Search:

SIYE Time:0:26 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Christmas with the Potters
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 15
Summary: Will a revelation ruin Harry's Christmas plans?
Hitcount: Story Total: 11152; Chapter Total: 3000





Author's Notes:
I just wanted to say that in no way am I meaning to trivialise such a sensitive subject, it just seemed a natural progression in writing all the other stories. If it offends anyone I'm deeply sorry, it's not my intention at all. The warning is purely because of Al coming out, there are no real sexual situations, well except for Harry and Ginny in the next chapter.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ch 2

Harry arrived home to a full house. Ginny was in the kitchen, checking her many lists again. James and his girlfriend, Alice were wrapping a couple of presents, Lily and her boyfriend Liam were discussing what to buy Teddy on their shopping trip tomorrow, and Al and his best friend Scorpius Malfoy were clearing a space for their Christmas tree.

“Harry, finally! You're home!” said Ginny, relieved. “I was this close...”

She held up her index finger and thumb, then went back into the kitchen.

“Yeah, we managed to hold her down so the Ministry didn't get any Howlers sent to them,” chuckled James.

“Tied her to the chair!” quipped Al.

“Hid all the quills!” laughed Lily.

“I can hear you,” sing songed Ginny, which made everyone laugh.

“We've got your back, Dad, don't you worry,” said Al, coming over to slap Harry on the back. “So, are you going to get changed? 'Cos then we can go.”

“Changed?” asked Harry, confused.

“To go to Hogwarts and pick up our tree from Hagrid. He owled Mum today; there's a problem with a unicorn in the Forbidden Forest and he really doesn't want to leave the grounds, in case it needs him. So Mum said we'd go and get the tree ourselves, which is why Liam and Scor are here. They offered to help.”

“Oh, okay. Give me ten minutes. I just need to talk to your Mum,” said Harry.

Al nodded, “Sure Dad, we'll be here in the lounge going through the decorations.”

Harry watched him go, wishing he knew how to talk to Al about everything. He went into the kitchen. Ginny looked up, smiling broadly as he held up the bottle of champagne.

“From Kingsley, with his best wishes,” said Harry, handing it over with a smile.

“Ooh, it's my favourite, I can't wait to open this tomorrow night. Now, sit down and I'll get your tea,” said Ginny, getting up.

“Actually love, the boys and I are going to go and get the tree, so I think I'll eat when we get home. That way they can do all the work setting it up. I'm really not hungry anyway,” he shrugged.

Ginny came and hugged him. “Are you okay? You look like you've got something on your mind. Is it work? I know you've been worried about Al since the last lot of evaluations came out, is that it?” she asked.

Harry kissed her. “We'll talk later, yeah? Right now, I want to go and get the tree,” he said.

He went and got changed, then all the boys went to Hogwarts and met with Hagrid, who took them to pick out the tree. Since they all couldn't agree on the perfect one, and no-one wanted to face the wrath of Ginny with the 'wrong' tree, it took them a bit longer than they thought. However, it was just over an hour later and they were home.

Ginny, Lily and Alice had been baking Christmas biscuits while they'd been away, so the house was warm and smelt wonderful when they returned. The men left the tree in the lounge and headed to the kitchen for hot chocolate, eggnog and some 'fresh out of the oven' biscuits, saying they needed re-fueling before doing the tree. There was lots of laughter and good natured ribbing as they discussed various friends, gifts purchased and plans for the holidays.

These were the times that Harry loved the most, him and his family, happy and safe. Tonight, however, he felt like a fraud. He felt like any minute he'd yell out and spoil everyone's fun. He decided to go and eat his tea in his study, 'he might be able to get the rest of the evaluations signed off while he was there,' he thought. He left the lounge, knowing Ginny was watching him carefully.

He'd only been in his study for about fifteen minutes when there was a knock on the door.

“Come in,” he called out, pulling the papers out of his bag.

James entered the study. “You're not seriously doing work on Christmas Eve Eve, are you? Mum will be sending someone a Howler if she catches you, you know that, right?”

Harry laughed weakly. “Just these few to sign, and that's it, I promise. What's up?”

“Well, ah, there was something I wanted to talk to you about, well, let you know, really, I mean, I thought you should know, you know and-”

“James, spit it out, son,” said Harry, fearing James was going to be the one to tell him about Al. Merlin, how would the other kids take it, how would Ginny take it? He'd have to tell the whole family, and soon. If Al had already told Kingsley, then it would soon be out, and Harry was sure Al would rather tell the family himself.

“-so, what do you think Dad?” asked James, smiling nervously.

“I'm sorry, what?” asked Harry, staring at James as if he had never seen him.

“I said, I'm planning on asking Ali to marry me. Tomorrow night. What do you think?”

“M-Marry you? You, getting married?” asked Harry, surprised.

“Well, not for a year at least, maybe even two. I'll be finished my training by then, and be a full fledged Auror, and Ali will be done with her Healer training. I just wanted her to know that I am fully committed to her. We'll start saving for our own place, neither of us want a fancy wedding, just something small, maybe at the Burrow,” said James, smiling happily.

“Small? With the Weasleys there's no such thing as small. I know what you mean, though. So, you and Ali have talked about this, you've made plans?” asked Harry.

James nodded eagerly. “Oh yeah, I mean, we've been together for a while now, it's the next step, right. Marriage in a year or two, work for a bit, before the kids come along, hey Grandpa!” nudged Harry.

Harry looked at his eldest son, shocked. “G-G-Grandpa? Me, a Grandpa?”

James nodded and shrugged. “Or Papa Potter, if you prefer,” he snickered.

At Harry's look, he stopped smiling.

“So, I'm going to Hogwarts tomorrow afternoon. Hagrid is letting me use one of the carriages and a Thestral, and I'm going to take Ali for a fly around. Then we'll go to our special place, and I'll ask her. I'll have champagne and roses waiting for her, it's going to be perfect. It, ah, it might mean that I'll miss going to Godric's Hollow, though. So, what do you think?” he repeated

Harry stared at his son for a moment. 'When did he grow up and become a man?' he wondered. He threw his arms around his son, and hugged him. “Congratulations James, I think it sounds wonderful. Ali is a great girl, we've grown to love her as one of own. It's wonderful news. I'm sure you'll have a great night, don't worry about Godric's Hollow, there'll be other Christmas Eve's,” he said.

“Thanks Dad. I better get back out there, they should have the tree set up by now and probably started the decorating. You coming?” asked James.

“Go ahead son, I'll be out soon,” said Harry, sitting back in his chair. James left and Harry pondered. His son was getting married. Married! Harry shook his head and started to get stuck into those papers when there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” said Harry, hoping it would be Al. Lily poked her head around the door. “Dad, got a sec?”

“For you, always,” said Harry, smiling at his daughter.

She came and sat on the edge of his desk. “Daddy, you still haven't said if it's all right if I go with Liam and his family to Ireland for New Years Eve. I really need to let Liam's dad know if I'm going or not. Please Daddy, I really would like to go,” said Lily, batting her eyes at him, a trick that always worked on Harry.

He laughed, and patted her leg. “It's fine with me, Lil, as long as it's fine with your mum. Do I need to send an owl to Seamus, letting him know?”

“No, it's fine. I'm having tea with Mr Finnegan, Brandon and his date, and Liam tomorrow night, so I'll let him know then. Er, I might be a bit late going to Godric's Hollow, is that okay?”

“Lil, it's fine, don't rush your meal. There'll be other Christmas Eves at Godrics Hollow. James has other plans, too. Really, it's fine,” said Harry, giving Lily a hug.

“Thanks Dad, you're the best,” said Lily, hugging him back.

His hugs were the best, making her feel safe and secure. She was daddy's little girl, and had the tattoo to prove it.

“We're starting the decorating, you coming?” asked Lily, heading for the door.

When Harry indicated the pile of papers, she shook her head. “Better hide them quick if Mum catches you,” she winked.

She left the room, and once again, Harry turned his attention to his paperwork.

Knock knock!

“Oh for Merlin's sake, can't a guy get any work done? Come IN” he bellowed at the door, throwing down his quill.

Ginny entered, levitating a tray which held a pot of tea and a plate of biscuits. The smell soon overtook the room. Ginny followed the tray to Harry's desk.

“Problem, Potter?” she asked.

Harry shook his head, as she poured him a cup of tea. He downed it in one gulp, and eagerly went back for another.

“Are you doing work in here instead of helping us decorate?” asked Ginny.

Harry froze, a biscuit half way to his mouth. He shoved it in and nodded, then started coughing as a crumb caught in his throat. Ginny patted his back.

“It's, cough, fine love, cough, just got to, cough, get these, cough, signed, then I'm off, cough, till after New Years, cough.”

“Really! A whole week together, that's wonderful! Shall we go away somewhere? Oh, this is great news Harry, thank you, love. It'll be nice to be together, just the two of us. Well, I'll leave you to it, and tell the others not to disturb you, okay? Please don't be too long though, we want you out here with us, love; it's not the same without you in charge,” said Ginny, closing the door as she left.

Harry finished his second cup of tea and had another biscuit. He started to pick up his quill again, when he heard the sound of laughter. 'It sounds like they're having a great time out there,' thought Harry, with a pang.

Usually he was the one in charge of the tree and decorations, suggesting new places to put them every year, knowing he would get howled down by Ginny and the kids, and they would all end up in the same places. He loved it, he loved this time of the year, so why was he shutting himself away in his study? Bugger the paperwork, he'd do it in the morning and floo over to the Ministry, drop them off on Nancy's desk, and floo home. With that, Harry got up, intending to go and join his family in the lounge.

Harry opened his door, just as Al had his hand up to knock on it. “Oops, sorry Dad. Er, can we talk?”

Harry stood aside and gestured for Al to come in. Harry felt strangely calm, as he sat in a comfy chair instead of behind his desk. He waited for Al to speak.

Al wandered around Harry's study, as if he hadn't been in here a hundred times before. He looked at all the photos Harry had on the wall. Photos of him with his brother and sister dominated them. Looking at them, remembering when they were taken, made Al smile.

Harry cleared his throat. Al glanced at him, and Harry raised an eyebrow. Al took a breath.

“Dad, I...I want to quit the Aurors,” said Al in a big gush.

He waited for a response. Nothing.

“Effective immediately,” said Al, watching his Dad carefully. Still nothing.

“I'm giving the required weeks notice, which coincides happily with my Christmas break,” said Al, leaning forward, staring intently at Harry. Absolutely no response.

“I don't want you and Mum to worry, though, I've got something else lined up,” said Al.

Again Harry raised an eyebrow in query, but said nothing.

“It's a great job, Dad, no, it's a great career move. I'm really excited about it, actually I can't wait for Christmas and New Year to be over so I can get started, isn't that crazy?”

Al laughed, but Harry said nothing.

“Dad, come on, you're killing me here, say something, yell at me, tell me you're disappointed in me, tell me I'm a quitter, tell me anything just, please, say something!” yelled Al to his Dad.

Harry took a breath but said nothing. Frustrated, Al jumped up to leave. It was only as he got to the door and started to angrily open it, that Harry cast a wandless, soundless locking spell on the door. Al swung around.

“I hate it when you do that,” he said.

He remembered times of being called in to his dad's study to discuss a bad grade, an outburst of accidental magic and an indiscretion involving James and him and the neighbours cat. His dad had also given him 'The Talk' in this room, he remembered. He looked at his dad.

“This new path, will it make you happy?” Harry asked. Al nodded.

“Well then, that's all I need to know,” said Harry, slapping his thighs and getting up. “I might have more questions later. I'll come and find you, and we'll talk about them, okay? Of course, your mum will want to know the ins and outs, but hey, that's your mum. Now, let's go do some decorating,” said Harry, going to the door.

“Dad, wait. Please. There's something else I want to tell you, no, I need to tell you,” said Al.

“Can it wait? The decorating will be done by the time I get out there, and everything will be in the wrong place,” said Harry, smiling at his son.

“I think it's waited long enough. I want to tell you tonight, now. Please Dad, come back and sit down,” pleaded Al.

Harry came back and sat down. Al paced nervously. “I've wanted to tell you for so long, Dad, honest I have, but the time was never right, no, that's not true."

Al took a breath. “The time was never right for me, but now, I really feel that things are coming together for me. I'm starting a new job, and, well, Dad, I'm in a relationship. I'm really happy Dad, and I want you to know that. I want to share it with you and the family. But I can't, not until you know the truth.”

Harry said simply, “Okay.”

Al continued, “I never meant to lie to you or Mum, or any of the family; it was just easier to go along with what you all thought. Not that it's your fault, or anything, I just, well, it took me a long time to face it and accept it, and so I knew it would take everyone else a while too.”

“Son, tell me,” said Harry, gently.

“I mean, I always felt different, but I thought it was because of you, I mean that I was your son. Plus the fact that I look so much like you and all. I asked James once if he felt different because our surname was Potter and he asked me, how could he feel different? He was a Potter and that's all he knew; he could either deny it it and be miserable, or be the best damn Potter he could be. I gotta say Dad, for James, that was pretty profound. It really made me stop and think.” Al chuckled nervously.

“Al, just say the words, son,” said Harry.

“So I went away and thought about it. You know the year I was sixteen and moody, well, that was why. I guess I was trying to find my way. Everybody expected me to go into the Aurors like you and James, but I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do, it wasn't me. That's why I messed around a bit after Hogwarts, doing different jobs. The best thing I ever did though, was going on that trek around Europe, you know, just beore I joined the Aurors. I met a lot of people, people like me. I finally fitted in somewhere. I didn't feel different, I felt accepted. I fell in love with someone, and amazingly, he fell in love with me, too,” said Al.

He froze, aware of what he had just said.

Harry got up and went over to him. He put his hands on Al's shoulders, marvelling that Al easily topped him by a couple of inches.

“Tell me Al, say the words,” said Harry.

Al looked into eyes just like his own. They showed concern, but most of all, love.

Al took a deep breath. “Dad, I'm gay.”






Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear