Search:

SIYE Time:15:12 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Not From Others
By FloreatCastellum

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP, Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 348
Summary: She may not have been able to join Harry, Ron and Hermione, but Ginny refuses to go down without a fight. As war approaches, Ginny returns to Hogwarts to resurrect Dumbledore's Army and face the darkest year the wizarding world has ever seen.

DH from Ginny's POV. Canon.
Hitcount: Story Total: 108212; Chapter Total: 3283
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The Great Hall was as beautiful as ever, but the unpleasant appearance of Snape sitting in Dumbledore’s chair made Ginny feel as though she was in a bizarre and terrible dream. Demelza had joined her after they disembarked the carriages, along with the other sixth year Gryffindor girls, Zaha Alfarsi and Polly Beckett. Polly looked awkwardly at Luna, who had followed them to the Gryffindor table, and exchanged a befuddled smirk with Zaha, but Ginny deliberately scooted across to make space for her. Luna, who casually hid the Ravenclaw crest on her robes with her long blonde hair, did not appear to notice the surrounding Gryffindors’ discomfort.

‘You’ll need to hide your tie too,’ advised Neville.

‘Oh, no one will pay any attention to that,’ she said dreamily.

He shrugged, and looked up at the staff table. ‘Look at him,’ he muttered mutinously. ‘Sitting up there…’

‘Bloody outrageous is what it is,’ growled Seamus.

‘Was it definitely him though?’ asked Polly hesitantly. She glanced at Ginny. ‘I mean, you know I don’t believe what the press said, you know I don’t think it was Potter, but…’

‘It was definitely Snape,’ said Ginny, staring at Snape with as much hatred as she could muster. He was surveying the hall with a bored expression, paying very little attention to the staff around him. She wondered how he had looked when he murdered Dumbledore; whether that lazy expression had shown excitement, or fear, or even shame.

‘We don’t like Potter anyway,’ said Seamus quickly, and Ginny winced at his lack of subtlety. ‘Not after what he did to Ginny.’

Zaha raised her eyebrows, but said nothing. Instead, she drummed her fingers impatiently on the table and looked towards the small door at the side of the hall. ‘I hope they hurry, none of us got anything on the train, I’m starving.’

‘McGonagall’s still up there,’ said Neville. ‘Why isn’t she with the first years?’

Indeed, there was Professor McGonagall, looking very stern and deep in conversation with Professor Sprout. Both witches kept throwing filthy glances to Snape, and to a strawberry blonde, nasty looking woman who was sitting where Professor Burbrage usually was. She was short and plump, with piggy little eyes that were watching the students with glee.

‘The Defence seat is empty,’ noted Zaha. ‘Maybe whoever’s doing that subject this year is with them.’

Neville’s face fell. ‘It’s always McGonagall. It’s not the same without McGonagall.’

‘Nothing’s the same now, Neville,’ said Ginny irritably. He looked hurt, but Ginny was in such a foul mood that she didn’t feel the slightest bit guilty. She was missing Hermione, Harry and Ron more than ever, and couldn’t stop fidgeting, adrenaline inexplicably making her legs shake.

The hall was beginning to settle; students had found their friends and were now sitting at the long tables, a low murmuring filling the hall like buzzing insects as they gossiped about Snape. There were many curious faces staring at Ginny, and she suddenly felt very uncomfortable and unsure about how to hold herself; where was the normal place to put your arms when sitting at a crowded table? She found herself silently praying that the right gossip had been spread far and wide, but rather than sympathetic expressions, most students were looking at her with an odd expectation, as though she was about to stand up and reveal Harry to the world.

A hush descended as the side door opened with an echoing clatter. A pallid-looking wizard entered, grinning widely and giving a wave to the new witch at the staff table. Ginny recognized him immediately, she could remember him throwing curses at her the night Dumbledore died, and how he had flown backwards into a wall as Harry retaliated with fury. A lump rose in her throat, and she felt oddly afraid to speak.

‘That must be the new Defence teacher,’ whispered Polly.

‘I know him!’ whispered Zaha frantically. ‘He’s called Amycus Carrow. He-’

She fell silent as the first years trooped in, conscious of the burning glare Snape was giving them from the high table. Carrow took out the wobbly looking stool and tattered Sorting Hat, but as the rim opened and began sing, he snatched it back up, stopping the hat at once.

An outraged chattering swept through the hall as older students awaited the Sorting song. Carrow scowled at them all, and Snape began to call for silence, but the absence of the tradition overruled any fleeting desire to obey the rules.

‘What in the name of Merlin’s…?’ Seamus was saying angrily. ‘I was really looking forward to hearing what it had to say!’

‘That’s probably why we’re not allowed to hear it,’ replied Neville, who had thumped the table with his fist. ‘Remember the last few years it’s been filled with stuff about uniting against darkness?’

‘Yeah, we don’t want the Hat talking about Dumbledore or encouraging us to fight against evil, do we?’ exclaimed Ginny sarcastically. ‘Not with You-Know-Who’s right hand man in charge.’

Snape stood up, looking furious. He raised his wand to his throat, and hid drawling voice was magnified across the hall. ‘Silence.’

He gave a sharp nod to Carrow, who grinned appreciatively and pulled out a roll of parchment. He began to call out a list of names, but Ginny was not paying attention. She stared into Snape’s ruthless face, and she felt like he was staring back, but she was so far away that he was probably just staring into the crowd.

When Carrow announced ‘Gardner, Samuel’, there was a complete silence. No student walked forward, and confused whispers rippled down the tables.

‘That must have been the kid that was pulled off the train,’ muttered Ginny.

‘What?’ asked Demelza. She was going increasingly pale.

‘Yeah, by his mum,’ said Ginny, but before she could say anymore, Polly hushed her, looking urgently at the high table.

Carrow repeated the name twice more before shaking his head, and making a short note on the parchment. Snape furrowed his brow, his expression turning to disgust. With each first year sorted, the older students tried to show enthusiasm, but Ginny struggled to summon a realistic expression of excitement. The only house that appeared to be genuinely thrilled was Slytherin; the only able that also appeared to be completely full.

After the Sorting, Snape stood. The students remained silent, but only the Slytherins looked at him with any kind of respect or interest.

‘Welcome to another year at Hogwarts,’ he said briskly. ‘I would like to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Carrow, whom you just watched performing the Sorting ceremony, and his sister, also Professor Carrow,’ he gestured to the blonde witch, ‘who will be taking over the subject of Muggle studies after Professor Burbage’s resignation.’

‘Resignation my arse,’ muttered Ginny. Neville grinned at her.

‘Both Professor Carrow and Professor Carrow will also be taking on the joint responsibilities of Deputy Heads.’
There were outraged gasps, and Professor McGonagall’s mouth formed a thin, furious line, but Snape continued as if he had noticed nothing.

‘There are a few more start of term notices, if you’ll all please settle down. As always, the forest is out of bounds, as are any Zonkos or Weasley Wizard Wheezes products. There is an earlier curfew this year of 6pm for all students, after which there should be no students out of their respective dorm or common rooms. Furthermore, in accordance with new Ministry guidelines there are changes to the curriculum. Muggle Studies is now a core subject to be taken by all students along with Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Quidditch is henceforth cancelled until further notice.’

There was a huge roar of disapproval, but Snape had apparently been expecting it and merely waited until the shouting had stopped.

‘As I am sure you are aware, the current political situation is tense, with many changes ahead in an effort to improve our society. If you have information regarding any students that have not attended Hogwarts this year, I urge you to speak to a member of staff as soon as possible, for their safety as well as your own. For older students, it ought to be remembered that the relationships you make with staff during your school days can be crucial in securing references for later employment, so you would do well to cooperate.’

He sat back down again, and there was an awkward silence before the tables filled with food. Students grabbed at it ravenously, many still very much annoyed at the missing sweets trolley on the train.

‘Well, that was cheerful,’ said Seamus, helping himself to handfuls of chips. ‘He’s never bloody happy, is he? Years he wanted that Defense job, and he finally got it and even looked miserable then. Now he’s the Headmaster and he still looks like someone’s pissed in his pumpkin juice.’

‘He’s awful,’ said Polly. ‘Just awful. I just…’ Words seemed to fail her and she shook her head sadly.

‘What were you saying about that new Defense teacher, Zaha?’ asked Seamus.

Zaha swallowed a large mouthful of chicken before answering. ‘He’s evil. Evil. My Dad worked as an assistant in the Wizengamot, when he first moved here in the 80s. On his first day he realized how corrupt the place was, because this bloke Carrow was on trial for doing awful things to Muggles, said he was under the Imperious curse and then they just let him go!’ she stabbed at the roast potatoes furiously. ‘And then what’s worse is that he was given a Ministry job and my dad ended up working with him! I remember going into the office with my mum when I was little, and he kept trying to talk to me but Dad pulled me away. He hated him, never trusted him.’

‘So he’s a Death Eater?’ said Neville, his eyes narrowing.

‘Probably. He was then. But, you know, he claimed he was innocent, so I don’t know.’

‘He tried to torture me the night Dumbledore died,’ said Ginny, gripping her fork tightly. ‘Harry got him with a jinx.’

‘Good,’ said Neville. He looked up at the staff table with distaste. ‘Although bloody terrifying that he’s here.’

‘His sister looks nasty too,’ said Ginny, glaring up at the ugly little witch. ‘It’s really weird that they’ve made Muggle Studies compulsory, and it’s worrying that she’s teaching it.’

‘Snape keeps looking at me,’ said Luna. ‘I don’t think he’s happy that I’m sitting with you all.’

‘Ignore him,’ said Ginny viciously. ‘He can’t do anything, it’s not against the rules.’

‘Oh, I think it is,’ said Luna. ‘I just thought we were starting our D.A stuff as soon as we got here.’

‘The D.A’s back?’ asked Demelza abruptly. ‘Can I join this time? I was so jealous when I found out that you lot had been doing all that stuff.’

‘Sure,’ said Neville, looking very proud. ‘Why weren’t you in it before?’

Demelza blushed and looked meekly at Ginny. ‘None of us, er… None of us believed You-Know-Who was back…’

‘Don’t sweat it,’ said Seamus. ‘If Harry forgave me enough to let me join, he’d forgive you too.’
Demelza, Zaha and Polly all looked very relieved, and Ginny began to feel quite excited. She had never been particularly close to her dorm mates, but without Hermione here she was keen to become better friends with them.

‘We should be careful though,’ said Luna. ‘We don’t want someone revealing our secrets again.’

‘You’re right,’ nodded Neville, looking thoughtful. ‘Gryffindors only, d’you think?’ Luna scowled, and Neville went pale with realization. ‘Oh! I forgot! I meant-‘

‘I know what you meant,’ said Luna coldly.

‘He didn’t mean it, Luna,’ said Ginny swiftly. ‘Gryffindors and their allies?’

Luna nodded, but still looked unusually grumpy. The rest of the meal continued on a more positive note; the plentiful food greatly improving their moods and increasing their feelings of resilience. They had noted the absence of the majority of Muggleborns, though Ginny spotted the Creevy brothers eating happily. Demelza informed her that they had managed to fake documents with her family’s help, claiming that they were cousins.

‘You wouldn’t believe how long we were all grilled for though,’ she said, helping herself to blackberry and apple crumble. ‘For a while I was sure we’d all be arrested.’

‘Snape must know though,’ said Ginny, feeling very distressed. ‘It’s only a matter of time before he remembers, surely? Colin and that bleeding camera, he didn’t exactly hide his background, did he?’

Demelza shrugged. ‘He hasn’t done anything so far. Fingers crossed, eh?’

Towards the end of the meal, Professor McGonagall approached, looking very stressed. ‘Longbottom,’ she said, touching his shoulder and bending slightly. Her voice was low and anxious. ‘I’m sure you’re aware, but both Miss Granger and Mr Weasley have not arrived. We’re now short of Prefects, and I was hoping you would take on the role until Mr Weasley is back?’

‘Me?’ asked Neville, stunned.

‘Yes,’ McGonagall replied, impatiently. ‘I assure you, you’re quite capable. I’ll be asking Miss Patil to replace Ms Granger, but I’ll need you both to lead the first years to the common room even if you decide not to take on the position.’

‘Er, sure,’ mumbled Neville, looking very uncertain. ‘But-’

‘Thank you,’ she said shortly, stalking off before he could protest.

‘Blimey,’ he said. ‘Never imagined I’d get that, and certainly not like this.’

‘You’ll be very good,’ said Luna. ‘Better than Ron, I expect.’

Ginny cackled over her custard, and Seamus and Neville grinned at her appreciatively. Demelza and Polly looked stunned at the apparent rudeness, and Zaha was looking at Ginny with great concern, but Luna continued to eat her pudding, humming quite happily to herself.

When their table was dismissed by Snape, Pavarti rushed over and tugged on Neville’s arm. ‘Come on,’ she urged him. ‘We have to get to the first years. They’re all terrified.’

‘Pavarti,’ said Ginny quickly. ‘Have you been telling people? What I told you?’

Pavarti rolled her eyes. ‘Are you joking? I’ve had to talk about it all dinner, it’s been quite dull. It’s not just him though, everyone wants to know if you’re in touch with Hermione too. I’m sorry, but we really have to go.’

She dragged Neville away as Ginny swore. ‘I didn’t even think of a story for that,’ she said to herself.

‘So it is just a story?’ asked Zaha quietly as they left the hall.

Ginny’s heart sank. ‘Please, Zaha. Please understand. He broke my heart. I don’t want to talk about it.’

They arrived in the cosy common room just as Neville was leading a gaggle of nervous boys up to their dormitory. The fire was crackling merrily in the grate and Crookshanks was tormenting Arnold on the rug. Ginny scooped Arnold up and gave a half-hearted kick in the direction of the cat, who looked up at her with an expression that simply said, ‘I know you don’t have it in you to actually hurt me.’

The only sign that anything was wrong was the noticeboard, where the new rules that Snape had discussed at dinner had been pinned up, along with the ‘Undesirable’ poster of Harry that Ginny had seen at the Ministry. Romilda Vane and a group of giggling fifth years were gathered underneath it, and they had scribbled out the ‘Un’ with thick black ink.
For once, Ginny was rather pleased that they fancied Harry so much.

She yawned widely, absent mindedly scratching Arnold on top of his fluffy body. ‘I think I might go straight to bed,’ she told Zaha. She had no desire to stay up repeating the same old speech about her broken heart. There was just time to warmly embrace Colin and express her joy that he was here, before she climbed the stairs and went to her familiar bed.

The pillows were soft and the blankets heavy; they seemed to prompt Ginny into realizing how exhausted and tense she had been all day. Crookshanks purred contentedly at her feet and Arnold had buried himself between her pillow and headboard. Through a slight gap in her curtains, she could see Polly sitting on the edge of her bed, elegantly pulling her dark blonde hair out of a braid and nodding interestedly at Demelza’s gossiping.

‘I told her, of course,’ Demelza was saying, and Ginny could hear her thumping around, no doubt wriggling out of her robes. ‘I knew he wouldn’t be interested, but she couldn’t resist-’

Ginny’s eyelids were heavy… Crookshanks purrs vibrated against her feet…

‘Oh, tell me she didn’t embarrass herself? Good Lord, that girl…’

‘I know! Honestly, she should spend less time hanging round Romilda and more time…’

Her breaths were becoming deeper… Demelza’s shrill voice was fading away… The leaves in the orchard were swaying… How was she supposed to play Quidditch with a chocolate Eater egg? Utterly ridiculous… Ron and Hermione were laughing together, but Harry was flying with his back turned to her… A woman was whispering…

Her eyes snapped open, she felt alert. Her heart was thudding in her chest, but the room was still. Through the gap in the curtains, Polly’s face was peaceful and still, ghostly pale in the moonlight. She felt uncomfortable and frightened, unsure of why she had woken so abruptly only a few hours after falling asleep.

A rough pair of hands grabbed her legs fiercely, and she was so stunned that all she could do was gasp. Crooshanks yowled and leapt high in the air, hissing, suddenly she could hear Zaha screaming and Demelza yelling, and Polly’s face was watching her, horrified, as she was dragged out of bed onto the hard floor boards, hitting her head on the bedside table with a blinding smack.

She was still tangled in her bedsheets, and the dark figure looming over her was trying to drag her away, she was kicking at them and yelling and trying to get up but the figure was strong and persistent and she could hear her dorm mates screaming her name as she was hauled painfully down the stairs.

In the light of the common room, she could see the reddish-blonde hair and pock-marked cheeks of Alecto Carrow, her stubby fingers gripping tight around Ginny’s ankles. Her face was pulled into a sneer; she seemed to delight in the noises the girls were making, and now the other Gryffindors were coming down, bleary-eyed, to see what was going on.

‘Squirmy little thing, aren’t yeh?’ Carrow cackled. She finally released Ginny, but threw a painful kick at the base of her spine.

Another, deeper laugh sounded, and Amycus Carrow stepped forward into Ginny’s sight, pointing his wand at her face. “Crucio.”

Screaming, fire, anguish, everything was pain, there was nothing anymore, there was no hope, it would never end, surely she would die this way…

It was over and she was panting, her face shivering against the carpet. She could hear other students screaming and crying, Neville was roaring swear words, she heard him run towards them but there was a bang and a thump and the Carrows were laughing even more.

‘Just a little taste for yeh,’ Amycus said, leering down at Ginny. ‘Now, we’ve heard some interesting things about you and Potter...’
Reviews 348
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear