Search:

SIYE Time:11:54 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Living for the Moment
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 44
Summary: AU Set in the early 1900's. To gain allies in the threat of a dark wizard who wants supremacy over the Muggles, England's Minister for Magic has arranged marriages for his six sons.
Hitcount: Story Total: 29461; Chapter Total: 3529







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Sirius had accompanied Harry to discuss the upcoming journey. The first of the cargo was due from Romania in fifteen minutes. Harry and Sirius were enjoying a leisurely pint in a tavern across the road from the Portkey office.

“Come on, Harry, use that Potter charm your father keeps telling me you both have. Personally, I have yet to see it from either of you,” quipped Sirius.

Harry ignored him.

“Just chat to every girl you meet. As long as you meet one witch who gets your wand in a knot, it will be enough to buy you some time with your parents, and get you out of marrying Miss Chang,” suggested Sirius.

“I don't know if I can lie about things like that. Besides, you never know, I just might meet my True Love in the next week, right?” asked Harry, hopefully.

“Sure you might,” agreed Sirius. Harry let out a sigh of relief. “Because beautiful, funny, smart witches are just falling out of trees, waiting to meet you. Hey, is there a ball happening in England? Maybe she'll run away at midnight, and you'll have to search the city carrying her smelly slipper,” teased Sirius.

“Not helping, Sirius,” said Harry, drinking his beer. He checked his watch. “I should go, it's nearly time.”

The men stood up and embraced. “Safe travels, Pup. Be alert. Because-”

“The world needs more lerts,” finished Harry, grimacing. “Let's hope you get some new material before I return, Padfoot.”

“Of course. I'll have your future wife to impress, won't I?” quipped Sirius.

“Goodbye, Sirius,” said Harry, pointedly.

“Remember Harry, live for the moment,” he told his godson.

Sirius cheerfully waved goodbye, walking off humming the Wedding March. Harry chuckled and shook his head as he left the tavern.

He made his way to the Portkey office. “Hello. I'm Harry Potter, waiting on a delivery from Romania.”

The elderly portkey officer barely even looked up. She checked her clipboard, then pointed with her wand. “Potter-over there.”

Harry turned to see an attractive dark-skinned witch looking around with interest. He turned back to the portkey officer.

“Her? She's the cargo?” he asked.

“Yep. Enjoy,” said the portkey officer, barely glancing up from her clipboard.

Harry wandered over to her. He wasn't sure if she spoke English, so he prepared a translation spell, just in case. “Hello, I'm Harry.”

She turned to look at him and smiled. “Hi Harry, I'm Angelina Johnson.”

“You speak English really well,” said Harry.

“My mother is English,” explained Angelina. “I've always wanted to live in England. I hope my future husband wants to return home often.”

“You're getting married! Congratulations,” exclaimed Harry.

Angelina blushed. “Thanks. I can't wait to meet him.”

Harry stared at her. “You've never met him? That's-that's...”

“Crazy, right? I know,” she sighed. “I've always known I'd probably marry someone who was picked out for me by my father. It's just the way it is.” She shrugged.

Harry looked at her. “Really? You don't want to be in love?”

“I hope my husband is a good man, and I'll learn to love him. I hope he's someone I can talk to, and he'll make me laugh.”

“Do you know much about him?” asked Harry, as they made their way to a cafe to await the next arrival.

“He's four years older than me, and he already lives in Romania, training dragons. That sounds interesting, right?”asked Angelina.

Harry nodded.

“He's from a big family, which I really like. I'm an only child, so the fact that he has five brothers and a sister makes me really hopeful.”

“That is a big family,”said Harry, wistfully. He'd often wondered why his parents didn't have any more children. He too would have liked to have brothers or sisters.

“Would you like something to drink or eat? I have a delivery to pick up in,” he consulted his watch again, “half an hour.”

“Sure. Coffee and a sandwich would be great. Hey, wouldn't it be funny if it was another witch like me,” quipped Angelina.

Harry laughed as he went to place her order.

He wasn't laughing half an hour later, as he faced two lovely looking Indian witches. “Hello,” they greeted him in English.

“Hello, I'm Harry. Um, pardon me for asking, but are you here to marry one of the Weasley brothers?”

“Yes,” they said in unison, nodding.

“Oh boy,” sighed Harry. “Come, let's go to the cafe over there. There is someone you should meet.”

“Ooh, is it our husbands-to-be? Are they handsome? Daring and dashing?” they giggled.

“No, it's your future sister-in-law. Angelina, this is-” Harry gestured for them to introduce themselves.

“She is Padma,” said one witch, pointing.

“And she is Parvati,” said the other.

“Hi, I'm Angelina,” said Angelina. “But you can call me Angie.”

“Excuse me, are you Harry?”

Harry and the three young witches turned around to see a witch staring at him. “Yes,” said Harry.

She held out her hand. “Hello, I'm Audrey. I was sitting around the Portkey office in Ireland. I got there way too early, but I hate being late. Anyway, I managed to snag an earlier Portkey, and well, here I am.”

“Let me guess, you're going to meet your husband too,” said Harry.

“Yes. How did you know?” asked Audrey.

Harry gestured to the other witches. “Meet your future sisters-in-law. This is Angelina, Padma and Parvati,” he said, pointing.

“No, she's Padma,” said Parvati.

“And she's Parvati,” said Padma.

“Sorry,” shrugged Harry. “So, shall we go. I have two more deliveries, er, witches to pick up, then we'll head for Scotland. We're expected at Hogwarts for tea in the Great Hall.”

All the witches twittered excitedly, having heard of the grand wizarding school. Audrey had gone to school at Beauxbatons, and the other two had been home schooled.

Harry had to admit he enjoyed the witches company. To his surprise, they seemed happy and excited to meet their future husbands, and none of them thought it strange to have an arranged marriage.

Then he met Hermione Granger.

“I really don't agree with arranged marriages, you know. It's quite old fashioned. Still, my future husband, Percy is well placed at the Ministry of Magic, and I intend to work there with him,” she stated, almost daring anyone to tell her she couldn't, or shouldn't.

“What about children?” asked Angelina, making the twins giggle naughtily.

“Oh, there'll be plenty of time for that. I have so many things I'd like to bring to the Ministry's attention. For instance, did you know how many house elves there are at Hogwarts alone? None of them get paid, or any time off,” said Hermione.

“Have you spoken to the headmaster about it?” asked Harry, thinking about the house elves at his palace. They were all treated well, and found it an honour to serve the Noble House of Potter.

“Oh yes, but Dippet has more important things to worry about at the moment, doesn't he?” asked Hermione, knowingly.

She pulled out a huge book. “This is 'Hogwarts, a History'. They hardly mention house elves at all.”

Audrey smiled sympathetically at Hermione. “My husband and I will be returning to Ireland after the ceremony on Sunday, but please write to me and let me know how you get on. After all, William and I will be hoping to implement the same changes at our Ministry too.”

Hermione smiled at her, and the two continued to chat.

“Wait, you're getting married on Sunday? As in, three days time?” asked Harry, surprised.

“Yes,” they all chorused.

“Good thing too. The Cannons have a week off, so I can fit in a honeymoon before their next match,” said a female voice behind Harry. “Hi, I'm Katie.

“Hi Katie,” they all chorused.

“You follow the Chudley Cannons?” asked Angelina. “I love Quidditch.”

“Me too,” grinned Katie. “I kind of have to follow the Cannons, my father owns the team.”

Angelina and Harry looked impressed. Hermione and Audrey shrugged and continued to converse. Padma and Parvati spoke to each other in undertones.

“My husband-to-be is the Keeper for the team. He's pretty good,” said Katie, sitting next to Angelina.

“You're marrying one of the players, how exciting,” said Angelina.

Katie shrugged. “Well, to tell you the truth, as much as I love Quidditch, I also like to get away from it, know what I mean? It's all Daddy talks about. I'm really hoping Ronald, my husband-to-be isn't like that.”

“I'm sure he's not,” said Angelina. “The Weasleys are a big family, I'm sure they all have a diverse range of interests.”

“I hope so, the last thing I want is to live, eat and breathe Quidditch.”

“I think it's admirable to have a goal, and do anything to strive for it,” said Hermione.

“It's also good to have an interest away from that,” said Audrey, smiling at Katie, who nodded.

Hermione opened her mouth to speak. Harry could sense an argument about to start, so he quickly pulled out the Portkeys and started to hand them out.

“Okay, we'll be arriving on the grounds of Hogwarts. The groundskeeper will meet us and show us around, before we go into the castle for tea in the Great Hall. We'll be spending the night in guest quarters, and we'll meet back in the Great Hall for breakfast. We'll be leaving Hogwarts at ten o'clock, in a Thestral-pulled carriage. It will take us to Devon, to a town named Ottery St Catchpole. There, your future husbands will meet you at their home, known as the Burrow. It is the private home of the Minister for Magic himself, Arthur Weasley,” announced Harry.

“Do you know the Weasleys, Harry?” asked Hermione.

Harry shook his head. “No, although my parents know and speak highly of Arthur. They think he is doing a good job as Minister for Magic, and were deeply saddened by the passing of his wife. They returned to England for her funeral. Sadly, I was away myself at the time, otherwise I would have come too, and possibly met the Weasley brothers.”

“Don't forget the sister. Ginevra,” said Audrey.

Harry thought that was a pretty name. “Ginevra,” he said, liking how it sounded.

“She's the youngest,” said Hermione, nodding.

“Oh,” said Harry, picturing a twelve or thirteen year old girl. “ So, our Portkey, ladies. There we go, all activated. Hold tight, and I'll see you at Hogwarts. In 3, 2, 1...!”

Padma and Parvati shared a Portkey, as did Angelina and Katie, and Hermione and Audrey. Harry watched them all leave before he activated his.

He found it interesting the way they had already formed alliances within the group. Harry liked them all, and had enjoyed the day so far. He looked forward to looking around Hogwarts, as he had been home-schooled by Remus at the palace. He had to admit, he was enjoying being incognito on this journey. The Royal family of Andulasia weren't well known in England, but it was a precaution Harry agreed to take, much to the relief of his mother.

In the back of his mind was the way they had all accepted their duty to marry the Weasley brothers. Was Harry really asking too much, to actually find someone who would love him for himself, not his position? Maybe he should go home and marry Cho Chang, especially if it would please his parents and be of benefit to his country.

Harry decided to enjoy this little bit of freedom, and he looked forward to meeting the Weasley men tomorrow. He wanted to go to his grandparents home town of Godric's Hollow, and pay his respects at their gravesite. Then he would return home, and do his duty.

With that decision made, Harry slept easy.
Reviews 44
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear