Search:

SIYE Time:16:44 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Normal Day at the Potters.
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Neville Longbottom
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 10
Summary: Harry and Ginny have just returned home from another holiday, when they get a call from one of their children. Set after Diamonds and Pearls.
Hitcount: Story Total: 9046; Chapter Total: 3104





Author's Notes:
This is for Arnel. I had honestly thought I had finished with my little Potter family series. Then a message from Arnel, with a hint of an idea, lead to this. It does contain references from my other stories, but can be read alone. It wasn't the story I set out to write, but just what flowed. I won't promise this is the last, either. Arnel, I hope you, and everyone enjoys it. A/N at bottom.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny and Harry were enjoying a leisurely shower together when they heard a voice come from the fireplace in their bedroom.

“Ignore it,” said Harry, soaping Ginny's body. “Nobody should even know we're home.”

“I owled the kids last night to let them know,” murmured Ginny, enjoying the ministrations of Harry's hands on her body.

“Then they should be letting us sleep in,” said Harry, running the wash cloth over Ginny lovingly.

Ginny laughed. “I don't think this is what they would call sleeping in.”

She turned to embrace Harry, but hearing someone franticly calling her name made her pause. “I think it's Lil.”

She grabbed a towel and stepped out the shower, heading back to their bedroom. “Lil, is that you?”

“Mum, thank Merlin you're home. Can you and Dad come over to Al and Scor's right now. Please, Mum, I, oh no-”

“Lil, Lily are you there? Is everything okay? Lily?” asked Ginny, worriedly.

There was no answer. Ginny went back into the bathroom. Harry popped his head out and tried to entice her back in, until he saw the look on her face.

“What's wrong? Was it Lily?” he asked.

“Yes, but I didn't have time to talk to her, she just asked us to come over to Al and Scorpius's place. You'd better get dressed, Harry,” said Ginny.

She went back into their bedroom and got dressed. Harry got out the shower, and he too got dressed. Together they made their way downstairs and prepared to leave via the floo in their lounge room.

They arrived in Al and Scorpius's cosy cottage. There was no sign of anybody, no sounds of anything unusual. Harry and Ginny looked at each other, silently drawing out their wands. Harry headed for the kitchen while Ginny headed to the rear of the house where the bedrooms were.

“Harry, here!” cried Ginny.

Harry quickly moved from the kitchen where the makings of breakfast were, through the lounge and down the hall. He saw Ginny come out of a room with two wriggling things under her arm.

“Here,” she said passing them to him, and going back into the room. He looked down at what she'd placed in his arms.

“Grandpa!” they chorused.

He looked into the identical faces of his first grandchildren, Brian and Bradley Potter. They were three and a half, born to James and Alice. They reminded Harry so much of James when he was younger, with their mischievous ways. Being twins, Ginny said they were also channelling Fred and George.

Harry carried them out to the lounge and sat down with them on his knee. He was surprised at how much they'd grown in the three months since he and Ginny had left for their trip to Australia.

“Hi, boys. I've missed you. Did you miss me and Nana?” asked Harry, giving each boy a hug.

They squirmed in the hug. “Yes, we missed you and Nana. What did you bring us?” asked Brian, the more talkative of the two.

Harry chuckled. “Well, we haven't even unpacked yet, but I'm sure Nana got a little something for you.”

“Yay for Nana,” cheered Bradley. “Want Nana now.”

He got off Harry's knee and started to run down the hall. Harry quickly stopped him.

“Woah, stay here with me for a minute. Do you know what's going on down there?” he asked.

Bradley nodded. “Auntie Lil is sick.”

Brian added, “Her face is green.”

Bradley said, “ She made a big mess in Annie's room.”

“Why are you guys here? Why is Lily here looking after you all?” asked Harry, thinking aloud.

The boys looked at each other, then Harry and shrugged. They all turned to look as Ginny came out of a bedroom carrying ten month old Annie, Al and Scorpius's adopted daughter.

Al and Scorpius had been approved as adoptive parents three years previously, but they were put on a waiting list with thousands of other couples. They'd nearly had a child eighteen months ago but it had fallen through. Then six months ago they'd received the owl they had been waiting for. Tiny Anne Marie had come into their lives; a magical baby found in a Muggle orphanage. Her adoption had completed their little family.

Harry looked at his wife, as she sat down next to him on the couch. They boys gathered around to look at their baby cousin.

“What's going on, Gin? They boys said Lil is sick, is she all right? Why are they all here, anyway? Where's Al or Scor, or James or Ali?”

Ginny sighed. “It seems we've returned in the middle of a flu epidemic. Ali has been pulling double shifts at St Mungo's, and James was supposed to watch the boys, but half of the Aurors are off sick. So he asked Lily to watch the boys today, as she's on summer holidays.”

Lily was a teacher at the local magical school for ages five to ten. She mostly worked with the youngest ones, and adored her little students. Being early July, she was on holidays. Her husband Liam played Quidditch for the Chudley Cannons, and was currently away at a training camp.

Ginny continued. “Al was off yesterday because Scorpius had a trade meeting in Egypt. He was supposed to be back early this morning, but there was a problem with his Portkey. Al had to go to work as he had a meeting with the Muggle Prime Minister, so Al asked if Lily could watch all the kids here, until Scorpius got home. Lily stayed the night, she said she felt fine, but as she was getting the boys their breakfast, she felt sick. She ran to the bathroom, but then Annie woke up, so she went to see her. She threw up in there.”

“So it seems Lily has the flu, too. Where is she now?” asked Harry, worriedly.

“I cleaned up the mess while she had a quick shower, and she's laying back down in the guest bedroom, where she slept last night. I changed this little one and brought her out for a bottle. Come on boys, Nana and Grandpa will make you some breakfast, we'll leave Auntie Lil to have a rest,” said Ginny standing.

“Nana, what did you bring me?” asked Bradley. “I been really good,” he said, watching Ginny hand Annie over to Harry. Ginny then picked Bradley up to hug him and took Brian by the hand. They headed for the kitchen.

“How good is real good?” asked Ginny laughing.

“Really, really good,” said Brian earnestly.

Bradley nodded, cuddling his head into Ginny's shoulder.

“Well, really, really good just might mean a really, really good present,” laughed Ginny.
“Grandpa and I only got home last night so we haven't even unpacked yet. Maybe we'll pop over to our house later and see if we can find it.”

“We're really good finders, Nana, 'specially for presents,” said Brian, looking at Bradley, who nodded.

Ginny sat them both in a chair with a special seat for the toddlers, and kissed them both on their heads.

“I'm sure you are, if you're anything like your dad,” she said laughing. “Now, what would you like for breakfast?”

“Cereal, please Nana.”

“Toast, please Nana.”

“Just let me go and check on Grandpa and Annie, and I'll be right back,” said Ginny.

She found Harry in the lounge still, nursing Annie. He was talking and making silly faces at her, and she just watched him, enthralled. She reached out to grab his glasses.

“Hey, are you coming into the kitchen for breakfast? Or I can bring you her bottle if you want to stay here with her?” asked Ginny softly. She loved watching Harry with their grandchildren, he doted on them like crazy.

Harry smiled at Annie. “Who's Grandpa's pretty girl? Does Annie want her bottle now? Give Grandpa a big smile, come on sweetheart,” he encouraged.

Annie broke out into a big smile, showing off her two teeth. Harry yelled out 'Yes!' and it startled her and she started to cry.

“Oops,” said Harry sheepishly.

Annie's cries quickly grew louder, and he handed her over to Ginny. “How about you feed her, and I'll look after the boys?” he suggested.

“Okay. But I think we'll all eat in the kitchen. Come on Grandpa Potter, cereal and toast await you,” said Ginny, jiggling Annie to try and get her to calm down.

“You know, you're pretty hot for a Nana, Gin!” said Harry, caressing her bottom as he followed her.

“Harry, you are not copping a feel as I'm holding our granddaughter, are you?” laughed Ginny.

“Ugh, I did SO not need to hear that!” said Lily, from the hall, looking miserable. She swayed slightly, grasping the wall. Harry rushed to her.

“What are you doing out of bed, Lil? Come on love, back to to bed with you. I'll bring you in some dry toast and a cup of tea soon, all right?” said Ginny.

Lily burst into tears and nodded, letting Harry lead her back into the guest bedroom. “I'm so sorry Dad, I know you and Mum just got back. You probably wanted to have a quiet day back, didn't you? Now I've ruined everything,” she said, crying again.

Harry hugged her. “Come on sweetheart, you can't help being sick. You know you can always count on your mum and me for anything. It's actually kind of nice, you needing us again. Not that I want you to be sick, of course. Now, into bed, your mum will be in soon.”

“I'm glad you're home, Dad. I miss you when you're away,” yawned Lily, snuggling in the bed.

Harry tucked her in, remembering all the times he had done it when she was so much younger. He brushed a kiss over her forehead. “We miss you all too, Lil. Now, just rest and don't worry about a thing.”

He left her dozing and headed back to the kitchen. He found the boys eating their breakfasts and Ginny feeding Annie with a bottle. Ginny looked up as he returned to the kitchen.

“How's Lily?” she asked.

Harry shrugged. “Feeling lousy, if it's the flu. She's dozing at the moment. I'll make her some toast and put the kettle on. You want anything, love?”

Bradley and Brian giggled. “You called Nana 'love'. That's what Daddy calls Mummy too.”

“Well good,” said Harry. “Nana is my love, just like Mummy is Daddy's love.”

“And Uncle Al and Uncle Scor,” said Bradley.

“And Uncle Teddy and Auntie Vic,” said Brian.

“And-”

“Okay, okay. With this family, we could be here all day,” said Harry, laughing.

They boys giggled again. Ginny just shook her head at them, and to Annie she whispered, “Boys!”

Annie smiled behind her bottle, and kept sucking.

Harry made Ginny some toast and a cup of tea, then after taking some to Lily, he made some for himself. By this time the boys were getting a bit anxious, so Ginny let them go and play. Lily had said that James had brought some toys with them, when he had dropped them off.

“Ok Gin, what's the plan,” said Harry, knowing Ginny had a good head for organising things like this.

Ginny nodded. “While the boys are quiet, I'll try and get Annie back down for a sleep. Why don't you floo to the Ministry and leave a message for Al, and see if you can find out when Scorpius should be home. If it's only a hour or two we may as well stay here, but if it's going to be most of the day, maybe we should take the kids to ours and let Lily get some rest in quiet. You could always pop in and see James, let him know what's going on,” said Ginny.

“Sounds good, Gin. I'll just go check on the boys, then I'll go. I'll be as quick as I can, love,” he said, kissing her goodbye.

Annie reached up to touch his cheek. He grabbed her hand and kissed it. She awarded him another smile, which melted Harry's heart. He left the kitchen to go talk to the boys.

Ginny smiled at Annie. “He's a sucker for a little girl. Just keep smiling at him, and he'll give you the moon, if you ask for it.”

Annie smiled at Ginny, as if she understood everything Ginny said. Ginny sighed contentedly, enjoying the feeling of nursing a little one again.

Harry returned within the hour. The boys were still playing with their toys. Ginny came out from Lily's room, looking worried. She sighed in relief when she saw Harry.

“How did you go?” she asked him.

“Well, I left a message with Al's secretary, but he's expected to be away most of the day. James is out on a case with Teddy, so I left a message with Teddy's secretary too. No one in the Department of Magical Cooperation could tell me when Scorpius is due in, as the Portkey issue happened in Egypt. So I left a message for him, as well,” said Harry.

“You're just like an owl, Grandpa, deliverin' messages to everyone,” said Brian.

Harry chuckled, patting his head. “Yes, Brian, you're quite right.”

Ginny smiled, but then looked at Harry. “I'm worried about Lily. She's thrown up again. I think maybe I should take her to St Mungo's, see if Ali could take a look at her. She needs a potion, or something.”

“Our Mummy can fix everybody,” said Brian, proudly.

Brian nodded eagerly. Their mum, Alice Potter, nee Longbottom, was a healer at St Mungo's.

“Can't you just get her an over the counter potion? If it's just the flu, well, that should perk her up a bit,”said Harry.



“Well, I'm not sure it is the flu. It might be something she ate, or something else. I think she should get checked out. She says she feels all right to go, but do you think you can handle the boys? Annie's asleep, so you should be fine with her. I really don't know how long we'll be. If there's a flu epidemic, I imagine there will be a lot of people there, so we might be awhile,” said Ginny, worriedly.

“Ginny, we'll be fine. Honestly, you'd think I never looked after our kids alone before. Annie's asleep, and we'll play some games, do some drawings, make lunch in a while. There's lots we can do together, isn't there boys?” asked Harry.

“Sure Grandpa,” they called out.

Ginny coughed the words “Diagon Alley!” Harry narrowed his eyes at her, then laughed. “That was a one off, that day, and you know it!”

Ginny just smiled and blew her husband a kiss. The twins looked between them, wondering what they were talking about. Their nana and grandpa always did that, talking and laughing; that usually led to kissing and hugging.

“Well, all right then. I'll go help Lily get dressed and we'll go. Promise me you'll be good for Grandpa, boys, and do everything he says. If you can be good, I'll bring my boys back a treat,” said Ginny.

“Yay!” cried Bradley and Brian.

“Yay,” cried Harry.

Ginny, Bradley and Brian looked at him. “What?”

“Nana meant for us, didn't you Nana?” asked Bradley.

“Well, I did, but if Grandpa does a good job looking after you, doesn't he deserve a treat too?” asked Ginny.

“'Spose so,” said Brian.

“Right, I'm going to go see to Lily. Be good, my darlings. Harry, we'll be back as soon as we can, love,” she said kissing him goodbye. She quickly left to go to Lily.

“Ooh Yuk! Why do you gotta kiss Nana all the time for!” cried Bradley, screwing his nose up.

“Feels good,” said Harry cheerfully.

“Bleh!” said the boys together.

“Come on boys, let's go see what your dad packed for you. Maybe you could draw a get well card for Auntie Lil. Or shall we play a game?” Harry asked..

“A game, a game,” they called.

They played a couple of quick games of Exploding Snap, when Ginny and Lily returned to the lounge.

Bradley and Brian rushed to their aunt. “Are you all right, Auntie Lil?” asked Brian.

“You're not going to die, are you?” asked Bradley, worriedly.

“Feel like it,” muttered Lily, softly. Ginny chuckled.

To the boys Lily said, “No, boys, I'll be fine. Be good boys for Grandpa, now.”

“We will, Auntie Lil. Say hi to Mummy. Bye Nana, don't forget our treat,” said Brian.

Ginny and Lily were just leaving to go through the floo. “Don't forget to do the breakfast dishes, Harry,” called Ginny. She flooed away before Harry could respond.

And then the fun really began!


A/N OK I admit it was totally narcissistic of me to give Annie my name, but hey, my story, my character. I DONT get called Annie at all, though. So, I'm finally a Potter and magical! Yay, me! FYI Bradley and Brian are my Son's and Dad's names. They seemed to fit, as Brian was one of Dumbledore's middle names. Keeping it in the family, so to speak!
















Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear