Search:

SIYE Time:16:57 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Unity in Diversity
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 118
Summary: Sequel to The Beast Within. Highly reccommend you read that first. Harry and Ginny make new friends, find a few rivals, and generally enjoy themselves until danger is thrust upon Harry once again.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61529; Chapter Total: 2811





Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta, Arnel, for all her hard work. A little trivia for you. Hedwig Village, Ogden, and Aurora are actual places in those states. Tituba is the name of one of the accused witches when the witch trials first began in Salem.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Change is the end of something you know and the beginning of something else that you don't know. Something new that holds opportunities.
― Kholoud Yasser


The remainder of the day went well, though Harry walked with a slight limp for another hour after they left the hospital. Feeling a bit drowsy from the Skele-Gro, he dozed as Sirius drove them to a safari park where, according to Sirius, animals roamed free, coming right up to the park vehicles to be fed. Harry awoke with a start as Sirius parked their car.

Armed with buckets the size of their school cauldrons filled with feed, the three joined a group waiting to go. The vehicle they were to ride in was a bus with two long openings where windows normally would be were cut into each side. Two lengthy rows of seats were placed back to back and faced the sides. Thankfully, the top had remained to keep the sun from beating down on them. The bus parked in front of the group and Harry, Ginny, and Sirius climbed aboard, sitting facing the right side. Ginny fidgeted excitedly.

Before long, the seats filled and the engine started. Within minutes, deer bounded up, looking for a handout. Everyone oohed and ahhed. Ostriches and emus ran up to their vehicle, ducked their heads under the canopy, and pecked feed right out of their buckets. One ostrich pecked a person's cap right off his head!

“Now that's a big bird,” Sirius stated, shaking his head in disbelief.

Harry snorted. “And Malfoy thought Buckbeak was a giant chicken. Imagine what he'd say now.”

Ginny giggled. “He'd tell his father about it, of course.”

The two teens burst out laughing at their accurate portrayal of their Hogwarts nemesis. Sirius chuckled along with them. As their vehicle moved on, the ostriches followed, stretching out their slender necks and flapping their wings, apparently not wanting to give up their free meal, causing Ginny to laugh so hard she had tears running down her cheeks. Harry laughed at the birds' antics, but he laughed even harder at Ginny's reaction.

Despite the fact that the giant birds could run fast, they gave up fairly quickly. Harry figured they just didn't want to work so hard for their food. Dromedary camels, llamas, alpacas, and various exotic bovine species came along next. A loud disgusted shout sounded from down the row. Looking to see what was the matter, he saw a man in the other row wiping his face, a camel sniffing around the feed buckets being held by the people next to the man.

“I've heard they spit,” Sirius commented, “but I've always thought it was a myth. Well, at least it wasn't me this time.”

Harry snickered, remembering Sirius' unfortunate incidents at the Aviary they had visited in Pittsburgh. Still grinning, he cheekily said, “The day's not over yet.”

Harry's statement turned out to be slightly prophetic. Something did happen later. After zebras, gazelles, antelope and horses, giraffes were the last animals they saw, and the long-necked creatures weren't shy about looking for food. One particular animal seemed to be overly interested in Ginny, sniffing her hair and face. Then, it opened its mouth and licked her with its long gray-black tongue.

“Oh!” Ginny squealed, swiping at her face and sputtering. “That's so … so … ew!

Harry couldn't hold back his laughter. “It likes you, Ginny! You've an admirer! Do I need to be concerned?”

“Shut it, you git!” Ginny replied, laughing.

After several minutes of dodging the giraffe's tongue–which was nearly impossible–the bus moved on, leaving the giraffe behind as it chose not to follow. Gazing at Ginny, Harry could empathize with that giraffe's fascination. He, too, was drawn to her. He practically obsessed over her hair with its various shades of red. Many times he itched to run his hand through it, just to feel its silkiness, but he curbed that impulse, fearing that, if he gave in to it too often, it would become tiresome to Ginny, though he was more worried about how playing with her hair could become more of a need for him, that he wouldn't be able to function without touching it. That could be disastrous for someone who had a destiny to fulfill involving an evil wizard bent on domination.

Then, there was Ginny's scent. Underneath that ever-present floral fragrance, there was something else, something he couldn't identify specifically but screamed the words happiness, love, home. From what he'd read at the science museum, memories and emotions were often linked with certain smells. Maybe his brain recognized something about Ginny that reminded him, subconsciously, of his time with his parents. That wasn't to say that he hadn't had those three things with Uncle Remus, but there was just something extra special about that year and a half he'd had with his mum and dad. Regardless of the reason, he felt at peace with Ginny, and he wouldn't change a thing about his life as long as Ginny was in it, even if changing his life meant having his parents back or not being a werewolf but not having Ginny. She was his beacon of light in the murkiness that was his life. He needed her and he wouldn't give her up for anything–not anymore.

Of course, her personality was what attracted him the most. She could be soft and gentle one moment, and stubborn and fiery the next. She was independent, but not to the extent that she refused help. She had a wicked sense of humor that perfectly matched his own. She was highly intelligent as was proven by her marks in school, despite having to play catch-up for what she'd missed. Harry didn't doubt for a second that Ginny spent a part of the previous summer trying to catch up on what she'd missed her first year. But most of all, she was strong. She hadn't let her brush with Voldemort weigh her down. She'd fought back to regain her sense of self. When he thought about what it must have taken to accomplish that, Harry could only shake his head in awe. He wasn't certain he had that kind of strength.

Leaning in, he whispered in her ear, “I can certainly empathize with that giraffe. I'm just as captivated by you as it was.”

Straightening, he noted with amusement the color staining Ginny's cheeks, though she beamed up at him, a smile he was certain he'd never tire of seeing. The bus rumbled to a stop at the main gate, drawing Harry's attention away from his wonderful girlfriend. Slowly, everyone exited through the back. After having sat for the past hour, it felt good stand and stretch, and Harry took full advantage of the opportunity.

“How's your leg?” Sirius asked, watching Harry somewhat anxiously.

Harry shrugged. “It's fine, not even the least bit sore. I swear.”

Sirius nodded. “Good. Not that I doubted the quality of medical care you received, really. It's just not knowing them, well, I had worried.”

Harry fought the impulse to roll his eyes at Sirius' concern, regardless of the fact that he appreciated it. “Well, don't. I'm perfectly fine.” He faced Ginny, looked into her perceptive gaze and added, “Honestly.”

After a moment, Ginny nodded to Sirius and said with a grin, “He's fine.”

Sirius chuckled, shaking his head. “Lily could do that, too. She always knew when James wasn't being truthful. It frustrated James completely. She never would say how it was she could tell.”

Ginny snorted. “Of course she didn't. Why would she reveal something like that and lose such an accurate tool?”

Sirius barked out a laugh. “Why, indeed? Come on. Ready for our next destination?”

“Sure, but can we eat first? I'm starved.”

Sirius consulted his watch. “It's closing in on noon, so there's plenty of time to stop before we have to be at the airport.”

“Where are we going to next?” Ginny asked as they returned to their car.

Sirius grinned. “We're taking another trip to the ocean. This time, it might be more like what you imagined.”

“Really?” Ginny squealed in excitement. “Are we going to get to play in the water, or are we taking another tour?”

With a laugh, Sirius promised, “No tours. You can play as long as you like. Also, this will be our last stop before arriving at the school.”

Harry noted that Ginny's excitement dampened slightly, and he wondered about it. The news that they were nearing the end of their journey invoked mixed reactions inside. While he was eager to see where they would be for the next ten months, the thought that he wouldn't be in such close proximity to Ginny all the time made his chest ache a bit. Knowing she was within reach whenever he felt the need to reach out to her was a huge comfort. Harry thought, perhaps, he had come to rely on her presence, so maybe it was best that they'd nearly reached the end of the trip.

Injecting cheer into his voice, he forced himself to smile. “I can't wait to see the school. I wonder how different it'll be from Hogwarts. It'll be nice to have a few days to relax before the term starts.”

“You think there'll be house-elves?” Ginny asked once they were back on the road, heading for a restaurant.

“There would have to be, wouldn't there? I mean, there'll be a lot of students. That's a lot of cooking, cleaning, and laundry. Not to mention grounds-keeping.”

“True. What do you think the professors will be like? I hope the Potions professor is better than Snape. I'd really like to understand the reasons for stirring a certain way or chopping things a certain size.”

Harry snorted. “Can't be any worse than Snape, so whoever is teaching is bound to be better.”

The teens discussed aspects of the school they were interested in the entire drive to the restaurant, with Sirius adding a vague comment periodically. After lunch, it was off to the airport. Before too long, they were back in the air heading southeast to Gulfport, Mississippi.

0000


About an hour and a half later, the plane had landed and they were checking into their last hotel, which happened to be close to the airport. Harry breathed a sigh of relief. The air outside was hot and sticky. He'd already wiped sweat out of his eyes twice, and his shirt felt as if it was clinging to him. Pinching it, he pulled it away from his body, hoping to get some air flow underneath it. The nice thing he could say about the air here was the saline smell. It was somehow comforting and exotic at the same time. Though the air in Virginia had a similar scent, it hadn't invoked the same feelings. Harry could only guess why that was. Perhaps it had been due to the full moon, and he'd been anxious over that. Perhaps it was just knowing that this was their last stop. Regardless of the reason, Harry felt relaxed here.

Beside him, Ginny moaned and pulled her braided hair to the top of her head and held it there. “I can't wait to get into the water. It has to be an improvement over this stickiness.”

“Agreed.”

Once they'd found their room and changed into their swimming costumes, Sirius drove them to a white sand beach. There, they spent the next few hours, Harry and Ginny building sand castles, partially burying Sirius in the sand, splashing in the water, and generally acting like the young teens they were. Harry immensely enjoyed not having to hide his scar, fearing he'd be recognized–though it was already mostly hidden as it was so faint. The freedom that allowed was something he knew he'd never forget.

When they tired of playing, Harry coaxed Sirius into letting him and Ginny walk down the beach a little, staying within eyesight. The two walked hand in hand, delighting in being “alone” together. As they walked, they spied a few seashells that had somehow been overlooked and a few colorful pieces of what Harry understood to be called sea glass, bits of glass from human trash that had been tumbled by the ocean into frosted, smooth-edged bits. He'd first heard of sea glass in Virginia, but they hadn't found any then. Harry pocketed what they chose to keep.

“It's hard to believe that this almost over,” Harry commented offhandedly. “I've had such a fun time.”

“I know,” Ginny agreed, squeezing Harry's hand. “It seems like we just started out yesterday. I'm excited to see the new school and all, but I'm a little sad to see this end, too. Everything we've done has been absolutely brilliant. I've seen more things, experienced more things, than I ever thought I would.” She stopped walking and faced Harry, taking his other hand in hers as well. “I've sort of become accustomed to having you around all the time, sleeping not far from me, that it'll be a bit difficult to readjust.”

Harry released one of Ginny's hands to cup her face. “I know how you feel. I'm going to miss having you so close, but it's probably for the best. Sleeping in the same room probably isn't the greatest of habits to form. I mean, Sirius would probably laugh over it, but your Mum wouldn't stand for it.”

“I know,” Ginny said with a roll of her eyes. “She can be completely unreasonable sometimes with her double-standards. It's okay for boys to play Quidditch, but a girl should never be so physical. It's okay for boys to date as many girls as they want and have fun, but a girl shouldn't out of fear of being called a tart or worse. She's so frustrating sometimes.”

Harry grinned, knowing this was old territory as Ginny had complained about her mum before. “She's just doing what mums do. She just wants what's best for you.”

Ginny sighed. “I know, but she needs to realize that what she thinks is best for me is just that–what she thinks is best. She needs to understand that what she wanted out of life isn't exactly the same as what I want. I want a career. I want to do things. I don't want to spend the entirety of my adult life at home raising kids. I just want more out of life.”

“And you'll get it. You'll fight for what you want, and you'll get it all.” Harry's grin faded as he grew serious. “I should know. You fought for me.”

“I'll fight for anything I deem important enough to have.”

Nothing else needed to be said between them. Glancing around, Harry suddenly led Ginny toward a building he suspected was a loo. On the far side of the building, where there were fewer people to see them, he pulled her close and gave in to the fierce urge to kiss her that had swept through him at her declaration. Was it the best place for a snog session? No, but it was all they had.

Long minutes later, Harry stepped back, silently calling a halt to their activity. “We should go before Sirius comes looking for us.”

Ginny nodded. “You're right.”

She looked as enthused as he felt, which was to say, not very, prompting him to kiss her again, this time quickly. Rounding the corner of the building, Harry immediately spotted Sirius walking in their direction, towels draped over one shoulder, their beach bag slung over his other shoulder. At first, Harry couldn't tell whether he and Ginny were in any trouble, but then Sirius grinned knowingly, and Harry relaxed.

“Oh, good, I'm not going to have to toss you both in the ocean to cool off,” Sirius joked once he'd reached them. “Saw you disappear around the building and thought I'd better do my godfatherly duty and make sure nothing went too far. Not that I honestly thought it would, but I had to be sure.” Harry scowled a bit, eliciting a bark of laughter from Sirius. “Hey, I had to be able to look Molly in the eye and be able to say that I was the perfect chaperone.”

“Actually, you have been,” Ginny piped up, smiling. “You've given us privacy when you could. That's more than I expected, so feel free to tell Mum that I said you were perfect. In fact, I'll tell her myself.”

“Why, thank you, Ginny. Now, anyone hungry?”

0000


That night, Ginny lay in bed, unable to sleep, her mind busily questioning what the new school would be like. On the other side of the barrier, she heard Harry sigh in frustration and restlessly move around in his own bed. It seemed she wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep. After listening to him toss and turn and let out another irritated huff, she decided to speak up.

“Can't sleep, either?” she called softly, obviously not wanting to wake the room's only sleeping occupant.

“Ginny? You can't sleep? I should be exhausted after the day we had, but I'm too wound up. Every time I close my eyes, my brain tosses out another question to ponder regarding this school. I can't seem to shut it off.”

Ginny smiled ruefully. “I know how you feel. I'm having that same problem.” A thought popped into her head, but she wasn't sure she was daring enough to ask.

“Nice to know I'm not the only one, but I'm also sorry that you can't sleep,” Harry replied.

Deciding having been a Gryffindor for two years meant something, Ginny gathered her courage and asked hesitantly, “Er, Harry, can I come over there? Maybe we can talk out our questions and eventually be able to sleep. We'd be less likely to wake Sirius, too.”

Silence stretched out and Ginny regretted having asked. She was about to tell him to forget it when he said, “Sure, okay.”

“Are you sure?” He didn't sound very certain.

“Positive,” came Harry's reply with conviction.

“Alright.”

As she climbed from her bed, she heard him rustling around, albeit quietly. Stepping around the duvet Sirius had hung for her, she noted in the weak light from the bedside clock that Harry had scooted to the opposite side of the bed, making room for her, and propping his back against the headboard. Heat burned in her cheeks and Ginny was glad for the darkness. She hadn't thought her idea through. Sharing Harry's bed, despite the fact that it was just to talk, seemed incredibly intimate, especially when he pulled back the bedclothes on her side. Forcing herself to not make such a big deal out of it, Ginny climbed in beside Harry and covered up.

After a moment, Harry asked, “What's one of the questions you have running around in your head?”

“I'm wondering how big the school is. Will there be Houses like at Hogwarts? To be honest, I'm not sure if I want there to be or not.”

“Why is that?”

Ginny gathered her thoughts before trying to explain. “In a way, I'd feel disloyal to Gryffindor, as silly as that sounds, but I think it has more to do with me wondering if Hogwarts should even Sort students, or maybe if they should at least wait until fourth or fifth year. I mean, people change as they grow up. What we think is important at age eleven isn't necessarily what we think is important at age fifteen.”

“That's certainly true, but do you think a person can change that much? Don't you think a person's core beliefs would remain the same?”

“I don't know, but how fair is it to be put in a House where you're constantly belittled, or where your Housemates steal your things? Why should someone be forced to live in that kind of environment?” Ginny could feel his eyes on her, but she continued to stare at her lap.

“Are you talking about something you experienced or someone you know?”

“Not me, but someone I used to be fairly good friends with. We've grown apart now, but I know how her Housemates treat her. It's terrible. She acts like she doesn't care, and maybe she doesn't, but it certainly doesn't seem right, to have to endure that.”

“No, I suppose it doesn't.”

“So, anyway,” Ginny changed the subject before their conversation grew too solemn. “What's worrying you about the new school?”

Harry shrugged. “I guess one of things I can't help worrying about is how people will react when they find out what I am. I'm certain they'll figure it out, or at least some will and then spread it around. Will they treat me like an outcast, or will they like me anyway?”

Ginny spent several minutes contemplating Harry's concern. Coming to a conclusion, she shared it with him. “I think they'll be different than those at home. I don't think Sirius would take us there if they weren't going to treat you nicely. I think we should rely on Sirius' judgment. He hand-picked the place for a reason.”

“True. I suppose I shouldn't judge them before I know them, and I know Sirius wouldn't intentionally take us somewhere awful. Thanks. I actually feel a little less apprehensive about that, now.”

A bubble of pride burst in Ginny's chest at being able to relieve Harry's fear. She felt like jumping for joy, but instead, told herself to calm down and replied with, “I just pointed out what you already knew, Harry.”

Harry wrapped an arm across her shoulders and pulled her into his side. “Maybe so, but you helped me realize that I knew it. I might have been up all night worrying otherwise. So, thank you.”

“You're welcome.” Harry asked her what other thing she worried about in regards to the school. “I suppose the curriculum. What if they don't teach the same things? Or what if they're way ahead of Hogwarts? I don't want to be demoted because I'm not far enough along.”

“That, I don't think you have to worry about. You're smart, and you've picked up quite a bit from working with me during the summer, some of which were advanced spells. I think you'll be just fine. Just know that, if you do have trouble, I'll help you.”

“You're going to be busy with your own work.” A little anxiety crept into her voice.

“I'm never going to be too busy for you, Ginny. I promise you that. If you need my help with something, just ask. Promise me. Promise me that you'll ask for help when you need it, regardless if it's from me or from someone else.”

Ginny ducked her head. He knew her too well. “Yeah, alright. I promise.”

The two of them chatted in hushed voices until well after midnight, even after Ginny had dropped her head to rest on Harry's shoulder. They continued talking even though they grew drowsy. Harry simply slid farther down into the bed so that they were lying down more than they were sitting up. At some point, they gave up on the conversation altogether.

Completely reclining, now, Ginny had the notion that she should probably go back to her own bed, but lying as she was, with her head tucked into Harry's neck and resting on his shoulder, his arm around her, drawing her into his side, her own arm draped across his stomach, she was incredibly comfortable and didn't have the energy to move. She tried to keep her eyes open until she felt Harry's grip on her slacken some and his breathing deepen. Knowing Harry had fallen asleep, Ginny quit fighting her own weariness and let it overtake her.

0000


Swimming in that state of consciousness between slumber and wakefulness, Ginny became aware of a few things. The first thing that registered in her mind was how warm she felt, much warmer than usual. With each inhale, a woodsy, musky scent brought to mind forests at night, though why at night, she wasn't certain. It was a very pleasant scent, and she burrowed closer to its source. Rhythmic movement against her chest pulled her to full consciousness. Instantly, her face heated in total embarrassment, though if she were honest with herself, she rather enjoyed being where she was. Oh, Merlin! How did she manage to get herself into these embarrassing situations? All she could remember was talking with Harry about their fears regarding the new school. Sometime in the night, she and Harry must have fallen asleep. Now, they were lying chest to chest, her head tucked under his chin, an arm around each other, and one of her feet rested cozily between his.

How was she going to move without waking Harry? Worse, how was she going to slide back into her own bed without Sirius knowing where she'd spent the night? She heard someone exit the loo. Bloody hell, Sirius was already up. Surely, he'd noticed them by now, so why hadn't he said anything? Was he waiting until both she and Harry were awake to explain themselves? Was he working up to a full temper so that he could yell at them like her mum would have done? She didn't think so. Sirius didn't seem to be the yelling type, but one never knew. Sleeping in Harry's bed was a serious breach of etiquette, propriety, and trust. If anything would make Sirius yell, surely this would be it. Footsteps drew close, and Ginny quickly feigned sleep, unwilling to see Sirius' expression.

A quick exhalation of air sounded over Harry, and Ginny internally braced herself for the yelling to start, so she was quite unprepared for the chuckle she heard.

“Alright, sleepyheads, time to get up. I realize you're warm and comfortable, but we need to be moving on if we want to get to New Orleans this morning.”

Harry tensed, signaling to Ginny that he had completely awakened and was quite aware of her presence. His Adam's apple bobbed and heat rose in his neck, presumably in a spectacular blush. What should she do? Should she apologize profusely, even though she wasn't truly sorry? Or should she play it off as if she and Harry sharing his bed was a normal, everyday occurrence? Harry cleared his throat, and Ginny was glad he still retained his power of speech because she certainly hadn't.

“Yes?” Sirius asked, expectantly, drawing out the word. When Harry remained silent, he added, amusement coloring his voice, “Something you wanted to say, Harry?”

“This, er, this isn't what it looks like.”

“Oh? You and Ginny were doing something other than sleeping? Because sleeping is what it looked like to me.”

More heat radiated from Harry, and Ginny could guess his blush had intensified, just as hers had at Sirius' suggestion. At least he hadn't moved away from her yet. Or was it that he was so embarrassed that he didn't want to look at her?

“Well, er,” Harry stammered, “I-I guess it is what it looks like, then, because that's all it is, er, was. We were talking about the school, wondering how different it was from Hogwarts. We must have fallen asleep. Nothing happened. I swear.”

Sirius sighed, and Ginny thought he sounded a bit exasperated. “Harry, I'm well aware that nothing happened last night other than sleeping. In my dog form, I have rather good hearing, remember? I would have known the second something other than sleeping was going on. Look, I'm not going to waste time on a lecture. There would be no point as last night was an accidental occurrence. Now, if you want to get to see your school this morning, I suggest you let each other go and get around. I'm going to go brush my teeth. If you're smart, you'll be up by the time I'm done.”

Once the door closed, Ginny steeled herself, then drew her arm from around Harry and scooted away from him enough to meet his gaze. Though his face still had a lot of color, he didn't dodge her eyes. A sheepish grin curled the corners of his mouth. He, then, winced and rubbed at the arm that she'd been lying on. Ginny instantly sat up.

“I'm so sorry!”

“Don't be. It's just fallen asleep.” Harry did look away from her, then, but only for a moment. “I, er, liked, you know, having you with me, er, sleeping.”

With the color he was now achieving, Harry definitely could pass as a Weasley relative, albeit a dark-haired one. Lucky for him, she thought it was adorable. Leaning down, she quickly kissed him. “I did, too. Now, let's get around. I'm suddenly anxious to see this school.”

Harry grinned. “Me, too.”

Harry let Ginny have the shower before him, so she rushed through it, washing her hair as quickly as she could and still do a thorough job. After wand-drying her hair, she brushed it until it shone, dressed, brushed her teeth, then let Harry have the loo. Once her things were packed, Ginny pulled out the two perfume bottles she'd bought in Philadelphia. Harry was right. She'd bought them to wear them, and there was no better day than on the day she first saw the school she'd be attending for the upcoming year. Which should she wear, though? That was the question. The first one she'd tried and really liked? Or the second one which was nearly as nice? An idea on how to choose popped into her head.

“Sirius, can you help me for a second?” Ginny walked over to where he was sitting, holding one bottle in each of her hands. “I need you to help me choose which to wear today. Take these and hide them behind your back, switch hands a few times so that I won't have a clue which one is in which hand. I'll pick a hand, and whichever bottle is in that hand will be the perfume I wear.”

“Alright.” Sirius took the bottles and began switching them behind his back, the delicate clink of the glass bottles testifying to the fact that he was, indeed, moving them. After a few moments, he stopped. “Pick a hand, Ginny.”

Randomly, Ginny tapped Sirius' right shoulder. “That one.” Sirius handed over the bottle. It was the second perfume she'd tried that day. Smiling, she took back the other bottle, as well. “Thanks.”

“Glad I could help.”

Ginny stuffed the first perfume back into her suitcase, then opened the bottle of the second, giving it a quick sniff. Its citrus-y, floral fragrance enveloped her like a sweet hug. But wait, there was something else in there, too, something she hadn't noticed before. It was … earthy? No, that didn't seem right. She took another sniff. It was as if the equivalent of a Muggle light bulb lit up as she realized what it was she was smelling. That little extra scent reminded her of Harry. She'd smelled it on him when they were cuddled up together. Why had she not noticed the added scent before? For that matter, why had she not ever noticed Harry had a scent? Thinking back on the familiarity she'd felt when she'd smelled his skin, she realized that she actually had noticed his scent, it had just been subtle before, so much so that her subconscious mind had picked it up.

Okay, so why had it been so much stronger this morning? They'd been that close before. Harry stepping out of the loo, hair wet from his shower, gave her an idea as to why it might have been so subtle all the times they'd been close before. Showering must subdue it, and in a way, that was a shame. She loved his scent. It was so perfectly Harry. Not knowing when she might get the chance to smell him again, she committed that perfect blend of Harry to memory. Whenever she needed a memory boost, or whenever she just wanted to relive that moment of waking up next to him, she could use the perfume.

Dabbing a bit on the insides of each wrist and onto her neck, Ginny, then, returned the bottle to her suitcase, eagerly anticipating this next–final–drive.

“Sirius, how long is the drive to … where did you say … New Orleans?”

Sirius nodded. “That's what I said. Your school is in New Orleans, Louisiana. It's just over an hour's drive from here.”

“So, why there?” Harry asked, tying his shoes. “Why New Orleans and not elsewhere?”

“The school came with high recommendations. I don't want to color your judgments or expectations, so I'll let you find out why on your own.”

Double-checking the room to make sure nothing had been left behind, Ginny followed the others out, tossing a last look over her shoulder before she closed the door, silently saying goodbye to their holiday fun.

0000


Ten minutes. They'd only been in the car for ten minutes and Harry was certain his nose was going to explode spectacularly. He was glad she was finally wearing the stuff, but did she have to pick that one while they were cooped up in the car for over an hour? To be fair, she had no clue how much that one bothered him. Unfortunately, she just might find out really soon. So far, he'd been able to hold it in by propping his elbow on the door and pinching his upper lip up against his nose, a trick Uncle Remus had once told him about, saying it made you look as if you were thinking rather than trying not to sneeze.

“What are thinking about?”

Harry's hand fell away as he turned his head to face Ginny. “What? Er, nothing much.” He cast about for some explanation, jumping on the one that made the most sense. “Just the school, I guess. I can't seem to stop wondering about it.”

“Well, we'll know soon enough.”

Harry tried to smile but wasn't sure he pulled it off. It felt more like a grimace. “Yeah, I suppose we will.”

They fell silent again, which was just as well, in Harry's opinion. The tingle was stronger than before, and he wasn't sure he could stifle it and talk at the same time. He sure hoped Sirius stopped for breakfast soon. In the meantime, he used another trick Uncle Remus had taught him. Using his tongue, he pressed as hard as he could against the gums of his front teeth. While it didn't take the urge completely away, it did lessen it, so that was something, at least.

Another ten minutes went by before Sirius pulled into a car park. Trying not to be too obvious about it, Harry scrambled out of the car, took a deep breath–and nearly lost the ongoing war with his nose. The instant they were inside, Harry excused himself and headed for the loo, hoping he could hold off what was coming until he was inside.

The door had barely latched when they hit. Not once. Not twice, but five times in quick succession, the fifth one stronger than the previous four. Leaning against the wall, Harry sighed in utter relief.

“Bloody hell, that felt good,” Harry muttered to himself.

How in Merlin's name was he going to survive the rest of the way? He mentally shrugged. He'd just have to find a way somehow. Sniffling quite a bit, Harry grabbed some paper towels, blew his nose, washed up, and returned to the others, who had just been shown to a table.

“Sorry,” Harry sheepishly apologized. “Emergency.”

“No reason to apologize,” Sirius replied, opening his menu.

Harry saw that Ginny was watching him, a look in her eyes that made him think she hadn't believed him or that she suspected something. Propping his menu up on its edge, he buried his face in it, focusing on what he wanted to eat.

“So,” Sirius ventured once their orders had been taken, “happy to be done with the trip finally?”

Harry shrugged. “Yes and no. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eager to see this school, but I've also had a lot of fun on this trip, more fun than I've had in a long time.”

“Good to know. That was certainly the intention. Ginny? What about you?”

“I agree with Harry. I've loved seeing a part of the world that I would never have ordinarily been able to see, but a part of me also is tired of moving so much. It'll be nice to be stationary for a long period of time.”

Sirius nodded. “I can understand that.”

For the remainder of their time at the restaurant, the trio discussed their favorite, and not so favorite, times of the trip, their favorite place that they visited and why it was their favorite. Ginny cited the obstacle course in the trees as her favorite because it was so different to the other things they'd done, though she did claim the horse ride and seeing the dolphins were close seconds. Sirius declared the go karts and the laser tag as his favorites, while Harry chose the train ride and castle as his favorites. After a moment of thought, he added the Aviary to that list, laughingly reminding the others of Sirius' misfortune. Sirius' muttering that it wasn't funny set the teens to laughing even harder.

Once breakfast was over, the three climbed back into the car. By Harry's calculations, they still had almost an hour before they'd get to the school. He feared he'd never hold out that long against that fragrance Ginny wore. Other than the fact that he had such an adverse reaction to it, it really was a pleasant scent, light and airy, and it really did seem to suit Ginny. He'd just have to find a way to deal with it. Maybe he could be desensitized to it or something so that it wouldn't bother him anymore.

Fifteen minutes later, Harry had tried the tricks that had worked earlier to no avail. Getting desperate, he tried pinching between his eyebrows, then the area between his thumb and forefinger. Neither worked. He cringed inwardly when Ginny took his hand. Of course he had to have a girlfriend who was observant. Not that he minded that, normally, but now of all times? Why couldn't she have been too caught up in her own thoughts to notice–just this once?

“You're fidgeting. Are you alright? Nervous?”

“I–” That was it. That moment of distraction cost him. Four sneezes later, Harry took a moment to revel in the reprieve he'd been given.

“Harry?”

“Oh, er, yeah, I guess I am–a bit.”

Ginny's eyes narrowed slightly as she studied him, making him really feel like squirming, but if he did that, she'd be certain something was up. Harry forced himself to be still and to meet her gaze, projecting an air of innocence, hoping like mad that she couldn't read any deception in his eyes.

“Are you getting sick on me, kiddo?” Sirius sounded a trifle worried.

“Of course not,” Harry answered, a little exasperated. “What, a person can't sneeze just because? Does it really have to mean a person is ill?”

“Well, that didn't sound like a just-because kind of sneeze. Besides, there were four of them, not just one.”

“Oh, gee, really?” Harry asked, feeling snarky. “I hadn't a clue.”

“Don't get shirty with me. I was just asking.”

“Well, don't worry. I'm absolutely fine.”

It was lie. Already, the tickle had returned, though, for now, it remained a background sensation, just enough to be noticeable but not enough to force a response. Harry sat back and idly watched the scenery fly by his window, Ginny's hand in his. After a bit, he caught a glimpse of a 'Welcome to Louisiana' sign and his stomach gave a little flutter. An enormous lake ahead intrigued him, especially when it appeared they were going to have to cross it.

“Look at the size of that lake!” Ginny exclaimed. “Are we crossing it?”

“Yes, we are.” Sirius replied somewhat distractedly as he made the turn to get onto the southbound side of the causeway, having first paid a toll fee. “It's the most direct way to New Orleans.”

“Wicked!”

Minutes later, Harry surveyed the area around them. “It feels like we're crossing the ocean, no land in sight.”

Ginny gazed out her window, Harry's window, and the front. “I wonder how far above the water we are.”

Harry had more pressing concerns. “I wonder how deep it is.”

If anything were to happen,” Sirius piped up, “you know we could get away rather easily.”

“I know, but I still wonder how deep the water is.”

Crossing the lake seemed to take an eternity, but finally they arrived on land again. Jokingly, Harry said, “I didn't think we were ever going to get across the lake.”

“You think that was bad,” Sirius laughingly replied, “imagine if we had to cross the wider section of the lake. What we just drove over was the narrow section.”

Harry shook his head in disbelief. He couldn't imagine that. He'd been nervous enough just crossing the section of the lake that they had. Sure, he knew they could Apparate away or something if an accident occurred. That didn't mean he wanted to tempt Fate, though.

Preoccupied as he'd been with the lake-crossing, Harry hadn't noticed the impending explosion until it was too late to do anything about it.

“That's it. The first thing we do when we get there, Harry, is to get you to see the matron. The last thing you need is to start the school year with a cold.”

“Sirius, I swear I'm fine.” He just needed to get out of this car. Once he could escape, he'd be back to normal. He sniffled a few times. “You'll see. It's probably just something in the air.”

Harry could have bitten his tongue. Why did he have to say that? Obviously, his brain was too busy basking in the aftermath of his sneezing fit to monitor his mouth. From the corner of his eye, he could see Ginny staring at him, speculation furrowing her brow. Great. Now, he'd done it. Ginny was nothing if not smart. She'd figure out his secret soon enough. Then, she'd feel bad for ever having bought the perfume in the first place. A part of him hoped she actually wouldn't figure it out, though he knew the chances were slim of that happening.

“Not much longer now. I promise.”

All of Harry's nerves hummed at Sirius' words. He suddenly felt very antsy to get out of the car–and it wasn't just because his nose was threatening to explode again. His eyes scanned every building they approached for some sign that it was their final destination. It wasn't until Sirius drove them into a neighborhood filled with opulent homes built on equally opulent grounds that Harry knew they were only a minute or two away. Beside him, Ginny's knee began bouncing, as she chewed her thumbnail. Apparently, she knew they were extremely close, too.

Sirius slowed and turned into a paved private drive, iron gates open wide. A light rusty-colored rock wall spanned what looked to be an entire block. Harry saw a bronze plaque that read 'Magnolia House'. Strange symbols embedded in several rocks had Harry curious as to what they were and what their purpose was. Huge Southern Live Oak trees dotted the landscape with their branches spread in multiple directions, some almost reaching the ground. As trees went, they were a bit pretty, majestic even. Spanish moss dangling from their branches gave the trees grace. Under the trees were the occasional bench or chair. The grounds were immaculately trimmed with pockets of flower gardens here and there. Off to the side, a short distance away, stood a large, diamond-shaped gazebo made of honey-toned wood, with a double-tiered roof. Harry thought he saw some comfortable chairs and low tables within it.

The school drew Harry's attention next. The building looked nothing like a school at all, but then, neither did Hogwarts. Where Hogwarts was imposing and radiated a draconian air, this place exuded warmth and compassion regardless of its size. The school actually resembled many of the large houses in the neighborhood, except this house had three sections–a main middle section and two two-story wings attached by windowed corridors. The entire building had a pale orange, stacked stone exterior. At the left and right corners of the center section's roof stood a white column of some kind of stone, possibly marble. A triangular offshoot of roof jutted out over the doorway like a portico. Underneath it sat a few benches and a round table. Harry noticed the covered porch extended along the front of the main house section, and more chairs awaited use. The door, itself, was a typical door made of the same honey-colored wood as the gazebo. It was the arch of glass and wood surrounding the door that surprised Harry. It contributed to the impression of openness that Harry first felt.

“Whoa,” Harry murmured, rubbing at his nose.

“Yeah,” Ginny breathed.

Sirius put the car in park and turned off the engine. “Well, here we are. Let's get our bags.”

Harry climbed from the car and promptly suffered another sneezing fit. When it was over, he turned in the direction of the boot to find both Sirius and Ginny watching him, Sirius with a scowl and Ginny with silent contemplation. Great. Harry had a chance of talking Sirius out of seeing the matron, but not now. Unless … Maybe he could pull Sirius aside and just explain that it was Ginny's perfume that he seemed to be allergic to. That seemed like the best idea.

As they retrieved their bags from the car's boot, a tall, thin woman with long, wavy black hair came out to greet them. She wore a dark green sundress, dangling silver earrings, a silver bangle bracelet on her right wrist and a wedding ring on her left hand. She smiled as she approached them. She didn't seem much older than Sirius.

Bonjour! Hello! Welcome to Magnolia House, NOLA's School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am Lena Roux, the Headmistress, but you may call me Miss Lena. We're a little less formal here. Or, if you're uncomfortable with that, you may call me Headmistress Lena”

Sirius shouldered his bag, then introduced himself. “I'm Sirius Black, and this is Harry Potter and Ginevra Weasley.” Harry grinned at the look Ginny gave Sirius for using her full name.

“My students from Hogwarts! Excellent! Come on inside and I'll give you a quick tour.”

Harry and Ginny exchanged glances before following their new Headmistress into the school. Harry's jaw dropped upon setting foot inside. The majority of the house was open. Only a few doors led elsewhere. Warm-toned wood covered the floor. On the ivory walls, portraits and scenery art hung, along with other flashy-colored paintings. In the middle of the room were several white wooden tables, brightly upholstered sofas and chairs. Against one wall was a large fireplace with more tables, sofas, and chairs surrounding it. The entire space currently was lit by the domed skylight above the area. Unlit candles hovered at the ceiling waiting for their turn to light the room.

Lena raised her arms. “This is our commons area where all students can mingle. It's only one of several places we have.” Indicating the small room near the front door, she said, “That is our secondary library. There, you can find Muggle books of various genres. Plus, if you know the exact book you need for your studies, you can check it out here without having to go to our main library.”

Harry peeked into the small room. He spied several placards above the shelves declaring their topics. Despite the room's size, the selection seemed quite extensive. He wondered if he'd have the time to actually read any of the books.

The Headmistress moved away from the minute library and motioned down one of the windowed corridors Harry had seen toward a door on her right, Harry's left. “That way leads to the girls' rooms.” She pointed in the opposite direction. “The boys' rooms are through there. Go ahead and drop your bags. No point in carrying them around with you.”

Harry, Ginny, and Sirius followed the tall woman as she pointed out her office, a recreation room that held many free-standing games, the infirmary, the kitchen, and the dining room that was reminiscent of Hogwarts' Great Hall in that it contained four long tables and a dais with another table, presumably for the staff. Windows along one wall lit the room well.

Through the back door, Harry found another long porch with tables and chairs. One covered walkway branched to the left and attached to a two-story building, not close enough to feel cramped but not so far that getting to class on time would be difficult, either. The same for the right side. On the opposite side of the main house was a large greenhouse. Covered walkways connected all of the buildings directly. Between the buildings, two structures stood amongst brightly-colored flowers, another gazebo and a square structure not as tall as the surrounding buildings with multiple windows in its sides.

“That is where your classrooms are,” Miss Lena said, motioning toward the double-floored building on the left. “The greenhouse for Herbology is there in the middle. If you need the library, simply follow the other covered walkway.” She pointed out the branch to the right that led to another two-story building with one wall nearly comprised of windows. “Staff quarters are on the other side of the library with a working Floo that leads to the commons area. The building across from it is our pool, which is open until nine o'clock each evening. Care of Magical Creatures class usually convenes between the classroom building and the greenhouse, though we do have a stable for inclement weather.” Lena pointed to the skinny structure. “The garconnière was moved from an outlying area and was placed here. It is our owlery.”

Harry gasped. “Hedwig!”

Miss Lena smiled at him. “The snowy owl? She's beautiful. Go say hello. I'm sure you've missed her.”

Harry didn't need to move anywhere, however. A white form flew through one of the windows and landed on Harry's outstretched arm. A broad smile stretched his lips as he rubbed his friend's head.

“How are you, girl? It's good to see you again.” Harry laughed when she affectionately nipped his finger. “I know. It was a long trip, but don't worry. This is where we'll be for a while. I'm warning you, now, though, that I plan on sending my friends some letters this year, so you'll be making that trip again.” Hedwig once more nibbled Harry's finger. “Maybe this weekend, alright?” Hedwig bobbed her head, then took flight, gently cuffing both Harry and Ginny with a wing.

Back inside, Harry, Ginny, and Sirius followed Miss Lena to a door next to the corridor she had indicated led to the girls' rooms. She raised her hand to knock, but turned to them instead.

“I realize things will likely be very different to what you're used to. If you have any questions, don't hesitate ask. Here at Magnolia House, we have a Girls' Dean and a Boys' Dean. They oversee all the general things, from counseling to discipline. Ginevra–”

Ginny winced a little. “I'm sorry, but I prefer Ginny.”

“Fair enough. Ginny, Sophia Green is the Girls' Dean.” Harry couldn't help but smile at the rhyme.

“Yes, it's a bit of a running joke around here.”

After Miss Lena knocked on the door, a short blonde woman with kind brown eyes and friendly expression greeted them. “Oh, hello there. You must be Ginevra.”

“She prefers Ginny,” Miss Lena informed the woman.

“Duly noted. There's only a few students here right now–likely in the pool–none of which are in your year, so you have a choice in third year rooms. Come on, I'll show you.”

Harry's chest suddenly constricted. For some irrational reason, he didn't want Ginny to go. It made absolutely no sense. She wasn't disappearing permanently. Forcing a smile onto his face, he told Ginny he'd see her later.

Miss Lena, then led them over to the other side of the commons area to knock on that office door. Harry grabbed his bag as he passed it. A man with sandy brown hair and sky blue eyes opened the door.

“Markus, this is Harry. Harry, meet Markus Becker, our Boys' Dean.”

The corners of the man's eyes crinkled when he smiled. “Harry, it's nice to meet you. Let's get you settled into a room, shall we?”

“Er, sure.” Harry turned back to Sirius, but Sirius waved him on.

“Go on. I have my own settling to do. Plus, I need to move the car.”

“Alright. I'll see you later, then.” Harry's gaze darted to the girls' corridor before he turned back to the man beside him. “I'm ready.”

0000


“They seem like wonderful kids. I'm sure they'll do well.”

Sirius nodded. “I certainly hope so. Both of them are a bit more serious than either ought to be, and they're quite studious. You shouldn't have any issues with them at all.” Sirius grinned. “Well, other than the occasional, harmless prank now and then.”

Lena smiled as well, her eyes alight with mischief. “I certainly look forward to the year's events, then.” Her smile faded, however, with her next statement. “Come to my office. There's a few things we need to discuss.”

Confused, Sirius followed Lena into her office. Dropping his bag next to a chair, he fell into the chair. “Is there something wrong? I thought everything had been taken care of.”

“Wrong? No. I'm merely taking some precautions. First of all, I wanted you to know that the other staff is aware of Harry's lycanthropy. I felt it best they know so that some leniency can be given at the time of the full moon. As for the students, they are aware that another lycan will be on campus, but not of his identity. It'll be up to Harry to divulge that information.”

“Lycan?”

“It's the term we prefer.” Lena wrinkled her nose. “The term 'werewolf' has such negative connotations. We try to give our students as much of a positive experience as we can. You'll find we are more open about things than in England. Mind you, I'm only talking about my little corner of the world. Others have their own ways of handling things. Anyway, our school motto is Unity in Diversity for a reason.”

Sirius solemnly looked the woman in the eye when he spoke. “And that's why I chose your school. I'm sad to say that Harry hasn't known much acceptance. Once people learned of his 'issue', they abandoned him, completely ignoring the fact that just the previous day they'd been best mates.”

“Exactly my point. Now, we do have some who are more traditional in their way of thinking, but no one here will outright bully another. Personally, I feel we have a great bunch of kids.”

Sirius sighed, relieved. “That's good to hear.” Wait, did she say …? “Did you say another lycan?”

Lena smirked. “That finally registered, did it? We have two others, one a student, the other my husband.”

Sirius blinked, unsure of what to say to that revelation. “Er, okay. That was unexpected. I think I'm doubly glad I chose your school, then. Harry could do with a friend who understands exactly what he has to deal with, not to mention a mentor. Do you remember what I told you when I contacted you?”

“I do. It's hard to lose a loved one at any age, but especially in early adolescence.” Lena paused a moment, tilted her head as she studied Sirius. “Tell me something, how close are Harry and Ginny? Is there anything I need to be aware of?”

Sirius squirmed in his seat. With one question, the woman had managed to make him feel as if he was young again and on the receiving end of one of Minerva's pointed stares. It wasn't that he was embarrassed or uncomfortable discussing this, it was more that it was such a private thing. However, he understood that she needed to know this. Resisting the urge to tug on his collar, Sirius cleared his throat instead.

“Well, they're dating. Amazingly enough, they seem to love each other very much, despite their young ages. They're rather dedicated to each other.”

“Yes, I noticed the Claddagh rings they're wearing, and more importantly, the way they're wearing them.” Sirius' brows rose in surprise. Lena lifted her own. “What, you think because of my French and African heritage that I would know nothing of Irish traditions? There's a rather large Irish contingent in this area. Some of my best friends are Irish. I'm well-versed in the Irish culture.”

“If you knew, then why did you ask?”

“Because sometimes promises are broken. I needed to know just where things stood, how devoted they are to each other. By the way, while it isn't common for a lycan to find his match early, it's not
unheard of, either.” Lena folded her hands together and rested them on her desk. “Look, I'm sure this isn't an easy topic to discuss, but it's a necessity. There's one more really personal question I need to ask. Well, maybe more than one depending on how you answer my next question. Has Harry …” Lena seemed to struggle to find the right words she wanted. “ … has his lycanthropic DNA asserted itself yet?”

Sirius felt heat crawl up his neck and into his cheeks. This was his godson's relationship they were discussing! Sirius cleared his throat again. “Er, no, not to my knowledge. She's only thirteen! He's only fourteen!”

Lena shook her head. “Age doesn't always matter. I've heard of it happening to fourteen-year-olds. I've heard it happening to adults. I've even heard of it not happening at all. Unfortunately, no one really knows for certain whom will be affected. We'll need to keep a careful watch–without going overboard, that is–so that we can diffuse the tension that it's bound to cause. Now, tell me about Ginny. I noticed the scars. Anything I should know?”

“She's not a werewolf, if that's what you're asking, though she does like her meat a little more rare than most people, and she does feel a bit sore as the full moon comes, just not to the same extent as Harry. The night Harry's guardian, one of my best mates, was killed, it happened during the full moon. The scars Ginny bears are from preventing Harry from going to Remus' rescue. Harry was injured, himself. In his desperation, he clawed her.”

“I see. Then, their being together reinforces my initial assessment of them. They're both very strong individuals. They'll be fine here.” Voices in the commons area drew their attention. “Well, I'll let you get settled in. I have some students to greet. If you'd like, I can have the car returned for you.” Sirius nodded and handed over the key. A quick glance at her clock let her know the time. “It'll be lunchtime soon. We'll see you then.”

0000


While Sirius and Lena were chatting, Harry followed Markus through the mostly glassed-in corridor and through another door. On their immediate right was a staircase that led up to the next floor. Just past the stairs was an open doorway. Harry wondered if that was a loo. Markus Becker confirmed it.

“Alright, Harry. The stairs lead up to first, second, and third years' rooms, along with two fourth years' rooms.” He pointed to the open doorway. “The bathroom is there.” He motioned for Harry to follow him as he walked to the point where their short corridor intersected with a long corridor. “Down on the other side, is another set of stairs and bathroom. This hallway has one fourth year room, as well as all the fifth, sixth, and seventh year rooms. You can choose which floor you'd like.”

Harry stared at the man beside him a moment. “Hang on. Are you telling me all the blokes in this school are split between two floors?”

Markus chuckled. “I am. We're a small school, Harry. This year, we have ninety-six boys.”

Harry simply blinked owlishly, then shook his head. “Whoa. At Hogwarts, there were … well, a lot more.”

“I don't doubt it. Hogwarts has to service all of the British Isles. The educational system is a little different here due to the country being so big. Each state is allowed its own school, and most do have them, except for the exceedingly small ones, like Rhode Island, Vermont and Delaware. There's also four larger, regional schools, one for each region of the United States. In the Northeast, you have Tituba in Salem, Massachusetts. In the Midwest, there's a school just outside the town of Aurora, Iowa. For the Southern region, the school is located in Hedwig Village just outside of Houston, Texas. The Western region has their school in Ogden, Utah. Sorry, I don't know those names. I've been to Tituba. That's how I know that one.”

Harry shook his head, unable to comprehend that many students. It made sense, of course, but it was so far out of his realm of experience. “That's a little overwhelming.”

“It is at first, but you'll get used to the idea. Something tells me you'll pick things up just fine. Now, would you rather the first floor, or the second floor?”

Harry weighed the pros and cons of each floor. What really decided it for him was his transformations. He wasn't fond of the idea of having to climb stairs while barely able to walk. “I think the first floor would probably be best.”

“Then your room is at the end of this hall. Come on.”

“Er, sir, I heard Miss … Green … say that there are students here already. May I ask why? I mean, at Hogwarts, students don't leave for school until the first of September.”

“Call me Markus. Mr. B works, too, if you'd rather. Students aren't allowed to use their magic outside of school. Letting them come the week prior to the beginning of the year allows them the chance to practice, especially those who come from non-magical families.”

“That makes sense.”

“Also, we have a Parents' Day just before the start of the year where parents can come and check out the school. Then, there's Labor Day, where we show our appreciation to the house-elves and staff who work tirelessly to keep this school running.”

“Oh, that's nice.” Harry wondered if it would be at all possible to get Ginny's parents here for the Parents' Day. That was something else he would need to speak with Sirius about.

Markus stopped outside the last door on the left. “Listen, Harry, I want you to know that I'm well aware of your lycanthropy; all of the staff is. The students know someone else here has it, they just don't know whom it is. We leave that up to the student's discretion to divulge.”

Else?” Harry asked, brows raised.

“That's right. One other student is also a lycan.” Seeing Harry's confusion, he explained. “Lycan is the term we use around here. The term werewolf tends to make people think of vicious, inhuman creatures.”

Strangely touched by that statement, Harry could only nod. Markus seemed to understand for he smiled and pat Harry's shoulder. “Well, here you are. Pick a bed and closet space. It'll be lunchtime soon. If you ever need anything, see me. Even if it's only to talk. Okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Er, thanks.”

Opening the door to his new dorm room, Harry saw the wooden floors spread to the rooms, as well. Three white-wooden four-poster beds dominated the spacious room. They were dressed in dark teal, a color Harry had associated with the ocean depths ever since he once saw a picture of a ship on the ocean floor. Each bed had matching privacy hangings and a bedside table and a short bookshelf made of the same wood as the beds. Each table had three drawers. Windows reflected the sunshine outside, and gave them a view of the grounds, which meant they were magical windows since his room faced the wall of the main house section and wouldn't have a view ordinarily. Ivory paint coated the walls.

Choosing the bed closest to the door, Harry dropped his suitcase onto it. Pulling out his clothes, he turned to the wall opposite the beds. A walk-in cupboard took up the majority of the space, hangers already in place. Stepping closer, Harry saw that the closet had poles on each of its three sides. He began hanging his clothes on the leftmost pole. He assumed the basket on the floor beneath the pole was for laundry.

After filling the bedside table drawers, he placed his Pocket Sneakoscope on the table top along with his glass paperweight and the photo album that contained pictures of his parents, Uncle Remus, and Sirius, despite the fact it contained embarrassing pictures of himself. Using a Sticking Charm, he hung his framed Potter Coat of Arms and the Potter photo artwork. Harry couldn't wait to get all those pictures back that Sirius took, especially the one of him and Ginny on that river cruise ship in Pittsburgh. Ginny had looked really pretty that night. He also looked forward to getting a copy of the map that showed the route they took to get here. Harry set his Firebolt onto the hooks in the wall beside his bed.

“Hello, there.”

Harry swung around at the voice. A bloke with brown wavy hair and dark eyes entered the room, choosing the bed next to Harry's. “Hello.”

The bloke's brows jumped to his hairline, but he grinned. “England, eh? You're a little far from home. Well, glad you joined us on this side of the Pond. My name's Chris King.”

“Harry Potter.” Harry waited for recognition to dawn on the bloke's face, but it never came. Needless to say, he felt relief at that.

“Nice to meet you, Harry.” Chris began unpacking. “Do you play Quodpot or Quidditch? We play both here at school and at some of the surrounding schools.”

While Quodpot wasn't very popular in England, Harry had heard of it. “Quidditch. I played Seeker for my House team at Hogwarts.”

Chris looked Harry over. “Yeah, you look like a Seeker.”

Not sure if he should be flattered or insulted, Harry asked, “What's that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, I didn't mean anything by it. I just mean that you have the right physique for it, so I should have guessed. Are you any good?”

Harry shrugged. “I can hold my own. Why?”

“The boys' team will be needing another Seeker. Our last one graduated.” Chris caught sight of the broom and whistled. “Is that a Firebolt? Oh, please tell me you plan to try out for the team. We had our backsides handed to us last year.”

“Er, well, I can't make any promises, but I'd love to be able to play again. I guess we'll have to wait and see.”

“Fair enough,” he said with a quick grin and nod of his head.

Harry watched as his roommate unpack. “Are you from here?”

“Louisiana, yes. New Orleans, no. I was born, and still live, in Shreveport.”

“Do you play Quidditch or Quodpot?”

“Nope. No talent for it, unfortunately. No talent for any sport, really. I do love watching the games, though. My favorite Quodpot team is, of course, the Southern Hurricanes for the professional league. If you're talking minor league, then it would be the West South Central Heat. For Quidditch, I only have a favorite pro team, the Salem Sorcerers, though I should probably like the Cajun Creatures since they're based here.”

“How many Quidditch teams play for the country?”

“We have five, one for each region. They all play each other to see who represents the country internationally.” From somewhere, a bell sounded. “That would be the lunch bell. Come on, let's go see what's for lunch.”

As the two of them walked down the corridor, Harry stated, “You didn't ask why I'm this far from England. Why not?”

Chris shrugged. “You didn't volunteer the reason, so I figured it was something you didn't want to talk about, therefore none of my business.”

Impressed with his answer, Harry started to relax, thinking he'd made his first American friend. He hoped someone in Ginny's year would come soon and, more importantly, that it was someone she could become friends with. Entering the commons area, he caught up with Ginny.

“Hey, how's your room?”

“It's pretty. I love the teal green. It's like the ocean.”

Harry grinned. “That was my thought, too.” He turned to his new friend. “Hey, Ginny, this is Chris. He's one of my dorm mates. Chris, this is Ginny, my girlfriend.”

“Ah, the story gets even more interesting. It's nice to meet you, Ginny. Harry, man, you are one lucky dude.”

“Believe me when I say, I know I am.”

Taking Ginny's hand, the three walked over to the dining room.




















Reviews 118
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear