Search:

SIYE Time:9:14 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Unity in Diversity
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 118
Summary: Sequel to The Beast Within. Highly reccommend you read that first. Harry and Ginny make new friends, find a few rivals, and generally enjoy themselves until danger is thrust upon Harry once again.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61540; Chapter Total: 2219





Author's Notes:
Many thanks to Arnel for correcting all my mistakes. I did end up adding a line or two, or changing some wording so any mistakes you find, are mine alone.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Expect the best, Prepare for the worst.
---Muhammad Ali Jinnah


Nine days into October, eight days after receiving the note that brought fear and worry to Harry and Ginny, Sirius returned from Britain with unwelcome news. Harry, Ginny, and Sirius had gathered in Miss Lena's office to hear Sirius' report. There was no sign of Ginny's mum, Bill, or Charlie anywhere. Ginny's head fell and she softly began to cry. Harry folded her into his arms, holding her close as she wept on his shoulder. Harry looked up into his godfather's sad gray eyes.

“No sign at all? How can that be? There should be something.”

“Not necessarily, Harry. Their location is likely to be protected with a Fidelius Charm or the location has been made Unplottable with a Masking Charm. Either way, I'm afraid they may not be found before the Triwizard Tournament has its champions selections.”

Ginny jerked away from Harry to stare up at Sirius, who hadn't taken a seat when they'd entered Miss Lena's office. Harry nearly winced at the grip she had on his hand. “No!” she said, her red eyes shining with determination. “Harry can't enter that Tournament! I'm worried about my family, but that Tournament is dangerous! There can only be one reason they want him to enter, and we all know it's not because they're fans of his.”

“Ginny, if I can do something that will help them, I want to do it.”

Ginny whirled back around to face Harry, a fierce expression on her face. “You can't, Harry. You just can't. What makes you think these people will even follow through and release any of them?”

Harry let go of Ginny's hand, cupped her face, and looked deeply into her eyes. “I have to try, Ginny. I wouldn't be able to live with the fact that I might have saved them if I'd done what the attackers wanted. Please try to understand that.”

Harry knew the instant he'd won, though it didn't feel much like a victory. Another tear slid down her cheek and Harry thumbed it away. Ginny covered one of his hands with one of her own.

“Okay, Harry,” she said softly. “You need to be ready. You need to learn a lot of helpful spells to prepare yourself.”

Harry offered her cheeky grin. “What do you think we've been doing every morning the last several days?”

Ginny sniffled, and laughed. “Yeah, I suppose so.”

Ignoring the adults in the room, Harry leaned close and gently kissed Ginny. It was quick, but full of emotion. Then, he turned his attention back to Sirius. “So, how can we get me into the Tournament?”

Miss Lena spoke up. “I can ask around, see if I can determine which school is taking part. Perhaps it wouldn't take much convincing to let us take their place. As Ginny pointed out, that Tournament is dangerous. Even here, we've heard of it. Not everyone has been fond of it.”

Sirius nodded. “While you do that, I can fly back to New York. Maybe I can find out who it is by going by the Department of Magical Games and Sports or whatever their equivalent is. If that doesn't work, I can try their Department of International Magical Cooperation. The sooner we know who to contact, the better off Harry will be.”

“Agreed,” Miss Lena said with a nod. “Alright. We have a plan of action. Harry, I'll talk to your teachers, particularly Miss Ward, Miss Naveen, and Mr. Asi. Starting this week, you'll be given work designed specifically for helping get you through this Tournament, just in case it does come down to you having to compete. A vast array of knowledge in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, and Transfiguration will serve you well, I think.”

“Thanks, Miss Lena.”

Harry stood and led Ginny from the office. He took her to one of the sofas in the commons area, sat and cuddled her close, Ginny actually sitting in his lap. She wrapped one arm around his waist and burrowed her face into his neck. Silently, he combed his fingers through Ginny's unbound hair, hoping to soothe her as much as the action always soothed him. Ever since he'd sat down with her and they'd discussed the suggestion that Miss Lena had made the day Harry had received his runic 'tattoos', he felt closer to Ginny than ever before. It had been a difficult talk, but he'd managed, and now, he was glad he'd swallowed his embarrassment and done it. Ginny had blushed, but then had given him a playful wink and had made a cheeky comment that so thoroughly stunned him, he'd been speechless. That was certainly not what he'd expected from her. From that moment on, they'd occasionally teased each other about it, all in good fun.

Harry gently placed a kiss to her temple. Looking around them, kids were going about their normal lives, completing studies, playing games, laughing. Harry didn't blame them; that was what life was all about. He felt gratitude that they were sympathetic to Ginny's plight and gave him and Ginny some space. News of the abductions had spread fairly quickly, and to his and Ginny's surprise, several of the upper year girls had offered to listen if she needed to talk.

“Ginny, I'm so sorry.”

Harry looked up at Sirius in mild surprise, not having noticed his godfather approaching them. He felt Ginny shift a little and tilt her head up.

“It's okay, Sirius,” she said softly. “You tried.” She burrowed into Harry's neck again.

Sirius motioned to the sofa, brows raised in question. Harry answered by nodding. “So, er,” Sirius touched his neck, places that corresponded with Harry's tattoos. “What's this about? I noticed you have two of them.”

“They're protective runes. Apparently, there's this spirit that is known to either help lycans or try to control and possess them. She'd begun visiting me in my dreams, turning them into horrible nightmares, and they ended the same way — with Ginny being killed and me walking away from her without a care.” Harry shuddered, recalling some of the images from those dreams. He shuddered for an entirely different reason when he felt the light kiss to his neck.

“I knew you weren't doing well,” Sirius said, shaking his head. “I should have made you talk. I didn't want to force the issue, hoping you'd speak up if you really needed something.”

“I know. You don't have to lecture me on that. I've already gotten an earful.”

Sirius nodded, looking satisfied with that. “Good. So, these runes, then, are helping?”

“Definitely. Six nights without a single nightmare so far. I have to say, I'm glad Ginny made me say something to Miss Lena. To be honest, it was getting really bad.”

“That's what I'm here for.” Ginny's muffled voice held a hint of her usual cheekiness. “I had to do something. He was getting rather … beastly.”

Harry snorted, happy that Ginny felt good enough to make a joke. “Very funny.”

“Sorry about that, kiddo. I hadn't heard of that spirit or I might have chosen somewhere else.”

“Don't worry about it, Sirius. I like this place. It's exactly the way a school ought to be: fun, relaxed, educational, and safe. The people here have been simply brilliant in their attitudes. I have a hard time believing the difference between here and Hogwarts.”

Sirius sighed. “You lost your scar and gained tattoos. So much for trying to not stand out.”

Harry shrugged. “I don't mind. They're doing what they're supposed to do. Besides, my scar is still there. You just have to look really close to see it now. I did get a few odd looks Monday and Tuesday, but nothing was ever said, and there wasn't any finger-pointing or whispering. It's been rather nice.”

Sirius tilted his head to the side as he studied Harry's ink. Then, a huge grin spread across his face. “I think I like the idea of you with tattoos. James and Remus would probably kill me for putting the idea into your head, but if you want a real one, I'd be happy to take you somewhere to get one. What do you think, Ginny? Would you like to see Harry with more tattoos?”

Harry's skin tingled, sending little shivers of delight racing through him, when Ginny ran a finger over each of his Runic protectors. He loved that sensation, couldn't get enough of it, despite the risk of setting off his inner beast. Ginny had, apparently, figured out he loved feeling those tingles, and had learned to read him well enough to know when it was okay to tease him in such a way.

“I really like these. They're just the right size.” She paused, then said, contemplatively, “I don't know. I think more would look really nice as long as they weren't huge and were tasteful.” She nodded. “The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea.”

Harry looked down at Ginny, surprised. “You do?”

“I do.” Ginny blushed. “Some of the older Muggle-born witches at Hogwarts read these novels with a witch and wizard on the front, embracing. Some of the wizards had tattoos. I thought they looked ...”

Ginny shrugged, but she didn't have to say more. So, the idea of tattoos appealed to her, did it? Deciding to have a little fun, Harry turned to Sirius. “Well, if that wasn't reason enough, I don't know what would be.”

Sirius laughed. “You've certainly learned early, kiddo. If the witch is happy, the wizard is happy.”

Harry laughed, but Ginny threw Sirius a stern look, though it was ruined by the twitching of her lips. Sobering a bit, Sirius advised, “You should take some time to think about it. This isn't something that should be done on a whim.”

“I will, don't worry, but I'm sort of warming up to the idea. I mean, my whole life people have stared at my scar the instant they learned who I was. It's mostly gone but people are still going to look. I might as well give them something to look at, right?”

Sirius' brows rose. “I'm impressed, Harry. I know how much you've hated attention. To realize that you'll get it regardless of that scar, and to embrace it, that shows mature thinking. When you decide what you want, let me know and I'll set it up for you.”

“Alright. Thanks, Sirius.”

Sirius left them alone on the couch. After a moment or two, Ginny had a request. “Harry, is it alright if we talk to Hermione, Ron, and Neville? Ron could be a git, but he's my brother, and I think I really need to see him right now.”

“Of course, Ginny. Whatever you want. Would you rather be alone?”

Ginny pressed her lips to his for a moment. “No. I need you with me.”

“Just thought I'd ask.”

Harry shivered again when Ginny combed her hand through his hair, smiling gently at him. “I know and I thank you for asking. I'll be right back.”

Harry watched her leave, running a hand over his face once she was out of sight, inhaling deeply. That feeling was returning again. The tingles, the caresses, the kisses, they all contributed. If she'd stayed with him, Harry feared he'd have had to leave her when she needed him. He sighed. He'd just have to fight it as much as possible. He couldn't walk away from Ginny, not when she depended on him for support. Standing, he stuffed his fists into his pockets, his normal action when the feeling came upon him, and waited by the front door for Ginny's return with the mirror.

0000


Harry gasped. “He's teaching you what?

“The Unforgivables, I know!” Hermione reiterated, nodding to show her understanding of Harry's shock. “He used the Imperius on all of us, telling us to try to break it. No one could. He had us doing all manner of odd things.” She threw a worried look at Neville.

Pale and obviously bothered by the subject, Neville bravely continued the tale. “Then, he took out this arachnid and used the Cruciatus on it. Its legs flailed and convulsed so much.” Neville shuddered. “It wasn't pretty.”

Hermione finished the description of the class. “Then, he killed it,” she said somberly. “He said something like: Only one person has ever been hit with the Killing Curse and has lived to tell the tale. The one person who's missing from your class.”

Harry shuddered, very much appreciative of the fact that Miss Ward hadn't even mentioned the Unforgivables yet. When it did eventually come up, Harry didn't think he'd take to hearing about it. He certainly didn't want to see it demonstrated. It sickened him a bit that Hogwarts students were seeing that. What in Merlin's magical name was Dumbledore thinking? Sadly, Harry shook his head. It sounded as if Dumbledore had lost all control of the school.

Changing the subject, Harry asked about the rumors and received curt responses from Ron. A little taken aback by the coldness in Ron's tone, Harry turned his attention to Neville. “Hey, mate, thanks again for getting that information from Dumbledore. Mr. Philter, our Potions teacher, has it, now, and thinks it could work. He just hasn't had a lot of time to devote to it. It might be Christmas before he can spend any time on it.”

Neville blushed, but smiled brightly. “Glad I could help, Harry. He really didn't seem surprised that you asked for it.”

“Good. I knew I could count on you to do it.”

Ginny asked a few questions regarding the other classes, and again, received curt answers from Ron, glowering at the two of them. “Other than the fact that Mum, Bill, and Charlie have disappeared, what's your problem, Ron?” she demanded.

“Nothing.”

“Sure sounds like it to me,” she retorted.

“Harry,” Hermione cut in, obviously hoping to prevent a family argument, “can I ask why you have those runes on your neck?”

Ron's glower instantly changed to one of confusion. “The what?”

“The runes, Ron. You know, those blue markings that Harry has on his neck?”

“They're runes?”

“Yes,” Hermione said with a bit of an eye roll. “That's what I said. What did you think they were?”

Color instantly stained Ron's cheeks, and Harry knew exactly what Ginny's brother had been thinking. Apparently, so did Ginny because she snapped at him. “Oh, I know exactly what he was thinking. At least, I'm fairly certain. And Ron, it would have been none of your business if they had been what you were thinking. At least I have someone I could do that with.”

Harry looked away from his friends in the hopes of controlling the heat that wanted to crawl up into his face. The wolf inside him practically panted in anticipation of putting those types of marks on Ginny and doing a whole lot more. Harry fidgeted a bit and ran a hand across his face. His mind mercilessly conjured up images of himself and Ginny from his dreams to torture him further. Then, naturally, it had to remind him how it had felt to touch her chest. Even through her clothes, he had been able to feel her softness. Harry fidgeted again, clenching his fists to rid themselves of that ghostly sensation.

“Harry?”

Harry startled, a bit caught up in what his brain had been doing to him. Looking at Ginny, he found her watching him closely. She'd been quite aware of his resurfacing issue the instant she'd seen him by the front door; he'd seen it in her accepting expression and slight nod of her head. Harry shook his head trying to clear it.

“Sorry. What?”

“The runes on your neck, Harry,” Hermione restated.

“Oh, er, they're for protection.”

“Why do you need protection, Harry? Runic protection is some of the most powerful protection there is.”

Harry described his harrowing nightmares, leaving out the details as to what he and Ginny had been doing in his dreams. “I'd wake up in a cold sweat, terrified beyond belief. I was too scared to sleep after lots of nights of that. Ginny finally convinced me to go to Miss Lena, our Headmistress, and ask for help.”

“After I made him tell me what was happening with him, that is,” Ginny added. “The silly git had suffered in silence all that time.”

“So, anyway,” Harry rushed on, “it was finally decided to try the runes. I'm happy to say I've been nightmare-free since Monday night.”

“That explains why you look tired,” Hermione observed.

“You should have seen him before,” Ginny said, shaking her head. “He looks good compared to then.”

Hoping to redirect the topic to something less irritating, Harry asked, “So, Hermione, have any idea which runes they are?”

“Hold the mirror to your neck and I might be able to tell you.”

Harry held it up to the left side of his neck first. He laughed as he listened to Hermione talk to herself in an attempt to figure out which one the rune was.

“Oh, I've seen it in the Ancient Runes text, but I can't remember what it's called! Don't tell me, Harry!” She muttered some more. “Oh! I know what that one is! It's Security!”

Harry lifted the mirror to look into it, smiling at his friend's pride. “Yes, it is. Good job. What about the other one?” Without being prompted, Harry showed off the other one.

“Oh! Oh! Oh! I know that one, too!” she excitedly said, sounding to Harry as if she was playing a timed game of Charades, Ancient Runes Edition. She began snapping her fingers. “That's Guardian! Also known as the Runic Cross. Those are powerful runes, Harry.”

“I know. Like I said, they've been helping.”

“At least they're not very big,” Neville observed. “They don't stand out all that much. I mean, they do. They're dark blue, after all, but they could be much bigger.”

“No, thankfully, but honestly, the people here haven't really paid much attention to them. I mean, yes, people looked the first day or so, and I could see they were curious, but there weren't any whispers or rude stares.”

Ginny snorted. “I'm fairly certain everyone could see you weren't sleeping much, Harry. I heard some girls talking, not gossiping, but just talking. They were hoping the runes would help you, as you so obviously needed it.”

“Oh. Well, at least they weren't gossiping about it.” Harry paused a moment to gather his thoughts. “But I've come to realize something. People are going to gawk at me and talk just because of my name. If they're going to stare at me anyway, I might as well give them something to look at.”

Ginny turned to him, surprised. “So you've decided, then?”

“Decided what?” Hermione asked.

Harry nodded to Ginny, then answered his friend. “Sirius just suggested it a few minutes ago. I think I might get a tattoo — a real one. Something visible, obviously, but not outrageous. I'll have to think about what to get and where to get it.”

Hermione's eyes bugged. “Wow, Harry, that was certainly unexpected. Ginny, what do you think about it?”

Ginny looked Harry over, a grin teasing her lips — one that made his already strained resolve crumble a little further, though she was unaware of that. “I think it'll look great. He already looks really good with the runes. I can't imagine feeling differently if he was to get more.”

The friends talked a bit about the upcoming Triwizard Tournament. By mutual agreement, neither Harry nor Ginny mentioned the ultimatum Harry had received, wanting to keep it a secret that Harry might just end up being at Hogwarts for certain periods of time. It wouldn't do for that information to get out prematurely.

Harry's mind kept wandering due to the flowery scent he always associated with Ginny continuously assaulting him. He tried to hide how he was feeling, tried to stay focused on the discussions at hand, but Ginny still managed to figure him out. When he felt her foot nudge his, he looked in her direction and received a slight head tilt in the direction of the school. A clear signal — to him — to go. Harry turned his attention back to his friends, scrambling for some topic to take his mind off his inner struggle.

“Quidditch!” Harry practically yelled the first thing that popped into his head. “Are they still having Quidditch?”

“No,” Ron replied, sounding more than a little irritated. “They canceled the entire season! Can you believe that? All because of the Tournament! They waited until now to tell us. They let us get excited about it, and then dropped this little bit of news on us.”

Harry shifted in his seat again, pulling his thigh away from Ginny's as best he could on the small bench they sat upon. The light brushes of her leg against his just made things worse for him.

“Harry, weren't you supposed to brew that potion for Mr. Philter today? The one you missed on Monday?”

Harry looked up at Ginny blankly. He'd already brewed that potion. Yesterday. She knew that; he'd told her when he left to do it that that was what he was doing. He continued to stare at her, clueless. She bobbed her head slightly toward the school again. Harry nearly blushed. Apparently, Ginny knew just how difficult his battle of wills was becoming. His gaze dropped to her lips as a sudden urge to kiss her came over him. Deciding he'd better go, Harry nodded, and turned back to the mirror.

“Er, sorry,” he said, his voice a bit raspy. Harry cleared his throat. “Ginny's right. I have to go. I'll talk to you later. Neville, thanks, again, mate, for your help.” The need flared intensely inside, and Harry was certain the beastly side of him knew it was going to be denied again. He rushed through his other goodbyes. “Hermione, don't study too hard. Ron, don't slack off too much.”

Harry didn't waste any more time. He practically ran back towards the school, all the while feeling bad for leaving, berating himself for not having better control. The monster that seemed to be so close to the surface these days fought to make him turn around, but Harry kept walking, his hands in tight fists deep inside his pockets. Preferring to put as much distance between himself and Ginny, he entered the main building and continued on to the back door, refusing to look at the new door that had appeared between the kitchen and the Rec Room ever since his little chat with Miss Lena Monday evening.

Once he'd passed the large greenhouse, Harry began to slow his pace. He still felt the pull, but it was easing a bit, now. He didn't feel like sitting and watching the fish in the pond that was just beyond the greenhouse, so he headed for the Quidditch pitch wishing he had his broom, but didn't dare try Summoning it again. Climbing into the empty stands, he dropped onto a bench, folded his arms over his knees, and leaned forward, his body trembling with the force of the turmoil inside him. He'd almost stayed with Ginny too long that time.

“Why?” he asked the emptiness. “Why now? I honestly don't know how long I can handle this. And it's supposed to get stronger?”

Harry groaned at the thought. Massaging his temples with his thumbs, he worked on calming himself, taking deep breaths and letting them out slowly. His mind conjured the image of the door to the room that had recently appeared, and he groaned again. He did not need that visual. He was not going into that room with Ginny! Not! Not! Not! Harry rubbed at his forehead, concentrating on his breathing.

It took some time, but he finally wrestled the wolf back into submission. Heaving a huge sigh, he lifted his head to glance around the empty pitch. He missed playing and had hoped he'd get to play this year, but it looked as if that wasn't going to happen — not if he had to enter this Tournament. Maybe Ginny could play. He'd be just as happy to watch her as she dominated the game. Ginny was a natural, graceful flier who was not above getting physical if it was needed.

The heat of the New Orleans sun beat down on him, and Harry decided it was time to get out of the heat. Climbing out of the stands, he headed for the classroom building thinking he might find Mr. Philter and see if he'd had a chance to fully study the Suppression Potion information. Harry hated bothering the Potions teacher again about it, but he was anxious to see if the potion would work. If there was a chance to not transform during the full moon, why wouldn't he jump at the opportunity?

Stepping inside the building, Harry sighed in relief from the heat. As he headed for the Potions Lab, he thought it weird to be walking down the corridors on a Sunday. Coming to the lab, Harry saw the door was open wide, a sign that told him Mr. Philter was in his office. At the beginning of the school year, Mr. Philter had told the class that he often could be found in his office on the weekends, to just look for the open lab door.

After climbing the stairs to the office, Harry rapped on the doorjamb. “Mr. Philter?” he called out, looking around the room.

The Potions teacher stepped around a corner. “Harry! It's good to see you looking more rested. I think I can guess why you're here. The information you brought me, correct?”

“Yes. I'm sorry to be such a bother.”

Mr. Philter waved Harry into the office and over to a work table that had sheets of parchment scattered across its surface. Drawing closer, Harry could see what occupied the table top: his potion research.

“I've been working on it, as you can see,” Mr. Philter said, indicating his work table. “By the way, you've not been a bother. Something as important and life-changing as this, I'd be anxious, too. Now, let me share with you what I've been able to deduce ...”

0000


When he met up with Ginny and Chris at lunch, Harry relayed what Mr. Philter had said. Ginny hugged him, and Harry sighed happily at the lack of reaction on his part to the contact.

“Is he letting Miss Lena know about it?” Chris asked. He lowered his voice and spoke softly enough for only Harry and Ginny to hear. “Is he telling Alex about it?”

Harry nodded, finishing his bite of sandwich before replying. “Mr. Philter will be asking Alex if he wants to test it once it's brewed. I volunteered, but he wouldn't let me.”

“I would think not,” Ginny retorted. “You're not some — what's the Muggle saying? Oh, yes, now I remember. You're not some lab rat to be experimented upon.”

Harry shrugged. “Aren't we all to some extent? I mean, when each healing potion was first created, no one would know if it would work the way it was supposed to, right? Someone, though, had to try it in order to find out. We, as a whole, have been experimented upon from the beginning.” Uncomfortable with the looks he received from his girlfriend and friend, Harry shrugged again, focusing on his lunch. “That's just the way I see it.”

“No, you're right,” Ginny stated, awe in her voice. “I never thought about it like that, but you're right.”

Chris shook his head. “I hadn't thought about it like that, either. In the Outside world, human experimentation is frowned upon. In the Wizarding world, testing things on animals is unacceptable. Sometimes, it makes you wonder just who is smarter.”

Harry couldn't argue with that. In his experience, Muggles were ahead of Wizarding society in some things — like technology. The simple telly was a prime example. Muggles were able to see as well as hear the action during a football game on the telly. Harry thought it would be brilliant to be able to see a Quidditch game without having to physically be there. There were times when going to a game was simply not possible. Perhaps some Muggle-born, one day, would figure out how to make it work.

The three friends spent the remainder of the day relaxing and playing games, their homework having already been completed. Harry felt gratitude towards his friend for subtly challenging Ginny to various games, keeping her spirits up. He tried to convey his thanks to Chris with a simple look and received a nod in return. Apparently, Chris had understood.

0000


Tuesday evening found Harry, Ginny, and Chris in the commons area finishing up their homework. Or rather, Ginny was finishing her Transfiguration essay detailing the requirements needed to correctly turn a hedgehog into a pincushion as she'd had trouble with it during class. Harry and Chris, on the other hand, had pulled out their History of Magic. Several pieces of folded parchment marked various places in Harry's text.

“So, what is it that you have to do?” Ginny asked after watching the boys flip through their books.

“We're supposed to make a re-enactment of some event or portray someone in Magical history, only we're supposed to modernize it using today's language. There's bonus points for costumes — modern clothes, of course.” Harry then grinned at Ginny. “Well, we were right. The class isn't boring.”

“That actually does sound like fun. Did Mr. Lloyd put you in groups? Or is this a solo project?”

“Chris and I are working together. There were a few actual groups, but mostly people just paired up.”

“How about this guy, Harry?” Chris asked, staring down at a page in his book. “His name is Mopsus. He was an Ancient Greek Seer who defeated a fellow Seer by the name of Calchas in a competition of their powers.”

“But what kind of competition could they have had? They were Seers. Sounds like a long and boring competition.”

Chris shrugged. “Could be. We'd have to look into it more.”

Harry flipped through his textbook some more, then stopped. Laughing, he said, “Or we could try this guy. Actually, he was a vampire. Amarillo Lestoat.” Harry began to read a bit out loud. “Born in 1776 here in America, he had blond hair, wore gaudy clothes and was known for boring his victims completely to make it easier to bite them. He even wrote a book to accomplish that called A Vampire's Monologue.”

Chris also began to laugh. “I've seen his Chocolate Frog card. We could actually have some fun with that one. Do you want to use him?”

Harry shrugged. “Yeah, sure. If that Greek had been a dueler, it would have been fun, but a Seer competition? What would we do? Flip a Galleon or something and predict the outcome? Besides, I'm already more acquainted with a Seer than I really want to be.”

Chris' humor turned to sheepishness. “Yeah, sorry. Didn't think about that.”

“It's fine. So, are we in agreement? This vampire, then?”

Chris nodded his agreement, turned to the page that contained the information on Amarillo Lestoat, and began to read. Harry pulled out a blank sheet of parchment and began to make a few notes on things he found interesting.

“But how is he related to the History of Magic?” Ginny asked. “He's a magical creature, yes, but did he actually do something special?”

Harry skimmed over the information in his book. “He didn't, but he was finally killed in 1977, so he was pretty old.”

“And,” Chris added, “he wasn't killed the usual way with garlic and a wooden stake through his heart. No, someone tricked him into wearing some silver jewelry, which burned him, weakened him, and he couldn't heal himself. Once the jewelry was on, he couldn't take it off. Whoever had tricked him, dragged him out into a field where the sun would finish him off. No one knows exactly who the trickster was, but they know it was Amarillo in the field because the flashy clothes found there were the same ones Amarillo had worn the day before.”

“Huh. I didn't know vampires were affected by silver,” Ginny said.

“With that in common, is it any wonder why most people dislike us?” Harry asked, his voice filled with sarcasm.

Ginny threw him a fierce look. “Don't you start making excuses for them.”

“Ginny's right, Harry. Vampires — the rare, decent ones — constantly struggle against their urges. Lycans don't have that problem.”

Harry snorted in sarcastic amusement. That was something else werewolves and vampires had in common, or, at least, could have in common, but, of course, Chris didn't know that. Ginny's hand caressing his arm soothed his irritation. In gratitude, Harry captured her hand in his and gave it a squeeze, which earned him one of his favorite smiles; it was soft and full of affection. He gave her a quick nod to let her know he felt better, then let her hand go and turned his attention to Chris.

“So, which of us will be Amarillo and which will be the unknown person?”

“Well, do you prefer to avoid the outlandish clothes?”

“It doesn't really matter to me.”

Ginny, having looked at the picture of the vampire in question, began to giggle. “Oh, Merlin, he looks like a cross between Lockhart and Lucius Malfoy.”

Not knowing how Lucius Malfoy looked, Harry just had to take her word for it, but she was right in that the expression was exactly the same one he'd seen in Lockhart's pictures, and the clothes were definitely reminiscent of something the boastful, ostentatious ex-professor would wear.

“I don't know about Lucius Malfoy, but I have to agree with you on Lockhart,” Harry said, studying the photograph. “From the few pictures of Lockhart that I've seen, he and this vampire could be related.”

“What would we use for the silver jewelry?” Chris asked. “I'd hate to use something that would actually affect you.”

Harry immediately had an idea. Reaching with his left hand, he hesitated a fraction of a second before pulling off his ring and holding it up. “We can use this. It should be good enough. I'm sure more than a ring was used originally, but this should be fine. It looks close enough to real silver.”

“Alright. That's solved. So, now, all we have to decide is our roles.”

“That can be decided later. Why don't we concentrate on writing out what scene we want to do first?”

Chris shrugged. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

Harry and Chris began throwing out suggestions for modernizing the tale of the vampire, accepting some ideas and rejecting others. Therefore, Harry missed the parchment that slipped from between the pages of his textbook, but Ginny didn't.

“Did you draw these, Harry?” Ginny asked, looking at the pictures on the parchment she held, drawing Harry's attention.

Realizing what Ginny was looking at, Harry blushed. “Yeah. They're not very good at all. I was just coming up with ideas.”

“For your tattoo?” Harry nodded and waited while she perused the rudimentary drawings. Laying the parchment on the table, Ginny tapped one near the bottom. “I like this one.”

Harry smiled at the one she'd chosen. He'd liked that one the best as well. It was a profile picture of a howling wolf's head and neck, drawn by using simple branching, flowing lines. Inside the wolf, melding with the lines were the head and neck of a stag and doe — not hidden, but complementary to the wolf drawing.

“That's my favorite, too. Dad was an Animagus and his form was a stag. Uncle Remus told me that Mum's Patronus was a doe.”

“It's perfect, then,” Ginny said with a small smile. “Where do you think you want it?”

Harry shrugged. “I don't know. I don't want it to be large or anything. It's sort of a private one, I suppose, so somewhere not as readily visible.”

“The chest would probably be a good place, then,” Chris suggested. “It's a common place to put one, no one would see it unless you showed it to them, while still allowing you to see it. The back shoulder is also a common place, but you wouldn't be able to see it there.”

Harry gave it some thought then nodded. “I like that idea.” He raised a hand to the left side of his chest. “Maybe here. What do you think, Ginny?”

He waited patiently as she studied him a moment. Her full smile told him all he needed to know. Her words confirmed it. “I think it would be brilliant, Harry.” Ginny then grew a bit shy and pointed to the last picture on the parchment. “What's this one?”

Harry blushed again. He'd forgotten about that one. “Well, er, I was thinking that I'd, you know, maybe get one for us.”

“Really?” Ginny looked at him in astonishment. “You want to get one for us?”

Grinning shyly, Harry nodded. “Yeah, I do. I want this one to be visible, though. I want everyone to know that I belong to you.” Again, he shrugged. “The added bonus is that, maybe, they won't notice the ones on my neck.”

Her Beast,” Ginny recited. She looked up at Harry. “Are those flower petals under the word Beast?”

“Yeah. They're supposed to be rose petals. You know, like the magical rose in Beauty and the Beast? The musical we saw?”

Harry squirmed a bit in his seat, unsure what Ginny's reaction would be. Would she like it? Would she not? Maybe she would prefer him not to be marked up. Would she admit it if she didn't want him to get it? If she did say that she didn't want him to get either one of them, what would he do? He felt strongly about getting them, to honor his parents and Uncle Remus, as well as declaring his attachment to Ginny. Granted, the rings he and Ginny wore made that declaration, but rings could be lost or taken. This was something he really wanted to do, and he hoped she could understand that. He needn't have worried.

Ginny threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly. “That's brilliant, too, Harry. And so incredibly sweet. I love it. I almost wish I was getting one.”

When Ginny returned to her seat, Harry said, “You could. Sirius would go along with it.”

Ginny shook her head sadly. “My parents wouldn't like it, especially Mum. You think I have a temper? You've not heard Mum when she's riled. That time at Christmas was nothing compared to how she is when she really gets going.”

The mood turned somber at the mention of Ginny's mother. Harry wished some sign of Ginny's mother and brothers had been found, anything to point to the fact that they were at least still alive. Reaching for her hand, he gave it a comforting squeeze.

“I'm sorry, Ginny. I hadn't intended to bring that up.”

“I know, Harry. It's okay. I'm worried about them, of course, but I can't dwell on it. I have to believe that they'll be okay.”

As the three of them turned back to their studies, Harry's mind wandered, visualizing Ginny with a tattoo that corresponded with his, declaring to the world that she was taken. The more he thought about it, the more it appealed to him. Several times, he started to ask her what design she'd get if she could get one, but was afraid to push it.

After debating with himself for several minutes, he finally reminded Ginny of something she'd told him. “Didn't you say we should live how we want to, rather than how others think we should?”

“Harry -”

“I know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have anything. Forget I said it.”

It surprised Harry when Ginny placed a hand on his arm. “No, you're right, Harry. If Sirius agrees, since he's my current guardian, then I should be able to get it if I want it. Where are you thinking about putting this one?” Ginny asked.

Again, Chris piped up with a suggestion. “If you're wanting visibility, I'd say the arm or lower leg, though on the leg it would only be visible when you're wearing shorts.”

Harry studied his right arm, currently uncovered with his uniform shirt sleeve rolled up to his elbow. “Maybe here,” he said, running a finger over the top of his arm in the area just above his wrist. “Or the same place on the other arm. I'm not sure.”

“I like that idea,” Ginny said, nodding her head, studying the places Harry had indicated. “It would be easy to see or show.”

“Any idea what you might want, Ginny, if you were to get one?”

Ginny looked at Harry a moment, slid the parchment full of drawings close to her again, and began to draw underneath the one Harry had drawn to symbolize them. Harry watched, then beamed. His Beauty, it said, with what was supposed to be a rose between the words, the first part of the word Beauty being cupped by the flower head and leaves. Finished, Ginny slid the parchment back.

“It's perfect, Ginny,” Harry told her.

“Well, I'm sure whoever actually does the tattoo can draw it better, but that's what I'd get, I think.”

“I like it. I'll talk to Sirius about getting them as soon as I see him.”

0000


As Ginny, Harry, and Chris sat waiting on the front porch for Cassi, their special instructor, early Sunday morning in late October, Ginny's gaze wandered down to her left hand where it rested between both of Harry's, their fingers laced together. Currently, Harry was absently tracing the words and rose inked into her skin, arching across the top of her arm just above her wrist, like a bracelet, with the thumb of his other hand. She still couldn't believe she'd actually done it, even three days later. However, seeing it there — and the other half on Harry's left arm — filled her with immense satisfaction. Considering its location, nothing about the marking was large, but it was still big enough to be noticed and easily read.

Ever since she and Harry had talked about the secret he'd kept the boy at the restaurant from mentioning, Ginny felt emotionally closer to Harry than ever. She saw their tattoos as outward expressions of that closeness. Ginny smiled to herself. The way their hands were positioned, the tattoos formed a single line, completing the phrase. She felt like giggling. Ever since they'd been tattooed, Harry had paid hers special attention, always running a finger or thumb over it, acting much like he did with her hair.

Dragging her gaze from their hands, she looked up to see Harry's expression. He seemed far away. “Alright, Harry?” Ginny asked, concern lacing her voice. “How are you feeling?”

“The full moon was four days ago, Ginny. I'm feeling fine.” Her eyebrows rose at that, forcing Harry to edit his statement. “Much better than I was. I'll be fine.”

With a gentle smile, Ginny acknowledged, “I know. I just can't help worrying about you.”

Leaning over, Harry kissed Ginny's cheek. “I know, and I thank you for it.”

“Any news on that potion, Harry?”

Turning to his other side, Harry said, “Mr. Philter just began brewing it, so it'll be a while yet. I'm really hoping it works, but I also know that it'll be a lot of trial and error. The last time I tried it, it seemed sensitive to a person's age or build.” Harry laughed. “I'll just have to be patient.”

At that moment, Cassi arrived. The three students stood and joined her at their usual training spot. “Okay, you three,” she addressed them, “you've been doing well with the other spells I've taught you. Now, I'm going to teach you how to block those spells while on the move. What I'm going to teach you is an old variation of the Shield Charm. It's incantation is Protego Mobilus. Now, a regular Shield Charm will work against the spells I've taught you, but this one is special as this shield envelops you and will move with you. The drawback is that it takes a lot of concentration to maintain it, leaving you unable to go on the offensive, and it's rather draining.”

“Is that why it's not in use anymore?” Ginny asked.

“Yes and no. When the Wizarding population began to be attacked by those who feared our abilities, some grew complacent in their abilities to fend off such attacks, therefore, saw no reason to move around. Subsequently, in their minds, there was no longer a use for a mobile shield.”

“Well, that's just stupid,” Harry retorted. “What about attacks from each other? Surely, the shield would have been useful then.”

“You'd think so, wouldn't you? But no, during these 'trials', as they were called, the Wizarding community banded together against its common enemy. Believe it or not, there were very few disagreements at that time.” Cassi had the three teens spread out, with several feet between them. “Now, history lesson over for the moment. The wand movement is simple. As you cast the spell, starting with your wand tip at your head, trace it down your body like so.”

She demonstrated the motion, finishing with a quick flick outward. Ginny saw the shimmer of a bubble form around Cassi before it faded away, only to become vaguely visible as Cassi moved around. Ginny worried she wouldn't have enough power to fuel the shield. She had no doubt Harry would manage. She'd already seen him perform spells that were supposedly beyond his level. Ginny was also fairly certain Chris was strong enough as well. He may not have picked up their normal spells for school as quickly as Harry, but he definitely wasn't under-powered.

“Ginny, please try to cast the Shield Charm that I've shown you.”

Ginny blushed, thoroughly embarrassed to have been caught not paying attention. She looked over at the boys and found Harry watching her quizzically. The tell-tale shimmer around him told her he'd successfully cast the spell. Bracing herself for failure, Ginny raised her wand to her head, then perfectly mimicked the necessary motion while speaking the incantation. To her absolute surprise, a protective bubble formed around her.

“Afraid you wouldn't be able to do it?” Cassi asked, amused. “Don't sell yourself short, Ginny. Size is no indication of power.”

Ginny's cheeks heated again, but she smiled. “My brothers, Fred and George, say that all the time.”

“Well, then, you should listen to them.” Noticing the boys' shields had dropped, she nodded at them. “It isn't as easy as you thought, is it? I think we'll practice holding the shield as long as possible. Cast it, then move around. It's really the only way to get a feel for how much power and concentration it will take to sustain it.”

By the time they'd finished for the day, Ginny felt tired. She couldn't believe how taxing that shield was! After a quick shower, she plopped herself onto the sofa next to Harry, who had just returned from his own shower. Leaning into his side, she dropped her head onto his shoulder, barely suppressing a yawn. She smiled tiredly when she felt his arm wrap around her and pulled her closer.

“It's a good thing it's Sunday,” Chris said through a yawn. “I don't know that I'd make it to class otherwise.”

Ginny couldn't have agreed more. Snuggling into Harry's side, she let her consciousness drift, sounds of the commons area fading into background. She'd nearly fallen asleep when she was suddenly jostled. Looking up to see what was happening, she saw that Harry wasn't looking at her. Following his line of sight, she spied Sirius in Miss Lena's office. They appeared to be discussing something important. As she watched, Sirius stepped out of the office, looked right at her and Harry, and motioned them over.

Energy suddenly filling her, Ginny jumped up, helped Harry to his feet, then led him across the room. “What's going on?” she asked once they had joined Sirius.

“Harry, Ginny,” Miss Lena greeted them solemnly, “please sit down.”

Ginny, her gaze dancing between the two adults, had the feeling she wasn't going to like what was about to be said. Her hand still in Harry's, he led her to the chairs, taking the one on the right for himself. Gripping tightly to Harry's hand, she waited to hear what Miss Lena and Sirius had to say.

“As you both are aware, the Aurors have been unsuccessful at finding any clues to Ginny's mother and brothers' disappearances. Sirius and I have been working on discovering the school here in the States that was slated to participate in the Tournament. It took some doing, but we finally did. Fortunately for us, it didn't take much convincing to let us take their place.”

“What we're saying, kiddo, is that you'll be entering and competing in this Tournament.”

Even though she'd known it was a likelihood, the news still was a shock. Her breath froze in her lungs as fear for Harry churned in her stomach. Tears threatened to spill down her cheeks, but she fought them. Now was not the time to break down. She needed to be strong for Harry, to help him through the upcoming nightmare of a competition. Turning in Harry's direction, she saw he wore an expression of fierce determination. Ginny wondered how he could be so calm about it, then decided he'd probably never let himself believe her mum and brothers would be found, therefore had actually expected to be entering. It was the only thing that made sense to her. She squeezed his hand, offering her support and what comfort she could. In return, he gave her a small smile and nod of his head.

“This is how it all will work. The one deciding the champions will be Charmed to prevent cheating. In other words, a person cannot write someone else's name on a piece of parchment and turn it in. I'll talk to a few students here to see if they would be willing to participate in a little deception. The few I pick will write each other's names down and turn them in, therefore eliminating themselves from the possible candidates from our school, leaving you since you'll have written your own name.”

“What if something goes wrong? What if the judge can't tell who had been honest and who hadn't? What happens if my name doesn't get chosen?”

Sirius rubbed his chin in thought a few moments before suggesting, “I suppose Harry could be the only one to actually enter from this school. The judge wouldn't have a choice but to pick him.”

“That's definitely an idea,” Miss Lena agreed. “We'll talk it over with the chosen delegates and see what they'd prefer. In the meantime, Harry, you'll be excused from any lengthy assignments unless it's absolutely necessary for your understanding of the lesson. You will be allowed to focus more on strategies and spells that will help you through the tasks that are to come.” Miss Lena's expression turned mischievous. “While we as staff members aren't allowed to help you, you may find some of your upcoming lessons very valuable, and would do well to learn as much as you can.”

“Thanks, Miss Lena. With any luck, the spells Chris, Ginny, and I have been learning this past month will help.”

“I imagine they might,” Miss Lena replied with a grin. “What's more, she's not considered staff as Sirius is the one who hired her. Sirius, you might see if you can keep her on for a while longer.”

“I do believe I will. I can help you, too, Harry.” He gave a bark of laughter. “With Chris, Ginny, myself, Cassi, and — in their own way — your teachers helping you, you'll have all the assistance you could possibly need, and the other champions will have to work hard if they want to beat you.”

Ginny felt Harry relax and knew he felt better about the entire thing. He proved it when he laughed. “Imagine everyone's surprise when I show up at Hogwarts for the selection of the champions.”

We, Harry,” Ginny stated unequivocally. “When we show up at Hogwarts. You're not going without me. We're in this together, just as we are in everything else. I'm going with you for every task, too.” Ginny turned her determined gaze to Miss Lena, as if daring her Headmistress to contradict her.

Miss Lena held up her hands in supplication. “Don't worry, child. I'm certain that can be arranged. It would be good for Harry to have his best source of support with him.” To Harry, she asked, “If it could be arranged, and if he was interested, would you like Chris to go along with you?”

Ginny found Harry's surprise somewhat amusing. He still had a hard time believing people wanted to be with him or cared about him, even after the last year. Squeezing his hand, she drew his gaze. Smiling at him, she encouraged him to agree. It would be good for him to have strong support through it all, not that Hermione, Ron, and Neville wouldn't support him, of course. One could never have too much support.

“Er, yeah, sure,” Harry eventually answered the Headmistress. “If he wants to, sure. Why not?”

“Good. Then let me talk to Chris and some other students. Don't worry. It'll all work out. On Thursday, we'll be traveling to Hogwarts for the champion selection. The selections will take place on Monday and we'll return afterwards.”

Ginny did some calculations and realized Monday was the anniversary of the deaths of Harry's parents, the day he'd always gone to visit their graves. Surely, they'd allow him the time to do so again. Harry's grip tightened on her hand, and she realized Harry was well aware of what day Monday was. She glanced in his direction. All color that he'd had was gone. Giving his hand a comforting squeeze, she turned to Sirius, to insist Harry have the time to go to the cemetery that day, but something in his expression kept her silent. A memory bubbled up to the surface of her mind. Remus had once said that Sirius knew Harry visited his parents' graves on that day, but had never visited himself. Ginny hoped Sirius would be willing to take Harry.

“Thanks, Miss Lena,” Harry said, his voice a bit strained.

“You're quite welcome, Harry, though there's no reason to thank me. You're the one taking on all the risks. You're the one who should be thanked. Just know that I'll do whatever I can to help you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some conversations to get to.”

Ginny stood, waited while Harry gained his feet, then led him back to the commons area to the sofa they'd been sitting on. Turning, she pushed Harry onto it before cuddling up to his side. Neither of them said anything when Miss Lena called Chris into her office. After a moment of tense silence, Ginny looked up at her boyfriend. He seemed lost in thought.

“What are you thinking?” she asked softly.

“Nothing much. Just going over spells in my head, trying to decide if there's a particular family of spells I should concentrate on learning.”

“Oh.” His reply filled Ginny with incredible guilt and sadness. Harry shouldn't be forced to put his life on the line for her family. Her throat began to close up with unshed tears. She just barely managed to whisper, “I'm so sorry, Harry.” Then, she buried her face into his neck.

“Sorry? Ginny, you have nothing to be sorry for.” With what seemed to be minimal effort on his part, Ginny felt herself moved so that she sat across his lap, one arm draping over her and the other gently running through her hair. “It'll be okay, Ginny,” he said to her softly. “Nothing will happen to me. I have a destiny to fulfill, remember? I don't see Fate giving that to me and then allowing me to be killed in some Tournament.”

Ginny kept her face buried against Harry's neck as her tears continued to fall. “You shouldn't be forced to risk your life for my family. They wouldn't want you to.”

“What about what I want? Ginny, I want to do this. They're important to you, and therefore, important to me. They saw past what I am to who I am, despite the less than desirable way they discovered my secret, and acted normally around me.”

Ginny made a tearful disagreeing sound. “Not Charlie. He's been a git.”

“Even Charlie,” Harry insisted. “He's acted as any older brother would.”

“Don't make excuses for my brother, Harry,” Ginny rebutted, a little heat in her voice. “He refused to see what was right in front of him, refused to listen to either of us. He could stay wherever he's at for all I care.”

“You don't mean that; I know you don't.”

Instantly contrite, Ginny sniffled some more, snuggling further into Harry's arms. “No, I don't. I will, however, hex him if he so much as looks at us funny whenever I see him again.”

“There's my girl,” Harry praised softly.

Ginny smiled despite her sorrow, then sighed when she felt the kiss Harry placed on her head. Feeling calmer and somewhat drowsy, she returned the favor, placing a lingering kiss against Harry's neck. Sliding her left hand up his chest and beyond to play with the hair at his nape, Ginny sighed again, this time in contentment. She felt like giggling when she felt the mostly suppressed shudder that went through him, a reaction he always seemed to have when she played with his hair in that particular spot.

“Thanks, Harry,” Ginny whispered.

“No need to thank me. I'd be a terrible boyfriend if I couldn't make you feel at least a little better.”

“You're the best, Harry.”

“How would you know? Had many boyfriends before me?”

Ginny actually did giggle then. She loved it when Harry was playful, which had been a lot more often once they'd left England. She'd come to recognize it as a sign of when he felt absolutely comfortable and relaxed, something she took great pride in knowing he felt he could be that way with her.

“Well,” she said, drawing out the word, “you're not the first boy I've kissed.”

Harry made a growling sound in his throat. “Don't remind me.”

Even though his tone was light, there was a bit of an edge to it. Sitting up so that she could look into Harry's gorgeous green eyes, she said, “You're infinitely more skilled in that area than he was.”

Harry snorted. “Considering his age, I should hope so. That doesn't really make me feel better, though. I could still be terrible at it and you wouldn't know it.”

Leaning close so she could whisper in his ear, she told him, “Considering how I feel when you kiss me, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.”

Ginny delighted in the blush that stained Harry's cheeks despite the smug smile he wore. Their attention was diverted from each other when Chris returned to the chair he'd previously occupied.

“Of course I'd go with you, Harry,” Chris said. “Do you really think I'd let you go back to Hogwarts without me? I told you I wanted to help you, and that includes lending support. I'm actually interested in seeing another school. The castle itself sounded awesome.”

“It is,” Ginny agreed, “with all its secret passageways. I think I got lost a hundred times that first week I was there.”

“Thanks, Chris. I appreciate you wanting to go with me. And your parents are okay with you going?”

“Absolutely! Miss Lena contacted them through the Floo. They think it's a great learning experience for me, to see how other cultures do things.”

“Good.”

As the three of them sat around talking, Ginny suddenly remembered the Herbology project she was supposed to be helping her friends with. “Oh, Harry, I have to go. I promised Amelie and Raven that I'd help them this morning. Mr. Hadley has the class divided into groups for projects. We're supposed to choose two magical plants — or even a magical and Muggle plant — that we'd cross-breed and tell what characteristics the new one would have, including why we chose those plants. I should go.”

“Of course, Ginny. Go. Have fun.”

Ginny giggled. “Not likely, but who knows? It might turn out to be interesting. We're not really cross-breeding them. Neville would probably be disappointed at that.”

Harry laughed. “Probably so. Okay, see you at lunch, then.”

Ginny agreed to that, kissed Harry, bid Chris goodbye, then dashed to her room for her Herbology text, hoping to find her roommates there. The room was empty. Grabbing her text, some parchment, quill, and ink, she rushed back through the commons area, darted through the back door, and sprinted toward the library, hoping her friends were there.

Finding them on the second floor buried in various Herbology books, Ginny sat at their table. “I'm so sorry for not being here earlier.”

Raven looked up from the notes she was taking to smile in Ginny's direction. “Don't worry about it, Ginny. Amelie and I saw you earlier. You looked as if you needed to be exactly where you were.” She hesitated a moment before continuing. “News about your mom and brothers?”

“No, not really. Just news that I had a feeling was coming. It still hit me kind of hard.”

Amelie took Ginny into a one-armed hug. “We understand. It's hard to think of other things when your loved ones are in danger.”

Ginny nodded ruefully. “I couldn't agree more.” Taking a deep breath, Ginny focused on the task at hand. “So, what have you done so far, and what can I do?”

0000


The next few days passed quickly. Harry nearly laughed when he realized what they were to be studying in his classes. In Charms class on Monday morning, they'd learned how to conjure holographic images. The more thought and power put into it, the more realistic the image appeared. In Potions class that afternoon, Mr. Philter had them making simple healing salves, ones that could easily be made if they were lost somewhere and had some scratches, scrapes, small puncture wounds, or even minor burns. In Transfiguration, they practiced changing leaves into jars. For those who had successfully managed that, they had to take it another step and turn the jar into a canteen.

Tuesday saw his Herbology class learning to identify edible plants in the wild, what parts of the plants could be eaten, and how best to prepare them. In Defense Against the Dark Arts, they began working on the Patronus Charm, Miss Ward saying it was never too early to attempt to learn it, and that even a wisp of silver could buy the person enough time to escape. Harry had definitely been intrigued with that one and wondered if he'd be able to actually conjure a corporeal Patronus. He also wondered what form it would take if he could conjure one. For History of Magic, he and Chris had to act out their scenario of Amarillo Lestoat's capture, for which they earned Outstandings.

In Care of Magical Creatures on Wednesday, they studied Ashwinders. Harry thought it would be fun to actually converse with the one he was supposed to be studying but held back, uncertain how everyone would react. In Charms class, they continued with the holographic practice. For Ancient Runes, they simply studied individual runes and worked on translating Runic passages.

Now it was early Thursday morning and Harry was sitting in the commons area with Chris, magically expanded overnight bags stuffed with clothes and toiletries for the next four days, as well as the school supplies they'd need for Friday and Monday, as it was required of them to attend classes. He and Ginny had decided to surprise Hermione, Ron, and Neville so they hadn't mentioned their upcoming appearance at Hogwarts. Harry grinned just thinking about the expressions he was likely to see. No doubt there would be a lot of finger pointing and whispers, too.

Harry looked around him. Two seventh year boys stood chatting not far away, their own bags at their feet. One of them noticed Harry's gaze and nodded to him. Harry returned the gesture. From what he understood, the two of them had volunteered to be part of the “decoy” party. They had actually seemed excited at the prospect of going, the few times he had talked to them. They had asked about what they should expect, what to pack as far as weather, etc.

From the girls' corridor came Ginny and three seventh years, bags on their shoulders, Amelie, and Raven. Harry imagined Ginny's roommates were there to say goodbye. As he and the others were considered representatives of Magnolia House, they were each dressed in their uniforms. Harry stood and reached out a hand as Ginny drew close to him. He kissed her cheek.

“Are you ready?” he asked her, staring into her bright brown eyes.

She answered him with a smile. “I am. It'll be good to see everyone again, to actually be there for a bit.” Ginny giggled. “I can't wait to see their faces.”

Amused, Harry laughed with her. “My thoughts exactly.”

At that moment, Sirius and Miss Lena walked out of the Headmistress's office, followed by Alex. Miss Lena had a few words with Miss Green and Mr. Becker. Harry assumed they would be in charge while Miss Lena was gone. When it was obvious his Headmistress and her husband were going to say goodbye in a personal way, Harry looked away, his cheeks prickling with heat. He hadn't been around very many adults who openly showed affection for one another, so the display embarrassed him a little.

Sirius continued walking toward them with a length of rope in his hand. “Everyone gather around and get a hand on this. It'll be activating shortly. Make sure you have your bags as there won't be any returning until Monday.” Once everyone had complied, he continued his instructions. “Now, as this is an international Portkey, it will take a little longer than your normal one, so don't be surprised when we don't arrive as quickly as usual.”

Miss Lena joined them, smiled at them all, then wrapped a finger around the rope. “I know I don't have to say this, but I expect your best behaviors while we're there. Their ways of doing things will likely be different from ours. That doesn't make them wrong. Think of it as not just representing our school, but our country as well. Lastly, thank you to those who volunteered to go. Your willingness is greatly appreciated.”

Ginny bid her friends a quick goodbye. That was all she managed before the Portkey activated. Harry suddenly found himself nervous to be going back to Hogwarts, not due to the Tournament, but to the fact he'd be stared at and whispered about once again. Mentally sighing, he knew he'd simply have to endure it as there was nothing he could do about it.

When his feet hit the earth, Harry stumbled a bit but kept his feet. On either side of him, Ginny and Chris also lost their balance a bit. As Miss Lena stepped up to greet Professor Dumbledore, Harry heard the buzzing whispers that repeated his and Ginny's names. Looking around, he found they'd landed inside the winged boar gate, not far from the castle itself. He looked up at the imposing building and, to his surprise, his anxiety faded away. The thought foremost in his mind was that he had returned to the school his parents had attended.

“Wow. It really is a castle.”

Harry looked over his shoulder at Chris and smiled. Chris was currently staring up at the castle's towers, his mouth agape, eyes wide. “I told you it was,” Harry said with amusement.

“I know, but ...”

That seemed to be the others' sentiments, too, as they stared up at the building before them. They were in for a bit of a shock. Harry's attention shifted from his fellow students when he felt the rope being pulled from his hand. Sirius was slowly coiling the rope to a more manageable length. Once it was coiled, Sirius shrunk it and slipped it into his pocket.

Ginny grabbed his arm, then pointed off to her left. “Harry, look!”

Looking in that direction, he quickly found what she was pointing at — or rather who she was pointing at. Hermione stood looking at his group with delight on her face. He could practically see the questions for them whizzing through her mind. Beside her, Ron stood, mouth agape, obviously shocked to see them. On Hermione's other side stood Neville, wide smile on his face, his hand raised in greeting. Grinning, Harry returned the gesture.

Miss Lena returned from her chat with Dumbledore and addressed the group. “We've been assigned our rooms. Harry, Ginny, you'll be staying in Gryffindor tower since you were there last year. Chris, you'll be with them.” She turned to the older girls. “You three will be in Ravenclaw tower. Those students have blue on their uniforms. I'm told a Prefect, a student leader, will take you there.” To the older boys, she said, “You two will be in the Hufflepuff dorms. Those students have yellow on their uniforms. One of their Prefects will show you where you need to go.” Lastly, she addressed Sirius. “I'm told you're allowed to take the quarters you had before. The current Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher has chosen other quarters.”

Sirius nodded his understanding. “Thank you.”

Miss Lena addressed her students again. “Let's go mingle with our host school, shall we?”







Reviews 118
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear