Search:

SIYE Time:15:23 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Ginny Weasley and the Squire of Wordenshire
By Shamrock Holmes

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black
Genres: Crossover
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 35
Summary: Cast out of Hogwarts after the Chamber of Secrets, Ginny Weasley's future was adrift until a chance encounter four years later opens up a new opportunity for adventure and the future.
Hitcount: Story Total: 27234; Chapter Total: 1509





Author's Notes:

A/N: This story diverges significantly from accepted canon for the Harry Potter series from the outset, as in addition to the crossover elements, there are several deviations from the books, two of which is touched upon in this chapter, and others that will be covered where they fit into the narrative. The timeline of the DC Comics elements borrows heavily from Young Justice (2011), but adds elements and characters from the comics, and relocates the series to the late Sixties and early Seventies rather than the 'New Tens' as screened, and therefore includes several 'legacy' and original characters on the DC side.






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


---
Unknown Location
23
rd August, 305 AS

"How fastidious you've become, Wormtail," hissed Voldemort. "As I recall, you once called the nearest gutter pipe home. Could it be that the task of nursing me has finally become wearisome for you?"

"Oh, no, no," his parents' betrayer replied. "No, no, my Lord Voldemort." He paused for a moment, trying to decide what to say next. "I only meant... perhaps if we were to do it without the boy... "

"No! The boy is everything!" declared Voldemort. "It cannot be done without him, and it will be done exactly as I said. I have waited sixteen years, Wormtail. A few more months will make no difference."

At that moment, a third man who Harry was sure he'd never met but looked vaguely familiar moved into view and crouched beside Voldemort. "I will not disappoint you this time, my Lord. Everything is in place."

"Good," said Voldemort. "Are our old comrades ready to strike when they get the sign?"

"Yes, my lord."

Then, a huge snake slithered into the room hissing loudly. Voldemort turned to Wormtail, "Nagini tells me that the old Muggle caretaker is standing just outside the door, listening to every word we say."

The third man glanced towards the door as Wormtail moved to open it.

"Step aside, Wormtail... " Voldemort ordered as soon as the door was opened and the old man revealed. "... so, I can give our guest a proper greeting... "

Wormtail obeyed and Voldemort raised a wand. "Avada Kedavra!"

There was a flash of green light, a rushing sound, and the old caretaker crumpled. He was dead before he hit the floor.

--- Great Worden,
Wordenshire BB7
23rd August, 0415 BST

Harry Potter woke with a start. At first, he remained flat on his back, breathing hard as though he had been running. He had awoken from a vivid dream with his hands pressed over his face. The old lightning-bolt scar on his forehead, was burning beneath his fingers as though someone had just pressed a white-hot wire to his skin.

He sat up, one hand still on his scar, the other hand reaching out in the darkness for his contact lenses box, which was on the bedside table. He put them in and his bedroom came into clearer focus, lit by a faint, misty orange light that was filtering through the curtains from the street lamp outside the window.

Harry ran his fingers over the scar again. It was still painful. He turned on the lamp beside him, scrambled out of bed, crossed the room, opened his wardrobe, and peered into the mirror on the inside of the door. A leanly muscled boy of seventeen looked back at him, his blue eyes puzzled under his short-cropped dyed-brown hair. He examined the lightning-bolt scar of his reflection more closely. It looked normal, but it was still stinging.

Harry tried to recall what he had been dreaming about before he had awoken. It had seemed so real... There had been two people he knew and two he didn't ... He concentrated hard, frowning, trying to remember... The dim picture of a darkened room came to him... There had been a snake on a hearth rug... a small man called Peter, nicknamed Wormtail... a slightly familiar-looking stranger... and a cold, high voice... the voice of Lord Voldemort. Harry felt as though an ice cube had slipped down into his stomach at the very thought...

His time with the Team had brought him in contact with many dangerous foes, but the personal nature of his fight with Voldemort always made it seem different... almost intimate in a way. He idly wondered if the first Batman had had similar feelings regarding the Joker...

Snapping himself out of his brief introspection, Harry pulled out some clothes and started to dress. If Voldemort was back in England - and Harry suspected he was - and preparing to move against him then he needed to inform the League as soon as possible.

Ten minutes later, he exited the Zeta Tube into the Watchtower. Supermartian appeared to be deep in one of meditation trances but came out it as Harry moved towards him. "Squire?" he queried. "Is there a problem?"

"A development, certainly," Harry admitted. "I just a vision in my dreams, about Voldemort... "

"Show me," ordered Supermartian, his eyes glowing white as he drew on the telepathic skills of his Martian half.

---

The Burrow
Ottery St Catchpole
23
rd August, 0605 BST


Ginny slipped out of the back door into early morning air, and was about to start stretching-out before her run when she heard a low beeping sound coming from their shed. "No rest for the weary," she sighed and walked over to the shed.

As she suspected, the beeping sound was coming from the comm-unit of Zeta Module she'd stashed there weeks ago. She walked up to it and allowed it to scan her. "Recognised Protector B147," confirmed the computer. "Incoming message from the Watchtower, Priority Amber."

"Play incoming call."

"Acknowledged," replied the computer.

A split second later, the small screen on the surface of the device lit up and Supermartian's face appeared on it. "Protector, can you come up to the Watchtower as soon as you get this. Squire has urgent information to share with the Team."

"On my way," replied Ginny. She paused for a moment to consider whether to run back upstairs to get her bio-suit, but then decided that it was probably better not to keep the others waiting, so activated the teleporter and disappeared in a flash of light.

---

The Watchtower
Earth Orbit
23
rd August, 0106 EDT

A few moments later, Ginny reappeared on the Watchtower and headed towards the meeting room. Supermartian, Triton and Harry were already waiting.

"Thanks for coming, Ginny," said Harry as she took a seat beside him. Little Mermaid was sitting opposite.

"Anytime, Harry," replied Ginny as Maz blurred into the chair on Harry's other side.

"What's up?" said Maz.

"We're still waiting for Amanda," Harry told her. "I don't want to tell this story twice."

Maz didn't seem happy about that, but didn't say anything. But she didn't have to wait long as Amanda arrived before the hour was up.

Once she was seated, Harry was rose to his feet and scanned the room. "Hello, thank you for coming. Supermartian, is that everyone?"

The veteran Leaguer nodded, "Darkclaw, Kid Martian and Shadowfox are embedded in Gorilla City dealing with 'Grulti, heir of Grodd' and can't get away."

Harry nodded. "Let's get started then," he tapped a few controls and pulled up holo-screens in front of each of them. "For Amanda's benefit, I'm going to backtrack a little. Shortly after I was born, my parents found out that they ... or possibly I ... were being specifically targeted for death by self-styled 'dark lord' and terrorist leader, Tom Marvolo Riddle, also known as Lord Voldemort, so we went into hiding. We should have been safe as only one person knew where we were. However, he was secretly in league with Voldemort and he betrayed our location."

Despite having heard the story before, Ginny couldn't help but feel a swell of anger at this.

"On All Hallows Eve, he attacked us at Godric's Hollow. My parents were murdered but - due to circumstances we still don't entirely understand - I survived and Voldemort was discorporated. I was removed from the wreckage of the cottage by Order of the Phoenix member Rubeus Hagrid ... currently incarcerated in the wizarding prison Azkaban on false assault and murder charges - who was instructed to take me to live with my mother's relatives, the Dursley family, in Surrey."

He paused for a moment to take a drink of water. "At the time, Albus Dumbledore decided to do this because he believed that my godfather, Sirius Black, also known as Padfoot, the 'white sheep' of an infamous magical family, was the one who betrayed my parents and I. However, three years ago, evidence was discovered that suggested that another friend of the family - Peter Pettigrew, also known as Wormtail - may have been responsible instead. We believe he is currently working with the remnant of Voldemort, but previous attempts by the League to locate either him or his master have failed."

Ginny shivered a little at that, 'remnant' felt a little too much like 'Tom', who according to Kathryn was something called a Horcrux.

"Has something changed?" asked Little Mermaid.

"Yes," confirmed Harry, pausing for another drink. "Last night, I had a vision of Voldemort and Wormtail, they were in an abandoned manor house, discussing the fact that I had finally 'come out of hiding' and so they could 'proceed with the plan' to use their 'inside man' to lure me into a trap. Normally, this - by itself - wouldn't be much use as I didn't see outside the house in the vision. However, just as they were finishing their conversation, they were interrupted by a third player, Voldemort's pet snake Nagini, who had discovered an eavesdropping local man, who was then killed by the remnant."

"When Squire approached me half-an-hour ago, I extracted the memory of the local man from his mind and ran facial recognition through Oracle," added Supermartian. "We got a match through almost immediately."

He touched one of the keys on his computer and the face of an old man popped up. "Frank Bryce, served during the Second World War, he was attached to the 148th Infantry Brigade and invalided out at the rank of Corporal in June 1940 due to injuries sustained at the Battle of Dunkirk. After receiving what rehabilitation was available, he took a job as a gardener for a family in Little Hangleton, England. He next came to official attention in the summer of '93 when he was a suspect in the murders of his masters."

Possibly because she had already been thinking about 'Tom', it didn't take Ginny long to make the connection. "Thomas Riddle, his wife Mary, and his adult son, Tom. Voldemort's father and his paternal grandparents."

Harry glanced at her, his expression briefly indecipherable even to her, then nodded. "Indeed, so we believe that Voldemort has returned to Little Hangleton, and we also believe that it was Voldemort, not Frank Bryce that murdered the Riddles in '43."

"When do we hit him?" asked Maz, her tone indicated that 'now' was the answer she was looking for.

Harry shook his head. "As much I would like to, we still don't know the capabilities of the remnant, and while Voldemort isn't a genuine challenger to the Dark Lord..."

Ginny snorted, "He wishes."

"Probably," Harry agreed. "Assuming he's heard of him?"

Ginny shrugged, the few bits and pieces that she could still remember didn't mention him, but it wasn't unlikely that he'd found out later.

"The instant kill potential of the Killing Curse and the wizard ability of Apparition - self-teleportation - means that we will be better off if we let them spring the trap and then strike while they are otherwise occupied with whatever ritual they have planned."

"We don't expect to have a great deal of notice once Voldemort instigates his plan, which is why we wanted to brief you immediately," added Supermartian. "If there are no further questions-."

There weren't.

"Then that's all for now," he told them. "Dismissed."

As Ginny rose to her feet, Harry moved to stand beside her. "Are you still up for the match later?"

"Mum's having kneazles about it," Ginny admitted. "But she's beginning to realise that she can't coddle me forever. When should I be at yours?"

"The Portkey leaves at ten-thirty," replied Harry.

"I'll be there," Ginny promised. Then before she could talk out of it, she kissed him on the cheek and skipped out of the room, heading towards the Zeta Tubes.

---

Ilkle y Moor,
West Yorkshire LS9
23
rd August, 1030 BST

Ginny and the others - Harry, Jamie, and her friend Melanie - appeared in the typical flash of light outside the Harpies Stadium. Only Ginny and Jamie were dressed for occasion, though the Harpies' shirt that Jamie wore over her leggings was far closer to its original dark-green than Ginny's. Unlike his two favourite girls, Harry was dressed in his usual t-shirt and jeans, while Melanie wore a vest and jeans.

Ten minutes later, the quartet were in their seats and by the time eleven o'clock rolled around, the stadium was about two-thirds full and it looked to Ginny like the fans - most of which were wearing either Harpies' green or the navy-blue of Puddlemere ... were mostly in place. Moments later, a wizard in Ministry robes appeared in the Executive Box, whipped out his wand, directed it at his own throat, and said "Sonorus!" and then spoke over the roar of sound that was now filling the stadium; his voice echoed over them, booming into every corner of the stands. "Ladies and gentlemen. . . my name is Derek Fowler and I welcome you to the opening game of the Holyhead Harpies' 1997 campaign!"

Most of the spectators - including all the ones in green ... screamed and clapped. The huge blackboard opposite the Executive Box was wiped clear of its last message and now showed HARPIES: 0, UNITED: 0.

"And now, without further ado, allow me to introduce today's players! In a change from the European Cup-winning line-up of this season, playing in green today are... Carter, Copeland, Morgan, Chang, Reynolds, McLaughlin and... your captain and the Grand Dame of British Quidditch-. GWENOG JONES!"

Seven green-clad players zoomed out of the players' entrance and took a circuit around the pitch to the cheers of the green-clad supporters in the stands.

Fowler paused for a moment to allow the cheering to subside. "And in brown, for Puddlemere United are... Hawkins, Griffiths, Wadcock, Simpson, Townsend, Wood and... WILLIAMS!"

Another septet of players flew onto the pitch and after a lap around the pitch to the cheers of their fans they took position opposite the Harpies.

"And finally, our referee, from the British and Irish Quidditch Association... Isaias Crabtree!"

"Captains, shake hands!" said Crabtree.

Jones and Williams approached each other and grasped each other's hand very tightly; it looked as though each was trying to break the other's fingers.

"Three... two... one... " said Crabtree as he opened his trunk and released the Bludgers and the Snitch, which quickly flew out of sight. Then he picked up the Quaffle and threw it up in the air.

The sound of his whistle was lost in the roar from the crowd as fourteen brooms flew towards each other. "And it's Puddlemere in possession, Claude Hawkins with the Quaffle, heading straight for the Harpies goal posts, looking good, Claude! Argh, no ... Quaffle intercepted by Morgan, Valmai Morgan tearing UP the field ... WHAM! ... nice Bludger work there by Wilbur Simpson, Morgan drops the Quaffle, it's caught by... Wadcock, Puddlemere back in possession, come on, Jacquelyn ... nice swerve around Copeland - ducks a Bludger, sent her way by Jones ... SHE SCORES! TEN-ZERO TO PUDDLEMERE!"

"Not a good start," observed Ginny, wryly over the boos of the Harpies' fans.

"No," Harry agreed. "Although if Oliver gets his way, I might not agree for long."

Ginny turned to him, confusion on her face. "What... why?"

"Oliver's been trying to get me to agree to try out for Puddlemere since my birthday," Harry replied. "Benjy Williams is looking to retire, injuries I think-"

"So that's where you got the tickets," Ginny realised.

"Not entirely," Harry clarified. "Jamie got a season ticket for her birthday... the others - including mine ... were freebies from Oliver though."

"Puddlemere in possession, Griffiths heading for the goal, dodges a Bludger from Harpies Captain Gwenog Jones, just Reynolds between her and the goal now... he shoots... and it's saved by Reynolds. Long pass to Copeland, now Morgan... who ducks a Bludger from McLaughlin, heading for the Puddlemere goal... can Oliver Wood, in his first match with the main team, stop the Harpies' leading scorer? She's shoots... and it's saved by Wood! Puddlemere are now back in possession, Griffiths with the Quaffle-"

The boos and jeers from the Harpies' fans got louder and louder, much to Ginny's disappoint. She was even more annoyed when an object flew from one of the stands and struck Puddlemere's leading scorer, Wilda Griffiths, on the head as she aimed the Quaffle at the goals.

The Puddlemere stands erupted into furious shouts as she spun to the ground semi-conscious.

Valmai Morgan swept in to snag the Quaffle, and turned towards the Puddlemere goal, but before she could get very far, Crabtree blew his whistle and she stopped and hovered in mid-air.

"It's a time-out!" yelled Fowler. "as trained mediwizards hurry onto the field to examine Wilda Griffiths!"

Harry turned to Ginny, slightly confused. "What was that about?"

Ginny made a face. "Griffiths used to fly for the Harpies until she switched to Puddlemere a couple of seasons back. Apparently, one or two fans still hold a grudge."

A few minutes later, the mediwizards had treated the woman and she was back on her broom and heading into the air.

"The referee awards a penalty to Puddlemere United for a deliberate attack on their Chaser!" announced the commentator. "Griffiths takes the shot and puts it away-. TWENTY-ZERO TO PUDDLEMERE!"

This seemed to energise rather demoralise the Harpies as they quickly took the initiative. "Morgan has the Quaffle, ducks a Bludger from Townsend, long-pass to Carter who angles for the goals... another Bludger heads her way from Simpson, blocked by Captain Jones, Carter takes aim-. and scores! TEN-TWENTY TO THE HARPIES!"

"That's more like it!" said Ginny, pumping a fist enthusiastically.

"Harpies maintain possession... pass to Copeland... back to Morgan... she shoots and SCORES! THE HARPIES PULL LEVEL AT TWENTY-TWENTY!" declared Fowler. "Puddlemere in possession... Griffiths with the Quaffle, heading out of the Puddlemere scoring area... she takes a Bludger from Jones and is out of play!"

The sea of blue erupted into furious jeers as Morgan snatched the Quaffle and swung back towards the goal.

"This could be it-" said Ginny, eagerly.

"Shouldn't the referee call it-?" asked Melanie, as the mediwizards hurried out onto the field again.

Ginny shook her head. "That's what Beaters are supposed to do."

"Morgan shoots... and scores again! THE HARPIES TAKE THE LEAD!" declared Fowler. "The mediwizards are removing Griffiths from the pitch and play continues-. The Harpies are still in possession... Carter with the Quaffle, takes a Bludger to the shoulder and drops the Quaffle... intercepted by Wadcock, blocked by McLaughlin, passes to Hawkins... intercepted by Copeland... passes to Morgan... she shoots... AND SCORES FOR HARPIES. THEY NOW LEAD THIRTY-TWENTY!"

"I think the Harpies might have this one in the bag-" suggested Jamie.

"Don't be so sure-" cautioned Ginny. "The Snitch is still in play-"

Harry nodded. "In fact... I think I see the Snitch-"

"Where?" asked Jamie.

Ginny glanced at Harry and then followed his eyeline. She spotted it a few seconds later, about the same time as Williams, the Puddlemere Seeker and Captain, spotted it and shot off towards it. Cho, who had been tailing him closely, was only a few broom lengths behind as they shot towards the glittering ball near the Puddlemere goals.

"The two Seekers have spotted the Snitch and are heading towards it, jockeying for position, Chang in the lead, now Williams... Williams, now seconds from the Snitch... dodges a Bludger from Jones, Chang now pulling ahead... she reaches for the Snitch... only two brooms to go-"

"Come on, come on-"

"AND SHE CATCHES THE SNITCH... On her debut match, Cho Chang wins the match for the Holyhead Harpies at ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY TO THIRTY!"

The Harpies fans' cheered loudly in victory, but this quickly turned to screams as an orange, fire spell burst from one of the Puddlemere stands and flew towards the victorious Harpies Seeker. Fortunately, she spotted it in time to dodge. But unfortunately, this meant that the spell kept going and smashed through the base of one of the support poles of their stand, which then lurched to one side and started to fall.

Ginny jumped to her feet and could feel herself losing her balance. "Harry-"

Harry threw out his arms to cover as many people as possible. "DNATS ETATIVEL!" he declared. "Ginny, I'll try and hold the stand. Get as many people to safety as possible!"

"On it!" confirmed Ginny. "Jamie, Melanie, lead people towards the exit... it's on the opposite side to the break-!"

Jamie paused for a moment, clearly a little intimated by the situation.

"Thanaitor, Corchala, Khaiphos!" said Ginny, and then leapt into the air. "You need to go NOW! Harry can't hold it for long!"

She took a deep breath and then pulled Melanie to her feet as well. "Let's move it people, quick as you can!"

As if they were waiting for instructions, the fans at the base of the stand started to move towards the stairs.

"Let's keep it orderly, people!" Jamie told them, trying to keep the smaller fans from being crushed.

Satisfied that the evacuation was underway, Ginny flew towards the top of the stand and grabbed an older gentleman under the arms and lifted him off the stand.

"What are you doing-?" demanded the man, struggling in her arms.

"Saving your life!" replied Ginny coolly. "Be still!"

He seemed to accept that and seconds later he was back on the ground and Ginny was returning for another fan.

She kept this up for about five minutes until the Aurors arrived and were able to take over, then she and her group disappeared before reporters could arrive.

---

The Orchard
Royctonshire
25
th August, 1030 BST

"Well, how do you feel?" Doctor Montrose asked as Ginny entered her office two days later. "Kathryn thought you might get flashbacks or nightmares-"

"I'm fine," Ginny replied. "Ilkey Moor was very different from Svalbard... I knew what needed to be done and I did it, and people were saved."

"I'm glad," the older woman said. "I'd like to see you at least once a month just to be sure... and of course I'll be available if you need anything."

"So I'm cured?" asked Ginny.

"I think you've come to terms with your past and your role in the future."

"I'll take it." Ginny said with a grin.

---

A/N: Well, that's it for Ginny Weasley and the Squire of Wordenshire. All being well, the story of the Legacy of the Dark Knight will continue in Jamie Prosser and the Fourth Champion later in the year.

Reviews 35
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear