Search:

SIYE Time:18:44 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Darkness Within
By MollyandArthur

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Rape, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 144
Summary: Tom Riddle opened the Chamber of Secrets while he was a student at Hogwarts. He committed another horrific act that same year. Now decades later, the students of Hogwarts continue to be impacted by his crimes. How will Ginny and her friends handle the darkness within?
Hitcount: Story Total: 148992; Chapter Total: 5798







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 18
Dragons

Ginny was frustrated.

She had been stunned on the night of Halloween when Harry’s name came out of the Goblet of Fire — thus making him the fourth champion. How could it have happened? Surely, it had to be some sort of horrible mistake. The Headmaster had created an Age Line to prevent underage wizards and witches from competing. Fred and George hadn’t been able to get past it. They had grown magnificent white beards, after swallowing a small dose of Aging Potion, and trying to cross the line. Ginny was positive Harry hadn’t been able to get past it either. She was convinced he had not put his own name in, and thought it dreadfully unfair that someone else had entered Harry into the Triwizard Tournament. Why was he being forced into the competition?

She asked Ron that very question.

“He’s not being forced to do anything, Ginny!” Ron scoffed. “The goblet selected him. I just wish I knew how he managed to do it. If he’d told me how he planned to get past the Age Line, I could have entered my name as well.”

“Harry didn’t enter himself,” Ginny insisted. “Did you see his face when his name was called? He was just as shocked as everyone else!”

“Yeah, whatever,” he muttered as he made his way up the stairs to his dorm.

She turned to Hermione, who was rubbing her temples and watching helplessly, as the twins came in with a load of food and drink from the kitchens. They were clearly setting up for a celebratory party.

“What do you think about all of this?” Ginny asked.

The older girl sighed. “I agree with you. Harry didn’t enter the tournament, and I think he’s probably pretty upset and overwhelmed.” She shrugged sadly. “My head is throbbing. I’m going to bed.”

The noise in the common room was escalating rapidly, spurred on by Fred and George, who were thrilled to have a Gryffindor to support. All of the Gryffindor Quidditch team and most other members of the house seemed very excited to have their own champion.

“Ginny,” Anna said, as she and Neville approached her. “Are you okay? I saw you talking to Ron and Hermione.”

She turned to her friends, and they moved to a quiet corner. “Ron’s being a thick headed git! He’s acting like Harry wants to be in the tournament. It’s ridiculous! I don’t know what his problem is.”

“Well, it’s always Harry, isn’t it?” Neville observed quietly. Ginny sucked in an angry breath, but Neville continued. “I don’t think Harry put his name in the Goblet of Fire. I mean Harry doesn’t really like a lot of attention, does he?”

Ginny exhaled loudly. “No, he doesn’t. So why is my brother too thick to see that?”

“Ron’s probably a bit jealous. He’s Harry’s best friend, but he’s always in his shadow, you know?” Neville explained. “I think maybe Ron would like to be the center of attention, and it’s hard for him that it’s always Harry.”

Anna nodded slowly. “That makes sense. What did Hermione have to say about it?”

“She knows that Harry didn’t enter,” Ginny said. “She went to bed though. I don’t think she was feeling very well.”

“I think I’ll go on up as well,” Anna decided, glancing around the noisy common room. “Hopefully, Ron will feel better about things in the morning, and we can see how Harry is doing. Night, Neville.” She kissed his cheek.

Ginny looked around the common room and yawned. Harry was nowhere in sight. “I’ll go to bed as well. Hopefully, things will look better in the morning. Night, Neville.”

Unfortunately, nothing was any better in the morning, or over the next few weeks. Ron continued to be a stubborn git, practically ignoring his best friend. Hermione seemed determined to not get too involved, but encouraged both boys to renew their friendship. It didn’t seem to be working.

The members of Hufflepuff were being rather hostile towards all of Gryffindor because they were convinced that their housemate, Cedric Diggory, was the true Hogwarts champion. They seemed to be laboring under the delusion that Harry was trying to steal Cedric’s moment in the spotlight. Badges supporting Diggory were showing up on the school robes from members of every house, except Gryffindor. Apparently, Slytherin House had created and distributed the badges which also contained the message ‘Potter Stinks.’

It hadn’t helped that when the article about the Triwizard Tournament appeared in the Daily Prophet, it was all about Harry Potter. The article included very little information about the champions from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, and failed to even mention Cedric Diggory. The newspaper writer, Rita Skeeter, had also insinuated that Harry was dating Hermione. While Ginny knew that wasn’t true, the idea made her feel very uncomfortable.

Bundled up against the brisk November wind, Ginny joined Neville and Anna on a walk around the lake. Puffy white clouds were high overhead and moving quickly across the bright cerulean sky. Most of the trees were completely devoid of leaves as they were now scattered thickly on the ground. Initially, they just talked about their classes and the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend, but eventually conversation returned to the Triwizard Tournament.

“What do you think the first task will be?” Neville asked. “I mean it’s coming up soon.”

Ginny frowned. “It must be something really challenging. They came up with all of the tasks thinking the champions would be of age, and all in sixth or seventh year. I don’t see how Harry will manage. I know he’s a powerful wizard, but he’s still just a fourth year. How is he going to learn enough spells to make it through this competition?”

“Do you think that’s the point?” Anna inquired. “I mean, whoever entered Harry into the tournament, do you think they were trying to embarrass him or something? Make him look less talented or capable in comparison to the other champions?”

“I hate to say it,” Neville winced. “But, I really hope that’s all it is. This competition is likely to be really dangerous. I know that the organizers are trying to keep everyone safe, but it seems possible that someone entered Harry hoping he would be severely injured, maybe even killed.”

Ginny groaned and stopped walking to lean against a tree. Neville picked up a small stone and threw it towards the lake. It skipped along the surface.

Anna stood quietly for a moment. “Who would do such a thing?”

“You mean besides Voldemort?” Ginny murmured. “He’s not gone. I know he’s not.”

Neville sighed. “There are a lot of old Death Eaters still around, too. Ones that never went to Azkaban. Remus told me once that some of them blame Harry for You-Know-Who disappearing the night he attacked the Potter house.”

Anna nodded pensively. “We should return to the castle soon.”

Slowly, the three made their way back, each lost in thought.

******************** **************************************** *************************

On the morning of the Hogsmeade weekend, Hermione managed to talk Harry into going, even though he insisted on wearing his invisibility cloak. She was frustrated with both of the boys, Harry for being so insistent that Ron admit he had not entered the tournament voluntarily, and Ron for being so stubborn that he could not acknowledge Harry would not have submitted his name and then lied about it. At least Ron had decided to spend the day with Fred, George and their friend Lee Jordan. Hopefully, she would not be spending the entire day conversing with Harry while he was hidden beneath his Invisibility Cloak.

They went into Honeydukes, and Hermione stocked up on chocolate to take back to school, as well as purchasing some cream filled chocolates for Harry and her to eat as they walked about town. She felt silly trying to talk to Harry in his Invisibility Cloak, and knew that at least a few people were giving her odd looks, since she seemed to be talking to herself.

Entering the Three Broomsticks, Hermione was relieved when Ginny, Neville, and Anna called out to her and motioned her over. They were seated at a table for six, so it would be easy for her and the invisible Harry to join them.

“Would you like me to get you a butterbeer, Hermione? I can get one for your imaginary friend as well,” Neville smirked.

“Yes, thank you!” Hermione said with an exasperated sigh. “Honestly, Harry, you and Ron need to get over this… whatever it is, soon!”

“My git of a brother has to come to his senses eventually,” Ginny observed. “Though he is certainly taking his time about it.”

“Is there anything we can get for you while we’re in town, Harry?” Anna asked softly.

“No thanks,” he whispered. “Hermione got us some chocolate already.”

Neville returned with the two butterbeers, carefully sliding one down the table for Harry to drink under his Invisibility Cloak.

The girls chatted about classes and avoided saying anything about the Triwizard Tournament or the first task.

“Oh, I see Hagrid,” Hermione said suddenly. “He’s with Professor Moody.”

Both professors came over to say hello, Hagrid boisterously greeting them and asking about their purchases. Hermione was interested to note that Professor Moody seemed to be looking at the exact spot where Harry was currently sitting. He leaned in as though he were talking to him for a moment before stepping back.

“So, looking forward to watching the first task?” Moody asked loudly, as Hagrid bent in the direction of Harry and seemed to whisper something.

“Yes, of course,” Anna answered for the group. “I’m sure it will be quite a thrilling event.”

“Right you are, young lady,” the Professor agreed. “Well, then Hagrid, best be off.”

As the two men walked away, Hermione murmured towards Harry. “What was that all about?”

“Hagrid wants to meet me later,” he softly explained.

“Could Professor Moody tell you were there?” Anna asked.

“Yeah,” Harry whispered. “His magical eye must let him see through Invisibility Cloaks.”

******************************** **************************************** *************

Before Ginny was ready for it, the day of the first task had arrived. She had no idea what the champions would be facing and was becoming increasingly concerned for Harry. How could this be happening?

She felt numb with fear and anticipation by the time she reached the stands where everyone was gathering and waiting. Standing between Hermione and Anna, she reached out for their hands.

“Harry will be okay, won’t he?” Ginny asked.

“Yes, of course,” Hermione stated firmly. “It’s just a simple Summoning Charm. He can do this!”

Ginny looked at her oddly, wondering what she was talking about, but was comforted by Hermione’s conviction that Harry would be okay.

Anna gave her hand a gentle squeeze and smiled reassuringly at her.

Then, a whistle blew and Ludo Bagman began commentating by announcing the first champion Cedric Diggory. Ginny stared in horror from the Swedish Short-Snout to Cedric and back again. They had to get past a dragon to get a golden egg from the nest. Cedric Transfigured a rock into a dog to try to distract the dragon. His ruse worked fairly well, until the dragon changed direction and breathed fire on Cedric as he was grabbing the egg. He definitely suffered a burn, but at least the task was over, and he had been successful.

The next champion called into the arena was Fleur Delacour. Her dragon was a Welsh Green. Ginny was amazed when the beautiful, blonde witch cast a spell putting the dragon into a trance like sleep. She was able to collect the egg fairly easily, until the dragon snored. It sent out a flame catching her skirt on fire. She put it out quickly with a water spell from her wand, but it was a shocking and frightening sight.

By the time Viktor Krum entered the arena, Ginny was ready to groan with frustration. It wasn’t that she wanted Harry to face his dragon, as much as that the anticipation of having to wait was physically painful. The Chinese Fireball was ready for him, sitting on her nest of eggs.

“This is barbaric,” Anna murmured. “I feel like a spectator at the ancient Roman Colosseum.”

“It does feel that way,” Hermione agreed. Suddenly she gasped. “Oh, no!”

Viktor Krum had hit the dragon with a spell to the eyes that left it bellowing in agony. As they watched, it trampled half the real eggs before he grabbed the golden egg and escaped.

“I can’t believe they’re using nesting mothers,” Ginny lamented.

A Hungarian Horntail was soon settled in the enclosure with her nest of eggs, and Harry walked out with his wand raised.

“Come on Harry,” Hermione murmured under her breath. She was staring at him and then looking around towards Hogwarts.

Suddenly a broom hurtled towards Harry, and Ginny almost laughed in relief as he caught the Firebolt. He dived and swooped, missing the dragon breathing fire on him by seconds. He was looking for an opening, a way to get to the nest. As he got a bit too close, one of the long spikes of the dragon’s tail caught his shoulder, clearly leaving a bloody wound.

“Harry,” Ginny whimpered. She felt Anna’s hand squeeze hers firmly.

Harry acted as though he had not been injured. He continued to plummet and rise repeatedly, as close to the Hungarian Horntail as he could possibly get. Slowly, carefully, Harry enticed the dragon to leave her clutch of eggs and follow him. When she finally ascended in anger and frustration, he dove straight to the ground, grabbing the golden egg and soaring over the stands.

“Oh, thank Merlin,” Ginny whispered.

The first task was over, and Harry was okay.

Hermione and Ron raced down the stairs towards the tents where the champions were being treated, just as a deafening cheer of triumph arose from the stands. Ginny was pleased to observe that most of the students of Hogwarts were applauding for Harry. It was not just Gryffindor House. The two Hogwarts champions had successfully faced their dragons and completed the task of retrieving the golden egg. The crowd was ready to celebrate their accomplishments.

It was an elated group of Gryffindors that slowly exited the stands and began to make their way up to the castle. Ginny was not surprised when her brother Charlie caught sight of Fred and George, towards the front of the group, and beckoned them over. He was greeting them when he saw her and grinned.

“Hey, Ginny. Why don’t you bring Neville and Anna over here? I need a hug from my favorite sister!” Charlie called out.

“I’m your only sister!” Ginny exclaimed as Charlie picked her up into a tight hug.

“Still my favorite though,” he said. “How would you all like to come and get a look at the dragons up close?” he asked. “I was going to ask Ron and Hermione too, but I’m guessing they’re with Harry. He’s probably had enough of dragons for a while!”

“Yeah, we’re in,” Fred accepted, looking at George who nodded in confirmation.

“I’d love to see them!” Ginny said, glancing at Anna and Neville. “You’ll come too, won’t you?”

“Yes, thank you,” Anna agreed. Neville nodded.

They followed Charlie into the Forbidden Forest and soon came to the enclosure where the dragons were resting. Each female dragon had her body wrapped protectively around her nest of eggs and was carefully surveying the area and the dragon keepers, all except the Chinese Fireball. She seemed to be asleep. The boys spread out walking the perimeter to get a better look at each dragon.

“How is the Chinese Fireball doing?” Ginny asked.

“We had to give her a Sleeping Potion,” Charlie said, shaking his head. “Some people think dragons don’t have feelings, but she knows she lost half her eggs.”

“That task was horribly unfair to the dragons and to the champions,” Anna commented. “Animals shouldn’t be frightened and hurt for a competition, for people’s amusement. Those dragons had to be so afraid and confused, so desperate to protect their offspring.” Her lips were pressed together in a hard line, as she shook her head in obvious disapproval.

“Well, one thing I know for certain,” Charlie remarked quietly. “The reserve in Romania won’t allow dragons to be borrowed by the British Ministry again, especially not nesting mothers. I know full well my boss, Nicolas, was not made aware of the details of this little event. He’s going to be furious when we return with half a clutch of broken Chinese Fireball dragon eggs.”

They walked slowly around the enclosure, and Charlie told the girls about each dragon. Ginny was proud of how knowledgeable her brother sounded and how much he clearly liked working with each dragon.

As they were getting ready to leave, Ginny hugged Charlie tightly. “It was wonderful to see you again so soon! Visit more often, please.”

“I’ll make a better effort to visit regularly,” Charlie assured her. He said goodbye to his brothers and encouraged them to not get caught in too much trouble. Ginny noticed he didn’t tell them not to get in trouble, just not to get caught.

“Thank you so much, Charlie,” Neville said. “Seeing dragons like this has been an amazing experience.”

“Glad you enjoyed it,” Charlie replied.

“We enjoyed it very much,” Anna assured him with a bright smile. “They really are quite magnificent creatures.”

They left the Forbidden Forest and walked quickly up to the castle. Fred and George were eagerly planning out the details for a party as they were walking. It took a shockingly short amount of time for several platters of food, pumpkin juice, and butterbeer to arrive in the Gryffindor common room. The twins really were rather amazing! Dean Thomas had created a few banners to hang around the room which showed Harry flying around the Hungarian Horntail in search of the golden egg. Lee Jordan set off Filibuster’s Fireworks shortly after the food arrived, causing stars and sparks to repeatedly go off all around the large room.

When Harry entered the common room closely followed by Ron and Hermione, everyone cheered and yelled out their congratulations. Ginny was pleased to see Harry looking so calm and happy. He fixed himself a plate of food and sat down with his two best friends. She realized Ron must have apologized and obviously Harry had forgiven him. Hopefully, her brother wouldn’t get into a snit again any time soon.

“Looks like they’ve made up,” Anna quietly commented.

Neville nodded. “I think watching his best mate face a dragon had a rather enlightening effect on Ron.”

“It was certainly something to see,” Ginny murmured.

The rest of the evening passed in a happy blur. Harry briefly opened the golden egg so they could hear the clue about the second task, but slammed it shut when a screeching wail emanated from the empty egg. Neville ate a custard cream that turned him into a large canary. Fortunately, the effect did not last long, and Fred was immediately touting them as Canary Creams, their latest joke invention. Neville laughed along with everyone else once he was back to normal again. It was a wonderful ending to a very stressful day.

Reviews 144
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear