Search:

SIYE Time:14:32 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Ginny Weasley and the Squire of Wordenshire
By Shamrock Holmes

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black
Genres: Crossover
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 35
Summary: Cast out of Hogwarts after the Chamber of Secrets, Ginny Weasley's future was adrift until a chance encounter four years later opens up a new opportunity for adventure and the future.
Hitcount: Story Total: 27238; Chapter Total: 2516





Author's Notes:
A/N: This story diverges significantly from accepted canon for the Harry Potter series from the outset, as in addition to the crossover elements, there are several deviations from the books that will be covered where they fit into the narrative. The timeline of the DC Comics elements borrows heavily from Young Justice (2011), but adds elements and characters from the comics, and relocates the series to the late Sixties and early Seventies rather than the New Tens as screened, and is fairly heavy on 'legacy' and original characters as a result.

I'm trying something different in this chapter as it combines several different PoVs for a more Young Justice-style narrative rather than the single PoV approach of
Harry Potter.

Due to multiple reviews raising the issue, I'd like to make it clear that unless stated otherwise, the action of this story takes place in the run up to and during the 1997-1998 school year (parallel to the events of
Deathly Hallows in canon).




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


---

Centre for Organised Research
Herefordshire WD3
16th June, 0750 BST, 305 AS



"Welcome to Final Assessment, Miss Weasley," said the tallest of the three adults — a lean, Muslim man in black combats and a purple t-shirt with a pair of dark glasses covering his eyes - at the head of the room when Ginny entered the training room at the Centre about forty-six hours later. "Please take a seat and we'll begin."

"Thank you, sir," said Ginny, and moved to the only vacant chair at the table, between an Arab boy and a Hispanic girl, both — indeed all seven of the kids around the table — looked to be at least a bit younger than Ginny herself, probably about thirteen or fourteen, which wasn't surprised as from what she'd heard that was about average.

"Welcome to the Centre for Organised Research, my name is Nightrunner, current co-Vice Chairman of the Justice and Field Commander for the EMEA," He turned to the other two adults with him. "These are my assistants, and your trainers, Bulldog and Rachel Feldmann. The eight of you wish to become members of The Team, this is a noble goal and we thank you for your offer to serve, however, issues that arose during the early years, lead to the rule that rigorous assessments of each candidate must take place before their name can be put to the vote. Currently, there are two candidates on the list for the next vote, typically no more than five are expected during any given intake, however with three of the current team unavailable we may recruit more."

"I can save you some time, sir. You can cut three immediately."

"And which three would that be, Mister Aslam?" asked Nightrunner.

"I would have thought that was obvious, sir?"

Ginny agreed that the implication was fairly obvious, and a glance over Nightrunner's assistant Rachael, a leanly-muscled twenty-something brunette - who was now looking that the Asian boy with an expression that she'd seen on the twins before - suggested that she thought it was too.

"Perhaps," admitted Nightrunner, then — as Aslam's expression shifted to a smug grin — he added. "And completely inappropriate. Any further comments will impact negatively on your assessment. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"Moving on then... the four days will be quite possibly some of the most exhausting and challenging of your life. As we decided to give you a nice lie-in this morning, the agenda today will be a little shorter. In a few moments, we will moving the 'fitness suite' for your medical and fitness assessments. Then at oh-nine hundred, we will return here for the first of your classroom-based assessments - topics will include surveillance and counter-surveillance, investigation and first aid - these will run until fourteen hundred, when you have lunch, then you will run the basic obstacle course and will be given to demonstrate your hand-to-hand combat skills. Dinner is at twenty hundred hours, then you will run the obstacle course again until twenty-two hundred, when I suggest you clean up and get ready for bed."

"Tuesday and Wednesday you will rise at rise at oh-five forty-five. At oh-six hundred, you will hit the pool, for your swimming assessment. At oh-seven fifteen, you will have breakfast, followed by additional combat and physical assessments at oh-seven thirty, until your academic phase restarts at oh-nine hundred. At fourteen hundred, you will have lunch, then several runs of the obstacle course and sparring until dinner. On Wednesday, there will be a repeat of the night run of the obstacle course, but on Thursday, you will taken the SCOPE Urban Warfare 'test village' where you will be engage in a 'live fire' exercise against a squad from the Scopers, armed with stun weapons and other equipment. You will have only your powers, so this will allow us to gauge your ability to use them in a stressful but contained situation. The exercise will conclude at ten hundred hours, at which point you will return here for your final medical assessments and then will be allowed to return home. Any questions?"

"When do we sleep?" asked another of the boys, a Hispanic.

"During the exercise?" clarified Nightrunner. "I suggest you don't, Mister Arquero, at least not all at once. That will lead to your inevitable capture and negatively affect your assessment."

The Hispanic didn't look overly thrilled about that revelation, but frankly it didn't bother Ginny all that much, she'd managed for weeks without a decent night's sleep, she was fairly sure — even with the extra activity — that she could manage a couple nights of limited sleep and one night none.

"How do we 'pass'?" asked one of the other two girls.

"While a poor result in individual elements will not be viewed favourably, as long as you complete the next hundred hours, then you will have 'passed'. Are there are any further questions?" he paused for a moment. "Then let's begin."


---

The Salt-Water Pool
Centre for Organised Research
Herefordshire WD3
18th June, 0650 BST



On the other hand, I might have been mistaken, thought Ginny as she doggedly ploughed through the clear, but slightly, briny waters of the Centre's pool.

"Ten minute warning!" announced Bulldog from the sidelines.

Just a few more strokes... thought Ginny, stretching out a hand to touch the side of the pool. Fifty-three! She gasped mentally, then flipped around and pushed off against the wall and sped back up the pool, diving under the shallow waves splashing across the surface.

"Five minutes!"

Fifty-nine...

"On e minute!"

Sixty-two, thought Ginny, as she turned in the water and surged up the pool back towards the bottom end of the pool.

"Thirty seconds!" bellowed Bulldog. "If you don't finish the length, kids... it doesn't count! Twenty five... twenty... fifteen... ten... five..."

Ginny touched off and then relaxed against the wall. Sixty-three.

"Time's up..." bellowed Bulldog and blew his whistle. "Breakfast in fifteen minutes, make the most of it!" He told them, and then he crossed to an automatic door at the side of the pool and left.

Ginny heaved herself out of the pool, then waddled over to the scoreboard by the exit that recorded the distances that she and her competitors had done in the last hour. She wasn't surprised to see that she hadn't done the best — that was Amanda, who had managed three thousand, three hundred fifty metres, and then Yusuf who'd beat her own score by about fifty metres - but she'd blown past that muscle-bound idiot Arquero who'd only managed two-thousand eight hundred.

Shaking her head slightly, she reached back and pulled her hair out of its ponytail and then headed towards the exit into the locker room. She paused under the one of the shower-heads built into the entrance and stopped to rinse off her hair and tri-suit, unzipping the front of the suit to allow some clean water under the suit. She was nearly done, when someone came up behind her and knocked into her, she slipped on the wet floor and went down on one knee.

"Get out of my way, puta!" snarled the figure and stepped on her outstretched hand.

"Ouch!" screamed Ginny. "That hurt!" She glanced up, and wasn't surprised to see that Arquero was striding into the locker room. I'd love to kick that git's arse! Maybe Yusuf'll let me swap with him for a session... she thought as she clambered to her feet and left the shower corridor, shivering slightly as she was hit by the draft from the body-dryer built into the archway into the locker room.

Fortunately for both of them, Arquero had already disappeared from the room by the time she made it to there. She crossed to her locker and pulled out her tracksuit, stepping quickly into the trousers and then pulled on the zip-up jacket, leaving it hanging open. She glanced up at the clock on the wall. 0710, I'd better get going, she thought as she stepped into her trainers and retied her ponytail. Now dressed and presentable, she hurried out of the locker room towards the cafeteria.


---
SCOPE Urban Warfare Compound
Herefordshire WD3
20th June, 0550 BST



"Only about four hours to go," observed Elena, as she and Ginny were skirted around an abandoned building, trying to make it to the exit point without being spotted. "I'm exhausted, you?"

"I've been worse," said Ginny.

"Really?"

In the dim light, it was difficult to see the younger girl's expression, but Ginny thought she didn't sound terribly convinced. "After I got caught up in terrorist attack in Svalbard, I didn't sleep probably for about a month."

"I heard about that... it was during the assassination attempt on Queen Perdita, right?"

Ginny nodded, "Not the first time, either."

Elena looked like she wanted to say more, but there was a whining sound and then a blue-white burst of energy impacted the wall beside them. "I guess the stealthy approach is off?!"

"Agreed!" said Ginny. "Can you see where they are?"

"Somewhere to the west! Probably on top of one of the buildings!"

"I'll get a better view!" said Ginny. "Cover me!"

"Got it!" said Elena and sent an oscillating wave of energy towards the top of the nearest westerly building.

"Thanaitor, Corchala, Khaiphos!" declared Ginny and gently lifted off the ground as if on a column of wind. Within seconds, she was above the roof-line of the building they were sheltering against, and the angle of the energy blasts shifted to follow her. "It's not that one!"

"No kidding!" said Elena, then yelped as a blast clipped her thigh, causing her to drop to her knees.

"Are you okay?" asked Ginny, desperately trying to home in on the shooter's location.

"I'll be fine!" Elena assured her. "The tallest one, it's got to be!"

"I'm on it!" said Ginny and flew towards the indicated building. Seconds later, she was able to see her target, a boy — probably about fourteen or fifteen carrying a long-barrelled American-made pulse carbine. "Nyktermukes!"

The boy yelled and dropped his weapon as his helmet filled with results of the wand-less variant of her favourite spell. Ginny landed a few feet away and then quickly crossed the distance between them. "Night, night..." she said, drawing her fist back and then swung at his jaw. "... Sleep tight!"

The military cadet dropped his carbine and crumpled to the ground. Ginny checked he was fine, which he was just unconscious, then picked up the cadet's rucksack and carbine, and took to the air briefly, hovered over the roof sill and then drifted down to stand beside her wounded partner who was sitting on a bonnet of an 'abandoned' car. She rummaged inside the bag for a moment until she found the first aid, removed a burn dressing and a bandage from it. "Let's cover up that wound, Elena."

"I'll be fine," Elena assured her. "We need to get moving."

"We will, we will," Ginny told the younger girl. "After I dress that wound."

"Okay," Elena agreed, raising her injured leg so that Ginny could get at the wound more easily.


---
Control Room
20th June, 0600 BST



"Risky strategy," offered the watch officer, turning to Nightrunner, who was in his full black-and-purple uniform with his full-face mask in place over his head.

"It worked though," replied the hero, glancing at the monitor that showed Ginny Weasley and Elena Vargas moving stealthily towards their 'check-in' point, the younger girl hobbling slightly due to her injured leg.

"How are the others doing?"

"Team One is fighting a running battle through in the south-west quadrant, they've pulled in over half of the Scopers, one of which is injured..."

"How long is that?"

"Thirty-two minutes, sir."

"Impressive for them," offered Nightrunner. "Not so much for your teams, Lieutenant."

"No sir," she glanced over the other screens. "Team Two is still holed up by the Green."

"Not much of a surprise," Nightrunner observed. "Mister Collier is a chlorokinetic after all. Any sign of Team Three?"

"Not in the last hour, sir. We think they may be phasing through buildings to avoid the cameras."

Nightrunner nodded. "I suspect either Starlight or L'rahh taught her that trick."

"Coffee, sir?" asked a civilian assistant who was wheeling a trolley into the control room.

"Thank you," said Nightrunner, rolling the front of his mask up to bare his mouth. "Black, please. It's been a long day."

"Yes sir."


---
SCOPE Urban Warfare Compound
Herefordshire WD3
20th June, 1000 BST



Ginny was sheltering against a building, exchanging fire with two Scopers near the exit when a siren blared out across the arena. Immediately, the incoming fire ceased and the exit whirred open.

"Time's up!" observed Elena with relief, sagging back against the building.

"Let's get out of here," said Ginny, holding out an arm for her to lean on.

They were about halfway to the exit when Amanda and her team-mate Louise drifted through the side of one of the buildings and joined. Amanda frowned at the bandage on Elena's shoulder. "Are you alright, Elena?" she asked, crossing to her side and taking Elena's other arm.

"A small plasma burn," Ginny told her. "I think she'll be fine, but I want Dr Copper to take a look at it."

"I'll let them know," said Louise, then skirted around the trio of girls and accelerating to a jog towards the exit.


---
Watchtower Meeting Room
Earth Orbit
25th June, 0200 EDT



He glanced over the assembled group - Nightrunner, Bulldog, Rachael Feldmann and the entire European Team - as he entered the private meeting room off the Watchtower's main hall. "Thank you for coming so early. I'll try and make this as brief as possible. Normally we'd have done this about a month ago, but then the Lost Boys case and Rapport's Coluan exchange trip came up, so I agreed to give Doctor Montrose more time to evaluate one of our potentials."

"How's Maddy doing by the way?" asked Harry, who was sitting half-way down the right-hand side of the table, with Maz on side and an empty chair on the other. His arm was still in a sling after he dislocated it in the fight with the Lost Boys.

"Still in transit, unfortunately," he admitted. "But there's been no sign of any issues. The Chuqal is due to make a scheduled stop at Thanagar in two days. We'll know more then."

"Thanks, sir."

"Now, let's get started. I assume you've all read the reports from the assessment team?" When he received nods or other affirmations from the other ten people present, he sat down and activated his personal screen, which automatically loaded the profiles of the candidates. "Does anyone have opening comments?"

The black-and-purple clad girl on his right hand raised a finger. "Rosa?"

"Given Madeline's absence, I assume that K'oll is a strong candidate?" The Italian asked, referring the latest arrival from M'arzz City.

The bald man paused to pull up the appropriate file and scanned it. The Green Martian was only a passable telekinetic, but was one of the most skilled shapeshifters he'd ever seen and the assessment team suggested that he was likely to be a strong, calming influence over the more impulsive members of the Team,. "I agree. Who's next?"

"Ginny Weasley," said Harry.

He paused, considering the question carefully. On the one hand, an extra magic user would be useful, particularly given that Harry would be out of action for a few more weeks, and her latest assessment had her 'acceptable' on her physical and psychological scores. On the other hand, she had no real combat experience and a known history of nightmares after dangerous situations. "I'm not entirely convinced that's a good idea, I know she wants it, and she'll be an asset for the next few weeks while you get back on your feet, but after that..."

"I think she'll do fine," said Maz. "She's inexperienced, but she's pretty tough."

"That's two in favour then?" he asked, and received nods from both. "Any dissenting?"

"I trust you, Harry, but with her history..." said Rosa. "Under the circumstances I'm not we can risk it."

"It wouldn't be a risk!"

"It would, Harry and you know it," she argued.

"Normally, I think I'd feel more comfortable if there were no objections... but her skills will be useful in the short term, so I think we should vote on it."

Rosa didn't look particularly happy about this, but didn't say anything, he sensed that she was thinking that they could always look at cutting her loose once Harry was back on his feet. "I want Doctor Jacobsen and Phil Liang, as Skybolt they've got power, flexibility and brains. Phil's also got some of the best combat scores I've seen in a long time."

"Not as good as Arquero," offered Peta, the half-Swedish North Sea Atlantean known as Little Mermaid.

"If I may?" asked Rachael.

"Go on."

"Arquero's combat abilities may look good on paper, he has a black belt in karate. But he's overly-impulsive, aggressive, relies entirely too much on his powers and he lost a sparring session against Weasley."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" exclaimed Harry and bolted upright.

"Harry, I'm with Rachael," Rosa reaching out to wave him down. "I know you're sweet on the girl and feel responsible for her, but she's only been in training for a few weeks, not the years it would take a black belt."

Harry settled back into his chair. "Fair point."

"So, where are we on Jacobsen and Liang?"

"I'm sold," said Peta.

None of the others had any to say about either, so he glanced over the files and pulled up another one. "Asad Aslam. Quraci shape-shifter, transforms into a lion. Mentored by Changeling at the Marie Logan Sanctuary. Nita?"

"I know him," the Zambesi-American mimic confirmed. "He's got a horrible attitude, no sense of team-work... and a rather mouthy sexist too."

Rachael made a noise that sounded like agreement at this. "Frankly, I think the only reason he's on the list is because one of the Originals recommended him... because I can 'mimic' pretty much any useful talent he has."

He had to admit that Gar's recommendation was a major factor. "Any other comments?"

There were none, so he moved on. "Any thoughts on Albert Collier?"

"I like him," said Peta.

Harry made a face. "Plant control? Maybe in a few years when he knows more about his subject... but at the moment he's too limited. Might be of use to COR after he's finished school though."

"He made a good showing at the live-fire exercise," offered Nightrunner. "But I think I agree with Harry. I know Poison Ivy was one of Gotham's most deadly supervillains for years but that was her seduction and poisoner routines as much as anything."

He'd fought Poison Ivy once or twice in his time, and he agreed. "I'll pass the message to COR. Any thoughts on Yusuf Akram?"

"Can't see the point if we already have Peta and Skybolt?" offered Harry. "Not unless we're 'quota watching' now. I can't see any other real point in his favour."

"I agree with Harry," said Rosa. "I also have similar objection to Louise Mann. He's a team player and decent enough with powers but with K'oll replacing Madeline as our telepath he's not needed."

He glanced around the table, nobody else seemed to want to weigh in so he switched to a different profile. "Elena Vargas, Portuguese, with the power to generate vibratory force beams and other sound related phenomenon from her hands."

"Needs to work on her situational awareness," noted Nightrunner. "She got shot in the leg by a Scoper marksman during the live-fire exercise. Reasonable scores for everything else though."

"Popular with the other candidates too," said Rachael.

Taking that as agreement, he pulled up the final file. "Finally, we have Amanda Pederson, German, can nullify meta-human powers using mentally generated 'webs'."

"A little limited," suggested Harry. "But I can think of least one operation that we've got on the back-burner that it could be useful for."

"Which one?" asked Rosa.

"Hamlin."

Rosa paused for a moment to consider that. "Point taken."

He paused to see if anyone had anything else to add, which they didn't. He pulled up the voting panel and then looked around the table. "Then lets vote."

He glanced over the names. K'oll M'dgall, Ginny Weasley, Doctor Jacobsen and Phil Liang, Salvador Arquero, Asad Aslam, Albert Collier, Yusuf Akram, Louise Mann, Elena Vargas and Amanda Perez.

He pondered the choices for a moment, then selected K'oll, Ginny Weasley, the Skybolt duo, Elena Vargas and Amanda Pederson. He wasn't surprised that within moments most of the others voted for the same options. "Thank you for your time," he said. "Maz, the twins are waiting for you in Central City for the 'Festival of the Rogues'."

The Sikh girl smiled. "I'll pack a bag and head over there this afternoon."

"Then the meeting is adjourned," the bald man rose from his seat at the head of the table, then paused for a moment. "Don't forget you're all welcome to attend the party on the fourth to welcome the new members."

"I'd like to give Ginny the good news?" asked Harry.

"I will take care the official filing, but if you want to tell her yourself, that would fine," he agreed. "Dismissed."

The seven teens filed out of the meeting room and quickly headed for their preferred 'hangouts' on the station. The bald man crossed over to his seat by the main computer bank and sat down. "Watchtower to Dome."

"This is Belphegor. Go ahead."

"The votes are in. Ginny Weasley, Elena Vargas, Amanda Pederson and Skybolt are in, Salvador Arquero, Yusuf Akram, Albert Collier and Louise Mann are not. Can you inform them and the Police Fédérale and SCOPE as appropriate?

"Of course."

"Thanks very much. Watchtower out." The bald man paused a moment, then opened the channel a third time. "Watchtower to Sanctuary."

"They've decided then?"

"Yes, Gar. Unfortunately your boy didn't make the cut."

"Can't say I'm that surprised. I only put him forward because I'd like him to get out more. Noor is considering recruiting him for the Presidential Guard anyway. I assume that K'oll make the cut though?"

"Yep. I think he would have anyway, but Maddy's departure made it a lock. Are you coming up for the Fourth?"

"Wouldn't miss it for anything sort of the apocalypse."

"Don't joke about that sort of thing, Gar!" the bald man growled.

"Yeesh, sorry. Bye!"

The old man frowned for a moment.

*Can we 'take the pin out' yet?* A teasing, feminine voice asked in his head.

The man smiled, she could always make him feel better. *Why not.*

---

A/N: This one didn't take as long as I'd feared. Next one will, unfortunately take a good bit longer, but with a bit of luck I might be able to get it out before Cursed Child hits the shelves.
Reviews 35
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear