Search:

SIYE Time:8:48 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Spooky Entanglement
By BrianMcLyr

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 132
Summary: A typical redo with the tiniest of twist. Harry sends 8yrs of memories and knowledge to his 12yr old self
Hitcount: Story Total: 60435; Chapter Total: 4900







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A/N Quelling is not something that you can rush. You cannot slay a dragon and buy a kingdom with the treasure and then free a friend and behead the evil Grand Vizier in a single day. The little things in between have some worth as well.
So 23k, get comfortable.

Ch.6 Quelling


Harry walked as quietly as possible. He was under his Invisibility Cloak and didn’t want to create any disembodied noises to garner unwanted attention. It was only just past curfew so he assumed there would be a higher chance of students racing to their common rooms and professors patrolling to assure they went. It was a slow stroll but he did make it to his final destination.

The second floor girls loo.

The haunt of Moaning Myrtle.

The entrance to the Chamber of Secrets.

Moaning Myrtle did not seem to be in residence at the moment, fortunately. Perhaps she was resting in her s-bend. Harry stood before the sinks and took off his cloak, stuffing it in his book bag he had slung across his chest and shoulder. He had brought the shoulder strap book bag because it allowed him to bring what he needed for this little adventure but still have his hands free to cast bones and spells.

Standing in front of the sink with the faucet that had the little embossed snake on it, Harry said, “Open.” When nothing happened Harry concentrated a bit harder on his task and repeated, “Open.” Again nothing happened. Harry was quite frustrated, with all his planing and preparation, and he couldn’t open the bloody sink.

Leaning in close to the faucet, Harry stared at the tiny raised snake emblem, imagining that he could actually see an eye on the little relief. With a bit of his anger and frustration in his voice, Harry hissed, “Open” at the damned snake.

With a low rumble the sinks started to move. They separated about an arms length as they moved forward revealing the Chambers entrance.

From his bag he pulled out a sock. A white sock with a single red strip at the top, not that it mattered at all. After he cast a light “Engorgio!” on it he pulled it over his head, like a beanie, covering his eyes. Harry assumed he looked right barmy wearing a large sock for a hat, but he wasn’t going to a fashion show so no worries.

Harry then cast the Super Sensory Spell on himself. The spell was difficult to get used to and odd to be under. He was presented a definite three dimensional image of his surroundings. However it wasn’t like vision, it was more like the information of his surroundings was bombarding his brain from all directions, all in shades of gray. He was as aware of what was behind him as before him and when he first started practicing the spell, it was very disorientating.

Next he reached into the open elf bag, within his book bag, and grabbed as many chicken bones he could hold in one hand.

With chicken bones in one hand and his wand in the other, a large sock stuck atop his head, Harry jumped down the sink hole. The vertical fall turned into a horizontal slide. The slide dumped him out into a muck of rat bones and leach water.

Immediately Harry cast “Gallos!” on the bones he had in his left hand. He was surprised how explosive nine close packed chicken bones being transform into adult roosters could be. So were the roosters, they seemed very upset. Actually having all but occupied the same space at their creation, they were pushed violently away from each other. Eight of them were rather distraught about their treatment and were just flapping their wings wondering what the world was coming to, even if their concept of world was only seconds old. One rooster though did crow, perhaps he had been at the epicenter of the Big Bantam Bang.

With that one cock’s crow Harry knew he was safe for the moment. If any creature vulnerable to a cockerel’s crow were about, then they were no longer a danger. Harry cast a large “Mufliato!” spell on the area. He then pulled more bones from his supply and scattered them on the ground a bit before he cast “Gallos!” on them. He hoped if the creature he was hunting wasn’t contained in the Chamber as he thought, then maybe if it came upon this room unawares it would meet its end before the roosters did.

Harry refilled his left hand with chicken bones before he left the eighty or so roosters all asquabble in the muck and stepped into the tunnel that led towards the Chamber. At a hundred paces into the tunnel Harry paused, he thought he was about half way to the open cavern. Harry put a large number of bones on the floor and transfigured about seventy roosters into being. After a few cocks crowed Harry again cast a large area “Mufliato!” and continued on.

Before he reached the open cavern he had to recast the Super Sensory Spell on himself. as his gray world had started to turn black. When he did reach the open cavern, it was a surprise. He had thought he would transform some roosters close enough to the cavern to ensure no danger before he walked in there. He however found himself there, standing in the end of his tunnel opening with the cavern before him.

Fortunately the cavern was empty. Harry crossed the length of the cavern. He noted that there was no shed snake skin laying about which offered some confirmation that the beast was locked in the Chamber as he thought. Or, maybe it just hadn’t shed its skin here yet.

Harry took a great pause when he came before the Chamber portal with the snake motif. He was certain the bloody beast was locked in there or over the centuries it would have been seen about the castle. So all the precautions he had practiced until now, traversing the underground to here, was overly cautious. But it is often said better overly cautious then dead.

Harry’s heart rate increased noticeably, from this portal on his life was at real risk. There was of course the strong possibility the great thing was slithering about just on the other side of this portal. Harry meant to be ready for that, just in case.

Harry cast a large “Mufliato!” spell on the area just before the portal and then extracted hundreds of chicken bones from his ‘magic bag’. Scattering them out in a great fan shape. He then cast “Gallos!” until he had what looked like two hundred bloody damn roosters. Half of them were challenging the others, and it seemed at least twenty five or so were crowing at any time. It was a veritable cacophony of cook-a-doodle-doos.

Harry recast the Super Sensory Spell on himself as a precaution and then stepped up to the Chamber Portal. He looked at the snakes and said, “Open.” Again, the difference between a live snake and an image of a snake caused him trouble. It took two more tries before the bloody snakes moved to unlock the door. All the while Harry’s heart rate soared as adrenaline just kept pumping into his veins.

With the portal open Harry could sense that there was nothing in the ‘Grand Hall’ that lead to the Chamber proper. Climbing through the portal Harry jumped the few feet to the floor. On this side of the “Mufliato!” he had cast near the portal he could no longer hear the raucous roosters he had left behind.

As he walked towards the Chamber he stopped at about half way and cast “Mufliato!” and transfigured another hundred bones in case he needed a speedy retreat. He knew he could never out run the serpent if it was a race to the portal, so a mid point cockerel station seemed a good idea.

At the end of the ‘Grand Hall’ just before it opened into the Chamber Harry again cast a large “Mufliato!” charm. Then he again transfigured hundreds of bones into roosters. As he stepped into the Chamber to call the beast he wondered if it was naturally afraid of roosters. Not that it could out run a cocks crow, but Harry was unsure if there was a minimum distance that the Basilisk had to be within to find death in the sound. Harry didn’t want it to stick its head out see roosters and run off before he could cancel the privacy spell.

Harry chose to try and conjure a rock wall to hide the crowded Hall of roosters from the line of site of the statues mouth, where the beast was sure to come from. He knew the spell but had not tried to cast it. So his failure to successfully conjure a rock wall wasn’t surprising. What he mistakenly conjured instead was a surprise though. Harry some how had conjured some old fashioned free standing hospital screens across the entry way.

The screens were exactly like Madam Pomfrey had in the hospital wing upstairs, and Harry wondered briefly if he had somehow summoned them. But realized there was no way he could miscast a conjuration spell so bad that it became a summoning charm.

Well, he thought, they accomplish what he needed so no need to dither and fuss.

Harry turned to the statue of Slytherin and said “Speak to me, Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts four.” The mouth of Slytherin’s statue rumbled open.

Preceded by whispers of “hungry” a huge snout appeared in the opening.

Harry turned back to his hidden army of roosters. His Brigade of Bantams, if you will. And immediately saw he had buggered himself. He had conjured the bloody screens on this side of the :Mufliato!” spell. He couldn’t dispel the Privacy charm through the screens, and the bloody damn serpent was almost free of the statue and certainly expectant of a meal.

Harry charged the screens and straight armed one out of his way. He could sense the beast was exiting the water and rearing up to strike.

Without any obstructions impeding a spell Harry slashed his wand from left to right and screamed “Finite Incantatem!” dispelling the “Mufliato!” spell. Now any other time Harry would be the first to tell you that the volume of the incantation did not effect the potency of the spell. The power a competent wizard instilled in the spell when cast was the only thing that did that, whether the spell was whispered or screamed.

In this particular case though the scream was more indicative of the energy Harry put into the spell rather then a foolish attempt to increase spell power by volume. White spellfire erupted from his wand and exploded at the boundary of the privacy charm, dispelling it in a flash. Also twelve or thirteen of the closest roosters clattered to the floor, having reverted to bones. None of this really mattered to Harry at that moment though as he was very aware of the basilisk behind him.

With the privacy charm gone the Chamber was suffused with at least ten cock crows, with more initiated as those ended. The great serpent that was reared up behind Harry collapsed like a... well like a great big dead snake really. Its head smacked the floor no more then four feet behind Harry.

Harry stood frozen for a moment, unable to hear the clamoring cocks for the sound of his own heart beat pounding in his ears. He slowly turned towards the Basilisk, though that didn’t really matter with the Sensory charm still working and the sock still pulled down over his eyes. He pulled some bones out and tossed them on and around the beast’s great head. Harry then cast “Gallos!” on them. He assuredly was not going to remove his stocking cap until he proved that the magic of a basilisk’s eyes died with the basilisk.

All the transfigured cocks ignored the great dead beast and reacted to each other as normal. Not a one of them suffered any adverse ailments while standing within view of a the dead basilisks eyes.

After almost a minute watching the test subjects, just to be sure, Harry canceled the Super Sensory Spell and removed his sock. As he had thought the torches were lit, he assumed by magic. With his bare eyeballs Harry surveyed the beast. It stretched from his feet to the water around the statue. Harry was sure it wasn’t any larger then what he had seen in his vision, logically it couldn’t be, but it sure looked like it was. It was bloody huge.

“Rhiannon’s Perky Paps.” He quietly exclaimed.

Harry suddenly took noticed of the chaotic cacophony of crowing cockerels. As much as he had not minded the constant cock-a-doodle-doos earlier, they were now a little irritating. He started casting “Finite Incantatem!” left, right and center. Not all of the roosters dispelled back into bones. Harry found twenty cockerel corpses that he had to vanished.

Originally, when Harry had contemplated doing this, he had thought to ask the house elves to help harvest the carcass. However when they delivered the chicken bones in that marvelous Elf bag he rethought his options. He extracted the blue elf bag from his book bag. Opening the top fully he over turned it and shook out all the bones left in it. It left a sizable pile of chicken bones on the Chamber floor. Harry guessed he had only used half but he didn’t think the elves wanted the left overs back.

Harry then did what until then he had been afraid to do in fear of destroying the bag with all the bones in it. He cast “Engorgio!” on it, hoping his magic didn’t react unfavorably with the eleven magic. To his utter relief his spell worked just fine. He cast “Engorgio!” on it three more times, and stopped when the bags opening achieved a diameter of seven feet or so.

Harry then turned to the corpse of the beast and cast “Wingardium Leviosa!” on its head. There was no way he could magic the whole thing off the floor, but just the head, no worries. With the head a few inches off the floor Harry slipped the sack over it. He then cast “Wingardium Leviosa!” on the next section of serpent and inched the bag further onto the carcass. He did this repeatedly until he had the bloody beast bagged .

Pulling the drawstrings tight and tying them off, Harry then started casting “Reducio!” on the currently huge elf sack. It wasn’t long before he had a cute little blue bag maybe two inches long and perhaps an inch wide, and still light as a feather. That was because the elves had put a Permanent Featherweight charm on it, not from anything Harry had done.

Harry stood a moment looking at where he was and what he had done. He had just killed a dark beast well off the ministry scales for evil and dangerous. The only evidence of the fight was all the scattered chicken bones and some incongruous hospital screens. In his hand he held a tiny little bag that held the corpse of a monstrous basilisk in it. Harry gave a little chuckle, stuffed the little elf bag in his pocket and started the trek out of there.

Along the way he commanded the portal to “Close.” and dispelled all his charms and transfigurations. It isn’t that they would not have dissipated on their own in time, Harry just left no lose ends. At the bottom of the tunnel he had fallen and slid from he pulled his Nimbus out of his school bag and carefully flew up to the loo.

Luck was still with him as Myrtle was still not in evidence. Harry “Closed” the sinks and put on his Invisibility Cloak before he left the loo. The return to the tower was uneventful and the common room was empty when he got there.

Harry put his Cloak in his book bag and sat on the couch before the fire. It was past midnight but Harry had no sleep in him. He sat for almost an hour waiting for his body and mind to slow down enough for sleep to catch and over take him. Come one o-clock Harry was stumbling up to his bed, fighting to keep his eyes open.




Sunday found Harry doing his best to ignore the light and sounds of his dorm room that had insidiously woke him and now prevented him from regaining unconsciousness. At half seven Harry was starting to accept his fate. At eight he gave up and got about.

After he had his shower and got dressed Harry had less then an hour if he wanted more then fruit and croissants for breakfast. He slung his book bag over his shoulder and headed down to the Greathall with every intention of eating more than a Weasley should, or a Wood could.

The Great Hall was as populated this morning as it had been the day before. Perhaps thirty-five students sat at each table, on average. The problem with the Gryffindor table was that most of them were sitting with Harry’s friends at mid table.

Luna sat with Ginny along with Colin and Damelza. Down along the bench were the gossip girls, while up along the bench the Gryffindor chasers Katie, Alicia and Angelina. Across from those three sat the twins and Lee Jordan, of course. Neville was sat with Ron and Hermione while down the bench from them were Seamus and Dean. Half the people at the table were in this one group and if Harry wanted to sit with them his options were limited. Sit next to Dean, Lavender, Lee or Angelina.

When Harry plopped down next to Angelina he received a cold stony stare from Lee. Harry lifted a single eye brow and chuckled slightly. What did Lee think was going to happen, there was three years between them and more than a foot difference in height.

Angelina was a team mate and Harry was pretty sure she would get the joke. Harry sidled up against her and laid his head on her shoulder while staring at Lee, smiling. Angelina froze for a few seconds with her spoon half way to her mouth before she figured out what was going on and why. She snorted some and barked out a laugh or two while , to the best anyone could tell, Lee blushed. Harry just smiled broader and straightening up started dishing himself up a huge post big beast bashing breakfast.

Fred had a go at embarrassing three for one by asking, “So, Lee, what’cha think about Potter cuddling Johnson there?” That may have got a blush from Angelina and may have increased Lee’s.

“Who wouldn’t want to cuddle her. She is quiet easy to fancy, right Fred?” George offered up directly after. If it was a competition, George won. Fred immediately pinked and even though he had said it George did too a little. Angelina’s blush probably increased but Lee’s may well have turned to a flush of irritation. With their beautiful dark complexions it was hard to tell. Well Harry thought Angelina’s complexion was beautiful, didn’t think much one way or ta’ other bout Lee’s.

Harry, though, just finished loading his plate and started eating. Nary a noticeable engorged capillary in his continence. He may well have been aware of Angelina’s attractive attributes but he held no desires for her.

Harry did a fair imitation of Ron, quietly shoveling food in his gob quite single mindedly. When all the high protein foods started to vanish from the table Harry had managed to vanish the food from his plate.

Harry chatted for a brief time with his five team mates. If Oliver had been there it would have been a team meeting. Without being to abrupt or rude Harry extracted himself from the group and headed off to the owlery.

Harry sat down to compose his letter on the steps outside the owlery , because there would be no place in the owlery he would willing sit. Withdrawing a textbook to write upon, parchment, quill and ink he considered what the tone of his letter should be. At first he considered a personal post, but decided on professional and business like.

To: Senior Account Manager Goldtooth
From: Harry J. Potter
Re: Alternative funds for house elf acquisition

After receiving your last communique I was disheartened and found myself wondering aimlessly
around trying to conceive of some way to earn 120,000 Galleons hurriedly. In that wondering, to
my absolute surprise, I came upon a rather large Basilisk. Most fortuitous for me, I had my eyes
closed and two hundred roosters on hand. The encounter was painless for me but terminal for the
basilisk I am afraid. Happening to have a marvelous elven bag with me, I stuffed the carcass in it
and shrunk it so as to send to you. Please note the tiny blue bag included. It will need to be
enlarged to extract the beast. You mentioned a late client that farmed the creatures briefly and I
had hopes you would still know someone to harvest the commercial bits from the corpse for me.
It is my sincere hope that there will be enough profit to purchase Dobby the house elf from Mr.
Malfoy. I would be very grateful for the return of the elf bag, please.

May we both be Perpetually Prosperous
Harry Potter

Harry placed the elf bag at the bottom of the parchment and cast a sticking charm on it. Then he rolled the parchment half way, folded in the outer edges and finished rolling it up. He cast a sticking charm to the opening edge as well. He wanted to be sure the little elf bag arrived with the letter. Harry then carefully addressed the outside of the letter to: Senior Account Manager Goldtooth, Gringott’s, London.

When Harry entered the owlery Hedwig greeted him with a hoot and flew right to him. After a few minutes giving her some good head scratching Harry tied the letter to her leg and sent her on her way. Harry was unsure when Goldtooth would get the post. He seriously doubted the goblins went to worship on Sundays but they most likely did have days off.

The return to the populous area of the castle was a slow and leisurely stroll. Harry decided to head to the common room to see if his friends had returned from breakfast. They were not there but he did run into Oliver Wood posting the Quidditch practice schedule on the common room notice board.

Oliver and Harry exchanged greetings and a few pleasant words but, though team mates, the difference between twelve and sixteen left little common ground. Harry knew this better then most his age.

Harry perused the posted schedule after Oliver left . The schedule was only for this month of course. Oliver had their first practice down for next Saturday morning, followed by Wednesday evenings and the next two Sunday morns. That all worked great for Harry save the first Saturday, but if his friends really needed to they could meet after lunch.

Deciding it could well be futile to seek his friends in a large castle, as he assumed they had certainly left the Greathall, Harry planted himself on the couch. He more like slouched on the couch truth be told. Leaning his head back he let the three or four individual conversations in the room wash over him as he closed his eyes and melted into the couch. Being tired from his late night adventure and having eaten more than he should have, Harry was more than willing to relax and succumb to his current lassitude.

Suddenly the soft soothing babble turned into loud boisterous and bothersome babble. Harry jerked forward from his sublime position to look about.

Hermione, sitting next to him, startled some from his sudden movement but quickly reached over and patted his shoulder saying, “Late to breakfast and sound asleep right after. You don’t seem to have got much sleep for having gone to bed so early.” She had real compassion in her features but there was certainly a coloring of humor and teasing as well.

“Er...what?” Harry asked intelligently as he wondered how she had got there without him noticing. Looking around Harry saw most of his friends were close by. Ron and Neville were playing a game of chess. Ginny along with Demelza and Colin were sat at the other end of the couch obviously in mid conversation. They were all looking at him with amused smiles because of his very apparent befuddlement.

“I asked if you had trouble sleeping last night, Harry” Hermione summarized.

“Yeah, spent most the night killing a monstrous beast.” Harry replied as he rubbed his face. He realized his friends had not just appeared in the blink of an eye and he had been asleep. In fact the sleep was still stuck between some of his synapses cause he was having a little trouble thinking.

“My mother says ‘Wrestling with lions’ when I have a night harried with dreams.” Hermione related with a bit of sentimentality.

Harry’s brain was catching up with his mouth some and was bloody glad Hermione had heard his statement as an adage. “More like a herd of hippogriffs.” Harry said to support the adage idea.

“Colony, Harry. A group of Hippogriffs form a colony.” Hermione corrected him. Smiling.

Harry said “Right.” And returned her smile. Mostly because he felt he had dodged the proverbial projectile on that one.

“We were just talking about going down for lunch. Hungry?” Hermione asked.

“Starved.” Harry said after a brief self assessment. Mentally it seemed he had just finished breakfast so it was a surprise when he realized how hungry he was. “Most’a been from wrestlin’ that colony o’ hippogriffs.” he added with a grin.

When Harry stood up he realized he still had his canvas book bag with him. He had donned it this morning so to have parchment,ink and quill up at the owlery. His cloak and broom were still in it as well, from his wee adventure last night. He didn’t want to take the time to put all of his things away and he certainly was not going to leave them laying on his bed. So in the bag and on his shoulder they would stay.

The troop trooped on down to the Great Hall and took their places at mid table as that had just become their routine. Ginny assured an open spot next to her by quietly, albeit pointedly, suggesting Colin should sit across from Demelza and her at table.

Hermione gave the youngest Weasley a knowing and somewhat patronizing smile when she watched Harry sit beside her. She really didn’t think Ron’s little sister had any chance at all of catching Harry’s attention in quite the manor she so obviously hoped. Boys matured so much later than girls, if as her mother said, they ever matured at all.

The meat the elves presented for lunch was little cutlets of a red meat. There were a few guesses at what it was but the prevailing lunch hunch was ostrich. The next most popular guess was zebra.

Harry powered down his lunch in a manner worthy of any Weasley. He assumed his increased appetite was caused by the physical and magical energies he expended the night before. His body was instinctually trying to replace depleted stores.

When he finished eating and started to interact with the group Harry could only smile at all the glances Ginny gave him. She was obviously anticipating their walk and maybe a little anxious to get to it. Harry blushed a little knowing what the reaction would be.

“So, Ginny, ready for our walk?” He asked. Everyone in the group stopped talking, if they had been, and looked at Harry.

Ron immediately spluttered, “What? What walk? Where? Why?” No one else said anything but there was surprise in all their faces.

Harry rolled his eyes at Ron’s reaction, even if anticipated. “She is a bit put out that I thought her unable to take being hexed yesterday. I told her I simply didn’t think I needed to practice those hexes but she wants proof.” Harry shrugged. “So we’re going to go out and I will hex a stone or two and that is it.”

“So you’ll be right back?” Ron asked maybe a little pacified.

“Well I am not stepping just out the castle doors and casting spells no. But yeah, we won’t be gone the day.” Harry stated.

“The day.” Ron exclaimed.

Harry laughed and stood up. When Ginny joined him he continued to chuckle as they walked away. Ginny didn’t chuckle though, she was red faced but Harry thought it had naught to do with embarrassment.

Before they could even get beyond the end of the Gryffindor table they were stopped by more Weasleys.

“What’s this then?” Fred asked as they were passing them on the way out.

Harry rolled his eyes again saying, “Yesterday I didn’t hex Ginny as much as she hexed me and she’s a bit indignant about it, thinking I am taking it easy on her. So I am taking her outside to prove I simply didn’t need to practice the hex.” He tried to state it all as succinctly as possible as this was the second time he had to explain.

“You hexed her again?” Fred asked a tad belligerently.

Ginny was silently fuming. She didn’t need this ‘stuff’ from her brothers. She wouldn’t be surprised if Percy came over next and asked what was what. She was sure she’d hex him proper if he did, Fred was a word away from a hex as it was.

George was unperturbed hearing about the hexing. He had noticed the youngsters hexing and dispelling in their little three man rounds last Thursday eve. He did however get a mischievous look and said, “That’s our Gin-Gin, she may not look like a lioness but...”

“...er, She can certainly roar.” Fred, caught out, lamely finished.

George laughed and said, “She does have pride, brother.” Shaking his head, laughing, George returned to his meal.

Harry, assuming the twins were done, hurriedly continued on out the Greathall with Ginny. Her face was astoundingly red and that may have contributed to escaping the hall without the fourth brother intervening.

After they had got some distance between themselves and the castle Harry slowed to a much more casual pace. Taking them off the well worn lane to Hogsmead, he turned them down the trail towards the Quidditch pitch. It was a bit of a walk but Harry thought the stream near the pitch would be perfect to cast some spells at and not anger the Giant Squid nor the Merfolk.

Glancing occasionally at Ginny to gauge the color of her complexion, he hesitated to speak. He decided to wait for her complexion to turn from the color of a ripe strawberry to more the pink of strawberry ice-cream.

It wasn’t until they had descended to the valley floor from the promontory the castle crested that Harry ventured a query. “So, is Hogwarts all you expected?”

Ginny did not immediately answer, she glanced askance at Harry a couple times first. “All my brothers have told me about school, something’s were hard to believe. Not seen any fairies dancing on roof tops yet. But yes, I really like it here.” She finally said and then added, “Though at breakfast I did miss sitting with Dad and Mum on a Sunday morning.”

There was an imperceptible pause in Harry’s step as the truth of Ginny’s last admission struck him. For Harry, Hogwarts was the happiest place on earth but that wasn’t so for his friends. All the Weasleys could quite readily prefer to be home at the Burrow then to be away. Hermione, who loved the Magical Academia of Hogwarts, still loved her parents and her home. Without doubt, Luna was missing her Father, they had relied on each other in their grief. Her being here was probably best for her social growth, but not what either would want. Neville, too, might choose to be back at home with his Gran, even though he was completely aware of how domineering she was.

Well, maybe not so much in Neville’s case.

Harry had known this intellectually, this was solely an emotional epiphany. “A cuppa tea at your table, your mum bustling with breakfast. Your dad in his spot reading the paper, ya that would be nice. Much better than sitting with a bunch o’ grumpy Gryffindors” Harry sympathized.

Ginny smiled at Harry’s description of a morning at the Burrow. She probably didn’t want sympathy but the understanding was pleasant and comradely.

They came upon the stream and the little stone bridge spanning it before much else was said.*

“Right, then.” Harry said leading them both to the center of the bridge’s arch. “The little knock-back spell first?” He asked. At Ginny’s nod Harry repeatedly cast “Everte Statum!” into the oncoming stream. It looked like someone was tossing invisible two or three stone boulders into the stream. Or maybe invisible cannon balls would be more descriptive as the splashes were noticeably directional.

After six equally successful casts of the spell Harry turned to her with a questioning look. At her obvious acquiescence Harry stated, “The bigger one then.” Pointing his wand further upstream he cast “Impedimenta!”.

When the spell fire from Harry’s spell hit the stream the vast majority of water was pushed back onto itself eight or nine feet. For a moment there was a dry spot in the stream, and it oddly looked like it was flowing as the water on either side continued its merry way towards the lake. Some of the down stream water flowed backwards to fill the gap, as gravity doesn’t care about up hill or down as long as the water surface is equidistant to the earths core. Still, there was a sizable wave in the stream as it passed under their bridge.

Both of Ginny’s eyebrows were raised. “Well thank you for not hitting me with that. Looked a bit more than what Hermione got off on Luna.” She said with a hint of a amusement.

“Well its a small stream,” Harry confided. “So it just looks really impressive.”

“You know,” Harry started as an explanation. “The dream I had wasn’t just an elf popping up at Private Dr. then skip to the row between your dad and Malfoy and then skip to the end of year. There was all the stuff in between too. So I watched myself learn these spells and though I didn’t wake up knowing them I do seem to have a leg over on ... err... I mean a leg up on you....” Harry bowed his head, shaking it and blushing a bit. “I seem to have a slight advantage learning them.” He finished.

Ginny’s cheeks pinked as well but her giggle ended any embarrassed tableaux before it ever galvanized. “Lucky my brothers aren’t here.” She muttered.

“Yeah, well,” Harry said still blushing, “we should probably start back.”

It was within the first hundred steps on their walk back that Harry noticed Ginny kept looking over at him. Rather like she had a subject she wished to broach and was unsure how.

“It was me, wasn’t it?” Ginny finally blurted out with her eyes fixed straight ahead.

“Pardon?” Harry politely asked as he had no idea what she meant.

“Draco’s daddy switched my used transfiguration text for the enchanted book you told us about.” Ginny tersely explained. She kept her eyes to the fore, fixed on some nebulous point.

Harry almost missed a step in his surprise at hearing that question. His eyes too, it would seem, found the same nebulous point afore them as he considered his answer. The actual truth, to her, was that an old todger tried to use her in a scheme that had been foiled. She didn’t know about any averted consequences and probably wanted only to confirm what the old bug buggerer tried to do to her.

“No, that transfig text is still in my trunk in no worse shape than last you saw it.” Harry told her pausing briefly before adding, “But that towheaded tosser did slip a malignant memoir in-between its pages before he put it back in your cauldron.”

“I pierced the thing through and through with a silver blade and broke the enchantment on it. It is only rubbish now but I still have it in my trunk too.” Harry confided. “You maybe don’t need to tell Ron or Hermione about it, right? It is not a big secret but they would ask questions that I don’t want to answer just yet.” He entreated.

They continued on awhile in silence. Harry did not have much else to add on that subject. He did however think Ginny had more to ask from the way she acted.

“Is that why?” She asked faintly.

“Pardon, Gin, but why what?” Harry, confused by her current demeanor and bewildering query, resorted to formal politeness again.

“Why you have treated me like a friend.” Ginny said a little morosely. “ Was it just so you could get it from me.”

This time Harry did stop in his surprise at hearing her question. Ginny stopped too, and again she didn’t quite completely turn to Harry to await an answer. He had to assume by the actions and reactions of his friends that though they intellectually understood Harry’s prescient vision, they held firmly to their personal experience of reality to make judgments or form opinions.

“Ginny,” Harry said her name in hopes of drawing her eyes to him so she would see his smile and know there was nothing to be anxious about as he explained. “Like I said, the dream I had wasn’t just a scene here and there and me learning spells. I watched us become friends. It is maybe really weird for you to think I am instantly your friend but it is a little weird for me that you’re not. And I would never pretend to like someone just to get something from them so I could pierce it and destroy it.

“Besides,” Harry continued, “I am sure if I had first explained how I knew about it and simply asked you for it, you would have given it me. My fear was you would want to watch it be destroyed and that would have raised questions I am still not ready to answer.” Harry told her. “However I had figured if you had caught me nicking it to ask you to join me while I destroyed it. Just so you knew I wasn’t a thief without reason.”

When Harry finished his explanation Ginny’s face lightened up immensely, though she kept a bit of pink in her cheeks she did smile some. She also didn’t quiet meet Harry’s eye, rather she kept her own looking at his chin or maybe his shirt collar. Harry couldn’t tell.

“Now if I have cleared up all your worries we should get back. Otherwise your brothers will be thinking that I am taking advantage of you out here. And honestly I don’t want to have four Weasleys after my blood without cause.” Harry said hoping Ginny would find the humor in it, as he started walking again back towards the castle.

The walk back was quiet as Harry was uncertain of what to say and Ginny, albeit reassured, did not seem willing to say anything. Once back in the castle the pair, finding the Greathall empty of their friends, traipsed up to their common room and rejoined the rest of Gryffindor.

Back amongst their friends and Ginny’s family there was a modicum amount of ribbing. The twins may have stepped over the line their mum had put before them in regards to teasing Ginny, but they kept it in mind and didn’t become merciless. Ron simply sat with a look on his face that expressed his confusion and disgruntlement that Harry would spend time with a girl, let alone his sister. Percy however actually took Harry aside to explain that “Ginny was to young for romantic trysts”.

Harry cheekily responded, “Of course, we are both to young. That is way we won’t announce our engagement until August 12th next summer.” Which caused the prim and proper Percy to spit and sputter until even he realized how absurd Harry’s and maybe his own comment had been.

The rest of the afternoon slipped by almost unnoticed. A game or two of chess. A cat nap in the loud common room. Some friendly although socially unredeeming conversation. All leading to the Sunday dinner.

With a comfortably full stomach the lethargy that Harry had staved off all day returned to him about the same time he returned to the common room. He fought it a while as he sat with his friends but he soon gave it up and said his good nights to all. Yawning as he ascended the stairs he was certain the copious amounts he had eaten at every meal today and a good nights sleep would set him to rights.




Harry woke with the sun feeling as fresh as he normally did. Spending a tad more time in the loo then his usual wont he was ready for the day well before half six. Not wanting to wait an hour on his lay abed friends Harry went down to the unused classroom on the fifth floor to practice some spells. No spells of any import just making sure his “Expelliarmus!” was up to snuff for Tuesday eve.

Near the eight o’clock hour Harry ventured down to the Greathall. Almost everyone was already at table excepting the twins. When asked where he had been Harry simply told the truth.

Potions was the first class. For all of the first term every Monday Harry and all the second year Gryffindors would have the pleasure of Snape and the second year Slytherins every bloody Monday morn. Under the neglectful eye of their Professor they brewed a Hair growth poultice potion. Harry had no knowledge about the brewing of it but its formula was similar to the hair removal poultice potion he was familiar with so it came out well.

In Herbology Professor Sprout spent the beginning of class explaining how best to prune bushes. The second half of class they pruned Sneezewort bushes and collected their cuttings.

Lunch was Venison Parmesan which was different to say the least. Harry could only smile when Ginny sat beside him as usual. He had feared that the talk Sunday may have changed things.

Gryffindor second years had a free period after lunch which each of them spent in ways they felt most beneficial to their academic advancement. Hermione spent it in the Library. Seamus and Dean played Exploding Snap. Lavender and Pavarti did each others hair. Ron and Neville played chess. Harry had played a single game of chess with Ron to begin with but after being humiliated used the remainder of the time to finish reading his Oclumancy book.

Charms was the last class of the day and Flitwick still had them studying the theory of the Feather Weight charm rather then actually casting it.

Between charms and dinner the young people divested themselves as they were want to. Some studied but the majority of them were goofing about.

Shortly after sitting to table and serving himself some roasted antelope, something got Harry’s attention. Be it an ever so slightly heard exclamation by some in the hall. Or perhaps the sudden silence of others, whatever it was Harry glance about and soon saw that Hedwig had flown in an open clerestory and was flying directly for him.

Harry could readily see that Hedwig had no intention of landing amidst the sides and entrées on the table. When she was close she started back winging and Harry realized her intent. Leaning to his left and raising his right arm he gave her a place to alight. Hedwig back-winged enough that she virtually stalled directly above Harry’s arm and just lightly dropped the half foot to land. She immediately sidled along his arm to his shoulder and gave him a wee nip on his ear.

Neither Harry nor Ginny, who was sitting to his right, were even so much as brushed with a wing tip, though their hair did get a little mussed.

Hedwig was the only Snowy Owl at Hogwarts. She was recognized by all, admired by most, envied by some and by a few despised. Which was why Harry had often told her to except no treats from any student wearing green and silver.

Hedwig had flown in and landed with such precision that it looked like Harry had trained her to do that. The Greathall was in general, silent save for the few “Ohs”, and a couple of “Ahs”. There were also two first years who independently had started to clap before realizing they were the only ones.

“Bit of a show off tonight, ay?” Harry addressed her, turning his head as much as he could to get an eye on her.

Hedwig gave a soft hoot and extended her leg to present the post that was tied to it. Harry had a go at attaining the post but only being able to get one hand on it soon gave up and asked Ginny to untie it for him. As soon as the letter was off her leg Hedwig took flight and left the Greathall the same way she had arrived. Her departure was less graceful then her landing. Harry, nor Ginny for that fact, were left unperturbed, they both got a couple of wing beats to the head or face. Harry even ended up with a small feather atop his roast.

Harry recognized the Gringott’s seal as he opened the letter, so he knew it was most likely Goldtooth’s reply.

To: Harry J. Potter
From: Senior Account Manager Goldtooth
Re: Rather Large Basilisk

Mr. Potter, your ability for understatement is immense. Upon enlarging your Elf Bag and looking
inside I immediately contacted Chief Bank Manager Grimgitt. The quantity of some of the more
rare and sought substances, venom and bone meal, harvested from such a large carcass could
destabilize the Apothecary market if not handled properly. Chief Bank Manager Grimgitt agrees
with my assessment and wished to offer a solution. The estimated value of the carcass ranges
between .8 to 1.2 million galleons. The Bank will buy twenty-five percent of the carcass for
200,000 galleons and become responsible for the sundering, harvesting and rendering of the
carcass. Also the bank will be responsible for storage, sale and distribution. The sale of the rarer
ingredients will be restricted so as to disrupt current market values as little as possible, being
released slowly to the open market, world wide, over the next year. As your Personal Account
Manager I strongly advise you to accept this offer. Your potential profits are decreased only
slightly while your involvement in the process becomes zero. If you will inform me of your
decision I will act on it immediately.

May Your Profit be Prodigious
Senior Account Manager Goldtooth

Harry’s smile, as he folded the parchment and put it away, alerted his friends to his having received good news.

“You win the Minister for the Day contest?” Ron asked, amazingly beating Hermione to posing a query.

“Yeah, bit of good news from Gringott’s.” Harry stated simply. He sincerely hoped his vague response would afford his friends an inking to not question him farther.

Harry ate rather hurriedly, not particularly on purpose, simply anxious to get a reply written and sent off.

When Harry finished his dinner he felt slightly obliged to wait for his friends to finish their own meals. He did, however, chide them a bit to hurry their slow arses along.

When he and his friends returned to the common room Harry raced up the stairs and quickly wrote a reply to Goldtooth. He made it short and concise.

To: Senior Account Manager Goldtooth
From: Harry J. Potter
Re: Note of Acceptance

Senior Account Manager Goldtooth, on your good recommendation I am pleased to accept Chief
Bank Manager Grimgitt’s offer. Please deposit the initial 200,000 galleons into my vault, as well
as any future earnings from the sale. Also, please finalize the purchase of Malfoy’s elf with these
new funds as expeditiously as possible. Please notify me as soon as the transaction is complete.
Mr. Lupin will be able to set the elf on some property maintenance, for now at least, I hope.

Thank You
May You Procure Profit Painlessly
Harry J. Potter

Harry did not run to the owlery, but his pace was brisk. He tied the letter to one the school owls, as Hedwig had only just returned, and sent it on its way.

On his return to the Gryffindor tower Harry sat with his friends about the fireplace for some time. He had to ignore a few questioning looks and before long left for his dorm, excusing himself saying he had a paper to finish.

Upstairs Harry propped his pillows against his head board and got out his parchment and the very muggle calligraphy pen. He had bought the pen in Diagon Alley, it had been sold as an art supply and had an Everlasting internal ink cartridge. Sometimes a quill and ink bottle were not just archaic but bloody idiotic. Writing while sitting up in bed with a quill and open ink well would certainly qualify as the more idiotic of the conditions to use the archaic implements.

Harry considered how to compose his intended letter. It would need to persuade the recipients without any real evidence presented. Mostly because Harry had no real evidence, though he hoped to avoid inferring that. He would state facts without any emotional cries for justice. The logical supposition of bribes and the officials that willing received them.

Harry wanted to have this letter ready to post when he got confirmation from Goldtooth that Dobby was free of Malfoy. Once that was accomplished Harry had no need of Malfoy other than a target of revenge for endangering students. If proper authority could not bring justice to bare on the miscreant then Harry would not be unwilling to mete out justice himself. Not capital punishment of course, though the attempted mass murder of minors certainly made him deserving. However multiple Obliviations on the buggering blighter would not be remiss. He could occupy the bed in St. Mungos’ long term care ward that Lockhart, unfortunately, would now probably fail to fill.

When Harry considered the form letter sufficiently done he still had not written the name or names or the recipient. He had not completely decided who in the ministry he would send it to. Five trust worthy ministry officials are hard to come by. Harry thought he knew who he would address the various copies to but he would never take up a lantern and seek out a sixth honest official.

He also had not signed it. It needed to be sent anonymously but signing it “Mr. Anonymous” seemed lacking somehow. “Joe Bloggs” was marginally better, as only muggle born would know it as an “everyman” pseudonym. But instead of being an everyman he would as soon be a nobody.

He also wrote a letter to Remus. He did not mention anything about the Basilisk, elf nor newly gotten gains. Harry inquired of Remus how things were for him and told how school was for himself. He, however, did ask how the search for the Smith heir was going.

Harry had put away his things and climbed in bed and found blissful slumber before his dormies meandered in. The old axiom “Early to bed, early to rise” was as true when said backwards. Early to rise, early to bed, but Harry didn’t think it would catch on as a new folk saying.




The next morning Harry was up, showered, dressed and in the common room well before any of his dormies were starting to stir. Which was as normal, it would seem. He sat to one of the work tables and wrote the last inch or so of his twelve inch essay on the Feather Weight charm theory Flitwick expected today.

Still with time at hand before he planed to get to the Greathall at eight, Harry swung into the unused class room on the fifth floor. His class room. He transfigured a desk into a mattress and dispelled it back to a desk repeatedly so he was sure he understood the spell. The wand motion was an exaggerated bob, and Harry found it worked the best if he started the wand motion as he began to incant “Lectus!” and ended the motion with the termination of the incantment . He also found if he slowed the whole spell casting down and increased the wand motion the mattresses were noticeably bouncier. He hoped he wouldn’t need to cast this spell, just coach the three fourth years before the group met this eve.

When Harry did enter the Greathall a tad or two before eight he found that not all his friends had made it down as yet. Hermione and Ginny were waiting for Ron most like. As he walked to his regular spot he noticed Luna at the Ravenclaw table and gave her a wave. She returned the gesture as did her two room mates who were sat with her.

Before he dished any food for himself Harry caught the twins attention, they being sat a few places up table. “Maybe before dinner you two could help me with my extracurricular transfiguration assignment?” Harry asked them.

Both twins and Lee had brief looks of bemusement on their faces until, one by one, it was replaced as comprehension dawned. Almost in sequence they nodded their understanding.

Harry started loading his plate with his usual choice of starch, protein and grease when Neville asked from just down the table a place or two, “Cushions?”

Harry glanced up and gave him a nod in confirmation. Looking over Neville’s shoulder he saw his three missing friends entering the Greathall. They paused for only a heart beat as they scanned the mid point of the table, where they had routinely sat so far this year, for Harry. When they saw him he got one wave and two smiles as they started in his direction. Ginny however parted from the other two as she veered off to come around the table to Harry’s side.

After every one was seated and the typical morning greetings exchanged Harry set to on his breakfast. While he ate he watched and listened to Ron and Hermione animatedly discuss Lockhart’s failings. Well, Ron discussed his failings, Hermione attempted to discount his criticisms. But after four Defense classes with the man even Hermione was having trouble continuing to sing his praises.

After Harry was finished with his plate he glanced over at Ginny and asked, “What is your first class?” He noticed she had some toast still on her plate but her eggs were finished so he reached out and pulled the blackberry spread closer to her.

Ginny swallowed the bite o’ breaky she had in her mouth before she answered. Having heard Ron being admonished her whole life, her manners were impeccable. “Charms. Really hoping we get to actually cast “Wingardium Leviosa!” this morning. He’s only had us studying the theory so far.” She reached for the berry spread and had some on her toast before realizing she was in a conversation with Harry and her cheeks pinked.

“Yeah, we’ve got twelve inches due this afternoon on the theory for the Feather Weight Charm. I would think we would be casting it today too as I am not sure there is much more we could research on the theory. Or so I hope.” Harry said.

Ron, without a great deal of food in his mouth, sputtered, “That’s due today? Blimey I’m only half done!”

Neville also looked a little ill at ease at the reminder.

Hermione offered, with an odd mix of condemnation and compassion, “You can finish it at lunch Ron.”

“There isn’t enough time at lunch to write six inches and eat Hermione.” Ron protested looking at Harry to agree with him.

Harry silently mouthed, “History of Magic.” Ron relaxed considerable after he figured out what Harry meant, Neville too as he must’ve read Harry’s lips as well.

Hermione wasn’t blind so she knew what Harry had mouthed. She didn’t say anything though. The boys had been known to sleep in that class, so doing school work, any school work, was an improvement.

The Greathall was emptying quickly as class time hurriedly approached. Harry wished Ginny luck with charms as they parted.

Defense was mind numbingly boring as Lockhart shared his hair care tips and a teeth brightening spell which Harry was not going to test out on his own teeth. Malfoy’s maybe.

In Herbology Professor Sprout gave a lecture on Snuffellump stumps. Everyone found it a mite boring save Neville.

The adventurous Gryffindors managed to land very close to the same spots at table for lunch as they had sat for breakfast. Doesn’t matter be you brave, smart, loyal or cunning, it is natural to find comfort in the familiar.

The entree was white fish steaks. Some people claimed it was marlin, others sword fish. Harry assumed shark just because he had heard it tasted the same but was half the price. That was what his uncle groused about when he bought any white fish anyway.

Before Harry got more than three bites of his lemon drenched fish steak a bloody great horned owl crashed onto the table afore him. A small dish of tartar sauce would have smacked Dean if he had not ducked in time. Harry apologized to everyone as he retrieved the post and offered the owl some of his fish. The bird managed to communicate across language and species barriers to express his disdain for citrus soaked fish before he flew off.

Harry opened the letter and read it. It was quiet brief really.

To: Harry J. Potter
From: Senior Account Manager Goldtooth
Re: Acquisition of over priced elf

Mr. Potter, the elf you wished purchased is now yours. He is highly excitable. As I write this the
elf is in my office as we await Mr. Lupin’s arrival, and I do hope he is not late. I am unable to
fathom why you would pay more than double for this elf, but I have been bewildered by the ways
of wizards before.

May Our Perspective not Prevent our Profit
Senior Account Manager Goldtooth

Once again Harry’s friends were all looking at him both curiously and expectantly. The closest three were the only ones Harry felt had any reason or right to assume he would tell them. The others could all bugger off. Guilt boiled up in Harry because he had kept them out of his plans. But really, what would they have said, “Sure, Harry, why don’t we just wait here while you go kill the Giant Basilisk”?

Truly, if Harry could have thought of a way to include them in the whole Bantam vs. Basilisk, he would have. The pride of the Weasleys won’t allow them to take charity, or what they consider such, and even Ron would have realized he had nothing significant to contribute to that venture. If he didn’t Ginny certainly would have.

No, if Harry wanted to share any of his big game gains he would need to think of a way they could really earn it. Or win it. Or maybe find it.

Harry shrugged off all the other inquirous looks and offered Hermione an obvious cover story, “Gringott’s is having a promotion. For every ten galleons invested in bank bonds they will add a Sickle.” Harry folded the letter from Goldtooth and put it in his pocket. “What is that? Maybe half a percent. I’ll just go send him a note to let him know my total lack of interest.” Harry added with a smile that told the real tale. His three friends seeing a smile like that would surely know the letter had been good news.

Harry budged over on the bench to get up and head to the owlery. He may have budged a little more then he truly needed and he may not have had to actually press his back into Ginny to get his leg from under table. But, maybe he did.

“Mr. Potter!” His Head of House called as she closed in and intercepted him at the doors to the Greathall. “Is there a problem? That was the second post owl you received outside the normal and standard morning post.” She asked in rather austere concern.

“No Ma’am. Just my Gringott’s account goblin sending along some information he thought I should have.” Harry said. He was hoping he would not need to outright lie to her.

“And this information was of enough import that it could not await the acceptable morning post?” Professor McGonagall pointedly asked.

While McGonagall had been speaking Dumbledore had walked up and was stood behind her. Harry was feeling just a bit put on the spot. It was the goblin that had circumvented the normal, standard and acceptable owl post delivery time not himself, but he was being asked the why for. He placed what he hoped were mental shields round his thoughts, just in case, and preceded to practice some mental reservations if not plain and simple fabrications.

“Well, Professor, I don’t understand much about money...er, economics I guess. Something about the Sterling being inflated. Or was that deflated?” Harry shrugged and added. “No clue really, but I was off to the owlery anyway, so I will just send off more then one post.”

“Carry on Mr. Potter.” McGonagall said, waving him out the hall door.

Harry gave both professors a courteous farewell and hurried on towards the owlery.

When Harry arrived at the owlery he sat in what seemed to be his preferred pre-posting position on the stairs. He pulled the anonymous form letter out of his book bag, along with some ink and a quill. He wrote all five names of those he would send it to, so they would know who else had this information. He then signed it with a pseudonym and went over it one last time with a critical eye. Well, as critical as any one can be of their own work.

Attn: Bones, Diggery, Scrimgeour, Shacklebolt, Weasley
From: A Knowledgeable Citizen
Re: Continued Misjustice

As the public reads about Injustice in the Prophet, I write to you about the Misjustice. I present
nine names of Dark Practitioners who absolutely warrant punishment but have manage to escape
notice, escape trial or escape prison. Each and everyone of these people were willing participants
in the Death Eater Atrocities and were never forced, by use of the Imperious Curse, to torture,
rape or kill.
M. Avery: Marked Death Eater, Avoided trial if not investigation, Currently holds a position with
the ministry
Alecto Carrow: Marked Death Eater, Avoided investigation, whereabouts unknown
Amycus Carrow: Marked Death Eater, Avoided investigation, whereabouts unknown
H. Crabbe: Marked Death Eater, Claimed to have been Imperioused at trial
B. Crouch Jr.: Marked Death Eater, Convicted and imprisoned, His escape perpetrated by his
parents, Currently held as a prisoner in his fathers home
S. Goyle: Marked Death Eater, Claimed to have been Imperioused at trial
I. Nott: Marked Death Eater, Claimed to have been Imperioused at trial
A. MacNair: Marked Death Eater, Avoided trial if not investigation, Currently holds a position
with the ministry
L. Malfoy: Marked Death Eater, Claimed to have been Imperioused at trial, Was one of
Voldemort’s inner circle, Has a small dungeon accessed through the floor of his sitting room
where he hangs his Death Eater regalia in a place of Honor, He also has enough Dark Objects
down there to earn him years in Azkaban.
Afraid that only in the cases of Crouch and Malfoy can I inform you of verifiable evidence, the
others will need be investigated. I am sure like Malfoy they have evidence in their homes. Or like
Malfoy, they have bribed a Ministry official. I leave it in your hands, but if you fail to convict any
of these ‘Known Criminals’ I will Obliviate them with a vengeance. I would only regret they
would qualify to be in the same St. Mungo’s ward as the Longbottoms.

Help me to Never be a Phantom Vigilante
Walter Plinge

Harry wasn’t completely happy with the layout and presentation, but he wasn’t getting graded on it and it got the job done. He cast the “Geminio!” charm five times on the original. Harry wasn’t sure if they could trace him from the original. He however knew that a copy, created by magic, could only be traced by the magic inherent in it, and who would think to compare it to twelve year old Harry.

After vanishing the original Harry addressed each of the five copies to one of the recipients and entering the owlery sent them off with five school owls. He also sent the letter off to Remus, though for that post he used Hedwig , of course.

As Harry made his way down the owlery steps the Castles Great Clock chimed the third quarter of the hour in the light ringing tone. The History of Magic classroom was on the fourth floor on the other side of the castle. Harry had to all but run to get there on time. It was most fortunate that no instructors saw him barreling through the halls.

Harry managed to get to class and sat down beside Hermione just as the Great Clock rang the hour with its much deeper tone. Both Hermione and Ron had rather inquisitive looks but Harry ’s mumbled ‘Later’ was enough to restrain them from questioning him. Harry did his very best not to fall asleep while the Ghostly Professor droned on about dates and weird names. Only Hermione’s sporadically whispered tirades to Ron about doing charms homework in History kept him from drifting off.

Hermione was quiet as they all walked to charms. She seemed put off that both Ron and Neville had finished their charms essay while supposedly taking notes for History. Harry was sure it would be a very chilly day down in the Eight Circle before they would be reading her notes.

Professor Flitwick had spring scales and stones set out for everyone. After the Professor collected the essays he explained that each stone weighed a ‘stone’ and the class would practice the casting of the Feather Weight charm on them. They were to use the scales to check and measure their own proficiency. After over an hour of casting, dispelling and recasting most of the class got the weight down to nine pounds. Only Harry and Hermione managed to lessen the 14 pound stone to nearly half.

At the end of charms the four second year Gryffindors headed to their common room. Three of them wanted to put away their books and things and relax. Hermione took up her station at the work table and did her Herbology assignment first.

Harry goofed with Ron and Neville for a quarter hour or so before he joined Hermione at table and worked on Sprouts assignment as well. Hermione gave him a strained smile while tossing some extremely pointed visual daggers Ron’s way.

Well before dinner Harry caught Lee and the twins and dragged them to the empty classroom on the fifth floor. He explained the transfiguration spell to them, the motion and incantment. The three were very interested in learning this spell, to say the least, as a teenage boy’s mind is ever hopeful. After they managed to cast the spell successfully on a regular basses Harry suggested they try modifying the spell some by slowing it down to get slightly different results. By the time they headed down for dinner the fourth years were producing some very fluffy mattresses.

At the Gryffindor table Harry had Ginny to his one side and oddly enough Hermione on his other. Through out most of dinner she maintained a glacial quiet, though some of the looks she gave Ron and Neville let them both know she was rather steamed.

The meat for the evening seemed to be lamb but Harry didn’t look real hard after he tasted the stew. There may well have been elephant steaks plated further along but the rich lamb stew and fresh bread was all Harry needed.

Harry was just pushing his second pudding about his plate when the three fourth years, the twins were Weasleys after all, finally decided they had enough to eat. After the mismatched triplets left Harry rounded up the five others and they left for their class room.

Harry made sure the fourth years could cast the “Protego!” charm more often then not, then had them stand in front of the transfigured mattresses. He ‘suggested’ that the first and second years start by casting “Flipendo!” at the three until they were more proficient with their shield charms. Most abided by his suggestion, save Ron and Ginny. They started right off casting “Impedimenta!” at their brothers. Fortunately for the twins neither of their sibling’s “Impedimenta!” spells were overly powerful.

By the time a good deal more than an hour had elapsed, all of the six were casting “Impedimenta!” and it seldom contacted its target. When a shield failed and someone did get knocked back on their arse everyone laughed, including the victim. Often they laughed the hardest, particularly if it was Fred or George.

When they called the practice done every one dispelled the mattresses back into desks and headed out. The younger Gryffindor group walked back to their common room by way of the Ravenclaw tower entrance. Once they were in their own common room Hermione, along with Ron and Ginny, tried to buttonhole Harry about the letter at lunch.

In the darkest corner of the almost round common room, the favored corner of couples, Hermione simply asked, “Well?” Days of unrequited curiosity had her wound quiet tight, she may well have been ready to attempt to beat the answers out of Harry if need be.

Harry pulled his wand and cast “Mufliato!” as a precaution before he said anything. However, when he noted Hermione’s interest in the spell he quickly explained it. “The four syllables of the incantment and the four cardinal points of the compass. You don’t need to be precise with the cardinal points either, nor is there any real sequence. I personally go north, south, east and west.” Harry did the wand motion again, his wand in a vertical position and the tip moving in the general direction of the cardinal points. He didn’t incant the spell though as it was already in place.

“Thank you.” Hermione said, with a slight smile. “Now, about those letters from Gringott’s?” She added brusquely.

“Well, this all kind of started when I got that first letter last week, the one saying the Git wanted to much for his elf?” Harry paused as he looked to each of them for confirmation they knew what letter and Git he was speaking of. After a nod from each he continued, “Goldtotth, my goblin accountant, said I couldn’t afford what the Git wanted. But back when I was in his office this summer he mentioned a former client that commercially farmed Basilisk.

“As you know over the summer, before my birthday, I became aware of a few things.” Harry, even with the privacy spell up didn’t want to say certain words and paused again to make sure none were confused. When all he saw in his friends faces was expectant curiosity he carried on. “I knew that under the castle is a secret chamber and in it was a live basilisk.”

Harry had to stop there and raise his hands to forestall any remarks from his friends. “If I may?” He asked.

When his friends stopped looking like they were almost choking on unasked questions Harry continued with his tale. “The reason I knew it was there is because I had already dealt with it, you understand?” Harry looked at each of them in turn. “Basilisks are on the extreme end of the dark and evil creature list, They are, however, very easy to kill if you are well prepared.

“They are hatched from a serpents egg by a brooding Rooster. In nature cocks are not broody. So. I think, when a basilisk hears a cocks crow the natural order of things gets reinforced and the basilisk drops dead.” Harry shrugged. “Regardless, a cocks crow kills ’em.” He tried to add a snap of his fingers at that point but it was a bit more like a snauph of his fingers which caused Ron to chuckle.

“Blindfolded and with a Super Sensory Spell cast on myself I went down into the bowls of the castle with my Legion of Leghorns.” Harry smiled as he got a little flowery with his story. His three friends however didn’t smile. Harry dropped the colorful narration and returned to just telling them the tale. “The roosters won of course and I stuffed the carcass in a charmed sack and sent it to my accountant.

“The first letter Monday evening was an offer from the bank to buy the carcass for a little more than I needed to pay the Git.” Harry avoided saying Malfoy or Dobby even though he knew it couldn’t prevent him from freeing the elf now. But he didn’t need it to be common knowledge he had bought a house elf.

Harry told them, “I immediately replied ‘yes’ last night. And the next letter, at lunch today, was Goldtooth confirming he had “Acquired the House Elf”.

“As soon as I got the confirmation at lunch I sent an anonymous post to the ministry. With my dealings with the Git finished I thought I would inform them of the secret room that he has his dark objects hidden in.” Harry smiled wickedly. “I am really hoping he ends up in Azkaban!” He finished excitedly.

“Gringott’s only paid you enough to buy an elf? Just how small was this thing?” Ron blustered. “I assume it will be sold to an apothecary as ingredients? Neville tells me some flowers sell for thousands of galleons so you’d think a basilisk’d be worth a fortune!”

“The Bank paid me a small fortune, Ron. Its just that the Git wanted an only slightly smaller fortune for ...” Harry glanced out around the room before looking back at Ron. “The Elf.” he said quietly. His sense of precaution even with the privacy spell covering them caused his friends to adopt similar attitudes.

“At some point over the weekend you thought ‘I will go Basilisk hunting’? And where did you get the roosters? How many roosters did you have and what is this Super Sensory Spell?” Hermione whispered, rather like a tea kettle whispers just before it starts to scream.

“Close your eyes.” Harry told Hermione as he pulled his wand out again. She may have hesitated a little but it was only a little. Harry performed the circular wand motion of the spell just as if he were casting it on himself but ended the motion and “Referrus!” incantment with his wand pointed at Hermione.

When the white flash of spellfire hit her Hermione let a moan of discomfort escape. When she opened her eyes briefly she moaned louder before she closed them tight shut again. She wobbled a bit, like she had been spinning on an old rope swing for a while.

Harry dispelled her right off. When she opened her eyes again Harry smiled at her and said, “It is a little weird until you get used to it, but once you are the old death gaze has nothing on ya.”

“And the roosters?” Ginny asked because Hermione looked to still be suffering from a minor sensory input ailment.

Harry turned to her and gave her a big smile for joining in the ‘foolish adventurer’ bearding. She blushed at that and Harry was afraid she would not be able to talk again until she fought the blush down and got it under control. “I found a Sympathetic Transfiguration spell that turns chicken bones into chickens or roosters. When I got to the basilisk I had at least a thousand roosters down there with me. Maybe more like fifteen hundred.” He told her.

“Bones?” Hermione kind of groaned.

“When we are done here, you have a sit down and you will feel better in no time at all.” Harry offered her being familiar with the disorientation of the first time with that spell. “Anyway it was the house elfs that gave me the chicken bones. Do you remember the day we had chicken left, right and center. Well they gave me about three thousand chicken bones that night.” He concluded.

Ginny’s eyebrows rose a mite, no doubt remembering Harry sneaking chicken bones off the table last week.

“Any other questions before I drop the privacy charm?” Harry asked.

When Ron did not ask for any particulars about the actual price of live elves or dead basilisks Harry was very relieved. He had hoped, if it came up, to try and make every one think that the two hundred thousand galleons was the whole profit of the serpent king. And conversely he didn’t really want to admit that he paid one hundred and twenty thousand galleons for Dobby. However, Harry was a little fearful Ron and Ginny might get a puff of hot air up their fannies if they knew he still came away with eighty thousand galleons.

With no one asking further details Harry dispelled the privacy spell and guided Hermione over to the couch so she could sit down.

Hermione felt better within five minutes or so. After which, for the friends, the Gryffindor common room was rather routine. While Ron and Neville played a game of chess, Ginny and Hermione watched on as they discussed the correct way of pronouncing “Wingardium Leviosa!”. Harry was soon to make his excuses and head upstairs to bed.




The next morning Harry was up shortly after the sun. As he got himself about for the day he reflected on how pleased he was with how everything went with his friends the previous night. He had been dreading that conversation since he decided to hunt the damned basilisk. Now that he had told them, his conscious felt some what better. Certainly there were other things that he felt guilty about not telling them but at least of the things mentioned last night they would never again become incensed about.

Of course, for this particular peccadillo, Harry had yet to hear Remus’ personal opinion. That was something to look forward to. Harry assumed Remus would wait until they were face to face rather then in a howler. But he was sure the Next time they saw each other Harry would get a fair bit of his bum chewed off.

With extra time in his morning, as his friends were all layabeds, Harry swung by the ‘Practice room’ on the fifth floor before breakfast. He worked on his non-verbal “Accio!” spell as he anticipated needing it Saturday. Or so he hoped, something’s had certainly changed but Harry had decided to prepare for Saturday as though it were written in stone.

Having achieved moderate success with his spell work, and being hungry, Harry went to breakfast and was sat to table well before any of his friends showed their faces. Of those that Harry knew well only Percy, Oliver and Angelina were already in the Greathall eating. Harry had the phrase ‘Early risers, over achievers and fanatics’ cross his mind.

When the others joined Harry they sat in what was quickly becoming their spots. Ron and Hermione sat across from Harry. Neville, who almost always sat with them, had no preference as to where he sat. Ginny sat beside Harry and, at breakfast, Demelza sat aside her.

After breakfast the Gryffindor second years trooped out to the green houses to join Hufflepuff for Herbology while the first years joined the Ravenclaws for Defense. Professor Sprout taught a hands on class about Snarling Antirrhinum. Lockhart lectured about callus exfoliating charms.

The next class teamed the second year Gryffindors with their Ravenclaw peers in transfiguration while the first year lions joined their Slytherin year mates for History. McGonagall explained, after Hermione asked, that Sympathetic Transfiguration was not on the cirriculum because once standard transfiguration was learnt the lesser sympathetic transfiguration was a given. While Binns bored the first years the same as he did the rest of the years.

Lee, along with the twins sat with the underclassmen for lunch so there were a few laughs.

There were a few more laughs after lunch when the second years, joined by Slytherin second years, sat through an hour of Lockhart lecturing on the importance of personal awareness and appearance. The first year Gryffindors rejoined their Ravenclaw peers for potions where they sat through over an hour of disdained indifference while they brewed a Spot Remover Potion.

Second year Slytherins and Gryffindors had to suffer History of Magic together as their last class, on Wednesdays of course. First year Gryffindors with their Hufflepuff contemporaries attended Transfiguration as their last class on Wednesdays. Binns droned on about the 1951 Grimshank Grimshillsson attempted goblinic insurrection. McGonagall held an impromptu discussion on the theory and use of switching spells.

In the common room the small group of friends sat to one of the work tables. Soon they were joined by many other Gryffindors. Seamus and Dean along with Lavender and Pavarti. A lot of Professors required all assignments handed in at weeks end, so Wednesday was rather a good time to get started on it. Or if you were smart, organized and self motivated, like Hermione, finish it.

Harry was in a good mood at dinner and for a lark, and after many failed attempts, managed to wandless and non-verbally cast the sticking charm on George’s right hand. He and his hand were the closest of the twins. When George realized he couldn’t let go his fork he looked about the table to catch someone with a wand out, no doubt. When none could be seen he narrowed his eyes in Harry’s direction. It probably seemed logical to George that Harry, magic and forks went hand in hand.

After dinner, back in the common room some enterprising students returned to their assignments while Harry, Ron, Neville and Dean had an Exploding Snap Tournament.

Harry rose near six o’clock and deftly managed his morning routine. He again stopped on the fifth floor to practice his non-verbal “Accio!” on his way down to the Greathall. Harry’s friends sat about him not long after he started to break his fast. He did get a surprise when between bites his plate and all the food on it turned blue. His fork may have paused briefly on its return to the scrambled blue eggs, Harry hoped the pause went unnoticed. He scooped up another forkful of the ‘don’t eat me blue’ colored eggs and stuffed them in his mouth.

As he chewed, noting the eggs tasted fine, he looked around the table. Just a couple places down table a smiling George gave Harry a salute with his wand and turned back to his own normal colored food. Harry chuckled while he ate his weird colored breakfast. Ron ‘Ew’d’ a bit, Hermione said nothing but the look she gave the blue food should have shamed it back to normal. Ginny helped herself to a piece of blue bacon from Harry’s plate and ‘Mmmm’d’ like it had been improved in flavor.

When the owl post arrived there seemed to be a few more owls then the norm, maybe an extra ten or so. Harry had an owl land on the table in front of him knocking some toast onto his plate, where it immediately turned blue. When he got the post from the owl he ask Ginny to give it some unblue bacon.

Harry broke the Gringott’s seal and read the letter from Goldtooth. After reading through once he went back and reread parts before he could comprehend everything Goldtooth was telling him.

Hermione cleared her throat which caused Ron to probably wonder if it was a universal sound all women were born knowing how to use.

Harry looked up and then back at the letter and with his eyes still roaming the post he started to relate the context of the letter. “My Account Manager says the Muggle economy took a beating yesterday. He says the value of the Imperial Sterling fluctuated through the morning and he and other goblin account managers created significant gains for their clients. Gringott’s management however banned further currency trading when it was apparent the muggles were proving unable to stop the downward trend. Late yesterday the Imperial Sterling was devalued and the Imperial muggle government was forced to withdraw from the European Financial Exchange Union they had only recently joined.”

“By Imperial Sterling I assume he means British Sterling and this European Financial Exchange Union would be the ‘ERM’ or Exchange Rate Mechanism.” Hermione posed. “My parents didn’t approve of Britain joining the ERM. I never had an opinion about it as I didn’t have enough information. Although controlling multiple economies and currency values by simply buying and selling those same currencies strikes me as unrealistic.”

With everyone looking at her Hermione just shrugged and concluded. “Stabilizing a nations currency through outside manipulation does not mean the economy of that nation is stable. A manipulated currency value would economically disunite and disenfranchise some part of that nations populace, most likely the lower income class.” Hermione explained and quickly added, “I think. I would need to study economics before I could say for certain.”

“Goldtooth explains here that the Wizarding World runs on a gold standard economy inside the various muggle economies loosely based on silver or gold standards. He says Galleons will hold their current value for at least the next few months and about the time the Imperial Sterling starts to bounce back, the Galleon value will probably dip in a belated reaction to “Black Wednesday” as he says it is being called.” Harry informed them of Goldtooth’s prognostication.

Harry had a vague memory of offhandedly overhearing his uncle bemoaning “Black Wednesday” in his vision. He really didn’t see that it had effected him overtly and as there really was nothing he could do about it he folded the letter from Goldtooth and stuck it in his pocket.

Their classes and lunch all went along rather similar as the day before, in fact many of the classes were the same, save potions. In the afternoon, before dinner, all of the work tables in the common room were quiet full as all assignments were due the next day.

Dinner was a selection of duck dishes. There was a French Frog and Duck soup, though as Harry so enjoyed soup he didn’t bother with it. There was Romanian Duck Casserole and a Chinese Duck in a sweet sauce that Harry really liked.

Harry, Hermione, the Weasleys, Lee and Luna made their way up to the fifth floor after dinner. When they were all inside ‘Their Room’ Harry stepped to the front of them and explained what he had in mind for them to practice.

“Expelliarmus!” Harry stated, “is a duel ending spell. A blasting hex or a stunner will end a duel as well but disarming the opponent should be on the top of your ‘to duel’ list. In a formal duel it would not be the best choice for your first spell, but maybe your second or third. In an informal confrontation if you get it off before your opponent casts a spell at you, well the confrontation is over. Though in that case you would need to assess your opponents ability to do physical harm and you may want to use a body bind or stunner.”

“Now you three went over this spell, last year?” Harry asked the three fourth years. At their nods Harry turned to the others and explained, “You will be able to cast this spell, rather like the third year “Impedimenta!” spell. If you are dueling a professor or an evil sixth year perfect, however, don’t expect this spell to have the same effect you’ll get on your fellow first to third years.

“There is no real wand motion, though some do add some minor wrist action or a clockwise swirl motion with the wand tip and claim it increases the spells potential. You can experiment with that stuff after we get the spell down.” He told them. “Of course aim is important as with almost all offensive spells. You point your wand and incant “Expelliarmus!”.

“Sounds easy right?” Harry baited them. “It is not, this spell is all about intent and purpose. When we practice in here you won’t feel a great ‘Need’ to disarm your brother or sister or me. But when you cast this spell, whenever you cast this spell, you really must intend to disarm your target. For practice try not to make it about disarming the target. Try to teach yourself that when casting this spell the ‘intent and purpose’ are in the casting and not about the ‘faceless’ target that will be disarmed.”

Harry walked towards the end of the room and stopped short of the far wall. Turning he pointed in both directions and called out, “Gin and Luna.” Taking seven or so paces back towards the group he stopped again and pointed in both directions and called out, “Ron and Hermione.” Another six paces and he pointed with only one hand and said, “Neville and me.”

As everybody got in their places Harry, in a carrying voice asked the fourth years, “If you three will go about and make sure we all have a grasp on getting the spell, please. After you could have go at breaking each others shields with “Expelliarmus!” as I am sure you only cast it four or five times last year.”

Lee and the twins nodded and left Harry and Neville to practice the spell. Before the two boys started casting at each other, or in Neville’s case trying to, Harry reiterated about the need to want and intend to disarm each other.

It was a long boring practice for Harry though he kept from letting any of them know that, in particular his sparing partner. Neville struggled with this spell as much as he had, three years later, in Harry’s vision. Expressing nothing but patience and calm optimism that Neville would conquer this spell he kept suggesting ways to think about combining intent with the spell. He even crossed the room and stood aside Neville as they cast at the wall. While they stood together Harry tried to explain what and how his ‘intent and purpose’ where tied to the spell. It was all rather abstract and often confused Harry let alone Neville. The young Mr. Longbottom however did shoot scarlet spellfire at the wall four times.

When Harry returned to his dueling position in front of him though, Neville was unable to repeat his success. Harry was certain it was a combination of confidence and a mismatched wand.

When they stopped Harry caught their attention and said, “Saturday morning is Quidditch practice for me, so we can get together after lunch and work on this a bit more. You three,” he looked at the fourth years, “should read up on “Risus Hilarus!” which is your kind of spell. Also read a bit on “Declino Alica!”. That charm is best if used non-verbally, other wise a simple “Protego!” is as efficient. The cheering charm though you will be casting at us while we work on our shield charms, right.”

The five younger students were interested in learning the shield charm and everybody could only guess how happy the three funny fourth years were to learn the hilarity hex.

“Harry,” Luna said before anyone could move towards the door. “Two of my dormitory mates wanted me to ask if they could join us.” Having said that Luna turned and started to walk away.

Harry laughed while some of the others looked puzzled. “You can tell them I said we are not currently looking to enlarge our study group, but if there is someone in your house you would like to invite please do.”

“Thank you Harry, I shall now be able to truthfully inform them of their misfortune.” Luna turned to say before she reached the door.

The young Gryffindors walked Luna back to her tower before adjourning to their own. In the common room silence ruled supreme as everybody worked on assignments due Friday. Harry had a few inches to finish for Transfiguration as well as some for Charms. Evidently so did the rest of his friends as they all got out books, parchment and quills. It was heading towards ten o’clock when Harry finished his school work and he had been fighting some very long blinks before then. He found the energy to put away his materials before he climbed the stairway to bed.

Harry got himself about as normal the next morning. He swung by ‘the room’ on his way down and practiced his non-verbal “Accio!” some more. When he was satisfied that he could perform it as needed tomorrow he left for breakfast. Owl Post Delivery came mid meal as always, though it did seem a tad inconveniently timed most often. The owl that brought Harry’s Daily Prophet dropped the rolled newspaper as it flew over, which unfortunately plopped in a tureen of porridge when Harry failed to catch it.

After “Scourgifying!” the table of all the splashed mush as well as the newspaper Harry opened it to read the Headline. He was pleasantly surprised to see Liz Puter had the front page still although Harry wondered that the wizarding Britain could ignore mundane muggle money matters. Liz’s article was hard to pigeonhole. It was neither an editorial nor simple article nor interview. It was a little of the three in one.

The journalistic piece told how the Wizengamot was finally going to discuss the Injustice perpetrated by the Ministry. She transcribed an interview with Wizengamot Marchog, Delwin Hawkwood. The editorial bit was the single word or phrase littered though out the article that so concisely related the authors opinion.

When his friends joined him to table Harry handed the paper to Hermione. After reading the lead story she leafed through the paper. When she had turned every page she folded it and set it beside her plate, shaking her head.

“Not a word about the problems of the majority of Britons populace. Amazing!” Hermione decried.

Harry leaned over the table somewhat and whispered, “If it isn’t biting a wizard’s bum it doesn’t matter.” That got a laugh from her though Ron and Ginny only smiled.

Harry’s day was some practical Feather Weight casting in charms followed by Switching Spell Theorem in Transfiguration. Lunch was enjoyable with Ginny relating how, while most of her charms class was starting to feel good about levitating their feathers, she and Luna were flying their feathers about the classroom occasionally diving them at Professor Flitwick. After eating it was potions were they brewed a Phrenic Padding Potion. Snape did say he thought Harry’s potion was a bit thick.

In the common room Harry started a rough draft of his Switching Spell assignment as he didn’t want to wait till the last minute again. About the time he had the essay fleshed out the rest of Gryffindor house had filtered in from the last class.

At some point, before dinner, when the four friends were together and seemingly unobserved Harry told them to get up early and come down to the pitch with the team in the morning. When Hermione asked why he responded with a simple, “It should be fun.” His impish smile bespoke of volumes more then a mornings entertainment watching their team practice.

“You should get Neville to come too.” Harry directed to Ron. “And Luna.” He said to Ginny. “Sunshine will cheer us all I promise.”

During dinner Ron had to cajole and nearly coerce Neville into joining them the next morning. And before they rose from table as a whole Ginny left to sit with Luna and invite her as well. When Luna waved to the Gryffindor table Harry returned it cuing the others who turned and waved as well.

Up in the common room the evening spun away much like other nights though with perhaps a little more energy as it was, after all, Friday night. And like most nights, save the exception of a couple of first years, Harry was the first to trundle off to bed.

The next morning Harry was up even earlier then his normal want. His anticipation prevented him from getting back to sleep when his eyes cracked a bit before dawn did. He got himself around and waited a good deal before rather noisily waking Ron along with the rest of the dorm.

Harry was just a little surprised when waiting in the common room it was his friends rather then team mates that were first down. When the team did come down, a bit before six, Wood eyed the group of underclassmen but didn’t seem perturbed at all about them. He did look a little put out when he noticed a blond Ravenclaw join them as they descended the moving stairs in the west wing.

When at the Grand Entry Colin Creevey fell in with the two first year girls and started prattling at Potter, Wood’s eyes narrowed and his brow lowered but he still said nothing. Once the team was in the changing rooms, sans an audience, Wood asked Harry why there was a bloody parade of midgets following him about.

“Its Saturday, the weather is nice and we all have been stuck in the castle the whole week. They are out for some sun and fresh air, watching us practice is just an excuse.” Harry told him.

“And that Ravenclaw?” the Quidditch Captain asked.

“She is a friend Oliver. My friend, Ginny’s friend, she has known the Weasleys for years. If it was an option I think she would trade in her Blue for Red. And Creevey, well he is Gryffindor even if he is a little excitable.” Harry told him, trying to belay any of Wood’s plan stealing paranoia before he could voice it.

“Right then,” Wood said dismissively, “I wanted a team meeting to go over some things I devised over the summer. We will spend twenty minutes at the start of each practice doing calisthenics and sprints to get our blood and brains working. I also have revised the play book. There are eight brand new plays to learn and practice as well as some changes to our old tried and true plays”

Pulling a rolling chalk board to the front of them Wood spent thirty minutes or so drawing X’s and O’s and great swooping lines about the board. Oliver may have thought he was presenting the team very understandable illustrations and readily comprehensible instruction but the truth was he wasn’t. Fred and George were pretending to be asleep or so Harry assumed. Katie was asleep, Harry was sure, because he didn’t think she would go so far as to drool to be convincing. Angelina and Alicia were holding a whispered conversation that Harry thought was either about boys or nail polish form what little he could hear.

“So!” Wood exclaimed enthusiastically, “Any questions?”

George looked up squinky eyed and asked, “Was this gona be Quidditch practice or a sunrise lecture on abstract art.”

“Listen you lot.” Oliver bellowed. “We should have won the cup last year but we didn’t, did we. We will win it this year or next year we will be doing sunrise practices every bloody damned day. Do you hear me?” When all he got was a lackluster response Oliver got louder. “We will learn these new plays. We will get good and we will kick the other three house teams arses all over the pitch. Right?” He effectively screamed the last word which got him a much more energetic “Right” from everyone.

“Now, lets get out there and run the pitch goal to goal before we get in the air.” Wood ordered his team. Everyone rose and headed for the pitch but there was a lot of very loud grumbling.

When the team started to run the field Harry, Angelina and Katie pulled way ahead of the rest. Angelina started to wane some at midfield and Harry and Katie got to the opposite goal at the same time.

After the run everyone was quiet happy to get to finally fly. Harry kicked off and circled the pitch at full speed before reining himself in and joining the airborne team.

“Why is your little friend taking pictures Harry. Not sure I like that.” Oliver said with knit brows.

“Not my friend so much Oliver, but a Gryffindor and a good bloke, if a bit excitable. He kind of lives through his camera. Would rather surprise me if he did something else for a living when he grows up really.”

“Oi, Oliver.” George blurted. “What’re the snakes here for?” He pointed at the Slytherin team as they casually walked onto the pitch .

“What the bloody hell.... What are they doing here?” Oliver uttered.

“ I don’t know Captain. That is why I asked you. We could ask Fred if you want, he may know.” George blithely replied. “Oi, Fred. What are they doing here?” George hollered to his twin.

Fred glanced over at the Slytherins and back at his brother and without skipping a beat shouted back, “They’re here for our witches.”

Oliver shook his head at his beaters antics but called out to the team, “Lets just get this sorted shall we.” Wood flew down to the green and silver team followed by his red and gold. Harry looked for his friends and saw them converging on the Slytherins from the viewing stands stairwell.

“Flint this is Gryffindor’s pitch until noon. So clear off now.” Wood asserted. No wasted formalities or false friendliness.

“Its a big pitch Wood. Room enough for all.” The big boned and snaggletoothed Flint stated with blatant shiftiness.

“I booked the pitch Flint so you lot can go bugger yourselves.” Wood was plainly becoming enraged. The Quidditch practice schedule was posted in all the common rooms as soon as Hooch and McGonagall formalized it. He had signed up for am for the first Saturday and he had got it and now he had to deal with these interlopers.

“Well I have special dispensation from my Head of House to use the pitch.” Flint smugly retorted handing Wood a bit of parchment.

Wood read it out loud so his team would not have to crowd him. “I, Professor S. Snape, give the Slytherin team permission to practice today on the Quidditch field owing to the need to train their new seeker.”

Wood carefully folded the parchment and handed it back to Flint before saying, “Your need to train a new seeker means squat to me Flint. I could give a spit if he knows which end of the broom to point forward. My pitch, my time and you all need to sod off. If you think Snape’s note will get you on this pitch you should take it to McGonagall. She is Assistant Headmistress and responsible for the practice schedule. Until she tells me different the schedule stands and you are not welcome here.” Wood vehemently stated.

Curiosity obviously got the better of him though when looking over the Slytherin team of large bruisers he asked, “Who is your new seeker anyway?”

Squeezing between the large Flint and another of the five ‘enforcers’ on the team, a smirking wisp of a blond midget presented himself.

“Malfoy’s git of a get, right?” Fred asked with all his disdain easily discernible.

“You got it Gred!” George quipped excitedly.

“Draco Malfoy.” Flint acknowledged. “And the Malfoy family has been very generous to the Slytherin team.” so saying Flint presented his broom for more obvious notice as did the rest of his team.

Harry had been aware of the new Nimbus Brooms since they had walk in. He could only figure the rest of his team were so focused on preventing the snakes from achieving a beachhead that they had paid no attention to their brooms. Now however, there in front of them were seven black and shinny Nimbus Ought Ones. Every Quidditch player knows brooms and though the Gryffindors certainly didn’t want to show it they were definitely envious.

Harry was the only Gryffindor not stunned in astonishment but he was busy looking for his friends. The feces and fan were about to meet and Harry wondered if his friends would be involved again. He saw they were moving from behind the Slytherins, which would have been great placement if this was going to be a battle, to stand beside their house team.

“Reinforcements?” Flint sneered. “Bit small don’t you think.” The slimy green and silver captain puffed out his chest some and looked to his team. Mayhap he was noting that the Gryffindor team only had three medium sized boys on it and three girls and the little second year seeker. Undoubtedly he wasn’t concerned about another half dozen midgets.

“What is Slytherin here for and what’s he doing with ‘em.” Ron asked his house mates in general.

“I am the Slytherin seeker, Weasel.” Malfoy smugly stated. “We were all admiring the brooms my family gifted the house team.” Holding his broom more horizontal and offering the four Gryffindors and single Ravenclaw the best view he could from were he stood. The arrogant git’s pompous pretension was so bloody evident that Harry wondered if the other Slytherins didn’t hate him as well.

“Excellent brooms aren’t they. Best on the market. Maybe if the Gryffindors pooled their gold they could get one of these for your team. Though the rest of the team will be on those antique cleensweeps so it won’t matter.” Draco sneered and his new team mates laughed at his wit and panache.

“No one on the Gryffindor team had to buy brooms to get on it.” Hermione harshly proclaimed. “They didn’t need to.”

The smug look on Malfoy’s face fell to be replaced by anger. “Shut it you mudblood bitch. If I want your opinion I’ll scrape it off my zipper.” Again Draco’s team mates laughed at his turn of phrase.

Harry would have laughed, as well, at the absurdity of the muffed metaphor if not for Malfoy calling Hermione a bitch and suggesting she was a submissive sex slave. Rather then laugh Harry pulled his wand and cast a stunner at the blond tosser.

Just as Harry’s scarlet spellfire hit Malfoy, and before he could slump to the ground, five other hexes and curses smacked the poor fool . Two were greenish blue of an “Impedimenta!” curse which Harry had heard Ron and Neville stridently casting. Two were the nearly indiscernible air turbulence Harry knew to be the petrifaction spell. And the last bit of spellfire made him smirk a bit, as it was pink.

The petrifying hexes straighten Malfoy’s sagging arse right back up, the pink hex seemed to have no effect while the two knock back hexes did just that. Malfoy, unconscious and petrified, was lifted off his feet and sent flying back. Ron and Neville managed to get a bit into their spells, maybe it was their emotional state, because Malfoy was well aloft and looked like he would have gone a good ten feet or more if his trajectory had not slammed him into one of his team mates. The result was two Slytherins on the ground, one stunned and stiff while the other was indignant as he clambered back to his feet.

“What the fuck!” Flint screamed, pulling his wand and advancing on Wood.

“Your new seeker does seem to have a lot to learn. Particularly not to insult Gryffindors when they are surrounded by five wand welding friends.” Oliver snidely informed him

“Seven friends actually. We were simply...” Fred started.

“Shocked the little shite said that.” George completed.

“Well she and her ‘friends’ should get used to that word because that is what she is and it ain’t gona change soon.” Flint said eyeing the Weasley twins like they were beneath his notice. It is, however, hard to look superior with snaggleteeth, projecting brow, sloping forehead, a single eyebrow and spots.

“You’re right Flint.” Oliver said. “Just like you should get used to people calling you a half troll and suggesting you go live under the bridge with your mum.” Wood finished. He held his wand fully exposed now.

Flint froze from the shock of being so insulted, perhaps it was close to the truth and he just assumed no one in polite society would dare mention it. After the micro moment Flint growled loudly and took a menacing step towards Wood and raised his wand. At their captains growl the Slytherin team raised their wands as well. But that all came to naught.

A flurry of twelve spells raced into the Slytherins before they got so much as a jelly-legs jinx off. Three more spells followed those as the single, still standing and very apparently surprised, Slytherin stupidly pointed his wand at Oliver and tried to hex him.

From Flints’ growl to the last Slytherin’s fall was maybe two or three seconds. That was a lot to happen in such a short time. From being menaced by the physically imposing Slytherin team, to standing above their reposing forms. Some laying like lumps and some stiff as statues. Harry summed up every ones sentiments in his exclamation of, “Holy Shite!”

No one moved for a stretched out moment then Harry realized that the trouble they all were in did not mean he didn’t have an agenda that still needed to be fulfilled. The twins broke out of their silence at the same time and started laughing. They soon had interlocked their left arms and were doing some kind of jig while they orbited each the other, shooting sparks out of their wands.

“Did anyone cast anything dangerous?” Harry asked as he moved forward and checked the prone snakes. He hoped from everyone’s lack of response that only body binds and stunners were used. After Harry checked the six eldest Slytherins, finding them only stunned or petrified, he came upon Malfoy.

Harry knelt aside Malfoy and rolled him over, face up. He was still stunned and stiffened. Harry gave a cursory glance about and surreptitiously yanked a few hairs from the Ponces pate, stuffing them in his pocket. Harry was quiet happy to get the hair without risking the non-verbal summoning. With all the hexes having been tossed around it was possible Prior Incantatem could be used on his wand. Standing, Harry hollered out for them all to hear, “They’re fine, just incapacitated.” He added in a normal voice to Oliver, “Someone should get a Professor, preferably McGonagall.”

“She is going to curse our families to the ninth generation for sure.” Oliver said. His concern for what his team had done quiet obvious.

“The blond blighter started it. I and my friends cast the first spells. The team only defended themselves, Oliver.” Harry said trying to lessen his captain’s anxiety.

“Right, and sure it is that McGonagall will see that cursing the whole Slytherin team was our only recourse.” Oliver snorted. “We are all Gryffindors Harry.” Wood added as he glanced over at the long blonde haired girl in blue and gold trim. “You six just reacted quicker.” He mounted his broom and said, “I will go get her.” And shaking his head, shot up over the viewing stands and towards the castle.

Harry looked to his friends and team mates. They were all anxious to varying degrees except Luna and the twins. Luna looked completely unconcerned while the twins were still acting as though this was all a great lark.

“Hey!” Harry shouted to get everyone’s attention. The twins continued to dance but the rest looked to see what he had to say. “Do any of you regret casting that first spell at Malfoy if none of the rest of us had done so?” Harry asked of his five friends. When they as a group shook their heads in the negative Harry asked the team, “Do any of you regret protecting your team and house mates?” When the three chasers shook their heads, the twins obviously being on another world, Harry concluded, “Then if, and I mean if, we get in trouble for this we will be in trouble for doing what we thought was right. Regardless the outcome I can live with this.”

Harry suddenly realized what the clicking noise he had been hearing throughout the whole confrontation was and turned to see Colin still snapping shots with his camera. “ I would love to see those pictures when you develop them, Colin.” He called out as the first year was standing a few yards off.

It really wasn’t long before Wood returned, carrying his broom, accompanied by Dumbledore, McGonagall, Flitwick and Snape. Harry assumed they had been to table when Wood found them as Dumbledore still had his napkin stuck in his collar hanging down his front. The twins immediately stopped their antics. Snape immediately went about dispelling and renervating his students. Starting with Flint.

“This seems to have been a bit more then an altercation Mr. Wood.” McGonagall declared.

“Yes, Ma’am. I didn’t think I should express the details in the Greathall.” Wood replied. to which his head of house harrumphed.

“So, what has happened here?” Dumbledore asked no one in particular.

“It was my fault, Sir. When Malfoy insulted Hermione I took it on myself to hex the prat. Unfortunately so did her other four friends as well as herself.” Harry said stepping forward. If trouble was coming for them because of this there was no reason to hide from it he figured.

“They cursed Draco six way’s from sunrise and then they all turned their wands on us!” the recently revived Flint

Dumbledore almost notably ignored Flint’s declaration and politely addressed Harry. “It sounds like it is only one fifth or may happen a sixth your fault Mr. Potter. Was the insult so great that all of you felt obliged to exact retribution?” The headmaster calmly asked.

“No!” Flint interjected.

“I would think it suspect as well Headmaster.” Snape cunningly conjectured. Snape was just getting around to “Renervating!” Malfoy. As soon as he was awakened Malfoy rolled to his side and moaned while he clutched his gonads. Harry thought the little todger was lucky to have been unconscious for the last ten minutes or he would have known much more pain. Mores the pity he thought.

“I would offer my memory of the whole thing if you want, Headmaster.” Harry stated. “Or perhaps you would prefer Captain Wood’s memory, or maybe Captain Flint’s?” this got Harry a few smirks, a few smiles and a few glares.

Oliver Wood stepped forward immediately saying, “Not certain what Harry means but I am the team Captain and the eldest Gryffindor involved so this falls to me.”

Professor Flitwick chuckled some and shook his head mumbling about “Gryffindors”.

Dumbledore gazed at Harry for a little while and then at Oliver and then he looked to the Slytherins before he said, “Very well, Professors if you will take your house members in hand we shall all go to my office.” And he turned and started off out the pitch while the professors wrangled their wards.

Luna was loath to leave the proximity of her friends so Professor Flitwick walked beside her as she walked in the midst of her Gryffindor friends.

In the Headmaster’s office McGonagall stood to one side of Dumbledore’s desk with her Gryffindors strung along behind her. At the end of the Gryffindor picket stood Luna with her House Head aside her. Across from them stood Snape with his students strung in a picket as well. Harry figured if things went pear shaped they were in a perfect position to broadside the bastards.

“Mr. Wood.” Dumbledore said, gaining everyone’s attention. “If you will come here and recall the incident from the moment the Slytherin team entered the pitch up to the last spell cast please. Then I shall extract it and view it here in my pensive. It won’t hurt in the least and you shall continue to retain the memory in its entirety.” After Dumbledore pulled the silvery strings from Woods temple with his wand he stirred them into his Pensive that was sat out on his desk. The headmaster then lent forward and placed his face into the bowl shaped pensive and stayed that way for quiet some time.

When he sat up and addressed the room at large he said, “That was interesting in many ways.” Standing up and coming around his desk Dumbledore lent back on the desk a bit as he scrutinized the students standing along both sides of his office.

“What seems to have instigated this confrontation, at least on the students behalf,” Dumbledore glanced at Snape before continuing, “was Mr. Malfoy’s extremely ill-advised comment to Miss Granger. Mr. Malfoy, the Muggle Ministry, the Magical Ministry as well as our school bylaws all recognize the utterance of ‘fighting words’ to be the instigation of any following violence. By definition ‘fighting words’ are a word, words, phrase or action that are purposefully personal to incite a particular target and are considered the same as a physical attack. You, sir, offered three examples in your one statement. Everything that occurred after your comment lays squarely at your feet.”

Malfoy sputtered and looked to be ready to reply when Snape stopped him cold with a look.

“Miss Granger’s “Ico Inguen!” must be considered a reasonable reaction to Mr. Malfoy’s provocation even though it may seem a little extreme, it was cast in the heat of the moment. Now as to the other five students that chose to champion Miss Granger I would not find fault with any ‘one’ of you for responding to the bigoted, prejudiced and vindictive remark by hexing the speaker so I truly cannot fault the five of you as it was obviously a spontaneous reaction and unplanned. I applaud your loyalty and though I will not award you points neither shall I deduct any.

“Mr. Flint.” Dumbledore looked to the Slytherin Captain, “You stated that Miss Granger and her friends should get used to this particular insult. Then took umbrage when Mr. Wood offered you what most would consider a childish and petulant insult and instigated the second volley of hexes with your aggressive reaction. I wonder if you see any similarities in the circumstances if not the outcomes. I would like you to write me twelve inches on the differences of the two insults and the similarities between Miss Granger and yourself.”

“What!” Flint exclaimed. And ignoring Snape’s warning looks carried on, “I get cursed and I get punished for it?”

“No, Mr. Flint, not punished. Your actions and words have made apparent a lacking in your education that I wish to remedy. It is all for your betterment young man.” Dumbledore serenely replied.

“Mr. Malfoy. You will write “Any fanatical beliefs limit only the believer.” on ten feet of parchment, no less then thirty lines per foot please. Professor Snape if you will escort your students out, thank you.” Dumbledore effectively dismissed all the Slytherins with his last sentence. Nothing was spoken until after the door had closed behind them.

“In viewing the incident I noticed eight of you casting spells of a nature slightly beyond what one would expect considering the current curriculum for your years. Might I inquire how that is?” Dumbledore asked, his eyes alight with his infamous twinkle.

Harry stepped forward before the twins could offer a tale exposing more than Harry wished. “When we heard about Professor Flitwick starting a dueling club this year we formed a study group. Myself, Ron and Ginny Weasley, Hermione, Neville and Luna Lovegood along with Fred and George Weasley and Lee Jordan.” Harry gave his best offhanded shrug. “I guess we have learnt a bit from each other.”

The professors were all smiling and had been since Harry mentioned the dueling club. Dumbledore gave a wink to Flitwick and said, “When will that club be starting Filius?”

“You must remember how hard it is to get a good idea past the old hidebound Headmaster.” Flitwick quipped.

“Indeed my friend, indeed.” Dumbledore replied. then looking to the students said, “As it is not yet nine, the Quidditch pitch is still Gryffindor’s for another three hours. And I do hope the rest of your day is much less exciting.” He gestured towards his door, dismissing them.

The twelve students walked out the office door, trudged down the immobile spiral stairs, marched past the Guardian Gargoyle and stopped in the hall as a group. The respective silence which they had all held was broken by the twins, as they stood to either side of Olive, laughing and slapping him on the back. Oliver didn’t join in their laughing though he did sport a grand grin. Angelina, Alicia, Katie and Neville all had rather relieved smiles. Ron was chuckling and looked like he wanted to stand with his older brothers and join in their outright laughter. Hermione and Ginny looked to be in shock as they had cursed fellow students, been brought to the heads office and then told, simply, to enjoy the rest of their day.

Luna however sported a look different then the rest. Her continence expressed not but joy, like she had just stepped off the best ride at an amusement park, and was quiet ready to do it again. It was a very surprised Ginny when Luna stepped over and hugged her. Then holding her friend at arms length saying, “Thank you for inviting me this morning.”

When Luna hugged Hermione next, the bushy hair girl may not have been as surprised but she was no less discomfited. Again ending the embrace but still holding her friend by the shoulders Luna told her, “I am sorry that blonde boy said such things to you. His intelligence and perception are so narrowed I would be surprised if he can see out of both eyes at the same time. The spell you used on him though was brilliant and I would happily learn it from you.” There was voiced approval by the three female Quidditch players about the worth of the spell and their willingness to also learn it.

Luna turned to the three girls she didn’t really know and nodded saying, “Sisters” before she stepped in front of Harry. “When I got up this morning I thought I would be spending time with my new friends. The Wracksprouts obscured the possibility I would also be given a chance to have a grand tilt against ignorance, bigotry and misogyny. Thank you Harry, for making sure we were there with you.” Luna said and then added as her smile grew, “ Best morning ever.” And skipped off down the hall.

Silence again reined after she left as the group, in particular those that didn’t know her, digested what she had said. It was Oliver that voiced the prevailing sentiment when he said, snickering, “It is an odd Gryffindor that wears blue and gold.”

“Are we going to finish practice?” Angelina asked.

“Yes.” Wood answered fairly emphatically.

“Not sure I am interested in walking back to the pitch, so have fun.” Ron told them, though mostly he spoke to his brothers and Harry.

“I think I am with Ron, Harry. Sorry.” Hermione said. Neville just nodded his head in agreement when Harry looked his way. Ginny looked a little torn, like she would rather go back to the pitch and watch the practice, but not alone. She in the end nodded her agreement with the other three also. Harry laughed at the concern in his friends faces as they begged off from returning to the pitch. “If I wasn’t on the team I would find something else to do as well, so no worries. I will see you at lunch.”

His four friends went one way while he and the Quidditch team another. Three hours later, after Wood had yelled himself hoarse and the twins were on the verge of hexing him, they all returned to the castle for lunch. As Dumbledore had said the year before, “it was a secret so the whole school knows” proved true again. It was obvious that the rumor of what had happened between the two Quidditch teams in the early morning had spread through the student body faster than the sniffles in a preschool. From Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables they got an inordinate amount of smiles and nods as they entered the Greathall. From Gryffindor table they got a rousing welcome while from Slytherin table they received not but the Evil Eye.

They were swamped with queries about the ‘battle’. Managing to get a bite in atween answering the unending questions was difficult. Before they could choke down half the food they wanted Colin came to table with the developed pictures form earlier.

The pictures were interesting even though not one showed the incident from start to finish. Colin had captured in one picture the initial confrontation of the teams as well as Malfoys cursing. In another picture the Slytherin teams captain says something to the Gryffindors, and then after a quick movement and raised wand the Slytherins fall to a hail of hexing. Harry wondered if magical photos could be photoshoped to combine the two scenes.

After lunch the magnified Gryffindors and Ravenclaw returned to their respective common rooms in hopes of lessening the queries and acclaims. The thought of course was that with their school ‘families’, as McGonagall had proclaimed their houses would be, they and them would be a mite more relaxed and at ease. For the Gryffindors this was somewhat the case, because in the house of the brave and daring it wasn’t a surprise when someone did a little courageous derring-do. However in the house of the brainy and bright, valiance was the exception. More so, a first year that had a repertory of spells and the determination and willingness to stand beside Harry Potter in a magical confrontation and walk away unharmed, forced many in the house of the canny to reassess her hierarchical paradigm. She was certainly not the least and would be best not treated as the omega.

In the crimson and gold tower, near the mid afternoon, when all the bother about the ‘Battle of the Pitch’ had died down some, Harry quietly presented Hermione her birthday present. While she was at the work table in the common room and their other friends otherwise occupied he simply handed the unwrapped Oclumancy book to her and wished her “Happy Birthday”. She was both intrigued by the gift as well as surprised that Harry remembered. She was even more surprised when Ron, who had not been so preoccupied to not have realized the significance of Harry giving her the birthday book gift, ran up to his dormitory and returned with a multi-pack of chocolate frogs as a present.

Harry left the common room earlier then the rest for dinner. When the rest of them came to the Greathall he was, however, already at table. Harry’s huge smile gave his game away when at the end of the meal instead of the usual assortment of puddings there was a single cake in front of Hermione with lit candles atop it.

Hermione received a number of birthday greetings while they were at table and later in the common room. Enough so that she became rather self-conscious about it before the end of the night.

Sunday Luna joined the Gryffindor table for both breakfast and lunch. In the afternoon Oliver insinuated that the Gryffindors should all go down to the pitch and interrupt Slytherin’s practice after he checked the Quidditch schedule. No one was willing to get into that much trouble.

Sunday dinner was very good unless you were allergic to shell fish.




Monday morning rushed upon them and after breakfast the second years had Potions. Hermione, Ron and Neville were all marching to the dungeons like they were doomed. Harry however walked with his head up and determination burning in his eyes. He had steeled himself to confront Snape all through the summer and he was unwilling to take any unwarranted abuse. Perhaps hexing his Quidditch team did not truly qualify as unwarranted but the Headmaster had already set the blame.

Once in the classroom and before they had set up their cauldrons a sneering Snape made his snide remark, “Harry Potter and his pack of immunes. Your Fame will not stand you in good stead in my class. You hex a fellow student without provocation and life should be full of difficulties.”

“Mudblood bitch was provocation enough for me.” Harry blurted in exasperation. “I want to hex him again, in fact. My mother was muggle born and I doubt she was ashamed of it, I certainly am not. And I am sure if some wanker called her a mudblood bitch she and her friends would have hexed them so badly they would still need to take off their hat to pee. I will do no less for my friend.”

“Ten points from Gryffindor for that outburst Mr. Potter. Your recipe is on the board get to it, all of you.” Snape snapped. The professor’s eyes had gone a bit round at the mention of Harry’s mum, and his petulance seemed to vanish, at least for now. He turned, his robes swirling, and entered his office.

They had to brew Deflating Drought. Harry assumed so some would be on hand when they brewed the Swelling Solution. Hermione tried to whisper her thanks on his one side while Ron and Neville, on the other, were going on about getting one on Snape.

After Potions was Herbology and after that was lunch. Just when Ginny was sitting down in her regular place, beside Harry and across from Ron, an owl surprised them all when it lighted in front of them. Harry offered the bird some of his ground pork lettuce wrap, which the bird took with noticeable consternation. What the owl delivered were two Daily Prophets wrapped together by a note from Remus and a bit of string.

Harry:
Just thought you might like to see these. Almost as good as the Friday editions.
Remus
P.S. Talked with Goldtooth and we ‘will’ talk young man.

One of the newspapers was Sundays early edition. It had a front page story of the arrest of Ministry official Barty Crouch along with his reportedly dead son who had been living incommunicado in his fathers home. It told how Barty Crouch Jr. had been tried and convicted of various atrocities in 1982 and officially recorded as having passed away while incarcerated. Jr. had been sent back to Azkaban while Sr. was being held in the Ministry Holding Cells awaiting trial.

The second paper was this mornings early edition. Its front page had a picture of Lucius Malfoy behind bars and sported a headline of “Ministers Crony Incriminated”. The article related how Ministry Officials Andrew Weasley and Ralph Scrimgeour executed a search and seizure writ on the Malfoys Sunday afternoon. Seventeen Class Five Proscribed items were found along with three Class Four items. The reporter related how the seventeen items alone could carry a minimum charge of ten years in Azkaban, if convicted. The article went on to say when asked for his comment the Minister of Magic, Cornelius O. Fudge said he was sure it was all a huge mistake.

“Deliveries at midday again Mr. Potter?” Professor McGonagall asked from behind him.

“Yes Ma’am.” Harry answered. “My...erm, Honorary Uncle thought I should see these two issues.” He Handed her the Sunday edition about the Crouchs as Ron had taken the other paper out of his hands to read.

“Honorary Uncle?” McGonagall asked as she scanned the lead article on the front page.

“Remus Lupin, Ma’am. He was a good friend of my dad’s.” Harry replied.

“And how did you ever become acquainted with Mr. Lupin.” McGonagall asked looking over the top of the paper she was reading.

“Well.” Harry paused a bit wondering how to answer and why she asked. He never would have thought McGonagall would hold Lycanthropy against her old student. “He is an officer on the family trust. We met after I went to the bank over the summer.”

Ron having read the head line and seen the picture immediately stood up and turning around hollered out, “Your daddy is in the paper Malfoy!”

“Mr. Weasley we do not shout across the Greathall. It is just not done.” McGonagall admonished him in a stern stage whisper.

Malfoy responded, like an idiot. “Malfoys are often in the paper Weasel, it is what we do.” He said with a pompous sneer. He should have known better, there wasn’t a Weasley born that would waste a word for the betterment of a Malfoy.

“He was arrested you berk!” Ron shouted and laughed. Malfoy’s sneer was supplanted by confusion and dread. Ron turned the paper front page out to the rest of the Greathall though only the Ravenclaws could actually see it well enough to discern the details.

The Gryffindor table, everyone knowing what Malfoy had said to one of the pride, laughed out right and loudly. The Ravenclaw table voiced an appreciable chuckle while the Hufflepuff table produced a perceptible snort or nine.

“Mr. Weasley, that will be five points for shouting in the Greathall. Sit back to table this instant.” McGonagall voiced vehemently. After Ron resumed his seat she leaned into the table some and quietly told him, “And I award you five points for keeping the school at large well informed.”

As Professor McGonagall walked away Harry returned his attention to Malfoy. Parkinson, Crabbe, Goyle and Zabini were huddled round him obviously offering support in hushed tones. Malfoy however didn’t look to be giving his contemporaries his full attention as he stared towards the staff table and his head of house.

Harry turned to see what Snape was doing that held Malfoy’s focus. The slick haired bat in black was hurriedly approaching McGonagall. When he got to her they had a rather animated, although quiet, conversation. At one point Snape turned to look at Harry then turning back to McGonagall shook his head vigorously in the negative and swept out of the Greathall, beckoning Malfoy before he passed through the doors.

Harry assumed they were off to seek confirmation somehow other than asking him if they could read his paper. Which was for the best as Harry would not have allowed that. You cannot constantly rain on someones parade and then ask to barrow their umbrella.

Harry was well pleased the five letters he had sent off had been taken seriously. Crouch Jr. was back in Azkaban and his father was in custody awaiting trial, as they both deserved legally, morally and ethically.

Malfoy was incarcerated also awaiting trial for multiple counts of possession of proscribed items of dark enchantment. If the old todger went to Azkaban for this lesser charge instead of attempted murder Harry would be satisfied, for now. Reassessment could wait.

A great dark and evil serpent under the school was no longer, nor would ever again be, a threat to any student. A deserving creature had been removed from an undeserving family and after accomplishing all this Harry still would get his arse chewed off when next he saw Remus face to face. It was all good though.

Harry would send a letter to Remus after lunch, during his free period, to ask about the search for the Smith heir. He would also ask Remus to start looking for a cheap, albeit striking, bit of jewelry that they could use to test Gringott’s response. He needed to know, as well, if they needed to buy polyjuice potion or brew it themselves.

He considered the Horcruxes. The cup was still so far underground that any plan to acquire it was proverbially up in the air. Ravenclaw’s diadem was in the Room of Hidden Things and he would be going after it in the next few days, or so he planed. The ring of course was in the Gaunt shed but Harry had no intention of Remus going after it alone and even doubted that Remus and a free and healthy Sirius could overcome the curses inside the shack. Maybe Bill Weasley would be a good addition. The Locket was inside the Black Family home and Kreature would certainly resist anyone but Sirius entering there so that had to wait. At this conjuncture those were all the horcruxes, except for the most disquieting of the lot, and that one would needs be last in any case.


******


* Afraid I mistook a fan map on HPL as Jo’s, the stream stays though as most lakes do have them
** taken completely or partially from Jo’s work, book 1-7, although ...

A/N I shall strive to conform more to the 10k average chapter length but the premise of this chapter was the killing of the basilisk and the incarceration of Malfoy. what was in between was just there and could not be ignored
Reviews 132
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear