Search:

SIYE Time:1:27 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Abraxas
By Brennus

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Rape, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 369
Summary: It started with a surprising proposals from an unexpected source, but that was only the beginning. Soon, Harry finds himself dealing with forces beyond his imagination and dreams, and ultimately finds that the world is not what he believed it to be.
Hitcount: Story Total: 99086; Chapter Total: 3821





Author's Notes:
Another chapter with no dead bodies. Shocking, isn’t it?

I know a lot of people are quite taken by the thought of pairing Neville and Luna together, but I’ve never thought it made much sense – they’re just too different. Still, as this is a sort of ‘Ministry Six’ type of story, I should at least make a token effort in that direction. I did come perilously close to titling this chapter ‘Neville’s Sausage’.

Huge wobbly thanks to Arnel, with sprinkles on top.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 14 — Turn of the Season



“Do you think I should schedule an extra practice session for the Quidditch team?” Harry pondered as they made their way down to breakfast one morning.

“Whyzaat?” Ron mumbled, still half asleep.

“We have a game against Hufflepuff coming up next week,” Harry pointed out, with only a slight note of exasperation.

“Blimey, you’re right! I’d completely forgotten,” Ron exclaimed.

“Ron Weasley actually forgot about a Quidditch game? Oh, my poor heart!” Hermione cried, clutching at her chest theatrically.

“Hey, I do think about other stuff, you know,” he responded with a frown. “What with the Defence Club, all this extra training we’ve been doing on top of our normal lessons, I’ve barely had time to think.”

“I know, and it’s very commendable that you’re devoting your time to more important things than playing sports,” Hermione told her boyfriend warmly.

“Yeah, like trying to get in her knickers whenever they have the chance,” Ginny whispered in Harry’s ear.

Suppressing a snigger, Harry decided that an extra practice session would probably be a good idea, even if it put more pressure on their already packed timetable. Although they’d won their first game under his captainship in early October, he doubted it would be so easy this time. Since Urquhart’s sacking as captain of Slytherin, Draco Malfoy had taken his place and had proven to be an ineffectual leader. His game plan had seemed to consist of insulting the Gryffindors at every opportunity and yelling at his team when they didn’t do what he wanted. In fact, he’d been yelling at Crabbe, who had been demonstrating that he had no tactical awareness whatsoever when it came to being a Beater, when Harry had effortlessly caught the Snitch. The 260 to 20 victory had proved satisfying, if not much of a challenge to anyone on the Gryffindor team.

“We’ll put in a couple of hours practice tomorrow night,” he announced as they descended the stairs towards the Great Hall. “No point overdoing things.”

“I’ll make sure Katie and Demelza know,” Ginny promised.

“Yeah, and I’ll tell Coote and Peakes. Let’s face it, they need the practice,” Ron grumbled.

“Actually, tomorrow is a good night to do it,” Luna piped up. She been waiting for them at the top of the stairs. “We’ll be hosting the first and second years in the Defence Club that night, and Neville and I can look after them.”

“Yeah, no problem at all,” Neville confirmed. “They’re a good bunch, after all.”

“Great,” Harry announced, happy with the plan.

By that point, they’d reached the Great Hall and they were looking forward to enjoying a hearty breakfast on this cold autumn morning. They’d just entered when a commotion coming from the Ravenclaw table caught Harry’s attention.

“What’s going on over there?” Ginny asked.

Harry looked over to where a number of the younger Ravenclaws appeared to be having a dispute with a couple of the older students. Things appeared to be getting quite heated and several of the youngsters had their wands out.

“Those are my first years!” Luna cried and began to run towards the table. A second later, the rest of them followed.

“What’s going on here?” Luna demanded as soon as she reached the table, not sounding like her normal dreamy self, at all.

“We found out who has been nicking your stuff, Luna!” a plump first year girl cried, pointing at a pair of Ravenclaw girls who were standing glaring at her. “It was these gits!”

“That’s a lie,” one of the girls, who Harry thought was called Loretta, spat.

“We saw you coming out of the dorm with Luna’s trainers,” a small, blond boy retorted. “She’s the only one who wears pink shoes, so they must have been hers!”

“Yeah, and I’ve seen you coming out of there with loads of other things. You’ve been going through Luna’s trunk, haven’t you?” the girl accused them again.

“Oh, I was rather hoping it was the Gulping Plimpies,” Luna said sadly.

“Shut it, you midgets,” the other fifth year snarled at the youngsters. “You’ve got no proof that we did anything. Anyway, who cares what happens to that weirdo, anyway. She’s a disgrace to our House.”

“Luna’s brilliant!” the small girl screeched, and was immediately backed up by the other first and second years.

“Have you two been stealing items from another pupil’s trunk?” Hermione demanded, obviously feeling the need to take charge.

“Shove off, Granger, this is nothing to do with you!” Loretta growled.

“Well, as the Ravenclaw prefects don’t appear to be doing anything, I can see it’s up to me,” Hermione retorted.

Harry looked down the table to see if this actually invoked any response from the Ravenclaw prefects. As he recalled, Cho and Marcus Belby were the seventh year prefects, and Anthony Goldstein and Mandy Brocklehurst held the sixth year positions, but none of them seemed in the least bit interested in stepping in.

“Well, this is still nothing to do with you. You Gryffindors can shove off and mind your own business!” Loretta yelled.

“Then perhaps you can explain the situation to me, Miss Cornhill,” a squeaky voice demanded.

They turned and saw Professor Flitwick standing there, looking rather intimidating despite his diminutive size.

The first and second years immediately launched into a confused and noisy explanation of what had been happening, until the Professor managed to quieten them.

“Children, please! One at a time! Perhaps it would be best if Miss Granger explained what has occurred.”

“Miss Lovegood has been having her personal items taken and left in random places around the castle for weeks,” Hermione explained. “At first, she thought it might have been Peeves or one of the other ghosts, but these first and second years caught these two fifth years coming out of the girls’ dorm carrying some of Luna’s possessions. It appears that they have been stealing items from her trunk and hiding them. I have to say, Professor, I’m also a little worried about the lack of interest your prefects have in this matter. They seem quite happy to sit back and just watch.”

“They’re all useless!” one of the first year boys shouted. “They never give us any help, even when we ask for it. Luna’s been the only person in our house that has actually explained anything to us!”

“Yeah, we were all taking the long way round to get to Herbology lessons until she showed us a shortcut. She’s been fantastic!” another added. “When we ask the prefects anything, they just tell us to get lost!”

“Miss Chang, Mr Belby; come here please!” Flitwick called out. Reluctantly, the two senior Ravenclaw prefects stood and walked over. They looked at their Head of House sheepishly. “Well? What do you have to say about these accusations?”

“We’ve been really busy, sir. It’s our NEWT year, after all, and I know you want us to do our best,” Cho replied defensively.

“That does not excuse you turning away first years who require your help!” Flitwick declared firmly. “Now, what do you know about these thefts?”

“It was just a harmless prank,” Belby said with a shrug.

“You knew about this and did nothing? That’s terrible!” Hermione yelled angrily.

“Excuse me, Professor, if I could just say something?”

They turned to see the Head Girl, Tamsin Applebee, hurrying over.

“Certainly, Miss Applebee. If you can add any clarity to this situation, I would be most grateful,” Flitwick nodded.

“This isn’t the first incident I’ve heard of regarding senior Ravenclaw prefects neglecting their duties. I’ve had to speak to both Chang and Belby about not keeping to their patrol schedules. As they both said they were doing extra studying, I let it slide with just a warning, but the fact that they’re also providing no help to the younger pupils doesn’t surprise me. I thought you should know, sir.”

“I see,” Flitwick said coldly. “Clearly, I’m going to have to have a serious think about the prefect positions, as you two clearly don’t seem to be able to cope. You will both report to me after dinner tonight. As for the rest of you, let me make it quite clear that theft is a grounds for expulsion from this school. If I hear of anyone taking items from another pupil’s trunk or locker, they will be expelled, and, no, I don’t care if it was meant to be a prank or not. Am I clear?”

There was a mumbled indication of agreement from the Ravenclaw table.

“Good, now, Miss Cornhill and Miss Ettington, the items that you took from Miss Lovegood’s trunk, where are they?”

“We hid them in the Owlery, sir,” Ettington admitted, close to tears.

“Then you can go and retrieve them right now, and anything else you may have taken from her. Go now!” the small man barked.

The two girls practically sprinted from the room.

“Miss Lovegood, if you experience any more of your possessions going missing, please do let me know. In fact, if you experience any other form of harassment come and see me,” Flitwick told her kindly.

“Thank you,” Luna beamed at him.

“Oh, and while I’m at it, ten House points to you first and second years for standing up for a fellow House member,” Flitwick smiled at them, before the grin vanished from his face. “Sadly, I don’t think that will do much to counter all the points I’m going to have to take from my prefects.”

With a sad nod at his assembled pupils, he headed back to the teachers’ table.

“I’m going to have breakfast with my young friends, here,” Luna declared. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Sure, Luna, come over when it’s time for class and grab me,” Ginny said warmly.

The Gryffindors all headed to their own table and sat down. Mercifully, no further dramas occurred and they were left to eat in peace, although Harry couldn’t fail to notice both Ginny and Hermione casting dark glances towards the end of the Ravenclaw table where the senior pupils were seated.

The peace couldn’t last, however, and as Harry and his friends were leaving the hall after their meal, a sharp call made him look round. He saw Cho marching towards him looking deeply upset.

“How could you, Harry?” she complained bitterly. “I might very well lose my prefect status because of this! How could you just stand there and let them berate me like that?”

“What did you expect me to do?” he replied coldly. “You’re the one who has been turning a blind eye while those little bitches played their cruel games on Luna. Not to mention it sounds like you’ve done nothing to help the junior members of your house. I think you deserve a dressing down.”

“I was just trying to get a head start with my studies,” she protested. “These exams are important!”

“Oh, so everything else can go hang just because you want to do well, is that it?” he snapped. “You’ve been given a job to do, Cho, and if you can’t do it you should just step aside.”

“Why are you being so nasty to me?” she wailed. “We use to be so close! Ever since you started going out with that toxic midget you haven’t got the time of day for me anymore.”

“How would you like an extended stay in the hospital wing?” Ginny said threateningly.

“Besides, Chang, Ginny is a thousand times better suited to Harry than you’ll ever be,” Hermione added. “Just because you went out with him once you should stop acting like he owes you something.”

“See, Harry, you’re surrounding yourself with total bitches!” Cho raged at him. “What she did to poor Marietta wasn’t enough for Granger, was it? No, she has to try and get me sacked as a prefect, too. You better watch out, Weasley, she might decide she suddenly wants to replace you as Harry’s girlfriend.”

Hermione calmly stepped forward and slapped Cho across the face hard enough to send her reeling. She stood over the sobbing Ravenclaw with a hard expression on her face.

“I have no interest Harry romantically, you stupid girl. But I am his best friend, and I know the kind of person who is best suited to him, and let me tell you, Chang, that’s not you!” Hermione said in a slow, angry tone. “Do you think this is some sort of game? That it’s all about you? You stupid bitch! People are dying out there while you’re moaning about how hard done by you are. Edgecombe could have got people killed by turning on us, so she could count herself lucky she got off with just a few spots! As for you, you need to get your head out of your backside and start taking your responsibilities seriously. There are low-life scum in Slytherin who love to prey on first years, so you need to start keeping an eye on them. That’s a prefect’s job, and if you can’t do that you better turn your badge in.”

“If you ever insult Ginny or any of my friends again, you won’t like the results,” Harry added, looking down at the girl in disgust.

The six of them turned and walked away, leaving Chang sprawled out on the floor crying.

“What did I ever see in her?” Harry muttered in disgust as they headed for the stairs.

“You were young and stupid,” Ginny said, grinning. “You’ve matured a bit since then, which is why I thought you deserved my company.”

“Thank Merlin for that,” he laughed, slipping his arm around her shoulders as they walked.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPH P

The Norwegian Ridgeback dragon bristled the spikes along its back and let loose an ear-splitting roar, huge globs of acidic saliva dripping from its jaws as it did so. Harry casually walked up to the huge beast and laid an affectionate hand on its nose.

“It’s incredibly lifelike, Harry,” Dumbledore congratulated him, walking over to join him. “I would never have guessed it wasn’t the real thing.”

“It’s brilliant!” Ginny said enthusiastically.

“Thanks,” he said. “I did have to spend quite a long time studying pictures of it before I could get it right. Until I had a clear image of the dragon in my mind I couldn’t even begin to start creating this thing.”

“Think how useful this could be! Conjure up this beauty during a Death Eater attack and you’d scare the living daylights out of them,” Ginny smiled.

“Indeed. Top marks, Harry. When I asked you to create an illusionary image, I had not considered this would be your contribution. Now, Miss Weasley, what do you have for me?” Dumbledore asked.

“Well, I was thinking along completely different lines,” she admitted. “I was thinking more of something that could be used to hide something in plain sight. So I created this.”

Stepping back, Ginny raised her wand and with a quick swish a small two-story Muggle house appeared right in front of them.

“Wow! That’s fantastic,” Harry exclaimed.

Dumbledore, in the meantime, had walked up to the house and tapped it a couple of times with his finger.

“Remarkable. Am I correct in thinking that not only is this illusion completely solid, you have worked in various spells to hide whatever is contained inside it?”

Ginny nodded.

“Most wonderful. If threatened, you could cast this illusion over an object or person and they would remain completely hidden from sight. Do you have any idea how long you can maintain this illusion?”

“Ah, that’s the only downside of this,” she admitted. “It’s fine if I’m around to maintain the image, but if I’m out of sight of it, it only lasts half-an-hour or so.”

“Still, it is a great achievement. In fact, you have both surpassed my expectations by a wide margin,” the old wizard smiled.

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said happily.

“Professor, while we have you here, can we discuss the Christmas holidays?” Ginny asked abruptly.

“Ah, I wondered if you would be raising this topic with me, Miss Weasley,” Dumbledore smiled indulgently. “You do not wish your boyfriend to have to return to his relatives’ home during the break, I presume.”

“No, sir, I don’t,” she replied defiantly.

“I think it would be a bad idea, anyway,” Harry interrupted. “The protection the house affords me will cease come next July and, frankly, I don’t want to be anywhere near the place once it does. If it becomes known that I don’t live there anymore it will be safer for the Dursleys, too.”

“I do see your logic, Harry,” Dumbledore admitted, “although I would like to maintain the protection as long as possible.”

“If I go back in the summer, that house will end up being nothing more than a trap for me. Umbridge clearly knew of its location, and we can therefore expect that Voldemort will now, too. The Ministry isn’t terribly good keeping secrets now, is it? No, Privet Drive is bound to be watched by this point, and I can’t afford to be cornered there. It’s best if I don’t return.”

“I suppose,” Dumbledore agreed reluctantly. “Do you wish to remain here at the castle during the Christmas break?”

“Actually, sir, Ginny mentioned her family might have to spend the holiday at Grimmauld Place. I gather Arthur Weasley is a bit worried about security at the Burrow what with Order members being targeted aggressively at the moment. I’d like to join them there, if I could.”

Dumbledore nodded. “It’s as safe a place as anywhere, although I hesitated to suggest it as I thought it might bring back bitter memories for you.”

“12 Grimmauld Place is my property now, so I should get used to the place,” Harry said firmly. “Besides, it will give me a chance to have a think about what changes I want to make to it. It might well be my home one day soon, and I don’t want it to remain in the state it’s in now.”

“Yeah,” Ginny agreed, “besides, it might end up being my home too, and I’m not living in a filthy hovel like that!”

“Ah, it seems Miss Weasley has designs on marriage already, Harry,” Dumbledore chuckled. “Would you like me to distract her while you make a run for it?”

“Too late, sir,” Harry replied tragically, “she already knows all my best hiding places.”

“Oh well, send me the wedding list when it’s completed. I’m sure I could spring for a nice set of chinaware.”

Harry and Dumbledore’s laughter was quickly stilted by Ginny’s frosty glare. It was remarkable how much she resembled her mother when she did that, Harry thought ruefully.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“… and so it just leaves me to thank you all for your hard work this year and wish you all a Merry Christmas,” Harry said, addressing the assembled sixth and seventh years. “Oh, the Defence Club has a little Christmas prezzie for each of you which my friends will be handing out as you leave. Have a good break.”

Numerous shouts of ‘Merry Christmas!’ and similar good wishes were directed at him, before the senior students all began to shuffle out the door. He’d worked them hard today, dividing them into two groups and alternatively making one group defend a small illusionary wood while the other attempted to overrun it. The club members had all taken to the task enthusiastically and generally performed well. He was proud of them.

As they headed out of the door, each of the students was handed a neatly wrapped parcel by either Ginny, Hermione or Ron. Each parcel contained one of Fred and George’s patented Shield hats, gloves or scarves, along with a brief instruction sheet. Hopefully, none of the group would figure out the actual monetary value of the gift they had been given for a while. To Harry, the Galleons were well spent if it saved even one person from injury.

The last few people were just leaving the Room of Requirement when Harry noticed one girl hanging back. He recognised her as being Susan Bones, the busty, red-haired Hufflepuff. The young witch was considered something of a knockout by most males in the castle, although Harry’s opinion of her was tempered by the fact she’d been one of Cedric Diggory’s loudest supporters during the Triwizard Tournament and had worn one of the ‘Potter Stinks’ badges rather prominently. Fortunately, it didn’t appear to be him that she was waiting to speak to.

“Neville? Can I have a quick word?” Bones asked.

“Umm, yeah,” Neville confirmed nervously. Ernie Macmillan was still being rather unpleasant to him and generally he wasn’t well thought of by the Hufflepuffs.

“I’m not here to cause trouble, I promise!” Bones said quickly, perhaps noticing Neville’s apprehension. “I have a message from Hannah that she wanted to pass on. She’s really sorry that Ernie’s being a prat to you, and she has told him to stop but, well, things are a bit complicated between them at the moment and she doesn’t want to upset him.”

“I understand,” Neville sighed.

“Hannah knows you weren’t trying to break her and Ernie up, and I think she would have loved to have gone out with you if she was free but… she and Ernie have been together for quite a while now, and she wants to patch things up between them. Ernie’s her oldest friend and she hates it when they fight. You understand, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I said I did, didn’t I?” Neville repeated with a hint of tetchiness creeping into his voice.

“Yes, well, Hannah just wanted you to know that,” Susan said nervously, aware of the gaze of all of Neville’s friends on her. “Look, for what it’s worth, I think Hannah’s making a mistake. She and Ernie are growing in different directions and anyone can see they’re not suited for each other anymore. Hopefully she’ll come to her senses soon, but she’s just too loyal for her own good, sometimes.”

“Yeah, thanks for passing on the message, Susan. It’s appreciated.”

With a quick nod, Bones hurried out of the room, clutching her present tightly. As soon as she’d gone, Neville’s shoulders slumped.

“Never mind, Neville. It’s like Susan said: I really can’t see Hannah and Ernie lasting much longer. They’re always rowing,” Hermione said sympathetically.

“You and Ron are always fighting, but I don’t see you and him breaking up anytime soon,” he pointed out.

“That’s not rowing, that’s a form of foreplay for those two,” Ginny said with a smirk.

“She’s not wrong,” Harry laughed. “Come on, mate. Let’s all sit down for a while.”

Almost unbidden, the Room of Requirement created a small table with six chairs arranged around it. The group all seated themselves.

“I’m okay about it, really,” Neville insisted. “I mean, it’s not like this has come out of the blue. I asked her out and she said no. No problem.”

“That’s not true, Neville,” Luna admonished him. “I know you really like Hannah and you’re really upset that she chose Macmillan over you. You’ve admitted how hurt you feel to me!”

“Umm, yeah, but Luna, that conversation was meant to remain private, okay? Besides, I’m a lot more accepting of it now,” Neville said, suddenly looking very uncomfortable.

“I should hope so,” the blond girl sniffed. “Not that any of your friends have helped.”

“Eh? What have we done?” Ron protested.

“Flaunting your relationships in front of poor Neville like that! How do you think he feels seeing you and Hermione sneaking out at night to do naughty things together? Or Harry and Ginny for that matter. The poor boy feels like he’s the only one not getting any in the whole of Gryffindor Tower!”

“Err, Luna…” Neville tried to interrupt.

“Why, the frustration was evident on his face! Merlin knows what state he’d be in if I hadn’t tugged him off the other day,” Luna continued.

A sudden silence descended on the Room of Requirement as they all turned to look at Neville in surprise. For his part, Neville turned an amazing shade of red and appeared to be trying to slide under the table.

“Luna,” Ginny began hesitantly. “I don’t think you should just blurt out what you and Neville get up to in private. I think you’ve embarrassed him.”

“What? Why?” Luna said in puzzlement. “I thought boys liked to boast about their sexual exploits. I heard Dean Thomas boasting that he’d managed to get his hand down Lavender Brown’s knickers just the other day.”

Harry turned to his girlfriend with a ‘told you so’ type of expression on his face. She just shrugged and turned back to her friend.

“Some boys do, Luna, but only the complete prats like boasting in public. I don’t think Neville fits into that category, do you?”

Luna looked at Neville for a moment, who by now had buried his face in his hands and was half-way under the table.

“Oh, I suppose not,” she admitted. “In that case, forget what I said. I never played with Neville’s sausage at all.”

Hermione was by this point making strange noises like she was choking and Ginny’s mouth was twisting in an odd manner. Harry was sure both girls were seconds away from collapsing in laughter.

“Why don’t you three ladies head down to dinner?” Harry suggested. “We’ll stay here and clear up.”

Ginny, who looked like she was in physical pain trying to hold in her laughter, just nodded and quickly stood up. She grabbed Luna and guided her out of the room, with Hermione close behind.

“Bye, Neville,” Luna called as she was dragged out. “I’ll see you later when we definitely won’t be doing any of those things we did again!”

As soon as the door closed, Ron and Harry turned to Neville, who was steadfastly refusing to remove his hands from his face. The bright red glow around his neck was rather a giveaway, unfortunately.

“So… you and Luna, eh?” Harry began, looking to Ron for support. “Congratulations.”

“Yeah, I mean, I know she’s a bit odd, but Luna’s a real looker,” Ron said encouragingly.

“Definitely! She’s turned into a real fox,” Harry agreed readily.

“You think so?” Neville asked, peeking out from between his fingers.

“Yeah, she’s hot. If I wasn’t with Hermione, I’d definitely be interested,” Ron confirmed.

“I just… I just feel like I’m using her,” Neville admitted miserably. “Don’t get me wrong; I really like Luna, but I’m not sure I like her in that way, if you know what I mean.”

“Why did you let her toss you off, then?” Ron asked in surprise.

“I didn’t plan it,” Neville admitted. “I just got talking to her and I was saying how depressed I was about Hannah, and before I knew it she had my trousers around my ankles and she was going at it. I really couldn’t summon the will to stop her at that point.”

“Well, from what she said, I’m not convinced she thinks that there’s anything between the two of you,” Harry offered. “Perhaps you should talk to her and see what her expectations of all this are. Knowing Luna as I do, I think she’s just trying to make you feel better, mate. She has a kind heart, and just didn’t like to see you frustrated and unhappy, I reckon.”

“You think so?” Neville asked uncertainly.

“I agree, actually,” Ron nodded. “That does sound exactly like the sort of thing Luna would do.”

“Great, now I really feel like I’m taking advantage of her,” Neville moaned.

“Just talk to her,” Harry insisted. “I don’t think you’re giving her enough credit. Luna would never do anything she didn’t want to do.”

“Okay, I will,” Neville agreed.

“Great, now let’s head after the girls. I’m starving,” Harry said firmly.

The three boys headed out of the door, all equally determined never to speak of the matter ever again if they could possibly help it.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

H arry stood back and watched with amusement as Molly Weasley swept her two remaining school-age children into her arms and proceeded to hug the stuffing out of them. He shouldn’t have been so quick to laugh, however, as a second later the woman released Ron and Ginny and pulled him into a fierce embrace, too.

“Oh, there you are, Harry dear,” she said warmly. “I’m so glad to see you’re all right. After that horrid business in Hogsmeade, I was beside myself with worry about you all.”

“Really, Mrs Weasley, we’re all okay. All those extra lessons we took in the summer really paid off and we were able to protect ourselves just fine.”

“You shouldn’t need to protect yourselves, but I suppose there’s no way to avoid it these days,” she said sadly.

“So, what have we got planned for the holidays?” Ginny asked, obviously trying to distract her mother.

“Oh, we should all have a wonderful time this year,” Molly replied, brightening up. “I know it’s a shame we can’t be at the Burrow for Christmas, but better safe than sorry, eh? I must say, Harry, that awful little house-elf of yours has certainly bucked his ideas up. Why, Grimmauld Place was very nearly clean when we arrived! I thought perhaps we could spend the next couple of days doing a spot of redecorating before we put the Christmas decorations up. Just a few coats of paint in a few rooms, just to make the place a bit brighter.”

“It certainly needs it,” Ron muttered. He’d been quite unhappy to hear that the holidays would be spent at the Order’s headquarters, having bad memories of how dull the place was.

“I think that sounds like a great idea, Mum,” Ginny said brightly. “We only end up using a few of the rooms, anyway, and it won’t take long to spruce the place up. Especially if we’re allowed to use magic.”

“Yes, well, as time is a factor I suppose we can do it that way just this once,” Molly confirmed reluctantly.

“It will be educational,” Harry pointed out. “They don’t seem to teach basic stuff like that in school, although I have no idea why. It would be really useful.”

“I think they assume most children would learn that sort of thing at home, Harry,” Molly explained. “The same with cooking and cleaning spells.”

“That’s a bit unfair on the Muggleborns, isn’t it?” he said with a frown.

“It is, but then again, would Muggleborns use spells like that in a non-magical home? The risk of discovery would be too great, I should imagine.”

“It still seems unfair,” he replied, but let the matter drop. After all, it wasn’t exactly Mrs Weasley’s fault things were the way they were. “So, who else will be joining us to celebrate this year?”

“Bill and Fleur will be coming over on Christmas Day, but are spending the rest of the break with Fleur’s family. The twins promised to come over as soon as they shut their shop on Christmas Eve, but Charlie can’t get the time off, I’m afraid.”

“Charlie? Charlie? You know, Ron, I swear I used to know someone called Charlie, but it’s been so long that I can’t exactly remember,” Ginny said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Nah, I can’t seem to remember, either,” Ron grinned. “Was he that little bloke who used to work in the bakery in the village?”

“Hmm, he might be,” Ginny replied, tapping her chin thoughtfully.

“Stop it, you two. It’s not easy for your brother to get time off, you know,” Molly said firmly, although her stern expression soon crumbled. “It would be nice to see more of him, though.”

“Never mind, Mum; you still have us,” Ron reassured her.

“Yes, well, never mind,” Molly mumbled, ignoring Ron’s outraged expression. She did manage to wink at Harry while her back was turned to her son, however.

It didn’t take long for them to get to Grimmauld Place, and Harry saw that Mrs Weasley hadn’t been exaggerating. The house did look a lot cleaner. Unfortunately, the portrait of Walburga Black still hung in the hallway. She shrieked in disgust as they entered.

“Filth! Miscreants! How dare you befoul the ancient home of the Black Family! Be gone, and never contaminate this place with your vile presence…”

Harry walked straight up to the portrait and drew his wand.

“Shut up! As owner of this house, I order you to be silent!” he roared.

Walburga was suddenly silent. She glared at him with undisguised hatred.

“I don’t care what you think of me, you stuck-up old hag, but you will do what I say! If I hear a peep out of you once during this holiday, or you insult my friends in anyway, I will evoke my right as owner of this house and heir to the Black family to have you removed. Do you understand? Just nod if you do.”

The woman nodded briskly, her whole head shaking with barely controlled anger.

“Good, now behave yourself or we’ll use you to light a fire.”

“Blimey, Harry! That shut her up and no mistake!” Ron crowed as they all filed into the kitchen.

“As I’m now officially Head of the Black family, I have the right to give her orders,” he shrugged. “Hopefully, she’ll have got the message.”

“But why didn’t Sirius just tell her to shut up?” Ginny asked with a frown.

“Perhaps he didn’t know he could,” Harry speculated. In truth, he felt it had more to do with intent than anything. As with Kreacher, Walburga had recognised him as being magically more powerful and a worthy Head of House. Sirius, despite his undoubted talent, had simply not been interested in holding that position.

“Whatever the reason was, I for one am very glad she won’t be making all that noise,” Mrs Weasley said happily. “Now, I suggest we have a spot of lunch before we start making plans as to what rooms we’ll redecorate.”

“Excellent,” Ron exclaimed.

“The human dustbin strikes again,” Ginny snorted.

“Hey, it’s been a long time since breakfast. It’s no wonder I’m hungry,” he complained.

“What, despite eating five Chocolate Frogs on the train?” Harry asked innocently.

“And a couple of Pumpkin Pasties. Oh, and eating half of Hermione’s Cauldron Cake,” Ginny added.

“And a fair share of Neville’s Liquorice Comfits,” Harry noted.

“Oh, stop it, you two. Ron’s a growing lad. He needs to eat a lot,” Mrs Weasley defended her son.

“Yeah, the only problem is that when he stops growing up, he’ll probably start growing out,” Ginny smirked.

“Do you mind? There’s not an ounce of fat on me,” Ron said indignantly.

“Yet,” Harry chortled.

“Mum, can you tell these two they have to split up? They’ve been ganging up on me ever since they got together,” Ron appealed to his mother.

“Oh, I’m sure they’d do that even if they weren’t together,” Molly smiled. “Now, what does everyone fancy for lunch?”

Grumbling, Ron sat at the table and sulked. It didn’t stop him eating a full plate of sandwiches by himself, however.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Later that day, Harry, Ginny and Ron were making their way upstairs, primarily so they could decide what work they wanted to do to their assigned bedrooms. The three of them had been in equal measures amused and irritated that Mrs Weasley had insisted that Harry and Ron share a room, while Ginny would share with Hermione when she arrived later in the holidays.

“Blimey, it’s not like that there aren’t enough rooms,” Ron gripped.

“Hey, it’s my house and I don’t even get a say in it,” Harry pointed out.

“Never mind, I’m sure we can work something out,” Ginny insisted.

“So I suppose Harry will be sneaking out of our room on a regular basis then?” Ron said with a slight note of disapproval.

“What, you don’t want me to be gone when Hermione sneaks into ours?” Harry asked with amusement. “When’s she due to get here, anyway?”

“Not until after Boxing Day,” Ron replied sadly. “To tell you the truth, I’m a bit worried about her at the moment.”

Harry and Ginny exchanged a quick glance.

“Actually, mate, Ginny and I were saying the same thing just the other day. She’s been a bit off since the Hogsmeade attack, hasn’t she?” Harry said.

“Yeah, she… well, that is, we’re both struggling a bit after that, but it’s hit Hermione the hardest. I think it’s finally dawned on her exactly what will happen to her if she’s ever captured by the Death Eaters. A Muggleborn like her… it’s not going to be pretty, is it? She told me last month that she’ll never be taken alive by them, and as awful as it sounds, I think death would be preferable.”

“Ron, what exactly did you and Hermione see when you went upstairs in that house in Hogsmeade?” Ginny asked hesitantly.

“I… nah, I can’t tell you. I don’t even want to think about it. That poor girl… no, I’m sorry,” Ron said, coming to a complete halt on the stairway. He was pale as a sheet.

“It’s alright, mate, you don’t have to tell us, but I do think it would be a good idea if you talked to someone. You and Hermione both. I can only imagine what you two saw in that room, but I’ve had to deal with enough crap in my life to know that bottling it up will only lead to problems later. Hell, Hermione’s told me that enough times in the past,” Harry pointed out.

“Yeah, maybe you should talk to Madam Pomfrey when you get back to school,” Ginny suggested.

“Nah, I’m alright,” Ron insisted. “For me, it’s actually been kind of motivating. I know this isn’t a game anymore and that terrible things could happen to me or my loved ones at any time, but that’s just made me more determined. I want to get good. I wanna be the best bloody wizard I can be, if only so I can send those filthy bastard Death Eaters straight to hell! But Hermione… she’s always been the sensitive one. She always tries to find the good in people, you know? For her to discover there are people in the world that would do that to another human being… it’s shocked her to the core. If I previously thought it was a game, then Hermione thought it was some story book adventure. Now she knows it’s not. Everything that’s happening is dangerous and frightening, and we could all die horribly at any moment.”

“That’s not going to happen,” Harry said firmly. “I won’t let it. I swear that no Death Eater will ever lay a finger on Hermione, or Ginny, or anyone I love. If I have to kill every last one of them, I will do it.”

“And I’ll be standing right by your side as you do, helping,” Ginny said fiercely, “but bearing this all in mind, will Hermione be alright with her parents? I mean, I doubt she’s told them exactly what’s being going on lately.”

“That’s what I’m worried about. I’m going to send her a letter tonight to check she’s okay, but I’m not sure she’d tell me if she wasn’t. Sometimes… sometimes I’m holding her and she just starts crying, completely without warning. It just all gets too much for her, I think. It’s generally alright if I’m there, but what will happen to her when she’s at her parents’ house, and she can’t even tell them what’s wrong?”

“Hermione’s strong. Stronger than even she realises sometimes. I’m sure she’ll be alright until after Christmas,” Harry insisted. “I do think we all need to sit down and have a talk about how this is all affecting us, though.”

“Yeah, probably,” Ron agreed reluctantly.

“Ron, I know I take the piss out of you all the time, but I do love you, you know that, don’t you? You can talk to me anytime,” Ginny said, rubbing her brother’s arm affectionately.

“Yeah, I know, sis,” he smiled. “Besides, taking the piss out of each other is the Weasley way. It would just seem weird if we were nice to each other all the time.”

“Yes, it would,” she agreed, giving him a quick hug.

“It does make me think that we need to step up the fight against Voldemort, though,” Harry pondered. “The longer this goes on, the more people will get hurt. I think it’s time I had another chat with Scrimgeour and find out how the more aggressive tactics are working out.”

“We still have to find the locket Horcrux before we can think about taking old Snakeface on directly,” Ginny pointed out, “not to mention figuring out a way to take out Nagini at the same time.”

“Yeah, and I admit I haven’t a clue as to where to start looking for the locket,” Harry admitted. He’d previously told his friends all about the Horcruxes, being determined to keep as little information back from them as possible. He had, however, implied that he was just passing on information he had learnt from Dumbledore. He still felt that learning that a small piece of Tom Riddle’s soul was mixed in with his would be a step too far even for his loyal comrades.

“Dumbledore’s quite certain Voldemort didn’t move it himself? Perhaps he got wind that his hiding place had been discovered? ” Ron asked.

“Pretty sure, I mean, Voldemort hadn’t moved any of the other Horcruxes, so why would he just move that one? No, that doesn’t make any sense. It has to be someone else who took it, someone with a grudge against him.”

“Yeah, but who could that be? You said yourself, Voldemort wouldn’t have exactly made it common knowledge that he’d made those things, would he?” Ron pointed out.

Harry just shrugged in frustration, and they continue up to the boys’ bedroom in silence. All the while, Harry desperately tried to think who could have moved the Horcrux, and how he might discover the thief’s identity.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPH P

Two things happened the next morning to alter Harry’s plans.

The first thing was the headlines in that morning’s edition of the Daily Prophet, which reported a daring raid by Aurors and Magical Law Enforcement staff on the house of Arthur Goyle, a pardoned Death Eater who the Ministry suspected of still harbouring sympathy for the Dark Lord. The raid had uncovered a group of Death Eaters using the establishment as a base, and had resulted in five Death Eaters being killed, including Goyle. Also killed was his son, Gregory Goyle, Harry’s troublesome classmate who had apparently flown into an insane rage when he saw his father cut down and had attacked the Aurors. Several other people had been arrested, including Mrs Goyle who was ‘helping the Ministry in their enquiries’.

The second unexpected event was the arrival of Hermione Granger at Grimmauld Place. She turned up on the doorstep clutching a suitcase and looking extremely unhappy. She was ushered into the warmth of the kitchen where Mrs Weasley plied her with hot, sweet tea and toasted crumpets.

While she sat and sipped her tea, her friends gathered around her to question her as to her early arrival.

“I’ve just been fighting with my parents, constantly, ever since I got home,” she revealed. “They suspected something was wrong and when I explained that I couldn’t tell them about it, they just got angry. I mean, even if I was allowed to, how do I begin to explain Voldemort and everything that’s been going on to them? When they threatened to pull me out of Hogwarts we had a blazing row and I stormed out. Let’s see them try to get me out of school, now!”

“Oh, you poor thing,” Mrs Weasley said sympathetically. “It must be very difficult for all of you. I mean, I can’t begin to understand what being magical must appear like to a Muggle! I’m sure they’re just worried about you, dear.”

“I’m sure you're right, Mrs Weasley, but that doesn’t make things any easier, does it? If I told them about half the things that I’ve experienced since I became a witch they would have locked me in a room and never let me out again. It’s just… it’s like they’re becoming strangers to me. My own parents! I feel like I’ve grown up while I’ve been at Hogwarts and they don’t seem to understand that. I just can’t talk to them anymore, either. We either don’t seem to speak the same language anymore, or they deliberately misinterpret everything I say.”

“Once Voldemort is dealt with everything will become simpler, I’m sure,” Harry assured her.

“Yeah, you’ll be able to be more open with them, maybe even invite them here or to the Burrow to visit,” Ron added encouragingly.

“Perhaps,” Hermione said unconvincingly.

“Never mind, dear. You’re with friends here,” Mrs Weasley said smiling. “Luckily, a bed is already made up for you. You’ll be sharing with Ginny again so you’ll have a bit of company.”

For a brief second, Harry saw something approaching panic in Hermione’s eyes.

“Why don’t we give you a hand settling in?” he said quickly.

“Yeah, I’ll carry your bag upstairs,” Ron added, grabbing her suitcase.

“I’ll help you unpack,” Ginny promised, taking her friend by the arm and firmly guiding her out of the room.

They managed to get to the girls’ bedroom before Hermione broke down.

“Oh, I’m so glad to be here!” she wept. “I’ve never felt like such a stranger in my own home.”

“It’s alright, luv,” Ron said soothingly as he took her in his arms.

“No, it really isn’t,” she sobbed. “I feel like I’ve lost my parents completely. They still see me as some naïve little schoolgirl, just like I was before I went to Hogwarts. They don’t understand the power I wield, or the dangers I face. Even if they did, their only response would be to pull me out of Hogwarts. Like that would make me safe!”

“That’s the problem with the Statute of Secrecy. Your average Muggle just wouldn’t be able to get their head round what we’re capable of,” Harry noted.

“That’s so true,” Hermione agreed sadly, wiping her eyes. “Of course, I can’t actually show them what I can do with magic, and when I try to explain they think I’m exaggerating.”

“So, you’re with us now until school starts again?” Ginny asked.

“Yes, I can’t go back home right now. My father said some very hurtful things to me, and my mother wasn’t a lot better. I think they believe that I’m turning into some Satan worshiping occultist straight out of a horror film. All I was trying to do was explain some of the ritualism aspects of magic, not implying we perform human sacrifices before indulging in a mass orgy!”

“Not on weekdays, anyway,” Ginny noted.

Hermione laughed.

“Is your mum going to make us share a bedroom, then?” she asked. “I admit, I’ve not been sleeping well and having Ron around is… comforting.”

“Don’t worry, I think we can arrange a little exchange scheme between us,” Ginny said with a wink.

“Yeah, in fact, hang on a tick,” Harry said before hurrying out of the room. He returned a few moments later with his Invisibility Cloak which he pressed into Hermione’s hands. “This should help you move about at night without Molly noticing. Ginny and I have got pretty proficient at Disillusionment Charms, so we’ll manage alright, anyway.”

“Thanks, Harry,” Hermione said, brightening up considerably. “So, who’s moving to whose room, tonight?”

“Oh, as the Weasleys are guests in my house, I think it’s only fair if you and I swap tonight, Hermione,” Harry grinned.

“Sounds good to me,” Hermione agreed, smiling bright for the first time since she arrived.


Reviews 369
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear