Search:

SIYE Time:18:08 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Albus Potter and the Deathly Hallows
By JetLaBarge

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Intimate Sexual Situations, Violence, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 77
Summary: Albus has his challenges during his first year. Cleopatra is obviously his soulmate, and has brilliant insights into magic, except she cannot do it like anyone else. Albus has to help her while keeping peace between the two brightest and most competitive students at Hogwarts, Scorpius and Rose. It doesn’t help that people are out to get Albus. Harry is not sure he can keep everyone safe. Then you have Ginny and Cleopatra.



Hitcount: Story Total: 79027; Chapter Total: 2696
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
We want to welcome a new Beta, Emilie. I want to thank Arnel, who continues to demonstrate what a fantastic Beta she is by catching stupid mistakes and canon problems, and FriendofMolly for a key change




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Everybody had heard that Professor Sidney Stanford was an excellent Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, but for two and a half months all they did was study things from books. All of the first year students were eager to get some practical work in, learn some spells or, better yet, dueling. Finally, on the first of November, Al taught Rose, Scorpius and Cleo about a dozen defensive or dueling spells he knew, and over the next two weeks they had about four hours of practice dueling each other.

The second week in November Professor Stanford had the students learn four basic attacking and defending spells, and for the last class of the week had the students duel. Scorpius and Rose had already learned the spells from Al, and won their matches in seconds. Cleo had a little more trouble, but when she finally threw the right spell out her opponent had to go to the hospital wing with a broken hand. The last people to duel were Al and Mack Goyle. Al easily defeated Goyle. Professor Stanford then had the winners duel against each other. Finally, only the four friends were left. Professor Stanford had the boys duel, and Al easily won. Then he had the girls battle. It looked like Rose would win, but at the last moment Cleo found some inner strength and she Disarmed Rose.

Finally Al and Cleo were facing each other. They took defensive stances, and then Cleo looked at Professor Sanford and said, “I can’t. I just can’t battle Albus. I’m sorry. I concede.” Cleo put her wand into the pocket on her skirt, and started to go to her seat.

Professor Sanford said, “At least make an attempt to duel Mr. Potter, Miss Smith.”

Cleo thought to Albus, Summon my wand. I do not think I can duel you.

Cleo and Al faced each other, and Al quickly Summoned Cleo’s wand, and then Levitated it back to her.

Then Al faced Professor Stanford. Professor Stanford tried a simple Disarming Spell, but Al easily defended himself. Professor Stanford tried a more advanced spell. Al came back at him with a complex attach. Professor Stanford rapidly parried that, and tried again to quickly Disarm Albus. Al was strictly on the defensive, but he kept Professor Stanford from Disarming him. The class bell rang and the two opponents stopped their attack. “Practice those spells again before the next class,” said Professor Stanford as the class packed up their things. “Mr. Potter, a moment please.”

Albus packed up his things, and hid his wand in his trousers

“Mr. Potter, where did you learn to duel?” asked Professor Stanford.

“Mostly by myself, but the last two weeks I have been practicing with Scorpius and Rose and Cleo,” said Al. He did not want to say that he had practiced dueling Teddy for years, but only in the shielded rooms under twelve and thirteen Grimmauld Place. Al did not want to get Teddy in trouble.

“How long have you been using that wand?” asked Professor Stanford.

“Not long,” said Albus truthfully, “But I have had a little wand practice before I came to Hogwarts.”

“A little?” asked Professor Stanford.

“Well, a lot of practice with the wand, but only a little dueling,” said Al.

“You are the best four students I have ever had at this first dueling practice,” said Professor Stanford. “Keep practicing. You may be excused.”

The next weeks just confirmed what Professor Stanford had seen on the first day of practice actually dueling. Rose and Scorpius were excellent, Cleo was erratic but better than Rose and Scorpius when she was on, and never bad. Al was probably capable of taking on some of the seventh year students.

Actually, the more he thought about it, the more Professor Stanford wondered if anybody could defeat Albus Severus Potter. It was almost like Albus had an unbeatable wand. No, that wasn’t possible. The last person to have the unbeatable wand was Albus Dumble… Albus … No, no way. Not possible. No eleven-year-old, and Albus was just eleven, could control the Elder Wand. Not possible.

*

One Saturday when the Quidditch pitch was being used by other teams, Al asked Cleo if she would like to fly with him. Cleo was having trouble learning to fly a broom, and the fact that she was timid in the air and had never flown before coming to Hogwarts did not help. Scorpius had at least been allowed to go to flying lessons that were given for young witches and wizards from age five on, and was reasonably good. There were also pre-Hogwarts Quidditch games at the Burrow for the younger family members, so Al was way ahead of many of the incoming students. Al had permission to practice on his broom whenever he was free, but of course not to take someone along, so he made sure that he and Cleo were invisible before taking off. The broom was not set up for two persons, so it was a little awkward, but Cleo loved holding on to Al and riding through the beautiful countryside surrounding Hogwarts.

The next time the Firebolt people came Al had them put in optional settings for one and two person touring, and made sure Cleo was sitting behind him as they set up the broom for two person touring. While Rose and Scorpius were studying Al and Cleo would occasionally just fly around looking at things, just enjoying each other’s company.

The school year was beginning to settle into a pattern. Slytherin was not going to play another Quidditch game until the spring, but Ravenclaw had two matches in the fall, and the Slytherin team practiced hard against the Ravenclaw team, making both of them much better.

Every third or fourth Saturday Al and Cleo would spend some time mapping the castle. About as often the four students would go and talk to the Elves. Every other Friday they went to Hagrid’s place, and although he never became a good cook, slowly Cleo was teaching Hagrid how to make edible food. Most of their time was really taken up with study, and the four students were by far the best students at Hogwarts, partly because they were the hardest working.

*

Tuesday, the week the Hogwarts students left for Christmas Break, Harry received a Patronus from Minerva McGonagall saying, “James has been injured in a Potions accident. His injuries are not life threatening, but they are bad enough that you and Ginny should get here promptly. Please use the Floo in my office.”

Harry used his wizard mobile to call Ginny, and they agreed to meet at Professor McGonagall’s office as soon as they could make it. A short time later both Harry and Ginny, both with their Auror guards, came through the Floo.

Harry and Ginny rushed to the hospital wing. Both Matrons, Poppy Pomfrey and Genevieve Swan, were there. Madam Pomfrey met the Potters, and said, “I have never seen an accident like this one. It looks like the material is designed to scar whoever it hits.”

“How is James,” Ginny asked.

Madam Pomfrey said, “He will survive, and Genevieve and a couple of healers from St. Mungo’s are trying to minimize the scarring. We just do not know what we are dealing with.”

Harry said, “Has anyone talked to the teacher?”

Madam Pomfrey said, “Professor Chen has not been much help. Sometimes I think he has no idea what he is doing.”

Harry said, “Ginny, I am going to go down to the Potions classrooms. Tell James I am trying to find out what went wrong, and if there is any way we can get more information about this potion.”

Madam Pomfrey said, “I think you want to talk to John Krum first. He is a healer who specializes in Potion and chemical injuries, and he is in with James.”

Harry and Ginny rushed in to see James. His face and one arm had deep, raw looking pockmarks in them. He had been wearing protective goggles, so his eyes and the area around the eyes were not harmed, but the rest of his face looked bad.

James’ eyes were closed, and Madam Swan said, “James was in agony from his injuries, and we put him to sleep so he will not feel the pain. We are working on him.”

An older healer introduced himself, saying, “Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Potter. I am Healer John Krum, and I specialize in Potion and chemical type injuries. I have asked Professor Chen what caused the damage, but he seemed to have no idea.”

Harry said, “Did you check which spells he had done before the accident?”

John said, “Yes, we checked James’ and James’ partner’s wands. I tried to check Professor Chen’s wand, but he had used it for a large amount of cleaning, and checking it was not helpful. It would have been better if he had not cleaned up everything. As it is we have no good evidence in the classroom of what caused the burns.”

Harry said, “All this cleaning is suspicious to me.”

Healer Krum said, “If he did this he is a lot more competent than the students and teachers tell me he is, but I do not have any other explanation. I guess a student could have done something, but I cannot figure out how that would happen either.”

Harry asked, “Would it help if I had a wand specialist examine all the wands in the room?”

John said, “Anything would help. We do not know what we are dealing with. We have neutralized the continuing damage, but healing the scarring is going to be hard until we know what happened.”

Harry contacted his office. There were two Aurors who were experts at examining wands, and seeing what spells had been cast. Harry had both of them come to Hogwarts to examine Professor Chen’s wand, and the wands of all the students who were in the classroom.

Harry also had a couple of Aurors who were good at getting eyewitness accounts interview all the students.

Shortly after Harry had arranged all this investigation, Victoire appeared. She said, “I heard about the accident, Uncle Harry. Do you have any idea what happened?”

Harry said, “No, and any evidence of what happened seems to have disappeared.”

Victoire said, “Could Professor Chen have done it?”

Harry asked, “Why do you ask that?”

Victoire said, “The younger students do not like him. They say he is not very competent. I do not have any real reason to suspect him, though.”

Harry said, “See what you can find out, but do not suggest that Professor Chen may be involved. If other students volunteer anything let me know right away.”

“I can get the cousins and the Gryffindor students on it, without accusing anyone,” Victoire said. “I need to tell the cousins about James anyway. How is he? He will recover, won’t he?”

“He may be badly scarred, but otherwise it looks like he will recover. It would help us reduce the scarring if we knew what happened,” Harry said.

As Victoire left Erica Lionheart appeared. She saw Harry and said, “Hello, Mr. Potter. I heard about James. How is he?”

“He may be scarred on his face and right hand and arm, but otherwise he should recover,” Harry said. “The healers are working on him, and we are trying to find out what happened.”

“Will he still be able to play Quidditch?” Erica asked.

“I do not think this will affect his Quidditch playing, Erica,” Harry said. “There are more important things than Quidditch.”

“That is what Mum always tells me,” Erica said. “James says we need to get good grades so we can stay on the Quidditch teams. May I see James?”

“Maybe tomorrow,” Harry said. “He is unconscious because of the pain right now, and I do not expect him to be able to see you until tomorrow.”

*

Victoire called all the Gryffindor cousins together right after their last class. James was not with them, and Victoire said, “James is in the hospital wing because of a serious accident in Potions. He should recover, but his face and one hand and arm will probably be scarred because of the accident.”

Louis asked, “Are we sure it was an accident?”

Victoire said, “What else would it be?”

Cleopatra said, “Professor Chen tried to get into Albus and my mind. I do not like that man! Maybe he did something?”

“I wish we could call Albus,” Victoire said.

“I can,” Cleo said. “Do you want him to come here?”

“Sure,” Victoire said, not sure how Cleo was going to call Albus.

Cleo thought, Albus, come to Gryffindor. James was hurt in Potions, and the cousins are gathering.

Albus thought back, Now?

Cleo answered, NOW!

Coming
, Al thought.

“We are going to Gryffindor,” Al said to Scorpius. “My brother James was hurt in Potions, and Cleo and I are suspicious. The Weasley cousins are meeting.”

Cleo met Al and Scorpius and led them into one of the rooms below the common room, where the cousins were meeting.

“How did you call Al?” Victoire asked Cleo.

“We are here,” Albus said. “Do not worry about how right now. How did James get hurt in Potions?”

“That is what we are trying to figure out,” Victoire said. “The potion they were making was not dangerous enough to explode and cause the injuries it did. It happened when only James was near the cauldron, too. I talked to his partner and a couple of the other students who were in the class. Aurors interviewed all the students who were in the class as well.”

“I know Professor Chen was trying to get into Cleo and my mind early in the year,” Albus said. “I do not like that man.”

Victoire said, “Not liking him is not enough. What happened?”

“Can we talk to James,” Al asked.

“See if your mum and dad will let you,” Victoire said. “They will not let us in, but they may talk to you.”

“Stay here, Cleo,” Al said. He then went up to the hospital wing.

Rose and Scorpius joined the rest of the cousins and friends trying to figure out just how James could have been injured.

Albus entered the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey greeted Albus. She was semi-retired, but usually was around to help if a student was seriously injured. When Albus saw her he became even more worried about James, and asked, “How bad is James?”

“The scarring is pretty bad,” Madam Pomfrey said. “I’ve never seen such scarring from a potions accident, and certainly not from a second year potions accident.”

“The Weasley cousins do not think it was an accident,” Albus said.

“If you have any evidence of that let Professor McGonagall know, and your father,” Madam Pomfrey said. “Your parents are in with James now. Wait here. I will go in and see if you can see James, or if one of them will see you.”

It seemed to Al like he waited a very long time. Finally his father came out. As soon as Albus saw his father he said, “How is James?”

“The scarring is pretty bad, and it is not going to be easy to fix it,” Harry said.

Al said, “Professor Chen tried to get into Cleopatra’s mind, and mine. We resisted, because of the rings Professor Snape gave me, but we do not trust that man. Are you sure it was an accident? The cousins do not think it was.”

“No, Al,” Harry said. “I am suspicious too. I am going to find out what happened, and how. Do not get in any trouble, but if you and the cousins can find out anything let me know.”

“I will not get into any more trouble than you did when you were at Hogwarts,” Albus said.

“No more trouble than ME!” Harry exclaimed. “Albus, that’s a terrifying thought,” Harry had a pensive look on his face, as he paused, and looked at Albus.

“So far we have not gotten into ANY trouble, dad,” Albus said. “I am going to always try to do the right thing. Can I see James?”

“You are probably missing dinner,” Harry said. “You should be able to see James tomorrow.”

Albus went over and gave his father a hug. He said, “I thought I was the one people were trying to hurt or kill. I would hate it if other people were hurt because of me.”

Harry said, “We do not know that this was anything but an accident, and even if it was not an accident there is no evidence that it had anything to do with you.”

As soon as Harry could he had the best of the memory witches look at James memories of the accident. There seemed to be a few minutes totally missing, which was very unusual and concerning.

James seemed to be well enough to go back to class on Thursday, but the scarring was pretty bad. It looked like James was going to go home for Christmas without anyone having any idea what had happened.

Albus and the cousins tried to see if they could find out anything more about the accident, but with the train leaving Hogwarts that Friday there was very little time left to investigate.

*

Thursday afternoon Cindy Hudson came over to see Ginny.

“I hate to be insensitive, Ginny,” Cindy said, “but I understand that James was hurt. From what I hear it is all over the school. If I don’t put something in the Prophet Rita will have something in that scandal sheet she is now publishing. It would be better for you if the real story was in the Prophet first.”

“I don’t know what the real story is,” said Ginny, feeling the baby bump that was a constant reminder that they were bringing another life into the world. Ever since the accident she had become more and worried about the threats to her children.

“It was an accident, wasn’t it?” Cindy asked.

“We don’t think it could have been, but we do not have any proof,” Ginny said. “I do not know what Harry wants you to put in the paper.”

“How noticeable is it?” Cindy asked.

“Oh Merlin,” Ginny said, the tears starting to form. “It is not as bad as Bill’s scars, but it is bad. He has deep pockmarks all over his face and right arm. The healers say there is nothing we can do with magic or Muggle medicine to get rid of them. Muggles have some way of taking skin from one place and putting it somewhere else, but because the scars are magical the healers do not think that will work.”

“Any other damage?” asked Cindy.

“Not as far as we know,” Ginny said. “He was wearing goggles, so the eyes were spared. You can see a few pockmarks on his lips, but they should not interfere with anything.”

“I will ask Harry before putting anything in the Prophet,” Cindy said.

When Harry arrived home that evening Ginny asked, “Did Cindy see you?”

“I just told her to put in the paper that it was an accident, and that the incident is under investigation,” Harry said.

“Harry,” Ginny said, holding him tightly. “It is getting scary again. I don’t know how my mother did it, with all of us at the Battle of Hogwarts. No one brings new life into the world so they can be hurt or killed. I am terrified of Teddy going on a dangerous assignment and getting hurt or killed. I’ve been worried about Albus for a long time, but James too!

“I was all eager to fight when I was sixteen. It is a lot different when you are their mother.”

“It is a lot different when you are their father as well, Ginny,” Harry said, returning the hugs. “It is a lot harder than I thought it would be.”
Reviews 77
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear