Search:

SIYE Time:21:12 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Living for the Moment
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 44
Summary: AU Set in the early 1900's. To gain allies in the threat of a dark wizard who wants supremacy over the Muggles, England's Minister for Magic has arranged marriages for his six sons.
Hitcount: Story Total: 29458; Chapter Total: 3528





Author's Notes:
A small mistake in the previous chapter where i listed Dumbledore as the Headmaster. I have changed it to Dippet, although the HP Lexicon didn't name the Headmaster for the early 1900's.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry greeted the witches in the Great Hall the next morning. They were all excited that today they were to meet their future husbands. Not excited enough to miss breakfast, though. The house elves worked frantically to make sure each guest had a specially prepared breakfast. Harry saw Hermione noticing all this and frowning, jotting things down in a notebook. Harry made sure to thank them for their service, in turning down their beds the night before, to laundering their clothes and for breakfast. The house elves were thrilled to be recognised by the prince of a noble house and bowed in gratitude. Hermione frowned at this, but Harry just shrugged it off as they prepared to leave. The witches were all still unaware of his royal status, and Harry wanted to keep it like that. He was enjoying his anonymity.

The Thestral-pulled carriages pulled up to the front of the castle. Of course, none of the witches could see them. Harry explained when Hermione questioned who was actually driving the carriage. Harry had witnessed his beloved grandfather Charlus dying. He barely had time to grieve, as his father then became King of Andulasia, and Harry had to prepare for his part in the coronation.

Soon they were off. Headmaster Dippet himself came to see them off. The carriages pulled away, with the twins, Angelina and Katie in one carriage, and Harry, Hermione and Audrey in another. Harry was unsure of how long the journey would take to get from Scotland to England this way.

They flew over the village of Ottery St Catchpole and the Thestrals landed on a property on the outskirts of the little town. Harry could feel the strong wards around the property, and sent his Patronus through, telling them of their arrival.

Within moments, the wards fell, and the carriages continued through, until they pulled up outside a quaint homestead. Arthur Weasley and his wife had come from meager backgrounds, despite being pure-blood wizards. They were devoted to their large family, not seeking wealth and position, a fact that had served them well, and rewarded Arthur with the highest position possible in England. Naturally, he hadn't wanted it, sure that there was someone more suitable for the title, but the people had voted him in. He had led his people well in this time of peace, finding solace in his work during the dark days when he lost his beloved wife, Molly.

The witches all looked around with interest. Harry got out, helping Hermione and Audrey out. He then went to the second carriage, helping the Patil twins, Angelina and Katie out.

The door to the Burrow opened, and the Weasley men filed out. Well, four of them, anyway. They all carried bouquets of flowers, picked from their mother's garden, as advised by their sister.

“Welcome lovely ladies, to our humble abode. These flowers pale against your combined beauty,” said Fred, bowing low.

The Patil twins twittered and giggled.

“On behalf of our father, the Minister for Magic, welcome to our home. I am Percy Weasley, and these are my brothers, Frederick, George and Charles,” said Percy.

The ladies all curtseyed, smiling as they were handed the flowers.

“Shouldn't there be two more?” asked Hermione, to her future husband.

Percy nodded. “William and Ronald extend their apologies for their absence and hope to join us shortly.” In truth, Ron was flying at the family Quidditch pitch, and Bill was AWOL.

“Please ladies, join us inside for some refreshments. You must be hungry and thirsty from your travels,” said George, offering his arm to one of the twins, Harry thought it was Parvati.

The group went inside, to find a buffet of food and drink set up for them. The house was cosy and comfortable, but nothing grand or fancy, not what one would expect from the Minister for Magic.

While Harry watched, the witches and the Weasley men socialised together. Finding himself feeling like a third wheel, Harry decided to take a stroll around the local village. He confided in Charles, who was the eldest brother there. Charlie nodded distractedly, caught up talking to Angelina, his intended.

Harry walked outside to where Charlie had indicated the wards began for Apparition. As he was about to leave, he happened to look up. Silhouetted in an upper window was the slender figure of a woman getting dressed. Her arms were stretched up as she pulled a garment over her head, then shimmied it down. Harry watched mesmerised as she pulled out long hair that had been tucked into the garment. He wondered what colour it was. Then he shook his head, trying to forget what he saw. He had no right to be watching like a voyeur. Still, the figure stayed in his mind as he wandered around the pretty town of Ottery St Catchpole.

Meanwhile, back at the Burrow, the introductions were going well. Percy, Hermione and Audrey spoke of goings on at the Ministry, both here and in Ireland. Fred and George were entertaining the Patil twins, who giggled constantly, nibbling on their food. Charlie and Angelina were talking about life in Romania. All seemed well, except for poor Katie.

“What did you say William was doing that he couldn't be here to meet us?” asked Audrey, of her intended husband.

“Er, he works for Gringott's, the wizarding bank. They have some delegates over from France, and I understand he was doing something for them,” bluffed Percy. Privately he was quite mad at Bill.

“This doesn't bode well for our marriage. I find tardiness quite rude,” sniffed Audrey.

“Oh, I completely agree,” said Percy, nodding at her.

“Still, he must do what his employer asks. He has a responsibility to him, doesn't he?” asked Hermione, practically. Audrey shrugged.

“Ladies, would you like to accompany us to Diagon Alley to see our shop?” offered Fred to the Patil twins. They giggled and nodded. George beamed and they all went to stand up to floo.

“May I come too?” asked Katie. “My future husband is not in a hurry to meet me either, so I may as well do something, rather than sit around waiting.”

“Of course, our humble shop awaits you, milady,” bowed George. Katie smiled her first real smile since their arrival.

“Oh, I'd like to come too,” cried Angelina, linking arms with Katie. “Do you mind?” she asked Charlie.

He bowed to her. “No, of course not. I should stay close to home, being the eldest and all. I know you will be in good hands with my brothers.”

“Let's go, ladies. You're in for a treat,” said Fred, rubbing his hands together.

The house was much quieter with them all gone. Audrey sniffed again, not pleased with the absence of William. Percy was trying to distract her, and they soon fell into a discussion on local politics.

“I think I'll go for a wander outside,” said Hermione to Charlie, who nodded.

She ventured down a path, past the chicken coop, not seeing some gnomes sneaking amongst the many colourful flowers. She also saw an impressive vegetable patch, and almost jumped when an ugly gnome ran across her path and poked its tongue out at her. She hurried away, following a path past a creek and finally coming to a clearing.

“Oh!” She stopped, looking around at what she assumed was a Quidditch pitch. But that wasn't what had caught her attention. A man was there, flying around. Hermione watched him, he was so at ease in the air, unlike herself. As she watched, he seemingly floated to the ground, wiping the sweat on his shirt as he climbed off his broom. Then, to Hermione's (delight) shock, he took off his shirt, mopping his sweaty brow.

Hermione's gaze travelled over his naked torso. He was quite muscly and his abdomen was taut. Hermione gasped and shot her gaze up, blushing as she realised she was blatantly staring. She felt a bolt of lust run through her, something she had only ever read about in one of her books.

Ron's head whipped up as he heard a gasp. He picked up his wand, pointing it. “Who's there? Show yourself!”

Hermione came out of the shadows bravely, her chin up. “Hello. There's no need to point your wand at me, I mean no harm. I wandered too far from the house.”

Ron lowered his wand quickly. “My apologies, mi'lady. Unfortunately, my father has his enemies, as well as supporters, so we must be on guard at all times.” He noted her beautiful brown hair and brown eyes and lowered his wand.

“Apology accepted,” said Hermione, graciously. “You fly very well.”

Ron brightened. “Oh, are you one of the witches who are here to marry us?”

Hermione flushed and looked away. Ron blushed at his crassness. “Please forgive my brashness. I am Ron, er Ronald. Are you Kathryn?” he asked hopefully.

Hermione looked back at him. “Could you-would you please put your shirt back on? It's quite distracting. No, I'm not Katie, er Kathryn. I'm Hermione, Hermione Granger,” she said proudly.

“Her-my-o-knee,” said Ron slowly, enunciating every syllable. “That's a pretty name. For a pretty lady.” He smiled at her, making her knees go weak.

'Oh my,' thought Hermione, her heart beating fast. “Your shirt,” she said pointedly.

“Oh yes. Sorry,” said Ron, putting his shirt back on. He picked up his broom, and walked towards her. “Shall we?” He gestured to the house.

“What? Oh, yes,” agreed Hermione, suddenly smelling freshly mown grass.

Ron held out his arm, and she linked her arm through his. They talked easily all the way back to the house.

Two hours later, the rest of the group had arrived back. Fred and George had taken them to their joke shop, Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. The Patil twins had quickly grown bored, and asked Charles to escort them to the local grocers, so they could buy some ingredients to cook a traditional Indian meal for them all that night.

Katie and Angelina loved the store, and delighted in going through all their products. George and Fred explained how they came up with each item and how they had developed it. The two witches thought they were very clever. The time passed pleasantly.

By the time Harry returned from his outing in the village, he was hungry and the aromas coming out of the kitchen were wetting his appetite. The witches were all assisting the Patil twins now, as they set up the dining table and brought cutlery and drinks to the table.

Harry frowned, sensing something wasn't right. Angelina and Katie were conversing non-stop with George and Fred. Charlie was hovering around the kitchen, hoping to snatch a quick taste of whatever was being cooked in the kitchen. Hermione and Ron were chatting, as was Percy and Audrey. It was the flush on Hermione's face that made Harry aware of what was going on. None of the intended pairings were talking. And Bill had still not shown up.

The floo flared, and out stepped Arthur Weasley. He held out his arms in greetings, going to each witch to welcome her personally. He frowned, remembering the pairings he had come up with. His eyes met Harry's, who nodded in greeting.

“Dinner is served,” announced Padma, 'or was it Parvati?', wondered Harry. He took a big mouthful of the aromatic dish, then gasped and reached for the water glass to drink away the burn. He saw Ron do the same.

“Bloody hell, what was that?” asked Ron. A hush fell over the table.

“Ronald, really,” scolded Hermione. The Patil twins sobbed and ran into the kitchen. Charlie shot Ron a dirty look before going into the kitchen himself.

“Uh, I'm sorry, it's just not what I'm used to,” shrugged Ron. “I like good old fashioned home cooked meals.”

“I hope you don't intend for me to cook every day for you,” snapped Katie.

“Just try a little bit at a time,” suggested Hermione. “It's really tasty, especially if you mix it with that dressing. Go on, try it.”

Ron stared into her deep brown eyes as she stared hopefully back at him. He couldn't deny her anything. Still staring at her, he took a small amount on his fork, dipped it in the dressing and warily ate it. It went down easier, to his surprise.

“Hey, that's pretty good. I guess I should go and apologise to them,”he said, getting up. Hermione nodded and smiled proudly at him. Aware of other's glances she flushed and kept her concentration on her plate.

Arthur stared in confusion between Ron, Hermione and Katie, who was still glaring at Ron.

“Hey Dad, where's Gin tonight?” asked George.

“Staying with Aunt Muriel,” said Arthur, still trying to work out what was going on.

“Oh boy, bet she'll love that,” muttered George to Fred.

“Hey Fred, like my flower?” asked Angelina.

“Very pretty,” said Fred.

“Smell it,” encouraged Angelina.

Fred leaned closer to smell the flower pinned to Angelina's blouse. He got a face full of water for his troubles. For a moment he was stunned, then burst out laughing. “That's brilliant!”

Angelina shrugged modestly. “It's a Muggle prank, but I thought you and George would like it.”

Ron returned red-faced, followed by the Patil twins and Charlie. “Where's William?” asked Arthur, looking around.

“That's what I would like to know,” said Audrey, crossing her arms.

“I've sent out owls to him, Father, but he hasn't responded,” said Percy.

“Maybe he's been hurt?” suggested Hermione. “Have you checked St Mungo's?” she asked Percy.

“No, I haven't,” admitted Percy.

“Percy has been most attentive to me, I don't find you at fault for William's absence,” said Audrey, placing her arm on Percy's.

Percy glanced down at it, and so did Audrey. She snatched it away, blushing. “Oh, I'm so sorry.”

“It's fine,” said Percy, his face flushed. “Really.”

Their gazes lingered on each other too long. They knew it, and quickly looked away. Luckily no-one noticed, except Harry and Arthur.

“Let's all retire to the loungeroom,” suggested Arthur. “Harry, a word?”

Harry nodded, and he and Harry walked outside to Arthur's shed. “What is going on in there?” he asked rhetorically.

Harry chose to respond. “Well sir, I haven't been here all afternoon, but I think I have worked out your error. You have the correct witches and wizards, but I don't think your pairings are working out.”

“Thank Merlin I only have the one daughter,” sighed Arthur. “Now, have you been enjoying your freedom, Prince Harry?”

“You've been in touch with my parents?” asked Harry, not surprised.

Arthur chuckled and nodded. “Yes, they responded positively to my query for an escort, and included your own wedding news. Congratulations, Prince Harry.”

“Thanks,” said Harry, glumly. Perking up he said, “I enjoyed visiting your local village. It's quite picturesque. A witch I met there told me my future. She too wished me well for my upcoming nuptials, although she told me there would be a lot of red headed people in my future life with my bride. I think she has me confused with your family. Still, with a name like Luna, what can you expect?” He chuckled.

Arthur looked surprised. “Luna is a friend of my daughter's, and has an excellent reputation as a Seer. You would be wise to listen to her, my friend.”

Harry stopped chuckling. “Well, she did mention she saw the Thestrals flying over yesterday.”

Arthur nodded sadly. “She saw her mother die. She retreated into her mind for a time, saddened with grief. When she came back to us, she told us she Saw things. She talks of Wrackspurts and Nargles and Crumple-Horned Snorkaks.”

Harry laughed. “There's no such things, Minister. No, I fear your Luna is wrong this time. Once I leave after the weddings tomorrow, I doubt I will be back in England any time soon. Apart from my mother's long tresses, I know no other red-heads. So you see, she is wrong,” said Harry.

“And so, it appears, am I. What am I to do about the weddings? I had always hoped my children marry for love, but as time goes by, political alliances may prove important. You've heard of this dark wizard? I can't send a witch home, saying my son has chosen another. Thanks, but no thanks,” said Arthur, shaking his head. “I will not insult my comrades in that way. Oh, I wish their mother was here. My Molly, God rest her soul, would know what to do. With this situation, and with our stubborn daughter.” Arthur sighed.

“Minister, I implore you to talk to your sons, see what they have to say. I know the importance of a political union, but isn't it important to at least like the other person's company. Charles has spent hardly any time with Angelina, nor Ronald with Katie. What looks good on paper doesn't necessarily transfer to matters of the heart,” said Harry.

Arthur nodded. “Yes, yes, good advice, Prince Harry. Thank you. Will you be leaving us soon?”

“Please, just Harry while I am in England. I have no wish to have my title be known. Yes, I am to stay at the Leaky Cauldron tonight, and shall return in the afternoon for the festivities,” said Harry.

“The Leaky Cauldron? Surely a Prince would want better than that,” said Arthur, aghast.

“I am just a humble escort,” winked Harry. “My sleeping arrangements for tonight will be fine. I bid you goodnight, Minister, and good luck.”

“ I fear I shall need it,” sighed Arthur, as they parted ways.

Arthur headed to the house, stopped by an owl. Harry headed to the Apparition spot, his instincts kicking in when he saw a shadow move in the garden. Not wanting to disturb Arthur, he got out his wand and followed the shadow.

Arthur went inside, opening the parchment. He saw Fred, George, Katie and Angelina playing a game of cards. Hermione and Ron were playing chess. Audrey and Katie were helping the twins clean the kitchen. Percy and Charlie were talking to each other.

Arthur approached them, paling as he read the letter. Percy hadn't noticed his father's reaction.

“Father, what shall we do about Bill? We need to find him,” asked Percy worriedly.

“He's been gone a long time,” admitted Charlie.

“I know where he is,” said Arthur, re-reading the letter. He raised his head to look at two of his sons.

“Where?” asked Percy.

“He's eloped. He's left for Paris,” said a shocked Arthur.

Charlie and Percy looked at each other, both in shock too.

Meanwhile, Harry was creeping along the garden, his wand outstretched. He couldn't believe he had lost the person he'd been following. He'd always done well in his training in stealth and tracking.

He stilled, having heard the rustle of a tree. He realised he was close to the boundary of the Burrow, and only minutes from the local village.

'Bollocks,” he heard someone say, then something hit him in the back of the head. He spun around, rubbing his head.

“Stupid shoes,” he heard the voice say, and he got pelted again. He ducked behind a tree, his wand out.

He heard a soft thud as someone jumped out of the tree. They bent over, seemingly fiddling with the ground. “Much better,” the person sighed.

The person, wearing a hooded cloak, walked past him, in neither hurry nor care. A slender hand pulled out a wand, preparing to lower the wards.

Harry wondered if it was a plot to kill the Minister. Somehow this unknown person had hidden in the garden, waiting for the dark of night to lower the wards to let his accomplices in. He wondered how he had known the correct wand placement to lower the wards. Had he been watching a long time? Hiding out for days?

As the person made the first wand movement, Harry came up behind him, reaching around to pull him against his body.

“I don't think so,” he said softly, using his hands to search for other weapons. He ran his hands over the dark robes they wore.

The person in the robe gasped as his hands ran over two objects that Harry knew weren't weapons. Merlin, it was a woman, a witch.

Harry barely had time to register that fact when the witch stamped on his feet, spun around, punched him in the stomach and jammed her wand in his face. Harry registered angry brown eyes, full of fire.

“Nobody gropes me and gets away with it,” she growled, casting a Bat Bogey hex on him.

As Harry tried to brush off the 'bats' attacking his face, he noted that in their scuffle, the hood of her robe had come off, exposing her long red hair, held back in a tie. “Wait,” he called.

She spared him no further looks, as she turned and opened the wards, slipping through. By the time Harry had stopped the 'bats', she was nowhere in sight.


















Reviews 44
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear