Search:

SIYE Time:11:35 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Living for the Moment
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 44
Summary: AU Set in the early 1900's. To gain allies in the threat of a dark wizard who wants supremacy over the Muggles, England's Minister for Magic has arranged marriages for his six sons.
Hitcount: Story Total: 29375; Chapter Total: 3408







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny looked around nervously, making sure the hood on her robes was covering her, as Harry spoke with Tom, the new owner of the Leaky Cauldron. He signed the ledger and the two men shook hands. Harry turned and indicated the way to Ginny, and she followed him upstairs.

He used his wand to unlock the door. “Alohamora.” He held it open for Ginny and then he hurried in, locking it behind him.

“I've ordered a light meal to be sent up soon. Just soup and sandwiches, hope that's okay?” he asked.

Ginny nodded, peering out the window.

“So, are you going to tell me why you were running away?” asked Harry, taking off his jacket.

Ginny shrugged.

“That witch in the village, she called you Lady Ginny. Are you? A Lady, I mean?” he asked.

Ginny chuckled. “No, despite my mother and Great Aunt Muriel's best intentions, I am not a lady. Since my father became the Minister for Magic, the people in the village call me that. I've asked them not to, but, well, I guess it's a sign of respect for my father. So no, Harry. I'm just Ginny,” she said.

“You fight well,” said Harry.

Ginny looked at him, amused. “For a girl, you mean?” Harry quickly shook his head. “I have six brothers. Six over-protective but wonderful brothers.”

Harry chuckled. “Enough said. So Ginny, what do you do? Why weren't you at the house to meet your future sisters-in-law?”

Ginny perked up. “Are they nice, the witches? Did my brothers behave themselves?” she asked.

Harry smiled. “They are all very nice witches, and four of your brothers have been most attentive. I suppose I should say five, Ronald finally turned up.”

“Who was missing?” asked Ginny.

“William,” said Harry. “He's the eldest, isn't he. A curse breaker?”

Ginny nodded. “Yes. So he wasn't there at all? I wonder...no, he wouldn't,” she said to herself.

“Wouldn't what?” asked Harry.

“He's been telling me about a witch he met a couple of weeks ago. He was quite smitten with her. She's from France, and his transfer for work would have him working there. He was hoping to meet up with her there, get to know her better. That is, until my father broke the news about the upcoming nuptials. Bill was devastated. I -I wonder if they may have eloped,” she said.

“Really? You think he'd do that?” asked Harry.

“It's what I would have done,” said Ginny, sinking onto the side of the bed.

The food Harry had ordered magically appeared in their room. Harry drank his soup gratefully while Ginny nibbled on a sandwich.

“Your friend Luna-” said Harry, unsure how to ask what he wanted.

“Yes?” asked Ginny.

“Is she always so...unique?” asked Harry.

Ginny laughed, a lovely sound that filled Harry's heart. “That's a great word for Luna. Yes, that's our Luna. Those dark wizards really didn't know what to make of her, did they?”

“I met her earlier that day. I went to the village to look around. She said she could See my future, and proceeded to do so. I thought she was a charleton, but she asked for no payment,” said Harry.

“You should listen to Luna. I have never known her to be wrong about what she Sees,” warned Ginny. “I hope there was something nice in your future. I fear dark times are ahead, like Armand said.”

Harry nodded. “Will you be at your brothers' weddings tomorrow?” He hoped he could dance with her, maybe even sit with her.

Ginny shook her head. “I don't think so. I need to decide where I am going. I may be far from England by this time tomorrow night.”

“Where are you going?” asked Harry.

“Somewhere. Anywhere. I don't care. There is a big world out there. I want to meet new people, learn from them, teach them,” she said passionately.

“Why do you need to run away to do that?” asked Harry, puzzled.

Ginny smiled sadly. “Because after my brothers are wed, and leave our home, I shall be next. My father has arranged a marriage for me. I know I should remain and do my duty, but I-I cannot. Not now. I fear my future husband will never let me see my family again.”

“Who is he?” asked Harry.

Ginny waved her hand. “Oh, I don't want to talk about him anymore. He is a prince of a country far away. No, I want to talk about you.”

Harry's heart pounded. Could she be referring to him as her intended husband. His mother and father were pranksters. Could they have teasing him about Cho Chang? What if Ginny was his intended bride? That would be...interesting.

“Uh, there's not much to tell about me. Only child. I too, live far away, although my maternal grandparents have always lived in England. My parents met at Hogwarts, fell in love and married. My mother followed my father to his homeland. I must admit, I do feel quite at home in England.”

“How long are you here for?” asked Ginny, getting comfortable on the big double bed. She had so far failed to notice it was the only bed in the room.

“I was given five days. Tomorrow will be day three. There are many sights I'd like to see before I leave. I enjoyed my brief visit to Hogwarts. Tomorrow I'd like to visit my grandparent's graves. They lived with my mother in a little town called Godric's Hollow. Do you know it?” he asked her.

“Oh yes. It has quite a large wizarding community. I've never been there, but I have heard it's quite nice. I could-would you like me to take you?” she asked him.

“Would you? Thank you, that would be most kind,” said Harry.

Ginny yawned. “It has been quite a day. I was sent to my Great Aunt Muriels, and she is quite tiring to be around. All day I've heard about the expectations on me as the only daughter. I must say, the more she rattled on, the more I felt trapped, and the need to flee increased. I love her, but she can be a bit hard to take at times.”

“Ah Ginny, I don't know if you've noticed, but there is only one bed,” said Harry.

“Oh,” said Ginny, looking around. “Oh, yes. Well, I suppose we can transfigure this bed into two singles, can't we?”

Harry shrugged. Ginny continued. “Or we could just share. I mean,” she said hurriedly, blushing. “I could sleep under the covers, and you could sleep on top, and we'd keep all our clothes on.”

“You don't look like you have any clothes to change into anyway,” said Harry. She was only travelling with a small beaded bag.

Ginny shrugged. “Undetectable Expansion charm. You'd be surprised at what I've got in here. So, I'm just going to use the bathroom, then go to the sleep.”

“Sounds fine,” said Harry. While she was gone, he cast a Disillusion charm on the door. He knew how important a witches reputation was, and he didn't want Ginny to suffer from rumour or innuendo.

Ginny came out and he went in. By the time he returned, she was in bed, the covers up to her neck. He lay on his back near the edge, not wanting to touch her, but aching to do so. She was the most intriguing witch he'd ever met.

“Harry,” she said softly.

“Yeah?” he asked, softly in return.

“I'm glad you were there to help out tonight. You were brilliant too,” she said, turning her head to look at him and smile.

He looked at her and smiled too. Their eyes met, and each felt the surge of attraction in the room. Ginny licked her lips nervously. Harry's eyes followed her tongue, and he swallowed.

“Tell me about your family, your homeland,” she said, fighting down the attraction she felt for him.

Harry longed to to tell her about his parents. How James had been sent to Hogwarts for his final year, to experience a 'normal' year before assuming his royal duties. How he'd fallen for Lily Evans almost immediately, and by the end of the year he'd proposed. How Lily had returned with him to Andulasia as his fiancee, and they'd been married six months later. Lily had been tutored in her royal duties by James' mother, while James was being prepared to take over as King by his father. Two years after their marriage, James and Lily became King and Queen. Harry had been born the following year.

He described his homeland without mentioning the name. Andulasia was a small seaside country. The weather was lovely most of the year. It had rocky steep terrain on one side, yet a gentler terrain as it got closer to the sea. The Palace and the city centre were closer to the sea than the mountains, ready to welcome sailors with goods to trade, and visitors alike to their home. Mostly consisting of Magical people, a few Muggles lived amongst them, having fallen in love with the country and wishing to remain. Ginny listened with a smile on her face as Harry spoke fondly of a thousand sunsets and colours of blue, red and gold streaking the sky. He spoke so poetically it made Ginny long to see it for herself.

Harry finally stopped talking and looked over at Ginny. She was asleep, a small smile on her face. In sleep she was at ease, so cute with her hand tucked under her chin. He tried to count all the freckles on her face, but he soon fell asleep too.

They woke in each others arms. Harry had never slept so comfortably. He watched as Ginny woke up, smiling sleepily at him. “Morning,” she said, her voice husky. She moved away, and Harry immediately felt berefit.

“Want to go and get breakfast?” asked Harry.

Ginny's stomach growled, and she giggled. “I think that answers your question. I'll just use the bathroom and get changed.” She got out of bed, grabbed her bag and went in and shut the door.

Harry realised he'd left his trunk at the Burrow. He performed a Cleansing charm on himself, standing up when Ginny emerged from the bathroom.

“Shall we just eat downstairs?” asked Ginny. Harry nodded, and they left the room. They had a quick breakfast, uncomfortably aware of Tom's gaze on them. When Ginny suggested they visit Godric's Hollow first, Harry quickly agreed.

Ginny side-Apparated them to Godric's Hollow. They enjoyed an enjoyable walk around the little town. They went to the graveyard, easily finding the gravesite marked 'Evans'. Ginny gave Harry some privacy as he knelt in front of the grave sites for Lily's parents and her elder sister Petunia. He conjured a wreath, placing it there. When he stood and stepped back, Ginny was there. She threaded her arm through his, resting her head on his shoulder. He found it comforting.

“Your aunt was only twelve when she died. So young, so sad. Were she and your Mum close?” asked Ginny gently, not sure if Harry wanted to talk about it with her.

“Yes they were. My aunt was practically a Squib, and was terribly upset at the thought of my Mum leaving her to go to Hogwarts. She took my Mum's wand and tried to show she could do magic. I don't really know how or what happened, but somehow the wand backfired and she was killed. My mother was devastated, and my grandparents never really got over it either,” said Harry sadly.

“Those flowers are amazing,” said Ginny, referring to a huge floral bouquet sitting on Petunia's grave. She leaned over to read the card and gasped. “Oh my stars, they're from the King and Queen of Andulasia.”

“Are they?” asked Harry weakly. He suspected his cover was about to be blown.

“I don't know too much about them, do you?” she asked him.

“They're good people, and a popular King and Queen,” he replied truthfully.

Ginny nodded. “Apart from what you told me last night, I've heard Andulasia is a beautiful country, and quite prosperous and peaceful. Most of that is due to the King and Queen. I understand the Queen is very involved in the running of the country, and enjoys the complete confidence of the King. I would only hope to have the same sort of life with my future husband, but I fear it would not be so.”

“Have you met your future husband yet?” asked Harry.

“We've exchanged a couple of letters. He writes well. I've just heard conflicting things about him that worry me. It's another reason I want to get away,” said Ginny.

“If you ever need a place to stay, a sanctuary, just send me an owl. You'll always be welcome at my home,” said Harry, his heart sinking at the realisation that he was not her intended husband.

“Thank you Harry,” said Ginny sincerely. She looked out over the small town. “You can feel the old magic in the air, can't you? It would be a nice town to grow up in, don't you think?”

Harry nodded in agreement to both her questions. With a last glance at his grandparent's and aunt's final resting place, he followed Ginny out of the graveyard and they walked up the street. They decided to have lunch in a quaint little tavern in the town.

They talked about everything and anything. Ginny spoke lovingly of her family, who's closeness had only increased with the loss of their mother. Harry told of his closeness to his godfather, and explained the relationship of his father with his three closest friends, who call themselves The Marauders.

It was so easy and natural to talk together, to share their experiences. Neither of them really wanted to leave, but after an extended lunch, it was time to go. Ginny suggested she show him Diagon Alley, England's main shopping district. Then she would need to decide if she was going to return to the Burrow for her brother's weddings.

They Apparated close to the Leaky Cauldron, and greeted Tom before they tapped the wall to get through to the Alley. Once through, Harry looked around in amazement. Witches and wizards of all ages were shopping, and Harry smiled to see wizarding families together.

They just started walking towards Ginny's brothers shop when a female voice behind them made Ginny stop.

“Ginny? Is that you?”

Ginny turned and smiled. “Oh, hello Lavender, how are you?”

“Oh, I'm fine, and you?” Lavender asked this to Ginny but her attention was on Harry. He shifted uncomfortably, feeling like a slab of meat at this predatorial look over.

“How's Ron?” she asked Ginny, not waiting for her response to her earlier question.

“He's really busy,” said Ginny, shooting Harry a grin. Harry quirked his eyebrows at her. Sure, getting married could be considered busy.

“Will you tell him to call me when the Quidditch season is done?” asked Lavender.

“Um, Lavender...we really need to go. My father is hosting a big party today, and I should be there to help him. If I see Ron I'll definitely tell him what you said,” said Ginny.

“A party? Oh, is that why the Prince of Albania is there? Diagion Alley has been buzzing with the news all morning. He's supposed to be really dreamy. That blonde hair and those piercing blue eyes, ooh,” said Luna, shivering. She glanced over at Harry's dark hair and glasses, then dismissed him.

“The Prince is here?” asked Ginny faintly. Harry looked at her in concern.

“Yes. Something big must be happening, are you sure you don't know what's going on?” asked Lavender, suspiciously.

“Sorry Lavender, we have to go. Nice to see you again,” said Ginny, grabbing Harry's arm and pulling him away.

“Who was that?” asked Harry. He'd met witches like her before. It was all about the looks and the status. Harry tried to keep well away from witches like that.

“Lavender Brown. Fellow Gryffindor, she was a year ahead of me. She's had quite the crush on Ron for a while now. Should I have told her Ron was getting married today?” she asked him.

Harry ignored her question. “Why did you get so spooked when she mentioned the Prince of Albania?”

Ginny hurried towards the Leaky Cauldron. Harry ran after her, grabbing her arm. He spun her around. “What's going on?”

“I need to go. I-I think I need to return to the Burrow,” she said faintly.

“So you're going to the wedding? I thought you were keen to get away,” said Harry.

“You heard what Lavender said, the Prince of Albania is there. I must go, I must speak with him,” she said desperately.

“What? Why?” asked Harry.

“Because he's the man my father intends for me to marry. He's my future husband. Prince Draco, of Albania.”











Reviews 44
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear