Search:

SIYE Time:10:23 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Christmas with the Potters
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 15
Summary: Will a revelation ruin Harry's Christmas plans?
Hitcount: Story Total: 11153; Chapter Total: 2832







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Tell me Al, say the words, son,” said Harry.

“Dad, I'm gay,” said Al.

Al let out a breath. He'd said it. It was out there. His dad knew.

“How does it feel, saying the words?” asked Harry. “You look like you might pass out.”

“I feel...free. I feel light, like a load has lifted off me. I've told you and you're still here, talking to me, holding me,” said Al, almost dumbfounded.

“Well, it's my house, where do you think I would go?” asked Harry, chuckling.

Al smiled. “You did hear me, right? You heard me say it. I'm gay. I'm in love with a man, and he loves me.”

“I heard you, Al,” said Harry. “Is it okay if I say something now?”

Al sighed and nodded, as if expecting a lecture.

Harry smiled. “First of all, Kingsley told me this afternoon about your new job. I was a bit surprised at first, but the more I've thought about it, well, I reckon you're right. I think you'll do just fine working with Kingsley. I'm excited for you about that.”

Al nodded, worrying about what was going to be said next.

“Al, when you, James and Lily were born, I was so worried for you, for all of you. Being the child of Harry Potter hasn't always been the easiest thing. I knew you felt it the hardest, because they say you look so much like me, you handsome devil,” grinned Harry.

That got a smile out of Al.

“I know you said it didn't seem to bother James, and it's true he's blazed his own path most of the time, but we've had a couple of conversations in this room about that very fact. Lily, being a girl, didn't have it so bad. It was you that I was worried about, you who always seemed to feel it the most, the so-called expectations. I never wanted that for you; I just wanted you to be you, and to be happy. Whether you were in Gryffindor or Slytherin, whether you're straight or gay, it didn't matter to your Mum and me. I'm just sorry I let you down, that you felt you couldn't tell me,” said Harry sadly.

“What! No Dad, you didn't let me down,” protested Al.

“I did, son. I wanted to be the kind of dad you could come to for anything. I knew you were having a hard time when you were sixteen, but we just put it down to hormones. When you were having a hard time finding the right place to work, we put it down to finding your feet after Hogwarts. The truth is, once you accepted who you were, everything has fallen into place; you've met someone, and now you've got the job you want. I'm happy for you, Al. Really, truly happy,” said Harry with tears in his eyes as he hugged his son.

Both men pulled apart, and wiped their eyes. “So, when do we get to meet him?” asked Harry.

“Well, er, you kind of already know him,” said Al, blushing, as he opened the door.

“There you are, come on, we're nearly done,” said Scorpius, popping his head around the corner and looking down the hall.

Al nodded. Harry's jaw dropped open.

“Scorpius. Scorpius Malfoy is your, your...”

“Partner. For now, let's use partner. Boyfriend sounds so teenagery, don't you think?” laughed Al.

“I thought he was dating Rose?” asked Harry.

Al blushed again. “Well, you see, Rose knows about me and Scor, and she helped us. Nobody thought anything of it when we'd say we would be going somewhere, the three of us, but then Rose would give us time alone.”

Harry had a sudden thought. Going back about eighteen months ago, when Lily got a 'Dad' tattoo, her boyfriend's brother Brandon had taken her to a reputable tattoo parlour. Harry thought Brandon was bad news as he was heavily tattooed, wore leather and rode a motorcycle. Ron had teased him because he was Seamus's son, but then appeased him because at least his daughter wasn't sleeping with a Malfoy, whereas Ron's was. Only now, it wasn't true. His son was sleeping with a Malfoy!

Harry groaned.

“Ron's going to be unbearable to me, about you being with Scorpius. Oh, I mean in a fun, teasing way, but you let me know if he says anything wrong, okay?” said Harry.

Ron had a tendency to talk first then think about what he said, which usually got him in trouble. He wasn't so bad now he was older.

Al laughed. “It's okay, Dad. Uncle Ron's going to have his hands full anyway. You see, while Rose was giving me time alone with Scor, she had her own romance happening. She's been seeing Brandon Finnegan, Liam's brother. Seems Uncle Ron's sweet little Rosie likes the bad boys. You know how Lily's got her belly button pierced? Well, you don't want to know what Rose has got pierced!”

“Lily has her belly button pierced? When? Wait, really? Rose and that, that Brandon boy? Poor Ron!” laughed Harry.

“And you don't want to miss the fireworks when Hugo comes out, Dad,” said Al.

“Hugo's gay, too?” asked Harry.

“Flaming, Dad, flaming. Uncle Ron won't know what's hit him, and I don't know how Aunt 'Mione will take it. I honestly don't know how they don't know. Mum knows. She knew about me, too. Asked me when I was thirteen, directly, just asked if there was anything I wanted to tell her. Of course I lied to her. She asked me again, when I was sixteen and a moody little shit. She told me then, that no matter what, I could always come to you and her, and that we would always listen, always be there. I should have trusted that, Dad. For that, I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure James and Lily know, too. Dad, you're really okay with all this?”

“Al, all I have ever wanted for my family is for us to be together and be happy and healthy. I can see that you're happy; in fact, I don't think I've ever seen you look happier. Now, no more apologies. Come on, let's go join the mob,” said Harry, drawing Al down the hall.

“Where have you been?” asked Lily.

“You're too late, we're finished!” came the cries from the others

“It's all wrong, we have to take every thing down and start again,” joked Harry.

For that, he had a couple of pillows thrown at him.

Harry looked around. Everything was in its rightful place, where it was every year. The decorations were mostly handmade; each had a sentiment behind them. Some of them were from Harry's parents, rescued from Godric's Hollow after the war.

“So what are the plans for tomorrow everyone?” he asked. “I'm going to have to Floo to the office tomorrow, just to drop off some papers. Shall we meet in Diagon Alley say, ten o'clock, do what we have to do there, have lunch, then maybe head to Muggle London if we need to? I know some of you have plans for later, so we won't plan on meeting for tea, but can we agree to meet here at eight tomorrow night, to turn the lights on the tree?” asked Harry.

“Don't forget the angel, Dad,” said Lily. Her brothers laughed.

Amongst the decorations from Godric's Hollow, they had found an angel to sit on top of the tree. The angel wore a silver dress and had long red hair. Two year old Lily called it the Lily angel, after her Nana Potter, and since then, Lily got to be the one to put it on top of the tree.

Everyone agreed with Harry's plans, then James and Alice decided to leave. Lily went out to say goodbye to Liam 'in private' before he Apparated home. Al and Scor had disappeared too. Ginny had retreated to the kitchen. Harry went to find her.

“Hey love, do you need a hand with the dishes?” he said, watching her. She usually used magic, so he knew she had something on her mind.

“Are you mad that I have to go to the office tomorrow? Honestly, I'm going to go in, sign the damn forms, leave them on Nancy's desk and go.”

“Promise?” asked Ginny.

“You can send me a Howler if I'm longer than half an hour!” laughed Harry.

Ginny laughed too, then sighed.

“Your study seemed to be the place to be tonight,” said Ginny, finishing up the dishes and wiping the sink.

“Yes, you're right. From all our children, actually,” said Harry, pulling her into his arms.

“Tell me,” said Ginny, nuzzling into his chest, where she could feel his heart beating.

“Well, son number one came to me to tell me he's proposing to Ali tomorrow night. He probably won't make it to Godric's Hollow.”

“Oh Harry, our James, getting married. I-I can't believe it,” said Ginny, tears welling up. “Oh, I hope he does it romantically and makes it a night to remember,” she said.

“Does a Hogwarts carriage pulled by thestrals, with champagne and flowers ring any bells, Mrs Potter?” said Harry cheekily, remembering a special Valentine's Day shared by Ginny and James at Hogwarts.

“My, my, I thought he would have improved his technique since he was eleven. Let's hope he buys a decent bottle of champagne. Oh, I should give him the one Kingsley gave us, it's the best.”

“Love, you can offer, but I think he wants to do this all by himself,” said Harry, softly.

Ginny thought about it and nodded. “You're right, love. So, who was next?”

“Lily came to me to ask if it was all right if she went to Ireland with Seamus and his family, to ring in the New Year. They'll stay for the weekend. I told her it was all right with me, but to check with you,” said Harry, slowly swaying with Ginny.

“She came and told me she had spoken to you. I told her it was fine. You realise that ahe and Liam will be sharing a room? I think it won't be long before she's telling us they want to move in together. So, that leaves Al,” said Ginny, enjoying being in Harry's arms.

“He's-he's,” started Harry. Ginny pulled back.

“What? What is it, Harry?” she asked.

“He's quit the Aurors. Starting in the New Year, he'll be working with Kingsley. Well, Kingsley and me. Gin, Kingsley wants to groom Al to be the next Minister for Magic!” said Harry, excitedly.

“What, really? Oh my god, that is amazing news! Why didn't he announce it tonight- he was with family- we could have celebrated,” said Ginny.

“Well, Ali, Liam and Scorpius were here, maybe he wanted to wait till it was just us. Besides, he wanted to tell me because he actually had to quit, you know, officially,” he said, pulling Ginny back into his arms and swaying with her again. “Mmm you smell good, like cinnamon and flowers.”

“You know, I really thought he was going to tell you that he's gay. Poor Scorpius, he kept wondering what was taking so long, I tried to keep him busy, but he was so worried-”

“You knew! You knew he was gay, and you didn't tell me. I was blindsided tonight. I actually found out from Kingsley, when he told me about Al's new job. Why didn't you tell me, Gin?”

“I did, Harry. When he was thirteen, I told you he was having trouble accepting things, and that I thought he was gay. I asked Al, and he denied it. I didn't want to push it, so I let it drop. I told you then, and I told you when he was sixteen and we thought it was hormones. Well it was, in a way, he was developing feelings for Scorpius, even then. He didn't want to see it, and neither did you. Again, I asked, again he denied, so again, I dropped it. But I think something changed for them when they went to Europe. You were okay with it, weren't you? When he told you?”

Harry took her hand and led her out the kitchen and up the stairs, turning out the lights, but leaving a lamp on for Lily and Al. He took her into their bedroom, and cast a silencing spell on it.

“Yes, love, I told him I was okay with it. It's the truth, I am. Happy that he's happy, happy that's he's in love, and loved back, happy that he's excited about the new job.”

“That's great, Harry. Oh, I can't wait till he tells me,” said Ginny.

“He said that you knew, asked him outright. He told me you said to him he could come to us and we'd always be there for him, we'd always listen. You're a great mum, Gin,” he said kissing her slowly.

“We're good parents, Harry, you're a great dad. Your kids love you, look up to you and respect you. Al would have been worried about your reaction because he, like his siblings, never want to let you down,” said Ginny, returning his kisses.

“Come on, Mrs Potter, let's put that silencing charm to good use,” said Harry, cheekily.

Next day, as arranged, they all met in Diagon Alley. Each armed with a list, they would pair off, go off and buy someone's present, then return, check their list and go off with someone else. It was a crazy way to shop on Christmas Eve, but they all had fun. They had a late lunch at the Leaky Cauldron, greeting Hannah and Neville Longbottom, who was home from Hogwarts for the holidays.

The children soon left for their own individual plans. Harry and Ginny lingered, talking with Hannah and Neville about James and Alice, although Harry and Ginny never mentioned James's plans for the night. After, they flooed over to visit with Luna, Rolf, and her boys, who had returned from Sweden. They were planning the sale of the Lovegood home. Luna persuaded them to stay for tea, then as dusk was falling, Harry and Ginny made their way to Godric's Hollow.

Ginny stopped to purchase a lovely wreath, and hand in hand, they made their way through the cemetery. Harry placed it on the grave site, and stood back.

“It's strange, it's the first Christmas in so long since it's just been the two of us here,” commented Ginny, tucking her head into Harry's shoulder. He leaned against her.

“Sorry Mum, not this Christmas,” said Lily, coming over to stand on Harry's other side. He lifted his arm and put it around her.

“This is our family tradition,” agreed Al, standing behind Ginny, his arm slung over her shoulder.

“All our family,” called James, as he made his way to his family, standing behind Harry and Lily.

“What are you doing here? Lily, you had dinner plans? James, you were, Merlin, did you- did she say yes?” asked Ginny excitedly.

James had a big smile on his face. “Yep, she said yes. I'm engaged. I'm gonna marry Ali!” he said.

“Yay!” cried Lily.

“Congrats, bro,” said Al.

“She should be here,” said Harry. “Go and get her James.”

“No need Dad, she's right there,” said James, looking over Ginny's shoulder.

They all turned to see Scorpius, Liam and Alice huddled together outside the gates of the cemetery.

“Let's go to the church. Merry Christmas, Mum and Dad,” said Harry.

James, Al and Lily went to get their partners. Ginny and Harry followed behind.

They all went in and lit a candle. After, they greeted Father O'Reilly, the Minister for the church for the last twenty-five years.

“Ah, it's so good to see the Potters again. You family is expanding, it seems,” grinned Father O'Reilly to Harry and Ginny.

Harry and Ginny looked at their children with their partners, and smiled back at the Minister.

“You know, for a little church, we handle a great number of occasions. We do funerals, and christenings,” all the Potter children had been christened in this little church, “we do bingo, but the one thing we do really well is weddings. I do hope you'll keep us in mind when the time comes, Mr Potter.”

James put his arm around Alice and nodded, smiling.

“It's lovely to see you all so happy. I truly know it's Christmas when the Potter family come to visit. My very best wishes to you all.”

They thanked him, and listened to the choir sing a couple of carols, then they headed back to the Potter family home.

They Apparated home, and headed straight for the lounge. “Time for the angel, and then the lights,” cried Lily.

“Hello, is there anyone home?” cried a voice from the fireplace.

“Teddy, hey, come on through,” called Harry, opening the Floo now they were home.

Teddy Lupin and his wife Victoire came through. “Oh good, we didn't miss the angel or the lights. Sorry we didn't make it to Godric's Hollow. We went to see Grandma after dinner with Vicky's parents.

“How is Andromeda?” asked Ginny.

“She has good days and bad days, but the news we gave her certainly perked her up. Vicky and me, we're having a baby,” cried Teddy, with a big smile on his face.

Harry came over to hug Teddy. “Congratulations, Teddy, your parents would have been so happy right now,” he said quietly, for Teddy's ears alone.

Congratulations and hugs were passed around, especially as James also shared his news of his and Alice's engagement.

“Come on, we have to do this now or it will be Christmas Day!” cried Lily.

She pulled her precious angel out of it's box and put it solemnly on the tree. “Hello again, angel Lily. I put you on the top of our tree so you can watch over us for this festive season, and bring us good luck for the coming year.”

“Well said, Lil,” said Harry, kissing his daughter on the forehead.

They all stood back as, with wave of his wand, Harry turned the Christmas tree lights on. They all oohed and aahed at the pretty colours.

“You know, I think it's time someone else put angel Lily on top of the tree. Next year, Teddy, you can help your little baby put it on. Maybe we should make it that it's the youngest that gets to do it. Teddy's little one will probably do it for a couple of years, then James and Ali will have a baby, then Teddy will have another one, then I might have one, and Al, well-”

Everyone went quiet. Al tried to smile, as Scorpius put his arm around him.

Harry spoke up. “Al and Scorpius might have a baby. They can get a surrogate, or adopt.”

Everyone went quiet, as the ramifications of what Harry had said sunk in. Then they all crowded around Al and Scorpius, offering them their love and support. Harry saw Ginny and Al share a special moment.

Lily said, “Oh you and Scorpius will have beautiful babies.”

Al laughed, “Really, Lil, I'm out of the closet for a minute and now you want us to have a baby! Not gonna happen any time soon, sis!”

“Hell, with you all out of the house soon, maybe your mum and I might give it another go!” teased Harry, throwing his arm around Ginny's shoulders.

“Well, it wouldn't be for lack of practice,” said Ginny, kissing Harry on his cheek

“Ugh, Mum!”

“Too much information, Mum!”

“You dog, Dad!”

“James!” cried Ginny, Ali and Lily.

Everyone laughed. Teddy decided to get Vicky home as she was starting to tire. Everyone was planning to leave.

Lily rushed to give a bag to Teddy and Vicky. “First present for the baby. I've had it for years, I got it from Uncle Ron and Uncle George one day when we were shopping in Diagon Alley. It's ready for a new home.”

Teddy pulled out a stuffed purple dragon. “Cute, thanks, Lil!” he said, kissing her cheek. Vicky waved her thanks as they Flooed home. James and Ali also left, promising to Floo over mid morning.

“Right, Al and Lily, I'll leave you to close the house up after you've said goodnight to your partners.
Scorpius, Liam, we'll see you tomorrow, seasons greetings to your parents. Ginny, my love, let's go upstairs,” said Harry, presenting his arm.

“Partners?” asked Ginny, as they headed upstairs.

“Boyfriends is just so teenagery, don't you think?” laughed Harry, as they entered their bedroom.

“Now, let's get you undressed,” said Harry, eagerly.

“Wait a minute, Harry, I was cleaning the other day-”

“In other words, snooping for presents!” laughed Harry, knowing his wife.

“-and I found these!” said Ginny triumphantly, waving a pair of boxers in the air. “Remember these! They glow in the dark and they say, kiss me, touch me, tickle me, ah Harry, what are you doing?” she cried, as Harry grabbed her and put her on the bed.

“I'm being a good husband and doing what you tell me to do, Boss. Now let's see, you said kiss me, touch you, tickle you, what else is there?”

“Harry, stop, I mean, don't stop, but, oh my stars, I didn't even get to that one yet! Nox!”

The lights went out, but the fun went on. Twice.

FINITE


Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear