, thus enabling Harry to easily block out distraction. He relaxed his mind as he heard Dumbledore whisper “Legilimens.

This was common practice, and Harry had gotten very accomplished about removing himself from his emotions and memories to focus on nothingness. Once that state of peace was achieved, he could begin forming defenses in his mind, and on a couple of occasions had mentally attacked Dumbledore’s gentle prod–though his attack never came close to entering his Headmaster’s mind, as he once had with Snape. Harry assumed this was because Dumbledore never attacked his mind with such reckless abandon that he left himself open to attack.

Once his defenses were in place, he was able to allow emotion and memories back into his mind without fear of them being seen. Harry felt the walls he had built under attack, and soon the room he was in had vanished completely, though his eyes were still open, and Harry saw nothing but his own mind. He reinforced the walls where the attack was centered, but kept a wary (and figurative) eye on his other defenses. Dumbledore had once misled him by launching a surprise attack elsewhere in his defenses while keeping Harry focused on one attack.

After some time, Dumbledore retreated, and Harry became aware of his surroundings once more. Dumbledore smiled proudly at Harry. “We are ready for the last phase of your occlumency training, Harry.”

Harry’s eyebrows lifted. “And what’s that?”

Without a verbal response, the room began to shift before him. Harry was back at the Ministry, now, in the Department of Mysteries. Dumbledore was no longer sitting across from him, smiling, but instead, Lucius Malfoy grinned evilly, standing over Harry. In the distance, four Death Eaters stood with Harry’s friends tied up at their feet. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Neville looked at him with terrified eyes.

Harry felt a pit in his stomach as one of his worst fears and a nightmare he had once lay before him. Dumbledore must have seen the nightmare in the early stages of his training and was now using it against him.

“Legilimens!” Lucius shouted above him, and Harry felt a vicious attack on his mind. Hastily trying to enter a state of peace where he could build defenses, Harry tried to tune out his surroundings. But just as he began to let go of his fear and worry at being in this scenario, he heard Hermione cry out in pain.

This brought Harry back from his calming state and he looked desperately at his friends. Hermione writhed on the floor in pain and let out a blood-curdling scream, Bellatrix Lestrange standing over her triumphantly with her wand outstretched. Ron struggled in his bindings, thrashing on the floor, shouting through the rag stuffed in his mouth.

Immediately, Harry felt Lucius sifting through his memories. Images of a live Sirius burst forth, hours of training, Harry’s new apparating strategy, all being revealed to Lucius.

Then an image of Harry sitting in front of Dumbledore as Dumbledore told him of the prophecy popped into his head.

No! Harry shouted in his mind and everything went white. Exerting all of his will, he tuned out his best friends’ pain and entered a state of emptiness. He managed to force out Lucius Malfoy and began building walls, hastily.

Then he heard Neville scream. Bellatrix was taunting him about his parents. An attack on one of his walls brought Harry back to his mind’s defenses. Lucius had nearly broken through.

Luna was soon shouting, and it felt so odd to hear that noise come from Luna. No matter how aloof she seemed, pain yielded a universal reaction. Another attack, successfully knocking down a wall.

Harry reentered his mind and pushed Lucius out with all his might. With Lucius gone for a moment, Harry rebuilt his walls and began strengthening them. He vaguely heard Ron shout, but wouldn’t concern himself with it. He knew Ron could take it. Ron would take it for him.

His walls were nearly strong enough for Harry to leave his mind and look to help his friends when Ron’s screaming stopped and another started.

It was Ginny, and Harry didn’t know why, but it caused him to leave his mind immediately. He emerged from his mind in a panic, looking over at Ginny. All having been tortured, Neville, Luna, Hermione, and Ron had no strength to try to escape. They lay on the ground, panting heavily and looking miserably at Ginny. But Harry couldn’t take it anymore and let out a scream as his magic burst out of him, ripping his bindings to shreds. Harry leapt to his feet and swung a fist at Lucius, the fact that this was a simulation lost in Harry’s pain.

But before Harry’s punch landed, Lucius broke through the walls in his mind and Harry fell to the ground in pain. After having subdued Harry in his mind, Lucius went straight to the memory of Dumbledore telling Harry the prophecy. And just like that, it was over. The room dissolved and Harry lay panting on the ground of the training room.

After several moments, Harry pulled himself up in a sitting position and caught his breath. He glanced up at Dumbledore with trepidation, fearing to see the disappointment in Dumbledore’s eyes. He had let Malfoy get all of the information Dumbledore had trusted him with.

But he did not find disappointment. If anything, he saw pride and sadness. “I am so sorry, Harry,” the old man said at last.

Harry shook his head. “No…I am. I would’ve lost it all…”

Dumbledore let out a long sigh. “Frankly, I would’ve been disappointed in you had you succeeded.”

Harry looked up sharply at his mentor. “What?”

“Harry, it is the love and care that you have for your friends that will ultimately be the cause of your victory. Had you been able to tune them out without any previous experience doing so, I would’ve been greatly worried. In time, and in a case like this, you will find that for ultimate success, you must ignore them for a time to defeat Lucius in a mental struggle. Then, you could launch a successful rescue attempt.”

Harry held his legs to his chest. His breathing had slowed, and he looked at his feet. “I hope it never comes to that, sir.” Harry didn’t think he’d ever be able to witness what he just had in real life.

“And neither do I…but it is better to never have to do something you’re prepared for than to fail because you were not prepared.”

Harry nodded slowly. “Thanks, Professor.”

Dumbledore was silent for a moment before responded very softly. “No, Harry. Thank you.”

-0-0-0-

“I don’t know how he’s doing it, Remus.”

“He’s an incredible kid, isn’t he?” Remus responded, smiling softly at Tonks.

Tonks shook her head. “Incredible doesn’t cover it.” She raised her fist and opened a finger. “First he duels a Dumbledore Death Eater to near-exhaustion.”

A second finger. “Then takes the real Dumbledore on in a mind-duel. Then I go in there and start training him in proper battle techniques. The kid is rough around the edges, but very talented, even when he’s tired. Then he spends a couple hours with you learning spell technique.”

“Which he is very rough at, but very dedicated to improve in,” Remus interrupted Tonks, who was holding up four fingers now.

“And,” she continued, popping out her thumb to make the count five. “Now he’s with Sirius doing their regular dueling practices.”

Remus nodded. “Not to mention the hour-long workout with Miss Weasley this morning.”

After Tonk’s jaw dropped at this revelation, a smirk slowly replaced it. “Ah, young Ginevra, eh? I have a little competition for Harry’s affection, do I?”

Remus felt his eyes narrow at Tonks. He didn’t much appreciate the flirtatious display between Harry and her earlier. “Easy, Tonks. You don’t want to lead the boy on. He is a teenager, after all.”

With an evil glint in her eye, Tonks grinned at Remus. “A teenager who has grown up very much in the last few months, Moony.” Remus knew she was teasing him, but he couldn’t help the swell of jealousy in his gut. Harry was young. Remus was an older guy, compared to Tonks, and certainly compared to Harry. And Remus was also a werewolf, the greater of his concerns regarding a relationship with the wonderful woman in front of him.

“Maybe it’s not me who’s worried about a little competition, eh, Remus?”

Remus sighed at being called out on his envy. But his sigh was even more directed at Tonks bringing up this conversation again. “Tonks…” he said warningly.

“I know, I know,” she responded, rolling her eyes. “Don’t worry, I’ll convince you eventually.

“Besides,” she continued. “We digress. My point is that Harry isn’t human, I’m convinced.”

Remus laughed, glad for the change of topic. “Ah, to have the energy of a teenager again…”

Tonks let out some laughter as well. “And to have his determination and work ethic. What happened to the depressed and moody boy I met last year?”

“He lost his only parental figure and then got him back again,” Remus said, wisely. He spoke from experience. Sirius coming back from the dead had breathed new life into him as well. He had engaged in the Order with new enthusiasm and had made some progress on the werewolf front. He could honestly attribute this to the joy and hope that Sirius gave him.

They were interrupted from further conversation when Sirius pulled a very tired Harry alongside him into the kitchen. To Harry’s credit, Sirius also looked quite winded, but after the day Harry had had, it was no surprise he looked ready to faint.

Remus went to the refrigerator and pulled out the sandwiches he had made for Harry. Harry slumped into a chair at the table and gave a weak smile to Remus when he set the food down in front of him. His face was pale and his hands shaking as he brought the food to his mouth.

As Remus watched Harry tear through the food he had prepared, and just about every other edible material in the room, he had to wonder if Harry had been bitten by a werewolf at some point. The boy was ravenous. That said, he was extremely drained, and food and sleep were the only real solutions to that problem. Remus couldn’t blame the growing boy for eating Sirius out of house and home.

“Kreacher!” Sirius shouted after watching Harry eat for half an hour straight in amusement.

A grumbling elf appeared and glowered at his master. Kreacher had been commanded in no uncertain terms never to release any information regarding those entering the home unless he was told with very specific words to do so. Then, as his punishment for betraying Sirius, he had been commanded to tickle himself until he wet himself. Sirius watched with glee for nearly an hour until the poor house elf was done with his punishment. Then he was commanded to clean it up.

Remus didn’t approve, but it was a better punishment than most house elf owners would have given had they been killed by their elf’s betrayal. At least, if the dead could punish an elf.

“You will go to Diagon Alley and replace these cupboards with the same food I asked for last month.”

“Yes, Master,” Kreacher responded grumpily.

“Will you do anything besides this? Answer Honestly.”

Kreacher grumbled, defeated. “No, Master. And Kreacher will not be speaking with anyone except the workers in the shop.”

“Excellent,” Sirius said, and was about to send Kreacher on his way when Harry spoke up.

“Wait,” Harry said. “I’ll pick it up, Kreacher. Don’t worry.”

Three human and one house elf heads turned to Harry, who had lost his pale complexion and shaky body movements along with his hunger. “You’re not going to Diagon Alley, Harry,” Sirius said.

“Look, I feel bad. I ate most of this stuff, and Kreacher could use a rest. This place is looking much cleaner thanks to his work.”

Remus didn’t know house elves could look so surprised, but the emotion was displayed by Kreacher quite nicely.

Sirius had a similar reaction. “This place is looking clean? I think we worked you a little too hard, today, Harry.”

Harry smiled. “I said cleaner, not clean. He still has a lot to do, but I think he’s earned a break. Besides, I’ve wanted to visit Fred and George’s shop for a while.”

“We’ll take him,” Tonks said, and grabbed on to Remus’ arm again. He loved her touch, but hated the feelings of fear and dread that filled him with it.

“Sure,” Remus said, glad for an excuse to spend a little more time with Harry and Tonks. “It’ll be nice for him to get out and stretch his legs a bit.”

Sirius nodded. “Alright, but Molly’ll have my head if she finds out. So make it snappy. It’s late as it is.”

And so it was that Tonks, Remus, and Harry made their way to Diagon Alley. Harry took them straight to Gringotts so he could pull out some money to pay for the groceries. As they approached the goblins seated in the bank, Remus saw them send a messenger to the back at the sight of Harry.

Sure enough, just as Harry asked to be taken to his vault, Griphook approached from the back offices.

“Mister Potter, Albus Dumbledore told us not to expect you…”

Harry looked confusedly back. “Expect me for what?”

“Why, for the will of Sirius Black, of course. He left everything to you–you just need to sign a contract…”

“No, we don–“ Remus started but Harry cut him off, a slight grin on his face.

“Griphook, I have a hypothetical question for you. If a will were to be executed, and then the deceased found alive, what would happen?”

Griphook frowned. “Well, we would return all of the possessions, and any imperishable items purchased would go back to the living. But I imagine it would be hard out carry out that goal with exactness.”

Remus shook his head knowingly. It would appear that Harry did not particularly enjoy the hell he’d been through that day.

“Where do I sign?”

-0-0-0-

“So, Tonks, what do you know about physical enhancements through magic?” Harry asked as he checked himself out in his new robes. His reflection was very flattering, and he thanked Sirius silently for the second birthday present. He had already been through a couple of other shops, purchasing a few new books and replacing Sirius’ penknife that melted at the Department of Mysteries a few months earlier.

Tonks clicked her tongue while also looking Harry up and down. “Now, now, Harry. You don’t need any enhancements I can see.”

Harry fought yet another blush. Her new flirty attitude was fun, but when she demanded to take him clothes shopping with Sirius’ money, he had not been prepared for all of the double entendres and blatant sexual compliments that would follow.

“Nor that you can’t see,” Harry responded confidently, much to the consternation of both Remus and Madam Malkin. Remus sat in the corner of the shop, arms folded–clearly upset at the turn of events in the evening. He looked very out of place in this shop with his shabby robes, and refused to let Tonks buy him new robes with Sirius’ money. Harry, having seen the figure that was in the Black vault, did not feel all that guilty about living a little.

Tonks walked around Harry approvingly, looking at him far more closely than he would have felt comfortable with just a day earlier. But now he felt very comfortable around her. “I’m sure you’re right,” she whispered in his ear, and Harry felt an involuntary shiver go down his spine at the female contact. “We’ll take a set of these,” Tonks said to Madam Malkin, who walked quickly into the back to collect the robes and escape the risqué conversation taking place in her shop.

“So if you’re not looking for enhancements, why are you asking?”

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment. “It’s about what you were saying about magic growing like muscles,” Harry said. “If muscles are to grow, I have to break them down and let them repair themselves.

“Today, I certainly broke down my magical reserve, and I expect the repairing process to strengthen me.”

Tonks nodded. “Right you are.”

“So,” Harry continued. “It follows that the more magic I can use to break me down, the stronger I will get, right?”

“Yep.”

“So I was thinking of funneling my magic, every other day, into physical energy. That way, I wouldn’t have to sleep as much–I could devote more time to studying and training. And then I would be magically exhausted by the end of the day. The next day, I’d let my magic repair and start all over again.”

He saw Tonks look over at Remus, who was now looking very interested, albeit nervous.

“I suppose that could work,” Tonks said, slowly. “I’ve never heard of anyone trying that repeatedly…”

“We have no way of knowing how your body would respond to that much magic recouping any physical weaknesses,” Remus said, warningly.

“So we experiment,” Harry said, excited that they hadn’t shot down his idea entirely. “We’ll start out slow and see what happens. I’ll even agree to daily checkups from you lot or Madam Pomfrey!”

Tonks let out a snort. “As much as I would love performing a daily physical on you, Harry, Pomfrey would never let something like this happen. She believes that magic is for healing, not for strengthening.”

“But strengthening could help prevent the need to be healed!” Harry said adamantly.

Remus nodded. “You’re right, Harry. It’s just that there are so many examples of people–Voldemort, for example–using magic to darkly enhance their abilities. He has altered his body in such a disgusting way, but it is no doubt better suited for dueling and using his senses. What you are suggesting is not dark, but there is a negative precedent set.”

Harry knew that Moony spoke from experience. As a werewolf, his own physical senses and strength had been increased–and most of the wizarding world would hold this against him. “Then we just try it out a little bit,” Harry argued.

The two looked at each other and seemed to be having a conversation with their eyes. Harry smiled slightly at the emotional connection the two had developed over the past year. Finally, Tonks turned back to Harry. “If Dumbledore agrees, we’ll help.”

“Brilliant…” Harry responded, and Madam Malkin chose that moment to enter the front room again, anxious to have her customers pay and leave.

Pay and leave they did, and soon found themselves at Fred and George’s shop. The shop was fantastic, and both Tonks and Remus got lost in the small store, enjoying every little evil creation the twins had come up with. The store was very busy, and Harry felt a little bad when he flagged down the two owners and asked for a moment of their time.

“The place looks incredible,” Harry said, and pointed out several items that he would be purchasing before he left.

“Couldn’t have done it without you, mate,” Fred said, clapping Harry on the shoulder.

“Now, what do you want, Mr. Flatterpants?” George said with a grin.

Harry let out a chuckle. “Oh, George, you see right through me.”

Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out an item he stole from Grimmauld place before heading to Diagon Alley.

“No one is as good at picking apart magical items and using it to your advantage as you lot,” Harry complimented. “Just look at the Marauder’s Map. How you figured that out, I’ll never know.”

George made a ‘hurry up’ motion with his hands, telling Harry they didn’t need to be told of their accomplishments.

“Right,” Harry said, still grinning. “Well, this is a two-way mirror. I can speak with whoever is holding the other mirror, if I want–that is, if I hadn’t broken the other mirror. Anyway, I want you to figure this out. How to communicate long distance–and then put it right in my ear so I don’t have to hold it. Make it so that only I can hear what they are saying, and I can talk right back through it.”

Fred nodded. “A challenge, Brother.”

“Indeed,” George said. “I like challenges.”

Harry smiled gratefully. “I understand this will take away from the business a little bit, so I’ll pay you for it.” He didn’t think it necessary to tell them he had just come into a lot of money.

“Nonsense,” Fred said, waving his hand.

“We’ve a feeling this is for the Order,” George continued.

“And while our mother doesn’t want us joining…”

“Making this could be our ‘in.’”

Harry nodded. “Great…just, whenever you can, that’d be great.” Harry turned to leave.

“And Harry?”

Harry turned back. “Yes?”

George spoke up. “You know that we’d do this for you even if it didn’t benefit us at all, right?”

Harry felt happiness swell in his chest. “Thanks,” he replied earnestly.

The unlikely trio left the shop with a couple of bags, and Sirius’ vault just a little less full a short time later. They hurriedly bought the food that was their original target in Diagon Alley. They walked back to the Leaky Cauldron to take the floo home, where Tonks and Remus offered to take the food back so that Harry could go straight back to the Burrow.

“You’ve had a long day,” Remus commented, noting the sun’s position in the west. Harry couldn’t agree more. He had never been so exhausted in his life. He nodded gratefully.

“Thanks, both of you.”

“Oh I very much enjoyed my day, Harry,” Tonks said suggestively. She winked at him.

Harry smiled in what he hoped was a seductive manner, but decided he would have to check in the mirror later what facial expression he actually managed to give her. “Oh, I look forward to our alone time in the future, Tonks. Today’s was…very revealing.”

Tonks leaned in and whispered softly in his ear. “Not nearly as revealing as our next will be.”

Again, an involuntary shiver was sent down Harry’s spine as he held in his laughter and his hormones. Luckily, he was saved from having to respond by an irritated Remus.

“Okay, you two. Calm down…it’s like I’m back at Hogwarts the way you’re acting…”

Harry frowned and became adamant. “Hey, it’s her fault–I do still go to Hogwarts!”

They said their goodbyes over Tonks’ laughter and Harry took the floo to the Burrow. He emerged from the fireplace and headed straight for the stairs. He had a smile on his face, but every bone, muscle, and organ in his body felt battered. He couldn’t wait to crawl into bed and fall asleep. But as he reached the steps, he halted. He heard a distant melody, unfamiliar to him. Craning his head to find the source of the sound, his eyes found the back porch.

Dropping his shopping bags on the ground, Harry turned from the stairs, anxious to find the source of the beautiful music. He neared the door to the back porch, and the music grew louder still. It was a string instrument, but it sounded almost like a quartet was playing with harmonious chords shifting together seamlessly.

Harry reached the door and opened it slowly, trying not to make a sound for fear of startling the musician or simply drowning out any of the melody now filling his mind. As he stepped outside, silently, he peered toward where Ginny sat on a bench. The sun was now setting, the sky rich shades of orange and red. The dimming light lit Ginny’s red hair and illuminated several beautiful shades that Harry had never noticed before. It was captivating. But soon his attention was drawn to the instrument she held in her hands. It was not unlike a violin, but Ginny used her wand instead of a bow. And instead of a solitary note coming from each string she played, a series of notes that flowed together would sound.

Harry leaned against the wall of the Burrow, and shut his eyes. They were very heavy, after all. He let all of his thoughts and feelings on the day wash away as the music filled him. To Harry’s surprise, a scene unfolded behind his closed eyelids–almost like watching the telly at the Dursley’s. Harry was soaring over a forest, though he couldn’t tell if he was on a broom, or just floating along.

A light wind rustled the trees below him, the forest collectively swaying to the hauntingly gorgeous tune all around it. Harry let out a contented sigh.

The music stopped abruptly, and the vision of the forest disappeared. Instead, Harry was left feeling empty, staring at the boring and empty darkness of his eyelids.

He slowly opened his eyes to find Ginny staring at him in horror. Her face was as red as he had seen it since she was eleven years old. He smiled warmly at her. “Why’d you stop? That was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.”

He hadn’t thought it possible for her to grow redder, but she did. “I didn’t think you were coming back tonight…you stayed so late.”

Harry slowly walked towards her, his body’s pains reminding him of the day’s activities. “Yea…it was a pretty rough day, honestly. And that music was so soothing. Will you play again?”

Ginny shook her head. “No…I don’t like to play in front of people.”

Harry felt his mouth drop. “But, it was fantastic…what instrument is it?”

Clearing her throat, and clearly trying to get over her embarrassment, Ginny replied. “It’s called the oculin…and if played right, it’s supposed to display images as well as music.”

That’s what I saw!” Harry said excitedly. He thought the image fit the music too nicely to just be his imagination.

“You…you saw something?” Ginny looked shocked.

“Yea! I was flying over a forest, and it was swaying…oh I can’t describe it! But it was amazing. Ginny, you have to play some more.”

She looked slightly surer of herself, but was still unwilling to play. Harry would get her to play if it was the last thing he did.

“What was that song called?”

“It’s…umm Requiem of the Pines, I think.”

“Do you see things when you play?”

Ginny nodded slowly. “Only when I play outside–which I almost never do. My room is soundproof to the instrument to keep others from hearing.”

“Which is a sin!” Harry said sharply. “I can’t believe you’ve kept this talent hidden from me for so long!”

“I don’t know why, but I’ve never liked playing in front of people. Only for special occasions–and only for my family!”

“My birthday wasn’t a special enough occasion for you?” Harry asking, feigning hurt.

“Clearly not!” Ginny laughed. “Besides, there were too many people there that night.”

“Well, I only see the two of us right now,” Harry said, only now realizing that he had no idea where the others were.

Ginny seemed to read his thoughts. “Yea, Dad’s still at the Ministry and Mum took Ron and Hermione into town to do some shopping. I think she saw that I needed a break from them.” She glared at Harry accusingly. He smiled apologetically. He knew he was always her break from them, and he had gotten home several hours later today than he usually did. In fact, the sun was very nearly down, now.

Harry looked away from the setting sun and found Ginny’s eyes. She soon looked back into his own, tired eyes. “Well, Ginny,” he said softly. “I’m very sorry I left you tonight. But I would very much like to hear you play again. Just for me?”

Something flashed across her eyes before she looked away and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. She took a deep breath before lifting her oculin up to her chin and raising her wand to the strings.

“Okay, Harry. But I’m sorry if it doesn’t soun–“

“Ginny,” Harry interrupted. “You’re wonderful.”

She smiled softly and set her wand to the strings. The music began soft, and Harry let his eyes drift closed again. The tune was warm, inviting. It slowly grew and Harry felt himself swaying slightly with the melody. And then displayed before him was a beach, waves crashing as the melody ebbed and flowed. Harry felt his face break into a smile and he whispered softly, “That’s amazing…”

Minutes, hours, Harry wasn’t sure how much time he sat on the bench next to Ginny. After a time, he heard her humming along in a voice he had never known to be so pretty. He felt touched that she had opened up her secret to him like this.

Unlike her sudden stop before, this melody came to a slow and satisfying finish. After the music finished, Harry sat silent for several moments.

He slowly opened his eyes to find Ginny looking anxiously at him. When did her eyes become so deep and full of emotion? He slowly found his voice before proclaiming, “That is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. Thank you.”

Ginny blushed once more, but not out of embarrassment this time. “Thanks, Harry. Now get to bed, you look about ready to fall over.”

Harry was about to protest with a wave of his hand, but his arms did feel a little bit like lead at the moment. “Okay,” he conceded. “But only if you promise to play for me again sometime.”

Ginny smiled a brilliant smile. “Deal.”

And Harry trudged up the stairs and onto his bed, Ginny’s tune playing repeatedly in his mind.
Reviews 69
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear