Search:

SIYE Time:1:36 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A New Normal
By CharmHazel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: General, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 129
Summary: Harry has spent much of his life being hunted by Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Now the Dark Lord is dead, it is time for Harry to live the life he has always wanted. It it time for Harry to create for himself a new normal.
Hitcount: Story Total: 70898; Chapter Total: 3885





Author's Notes:
Hello! Ok, so we have now jumped ahead a couple of months, but not to worry, I decided to put in a bit about what happens in the time jump. As I am trying my best to stick to the canon, including all information Jo provided us after the books finished, I have used Harry Potter Wikia to check on some info. Anyway, here is the next chapter, hope you enjoy cos it is a lot more happy!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 9: The Unexpected Birthday

As May turned into June, life at The Burrow slowly began to get back to normal. And as June turned into July, despite the aching gap left in their lives from the loss of Fred, The Burrow began to become alive again.

Arthur and Percy had both returned to work at The Ministry of Magic, helping Kingsley to begin restoring it to what it once was. Arthur had returned to his former job as the Head of the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office, while Percy had been, at his request, shifted over from the Minister’s office to the Department of Magical Transportation.

Bill and Fleur had settled back into Shell Cottage and both had returned to work at Gringotts.

Charlie had decided to return to Romania to continue working with his beloved dragons. However before he left, he had made a promise to return for Ginny’s birthday and if possible, also for Harry’s birthday.

George was still struggling with his grief for the loss of his twin brother. He was taking each day as it came and was slowly coming to terms with his loss, thanks to Harry. They had spent a couple of hours talking about Harry’s own experience of death, his own and the many losses he had suffered over the years.

Ron and Hermione were still bickering constantly, despite having finally admitted their feelings for one another and becoming a couple. At the beginning of June, with help from the Ministry, they had set off for Australia to locate and retrieve Hermione’s parents, while also restoring their memories.

Harry and Ginny had become inseparable, choosing to spend all their free time together. During the day, they would enjoy their time talking, flying, spending time with Teddy and on the odd occasion, going out on actual dates. At night, as they became accustomed to sharing a bed together, they began to slowly explore the physical side of their relationship. While they were taking it further than they had previously, they never went further than the other felt comfortable with, whilst remembering the decision they had made to wait to actually make love. Both made the most of the time they spent together, knowing full well that they would once again be separated for the year, whilst Ginny finished her education.

On the days when they were unable to spend their time together, Ginny would study and review her sixth year books or spend time with either George or her mum, even if it meant having to do chores. Harry, on the other hand, had begun working part time at the ministry in the Auror Department. His time there was split between beginning his Auror training, exercising to get in shape and working with the more senior Aurors to provide his detailed statement on what happened during the war and to give them as much information as he could in relation to the final missing Death Eaters.

The beginning of July saw the return of Ron and Hermione to The Burrow, after they had successfully retrieved her parents from Australia. Hermione had moved back in with her parents, though she still spent much time with Ron and when he was working, she studied with Ginny as to be prepared for her return for her final year at Hogwarts. Ron had begun work at the ministry, barely days after their return, at the encouragement of both Harry and Kingsley.

Most surprisingly, George decided one morning to return to the shop and begin the much needed clean up and restocking so he could reopen in time for the beginning of August. And it was on the same morning, after George, Ron and Harry had all left for work that Ginny cornered her mum in regards to an idea she had.

“Mum?” Ginny called from where she sat at the kitchen table.

“Yes, Ginny dear?” Molly promptly responded, turning from where she was tidying up.

“Can we have a party for Harry’s birthday?” Ginny asked quietly, biting her lip as she did so. “It’s just that his 17th was not as big a celebration as it should have been. He deserves this after everything he has been through.”

“I don’t see why not.”

“Really?” Ginny’s eyes beamed with happiness. “You don’t mind?”

“Of course I don’t mind. Though I think perhaps you should take him out for the day while the rest of us make preparations,” Molly mused.

“Thanks Mum,” Ginny cried as she ran around the table, threw her arms round her mum and hugged her.

“Well if you plan on this being a surprise, then we better start planning while Harry is at work,” Molly suggested as she pulled herself from their embrace.

*

Harry was woken on the morning of July 31st by the light streaming through the window of the room he shared with Ginny. Checking the time on the watch he had received for his 17th from Molly and Arthur, he noticed it was still quite early. He groaned as he turned over in his bed to go back to sleep. Only then did he realise that Ginny was not beside him. However, before he had the chance to contemplate where she was, the bedroom door opened to reveal Ginny carrying a tray. She stopped suddenly just inside the door when she realised he was awake.

“You’re awake!” Ginny said, attempting to keep the disappointment she felt out of her voice. “Now you have ruined my plan to wake you up.”

“Go back out then and I’ll go back to sleep,” Harry jokingly said.

“Don’t you dare,” Ginny warned as she placed the tray down on her chest of drawers. “I’ll just have to adjust my plans instead.”

Ginny walked over to the bed and crawled on top of Harry, straddling him. She leant down and whispered, “Happy Birthday, Harry” against his lips before giving him a passionate morning kiss.

“Wow,” Harry said gasping as they broke apart, “that is definitely the best way to start my birthday!”

Ginny looked up from where she was now curled up beside him, catching her breath.

“Breakfast or present first?” she asked.

“I thought that was my present,” Harry cheekily replied as Ginny proceeded to smack him on the chest.

“Prat!”

“But I’m your prat!”

“It’s a good thing I love you then!”

“And I love you too,” he responded with a gentle, loving kiss. “Ok then, I’ll have my present first.”

Ginny climbed off the bed, straightened her now rumpled clothes and then proceeded to open and search through one of her drawers before pulling out the present she had hid there.

“Happy Birthday again,” Ginny said as she handed him the present. “I hope you like it.”

“I am going to love anything you give me,” Harry said smiling. “I will because it is from you.”

Harry slowly unwrapped the gift as Ginny climbed back into bed next to him and curled up at his side. As the wrapping fell away, Ginny held her breath as Harry inspected the leather bound book that had been revealed. Harry moved his hand across the front of the book, feeling the leather under his skin. He was reminded of a book similar that he had been given by Hagrid when he was 11. Carefully he opened it to find a message on the first page that read,

'Dear Harry,

Happy 18th Birthday!

While you may not be returning to Hogwarts, hopefully this book of photos will remind you of the good times you had there, despite all the bad memories you may have.

I love you.

Ginny'

Harry turned his head to look at Ginny, surprised by the gift she had given him.

“How did you come up with the idea?”

“Well, I remember the album you showed me last year that Hagrid had given you the end of your first year. I know you cherish all the photos of your parents, but I know you didn’t have many of us, your friends and other family,” Ginny answered, her cheeks tinged pink. “So I wrote to Dennis to see if I could get copies of any photos that Colin had taken of you over the years.”

Harry leant down and gently kissed her.

“Thank you,” he whispered before he returned his attention to the book and began to look through the pages of photos.

For next half an hour, as they sat and ate the breakfast Ginny had brought up, they looked through the photos, telling the stories behind them. They were amazed at the many shots Colin had taken, ranging from photos of Harry, Ron and Hermione together, to some amazing shots of him and Ginny playing Quidditch. Harry was most surprised at the fact Colin had managed to capture his and Ginny’s first kiss.

However, it was the final photo that shocked and surprised Harry the most. The picture was of the young couple sitting together under their favourite tree, one they had spent many hours sat under. Photo-Ginny was sat between Photo-Harry’s legs, leant back against his chest, their fingers entwined and arms wrapped around her waist and every so often Photo-Harry would drop a kiss on her head. As Harry looked at the photo, he realised that this was taken the morning they had sat and talked about what had happened over the previous year. As angry as he felt he should be for someone invading their privacy, he wasn’t as there was something about the photo that just felt different.

“You look at peace in that photo,” Ginny said seeing Harry’s confusion. “You no longer have the weight of the world on your shoulders.”

“Who took it?” Harry asked, genuinely intrigued, knowing full well it was not Colin as all the other photos were.

“A photographer from Daily Prophet took it without us realising. Mum spotted him and was really angry. Threatened him, reminded him just who it was who took out Bellatrix Lestrange,” Ginny explained, amusement twinkling in her eyes. “He sent the photo directly to Mum as an apology. She gave it to me. I was planning to frame it for your birthday, but then the idea of the album came to me.”

“I think we should still frame it,” Harry suggested. “I mean it is a good photo and a great reminder that we survived, even if it wasn’t completely unscathed. Plus, it reminds us that we are now free to be together!”

“That is true. We can go and buy a frame while we are out today.”

Harry looked at her suspiciously.

“Out?” He questioned. “What exactly do you have planned for today, besides my surprise party?”

Ginny stared at him, wide-eyed in shock at his knowledge.

“Party? Who said anything about a party?” She said, desperately trying to deny her plans.

Harry looked at her with a raised eyebrow, knowing full well she would not be able to resist the look he was giving her.

Ginny sighed.

“Fine! Ok, I planned a surprise party for you for tonight. I am taking you out for the day. We are going to pick up Teddy and then go for a picnic anywhere of your choosing, while everyone else sets up for tonight.”

“Ok then,” Harry said as he broke out into a smile. “Seeing as you are already dressed, go and pack whatever it is we need, while I grab a shower and get dressed.”

Harry quickly dropped a kiss on Ginny’s forehead before jumping out of bed and heading for the bathroom, leaving a shocked Ginny in bed.

*

Harry was sat with Teddy on his lap at the tables that had been set up in the garden of The Burrow, amazed at what Ginny had done for his birthday. Harry had not been sure what to expect when they arrived back from the day out with Teddy at the beach, he was nervous that she had arranged a huge party with far too many people. Luckily, thanks to Ginny knowing him so well, she had instead arranged a small simple dinner with only those who meant the most to him. Harry looked around the table at all the people who had come and his heart swelled with love for all of them.

Molly had spent the day cooking all of his favourite foods, including Treacle Tart, his favourite dessert. Fleur and Hermione had made his birthday cake, making a simple, yet delicious chocolate cake. Bill, Percy and George had all arrived home early from work to decorate the garden with lanterns, streamers and balloons, while George had also set up fireworks which were to be set off towards the end of the evening. Charlie, however, had not been able to make it and sent an Owl with a note to apologise and a promise to be there for Ginny’s birthday.

Other people who had come included Neville, Luna, Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, Kingsley, Angelina Johnson (who had come along with George), Andromeda and of course, little Teddy, who had already spent most of the day with Harry and Ginny.
What had shocked Harry the most about his party was the huge number of presents he had received and the fact they were not all just from friends and family.

“These are all for me?” Harry had questioned as he had stared, overwhelmed at the number of presents he could see lying on the additional table set up.

“Yes, presents from your friends, family, fans and your many well-wishers,” Arthur had informed him. “Those from your fans and well-wishers have been through the screening process at the Ministry and have all been deemed safe. Whether you choose to keep any of them is up to you. If choose you not to, Kingsley has said we can arrange to have the gifts sent wherever you want.”

In the end, Harry had decided to only open the presents from those he knew. The other presents, he had decided to go through the following day, with the intention of donating what he could to charity, St Mungo’s or Hogwarts.

As for his presents from his friends and family, it seems that Molly had got word out to all of them that he desperately needed many of his clothes and possessions replaced after so many had been lost or damaged. Harry had already begun to start to replace what he needed to, but so far he had only kept to the basics, so he appreciated the new clothes, books and other items he had received. But it was the presents, specifically from the Weasleys, Hermione and Hagrid he appreciated the most.

Ginny’s he had received that morning and as suggested they had brought a frame for the photo of them from that morning in May. It now stood proudly on their dresser in their room.

Hagrid had taken a risk in bringing him a new Owl. Despite missing Hedwig after her untimely death the year before, he knew he needed to replace her sooner rather than later if he wanted to be able to write to Ginny while she was Hogwarts. Hagrid had given him a beautiful brown Barn Owl, who was only a little more than a few months old. Ginny had quickly, despite Ron’s protests to Harry, named the owl, Ignotus, after Harry’s ancestor.

The Weasley brothers, along with Hermione, had pitched in together to buy Harry a new broom, specifically a brand new Firebolt. They had also given him a broom servicing kit and seeker gloves, with a message from Charlie that he wanted to go up against him to find out just who really was the best seeker Gryffindor had ever had. Harry couldn’t but laugh at the challenge.

Molly and Arthur’s gift had managed to shock him and reduce him to tears. For Harry, it was enough to allow him to live, in Ginny’s room no less, at The Burrow. But to present him with a hand to the famous Weasley clock had left him speechless at their acceptance of him as part of the family.

“Th-thank y-you,” Harry stuttered, before heading over to both Molly and Arthur to give them a huge hug as the tears streamed down his face.

“Harry, dear, you have been a part of this family from the moment you first stepped into The Burrow,” Molly had explained. “It is about time you had a hand on the clock and everyone here agrees.”

Harry had looked up to see everyone, a Weasley or not, nodding in agreement. He then proceeded to go round the entire table and to their surprise, hug each and every one of them as a thank you.

Harry was driven from his thoughts from an arm going his shoulders and a kiss being placed on the crown of his head. He looked to the side to see Ginny sitting there.

“Hey beautiful,” he said as he carefully leant over to kiss her.

“Enjoying yourself?” Ginny asked as she scooped Teddy out of Harry’s arms and proceeded to rain kisses all over Teddy’s face, causing him to giggle and change his hair to Weasley red.

“Absolutely,” Harry said laughing at Teddy’s reaction to Ginny. “It was better than anything I could have asked for myself. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome,” Ginny replied, flashing Harry a brilliant smile that made his heart skip a beat. “But your night is not over yet. I still have one more present for you.”

“Oh you do, do you?” Harry asked with an eyebrow raised in suspicion.

Ginny leant over; her lips closed to his ear and whispered just what she had in mind for him. Harry blushed as red as a Weasley went, yet wishing everyone would just go home now.

“Well then, I will be returning the favour on your birthday,” he responded in kind, causing Ginny to blush brilliantly. He leant in and caught her in a searing kiss, which was interrupted barely seconds later, by Teddy who had begun to fuss. Reluctantly, both of them pulled back.

“Best get Teddy back to Andi. Be back in a minute.”

Harry scooped up Teddy and held him close to settle him as he took him over to Andi to be taken home. He quickly said goodbye to the pair before returning to Ginny to settle in and watch the fireworks George had prepared for the night.

“So just how much did you enjoy your birthday?” Ginny asked as she snuggled further into Harry’s embrace as they watched the fireworks George had now set off.

“It was the best birthday I have ever had,” Harry answered before swiftly bringing her lips to his.
Reviews 129
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear