Search:

SIYE Time:14:26 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Unity in Diversity
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 118
Summary: Sequel to The Beast Within. Highly reccommend you read that first. Harry and Ginny make new friends, find a few rivals, and generally enjoy themselves until danger is thrust upon Harry once again.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61546; Chapter Total: 2728





Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta Arnel for catching all my many errors. Again, the idea of a Parents' Day is used with permission from the original author (or at least the author I've ever seen use the idea).




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Two persons cannot long be friends if they cannot forgive each other's little failings.
---Jean de la Bruyere


Lunch was a surprise. It was served buffet-style, something Chris informed him was the norm for breakfast and lunch as students came in at different times. That wasn't the only thing that was different. Where Hogwarts often offered several choices of foods, here only two choices were offered, today being: sandwiches with various lunch meats, veggie fillers, condiments, and crisps, or a hot lunch that consisted of spaghetti, a choice of tomato or Alfredo sauce, garlic bread or plain bread and butter. Bowls of mixed fruit were on the one table everyone currently sat at, along with pitchers of drinks, from pumpkin juice to lemonade to water.

Harry elected to have a turkey sandwich, while Ginny chose the pasta. Harry and Ginny were introduced to the three others who had arrived before them, two girls and one bloke, all upperclassmen. They seemed nice enough to Harry, but he couldn't be sure. He supposed he wouldn't be sure until the school year really started. He didn't blame them for not wanting to hang around someone younger.

“So, what are some things we should know as far as the school year? I mean, at Hogwarts there were four Houses and the students were divided amongst the four. Points were awarded for correct answers in class or for helping each other out, things like that. At the end of the year, the House with the most points won the House Cup. Is there anything like that here?”

“There is something like that here. Instead of Houses, we just run a competition between the years. The year with the most points wins bragging rights until the end of the following year when a new winner is announced–or the same one, if the year repeats, but that doesn't happen much.”

“The years compete against each other?” Ginny asked in surprise. “That doesn't seem very fair. The material is easier in the earlier years.”

Chris shrugged. “You think it is now that you've learned it, but I'm guessing it wasn't too easy while you were learning it.”

Harry felt Ginny tense up a little and held his breath. He wondered what she'd say about her first year. Her left hand dropped under the table and landed on his thigh, which startled him a bit, but he reached over with his left hand and took it into his, giving it a squeeze.

“You're right, Chris,” she agreed. “It wasn't that easy for me.”

Chris shrugged again and lowered his voice conspiratorially, though the staff was too far away to hear him. “Personally, I think the teachers give the younger years fewer points but more often to help equalize things. You know? Like give the older years more points but less often. None of the teachers will actually say that's what they do, though.”

Giving Ginny's hand a final squeeze, Harry let go to take a drink of his pumpkin juice. “What are the teachers like? What can we expect?”

“They're all good. They really know their stuff. You'll work hard, but you'll learn a lot, too.”

“That's good to know.”

“Yeah,” Ginny said, nodding. “At Hogwarts, we have a ghost who teaches History of Magic, but all he teaches about are goblin wars. Our Divination professor is barmy and predicts a student's death every year, from what I understand, and our Potions professor is a greasy git who seems to take great pleasure in punishing people not in his House. He doesn't really teach, either, just puts instructions on his blackboard and tells us to do it.”

Chris stared at the two of them, mouth open wide. “Well, no wonder you came here! I would have too if that was the education I was getting! I promise you, you won't have to worry about that here.”

Harry felt relieved to hear that and said so. Ginny leaned close to him to take an apple out of the bowl in front of him, causing Harry to get a huge whiff of her perfume. He'd been doing alright now that he wasn't cooped up in a small space with her, but this time he'd inhaled more perfume than fresh air, setting him off again.

From down the table, Harry heard Sirius call, “After lunch, Harry!”

Harry rolled his eyes. He definitely needed to explain what was happening. He certainly didn't want to start a precedent for seeing the matron before the school year even began. Ginny checked his temperature, which really didn't do him any favors.

“You've been doing that all morning. Are you sure you're alright? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see the matron.”

“I'm fine,” Harry stressed for what seemed the hundredth time.

“Could be allergies or something around here that you're not used to,” Chris suggested. “Mrs. Cole is really good. She can help you out. Hey, you know, I think she said once that she had studied in England. Maybe she knows your school nurse.”

“I'm sure she's good, but there's nothing wrong with me. I'm trying really hard not to see the matron this year. Although, it would be interesting to know if she's acquainted with Madam Pomfrey.”

Once lunch was finished, Sirius forced Harry to follow the matron into the Infirmary. Ginny fidgeted a moment before blurting out, “Harry, do you mind if I talk to Hermione? I don't want to call too late.”

Harry had given her the mirror to keep since he'd figured she'd want to use it more than he would. “Sure. As soon as I convince these two that I'm perfectly fine, then I'll find you.”

“Alright, thanks.” She leaned in and gave him a quick hug before leaving the room.

Harry rubbed at his nose, knowing full well another sneeze was coming. “Okay, now that she's gone, I can actually tell you what my problem is. It's the–” He held up a finger for them to wait a moment. It seemed, the more he was exposed to that scent, the less control he had. Thankfully, there was only one that time. “–perfume she's wearing. I seem to be allergic to it or something.”

That's been the problem? Merlin, Harry, why didn't you just say something?”

“Sirius, you know how much she loves that perfume! If she knew that it bothered me, she'd never wear it!”

“Well, you certainly can't go around like this!” Sirius protested.

“I'm fine as long as I'm not in closed spaces with it.”

“Oh, yeah,” Sirius sarcastically agreed. “You were ever so fine at lunch.”

“Alright, closed spaces and large whiffs do me in, so what? You're not saying a word, Sirius.”

“You know what? I probably won't have to. Ginny is sharp; she'll figure it out.”

Harry nodded. “Probably, and she'll likely be furious with me for keeping this from her, but I'll deal with that when it happens. I want her to have as much enjoyment with her purchase as possible first.”

“Harry, if I may interrupt,” the school nurse, Mrs. Cole, hesitantly interjected, “I can most likely create a desensitizing potion or salve for you. I'd just need some of that perfume so I know what to counteract.”

The matron, er, nurse, in Harry's opinion, looked to be about Madam Pomfrey's age, and had sincere hazel eyes and smile. “Maybe later. Er, Mrs. Cole, Chris told me you had maybe studied in England. Did you by chance know Poppy Pomfrey?”

The woman's smile broadened. “I did. We apprenticed under the same Healer. We were friends but lost touch over the years. How do you know her?”

“She's the matron at Hogwarts. Has been for,” Harry did some quick calculations, “almost twenty-five years, if I remember right. She's also the one who, since I was little, took care of me when I was sick.” Harry grinned cheekily. “She was also afraid whoever was here wasn't up to her standards and gave me a book of Healing Spells for my birthday.”

“Oh, she did, did she? Well, maybe I should write her and give her a hard time over it.”

“I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. Well, now that things have been straightened out, I think I'll go find Ginny.”

“Harry, before you go, I just wanted to let you know that I have plenty of Wolfsbane Potion on hand. Come see me the mornings leading up to the full moon.”

“Thanks. If you need any help brewing it, for whatever reason, I can help. That was one potion Uncle Remus made sure I could brew.”

“I don't foresee needing the help, but I'll certainly keep you in mind.”

Remembering what he'd been told about the upcoming Parents' Day, Harry turned to Sirius. “Do you think you could get Ginny's parents here for Parents' Day? I know it's short notice, but do you think it would be possible? I know she'd love to have them here. Use my name if it'll help.”

“Harry, I'll get them here, one way or another.”

Harry thanked Sirius, then bid the two adults goodbye. Ginny wasn't in the commons area, nor was she in the recreation room. Slipping out the front door, Harry scanned the grounds and found her in the diamond-shaped gazebo. He headed that way, thinking it would be good to talk to his friends again before the demands of school took up most of their time.

0000


After giving her family and Hermione a visual tour and quick run-down of the things they'd seen and done, Ginny wandered outside to the front gazebo, hoping to get a chance to talk to Hermione, girl-to-girl. Soon enough, she was granted her wish.

“Well, I'm excited for you, Ginny,” Mrs. Weasley said. “I miss having you here, but I'm glad you've been having fun and that the school seems like a nice place. I'll hand the mirror over to Hermione.” Ginny could tell her mum was holding back tears. “I love you, Ginny. Contact me anytime. I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures and things that you mentioned.”

“I'll send them out soon. Maybe I can borrow Hedwig. I'll let you know when I do send them.”

“Alright. Goodbye, Ginny.”

“Bye, Mum.” Ginny remained silent while Hermione stepped out into the back garden.

“What's wrong, Ginny? Something's bothering you.”

Ginny lounged in one of the chaise chairs and sighed. “I'm a little worried about Harry. I think he may be allergic to something here. He's been sneezing all day. What if he is, Hermione? He can't concentrate if he's too busy sneezing.”

“I'm sure he'll be fine. Maybe he's just coming down with something. With all the traveling you've been doing, it takes a toll. Surely the matron can help him.”

Ginny shook her head. “He says he's fine, though.”

Hermione made a sarcastic sound that normally wasn't heard from her. “Considering what Harry goes through every month without complaint, is it any wonder he'd feel a little sneezing wasn't any concern?”

“I suppose. Maybe I'm just worried for no reason.”

“Where is Harry?”

“Talking with Sirius and Mrs. Cole. Speaking of the matron, someone said she may have studied in England. She looks to be about the same age as Madam Pomfrey. I wonder if they know each other or studied together.”

“That would be great if they do know each other!”

Ginny chuckled. “Yeah, Madam Pomfrey could rest easy knowing that Harry was in good hands.” Footsteps neared and Ginny looked up to see Harry a short distance away. “Here comes Harry.” Ginny stood and sat in a bench seat so there would be room for Harry. She lowered her voice and quickly requested that Hermione look Harry over to see if he looked ill to her.

“Sure, I will.”

“Here you are,” Harry greeted Ginny, wiping his brow. “I'm surprised you're out here, as hot as it is.”

“I know. I hadn't planned on staying until I discovered the Cooling Charm on the gazebo. It seemed perfect for a bit of privacy.”

Harry sat beside Ginny and looked into the mirror. “Hey, Hermione. Did Ginny give you a tour already?”

“Hi, Harry. Yes, she did. We all were here for that. It looks like a wonderful place. I think I'm jealous. I can't imagine what it would be like to go to a small Wizarding school.”

Harry nodded. “This year should definitely be fun.”

“So, what did Mrs. Cole have to say?” Ginny inquired.

“She said I was perfectly fine, like I've said all along.”

Ginny's gaze narrowed in suspicion. “You can't be fine. Surely, she didn't say that. Even I can see that there's something going on.”

“Honestly, Ginny, it's really nothing to worry about.”

“So, you do admit that there's something.”

Harry sighed, rubbing his nose. “It's just something in the air. That's all. I'll acclimate. Hey, I asked Mrs. Cole about Madam Pomfrey and guess what she said?”

“What?” both Hermione and Ginny responded.

“She actually does know Madam Pomfrey. They were friends at one time but lost track of each other.” Harry cheekily grinned. “I sort of let slip that Madam Pomfrey was afraid for my health while here. I think Mrs. Cole will be writing to Madam Pomfrey soon.”

“That's fantastic, Harry!” Hermione cried. “If she's anywhere near Madam Pomfrey's level, you'll have nothing to worry about–and neither will she.” The three laughed easily together. “I can't believe you have another week to go before your school year starts. I can't wait to see what your colors are and to hear where the Wizarding shops are located there.”

“Actually, I know what the colors are,” Harry revealed, grinning madly. “I happened to see the uniforms when Chris was unpacking. I tried not to look too much, but I did catch a glimpse of those.”

“Well?” Ginny asked, irritated that he seemed inclined to drag out the suspense. “Don't say that and then not tell us, you prat! Don't make me hex you!”

Laughing, Harry held up his hands. “Alright, alright. The colors are navy blue and this turquoise green color. You know, like the color of the water you normally see in pictures of tropical places?”

“Ohhh, how pretty!” Hermione gushed, sounding–to Harry–more like Lavender Brown or Parvati Patil. “What do the uniforms look like? Do they wear robes?”

“I don't want to spoil things for Ginny. I will say that none of the staff that we've met so far have worn robes.”

“Maybe they will once school starts,” Ginny put forth.

Harry shrugged, rubbing his nose again. “Maybe. I guess we'll find out. Oh, something else I learned today, and Hermione, you'll like this. They have something here called Labor Day; it's a national holiday. Anyway, here at school, they show their appreciation to all the staff by chipping in to help them out. All the students are here by then. For professors, students help organize supplies or separate what's old and what's new. In the library, they help catalog what books need repairing, if any, or polish the shelves. The house-elves do the absolute minimum amount of work. So, some students help them do laundry, while others help in the kitchen, in the vegetable gardens, or the grounds.”

Both Ginny and Harry nearly winced at the high-pitched squeal that came through the mirror. “That's absolutely amazing! Maybe we can start something like that here! They're so often mistreated! They deserve to be recognized! Maybe if … ” Hermione rattled off several more ideas she had.

Ginny snorted and turned to her boyfriend. “You just had to get her started, didn't you?”

“Well, it is impressive that they do that sort of thing here. It's a bit odd to do it before the school year starts, but it's nice that they do it at all. ”

“True.”

By this time, Hermione had zoned back into the conversation and heard Harry say, “I was told something else, too. Mr. B. told me this.”

“Merlin! You're just a fountain of information today! Is there anything you didn't talk about? I wish I'd had this type of conversation with Miss Green. Ours was more of a personal chat, like how she was there to listen to me anytime I needed to talk, that sort of thing.”

Harry grinned and nodded. “Mr. B. said that to me, too.”

Having had the dean concept explained to her, Hermione understood to whom Harry and Ginny were referring. “So, what did he tell you, Harry?”

Ginny frowned as Harry rubbed at his nose yet again. “On the Sunday before the new school year, parents are allowed to come see the school, to spend the day here. Isn't that brilliant? It doesn't matter if they're Muggles. In fact, they're especially encouraged to come to set their minds at ease about where their child will be!”

Ginny's good humor evaporated. Magnolia House had a Parents' Day, but her parents wouldn't be able to come. She felt like crying. She told herself it didn't matter, that she still had the mirror to talk to her mum and dad, and that she'd given them a tour so they already knew what the place looked like. It didn't help. Heart aching, she forced a smile onto her face. Naturally, Harry noticed her melancholy.

“Ginny,” he said softly, “I asked Sirius if your parents could be here, if he could get a Portkey for them. He said he'd find a way to get them here, one way or another, so don't be sad. They're going to be here.”

With shimmering eyes, Ginny searched Harry's eyes for the truth, which she found. She broke down into relieved laughter, a few tears sliding down her cheeks. Sniffling, she said, “You are one hundred percent the best boyfriend a girl could have.” She warned her friend. “Sorry, but this has to be done.”

Reaching up with her free hand, Ginny pulled Harry's lips to hers, pouring her appreciation for him into the kiss. She'd barely begun when Harry suddenly jerked away from her, suffering another sneeze attack. Once it was over, she started to run her fingers through his hair when he sneezed a fifth time. Ginny threw a meaningful glance at Hermione as if to say See what I mean? In the recesses of her mind, a memory tried to surface, but it faded quickly.

“Sorry,” Harry sheepishly apologized, sniffling.

“Don't be. You can't help it. I hope this doesn't continue for much longer, though. You're going to be miserable, if you're not already.”

Harry shrugged, sniffling again. “I'll manage. So, Hermione, anxious for the year to start? Read through the books already?”

It was a rather blatant attempt to redirect the conversation and Ginny knew it. He obviously didn't want to talk about it anymore. She could understand that, but it seemed he was hiding something from her. A little irritated–but concerned–she decided to let it go for now. One thing she appreciated about Harry was that, if something bothered her, he let her talk when she was ready to talk. The least she could do was to extend him the same courtesy.

The three friends chatted a little longer. Ginny shooed Harry back inside when he sneezed again. He apologized profusely, then headed back to the house. Ginny watched him go, worry knitting her brow.

“I see what you mean,” Hermione said quietly. “I'm sure it'll work itself out, though.”

“But why him and not me? I mean, you'd think I'd be just as affected, but I'm not. He's hiding something, too. I can tell.”

“I don't know, Ginny. People are allergic to different things, if they are at all–sometimes even in the same families. Maybe we can help figure out what it is. Tell me what you smell.”

Ginny inhaled deeply, concentrating on the scents that met her nose. “I smell flowers. There's quite a few clusters of flower gardens all over here. Nothing we haven't smelled before, though.”

“Hmm. Okay, well, what else? What about the trees? Some people are allergic to certain wood smells.”

Ginny inhaled again. “No, nothing. I just smell flowers.”

“Okay, well, what about your clothes? What were they washed in, what washing powder? Maybe that's it.”

“I don't think that's it. When we washed our clothes the last time, we used a washing powder we had used before. He didn't have any sort of reaction. No, the sneezing is new.”

“What about shampoos or soaps? When exactly did it start?”

“This morning. Well, we were maybe halfway here, I'm guessing. Hang on. When we stopped for breakfast, he practically ran for the loo. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.”

“Did he seem ill?”

“No. We were laughing and making jokes. He was fine, otherwise. As for shampoo or soap, I suppose that could be it, but wouldn't it have had an immediate effect?”

Hermione nodded thoughtfully. “Most likely. Okay, what about this? Are you wearing anything with a scent that you haven't worn before?”

The memory that had previously tried to come to the forefront before leapfrogged all her other memories and bounced around as if happy she had finally remembered it. Ginny groaned, dropping her head into her hand.

“I'm such an idiot, Hermione.”

“What? Why are you an idiot?”

“When we'd gone to Philadelphia, one of the things we did there was to visit this village. They had some wonderful shops. Well, in one, I found a couple of perfumes that I really liked. I couldn't decide between the two so I asked Harry to help me pick. I had him smell each of them.”

Realization widened Hermione's eyes. “Let me guess. He reacted to them.”

Ruefully, Ginny nodded. “He did, but to only one of them, which he played it off, saying it was simply bad timing between his smelling one of the perfumes and his sneezing. I believed him because he smelled the one again and it didn't bother him.” Then, she remembered how he'd seemed to have disappeared. “You know what? I bet it did bother him. After convincing me to buy them both because I liked them both, he disappeared. I bet he took off so that I wouldn't know how it affected him! The prat!”

“Have you not worn either of them since?”

“No. Today was the first day. I'd been saving them, but yesterday, Harry convinced me to go ahead and wear them, pointing out that I'd bought them to wear them. So, that's what I did. Sirius helped me decide which to wear today. Bloody hell, Hermione! He's been sneezing all day because of my perfume!”

“That's certainly possible.”

“Why wouldn't the git just tell me?”

A small smile played around the corners of Hermione's mouth. “You said it yourself. You liked both perfumes.”

Ginny snorted indelicately. Exasperation colored her voice. “If I'd just known, he wouldn't have been suffering all day! I would have been just as happy with the other perfume.”

“He obviously wanted you to have this one, too.”

“At his own expense!”

Hermione shook her head, cautioning Ginny. “We don't know this for certain. Right now, it's just speculation.”

Ginny was certain. It made perfect sense. “I thought about waiting for him to admit it, but I can't stand to see him suffer needlessly. I'm going to find out. I'll experiment, make note of the days he doesn't have any problems and whether I'm wearing this perfume, but I'm fairly certain I'm right.”

“I hate to say it, but you probably are right.”

“I was really starting to like this perfume more than the other one, too,” Ginny lamented.

“Why is that?”

Ginny instantly blushed crimson. “There's a light woodsy scent mixed in with the flowers and citrus that dominate it. That woodsy scent reminds me of Harry; it's how Harry smells.”

Hermione's brows jumped. “Harry has a scent? You've never mentioned that before.”

“I've not noticed it before. I did now because … well, Harry and I … we sort of fell asleep last night talking … in the same bed.”

What?!

Ginny could feel her entire body heating as she tried to explain. “Neither of us could sleep, so we stayed up talking. We didn't want to wake Sirius, so I went to Harry's bed, and we talked quietly. Eventually, we fell asleep. Nothing happened. When I woke up, though, we were lying on our sides facing each other, my head tucked under his chin. We each had an arm around the other. Anyway, that's how I discovered Harry actually has a scent. I smelled it before his shower muted it.”

“What did Sirius have to say?”

“He joked with us about it. He knew it was an accident and that nothing happened.”

“Wow, Ginny.” Hermione giggled. “I said you might flirt with him, not …” She looked around quickly to see if anyone could overhear. Apparently, there wasn't anyone else around because she continued. “ … not share his bed.” She sobered almost instantly. “That probably wasn't very smart, you know.”

“It wasn't intentional! Don't worry. It won't happen again.”

Hermione's blue eyes twinkled mischievously. “So, how did it feel?”

“Hermione!” Ginny gasped, shocked at her normally somewhat prudish friend.

“What?” Hermione's cheeks turned rosy. “I guess I'm tired of being seen as bookish and straight-laced. I've been working on changing a little.”

“I'll say! I like it, though. Good for you! Just don't change too much.”

“I won't. I'm still going to be me, just more … relaxed.” Hermione's lips curved into an impish grin. “You haven't answered my question.”

Two bright spots of color blossomed on Ginny's cheeks, though her smile was all the answer anyone needed to know what she thought of her experience. “It was nice. I felt so warm and comfortable … and home.” Ginny bit her lower lip, then confessed, “I wouldn't mind experiencing it again. I think it was the best sleep I've had.” Before Hermione could speak, Ginny rolled her eyes. “Don't worry. There's no chance of it happening again. Not right now, anyway. That's just how nice it truly was. One of these days, though, we'll have a repeat. I almost wish we were older so that we would be closer to that day.”

“You'll get there, Ginny. Just try to be patient and don't rush into anything.”

Ginny grinned. “And there's the Hermione I know.”

Hermione laughed. “I told you I would still be me.”

The girls chatted a little longer before saying goodbye, Ginny promising to call again once she and Harry went school shopping or before day's end tomorrow, whichever came first.

“Now to find my incredibly noble, loving, git of a boyfriend.”

Entering her room, Ginny noticed some personal belongings around the bed next to hers. Someone else had arrived! She rushed to put the mirror away, intensely curious about her new roommate. She had just closed the top drawer on her bedside table when the dorm room door opened. Ginny turned to happily greet the girl, but her words died in her mouth. The girl was amazingly pretty with long, glossy black hair that hung to the middle of her back. She was taller than Ginny–more filled out, too. She wore a modest t-shirt and shorts.

The girl smiled and plopped onto her bed, a smile on her face. “Hello. I was hoping to meet my roommate soon. I thought it might have been someone I knew, but Miss Green said my roommate was new here. My name is Raven Wynter.”

Even her eyes were lovely! They were almost indigo. Ginny swallowed her instant jealousy. It wouldn't do to start any hostilities. “Hi. I'm Ginny Weasley.”

Raven grinned. “I just love your accent! British right?” Ginny nodded, worried that she would be rooming with someone like Parvati Patil, but Raven didn't notice Ginny's reticence. “You have such beautiful hair! I'm exceedingly envious. I wish I had a lighter color. It wouldn't make me look like death-warmed-over. But no! I get stuck with this!” She grabbed a fistful of her hair and held it up.

Ginny fingered her own hair, more at ease than she had been. “I think your hair is gorgeous. It's so shiny. And you do not look bad at all. You're very pretty. Thanks, though. My hair is a family trait.” Ginny scrunched up her nose. “Sometimes I hate it–and my freckles.” Then, she giggled. “But my boyfriend seems fascinated with my hair, so I guess it's not all bad.”

“You have a boyfriend?” Raven asked, eyes wide. “You are so lucky!” Raven rolled her eyes and snorted. “My mom won't let me, says I'm too young.” Her eyes widened as she stared at Ginny. “Wait a second. Your boyfriend wouldn't happen to be here, too, would he?”

Pride swelled within Ginny and she nodded, beaming. “Yes, he is. Did you meet him?”

“British accent, messy black hair, and impossible green eyes? Oh, yes, I met him. He's gorgeous! You are lucky!”

“I know. He's amazing.” The idea that Raven could be her eyes prompted Ginny to ask, “How did he look? I mean, did he seem ill? Did he sneeze a lot? I only ask because it seems as if he's allergic to something.”

“No, he seemed fine. Chris and I were talking with him, asking about Hogwarts.” Raven shrugged. “I think we talked for nearly an hour. He never sneezed once. I never would have known he had any allergies if you hadn't have said something.”

That only cemented Ginny's suspicions that it was her perfume that set Harry off. Figuring it was time to see for herself, Ginny said, “I think I might know what it is. I know we just met, but can you do me a favor?”

“Sure. I think we're going to be good friends. I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. What do you need?”

“I'm going to find Harry. Unless I'm mistaken, he'll soon start up sneezing. I think it's my perfume. What I need for you do is to make a comment and watch his expression closely. Let me know later what you think.”

“I can do that, but why wouldn't he just tell you?”

“Because he's too sweet, that's why.”

“Alright. I left them in the recreation room playing pool. Well, Chris was teaching Harry how to play, anyway.”

“Perfect. Let's go.”

0000


The game seemed straightforward enough to Harry. Put all of his colored balls into the pockets, then finish with the black number eight ball. Harry held the stick–cue–in his hand while he watched Chris break the assembled triangle apart with a loud crack! Chris hit them so hard that five balls fell into pockets. Chris elected to take the stripes, leaving Harry with the solids.

After a narrowly missed effort, it was Harry's turn. Looking over the table, he found one of his balls inches away from a pocket. If he hit it right, it would go in easily. Holding his cue stick awkwardly, he aimed, then hit the white cue ball toward its target. Harry was certain it wouldn't even get there, as he barely hit it, but somehow, it traveled down the table and nudged the other one just enough to sink it. Harry's jaw dropped.

“Nice shot!”

“But–but I barely hit it!”

“It was enough. Any harder and it might have bounced. Go again.”

From where the cue ball now sat, Harry had no chance of sinking another, but he did try. This time, he nearly sank a striped ball. Chris wandered the table, presumably checking out which would be the better shot. Deciding on a side pocket, Chris leaned over the table and took aim. From where Harry was standing on the opposite side of the table, he thought Chris would have no trouble getting the ball into the pocket, but then he missed the cue ball entirely when he looked up toward the door, gasping.

Harry whirled around, the words to release his wand on his lips, but gasped, himself. Just inside the doorway, Ginny stood next to a taller girl with black hair. The contrast between Ginny and the girl was stunning. Ginny waved and walked over.

“Hey, Harry. Having fun?”

“We just started, but yeah. It's a Muggle game. There's a lot of Muggle games in here, actually.”

“It looks like fun. Harry, this is my roommate, Raven. Raven, my boyfriend, Harry.”

“We've met,” Harry said with a grin. “We did a lot of comparing between here and Hogwarts, but I told her you would know more than I did.”

Ginny smiled up at him, stepping close enough to slide an arm around his waist. His smile faltered a bit as her perfume reached his nose, setting it to tingling. He desperately wanted to beg her to take it off, but he couldn't do that. He wouldn't be that selfish.

“Teach me to play?” Ginny asked.

Harry thought there might have been a glimmer of something in her gaze other than the desire to learn to play the game, but he couldn't be sure. He looked over to Chris, who waved him ahead, saying he'd missed so it was Harry's turn. Harry showed her how to hold the cue stick, then told her which ball to hit while aiming at one of the solidly-colored balls. He gritted his teeth when she leaned forward to kiss his cheek. For luck, she said. Harry wasn't sure who would need the luck more, her to actually get the ball between two of Chris' and into the pocket or him to keep from–

Nope. No luck for him. Harry backed away quickly. Once he was done, he apologized, almost missing the glance that passed between Ginny and the other girl.

“I wish I knew what it is that's affecting you so much,” Ginny said. To the others, she elaborated, “It's been happening all day.”

“It's nothing, I'm sure,” Harry said, finding it very difficult to meet Ginny's eyes.

Raven's brows rose. “All day? Really? You seemed fine earlier.”

“Yeah,” Chris agreed, unwittingly playing along. “It wasn't until Ginny came in that you started up.”

Harry felt heat climb his neck and bloom in his cheeks as his gaze jumped around the room. Ginny's gasp swung his eyes back to her.

“It's me! You're allergic to me!”

“Don't be silly, Ginny! I've been around you since September, so nearly a year. Not once have I had any issues.”

“What else could it be, then? What else am I supposed to think when, all day, you've gone no more than twenty minutes or so before you start sneezing, and I hear that you've gone a whole hour without doing so, only to start up again as soon as I walk in?”

There was definitely something in Ginny's eyes; he hadn't imagined it earlier. Dread settled in the pit of his stomach. Instinct told him she'd guessed his problem, but if she had, wouldn't she just say something? Not willing to admit to anything before he knew she knew what was going on, he shrugged.

“I don't know, but it's not you.”

Another look passed between Ginny and the girl. Harry found his hand suddenly clasped tightly in one of Ginny's hands.

“Sorry, Chris,” Ginny said, not sounding the least bit sorry to Harry, “but I need to borrow my boyfriend for a bit. He'll be back later.”

“Um, sure. Harry, man, I don't envy you right now.”

Harry wasn't sure he envied himself, either. Something was definitely up. Ginny tugged him out of the room, through the back door, and out to the gazebo. His heart sank when she pushed him onto a cushioned bench and she sat on one a few feet away.

“I know that you know exactly what is affecting you. What is it? We're not leaving here until you tell me.”

“It's … ” Harry groaned and dropped his head into his hands. With huge amounts of trepidation, he finally came clean. “It's your perfume. I don't know what it is, but there's something in it that makes me sneeze. I don't know if it's the flowery smell or what but there's definitely something.”

“I thought so.”

Ginny's quiet declaration had Harry's head shooting upward. “You did?” Harry cringed, dreading the answer to his next question. “For how long? How did you figure it out?”

“Not very long. Hermione and I worked it out. I was going to run a little experiment over a period of a few days, but when Raven said you'd spent an entire hour with them without a problem, I decided to do one single test. I was proved right. Harry, why didn't you say something?”

Feeling an inch tall at the confusion and hurt in Ginny's voice, Harry mutely shrugged. He rubbed his palm with the thumb of the opposite hand. After a moment, he said, “I didn't want you to feel as if you couldn't wear it. I know how much you like it, and it does smell nice on you.”

“But, Harry, if you're miserable, then what's the point? I want you beside me, not pushing me away because you can't hold back any longer.” Harry stared at her in shock. Ginny nodded, knowingly. “That's right. I know what you've been doing. And at breakfast this morning? You knew you were about to start sneezing. That's why you disappeared so fast, wasn't it?”

Harry sighed, running his hands through his hair. Surprisingly, it felt good to actually talk about this with her. “Yeah, it was.” He gave a single chuckle. “Barely made it inside, too. I felt so much better afterward, though.”

“I'm sure you did. Harry, I thought you understood that you could tell me anything.”

“I know, but I'm the one who convinced you to buy it. I knew you loved it, and I wanted you to have it. I wanted you to spend your money on things that you wanted. Then, once you had it, I didn't want you to think it was a waste of money that you worked so hard to earn. So, I didn't say anything.” Harry chanced a quick glance at Ginny. He couldn't read much by her expression. “Are you angry with me?”

“No, I'm not angry. How could I be when you were willing to suffer just to make sure I was happy?” Ginny stood but didn't come any closer. “I think I'm going to wash this perfume off.”

“Don't.”

Ginny sighed. “Harry–”

“At least come here first.” Harry held his hand out to her.

“But you'll–”

“Please?”

Harry was relieved when Ginny relented and sat beside him. Pulling her to him, he kissed the top of her head. “I'm sorry if I hurt you by not speaking up.”

“You did hurt my feelings a little, but it's okay.”

“No, it's not, but thanks for saying so anyway.”

Ginny let her head fall to his shoulder. “I love you, Harry. Nothing will ever change that.”

“I love you, too, Ginny.”

They sat in silence, Harry working hard to put off the inevitable. He tried not to let it show, but she must have picked up on it anyway.

“Harry, just let it–”

Harry shot away from Ginny, the first sneeze hitting before he'd taken two steps. By the time he'd reached the nearest wooden beam a few feet away, he had finished. Leaning against it, he sighed. A mild headache pulsed at his temples.

“–out. I think I'm going to go now, get this stuff off,” Ginny said.

“Yeah,” Harry wearily said. “Oh, hey, give the bottle to Mrs. Cole. She said she might be able to come up with something to help with my sensitivity to it.” Ginny's brows arched and Harry winced. “Yeah, I told her and Sirius. I had to so that they didn't think I was getting sick.”

Harry let out a relieved breath when she smiled. “Alright. Go finish your game with Chris. I'll find you later.”

0000


After breakfast the following morning, Sirius Side-Along Apparated Harry and Ginny to a high-rise building. Harry stared at the structure before him as he did battle with his stomach over his breakfast. Neither his mouth, nor his stomach seemed to want the eggs and fried potatoes he'd eaten, not to mention the orange juice he'd drank.

“You're a bit green, there, kiddo,” Sirius commented, his amusement evident. “Are you going to win this round?”

When his stomach gave a threatening lurch, Harry scurried behind a tree. Stomach one, Harry zero. A couple minutes later, Harry leaned against the tree, completely mortified. That hadn't happened in years. Yes, his stomach still was unsettled after Apparating, but the last time he'd actually been sick was when he was seven.

“Guess not,” Sirius said from beside Harry, holding a cup of water. “Here. Rinse your mouth out.”

Harry took the cup in his shaking hand and took a sip. “That hasn't happened in seven years. Why now?”

“I'm guessing it might have something to do with the warding around the building to keep anyone with evil intentions out. Wizardkind and goblins, alike, have added their magic to the protection. I had to bring us through the wards so we could pop into existence without any Muggles noticing. Sorry. I should have realized it would have that effect on you.”

Harry took another sip of water. “I've been through wards before, though.”

“I'd hazard a guess and say that you haven't been through goblin wards. That's a completely different style and strength of magic.”

Harry finished off the water, wrinkling his nose. “Now I wish I had my toothbrush or some mouthwash.”

Sirius reached into his pocket and produced a small pump spray bottle no bigger than the palm of his hand. “You're wish is my command. Mouth spray. It's peppermint flavor.”

Harry eyed the little bottle, not certain he wanted to know why Sirius carried it around. Deciding he wouldn't ask, Harry took the skinny bottle, pumped a couple of sprays into his mouth, then handed it back.

“Thanks. Well, shall we go inside?”

“Are you sure you're ready?”

“Oh, yeah. I feel loads better now. The only thing that hurts now is my pride.”

Harry joined Ginny, color heating his cheeks. He felt less embarrassed when she simply kissed his cheek, then took his hand and draped his arm across her shoulders. Stepping through double glass doors with the words Magic, Inc. etched into them in flowing script, they found themselves in a white and black marble lobby. Along one wall was a bank of small rectangular doors. Along another wall sat a handful of goblins counting money, weighing stones or filling out paperwork. The third wall held three lifts.

“What are the little doors for?” Ginny asked in a hushed whisper.

“Post boxes, I believe. I've heard that, in the smaller areas, the goblins have taken to renting out post boxes so wizards can do business with Muggles. Come on. We don't need to see the goblins this time.”

They rode a lift to the next floor. The doors opened to a carpeted lobby with a few sofas and chair. The rest of the floor seemed to be holding clothing shops selling Wizardwear and Muggle clothing. There were also some second-hand clothing shops. Sirius led them to the Muggle clothing shop.

“We don't need the Wizarding shop?” Ginny asked, perplexed.

“Not this time,” Sirius said, with a wink.

“So, no robes, then?” Harry thought for sure she was about to jump up and down in excitement.

“No, robes,” Sirius replied, laughing.

They entered the shop and was immediately greeted by an attendant. “Hello, there! Welcome to Francine's Fashions.” The woman's gaze jumped to Harry and Ginny. “Need school uniforms?”

“Yes, they do,” Sirius answered for them.

“Well, grab a cart and follow me, and I'll lead you to the right section.”

She led Harry to the bloke's section, while showing Ginny the girls' side. Luckily for Sirius, a wide walkway separated the two. “If you need any help, just let me know.”

“Thanks.” Once the lady left them alone, Sirius turned back to the Harry and Ginny. “Okay, Harry, you need at least three pairs of navy trousers, one or two navy blue belts, and white, long-sleeved, button-down oxford shirts. Ginny, you have a choice. You can choose the skirt or the trousers, or even both.” Sirius shrugged. “You might think about choosing both. I can't imagine it gets too cold here, but it might get windy or chilly. You'll also need the white oxford shirts and navy blue belts.”

Harry stepped over to the rack with the trousers. Not entirely sure what size he'd wear since the sizes were different here. He chose one close to his size in England and held them up. No, they were too big. After a few tries, he found a size that looked as if it would fit. Harry pulled three off the rack, draped two of them over one side of the trolley.

“I think these will fit.”

Sirius pointed to a changing room not far away. “Go try them on. Take some shirts with you and do it all at once.”

“Right.” Glancing over at Ginny, he saw her holding against her a navy blue, pleated skirt patterned plaid with the school's green turquoise. He grinned. “I like it.”

Ginny looked up at him and grinned. “Me too.”

After trousers, belts, skirts, and shirts were tried and chosen, the trio moved to jumpers. They, too, were navy blue, long-sleeved, and had v-neck collars. Embroidered in turquoise on the left chest was a logo about two inches in size. Harry wasn't entirely certain what it was supposed to be but to him it looked like two lizards perpendicular to each other, the horizontal one facing left while the vertical one faced upward. Where their midsections met resembled a diamond-shaped, quartered window.

“Odd,” Harry commented, looking up at Sirius, silently asking if he knew what it stood for.

“I don't have a clue, but I'm thinking you could ask someone, Chris or one of the staff members.”

“True.”

Once outfitted with ties that matched Ginny's skirts in pattern and colors, navy blue socks and matching oxford-style shoes to go with the rest of their uniforms, they paid for their purchases, shrank the bags, then rode the lift to the next floor. There, they purchased their school books, parchment, ink, and quills. Another floor up held the apothecaries and potions accessories, as well as shops selling all the accoutrements for Divination, Ancient Runes, Astronomy, and a shop selling eyeglasses. Both teens restocked their Potions kits. Neither of them were taking Divination, but they were taking Ancient Runes and needed their own sets of runes, so they stopped in that shop to get those. They didn't stop in the Astronomy shops as their current telescopes were still in good working order.

“This is just so odd,” Ginny remarked as she looked around the next floor at the Quodpot, Quidditch, Gobstones, photography, jewelry shops, and joke shops. “I'm so used to Diagon Alley that this almost doesn't seem real.”

“It doesn't, does it?” Sirius asked, looking around them as well. “So, Ginny, do you need any Quidditch gloves or anything?”

“I do, yes, and some leg and arm guards.”

Ten minutes later, they exited the shop. Harry mentioned getting some treats for Hedwig so it was back onto the lifts. On the next to last floor, they found the owl shops, magical creatures shops, a Muggle pet shop, and two wand shops. Harry purchased his owl treats fairly quickly. Ginny declined getting a pet, stating she'd need to ask permission first, though she did seem to fall in love with a tortoise-shell-colored kitten.

The top floor consisted mostly of cafes, formal restaurants, and sweets shops. Two relatively small shops sold items one would find at a supermarket. The trio wandered into one of the sweets shops, this one dedicated to biscuits and fudge, each picking out a couple of pieces. Harry's stomach rumbled loudly. His hand shot up to cover the sound, which really didn't muffle the noise at all.

“Hungry, Harry?” Sirius asked, grinning.

“Starving, actually. If you'll recall, I didn't exactly get to keep my breakfast.”

“I recall quite vividly, than you very much.” Sirius consulted his watch. “It's almost lunchtime. Do you want anything to munch on?”

Harry eyed Sirius as if his godfather had lost his mind. “Just to lose it later? No, thanks. I'll wait.”

“Fair enough.” Sirius paused a moment. “Harry, how long has it been since you had your eyes checked?”

“I don't know. Why?”

“Sometimes, your vision can change. Maybe we should have it done while we're here.”

Harry shrugged. “Sure, why not?”

They'd almost reached the lifts when Ginny made her own request. “I saw a jewelry shop on the same floor as the Quidditch shops. Do you think we can stop in there and have a permanent protective charm placed on my ring? Bill's charm will likely fade at some point.”

“I don't see why not. We can do the ring first as we'll reach that floor first.”

To Harry's utter astonishment, the witch behind the counter at the jewelry shop gave no reaction to Ginny's request of a Buffering Charm to be placed on her ring. In fact, she never even looked his way, though Harry didn't get the feeling he was being snubbed. The woman smiled at Ginny.

“It can be done, of course, but it'll take time to layer the Charms properly. If they're not layered properly, the Charms can break down and eventually fade. I don't believe you want that, so I'll need to keep the ring.” Reluctantly, Ginny handed the ring to the shopkeeper. “It'll be well taken care of. I promise. When it's finished, I'll send it to you. Will you be at our local school?”

“Magnolia House, yes.”

The woman wrote a note of Ginny's name, what was to be done, then where it was to be sent. She wrapped the parchment around the ring, sealing the edges with a temporary Sealing Charm. Ginny paid for the woman's service.

“If there's ever any problem with it, simply bring it back.”

“Thanks.” As they walked away, Ginny fingered the empty spot left by the missing ring. “I'm so used to having it on, it doesn't feel right to not have it. I almost feel lost without it.”

Harry took her hand in his. “It won't be for long.”

“I hope not.”

The next floor down, they walked into the shop selling eyeglasses. A balding man with light blue eyes greeted them. “Hello, and welcome. Here to have our eyes checked?”

“Harry is,” Sirius said, motioning to Harry.

The jovial man indicated a chair in which Harry should sit. Harry took the seat, suddenly nervous. What if his eyesight had grown worse since his last checkup? Honestly, he couldn't even remember when his last checkup was.

“Don't be nervous. This won't hurt a bit. Now, judging by your lenses, I'd have to say your eyesight isn't all that great.”

“Unfortunately, you're right. Inherited my dad's vision, I guess.”

To his credit, the man's brow only twitched minutely. “Well, let's see if we can improve on what you have. How is your vision without your glasses?”

“Horrid. I can't make out anything but colors and blobs.” Harry waved a hand in Sirius and Ginny's direction near the door. “The only reason I'd know them is because they're familiar to me. I can't make out faces or anything. I can't even see three feet away.”

“Bah, no worries! I'm certain I can improve that. Now, I need you to remove your glasses for me.”

Harry hated to do it. He felt so vulnerable without them. He looked over to Ginny, who immediately joined him and took his hand in hers. Comforted, Harry removed his glasses.

“Alright. Now, I'm going to look into each of your eyes. I'll be shining a light into them to help me see. I imagine you're feeling rather defenseless right now, so I'll be as quick as I can.”

“Thanks. I appreciate you telling me ahead of time what you're doing.”

The blob that was the man seemed to move up, then down. “I've found it puts people more at ease to know what's coming. Alright. Here we go, now.”

The beam of light was so bright it almost made Harry flinch away from it. The man moved the light back and forth several times, directed Harry with the light to look up, down, then sideways. The same was repeated with Harry's other eye. Finally, the man backed away, turning off his light.

“I was only able to do some minor corrections. Look around and tell me if anything is clearer than it was.”

Harry looked over to Sirius and received a happy surprise. Instead of the frosted-glass view he was used to seeing, it was now like looking through slightly steamed glass. He still couldn't make out Sirius' individual features, but they were more distinct. He could actually see that Sirius' hair was wavy.

“Brilliant! I can actually see things I couldn't before!”

“Excellent! Now, then, on to your glasses. Would you like to keep the frames or would you like something different?”

Harry hadn't thought about that. He liked the connection to his father that his round frames gave him. On the other hand, he wasn't his father. Which should he choose? Harry just didn't know.

The man smiled, apparently sensing Harry's uncertainty. “How about this? Let's take things in baby steps. We'll change the lenses in your current frames. Then, sometime later, if you decide to, we can change the frames.”

“That sounds good.” Harry let out a little breath, his tension draining away.

A minute or two later, Harry slipped on his glasses, marveling at how much lighter they felt, and at how much better he could see. “That's … amazing. Thank you.”

“Glad I could help.”

While Sirius paid, Ginny studied him. Eventually, he asked, “So, what do you think? Surely, they're not that much different.”

“Not at first glance, no, but the lenses aren't as thick as the old ones. These look even better on you than those did. They make your eyes clearer.” Ginny leaned forward to whisper in his ear. “Their beautiful color actually stands out more now.” She kissed his cheek before moving away.

Harry fought the heat wanting to turn him as red as Ginny's hair; he was only partially successful. Two little spots on his cheeks and his ear tips burned. He couldn't help it. Even though it pleased him greatly to know that she liked them, they were still just green eyes. He'd made the mistake of saying that to her once and got an earful about how he should never downplay his eyes again, that they were unique, and had been given to him by his mum. He knew they were a rare green, but he didn't see the point in making a huge fuss, either. It wasn't as if his eyes were some completely new color, like red or something. Harry shuddered lightly at that thought.

“Alright, it's time we head back to school.”

Back outside, just inside the wards, Harry braced himself for the rolling stomach that was to come. With a final swallow, he nodded to Sirius that he was ready.

0000


His uniforms now hung in the walk-in wardrobe, shoes aligned against the wall under them, Harry started on his school books, putting them on the bookshelf opposite his bedside table. The door opened to admit Chris in his swimming trunks and towel wrapped around his neck.

“Oh, hey. Get everything?”

“I think so. If I'm forgetting something, I guess I'll find out soon enough.”

“So, what are you taking this year, then? What electives?”

“Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures.”

“Well, we'll be in Care of Magical Creatures together, but not Ancient Runes. I'm taking Arithmancy.”

Chris pulled out a change of clothes. The door opened again and a reedy thin bloke with brown eyes and golden blond hair rushed in. The Sneakoscope on Harry's bedside table spun and sang. Surprised, Harry picked it up and stashed it in the top drawer underneath some socks. He watched the new bloke carefully.

“Chris! Have you seen the girls this year? Talk about gorgeous! Especially this one in particular! I think I'm in love already.”

“Easy there, Lew. Hey, meet my roommate. Lew, this is Harry. Harry, this is Lew, a friend of mine. He's a fourth-year with us.”

Lew tilted his head in acknowledgment. “You're new. Nice to meet you.” Lew turned excitedly away from Harry, reminding Harry of one of Ginny's classmates, Colin Creevey. “Hey, Chris, come check this girl out. You won't believe your eyes. And she's a third year. Can you imagine? Of course you can't. Come on. She's got these incredible golden brown eyes and hair down to the middle of her back with all these glorious shades of red in it. I'm making a move on her before anyone else does.”

Harry's entire body tensed. The beast within him snarled and growled its opinion of anyone 'making a move' on Ginny. Harry slowly stood, and stepped to the center of the open floor, his hands balled into fists. Blood rushed through his veins, quickening his breathing.

“Stay away from her,” Harry commanded in a calm yet cold voice.

Lew whirled around, Colin Creevey replaced by Draco Malfoy. “What did you say to me?”

“I said, stay away from her.”

“You can't tell me what I can and can't do.”

“Um. Lew, I–”

“Shut up, Chris. This is between me and British boy, here.” Lew invaded Harry's personal space and jabbed Harry in the chest with each emphatic word. “You're not my mother. You're not my father. The way I see it, you have no say in what I do. Just because you happen to be from the same country means nothing.”

Harry smacked Lew's hand away. “Stay away from her,” he repeated, his voice lowering yet retaining a steely tone.

“Lew, I really think–”

“I said, shut up, Chris. If British boy wants to be here, he needs to learn some manners.”

Harry's gaze narrowed. He knew he shouldn't be getting into any fights, but he couldn't just walk away. He had to prove his dominance or he'd be forever walking around this bloke with his figurative tail tucked between his legs. “Do you think you can? I'd love to see you try.”

The two stood opposite each other, tense and glaring. Then, Lew made his move. His speed took Harry a bit by surprise, but Harry deflected the punch, spun Lew around and tossed him across the room. The boy landed and rolled into the wall, but was back on his feet quickly.

“Leave her alone,” Harry said again in that same steely voice.

“Why should I? She's fair game,” Lew answered and rushed Harry again.

Harry lowered his shoulder and drove Lew hard against the wall, a fistful of the bloke's shirt in one hand, while Harry's other arm pressed painfully across Lew's chest. “Because she's my bloody girlfriend! That's why!”

All the fight seemed to drain out of Lew. “Hey, man, I'm sorry. I didn't know. Yeah, I'll leave her alone.”

Chest heaving, Harry released Lew. With the adrenaline gone, Harry felt shaky. Luckily for him, the lunch bell sounded. Not wanting to see any rebuke in Chris' eyes, Harry left the room without a word, though he could feel both their gazes boring into his back.

At lunch, Harry discovered that quite a few students had arrived while he and Ginny had been gone. He'd been introduced to them all, but he could remember none of their names. At least they all seemed friendly. Lew kept his distance, but Harry could feel his gaze periodically. One part of Harry thought maybe he should apologize for acting the way he had. What that bloke had said had set off some primal instinct inside Harry that he'd been powerless to squash. He really needed to keep better control of himself. He couldn't react that way every time someone said something about Ginny. On the other hand, his Sneakoscope had gone off the second Lew had entered his room.

“You're being awfully quiet. Are you okay?”

Harry looked down at the girl beside him, her bright brown eyes full of concern. He inhaled deeply and let it out slowly. “Yeah. I'm fine. Have another roommate yet?”

Ginny eyed him a moment, and Harry was afraid she wasn't going to drop the subject, but she did. “I do. Her name is Amelie. She's fluent in both English and French.” Ginny pointed discreetly down the table to a girl with boyishly short, light-brown hair. “That's her. What about you? Do you have your second roommate yet?”

“No, not yet.”

“Hey, Harry, may I sit down?”

Harry looked up at Chris in mild surprise. After what happened, he thought he'd ruined any chance he had at a friendship with Chris. “Sure.”

“Look, Harry, I know Lew can be hardheaded sometimes and stubborn, and an all-around jerk, but most of the time he's a really good person. Try to keep an open mind, okay? Don't judge him too quickly.”

“Why do I get the feeling something happened?” Ginny asked, her gaze bouncing between the two boys.

“It was … something to witness,” Chris declared, sounding a bit impressed. “Lew came into our room announcing that he was interested in … well, it turned out to be you. Harry, here, shut that down pretty quickly. Lew didn't take it too kindly. He took a swing at Harry, but Harry tossed Lew as if Lew weighed next to nothing. Well, he doesn't, really, but that's beside the point. Lew came at Harry again and Harry plastered Lew against the wall. Once Lew realized you were taken, though, he apologized and Harry let him go. I swear, it was like watching two dogs fighting over a bitch.”

Ginny's eyes rounded, her face turning red. “A what?

Chris winced. “Oh, man, sorry. I didn't mean anything by that. My parents are dog breeders. I'm used to using that term in reference to female dogs. Sometimes, my mouth runs before my brain can catch up. I wasn't comparing you to a female dog, either. Please, don't think that. I think maybe I should just shut up now before I get myself into any more trouble.”

Ginny turned her gaze to Harry. “Is this why you've been so quiet?”

Harry sighed, shoving his half-eaten lunch away. “I'm not proud of it, but yes. I'm sorry. I never should have let it get that far.”

“I'm sure this is about to become a private conversation. I think I'll go. Hey, why don't the two of you join a bunch of us in the pool later?”

Harry looked up at Chris, brows raised. “You still want to be friends after that?”

“Harry, man, it was a misunderstanding. That's all. I understand if you don't like Lew. Sometimes, people just rub each other the wrong way. It happens.”

“Then, sure. We'll be there later.”

“Alright, then. See you.”

“Harry, what happened? That's not like to you–except for that one time at the water park.”

“I wish I knew. This … instinct … just took over when the bloke wouldn't shut up.” Harry rubbed gingerly at his chest. He lowered his voice. “It was like the monster inside was pushing me. I felt like I had to prove that you were mine or something. And before you say anything, yes, I know you're not something to be owned. I just couldn't seem to stop myself.”

“Perhaps you should try to get along with him. After all, you're going to be in the same core classes.”

“I know, but I don't know that I can trust him. My Sneakoscope started whistling as soon as Lew entered our room.”

“In that case, maybe you should try to keep your distance.”

“I probably will.”

“Good.” Ginny tugged Harry's plate back in front of him. “You were starving earlier. Eat. Then, we'll go play.”

Harry grinned, feeling much better than he had. He gave her a quick kiss. “Yes, Mum.”

“Ew, Harry, no! Don't even joke about that. Not after kissing me.”

Laughing, Harry finished his lunch.

0000


In Hermione's opinion, it took students longer than she'd thought it would to notice Harry and Ginny weren't on the train. Several people stopped by the compartment asking if it was true, where the two were, and why they weren't on the train. She, Ron, and Neville rode together, taking turns answering the questions.

After the tenth person came by, Hermione sighed in frustration. “I hope we don't have to deal with this the entire way. The gossipy nature of the student body is thoroughly depressing.”

Ron shrugged. “I reckon we should have expected this.” He scowled as he thought of some of the questions that had been aimed at him. “But, seriously. The nerve of them to ask if Ginny was pregnant with Harry's baby! She's thirteen!”

“Harry's counting on us to dispel those rumors,” Neville said quietly.

“I know. I just wish I knew what to say. I didn't think it would be this bad.” Hermione hated admitting she didn't know something, or didn't know what to do, and it showed.

Ron snorted. “We could always follow in my brothers' footsteps and come up with something outlandish. Maybe lots of things and say them all, something different to each person who comes to our door.”

“I like that, but what's more outlandish than your sister being pregnant?”

“Well,” Neville hesitantly spoke up, “maybe something like … Ginny was stung by a … well, one of Luna's creatures … and that it made Ginny a fly or something during the day.”

Hermione gaped at the normally quiet bloke across from her a moment, impressed at his imagination. “Well, that's certainly more outlandish than Ginny being pregnant. Good one, Neville. What other absurd ideas are locked away in that mind of yours?”

“But, wait a moment,” Ron interrupted, looking worried, “with something as barmy as that flying around, wouldn't that make people believe something less so, like her being pregnant?”

“Hmm. You could be right about that. Okay, what about this? What if we threw in some more believable stuff? For example, Ginny felt ill and your parents decided to take her straight to Hogwarts?”

“That's definitely better, but how do we explain Harry not being here?”

“Good question.” Hermione thought hard about that one. Shrugging, she suggested, “We could always just tell whomever asks to talk to Professor McGonagall.” Her mouth curved rather mischievously. “Or better yet, they can ask Professor Dumbledore.”

Ron eyed her a moment, then laughed. “I think you've been around the twins too long. That's bloody brilliant, Hermione. Professor Dumbledore won't know what to say, either. Serves him right, after last year.”

“Yes,” Hermione agreed. “I'm sad to say that it does.”

For several hours, whenever someone came by and asked after Harry or Ginny, one of the three compartment occupants tossed out something, alternating between something believable and something completely ludicrous. Then, the door opened again, and a sneering voice belonging to a white-blond boy goaded them.

“I just had to see for myself that it was true. Saint Potter has been run out of Hogwarts. I see there's one less Weasel, too. It's about time Hogwarts started to get cleaned up.” He sniffed disdainfully. “Mudbloods should be next.”

Ron grew red, as did Neville, but Hermione calmly smiled and saccharine-sweetly said, “Why, Malfoy, thank you so much for caring. You know, I think it would be lovely to study abroad, but alas, I haven't enough money, so I suppose I'll be staying at Hogwarts–unless some wealthy benefactor donates enough money for me to go.”

Ron and Neville stared in astonishment at Hermione, a look mirrored to a lesser, more horrified degree on Malfoy's face. He said nothing for several seconds and Hermione silently congratulated herself on managing to outwit the Slytherin. Served him right for coming to gloat. Honestly, why did he think he had to stop by every year? It almost seemed a compulsion he had no control over.

“I'm certain someone out there would do so if you favored him,” Malfoy eventually spat, his emphasis on the word making his meaning quite clear. “Oh, and Weasel, I heard your sister is going to be having a litter of pups. Your mother should be so proud.”

Ron struggled to stand, but Neville held him down. Hermione, however, didn't have such restriction. “Are you so obsessed with us that you feel compelled to visit when we're on the train? There's a name for that mental illness. It's called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Maybe you should see a Healer, get some potion or something for it.” She shoved him out the door and slammed it in his face.

“The git!”

Hermione turned away to face Ron. “Yes, he is, but you have to try not to let him get to you. That's how bullies work. Try to remember that no one who matters believes the stuff he spouts off. Not to mention the fact that Harry's counting on us to be his 'eyes and ears' as he put it. You can't help us if you get yourself into trouble.”

Ron sighed. “You're right. I have to do better–for Harry and for Ginny.”

That evening, the three friends sat together at the Gryffindor table, well aware of some of the looks being tossed their way. They politely clapped through the Sorting, and were rather anxious to begin the Feast, no one more than Ron. Hermione, thinking this was when Dumbledore was likely to notice two Gryffindors missing, turned to her companions.

She whispered furiously, “Watch Dumbledore, but be careful. Start thinking of something else, just in case, something you know a lot about.”

Dumbledore stood, looked out among his students and began to make a very important announcement. “This year, Hogwarts shall play host to a most daring Tournament, one that will involve three schools. However, this will be different than the ones that have gone on in the past. This one is far more reaching in its scope, for in the Dark times to come, we must have friends and allies in which to rely upon. In order to foster such relationships, to expand our horizons, one school in this Tournament will be from Asia, while the other will represent America.”

Hermione's gaze widened and she quickly turned to the others. “Do you think he knows?”

“I don't know,” Ron said with a shrug. “I don't see how he could.”

Hermione tuned back into Dumbledore's speech only to realize his voice had trailed off, his gaze zooming along the Gryffindor table. She forced herself to be still and hoped the boys could as well. Twice, the Headmaster's gaze scanned the Gryffindor students. Hermione nearly cringed when his unflinching eyes landed on her, then darted to the side of her, and she knew he was studying Neville and Ron.

Hermione thought Dumbledore had paled. Certainly, he gripped the table before him so tightly his knuckles looked white. Quietly, Dumbledore promised more information after the Feast, gave the signal for the food to appear, then sat down rather heavily. Hermione almost felt sorry for him. Not wanting to feel sympathy toward him at the moment, she focused on filling her plate.

“Don't be surprised if Dumbledore asks to talk to us either tonight or tomorrow,” she warned. “Don't accept anything he gives you to eat or drink and don't look him in the eye.” Though both boys agreed, each of them looked nearly sick at the thought of being one-on-one with their Headmaster. “If you'd feel better about it, ask for Professor McGonagall to be present. She's our Head of House. She has every right to be there. She's on our side, remember?”

That seemed to brighten the boys up considerably. Hermione chanced a glance up at the staff table. McGonagall seemed to be watching Dumbledore closely. Hermione almost wished she could be present to hear the conversation between the two of them that would inevitably come. At that moment, Professor McGonagall looked Hermione's way, picked up her goblet with the slightest of nods in Hermione's direction, then took a drink. As Hermione returned to her meal, she couldn't stop the slight smile curving her lips. She was fairly certain she'd just been given a victory toast.

0000


This was it! Today her parents would be visiting! Ginny jumped out of bed, grabbed what she needed for a shower, and headed down the corridor. Sirius had said they'd be there right after breakfast. Ginny couldn't wait to show them around. She thought the visit would make it easier on everyone involved when it was time to say goodbye.

All through breakfast, she nervously fidgeted. “What if something happens and they can't come, Harry?”

“They'll be here. Sirius is making certain of it.” Harry motioned to her barely-touched breakfast. “Eat. You want to have the energy to show them around, don't you?”

“It's no use. I can't.”

“Just a few bites?” Harry prodded.

“I said I can't! What part of that did you not understand?” Harry flinched as if he'd been physically smacked. Ginny groaned. Why did … girl things … have to happen now of all days? Reaching out, she took Harry's hand. “I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean to snap at you. I don't think I can eat. I'll just wait for you in the commons area.”

“Er, okay.” Snagging an apple, he held it out to her. “For later. Just in case.”

Harry had the most endearingly hopeful expression on his face that Ginny just couldn't refuse. Leaning over, she kissed his cheek. “Thanks, Harry. I might actually want it later.”

Ginny tried sitting on one of the sofas but that didn't last long. She browsed the shelves of the library room, but couldn't concentrate on any of the titles. She took to lapping the commons area as she waited, passing the apple from hand to hand. A few minutes later, Harry intercepted her, took her hand, and led her outside to the area under a tree designated as an Apparation and Portkey area to wait.

As they waited, what looked to be a train car–just one–stopped outside the open iron gates to let two men and two women off. Ginny exchanged bewildered glances with Harry. The foursome walked straight through the gates, one pair looking everywhere around them. A first-year bloke dashed past Harry and Ginny to greet his parents. Ginny thought he was likely to be a Muggle-born.

Mere seconds later, another train car stopped and let off more passengers. All of them walked through the gates.

“What kind of train can go on a road?”

Harry shrugged. “I have no idea.”

“It's called a streetcar.” Ginny turned to see Miss Lena smiling behind them. “Muggles use them to get around the city if they don't want to drive, walk, or take a bus. However, the ones you're seeing are Wizarding streetcars. You can pick one up from anywhere in the city, and they will take you anywhere in the state of Louisiana and a few places outside of the state.”

“Oh. Sort of like the Knight Bus back home. It'll take you all over England.”

“Wales and Scotland, too,” Harry added.

Ginny hadn't heard that. “Really?”

Harry nodded. “It won't cross water, though. It's not a fun ride, either. Trust me.”

Ginny could tell Harry spoke from experience. More students brushed past them on their way to greet their parents, who had arrived while she had been talking with Harry and Miss Lena. Then, three people popped into existence under a tree, two of which had the Weasley red hair. Ginny let out a high-pitched squeal and tore off the porch toward them.

“Mum! Dad! You're here!”





































Reviews 118
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear