Search:

SIYE Time:19:14 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Retelling
By HG Forever9696

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Mild Sexual Situations, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 21
Summary: We all have read about the universe in which Harry befriends Ron and Hermione. But today we explore a universe a little bit different. In which a raven haired boy, deeply neglected meets a red haired girl, scorned by her own mother and a blonde, the freak of the society. Three kindred souls bond and set in motion something never seen before. Something that is only found in legends.
Hitcount: Story Total: 16124; Chapter Total: 2828





Author's Notes:
Here I return, with the second chapter. Umm, what do I say to waste time of people? Ugh Let's just forget it. Enjoy! If you feel amazed at lack of errors in story, then know this it is all thanks to my amazing (is there a word better than that?) Beta reader Burning Bunny Books. Really I should ask her to change her name. It's too long. And if you find any mistakes, then it's the fault of yours truly!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 02:

Two weeks had passed since that fateful night when Harry decided to trust the seemingly unbelievable letter and sent an owl to Hogwarts. After that, they had yet to get in touch with him.

As for the Dursleys, they hadn’t known any better. Still believing that he hadn’t received any letter, his Aunt Petunia had happily dyed some of Dudley’s old clothes grey, the uniform colour for Stone Wall High, the school that the Dursleys decided he would be going to this September. Little did they know, he would be attending Hogwarts next September. If it was real that is. There still was some doubt in his mind about the authenticity of the letter.

As Harry absentmindedly mopped the floor, he thought about how he would be getting the school supplies. He had no money. And the Dursleys sure wouldn’t be giving him any. He had no way of buying the uniform or the books that were mentioned in the letter. There could be scholarships offered at Hogwarts but he didn’t know. There was also the matter of the location of Hogwarts which he didn’t know. If he didn’t know where the school was, how was he supposed to get there?

Just then a loud knock, threatening to blow the door off his hinges, reverberated throughout the room.

“Those bloody salesmen,” Vernon could be heard muttering about the salesmen all the way through the living room, “Boy! Get the door.”

Not feeling like he wanted to have his uncle breathing down his neck over something as insignificant as a door knock, Harry made his way towards the door.

The scene that greeted Harry as he opened the door was quite the most astonishing one of his admittedly short life. It was a giant man, his girth completely filling the doorway through which even his uncle could pass easily. His height was more than the doorway. His face was completely covered with a bushy black beard through which his beetle black eyes were shining brightly.

“Hello, you must be young Harry,” the voice of the big man boomed throughout the house.

Harry was too shocked to process the information that this giant man knew who he was. He stood there, his mouth open, yet no words coming out.

Hearing the loud voice, Vernon came to the door to see what was going on. As soon as his eyes landed on the giant man towering over the doorway, his face went pale, his eyes bulging out of its sockets.
The giant man turned towards Vernon, his mouth opened as if to say something. But, before anything could come out, Vernon had slammed the door shut in his face. Turning towards Harry, he grabbed him from his hair, yanking him to the living room.

“Listen to me you little freak,” Vernon’s voice was nothing but a chilling whisper as he stood inches away from Harry, his face purple, contorted in anger and fear, filling Harry’s vision. “If I found you associating yourself with the likes of him…”

He never got to finish his sentence, as at that precise moment, a resounding crack was heard, and the giant man walked into the house, holding the cracked door like pieces of a broken china plate.

“Err, sorry about that,” the giant man said sheepishly, then his eyes took in the scene in front of him.

“DURSLEY,” Harry winced at the loudness of the voice, “Just what do you think you are doing?”

Vernon who was already deathly pale after seeing the giant walking in, holding the pieces of the door so nonchalantly, went even paler. He gave a loud squeak and started walking backwards, stumbling on the sofa, he fell on his back.

“D-d-don’t come near me you freak,” in all his life, Harry had never seen his uncle so afraid. The urge to snicker was getting uncontrollable.

“Vernon, what’s the problem?” It was his aunt, Petunia, who had just entered the living room, curious about the strange noises coming from there.

As her eyes took in the strange scene in the living room, she gave a loud shriek and fainted.
The giant man was looking around the room confusedly. On one hand, there was the man who was whimpering uncontrollably as he backed against the wall. On the other, there was the woman who fainted as soon as she saw him.

“Knew the Dursleys were bad people,” the giant man was mumbling to himself as he took stock of the situation.

“Um, I am sorry but who are you?” finally Harry couldn’t hold it in anymore. After seeing the reaction of his uncle, he was bursting with curiosity.

“How rude of me,” the giant exclaimed, “My name’s Hagrid. I am the Keeper of Keys at Hogwarts castle.”

The name Hogwarts caused a euphoric sensation to run through him, “Why are you here?”

“I am here to take you to buy your school supplies Harry,” the giant named Hagrid answered, “We should get going. It’s getting late.”

“Now listen here.” It looked like Vernon had finally gathered his wits. Just barely. “He won’t be doing any of this Hogwash business. He would be going to Stone Wall High like a perfectly normal kid.”

“Nonsense,” Hagrid waved his hand, accidentally dropping the door pieces on the floor, making Vernon jump like a cat, “Harry here has been registered at Hogwarts since his birth. He will be attending Hogwarts just like his parents did.”

Hagrid’s answer fell on deaf ears as Vernon had already fainted. Looking at the two unconscious people, he shrugged his massive shoulders.

“Let’s go then,” he turned towards the door.

“But I don’t have any money,” Harry protested.

“No need to worry about that,” Hagrid replied as he started walking out.

Shrugging his shoulders, Harry followed him outside.

The walk afterwards was one of the most bizarre of Harry’s life. It was a day of firsts for Harry. Hagrid didn’t seem to be much familiar with the things as he kept pointing out even the tiniest of things. As if he didn’t stand out enough due to his huge size.

They took the Tube to London. Harry had to pay for the tickets since Hagrid didn’t seem to understand the concept of Muggle money. He was ready to hand off the entire roll of pounds to the ticket clerk who looked like he was about to faint from seeing so much money at the same time.

After reaching London, Harry found himself in a crowded street with a strange run down building that people seemed to be avoiding. To his surprise, he found himself standing in front of it a few moments later.

“This, Harry, is Leaky Cauldron, the entrance to Diagon Alley, where you will be buying your supplies,” Hagrid said walking towards the building in shambles.

Harry’s eyes opened in disbelief as soon as he walked in. There were all sorts of people wearing weird clothes, chatting noisily. The business seemed to be thriving in here.

Hagrid walked up to the toothless barkeeper who smiled at Hagrid.

“Same as always Hagrid?” Tom asked.

Hagrid shook his head, “Not today Tom. I am here to escort young Harry here to buy his school supplies. He is starting this year.”

Tom peered down to where Harry was standing. For a moment he seemed to stare at him before his eyes went wide in shock.

“Could it be, you are Harry Potter?” his voice was loud, easily heard over the chatter in the whole pub. As soon as the word reached their ears, every head whipped around to see what the bartender was talking about. Strange murmurs started spreading as soon as their eyes landed on the scrawny boy standing there with the giant man.

Afterwards, it was a cacophony that enveloped Harry’s ears. His eyes swam with hordes of people coming to greet and shake his hand. The next couple of minutes were a blur to him.

Finally, Hagrid came to his rescue, pushing people away gently with his hands, “Alright, alright. That’s enough. Give the poor kid some breathing space.”

“You good there, Harry?” Hagrid asked brushing his clothes. At Harry’s nod, Hagrid gave a smile, “Okay, then let’s go.”

As they moved towards a door located on the opposite end, their path was blocked by a figure, wearing a huge turban.

“H-h-h-hello H-h-h-Hagrid,” the man stuttered.

“Oh Hello Professor Quirrel,” Hagrid said jovially, “Harry, he will be teaching you Defence against the Dark Arts.”

“N-not that y-you need it, eh P-p-potter,” Quirrel said limply shaking Harry’s hand, confusing Harry completely. Why wouldn’t he need the subject?

“Now Professor we must get going,” Hagrid said before Harry could ask something.

“O-o-o-of course, you must be in a hurry,” Quirrel answered motioning them forward.

Soon, they were standing in front of a brick wall. Hagrid took out an umbrella and started muttering to himself.

“Let’s see, which one was it again. Oh yeah, three up and two across,” with that Hagrid tapped a brick with the umbrella and the bricks melted away to reveal a beautiful scene.

“Welcome Harry, to Diagon Alley,” Hagrid said.

The world that Harry saw was one he couldn’t have imagined even in his wildest dreams. There were rows and rows of brightly coloured shops, filled with the weirdest things. There were eyes in the jar, hair hanging from the roof, strange liquid being sold and golden pots. An old woman was arguing over the price of liver. A shady looking man was holding something tightly while walking at a furious pace.

“Come on Harry, we need to get going. There’s a lot to buy,” Hagrid urged Harry forward.

As they moved further into alley, Harry’s eyes became wider as he stared at all the interesting things. In the end, they were standing in front a large white building in no time.

“Those are goblins Harry. Better be respectful to them,” Hagrid said, noticing Harry’s wide eyed stare at the strange creatures standing outside the bank.

The inside of the bank was as lush and luxurious as it exterior. There were rows and rows of desk on which the same strange creatures were sitting and doing business.

Hagrid approached one of the clerks who didn’t have any customer. The goblin looked up and gave Hagrid a cold stare.

“Yes?” The voice was as cold as the stare.

“We are here to get some money from Harry Potter’s vault and you-know-what in vault 713,” Hagrid answered cheerfully not noticing the goblin’s cold demeanour or maybe that was how the goblins treated everybody.

“I believe you have the appropriate items?” the goblin peered over the huge desk.

“Of course of course,” Hagrid nodded, “Here’s the letter from Professor Dumbledore,” Hagrid handed the goblin a letter who took it and began scrutinizing in earnest.

“Now where’s the key?” Hagrid continued, rummaging through his pockets and piling the things coming out of his pockets on the clerk’s desk who looked quite unhappy with the mess.

“Ah finally!” Hagrid exclaimed, pulling out a tiny golden key that he could barely hold between two fingers, “here you go.”

The goblin took the key and looked at it for a moment, “Griphook,” he shouted.

The next instant, a very identical looking goblin appeared beside the desk.

“Take Mr. Potter here to his Vault No. 687 and Vault 713,” the clerk goblin instructed to Griphook.

Griphook nodded to the clerk and turned towards Harry. Motioning with his finger to follow him he began walking to a set of doors located in the huge hall. As Harry crossed the door, he was surprised to find a dimly lit tunnel with tracks going down.

Griphook snapped his fingers and a cart came running. He got into the cart motioning for them to climb on. Harry immediately climbed inside while Hagrid did so reluctantly. The ride that followed was the most exhilarating experience for Harry.

All too soon for his liking the cart stopped in front of huge doors. Griphook climbed out and approached the doors. Pulling out the key that the clerk had given to him, he put it into the keyhole. At first, there were some rumbling sounds before the doors opened, blowing a cloud of dust.

Harry had lost count by now, of how many times his eyes had opened in disbelief during this short trip. There was a small mound of gold that was dazzling brilliantly in the light and all of this belonged to him. There would be no more starvation for him and none of Dudley’s oversized clothes.

“Time to get some money for your supplies Harry,” Hagrid said putting a handful of coins in a bag that he picked up from a corner.

“This should be enough to last you for a year Harry,” Hagrid said pushing the bag in the hands of a shocked Harry.

“All of this. This is mine?” Harry still hadn’t come out of the shock.

“Of course. Your parents left it for you,” Hagrid gave Harry a strange look and walked out of the vault.

“Now to Vault 713. Can we go a bit slow please?” Hagrid said getting into the cart.

“One speed only,” was the gruff reply from Griphook before the cart sped forward or rather downward.

The next vault was an exact replica of Harry’s vault, except that, instead of using a key, the goblin stroked the middle of the door with his long bony finger and it instantly melted away in a wall of dust.

The whole vault was empty except for a single podium made of stone, on which lay a bag. Hagrid quickly scooped it up and put it in his pocket.

“What was in that bag?” Harry asked curiously.

“Nothing Harry, nothing,” came the reply from Hagrid as he got into the cart.

The ride back was as exhilarating as the ride down. By the end of it Hagrid was looking more than a little green.

“Harry, why don’t you go to Madame Malkins,” Hagrid said, pointing to a shop ahead, “I think I need a stiff drink after that ride.”

“Alright,” Harry nodded his head slowly. Hagrid gave him a look before he took off in the direction of Leaky Cauldron.

Harry took a huge breath and let it out slowly. For now, he was alone in this new world. Steeling himself, he went inside the shop located just a few steps away.

A doorbell rang as he went inside the shop. It wasn’t a large shop but, it was filled with rows and rows of clothes. To one side, there were few stands where a young boy was getting measured by a middle aged lady.

Hearing the doorbell chime, the lady looked up. On seeing Harry standing there looking lost, she smiled.

“New to Hogwarts dear?” the voice was kind and warm. On Harry’s nod she continued, “Why don’t you stand
here. I will be with you shortly.”

Harry moved and stood at the place indicated. After measuring the boy, the woman moved away, leaving the two boys alone. At this time, the boy noticed Harry standing there.

“Are you starting this year?” the tone was superior as if he was looking down on Harry. The smirk on his face reminded him of bullies. “I am starting this year too. I am sure I’ll be sorted into Slytherin. That’s the only proper house, with proper tradition. All others are too lax on those half-bloods and Muggleborns, my father says. Are you one on them?”

Harry was saved from the effort of replying by the appearance of the old lady, who forcefully thrust the robes into the boy’s hand and gestured him to go out. The boy glared at the woman and stomped out of the shop.

“Don’t listen to the likes of him my dear,” the lady smiled, “Sorry for the delay, let’s get you fitted now, shall we?”

It didn’t take him long to be fitted in new robes and soon, he was walking out with a large bag full of new clothes and a radiant smile on his face.

“Hey Harry,” Hagrid called to him as soon as he walked out. Noticing Hagrid standing on one side Harry hurried to him. He was holding a cage with an owl in one hand.

“Got your robes?” Hagrid asked. At Harry’s nod, he stuck out the hand holding the owl, “Here, I bought a birthday gift for you.”

“Really?” Harry asked awed, as he tentatively took the cage. He examined the owl within. It was a beautiful owl with snowy white feathers and amber eyes, “It's so majestic.”

The owl hooted softly as if approving Harry’s choice of word.

“It’s a female owl Harry,” Hagrid chuckled, “Now let’s get on with your shopping.”

Their next shop was Flourish and Blotts, a book shop. This shop, like Madame Malkin’s was an average one, with rows and rows of books. Each shelf held a different category of book.

Taking out the list, Hagrid went inside and within a few minutes had grabbed all of the books that were required. Harry wanted to buy more but Hagrid stopped him, insisting that these books would suffice for him now.

After buying the books, the next thing on the list was a cauldron. Here too, Hagrid had to restrain Harry, who wanted to buy a gold one, saying that the list specifies a pewter cauldron. While buying a cauldron, they also stocked up on the necessary supplies for potion making.

In the end, the only thing left to buy was a wand for Harry. According to Hagrid, there was only one shop in whole Diagon Alley who sold wands.

“Here we are Harry,” Hagrid smiled from under his beard, “Ollivanders. The finest wand makers in the whole of Britain.”

Harry wasn’t sure about the finest part. The whole shop had an aura of mystery to it. Unlike all the brightly coloured shops of Diagon Alley, it was a rather dull. Even then, it could be noticed from the end of the Alley.
Entering the shop, the feeling of unease only intensified for Harry. It was almost as if he could feel the magic hanging in the air, calling out to him, infusing in his very being.

He raised one hand to ring the bell, when he found himself staring into two big, grey eyes. Startled, Harry took a step back.

“Ah, Mr. Potter,” the voice was deep and as mysterious as the shop, “I was expecting you.”

“Hello Mr. Ollivander,” despite Harry’s state of shock, Hagrid seemed at ease, “We are here for Harry’s wand.”

“Ah, Hello Hagrid,” the man named Ollivander looked away from Harry, “Oak Sixteen inches, malleable. A fine wand. It’s a shame they broke it. Though, I hope you aren't using its pieces?” the voice had turned stern by the end.

“Err, no of course not,” Hagrid pulled his coat tighter around himself, looking uncomfortable.

“That’s good, that’s good,” Ollivander seemed mollified by the answer, “Now, Mr. Potter needs a wand eh?” he turned towards Harry again, “Of course he does. Now which is your wand hand my dear boy?”

“Err, I am right handed...” Harry answered hesitantly.

“Alright then, stick out your hand for me.” Ollivander asked.

Harry did as he was asked by Ollivander who took a tape in his and hand and started measuring.

“That’s enough,” Ollivander said after a short while, carrying a box. It was then that Harry realized the tape
was measuring his arm itself.

“Why don’t you try this one? Maple, twelve inches, with a core of unicorn hair,” Ollivander opened the box.

Harry slowly grabbed the wand but, before he could even retract his hand, the wand was snatched out of it.

“No, no, no, that won’t do,” Ollivander shook his head, “How about this one, fourteen inches, yew with dragon heartstring.”

But once again, the wand was snatched before he could do anything. This show continued on for at least half an hour. By the end of it, Harry was getting quite frustrated.

“A tricky customer eh?” Ollivander sounded suspiciously excited, “Not to worry, Mr. Potter. I have sold hundreds of wands and there has yet to be a wizard or witch whose match I have not found. Of course it is actually the wand which chooses its owner,” Ollivander seemed lost in his own world.

“I wonder,” Ollivander had gone back to his mysterious self, “Yes that might be it.” And with that the old shop keeper disappeared in the back of his shop.

Harry didn’t have to wait long as the wand maker reappeared almost immediately, carrying a long red box.

“Here. Holly, eleven and a half inches, with a Phoenix feather core,” the voice of the old wand maker was dripping with awe.

As soon as Harry laid his eyes on the wand, he felt himself drawn towards it. It was like the wand was
beckoning him. Without even realizing it, he had stretched out his hand. Like in slow motion, he felt himself slowly grasping the wand. As soon as his hand closed around it, he was washed over by a strange warm sensation. Lifting the wand, he waved it around and, out of its tip flew bright sparks that filled the whole room.

“Bravo,” Ollivander clapped his hand jovially, “Though it is quite strange.”

Even though Harry had a bad feeling about this, he couldn’t stop himself, “What is so strange?”

“You see,” Ollivander began in his mysterious way, “The Phoenix who gave the feather for this wand
happened to give just another one. And that wand, yes Mr. Potter, gave you that scar,” he had lifted the bang that covered Harry’s scar and traced it slowly with a finger.

“That would be seven Galleons,” the change was so abrupt that it left Harry hanging for a moment.

Snapping out of his daze, he took out the appropriate amount of money and placed it on the shelf before walking out of the shop.

“What was all that about?” Harry asked Hagrid as soon as they were out of shop.

“It’s just old Ollivander,” Hagrid said jovially, “he likes to mess with people.”

“Not that,” Harry shook his head, “I meant the last part. What did he meant by that a wand gave me a scar. For that matter, why were all those people flocking to meet me?”

“You mean you don’t know?” Hagrid asked astonished.

“Know what?” the frustration at the situation was beginning to show in his voice.

“You mean, the Dursleys never told you?” Hagrid still was in surprised state.

“Tell me what?” Harry asked again.

“I never imagined Harry Potter himself wouldn’t know,” Hagrid mumbled scratching his beard, “This would be
difficult.”

“What are you saying? I can’t hear you,” Harry strained his ears.

“Nothing. Look it’s almost lunch time. Why don’t we eat and I’ll tell you what you want to know,” Hagrid suggested.

“Finally,” Harry sighed.

Their next stop was Leaky Cauldron, which seemed to be buzzing with people almost as much as before if not more.

“Hey Tom,” Hagrid said leaning over the counter. The counter seemed to groan under the weight and for a moment Harry was worried that it might break under the stress, but thankfully it held, “Can we get a private room for lunch?”

“Of course,” Tom smiled knowingly, “wouldn’t want others to disturb you. I imagine you already would have enough of that. Come this way.”

Tom led them to a small room situated to one side. It had one table and a few chairs in it.

“I’ll be back in a few minutes to take your order,” Tom smiled and left them.

Sitting down on the table, Harry picked up the menu. Seeing the name of all these delicious dishes made him remember that he didn’t have a hearty breakfast at all. Feeling the weight of the coin’s bag, he was sure he could eat his fill for once.

“Have you decided on your orders?” Tom had reappeared. For some strange reason, the bar keeper himself was waiting instead of sending one of the guys working here that Harry had seen. He was sure it had to do something with why he was so famous.

After placing the order, Harry bombarded Hagrid with questions about the wizarding world, who tried to answer as best as he can. This series of question continued well into the lunch.

It was only when the lunch was entering its final phase did Harry ask the question that was on his mind.

“So Hagrid,” Harry began, “You promised to tell me about the reaction of these people.”

“Well, err, that’s because you are famous Harry,” Hagrid answered uncomfortably.

Harry rolled his eyes, “Even I can figure that part out Hagrid. I am asking, why am I famous?”

“That’s a bit hard to explain,” Hagrid said, “You see, you vanquished a great evil when you were one year old.”

“A bit more detail Hagrid please?” Harry asked impatiently.

“Alright alright,” Hagrid waved his hand in air, “Not long ago, there was an evil wizard He-Who-Must-Not-Be-
Named. He wanted to get rid of all Muggleborns and half-bloods because they weren’t pure. He brought with himself a reign of darkness and terror. People feared him and his servants, the Death Eaters. None who crossed their path ever lived. He would have taken over the whole of Britain if it wasn’t for one man, Albus Dumbledore. He and his organization, they were the only thing that stood in front of You-Know-Who.”
Hagrid took a break to take a sip from his large tankard, “Your parents, Lily and James Potter, they were a part of the fight against him. Great people they were. You-Know-Who tried to recruit them several times but each time; they refused. I guess he got tired and wanted to remove them from his way but, one day, he showed up at the Potters residence. Lily and James, they tried to put up a fight against him, but they were no match for his power and cruelty. I don’t why, but after that he tried to kill their baby. Maybe he wanted to make a clean job of it. And then, something unusual happened. He vanished. An act that none of the great families, Bones, Prewetts, McKinnons or even Albus Dumbledore could do, a one year old did it. That’s why you are famous Harry. That’s why you are the Boy-Who-Lived.”

“B-But I was only a one year old,” that was the only thing the shock-riddled brain of Harry Potter could manage.

Hagrid shook his head, “That’s the mysterious part. No one knows what happened. He just vanished. Some says he is dead. I reckon there wasn’t enough human left in him to die.”

“So you are saying he is still around?” Harry questioned.

“I guess. At least that’s what Professor Dumbledore thinks,” Hagrid answered.

“Are you finished sir?” Tom took that moment to interrupt, “I am here with your bill.”

After paying the bill Hagrid stood up, “Alright Harry, time to take you back to your relatives.”

Hearing that, Harry became alarmed. He absolutely wanted to avoid the Dursleys now that he was here.

“Why don’t you go ahead Hagrid, I can go myself,” Harry answered.

“What are you saying Harry?” Hagrid sounded worried, “It’s my job to get you back. I don’t want something to happen to you.”

Despite the situation, a smile broke out on Harry’s face. This was the first time that someone showed him real concern, “Really Hagrid, I’ll be fine. You attract too much attention in the Muggle world with your large size. Besides don’t you have that package to deliver?”

“You are right Harry. I should take it as soon as I can to Hogwarts,” Hagrid opened the door to the main hall and walked out, “Come on I’ll at least see you to the exit.”

Together, they walked out of Leaky Cauldron where Hagrid stood for a moment, “You sure Harry, you will be alright alone?”

“I am positive Hagrid,” Harry answered, “I’ll be off now. See you later.”

“Goodbye Harry.”

With that Harry started walking. He kept on till Hagrid became a distinct blur. The streets of London were busy no matter the hour so, it wasn’t that far ahead. He kept wandering the street for a few more minutes making sure that Hagrid had enough time to return. When he was completely sure, he returned to Leaky Cauldron.

After the lunch hour, the crowd in the Leaky Cauldron had thinned a bit. Still there were too many to suit Harry’s taste. Ducking his head, he made his way to the counter where Tom was busy with a ledger.

“Um, I would like to rent a room.” Harry spoke, trying his best to hide his nervousness.

Tom looked up from his work. Seeing Harry there a look of surprise crossed his face, “Mr Potter!” he exclaimed albeit in a low voice, “You asked for a room? Why would you require a room alone? Don’t you have guardians to return to?”

Harry cleared his throat, “They aren’t in the country at the moment and it would be too much of a hassle to return to their home now. I don’t want to bother them too much,” it was the best thing Harry could come up with on the spot.

“If you say so Mr. Potter. It isn’t our policy to pry in our customer’s business more than needed,” Tom replied with a grin, “Here’s the key to your room. Do you need any help with your luggage?”

“No I think I can manage,” Harry too smiled taking the key from Tom.

Dragging his trunk up the stairs, he dumped it to the side of his bed in room while he himself plopped down on the said bed. Now that he had successfully evaded going to the Dursleys for the next month, next thing on the list was how to spend his time here.

Harry guessed he could read his course books and get a head start on the year. Now that there were no Dursleys to pressure on him, he could finally work at his best. But right now, the thing that intrigued him the most was the wizarding world. It was just so fascinating. Everything looked so different from what he was used to. It was like he was transported to a different era completely. The culture looked different, the currency was different. Even how people travelled seemed different. There was just so much that he wanted to learn. Though, for now he was tired and the learning had to wait.

In the evening, Harry got up and locked his room. Going to the back door, where the entrance to the Diagon Alley was located, he tapped the appropriate brick and he entered the Diagon Alley for the second time in that day.

Unlike the first time, he had only one stop to make this time. That was Flourish and Blotts. It wasn’t hard to remember where the bookstore was located. Harry had gawked enough at every shop that there was a whole map of Diagon Alley etched in his mind already.

Entering the shop, he made his way to the Wizarding Customs and Tradition section. This turned out to be a mistake. Almost every title suggested a dull and boring read. Grimacing, Harry picked up a few books which looked to be mildly interesting. He was about to make his way to the counter to pay for them when a book in a corner caught his eye. It was a book on wizarding noble families. Finding the topic fascinating, Harry added it to his collection and went to the counter.

After paying for the books, Harry straight went to Leaky Cauldron and in his room. Sitting down in the chair, Harry opened the book on the noble families and started reading it. In the beginning was a list of the noble families currently present in Great Britain. That was where Harry had his second set of shocks today. The name ‘Potter’ was written among a few others. The first thought that came to his mind was why was his family name written there?

So Harry started reading the book in earnest. The more he read, more he was surprised. The noble families possessed a kind of royal stature in the wizarding world. They possessed certain rights and leeway.
Moreover the Wizengamot, wizarding parliament of sorts, was almost exclusively made up of noble families and their side families. It truly was like a throwback to an old era. Another interesting titbit about the noble families was the ownership of family vaults in Gringotts, a vault used to store family heirloom and main family treasury. Harry certainly didn’t remember seeing any kind of heirlooms. Also, the goblin specifically said his trust vault. This just meant he had another visit to Gringotts and probably another vault to see.

All that though was for tomorrow. Now he had to eat something. Reading through this almost dull book had left Harry famished. It was just a dreadful reminder that it was going to be hell reading those books.
Stretching, Harry got up and made his way down. Dinner was a pleasant affair for Harry, who hadn’t had two consecutive full meals in, well, forever. After dinner, he decided to do some reading on his courses. Coming up empty on any kind of preference that he might have had, Harry randomly grabbed a book, which turned out to be Transfiguration. Shrugging his shoulders, Harry sat down and started reading it.

The next day started much later than usual for Harry. The Transfiguration book had turned out to be more interesting than Harry’s initial assessment. So much so, that he had finished the first chapter completely. At first, he was slightly upset at having no match stick to practice with but, a bright idea had struck him. He had made his way downstairs and asked Tom for some. At first, Tom looked a bit surprised but then he had smiled and given Harry a couple of boxes.

“Practicing Transfiguration eh? Mr. Potter. Believe me, you will need it. Professor McGonagall’s a strict teacher,” those were his words as he handed him the boxes.

Harry had nodded at the old barkeeper’s words and ran back to his room. He had practiced till late at night and had then fallen on the bed in exhaustion, wearing the same clothes that he had previously.

Shaking his head, Harry snapped out of his musing and starting preparing for the day. Today he had the visit to his possible family vault on the list. Taking out his clothes, Harry gave them a critical once over. Even though he now owned several pairs of new robes, sadly all he had in Muggle clothes were his cousin’s old cast off too big for his frames. Vowing to find some time to buy new clothes, he dressed up in his best pair of jeans and shirt and made his way down.

The Leaky Cauldron was brimming with activity like yesterday. Harry ordered his breakfast and sat on an out of the way table. Many people looked at him strangely for being a lone kid eating all by himself, but Harry paid them no mind. He had kind of understood that if he wanted to survive in Wizarding World, he had to tolerate these stares.

Finishing his food, Harry paid the bill and made his way out in Diagon Alley. Today, his destination was Gringotts. Being the only Wizarding bank, it was located at a prominent and easy to access place which Harry reached quite easily. Entering the bank, Harry felt a bit nervous. What if his family had no family vault? What if he made a fool out of himself?

Questions like these were circling in his head but Harry shook them off fiercely. He was here now. Might as well get it over with. He looked around the bank trying to spot a free clerk. Finding one, Harry quickly made his over.

The clerk had, like others, his head bent over the table reading something. Harry cleared his throat to get his attention. The goblin looked up from his table as if being interrupted was the last thing he wanted.

“Yes?” the displeasure was prominent in his voice.

“Um, I am here to discuss about Potter Family Vault,” Harry said nervously.”

The goblin gave Harry a once over, “And you are?”

“Potter, Harry Potter.”

The goblin nodded his head and motioned for another goblin to come closer.

“Take Mr. Potter here to his accounts manager,” the clerk said authoritatively.

The goblin nodded and motioned for Harry to follow him.

The room that they entered next was even more lavishly furnished than the main hall.

“If you will wait here Mr. Potter, you accounts manager would be with you shortly,” the goblin said and disappeared down another door.

Harry didn’t have to wait for long. Only a few moments later, a goblin dressed in an expensive suit entered in the office.

“Welcome Mr. Potter. My name’s Gornhuk. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” the goblin look more mild-mannered than the other goblins Harry had encountered so far.

“Um, hello,” Harry was feeling distinctly out of place in his jeans and t-shirt, standing in such a beautifully decorated office and in front of such well-dressed goblin.

“I was told, Mr. Potter, that you wanted to discuss some matter related to your family vault,” Gornhuk went straight to business as soon as he sat down.

“Yes,” Harry tried to compose himself, “The first thing I wanted to ask was, why I wasn’t notified of my inheritance before today? Isn’t it the duty of the bank to handle such a matter?”

The goblin smiled for a moment, “Mr. Potter, it looks like you still have a lot to learn about the wizarding world. It is the policy of Gringotts to leave such matters up to concerned parties.”

“But what if the original party dies without notifying the other party beforehand?” Harry questioned.

“There is no such special circumstances mentioned in the bylaws,” Gornhuk answered, “So the policy remains the same.”

“But that’s ridiculous,” Harry exclaimed. He couldn’t believe his ears, “That could mean that a person might never get his inheritance if someone died in an accident. There could be something important.”

“Mr. Potter,” the goblin smiled, “A policy is a policy, whether it is ridiculous or outstanding. We have to follow it. If, hypothetically speaking, the dying party did want to give something really important to the receiving party, then he should have made sure that it reaches him in case anything happens to him.”

Harry just shook his head. There was no point in arguing with the goblin, “Can I visit my Family Vault?” he asked.

“Of course Mr. Potter,” Gornhuk stood up, “Come, I’ll escort you myself.”

Harry expected to return to the main hall and then enter the tunnels the below but, he was surprised to find that the tunnels were directly linked to the manager’s office.

This time, the cart ride was much longer. Harry guessed there were going into the older parts of the tunnel. After a while, the cart stopped in front of a huge gate that looked ancient. Gornhuk was the first one to get out the cart, dusting his suit. Harry followed suit, not soon after.

“Now, Mr. Potter,” Gornhuk turned towards him, “you just need to place your hand there,” he pointed towards a hand impression on the door, “and the door will open.”

Harry nodded his head and stepped forward. He placed his hand the on the place and waited.

Suddenly there was an intense prickling sensation, “Ouch!” Harry exclaimed, retracting his hand, “What was that?” he looked at his hand. There was blood flowing from his palm but, within moments it was gone.

“These Vaults are protected by strong blood wards,” Gornhuk explained, “Only a person with the right blood can enter.”

Right then, there was a sound of gears grinding. Harry turned around only to find himself in front of an amazing sight. If he thought his trust vault was huge, then he had no words to describe his family vault. And there wasn’t just gold in it. There were all sorts of jewellery, paintings, book shelves and other things that Harry couldn’t see.

“Um, Gornhuk, can you tell me just how much I own?” Harry asked with wonder.

“I thought you might ask that,” the goblin replied with a toothy grin as he fished out a couple rolls of parchment out from his pocket, “there entail all the assets, whether monetary or non-monetary, belonging to the Potters.”

Harry’s eyes glazed over as he looked at the parchment. There were some huge numbers written there. Of course, he had no idea about the working of wizarding economy but guessing from the cost of his school supplies, he had to be filthy rich. Though, Harry had to admit that was a lousy base.

As Harry stood there, having no idea what to do, his eyes were caught by a podium, standing elegantly to one side. He approached the podium, only to find there was a single letter on it, addressed to him. Deciding, he would read it later, he put it in his pocket.

“Alright Gornhuk let’s go,” Harry turned towards the goblin who was standing outside of the vault.
In a short while, they were once again sitting in Gornhuk’s office.

“So Mr. Potter, Is there anything else that I might help you with?”

“No, that would be all,” Harry said standing up when he remembered something, “Gornhuk. It is such a hassle to come to Gringotts again and again. Is there a way, I can access my money without having to come here?”

“You could employ our infinity bag services Mr. Potter,” the goblin answered pleasantly.

“Infinity bag services?” Harry questioned.

“Yes, Mr. Potter, as the name suggests, it is a bag with an infinity charm cast on it to help when large amount is to be procured through it. It is directly linked to the user’s vault. All you have to do is think about the money that you need. If the amount of money is present in your vault it will appear in your bag. Of course it is fool proof. Only the user has the right to access it. Although it is more than a bit expensive.”

“I don’t think money is a problem Gornhuk. Also do you deal in Wizarding to Muggle money conversion?”
“Of course Mr. Potter, we deal in all kind of Muggle currencies. We have dealings with all the major Muggle banks to help meet our client’s wishes. Of course a reasonable exchange tax is also applied on transaction.” Gornhuk seemed to have gone into his business mood.

“What’s the exchange rate?” Harry asked

“Currently,” Gornhuk opened one of the many drawers on his desk and took out some papers. This was the first time Harry had seen papers in wizarding world. Gornhuk flipped through them for a while, “Ah, yes. It is roughly Five pounds to a galleon with an exchange tax of one galleon per hundred galleon transaction.”

“And the pouch?”

“Infinity pouch service costs twenty galleons per month. Transaction limit is ten thousand galleons. If it exceeds that amount then ten galleons are charge for every thousand galleons of transaction.

“Isn’t that a bit too much?” Harry questioned.

“I already told you Mr. Potter. Infinity pouch services are expensive. It is understandable if you don’t want it now,” Gornhuk answered placing the papers back.

“No,” Harry shook his head, “Please link one to my accounts.”

“Of course Mr. Potter. Please sign on this document and the infinity pouch would be yours,” Gornhuk placed a parchment in front of him.

Signing the document, Harry returned the document to Gornhuk whose eyes showed a strange light for a moment. He rang a bell and a goblin carrying a pouch entered the office.

“Here is your pouch Mr. Potter,” the goblin stretched out his hands towards Harry who took it and stuffed it in his pocket.

“Is there anything else Mr. Potter?” Gornhuk asked.

“No this is everything,” Harry smiled and stood up.

“If you say so Mr. Potter,” the goblin too stood up, “I must say it was a pleasure doing business with you.”

“I feel the same,” Harry smiled not really feeling the same. Honestly, he found the whole bank ridiculous. Their policies were strange and their rates too high.

Returning to his room, the first thing he did was open the letter that was addressed to him. As he expected, it was from his parents. The envelope included a copy of their will and a letter.

Firstly, he decided to read the will. Beside Harry, four other people were mentioned in their will. Harry guessed they all, too, were dead. It was after that, that Harry received his most recent set of shock.
Next he took the letter that was written by his parents. He did read the letter in a short while but, it took him much longer to process everything that was written in it. The information that the letter contained was just too mind boggling. Why Voldemort attacked them. His supposed destiny. The manipulations by Albus Dumbledore. It was all written in the letter.

It took him a long time to digest what he read, but when he did, the first emotion that bloomed inside him was anger. Not a raging inferno but a boiling, calm, magma that would wait its chance and then destroy everything in its path.

Revenge. That was the only thing on the mind of eleven year old Harry Potter, as his life with the Dursleys flashed in front of his eyes. All of them would pay. Dumbledore, Voldemort. None would be spared when the time came. Till then, he had a lot to learn.
……………………………………..
Reviews 21
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear