Search:

SIYE Time:10:50 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Darkness Within
By MollyandArthur

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Rape, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 144
Summary: Tom Riddle opened the Chamber of Secrets while he was a student at Hogwarts. He committed another horrific act that same year. Now decades later, the students of Hogwarts continue to be impacted by his crimes. How will Ginny and her friends handle the darkness within?
Hitcount: Story Total: 148763; Chapter Total: 6417







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 20
The Second Task

Anna was surprised when Hagrid was not there to teach the Care of Magical Creatures class. A woman identifying herself as Professor Grubbly-Plank was teaching in his place. Anna looked at Neville with concern.

“Hagrid’s never missed a class,” she murmured.

Neville shrugged. “He might be ill or something.”

Despite her concern for their missing teacher, the lesson was quite wonderful. Professor Grubbly-Plank had a large unicorn and was explaining their extraordinary magical properties. She also warned the students rather sternly about the precautions that should be taken when working with unicorns. One of the most important facts about adult unicorns was that they were not comfortable around human males. Therefore, all of the boys were ordered back as the girls were encouraged to come forward to pet the unicorn. Anna and Hermione were glowing with excitement at having the opportunity to touch a unicorn when they rejoined Neville, Ron, and Harry at the end of the class.

“Wow, what a wonderful lesson,” Hermione enthused.

Anna nodded. “It was fabulous to be able to see and touch a unicorn. They are such majestic creatures!”

Her smile faded as she saw the grim looks on all three of the boys’ faces.

“Look at this!” Harry demanded, thrusting a copy of the Daily Prophet into Hermione’s hands.

Anna joined Hermione in quickly reading the article that had so obviously upset Harry. It was titled ‘Dumbledore’s Giant Mistake’ and was written by the journalist Rita Skeeter. Her mouth fell open in shock as she read.

“How did she find out Hagrid’s mum was a giantess?” Hermione wondered aloud.

Anna’s shocked eyes met Neville’s, who just shrugged.

“I don’t know how she found out,” Harry snarled. “But we’ve got to get Hagrid back to teaching lessons where he belongs!”

However, Hagrid did not return to lessons, and he did not open his door when they tried to visit. In fact, no one saw him at all over the next couple of weeks. He didn’t even seem to be doing his normal gamekeeper duties on the grounds.

******************************** **************************************** *************

Anna was helping Ginny with her Ancient Runes homework in the common room one evening when Ron came over and announced that Hagrid would be back at work for their next lesson.

“What happened?” Ginny asked.

“Well,” Ron began with a grin. “Hermione started banging on Hagrid’s door, demanding that he open up and get over the whole ‘my mum was a giant’ thing, and start teaching again, and not let the horrible Rita Skeeter win by cheating him out of his job.”

Hermione sat down looking rather embarrassed. “Oh, do you have to tell about that part?”

“It was brilliant, Hermione!” Ron exclaimed. “So the door opened and Professor Dumbledore was standing there. He had been visiting Hagrid and heard everything Hermione yelled as she was banging on the door. He invited us all in for tea, and told Hagrid that we were proof that he should return to his work.”

“Well, it’s not like I thought the Headmaster could possibly be visiting Hagrid at that moment!” Hermione groaned.

Harry leaned against the back of the sofa. “The important part is that Hagrid will be back to teaching on Monday. We made it clear that he is not to blame for having a giantess for a mum. I mean no one is responsible for who their relatives are. Mine are certainly not great.”

Ginny smiled. “It will be nice to have Hagrid back!”

“Do you really believe that, Harry?” Anna asked quietly. “I mean that it’s not a person’s fault who their relatives are.”

“Of course,” Harry said. “It’s not Hagrid’s fault that his mum was a giant. It’s not Sirius’s fault that his whole family was dark. It’s not my fault that the Dursleys are so awful. Dumbledore says it’s all about our choices, the choices we make. Hagrid is kind and good to everyone. Sirius rebelled against his whole family to fight against Voldemort and the pure blood prejudice he was raised in. And, I’m nothing like my aunt and uncle!”

“I think we’re all just glad you’re not like your cousin Dudley!” Ron added, slapping Harry on the back.

They both laughed and walked off with Neville to start a game of exploding snap. Anna watched them leave and leaned back into the soft cushions of the sofa.

“Hermione,” Ginny began quietly glancing around. “I know it’s not my business or anything, but do you mind me asking about you and Viktor Krum?”

The older girl bit her lip and leaned forward. “What did you want to know?”

“What’s it like to be kissed?”

Hermione looked from Ginny to Anna, who was also very curious, though trying not to show it.

“Well, it’s quite nice actually,” Hermione said softly. “Viktor has definitely had some experience kissing, and he makes me feel so excited and wanted.”

“How do you know he has experience?” Ginny asked. “I mean besides the obvious that he’s a famous Quidditch player and girls probably throw themselves at him regularly.”

Hermione thought for a moment. “I guess because he wasn’t awkward at all. He supported the back of my neck with one hand and tilted his head so that we wouldn’t bump noses or anything. His lips were firm, but gentle. It was really just quite nice.” She was blushing now and shrugged her shoulders self-consciously.

“Do you want to kiss him again?” Anna asked.

“I don’t know,” she responded with a slight shake of the head. “I mean I like him, but he’s a few years older than me, and lives in a different country, and….” Her voice trailed off as she looked at Anna curiously. “Have you been kissed?”

“Only by Neville on the cheek, and I don’t think that counts!” Anna grinned. “Do you think Hagrid might continue the lessons on unicorns?”

“Oh, I hope so!” Hermione exclaimed.

They got their wish, as Hagrid did continue with lessons on unicorns. He even had two pure gold unicorn foals for class one day. They were less skittish than the adults and allowed the boys to pet them as well.

“They really are beautiful aren’t they,” Neville murmured as he stroked one. “Hard to imagine how magical they are; how a single unicorn hair powers my wand.”

“You power your wand, Neville,” Anna assured him. “The unicorn hair just focuses that power.”

He grinned and whispered, “Well, I’m glad we’re studying unicorns now instead of Blast-Ended Skrewts!”

******************* **************************************** **************************

As the date for the second task of the Triwizard Tournament approached, Ginny noticed Harry becoming obviously stressed. He also seemed to be spending most of his spare time in the library with Hermione and Ron. She figured they were searching for something and by the looks on their faces, whatever information they were looking for was not easy to find.

The evening before the task, Harry came into the common room alone, loaded down with books from the library. He had a slightly wild look about him as he dumped the books on a table in the corner and began to skim through them. As people started wishing him luck and heading up to bed, Ginny glanced repeatedly at the portrait hole. Where were Ron and Hermione? Why was Harry working alone and looking so desperate?

Turning to Anna and Neville, Ginny exclaimed, “We’ve got to help Harry!” just as Anna asked, “Do you think Harry needs help?” Both girls sighed and smiled at each other briefly.

“Let’s go over and see if there’s anything we can do,” Neville suggested.

They approached Harry quietly. He was rapidly turning pages in a book.

“What are you looking for, Harry?” Anna inquired.

He glanced up at them hopelessly. “A way to breathe underwater, and there’s nothing here!” He slammed the book shut and reached for another.

“Is that the next task?” Ginny asked. “You have to stay underwater. Where? In the lake?”

“Yeah,” Harry groaned. “They’ve got something at the bottom of the lake, and I’ve got to get it back. Only I can’t find a spell to let me breathe underwater for an hour.”

Everyone was silent for a moment as Harry continued to turn the pages of the book.

“Gillyweed,” Neville said slowly. “We’ve got to find a way to get some gillyweed.”

“What’s that?” Harry looked up with tired eyes.

“It’s a plant. You can eat it and grow gills, kind of like a fish, and you’ll be able to breathe underwater,” Neville explained. “I don’t know exactly how long it would last, but it’s the only thing I can think of.”

“Where can we find gillyweed?” Ginny asked.

“There should be some in one of the greenhouses, but of course they’re all locked,” said Neville.

“Professor Snape might have some in his Potions cupboard,” Anna added.

“Thanks guys,” Harry exhaled. “I think I’ll sneak out to the greenhouses and look there first.”

“Wait, there’s got to be an easier way to find it than you searching through the greenhouses all night,” Ginny said.

Anna nodded. “She’s right Harry. You need to ask Dobby!”

“What?” Harry muttered in confused exhaustion.

“Call for Dobby,” Anna suggested. “Ask him to search for gillyweed and bring it to you. Tell him it will either be in one of the greenhouses or in the Potions cupboard. He can find it far more quickly than you can!”

Harry took a deep breath, exhaling slowly with his eyes closed. “Dobby!”

A loud crack echoed through the empty Gryffindor common room.

“Harry Potter sir,” Dobby squeaked. “Oh, Harry Potter has called for Dobby. How can Dobby help Harry Potter?”

“I need gillyweed, Dobby. It will be in one of the greenhouses or in the Potions cupboard,” Harry said. “Please bring it to me if you find it.”

“Yes, sir, Harry Potter,” Dobby exclaimed. “Dobby will find gillyweed!” He vanished with a sharp crack.

An exhausted Ginny was rubbing her head. “Harry,” she began. “You said they had something at the bottom of the lake. Who has what exactly?”

“Well, I think there are mermaids, and you know, merpeople at the bottom of the lake. They’ve taken something I will miss,” he explained. “That’s what the clue said.”

Anna looked at Ginny with frightened eyes. “Something…or someone?” she exclaimed as she turned to Harry. “Where are Ron and Hermione?”

Harry’s eyes widened. “They were in the library with me when Fred and George came to get them. That was hours ago. They said Professor McGonagall wanted to see them and that she looked a bit…grim.”

“Do you think Ron and Hermione have been taken by merpeople in the lake because they are something Harry would miss?” Neville asked peering at his cousin.

Ginny was shaking her head slowly. “No,” she whispered. “I think they took Ron as the thing that Harry would miss and Hermione as the thing that Viktor Krum would miss.”

“But, Hermione and Viktor hardly know each other,” Harry murmured.

“I don’t know about that. I think he might miss the girl he snogged at the Yule Ball,” Ginny said.

Harry’s eyes bulged and he opened his mouth just as Dobby arrived.

“Dobby found gillyweed, Harry Potter sir!” he exclaimed handing over a clump of slimy green stems.

Neville leaned forward to get a better look. “Yep, that’s definitely gillyweed. Good job, Dobby!”

“Thanks, Dobby!” Harry sighed gratefully as he looked from the mess of green in his hand to his roommate. “You’re sure this will work? It’ll let me breathe underwater?”

“Gillyweed will definitely work,” Neville assured him. “I don’t know how long it will last in a fresh water lake, but it will allow you to breathe for a while anyway.”

“I owe you one,” he murmured. “Thanks! All of you!”

The girls were nodding and smiling. Anna nudged Neville slightly. “Good night!” she said quietly. Neville took the hint quickly.

“Come on mate,” he took Harry by the arm. “It’s past time for bed. Big day tomorrow. Let’s try to get some sleep.”

Neville guided a clearly exhausted Harry up the stairs to the boys’ dorm room.

Ginny whimpered slightly the moment they were out of sight. “Do you really think Ron and Hermione are at the bottom of the lake being held by merpeople?”

Anna rubbed her eyes tiredly. “I don’t know what to think. But, surely they are okay. I mean this is a planned tournament. The headmaster and other professors must be keeping them safe.”

“Yeah,” Ginny murmured. “Everyone did such a great job keeping students safe my first year here.”

Anna pressed her lips together hard. She didn’t know what to say. There was nothing to say. Arm in arm the girls walked slowly up the stairs.

******************************** **************************************** *************

The morning of the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, the boys in Harry’s dorm let him sleep in as long as possible. Neville whispered to them that Harry had been up late, and Seamus and Dean made an effort to be quiet. They even brought back a small stack of toast from the Great Hall to give to Harry when they woke him up.

Arriving at the lake, Neville knew they had been correct. Someone important to each champion had been taken and was being held by the merpeople at the bottom of the lake. He watched anxiously as Harry shoved the gillyweed into his mouth and tried to chew it for a moment before forcibly swallowing.

For one terrible moment, Neville was afraid the gillyweed had not worked. Then, he saw Harry dive suddenly under the water and not emerge from the lake’s freezing depths. The wait for the spectators was quite difficult. Anna and Ginny were standing beside him, holding hands, still and silent as they stared at the cold, dark water.

Suddenly the Beauxbatons’ champion, Fleur Delacour, emerged shrieking from the lake. She had been attacked by grindylow and was quite hysterical in her concern for her younger sister, Gabrielle. Her face and arms were covered in many small cuts and her robes were badly torn, but she just kept shrieking for Gabrielle and staring into the dark water of the lake.

Cedric was the next champion to emerge from the frigid waters. He had a sputtering Cho Chang beside him, who stopped coughing quickly and was soon looking at him with open admiration in her gaze. Madam Pomfrey covered them both quickly with warm blankets and was casting spells to make sure they were both okay when Krum suddenly appeared with Hermione. The sight of a being who was half shark and half human climbing out of the lake was alarming, and the crowd let out a collective sigh of relief when Krum returned to his normal human form. Madam Pomfrey threw blankets over their shoulders and cast quick spells to confirm their overall health.

The crowd’s attention returned to the lake as everyone watched the minutes slowly tick by. Harry and two hostages were beneath the still, black water.

“Where are they?” Ginny moaned softly.

“The professors aren’t panicking,” Anna murmured. “They must still be okay.” She glanced at Neville desperately to confirm this, and he nodded staring at the Headmaster.

Suddenly, the crowd started screaming and cheering, and Neville exhaled loudly in relief as he saw Harry, Ron, and a young girl, who must be Gabrielle, swimming slowly to the shore.

Ginny and Anna were squealing and hugging each other as the three were pulled out of the water and examined quickly by a rather frustrated Madam Pomfrey. She was wrapping the last three in blankets and forcing Pepperup Potion down their throats, while muttering about ‘dangerous tournaments’.

As Ludo Bagman called out the results of the contest and awarded points to each champion, those who knew Harry well were not surprised to hear that he was the first to reach the hostages, nor that he was the last out of the water because of his determination to bring all of the hostages safely to shore.

“He really does have a ‘saving people’ thing,” Ginny murmured.

Neville and Anna both smiled at her as they heard Ron loudly proclaim that Harry wasn’t being thick, he was just showing moral fiber.

********************** **************************************** ***********************

Bill arrived at the small tavern in Thessaly a few minutes before he was supposed to meet Charlie. They had been meeting at this quiet little place in Greece a couple of times a year for the last few years. It was a small magical community in the Chasia Mountains. Bill liked it because it was the kind of place where they would not be too closely noticed, even with their red hair. These were people who kept to themselves.

Charlie walked in, smiled at his brother, and purchased a bottle of tsipouro which he brought to the table along with a couple of glasses. Bill gave his brother a quick hug, and they both sat down and began drinking.

“Good to see you Charlie,” Bill said easily. “Sorry we couldn’t meet in December like we planned. That tomb we discovered was something else, and after Phil suffered that burn. Well, I just couldn’t get away for a while.”

“Not a problem,” Charlie said with a grin. “You heard all about the first task of the Triwizard Tournament, right?”

“Yeah,” Bill laughed. “Between Ron and Ginny, I think I got a fairly accurate account of how amazing Harry was -- and the other champions apparently managed well enough.”

“They did,” Charlie admitted taking a long drink from his glass. “We did lose some dragon eggs, though. The champions weren’t prepped well enough, and Nicolas was not told that the eggs would be vulnerable the way they were. He’s not too pleased with the British Ministry at the moment.”

“I hope your boss doesn’t blame you,” Bill said. “I mean you had no idea what they were planning.”

“No,” Charlie replied. “He knows I never would have okayed such a thing. Tell me more about what you’re doing in Egypt now.”

As Bill talked about his work in the tombs, both men drank until the waiter came over and took their order for the lamb stew and psomi. The rich stew and bread helped them remain relatively sober as they continued to drink their way through the bottle of tsipouro.

“So, how’s your girlfriend?” Bill asked. “Katerina, right?”

Charlie emptied his glass before looking up at his brother. “I broke up with Katerina.”

Bill stilled. “How long ago?” he asked.

“A while ago,” his brother admitted quietly, refilling both of their glasses and setting down the empty bottle. “September.”

“Charlie, what the hell…” Bill sighed in exasperation. He didn’t know how to finish the sentence.

“I know you don’t understand,” Charlie said quietly. “Truthfully, neither do I.” He took another sip of his drink. “She’s in my dreams all the time now. It’s not usually like before. Mostly, it’s really innocent. We’re flying in the orchard at the Burrow or swimming in the pond. Sometimes we’re just walking through a glen.”

“Merlin! She’s fifteen!”

Charlie nodded. “And I’m staying away from her. I’ve never even touched her hand.”

Bill took a slow breath staring at his brother. “I know you’ve done nothing wrong, Charlie. I just don’t understand what’s going on with you. Maybe it would be better if you were dating someone. If not Katerina, find another woman…”

“I’m not interested,” he said quietly. “Not remotely interested in anyone else. I’ve put in for a transfer to the Welsh Green Sanctuary or the Hebridean Black Sanctuary. It could be a few years before I get a spot of course. Openings don’t occur that often, but I’ll be back in Britain sometime soon.”

Bill’s mind raced as he drained his glass. None of this made sense. Charlie had dreamed of working in Romania, where they had a dozen different dragon species, since he was a sixth year at Hogwarts. Neither of the reserves in Britain had more than the single dragon species for which they were named. Setting down his empty glass, Bill looked at his brother. He truly didn’t understand and didn’t know what to say.

“Mum and Dad will be glad to have you home,” he finally said.

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed. “Please, don’t say anything though. It really could be a few years before the transfer goes through.”

Bill nodded silently.

Reviews 144
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear